Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why do some right wing Tory MPs want to overturn a democratic vote? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,346
    edited June 18
    Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Reform paid a vetting company £144k to carry out candidate checks. Not a single piece of work was delivered.

Colin Bloom has links to the Tory party & has very serious questions to answer.

Lawyers have been instructed. We do not rule out police action."

https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1803023561939882366

Somebody saw them coming.
  • Options
    DoubleDutchDoubleDutch Posts: 161
    TOPPING said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

There's no need for confusion on the tax question. Labour will raise ALL taxes, they won't have any choice

Everyone knows that, the size of their majority depends upon which ones they admit they are planning to raise.
    Labour are gonna end up hated, really quite quickly

After that, Farage beckons
    Ah so this is an interesting (!) self-help strategy to cope with the prospect of a landslide Labour government - convince yourself it will lead to the triumph of the Hard Right.
    You can read it as you wish, I don't give a tiny scintilla of an iota of a soupcon of an atomic nano-fuck how you perceive me
    It is obviously going to be easier if you could let us know whose opinion of you you do care about then you don't have to spell it out each time to each poster.

I'll help you to get the process going.

You really, really care what I think of you and a strenuous denial will simply be proof that you are super affected by my opinion of you.
    That;s actually an interesting question. Whose opinion matters to me. It would have to be PB-ers whose intellect I respect, and/or who can ban me

So that's RCS and TSE

After that

@Richard_Nabavi

@IshmaelZ

(now sadly gone)

Sometimes @Gardenwalker and @FrancisUrquhart and a couple of others (I'll spare their blushes)

And @Peter_the_Punter because I've met him and he's a genuinely nice guy

They all think you're a c**t if that helps.
    Lol!!!

Why does Leon keep sucking up to @TSE? Does he know he is skating on thin ice or something?

I'm enjoying it on here but, yeah, Leon is a **** - insert four letter word of choice.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,039
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't believe for one second that a significant number of Tory MPs will join Reform after the election.

For the first thing, that would require there to be a significant number of Tory MPs after the election.

Well played.

In all seriousness I don't think it the most likely scenario, but I think it's possible.

I think it more likely that if the Tories are sub 100 seats that a leadership candidate advocating merger with Reform could emerge, off the threat of MPs jumping ship.
    I think this is true, and was the point of my header the other day, that that's why the Conservative brand has to be Ratnered in the election, so Farage or Tory-Farage can't build off it.
    The more it is Ratnered the more Farage can take over as leader of the right of centre in this country
    He can be leader - if it's Ratnered, no one will vote for it, just like no one shopped in Ratner's and it had to be shut down. The centre right can come back with a new name - just like Ratner's did.
    Even today's Focaldata has 37% voting for the Tories and ReformUK combined, just 6% behind Labour on 43% and miles ahead of the LDs on 10% and Greens on 5% and SNP on 2%.

Once Starmer likely becomes PM voters will want a choice not an echo from the LDs and if the Tories can't provide it as a functioning main opposition then Farage will ensure he will
    Oh dear, another muppet who has moved from being a reasonably sensible centrist Tory (albeit with a masturbatory Boris Johnson-is-messiah delusion) to far right nutter.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,304

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I don't believe for one second that a significant number of Tory MPs will join Reform after the election.

For the first thing, that would require there to be a significant number of Tory MPs after the election.

Well played.

In all seriousness I don't think it the most likely scenario, but I think it's possible.

I think it more likely that if the Tories are sub 100 seats that a leadership candidate advocating merger with Reform could emerge, off the threat of MPs jumping ship.
    I think this is true, and was the point of my header the other day, that that's why the Conservative brand has to be Ratnered in the election, so Farage or Tory-Farage can't build off it.
    The more it is Ratnered the more Farage can take over as leader of the right of centre in this country
    Are you happy for a fascist to take over a party that you are committed to?
    He's not a Fascist, this is ludicrous hyperbole. Farage may well be a twat and something of a demagogue, but a fascist? Please

