Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why we will be discussing AV and electoral reform a lot more – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,870
edited July 4 in General
imageWhy we will be discussing AV and electoral reform a lot more – politicalbetting.com

What's this?Oh, nothing, really. Just a Telegraph columnist advocating that the Tories may need to campaign for PR. pic.twitter.com/mmjpqqi5rk

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,237
    edited June 21
    First. (Past the post.)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,681
    If the Tories campaign for PR for the next two decades as the opposition then win power through FPTP would anyone be gullible enough to back them at evens to then introduce PR?

We are stuck with FPTP barring a weird series of elections that create a hung parliament.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841
    @HasAhmed_
    As some friends know, I resigned from the Conservative Party & their parliamentary candidates list. It took years to make the list without inside help, and it was never easy.

I’m lucky to have met so many decent folks who truly mean well & hope we can maintain that relationship

https://x.com/HasAhmed_/status/1804096842981888364
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,050
    Absolutely so. Cons MPs won't be numerous enough for any PR campaign to make a difference, in what is ofc a huge irony.

Why look at this comment from earlier.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4834123#Comment_4834123
  • Options

@CorrectHorseBattery is to start his own blog so I understand. I will be happy to provide links to it when he puts something up.

Straight From The Horse's Mouth?
    Yes, my friend Horse is excited to start.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 19,952

Yes, every journey made is essential for whoever is making that journey for whatever reason they are making it.

We should be wanting to increase mobility and ensure more journeys can be made for whatever reason than they are now.

As we head into a cleaner, electric, future the cost of motoring ought to be a tiny fraction of what it is today and we ought to see many more journeys made. Cleanly.

Your definition of 'essential' appears to be one not found in any dictionary.

No matter how clean electric cars are we should not be encouraging more journeys. Going electric does not magically increase the capacity of the roads, it does not reduce parking problems, and it actually increases road maintenance costs. There's a strong (IMO) argument that more cars reduces overall mobility - if you doubled the number of cars on the road there would be gridlock, electric or not.

Actually improving ease of mobility for most people will involve a mix of better public transport, improved provision for cycling, increased use of light vehicles like motorcycles and scooters, and eventually hire-by-the-hour self driving electric cars.

In the village where I live traffic is often completely choked at busy times because far too many people get out their huge SUVs to go shopping. This in a place where you can literally walk from one end of the village to the other in 10 minutes. My neighbour always gets out her car to go shopping, even though we live a 3 minute walk from the shops. I can walk there, buy what I need and be home before she's even found a parking spot.

There needs to be an attitude change where cars are seen as a last resort when no other means of transport is suitable, or all of the current issues are just going to get worse.
    Yes it is in the dictionary.

Just to take one random dictionary website definition I'll go with "of the utmost importance" - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/essential

Every journey everyone is making is of the utmost importance to them at the time they are making it. That is why they are making it, if it wasn't, they'd be doing something different.

As for capacity, build more roads, problem solved. Good for your neighbour for taking her car shopping with her, that means she can put the shopping into her car.

If there's not enough roads for the volume of cars, build more. Our road capacity hasn't kept up with our population growth in recent years so it is a major thing we need to invest in.
    Yesterday evening, to mark the summer solstice, we drove to a viewpoint near the summit of a hill overlooking Bantry. I enjoyed the view, and, though the viewpoint is on the Sheep's Head walking trail, it wasn't practical for my wife to walk to the top instead of driving.

However, it's definitely a trip that I would classify as non-essential, but I disagree that frivolous journeys should necessarily be discouraged. Life is for fun as well as for necessity.
    I think taking some time to do something fun is of critical importance for people's emotional, physical and mental wellbeing.

Was your going to Bantry necessary? On the strictest, Covid-regulations definition of necessity perhaps not.

But is your looking after your wife's and your own mental, physical and emotional wellbeing necessary? Yes, it absolutely is. Did your trip to Bantry help with any of that? Yes, it probably did. So was it necessary? Yes, in a way it was.

This is the problem, by the end of Covid only doing what was "necessary" a lot of people's mental health was deeply damaged. I know mine was too. Because so many non-necessities are actually necessary for a well-rounded, healthy life. Mentally and physically, we need those connections.

They may be lower down (or higher up, depending upon viewpoint) the hierarchy of needs than the barest of necessities such as food and shelter, but they're still there.

Don't underestimate the importance of mental health.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,602

If the Tories campaign for PR for the next two decades as the opposition then win power through FPTP would anyone be gullible enough to back them at evens to then introduce PR?

We are stuck with FPTP barring a weird series of elections that create a hung parliament.

Unless a political party makes it one of the centrepieces of their manifesto so that when they get elected it's almost impossible for them to back out of it.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,468
    AV and Scottish independence in one thread, you lot don't know how lucky you all are.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Unless a political party makes it one of the centrepieces of their manifesto so that when they get elected it's almost impossible for them to back out of it.
    Blair promised it to Ashdown. Winners have no interest in it and will always find excuses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/376594.stm
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,816
    Scott_xP said:

@HasAhmed_
    As some friends know, I resigned from the Conservative Party & their parliamentary candidates list. It took years to make the list without inside help, and it was never easy.

I’m lucky to have met so many decent folks who truly mean well & hope we can maintain that relationship

What’s the story behind this?
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,461
    "Labour's coming dictatorship" LOL. It's like some of these people have never lost an election.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@HasAhmed_

What’s the story behind this?
    That the whole party organisation is falling apart
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,841
    It will take a long and sustained campaign to build the level of public support required to coerce a government elected under FPTP to introduce a proportional voting system, so I welcome converts to the cause.

The emphasis is always on the perceived unfairness to political parties by looking at national vote shares and seat counts, but I think an aspect of unfairness that might be more convincing to voters would be a large increase in constituencies that were won with very low shares of the vote. If your MP was elected with less than a third of the vote, do they really represent it, even if 29% was a plurality?

You can get a disproportionate national outcome where the vast majority of seats are won by a candidate with more than 40% of the vote, and that doesn't look that problematic to a voter when considering their seat. But a candidate winning on barely a quarter of the vote? That might offend more people's natural sense of justice.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,914
    edited June 21
    FPT:

Interesting piece by Mark Pack, formerly of this parish:

https://www.markpack.org.uk/173220/the-sad-puppy-gambit-and-other-general-election-news-ldn-185/

"Having run through a sackful of other messages that didn’t work, [the Conservatives are] going for the pity vote. Don’t vote for us because you like our policies or because we’ve got a good leader or because we’ve done a good job. Vote for us, please, so we don’t get wiped out.

"It is known as the Queensland Gambit after an Australian election back in the 1990s where it worked.

"It is the political equivalent of the sad puppy photo that dog rescue centres use:

(How could I not use my one daily picture on a cute doggy? Awwww.)

I googled "Queensland Gambit" and found this by Clive James:

For Hague to snatch a victory, the Queensland gambit would have to work. On the weekend, the press told us a lot about the Queensland gambit, a stratagem which can be outlined in a single sentence if you don’t mind doing without the graphs and pie-charts. The side sure to lose warns against the dictatorial ambitions of the side sure to win, whereupon everybody votes for the side sure to lose, which then wins. It worked in Queensland, but you have to remember that Australia’s most fun-filled state is also the place where the responsible authorities took a long look at the first cane toad and decided it was environmentally friendly. By the time they found out that it could poison a moving car and couldn’t be killed with a flame-thrower, it had spawned a million children and learned to vote.

If it's Dr Pack, you need to remember that this article is part of his game of EIGHT dimensional chess !!

When he used to write a column for my Wardman Wire blog, he had a fun game he played with Iain Dale for quite a long time, when Iain Dale's Diary was generally Top Political Blog.

He would put a piece on Lib Dem Voice baiting Iain Dale or debunking provocatively an Iain Dale blog piece. Then Iain Dale would write a short piece saying "Mark Park has done this ..." or "Over on LDV they have said *this* ... Bah Humbug".

Iain Dale's blog being the more authoritative of the two, that link would help place the LDV piece in Google Results at that time above the Iain Dale piece for searches done by the more general Google audience - which was the one Dr Pack wished to read LDV not Iain Dale.

Quite basic blog strategy, but fun.

(Schrodinger's Cat deleted your puppy.)
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,074
    That's a wonderful prediction you have reproduced there, TSE. Modesty forbids me from mentioning the name of the PBer who predicted exactly that as the GE result. :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,323

AV Referendum 2011:

No2AV 68%
    Yes2AV 32%
  • Options

"Labour's coming dictatorship" LOL. It's like some of these people have never lost an election.

If you were born in the 1950s and voted the same way as your age cohort, you won't have done.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,285
    Sorry but AV was put to a referendum in 2014 - so given the requirement for things to be once in a generation we can have another referendum about it in 2032 for implementation in the 2036 election...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,665

It's truly pathetic isn't it? What a sad bunch of wimps.
  • Options
    eek said:

Sorry but AV was put to a referendum in 2014

2011!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,517
    Not sure the last sentence says what you want it to say?