In living memory Europe suffered from actual fascists, you insult those memories with this piffle
    Nonsense, it is a very accurate description. You also seem to confuse Spanish and Italian fascism with Naziism, the former of which are similar to the small brain nationalism that Farage espouses .You are probably so far off to the right that you don't consider him extreme. He has endorsed Trump. He admires Putin. Alan Sked founder of UKIP has described his racism and even as a schoolboy his housemaster of his independent school described him as a fascist. He is a modern day fascist. No hyperbole, just informed judgement. Just because he wears a tweed jacket instead of a blackshirt doesn't let him off the hook.
    Does he want a corporate state and the abolition of political parties?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,778
    Blimey, Rishi really needs to take some tips from Ed Davey on photo op stunts.

https://x.com/alexwickham/status/1803064545776124024
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,573
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

How long until 0-49 seats is favourite??

Is that where you see it going? Really?
    If the polling doesn't start to turn, yes. It's been one way traffic for 2 weeks solid
    Well you're a keen poll watcher so let's see. If that does happen, Cons below 50, my LD seats buy at 40 could be an absolute rock star.
    My big ?? Over it all is where is the vote dissipating..... are the seats where they are nowhere losing all Tories and they hold up in held seats or is it across the board. Are they holding up in, say, London....
    I'd like regional polling but I can't get any loving.
  • Options
    it’s all kicking off between Turkey and Georgia fans (In the stadium).

https://x.com/theawayfans/status/1803081881652519262

There was a huge fail in the Netherlands game where loads of the Dutch fans were in the opposition end.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

Reform paid a vetting company £144k to carry out candidate checks. Not a single piece of work was delivered.

WTF is the old bullshitter on about now ?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,524

Leon said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

There's no need for confusion on the tax question. Labour will raise ALL taxes, they won't have any choice

Everyone knows that, the size of their majority depends upon which ones they admit they are planning to raise.

Only for racist fascists. Farage is just an egotistical twat, like his friend Trump, and co-defendant for destroyer of the Conservative Party, Boris Buffoon Johnson. There will be gullible muppets who fall for his nonsense, but they are generally fools who believe in aliens and conspiracy theories about AI (the latter of which they do not understand)
    i don't actually want Farage to run the country, I think he is a divisive and often unsavoury character, albeit one gifted with charisma and great political cunning. I am also certain he'd be a dreadful PM. I am merely making a prediction. The Tories, by moving so far to the Left - highest taxes since the war, highest migration in history - have opened up an enormous gap in British politics. We can see from Europe and America that these gaps get filled, politics abhors a vacuum, and the hard right is in the ascendant everywhere

Labour are likely to fail, because their recipe will be more wokeness, more taxes, more migration, and it's not gonna be popular (after an initial honeymoon)

The populist right will then benefit. It might not be Farage that personally leads this, he is knocking on already and will be 65 at the next GE. But someone will come along
    You, and the rest of the country seem to have forgotten that the taxes that are currently so high are in large part due to the expenditure of the pandemic combined with the stupidity of Brexit. I don't know whether you argued against the former but you certainly endorsed the latter. To suggest Rishi Sunak is of the left is ludicrous.
    Covid and Ukraine did for taxes, while Truss finally did for reputation.

While I understand the reasoning behind @leon's forecasting of Faragism triumphant, I rather suspect that most surviving Tory MPs and members will want a leader who is competent and a unifier. And they won't be all that sympathetic to someone who tried to kill the party.
  • Options

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

He's not a Fascist, this is ludicrous hyperbole. Farage may well be a twat and something of a demagogue, but a fascist? Please

In living memory Europe suffered from actual fascists, you insult those memories with this piffle
    Nonsense, it is a very accurate description. You also seem to confuse Spanish and Italian fascism with Naziism, the former of which are similar to the small brain nationalism that Farage espouses .You are probably so far off to the right that you don't consider him extreme. He has endorsed Trump. He admires Putin. Alan Sked founder of UKIP has described his racism and even as a schoolboy his housemaster of his independent school described him as a fascist. He is a modern day fascist. No hyperbole, just informed judgement. Just because he wears a tweed jacket instead of a blackshirt doesn't let him off the hook.
    Judging by his last tweet, he thinks the police are his personal fief.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

He really can't catch a break can he. Ok Rishi, dead easy one, we will give you some feed and the sheep will come and eat it....they do everything but come to this feed bucket.