Minor note: Starmer won an outright majority on the first round, so the benefits of AV are rather moot in his case.
  • Options
    edited June 21
    "if it is good enough for him then it is good enough for him."

I don't get this sentence at the end of the Header!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,644
    The idea AV would produce a significantly different outcome is for the birds I think.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,848

Yes, every journey made is essential for whoever is making that journey for whatever reason they are making it.

We should be wanting to increase mobility and ensure more journeys can be made for whatever reason than they are now.

As we head into a cleaner, electric, future the cost of motoring ought to be a tiny fraction of what it is today and we ought to see many more journeys made. Cleanly.

No matter how clean electric cars are we should not be encouraging more journeys. Going electric does not magically increase the capacity of the roads, it does not reduce parking problems, and it actually increases road maintenance costs. There's a strong (IMO) argument that more cars reduces overall mobility - if you doubled the number of cars on the road there would be gridlock, electric or not.

Actually improving ease of mobility for most people will involve a mix of better public transport, improved provision for cycling, increased use of light vehicles like motorcycles and scooters, and eventually hire-by-the-hour self driving electric cars.

In the village where I live traffic is often completely choked at busy times because far too many people get out their huge SUVs to go shopping. This in a place where you can literally walk from one end of the village to the other in 10 minutes. My neighbour always gets out her car to go shopping, even though we live a 3 minute walk from the shops. I can walk there, buy what I need and be home before she's even found a parking spot.

There needs to be an attitude change where cars are seen as a last resort when no other means of transport is suitable, or all of the current issues are just going to get worse.

Just to take one random dictionary website definition I'll go with "of the utmost importance" - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/essential

Every journey everyone is making is of the utmost importance to them at the time they are making it. That is why they are making it, if it wasn't, they'd be doing something different.

As for capacity, build more roads, problem solved. Good for your neighbour for taking her car shopping with her, that means she can put the shopping into her car.

If there's not enough roads for the volume of cars, build more. Our road capacity hasn't kept up with our population growth in recent years so it is a major thing we need to invest in.
    Yesterday evening, to mark the summer solstice, we drove to a viewpoint near the summit of a hill overlooking Bantry. I enjoyed the view, and, though the viewpoint is on the Sheep's Head walking trail, it wasn't practical for my wife to walk to the top instead of driving.

However, it's definitely a trip that I would classify as non-essential, but I disagree that frivolous journeys should necessarily be discouraged. Life is for fun as well as for necessity.
    I think taking some time to do something fun is of critical importance for people's emotional, physical and mental wellbeing.

Was your going to Bantry necessary? On the strictest, Covid-regulations definition of necessity perhaps not.

But is your looking after your wife's and your own mental, physical and emotional wellbeing necessary? Yes, it absolutely is. Did your trip to Bantry help with any of that? Yes, it probably did. So was it necessary? Yes, in a way it was.

This is the problem, by the end of Covid only doing what was "necessary" a lot of people's mental health was deeply damaged. I know mine was too. Because so many non-necessities are actually necessary for a well-rounded, healthy life. Mentally and physically, we need those connections.

They may be lower down (or higher up, depending upon viewpoint) the hierarchy of needs than the barest of necessities such as food and shelter, but they're still there.

Size of properties also figures into this. Some planners seem to have no interest or understanding of the effect that living in very small spaces has on humans.
  • Options

Not sure the last sentence says what you want it to say?

Minor note: Starmer won an outright majority on the first round, so the benefits of AV are rather moot in his case.

Oops, fixed now.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,837
    I don't have a problem with PR. It would ensure an independent Tory party on even 10-15% of the vote would still win 65-100 seats for example whereas under FPTP it wouldn't win any seats at all.

In NZ, Italy and Israel and Sweden there are now right of centre coalition governments in power in PR systems so the argument it would always lead to Labour led governments doesn't work. It would also ensure the SNP couldn't win a majority of Scottish seats as TSE says on less than half the vote and also it would avoid Labour landslides on less than 45% of the vote as we will likely get now.

It would also mean no more Tory landslides and fewer majority governments of one party but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing if it leads to more consensus and higher turnout as all votes count. I would prefer the German style system though with FPTP constituencies and PR top up lists so a constituency link is retained for some MPs
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Blair promised it to Ashdown. Winners have no interest in it and will always find excuses.

I thought that was only if Blair had to rely, formally or informally, on Ashdown's support, which given a 179 seat majority wasn't necessary.
  • Options
    edited June 21
    eek said:

Sorry but AV was put to a referendum in 2014 - so given the requirement for things to be once in a generation we can have another referendum about it in 2032 for implementation in the 2036 election...

In 2021 the average age of mothers was 30.9 years, and of fathers 33.7 years, so a generation length is currently 32.3 years.

That would place the next AV referendum in 2043. The Scottish IndyRef was in October 2014, so we can pencil in another for early 2047...
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,474

Many of them haven't. Here's the list of MPs by when they were first elected;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_MPs_by_seniority_(2019–2024)

Very few vetrans of 1997 there, and not many of the long exile 1997-2010.

Tim Stanley was a schoolboy when Blair's new dawn broke.

Those currently in charge in the Conservatives (and more, importantly, those likely to end up in charge soon) don't have a clue what is about to hit them.

Government is fame and glory and importance and big offices and chauffeurs and being interviewed by Terry Wogan. Opposition is impotence and insignificance and people at parties asking you if you know Robin Day.

There is always a Yes, Minister quote.
  • Options
    eek said:

Australia has AV and it seems to work OK there. Indeed the only nations which still use exclusively FPTP for national elections now are Belarus, Canada, the USA, India and a handful of nations in Africa, the Middle East, Caribbean and South Asia as well as the UK of course
  • Options
    edited June 21
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

Australia has AV and it seems to work OK there. Indeed the only nations which still use exclusively FPTP for national elections now are Belarus, Canada, the USA, India and a handful of nations in Africa, the Middle East, Caribbean and South Asia as well as the UK of course
    Perhaps the Tory party should have campaigned for it in 2011 (edited as Sunil corrected me) then...

• Options
    pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited June 21
    The problem for the right isn't the electoral system, it's far more fundamental than that.

They don't have enough votes.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,460
    edited June 21
    I think the chance of SKS giving up a +200 seat majority by implementing AV or PR are... slim... 😂
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,462

Andy_JS said:

Some classic examples of can kicking in that article:

- "Since recommendations from an independent commission investigating alternatives to first-past-the-post voting could not be implemented before the next election, there was a case for postponing a referendum"

- "Home Secretary Jack Straw has also announced that he was commissioning a survey which could discover if the record low turnout in the Euro-election was due to the new PR voting system which was used"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,020
    eek said:

There is no such requirement - and in any case, it could (and has) been introduced for elections in this country by simple act of Parliament.

But if it really bothers you, let's make it STV.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I thought that was only if Blair had to rely, formally or informally, on Ashdown's support, which given a 179 seat majority wasn't necessary.
    Labour manifesto 1997

We are committed to a referendum on the voting system for the House of Commons. An independent commission on voting systems will be appointed early to recommend a proportional alternative to the first-past-the-post system.
  • Options
    I can't cringe any harder...

@SunPolitics

Vote Labour and Keir will never leave No.10, Rishi Sunak blasts

https://x.com/SunPolitics/status/1804145207291654314
  • Options
    edited June 21

eek said:

Sorry but AV was put to a referendum in 2014

2011!
    So a referendum in 2029 then...
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,461

If you were born in the 1950s and voted the same way as your age cohort, you won't have done.
    That's an interesting way of looking at it. I guess there will be some sad boomers in the next few weeks. Oh well never mind. Tim Stanley wasn't born in the 1950s though, even though he acts like it.
  • Options
    eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Perhaps the Tory party should have campaigned for it in 2014 then...

I voted for AV in 2011, with just 32% of fellow UK AV voters
  • Options
    edited June 21
    GIN1138 said:

I think the chance of SKS giving up a +200 seat majority by implementing AV or PR are... slim... 😂

Yes, a third of elected Labour MPs won't want to make themselves redundant with PR
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,462
    HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

So you have a 100% record of voting against Dominic Cummings in referendums.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

Wise chap, that Mr @HYUFD.
  • Options
    po8crgpo8crg Posts: 26
    I think there are very good arguments for non-proportional voting systems where larger parties get more than their proportional share of the vote. I think there are no useful arguments for a voting system that shifts around the order of the parties.

If the result of this election is, in terms of votes: Labour, Reform, Conservative, Lib Dem, Green, SNP
    and in terms of seats: Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, SNP, Green, Reform, then that seems to me a far worse problem than Labour getting 65% of the MPs on 45% of the vote.

While that result is probably a pathologically worst case scenario, the chances that the Lib Dems get more MPs and fewer votes than Reform have to be close to 100%. The Greens and Reform have similar chances of similar numbers of MPs, though Reform are getting about three times as many votes according to the polls.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,463

Pulpstar said:

The idea AV would produce a significantly different outcome is for the birds I think.