The Unknown Stuntman seems to be having a quiet week this week. Has he run out of energy?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,130

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

Ein Tweed, Ein Reform, Ein Nige!
  • Options

There was a huge fail in the Netherlands game where loads of the Dutch fans were in the opposition end.

Bit of Gog Magog action between these two
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hands up which PBers predicted that Trump's convictions would boost his popularity ?

Trump’s Conviction Was Supposed to Boost His Popularity. It Hasn’t.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/trump-conviction-polls/

What, no one ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

He really can't catch a break can he. Ok Rishi, dead easy one, we will give you some feed and the sheep will come and eat it....they do everything but come to this feed bucket.

The Unknown Stuntman seems to be having a quiet week this week. Has he run out of energy?
    Building the suspense.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,211
    Nigelb said:

Looks like he's lost the White Wool

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

"Nigel Farage
    @Nigel_Farage

WTF is the old bullshitter on about now ?
    He appears to have employed a PPE provider to do his vetting
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,631
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Hands up which PBers predicted that Trump's convictions would boost his popularity ?

What, no one ?
    Its maybe half a percent move, but could just be randomness. Hardly a big move.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/2024/national/

The bigger impact could be if it changes Trump's behaviour.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,001
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?
    I probably did, or at least thought it plausible.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,001
    Nigelb said:

Similar effect on the sheep as the voters then.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Building the suspense.
    Going to be very disappointed if the final week of the campaign he isn't doing knife throwing, driving monster trucks on two wheels and jumping through rings of fire on a motorcross bike.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

Judging by his last tweet, he thinks the police are his personal fief.
    Seems to work for Tory MPs when they want a rival investigated.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 595
    TimS said:

Ugh.

Sir Keir Starmer has opened the door to tax rises for millions of Britons by defining a working person as someone who relies on public services and doesn’t have savings.

The Labour leader has repeatedly ruled out putting up taxes on what he calls “working people” who he says have borne the brunt of the cost of living crisis.

Asked what he meant by the term, he said it refers to “people who earn their living, rely on our services and don’t really have the ability to write a cheque when they get into trouble”.

His definition means millions of Britons including pensioners, savers, and those who use private services like healthcare may not be covered by his tax rise pledge.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/18/starmer-leaves-door-open-to-tax-rises-for-millions/

Er... that's 'and' not 'or'. Logic 101 fail there TSE (and the Torygraph obvs).

Bring it on - those like me who do not work for a living currently pay a lower proportion of their income in taxes than those who earn the same amount working. That cannot be right.
    Whatever way you cut it though it looks like a Thrift Tax - those who've 'saved for a rainy day' get clobbered while the feckless get protected. Rishi's speech writes itself:

I warn you not to have savings. I warn you not get a mortgage. I warn you not to have a pension, an ISA or a cheque book.

Sir Keir needs to clarify this and sharpish. We're in Theresa's 'Dementia Tax' territory here.
    How many people max out their ISA allowances? How many would notice if the maximum were halved to 10k a year, for example?
    I might be a good example of someone earning good money (generally just outside top decile when the kids were small, but inside it now). For me - I hit the limit twice, the year I inherited some money when my parents died and the year after. The rest went on an extension. I guess if the allowance had been only £10k I might have topped it up a third time. Otherwise I rarely managed £5k; even allowing for inflation I would never have threatened a reduced £10k limit at any point. Due to an expensive divorce I'm currently not really saving but trying to pay the mortgage off before I'm no longer fit for work, but if not for that I would probably now save around £10k a year but only because I'm single and with no dependents
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

If the polling doesn't start to turn, yes. It's been one way traffic for 2 weeks solid
    Well you're a keen poll watcher so let's see. If that does happen, Cons below 50, my LD seats buy at 40 could be an absolute rock star.
    Could be some great human interest stories too. Would be a few LD candidates who stand without much expectation or thought of winning who end up straight in the shadow cabinet.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,062

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

His policing manifesto advocated the militarisation of the police and the banning of political marshes of a specific viewpoint. Near enough.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,207
    I'm not 100% sure what Farage "stands for" if I'm being honest.