I think we’d get a slightly different result under multi member STV which would be my first choice.
    We'd definitely get a different result. Instead of it being announced on Friday morning, we'd have to wait until the middle of the following week.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,417
    po8crg said:

I think there are very good arguments for non-proportional voting systems where larger parties get more than their proportional share of the vote. I think there are no useful arguments for a voting system that shifts around the order of the parties.

If the result of this election is, in terms of votes: Labour, Reform, Conservative, Lib Dem, Green, SNP
    and in terms of seats: Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, SNP, Green, Reform, then that seems to me a far worse problem than Labour getting 65% of the MPs on 45% of the vote.

While that result is probably a pathologically worst case scenario, the chances that the Lib Dems get more MPs and fewer votes than Reform have to be close to 100%. The Greens and Reform have similar chances of similar numbers of MPs, though Reform are getting about three times as many votes according to the polls.

That assumes geographical homogeneity, though. Which is demonstrably untrue for the UK.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

Didn't someone else once say they would go "on and on" - the Sun didn't mind that. Boris Johnson was also expecting to be in No.10 for a minimum of 10 years.
  • Options
    I bet some supporters of AV voted against it in 2011 in order to spite the Con/LD coalition which they didn't like.
  • Options
    po8crg said:

Thats a perfectly reasonable way of looking at but there are hundreds of other ways of looking at it too. Each have their pros and cons. The chance of any of the reasonable ways getting enough public support to overturn the current system is slim.

The chance of any of those ways both getting enough public support and then a new government elected by FPTP to change the system are beyond slim.

I'll always vote for fairer voting when offered the chance but it is a waste of time and energy to campaign for it imo.
  • Options
    edited June 21
    HYUFD said:

I would prefer the German style system though with FPTP constituencies and PR top up lists so a constituency link is retained for some MPs

On this point, Ireland uses STV and will elect 174 TDs from 43 constituencies at the next election, an average of just over 4 TDs per constituency, ranging from 3 to 5. Because there is one TD per 30,000 people, this means that the constituencies are not far off from being the same size as Westminster constituencies.

However, politics is far more local in Ireland than in Britain, to an often farcical degree, but it does demonstrate that if the voters value local representation, they can get it by voting for it under STV.

If used in a similar way in Britain, Epping Forest might conceivably end up as part of a West Essex constituency electing four MPs, containing the current seats of Epping Forest, Harlow, Brentwood & Ongar, and North West Essex. If there was particular antipathy between the voters of Saffron Walden and Brentwood, at opposite ends of such a constituency, they'd likely be able to elect their own local champions, if West Essex was too big for them.

Would that be enough of a constituency link for you?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,514

HYUFD said:

eek said:

HYUFD said:

eek said:

That's not a bad record.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I bet some supporters of AV voted against it in 2011 in order to spite the Con/LD coalition which they didn't like.

I voted against AV because it's not proportional.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,159

The point is, though, that by satisfying our needs at the apex of the pyramid, we may be denying the satisfaction of more basic needs to future generations. That's the heart of the issue. Should we be prepared to undergo any sort of hardship at all in order to spare our descendants greater hardship? You say no; I say yes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,729

Telegraph writers are in the main having a collective nervous breakdown over the coming loss.

Britain is finished etc etc...
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,085
    OT, I think I was, like TSE, one of the few Tories (yep I used to be one back then) that voted in favour of AV. It seems obvious to me that it is a far better system than FPTP. The reality is that the Conservative Party had the opportunity to do electoral reform and flunked it. Now Labour will do it, and like their gerrymandering of devolution (which went slightly wrong for them), they will try to make sure it favours them and them alone.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
    "It's SHITE being AV!"
  • Options

The point is, though, that by satisfying our needs at the apex of the pyramid, we may be denying the satisfaction of more basic needs to future generations. That's the heart of the issue. Should we be prepared to undergo any sort of hardship at all in order to spare our descendants greater hardship? You say no; I say yes.
    No, that's not the point.

We should be, and are, transitioning to adopting clean technologies to ensure the world is better for our descendents.

The boring truth is we're doing the right thing already.

It takes time to implement technological changes. But TINA applies.

There is no reason whatsoever for anyone today to sacrifice their economic, physical or mental wellbeing on the grounds of future generations - the only thing that makes a difference to the future is a simple binary choice - do we transition to clean technologies or not?

If we do transition to clean technologies, then you can have as much clean transport or clean consumption as you want.

If we don't transition to clean technologies, then the world is f***ed.

Consuming marginally less, moving marginally less, makes all the difference as pissing into the ocean or farting into the wind.
  • Options
    Afternoon all :)

Electoral reform - get me started !!

The argument for PR at local level is now irrefutable. We need to allow for Independents to stand and that's the potential issue - the question is whether we retain the current Ward structure or whether we just have a single vote for a whole authority.