He seems an unreconstructed Thatcherite in his desire for lower taxes but the Reform manifesto, to this observer, betrays the paradox which cuts through their Party. The leadership want lower personal taxes, spending cuts and are pro-business, indeed they would fit well into most incarnations of the Conservative Party.

The Reform membership and voter base are somewhere else - they want spending and plenty of it but they want it spent on them and signed up happily to the Johnsonian Levelling Up agenda and the pledges made to the north and midlands that they would see the kind of levels of local spending seen in London and the south.

The pandemic put paid to that - the enormous levels of borrowing meant projects like HS2 were aborted. Labour neglected the North, the Conservatives betrayed the North - Reform keeps the flag of Johnsonian levelling up alive and that's why they do so well in the WWC areas.

Looking further ahead, the options are either a Reform-style party or a Wagenknecht-style party. I could see a party akin to the latter existing in Britain in 10-20 years along with a strongly environmentalist, culturally liberal and economically conservative party as a third force. The latter wouldn't be Green in the conventional sense but would advocate technological innvovation to mitigate the environmental impacts of climate change while maintaining an internationalist outlook.

Politics adapts to the changing world - the 20th century notions of "left" and "right" are obsolete - the challenges of the 21st century cut across traditional demarcations.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,523
    edited June 18

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?

The latest poll from Morning Consult has Biden 1% ahead.

I suspect the sentence Trump receives and the bounces each party receives from their conventions will move the polls more before Labour Day in early September and the real final stretch of the campaign
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,928
    rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?
    I did. Surprised it didn't, maybe Trump has actually reached the ceiling of possible support?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?
    I did. Not sure I posted about it on here, defo discussed it with the wife, but I certainly thought it would create a martyr effect.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Could be some great human interest stories too. Would be a few LD candidates who stand without much expectation or thought of winning who end up straight in the shadow cabinet.
    Indeed. It's going to be wild, this GE and the aftermath, if the Tories hit the lower end of these forecasts.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Similar effect on the sheep as the voters then.
    The headline write itself...even Tory sheep are deserting Sunak.
  • Options
    PJH said:

TimS said:

Ugh.

Sir Keir Starmer has opened the door to tax rises for millions of Britons by defining a working person as someone who relies on public services and doesn’t have savings.

The Labour leader has repeatedly ruled out putting up taxes on what he calls “working people” who he says have borne the brunt of the cost of living crisis.

Asked what he meant by the term, he said it refers to “people who earn their living, rely on our services and don’t really have the ability to write a cheque when they get into trouble”.

His definition means millions of Britons including pensioners, savers, and those who use private services like healthcare may not be covered by his tax rise pledge.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/18/starmer-leaves-door-open-to-tax-rises-for-millions/

Bring it on - those like me who do not work for a living currently pay a lower proportion of their income in taxes than those who earn the same amount working. That cannot be right.
    Whatever way you cut it though it looks like a Thrift Tax - those who've 'saved for a rainy day' get clobbered while the feckless get protected. Rishi's speech writes itself:

I warn you not to have savings. I warn you not get a mortgage. I warn you not to have a pension, an ISA or a cheque book.

Sir Keir needs to clarify this and sharpish. We're in Theresa's 'Dementia Tax' territory here.
    How many people max out their ISA allowances? How many would notice if the maximum were halved to 10k a year, for example?
    I might be a good example of someone earning good money (generally just outside top decile when the kids were small, but inside it now). For me - I hit the limit twice, the year I inherited some money when my parents died and the year after. The rest went on an extension. I guess if the allowance had been only £10k I might have topped it up a third time. Otherwise I rarely managed £5k; even allowing for inflation I would never have threatened a reduced £10k limit at any point. Due to an expensive divorce I'm currently not really saving but trying to pay the mortgage off before I'm no longer fit for work, but if not for that I would probably now save around £10k a year but only because I'm single and with no dependents
    It was 1.6 millions in 2020-21. At a guess given people will get lumps thru inheritance, house or business sales, unusual bonuses, I would expect several times that number over a decade. Somewhere between 5 and 10 million to have done so at some point.
  • Options
    edited June 18

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

He can be leader - if it's Ratnered, no one will vote for it, just like no one shopped in Ratner's and it had to be shut down. The centre right can come back with a new name - just like Ratner's did.
    Even today's Focaldata has 37% voting for the Tories and ReformUK combined, just 6% behind Labour on 43% and miles ahead of the LDs on 10% and Greens on 5% and SNP on 2%.