At Westminster I've wavered a little over the years but this election and the (hopeful) result will put the final nail through the coffin of FPTP. There are all sorts of systems out there including MMP in New Zealand if you want to retain the traditional Party structure but provide proportionality for smaller parties (5% threshold?).

We could go straight to STV - you would rapidly move to two "blocs" of parties with other parties existing outside but occasionally supporting them. It wouldn't the end of "democracy" but it would change the current system where millions of votes are counted but don't count to the final result.

AV wouldn't the answer - if you think it is, you don't understand the question.
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 424
    Everyone saying it's impossible for FPTP to be changed, how did other countries manage it?

From what I can see there's a mixed record for it being changed. India and US* haven't, Australia and Ireland have, for example. So it's clearly doable.

*I don't consider US a good example of how to/how not to change anything cause of their fetishisation of their constitution
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,979
    Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

Sounds a bit sinister that, like he's booby trapped the whole place :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

Sounds a bit sinister that, like he's booby trapped the whole place :open_mouth:
    "Vote for me, or Larry the Cat gets it!"
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,979

Andy_JS said:

We needed AV for the referendum :wink:
    Ranked choice of several available PR systems, plus AV, plus FPTP. Then perhaps the PR purists would still have given AV a secondary vote.
  • Options
    edited June 21
    Richi take note...

California Dreamer in the 2:30 at Ascot came 5th.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,807
    HYUFD said:

I don't have a problem with PR. It would ensure an independent Tory party on even 10-15% of the vote would still win 65-100 seats for example whereas under FPTP it wouldn't win any seats at all.

In NZ, Italy and Israel and Sweden there are now right of centre coalition governments in power in PR systems so the argument it would always lead to Labour led governments doesn't work. It would also ensure the SNP couldn't win a majority of Scottish seats as TSE says on less than half the vote and also it would avoid Labour landslides on less than 45% of the vote as we will likely get now.

It would also mean no more Tory landslides and fewer majority governments of one party but that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing if it leads to more consensus and higher turnout as all votes count. I would prefer the German style system though with FPTP constituencies and PR top up lists so a constituency link is retained for some MPs

There is much joy in heaven at the repentance of a sinner!
  • Options

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

I'd happily vote for Larry the Cat if it ensured that Sunak and the rest of this rotten government got it.
  • Options

OT, I think I was, like TSE, one of the few Tories (yep I used to be one back then) that voted in favour of AV. It seems obvious to me that it is a far better system than FPTP. The reality is that the Conservative Party had the opportunity to do electoral reform and flunked it. Now Labour will do it, and like their gerrymandering of devolution (which went slightly wrong for them), they will try to make sure it favours them and them alone.

Or they won't bother as they have other things to deal with.

Better to suggest a plan as part of the 2028 manifesto and avoid a referendum...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,020
    edited June 21

Everyone saying it's impossible for FPTP to be changed, how did other countries manage it?

From what I can see there's a mixed record for it being changed. India and US* haven't, Australia and Ireland have, for example. So it's clearly doable.

*I don't consider US a good example of how to/how not to change anything cause of their fetishisation of their constitution

It's not the 'fetishisation' of their constitution that's the problem. It the sheer procedural difficulty of changing it - which requires a nationwide consensus impossible in the last half century.

In contrast, a simple majority vote in Parliament can do it here (though occasionally generates the odd complaint).
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,514
    edited June 21

I'm not categorising you as a Conservative, Mr F, although I suppose it's arguable that one can, noways, differentiate between Conservatives and Tories, but I think the current Government and it's supporters have a nerve when they complain about possible Labour gerrymandering.
    During the past eight years we';v seen efforts to making voting more difficult for young people, altered the size of constituencies on a basis which assists the Conservatives and enfranchised overseas voters who, it was thought, would be more likely to vote the 'Right' way. We've also seen attacks on Parliament when it refused to do what the (Conservative) Government wanted.

Edit: and of course the change of system for the Mayoral and PCC elections!

• Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 643
    Everyone talks about FPTP as if there are no alternatives - There are 3 or 4 alternative systems already in use in UK alone.

Scotland uses AMS system - Wales also did previously and will now switch to a PR system in 2026.

NI uses STV as does Scottish Council elections.

PCC used to use ATV.

Plenty of real life examples to consider - plenty of pros and cons to think about. All of them more representative than FPTP.
  • Options

Ireland have used STV since the beginning. When you have a war of independence it tends to encourage a bit of utopian thinking when writing a new constitution. It's a bit harder to make the change to an established system.
  • Options

I don't remember such concerns when the Conservatives were heading toward a landslide in 1983 or 1987 or 2019.