Once Starmer likely becomes PM voters will want a choice not an echo from the LDs and if the Tories can't provide it as a functioning main opposition then Farage will ensure he will
    Oh dear, another muppet who has moved from being a reasonably sensible centrist Tory (albeit with a masturbatory Boris Johnson-is-messiah delusion) to far right nutter.
    It is not 'far right' to say that nearly 40% of the electorate still back the Tories and Reform combined and Farage is popular with most Tory voters and virtually all Reform voters
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Step forward @RochdalePioneers ... ???
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,358

Must be England lads impersonating Turks and Georgians.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Hope they don't check his social media!
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,329
    It's a crushing blow not to be on Leon's list. I'm staring at the bollard outside my bedsit but even the mandatory drizzle can't cheer me. I'm shaken. To the core.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

All of this reunite the right stuff seems to assume that you can just add what remains of the Conservative vote to that of Reform. Surely a merger of the two is likely to put off as many of the voters who stuck with the Conservatives as it brings in from those who voted Reform in 2024?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?

I suspect the sentence Trump receives and the bounces each party receives from their conventions will move the polls more before Labour Day in early September and the real final stretch of the campaign
    Dow reaching 40,000 a big psychological milestone for Americans who vote primarily on the economy, who are the only swing voters left (also volatility in turnout with Biden and Trump voters, but people aren't switching between those camps).
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,281
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

His policing manifesto advocated the militarisation of the police and the banning of political marshes of a specific viewpoint. Near enough.
    I think he’d get bogged down
  • Options
    The_WoodpeckerThe_Woodpecker Posts: 441

Bit of Gog Magog action between these two
    Polizei have quashed it now, according to my mate at the game.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,233
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

It is not 'far right' to say that nearly 40% of the electorate still back the Tories and Reform combined and Farage is popular with most Tory voters and virtually all Reform voters
    What happened to HYUFD the one nation Tory?You are rubbing shoulders with a rum old bunch bringing Farage into your orbit. What next? Little Tommy Ten Names.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,479
    The thread header is interesting but the title is dumb - at least as far as the body of the article goes.

'Wanting to overturn a democratic vote' is clearly designed to have Trumpian overtones. But that is not what is said in the article. All that says is that some MPs will leave the party if they don't like the direction it is pursuing

This seems perfectly reasonable to me and it us something MPs have done on a regular basis since Parliamentary democracy was born.

That is not 'wanting to overturn a democratic vote' at all, anymore than it was when TSE refused to support Truss.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,358
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

So what you are saying is that Labour is well ahead of the next two parties combined. A hell of a strong position to be in when we have a FPTP voting system.

And if Farage on his own can provide a functioning opposition, so can the Greens - especially if there are two of them.
  • Options
    Interesting thread, from the front line.

The only thing I can say about the battle for Vovchansk — that’s only the beginning.

I think we have here a new «record» — 13 guided bombs (KAB) for one hour.

It’s hard for them right now to stop our advance and they are deploying new forces. About that and more below..

https://x.com/OSINTua/status/1803089127388184736
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,041
    Stereodog said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

All of this reunite the right stuff seems to assume that you can just add what remains of the Conservative vote to that of Reform. Surely a merger of the two is likely to put off as many of the voters who stuck with the Conservatives as it brings in from those who voted Reform in 2024?
    Thank you, Stereo, for pointing out the obvious.

In any merger, however successful, there is always some short-term loss, no matter what the long-term gains.

You cannot just add the two percentages together. It's nonsense. You may, with luck, retain 80% of the support of the two original parties, but more likely the wastage would be greater.
  • Options
    What are those of us not on Leon’s list going to do? We must form a support group.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,957
    Farooq said:

It's a crushing blow not to be on Leon's list. I'm staring at the bollard outside my bedsit but even the mandatory drizzle can't cheer me. I'm shaken. To the core.

I'll do another one next year. You never know
  • Options

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I think he's already said he's cool with that ?
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,783

kinabalu said:

Got to admit I was expecting things to begin narrowing.

Maybe they still will. Maybe the constant tax attack will stick. Time is running out though.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,855
    edited June 18

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

For all those of you who don't know what corporatism or the corporate state is, here is a handy explainer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PxA-IfRifgE
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

I might not last. I'm thinking of doing something drastic.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?
    I did. Not sure I posted about it on here, defo discussed it with the wife, but I certainly thought it would create a martyr effect.
    I'm giving likes for honesty.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,233
    DougSeal said:

What are those of us not on Leon’s list going to do? We must form a support group.

It's some of those who find themselves on the list that might need emotional support.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Oh lord

Can he ever get anything right on this campaign?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

By which I mean relocating to ConHome.
    Is there a helpline I can call?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,371
    rkrkrk said:

Doorknocking for Labour this weekend. First flat got a f@£# off almost instantly on pressing the buzzer. A lot of labour posters up.

And met a 93 year old life long Tory voter who told me that although he worried Lab don't have enough business people in the party, he'd vote Lab this time as Tories have messed everything up.

He said I couldn't count on his vote in five years time with a wink.

Consistent polling suggests there are about 1.6-1.8 million examples of your 93 year old (2019 Tories voting Labour), and they are not all 93. Add to that some DKs who will add to them, + the 2019 Tories who will vote Reform, Binface, stay at home and so on, each of which is effectively a vote for Lab or LD as relevant (each of the switchers counts as two votes) and the Tories have a problem.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,772
    DougSeal said:

#SupportTheSeals

• Options
    Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

Maybe they still will. Maybe the constant tax attack will stick. Time is running out though.

It is. Movement needed on some level by the weekend I'd say if we are to see anything like a 1997/2001 result
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,965
    Just back from a drive around West Yorkshire to see what election activity there is. I kept to the main roads and went through Spen Valley, Leeds Central and Headingly, Leeds West and Pudsey, Leeds NE, Leeds NW, Harrogate and Knaresborough, Braford East, and Bradford South. The only posters/stakeboards I saw were in Bradford East ( Labour) and H and K (Lib Dem). I also went through Colne Valley and Huddersfield but the local tradition there is to put posters on lamp posts - of which there are many.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,966
    edited June 18
    Stereodog said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

The right was almost united at the last election. 47% voted either Con or Brexit Party, with 45% Con and 2% Brexit. So it is possible to unite that vote under the right circumstances. Boris somehow managed to do it.
  • Options
    StereodogStereodog Posts: 450

Stereodog said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

Thank you, Stereo, for pointing out the obvious.

In any merger, however successful, there is always some short-term loss, no matter what the long-term gains.

You cannot just add the two percentages together. It's nonsense. You may, with luck, retain 80% of the support of the two original parties, but more likely the wastage would be greater.
    I've recently been reading David Torrance's book on the first Labour Government. One of their main aims was to kill off the Liberals as a competitor for the anti Tory vote. They achieved this but with the short and medium term consequence of gifting loads of ex Liberal voters who couldn't stomach socialism to the Tories. If Reform do manage to kill the Tories by absorbing them then I think the same would happen.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 595

PJH said:

TimS said:

Ugh.

Median household disposable income is low thirties thousand a year.

Having 20k to put in savings is really quite a lot.
    It is and that was what I was trying to demonstrate - you would have to earn a lot more than I have ever done (so top 5% of earnings, I guess) to breach a £10k limit on a consistent basis over a working life. So it would affect most people hardly or not at all.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm sure he is. I doubt the whips or press team will be if they need half their MPs to be in the shadow cabinet though.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,039

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

He hasn't announced it yet, but I am sure if it is expedient he will do whatever Trump tells him is a good idea.
  • Options

Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

It is. Movement needed on some level by the weekend I'd say if we are to see anything like a 1997/2001 result
    Until the final Starmer v Sunak debate at 9pm on BBC1 next Wednesday and the polls after we won't get a full picture of what the final GE result is likely to be, even if Labour almost certainly win the margin is still not yet set in stone
  • Options
    edited June 18
    OOOH. Georgians and Turks really dislike each other. This could be tasty

Weirdly, the only thing they share is a detestation of Armenians
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

One of the sheep was caught on mic talking to another sheep:
    Ok, one more time Dougal. This one with the bucket is small. The ones with the cameras are far away. Small. Faaar away.
  • Options
    Going to state something really obvious here.