All Rishi Sunak has left is fear - all his other "ideas" have run into the sand.

He can now choose to lose gracefully as Sir John Major or disgracefully. As to what happens to the Conservative Party after July 5th, so much will depend on the breadth and depth of the defeat.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 11,015
    Funny comment on Angela Richardson's Facebook page today. Her story is about a local charity worker supporting her. Here is the comment:

David Harlow
    Are any of them gambling charities? Just asking because it seems like a few of your soon to be ex-colleagues could do with a referral.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,062

Telegraph writers are in the main having a collective nervous breakdown over the coming loss.

Britain is finished etc etc...
    They are

I am opposed to PR not because 'I have played by the rules and won by the rules' but because PR gives disproportionate power to minority and fringe interest groups. The tail can all too easily end up wagging the dog. And in today’s world that’s the last thing we need.

I’d rather have FPTP which favours centrism. It's the lesser of evils.

Anyway, it’s moot. The Right can bleat all they like but to be taken credibly they should have campaigned for it just after their last victory, not when they are about to lose.

They have no one to blame but themselves. Not the system. Not Labour. Themselves.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,417
    edited June 21

TBF it was the Labour-Liberal alliance (of convenience at the time) that tried to fiddle the Holyrood system to suit them. Not Labour alone.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Scott_xP said:

@SunPolitics

Mind you, let's be realistic. If Sunak was laying traps all over Downing Street, rakes, banana skins etc, on current form he'd be the one ending up on his arse and then with a rake handle in his face, while SKS moved serenely through the minefield.
    Rishi Sunak is the living embodiment of Sideshow Bob when it comes to rakes.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 11,250
    In this election I think AV would deliver an extreme result: it would essentially mandate tactical voting. It could lead to a complete Tory wipeout, especially if a lot of Tory voters put Reform as second choice in target seats, but Reform voters don't put Con as second choice.

STV would lead to a Lab-Lib coalition on current vote shares, but Green would almost certainly take votes off both under that system so might end up in government too.
  • Options
    MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 123

We should be, and are, transitioning to adopting clean technologies to ensure the world is better for our descendents.

There is no reason whatsoever for anyone today to sacrifice their economic, physical or mental wellbeing on the grounds of future generations - the only thing that makes a difference to the future is a simple binary choice - do we transition to clean technologies or not?

If we do transition to clean technologies, then you can have as much clean transport or clean consumption as you want.

Consuming marginally less, moving marginally less, makes all the difference as pissing into the ocean or farting into the wind.

It seems that there is a tipping point around 35% where Labour go from also run to massive majority, maybe I have a dark green sense of humour but I laughed.

I thought ho ho. If they don’t like this electoral tipping point wait till they see the effects of the Atlantic Meridonal Overturning Current being stopped by the Greenland ice sheet melting.

Only a small chance in our lifetimes. Not to worry.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I would prefer the German style system though with FPTP constituencies and PR top up lists so a constituency link is retained for some MPs

On this point, Ireland uses STV and will elect 174 TDs from 43 constituencies at the next election, an average of just over 4 TDs per constituency, ranging from 3 to 5. Because there is one TD per 30,000 people, this means that the constituencies are not far off from being the same size as Westminster constituencies.

However, politics is far more local in Ireland than in Britain, to an often farcical degree, but it does demonstrate that if the voters value local representation, they can get it by voting for it under STV.

If used in a similar way in Britain, Epping Forest might conceivably end up as part of a West Essex constituency electing four MPs, containing the current seats of Epping Forest, Harlow, Brentwood & Ongar, and North West Essex. If there was particular antipathy between the voters of Saffron Walden and Brentwood, at opposite ends of such a constituency, they'd likely be able to elect their own local champions, if West Essex was too big for them.

Would that be enough of a constituency link for you?
    Yes as long as it is done by part of the county not by region, the former is still local enough, the latter too large for a local link
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,729

CNN News Central

@NewsCentralCNN

"I believe this will be the highest debate audience that we've ever had...this will be the most important day of the entire election campaign."

Ahead of next week's presidential debate on CNN,
    @FrankLuntz & @Boris_Sanchez discuss what's at stake for the candidates.

https://x.com/NewsCentralCNN/status/1803538551046353184
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    GIN1138 said:

As things are likely to stand on July 5th, then of course you're right, but wind the clock forward by 5 years when Labour's majority might be in the range of say 40 - 60 seats and you just might get a different response. Much might then depend on the political complexion of the 3rd and 4th parties and their respective size in terms of seats.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Do you think there's a stronger argument for PR at local level?

In Newham, Labour won 61% of the vote and 64 of the 66 seats. The Greens got 16.5% and 2 seats. The 14% who voted Conservative got nothing as did the 8.5% who voted for the other parties.

I'm not disputing the fact Labour won a majority of the vote and therefore a majority of the seats but if you apply the 5% threshold for votes, you can argue Labour should have 44 under a proportional system, the Greens 12 and the Conservatives ten.

PR would therefore allow for the election of 10 Conservatives and a Conservative voice on the Council, albeit a minority but still a voice. The current system means Conservative voters have no voice.

That's not right and I think piloting STV in local elections might be a good start but with safeguards for local Independents.
  • Options

Ireland have used STV since the beginning. When you have a war of independence it tends to encourage a bit of utopian thinking when writing a new constitution. It's a bit harder to make the change to an established system.
    I stand corrected (for some reason I thought the first dall was fptp)... but there's quite a list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting#Former_use of countries that have switched. Plenty of them recently enough.
    Nigelb said:

It's not the 'fetishisation' of their constitution that's the problem. It the sheer procedural difficulty of changing it - which requires a nationwide consensus impossible in the last half century.

In contrast, a simple majority vote in Parliament can do it here (though occasionally generates the odd complaint).
    That too. But it wouldn't be so hard to get that consensus for change if they didn't have such a hard on for it (and the founding fathers).
  • Options
    DopermeanDopermean Posts: 86
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

There is much joy in heaven at the repentance of a sinner!
    All of those "right of centre" coalitions include a party/parties described as far right or hard right nationalist.
    The trend seems to be for alliances to emerge on the right or left, but not across the moderate centre and on the right for domination of those alliances to drift further right.
    I used to be in favour of PR but I fear that the reality in the UK would be a shift from historically a broad church Conservative party moderating or excluding far right elements, to a centre-right alliance of Lib Dem/Con/Reform increasingly dominated by Reform (or other far right party) over time. As it has been elsewhere.
  • Options

As ever, you simplify to the point of absurdity. It is not a matter of binary choices, but sliding scales. The more we reduce our emissions, the less the likelihood of harm coming to our descendants. Some emissions can be reduced by improved technology, which is great, but some will likely require lifestyle changes, which you apparently refuse to countenance. That seems selfish to me.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,040
    Tories: What was it about the 2024 GE election result that first attracted you to PR, after decades of support for FPTP?
  • Options
    TimS said:

In this election I think AV would deliver an extreme result: it would essentially mandate tactical voting. It could lead to a complete Tory wipeout, especially if a lot of Tory voters put Reform as second choice in target seats, but Reform voters don't put Con as second choice.

STV would lead to a Lab-Lib coalition on current vote shares, but Green would almost certainly take votes off both under that system so might end up in government too.

Labour would split with the opportunities of STV for smaller parties. We'd see how strong the Socialist Campaign Group was electorally.

It would give centre-right parties more of a chance in urban areas, and left-wing parties more of a chance in rural areas, encouraging both to broaden their appeal.
  • Options
    Unchanged England win the toss and put the Saffers in.
  • Options

It seems that there is a tipping point around 35% where Labour go from also run to massive majority, maybe I have a dark green sense of humour but I laughed.

I thought ho ho. If they don’t like this electoral tipping point wait till they see the effects of the Atlantic Meridonal Overturning Current being stopped by the Greenland ice sheet melting.

Only a small chance in our lifetimes. Not to worry.
    This sort of thing makes it blindingly obvious to me that at some point we're going to have to geoengineer our way out of trouble, make all these sacrificies we could be making now totally pointless.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 424
    edited June 21

AV and Scottish independence in one thread, you lot don't know how lucky you all are.

next time could we get a subtle ABBA in there somewhere, please...........
  • Options

I stand corrected (for some reason I thought the first dall was fptp)... but there's quite a list at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-past-the-post_voting#Former_use of countries that have switched. Plenty of them recently enough.
    Well, the first Dail was elected in 1918, when Ireland was still part of the UK, and so it used the electoral system of the hated oppressors. And similarly for the election of the second Dail, under the auspices of the Government of Ireland Act. But the third Dail was the first elected when the Irish chose their own rules for the election, and that used STV.

So it's a bit messier then I made out, but it's not like they switched in 1952 after a few decades.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,062
    edited June 21
    ALSO, didn’t the Conservatives do away with PR for the London mayorality?

They dumped the Supplementary Vote system and moved it to FPTP.

Was Tim Stanley complaining then?
This discussion has been closed.