In Woking there are loads of LibDem banners. I’ve not seen one single Conservative one. And yet, this is a Cons seat. Jonathan Lord had a majority of nearly 10,000 last time.

Although this is going to be a LibDem gain, those 50% who voted Cons last time cannot have ALL given up (can they?!).

So, to state the obvious, there aren’t just shy tories out there, but there must be ashamed tories.

I’m not suggesting the polls are wrong because presumably you’d fess up to a pollster, wouldn’t you? But there must be a fair number of people who are going to vote Conservative who wouldn’t dare admit it this time.

Or have I got that wrong?
  • Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Leon said:

I agree. Starmer is getting a hospital pass.

Whatever else Sunak does or dosent know, he has a fair idea how international finance works and when the balloon is likely to go up and has gone to the King taken his parachute and jumped out quick.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

So what you are saying is that Labour is well ahead of the next two parties combined. A hell of a strong position to be in when we have a FPTP voting system.

And if Farage on his own can provide a functioning opposition, so can the Greens - especially if there are two of them.
    If Farage is on his own it means the Tories are still likely on 150+ seats and can perfectly well still provide a functioning opposition themselves
  • Options
    O/T

Andy Murray is in action at Queens v Alexei Popryin. Currently 2-2 in the first set.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I'm sure he is. I doubt the whips or press team will be if they need half their MPs to be in the shadow cabinet though.
    They are a liberal party - what's the problem ?
  • Options
    PJH said:

PJH said:

TimS said:

Ugh.

It is and that was what I was trying to demonstrate - you would have to earn a lot more than I have ever done (so top 5% of earnings, I guess) to breach a £10k limit on a consistent basis over a working life. So it would affect most people hardly or not at all.
    During 2008 it was interesting to hear some from the Left getting confused by the idea that fairly ordinary people could have 5 figure savings in bank accounts. No, someone having £23k in a building society savings account is not “Speculator”, Citizen Smith.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,454

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?

Dow reaching 40,000 a big psychological milestone for Americans who vote primarily on the economy, who are the only swing voters left (also volatility in turnout with Biden and Trump voters, but people aren't switching between those camps).
    https://www.realclearpolling.com/polls/president/general/2024/trump-vs-biden

Trump's conviction did not move the dial at all.

Georgia, Nevada, and Arizona seem almost certain gains. That leaves him needing one of Pennsulvania, Wisconsin, and Michigan, which are toss ups.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

In Woking there are loads of LibDem banners. I’ve not seen one single Conservative one. And yet, this is a Cons seat. Jonathan Lord had a majority of nearly 10,000 last time.

Although this is going to be a LibDem gain, those 50% who voted Cons last time cannot have ALL given up (can they?!).

So, to state the obvious, there aren’t just shy tories out there, but there must be ashamed tories.

I’m not suggesting the polls are wrong because presumably you’d fess up to a pollster, wouldn’t you? But there must be a fair number of people who are going to vote Conservative who wouldn’t dare admit it this time.

Haven't you noticed that 99% of Tories haven't been putting up election posters for about 20 years?
  • Options
    edited June 18

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?

The conventions normally produce a 5% average bounce so they will be key too, the Democrats will be helped by theirs going last this year.

Since 2000 the party whose nominee's convention is last has led most polls on Labour Day (the exception being 2020 but that was just online talks really, neither party had a proper convention due to Covid).

The debates too may move a few voters
  • Options
    edited June 18
    DougSeal said:

I'll do a special needs list for the strivers, like yourself
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Tories don't do placards in general except in farmers fields etc
    There could well be a silent tory vote of some level, yes, not very much though imo
    Looks like no YG/Sky tonight
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Haven't you noticed that 99% of Tories haven't been putting up election posters for about 20 years?
    Not really, Andy. We normally see a fair smattering of tory ones in Woking. But this time? Absolutely zilch. It’s quite remarkable.

Hence why I remarked on it ;)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

It's looking like your admirably early call of a 97 type landslide for SKS might end up being wrong in a way that nobody but nobody would have predicted.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Thinking of Voting Reform? Do something more sensible like training to be a Kamikaze pilot.
  • Options
    Ipsos trailing a huge sample poll in the next few hours, lol
  • Options
    edited June 18
    What are the chances of a red card in this Turkey / Georgia match.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,001
    CatMan said:

rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

What, no one ?
    I did. Surprised it didn't, maybe Trump has actually reached the ceiling of possible support?
    I think it's more that some people are still persuaded by a criminal conviction.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,142
    PJH said:

PJH said:

TimS said:

Ugh.

I have managed to use up the limit for a good decade now. And I'm avoiding the 40% threshold by cutting hours, so I'm nowhere near the top 5%.

I'm going to be mightily annoyed if that gets penalised, as I intend to become 'economically inactive' soon.

Surely Labour won't de-ISA savings though? I can see that they might lower the limit.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Building the suspense.
    Going to be very disappointed if the final week of the campaign he isn't doing knife throwing, driving monster trucks on two wheels and jumping through rings of fire on a motorcross bike.
    If he steals Bluebird out of the museum and gets to 250mph, I’ll vote Lib Dem.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Thinking of Voting Reform? Do something more sensible like training to be a Kamikaze pilot.
    To be fair, I've looked at all my local candidates and the Reform one actually made the top 5
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Yes, most Tories generally think putting up a poster showing their voting preference is a bit common.

Farmers in fields who back the Tories do it, few other Tories do (plus they don't want a brick through the window)
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,281
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

If Farage is on his own it means the Tories are still likely on 150+ seats and can perfectly well still provide a functioning
    opposition themselves
    Not sure the Tories are capable of providing a functioning anything
  • Options
    edited June 18
    I think the IPSOS is out? It’s an MRP?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/18/labour-landslide-projected-tory-seats-conservatives-general-election?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Lab 453
    Con 115
    LibDem 38
    SNP 15
    Ref 3
    Greens 3

Labour has an implied vote share of 43%, with Rishi Sunak’s Tories on 25%, Reform UK on 12%, the Lib Dems on 10%, the Greens on 6%, the SNP on 3% and Plaid Cymru on 1%.

IPSOS Sample 20,000 people 7-12 June
  • Options
    edited June 18
    I remember posting on here that at GE2017 I only saw one Tory poster during the entire campaign, which was in a field just outside Maidenhead IIRC. Yet the Tories got 44% of the vote.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Well played.

Are you happy for hyperbolic over use of the word "fascist" to detoxify it and in time make actual fascists electable?

What ever else Farage is or isn't he dosent advocate violence to get his way politically and run paramilitary organisations to firm up his support and and intimidate opponents

Howecer the three main parties have an unfortunate record, even in recent decades, when it comes to appeasing parties in the UK with Westminster seats who did.
  • Options

Ipsos trailing a huge sample poll in the next few hours, lol

Should be ☎️ based to compare to our online guys
  • Options
    edited June 18
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Not really, Andy. We normally see a fair smattering of tory ones in Woking. But this time? Absolutely zilch. It’s quite remarkable.

Hence why I remarked on it ;)
    There's a load of Labour posters on Delancey St

This is Skyr Toolmakersson's own constituency, he is going to get a majority of 982,047

I can't get my head around the mentality of someone who puts up a Labour poster in that context. Are they perhaps rich nervous Brexity ex-Tories working in the City (we have a few on Delancey) or more like Germans in Nuremburg putting up swastikas as Leni Reifenstahl's camera crew rolls past?
  • Options

Labour hitting Basingstoke again? Easy gain. Better fruit to pick

Makes a change from Basingstoke having a Democratic Unionist MP.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

To be fair, I've looked at all my local candidates and the Reform one actually made the top 5
    Top 5 what?

Top 5 Candidates to Be Mooned?
    Top 5 Candidates to be given the raspberry?