Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Do you want to help out a bookie? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• PedestrianRockPedestrianRock Posts: 578

https://x.com/iaindale/status/1800541837771571583?

Mystic Iain strikes again…

Iain Dale quote tweeting himself on a prediction from 5 weeks ago that Reform would achieve crossover…

…could he know something about YouGov?

That's odd because they haven't crossed over in any poll... yet. Maybe he has heard the numbers from YG (or another).

Well, the original account tweeted at him earlier today so maybe he's just patting himself on the back for saying "Farage returning = Reform Surge" - but the timing feels suspect.

Would we expect a surge on BF Exchange pre 5pm if Reform had crossover, from people in the know? I haven't seen it just yet - it's been continuing to trickle towards the Tories today as yesterday.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought this was a parody

@RishiSunak

You will always be better at spending your own money than the government is.

So true. I'm going to buy my own independent nuclear deterrent.
    Each to his own. I'm going to build three metres of a new train line.
    I'm up for constructing half a climbing frame at a primary school.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,596
    kjh said:

Accomodation for tonight. We appear to be here alone except for a young lady who greeted us. If you don't hear from me again I will probably be in a pie being sold in a local shop.

I’m sure it I will be fine but I’m getting late sixties Hammer vibes from this !
  • TresTres Posts: 2,647
    Gobsmacking news from America. Republicans are in FAVOUR of gun control laws.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

I thought this was a parody

@RishiSunak

You will always be better at spending your own money than the government is.

So true. I'm going to buy my own independent nuclear deterrent.
    Each to his own. I'm going to build three metres of a new train line.
    I'm up for constructing half a climbing frame at a primary school.
    Build the slides but no ladders to reach them, or is that too on the nose?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,350
    Russ Cook, a charity fundraiser – known as the Hardest Geezer – has said he is “buzzing to be back on the road again” as he announced he will be running to Germany to support England in their Euro 2024 campaign.

The 27-year-old will be setting off from Wembley Stadium on foot on Tuesday in a bid to reach the city of Gelsenkirchen in western Germany by Sunday – in time to see England take on their opening fixture against Serbia.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946

Iain Dale quote tweeting himself on a prediction from 5 weeks ago that Reform would achieve crossover…

That's odd because they haven't crossed over in any poll... yet. Maybe he has heard the numbers from YG (or another).

Well, the original account tweeted at him earlier today so maybe he's just patting himself on the back for saying "Farage returning = Reform Surge" - but the timing feels suspect.

Would we expect a surge on BF Exchange pre 5pm if Reform had crossover, from people in the know? I haven't seen it just yet - it's been continuing to trickle towards the Tories today as yesterday.
    On the one hand, if Iain knows the numbers then it's common knowledge in journo/political land. On the other, an odd post if not
    Tres said:

Gobsmacking news from America. Republicans are in FAVOUR of gun control laws.

@henrymance

Impressive that Trump broke campaign finance laws (in a country where almost all campaign finance is allowed) and Hunter Biden broke gun ownership laws (in a country where almost anyone can own a gun)
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    Chris said:

Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

📊 NEW: Labour leads by 18 points as Reform reaches a record high.

Labour: 42% (-2)
    Conservative: 24% (-1)
    Reform UK: 15% (+1)
    Liberal Democrats: 9% (-)
    Green: 5% (-)

Fieldwork conducted 7–11 June
    3,124 respondents (GB)

Focaldata latest

Labour continue to head towards 40% which I think it a likely score for them.
    Starmer could get fewer votes than Corbyn in 2017 but still win an historic landslide.
    SKSFPE
    Is it just me or do these f*cking inane abbreviated sentences annoy others too?
    Yes I literally have no idea what that meant and I can’t be bothered to check
    I took the trouble to check and saw this:
    "You're seeing results for SKYPE
    You originally searched for SKSFPE"
    Sir Keir Starmer's Father's Profession Exposed?
    edited June 11
    Leon said:

ToryJim said:

Leon said:

I wonder what emotional impact this will have on Father Joe Biden. Hunter is clearly something of a a favoured yet prodigal son

Joe is already half senile could this push him over the edge?

More positively, is it possible he will drop out of the race for family reasons, and the democrats could find someone under 180 years old that isn’t Kamala?

Asking for the free world

It would definitely be a good out. I’m not sure he will though.
    Sadly I agree. Biden is falling apart in front of our eyes (as is Trump) I wonder if either or both will make it to November

What this does do is it gives Trump a huge cudgel wherewith to smite the democrats “I was convicted on fraudulent political charges but the president’s son is an actual drug addict gun toting villain, do we want that family in the White House for another moment?”

It will be brutal and it could be effective
    This is quite sad (McConnell has suffered similar issues), I can't see how he makes another four years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/06/11/biden-appears-to-freeze-white-house-concert/

I am sure if the inside story ever comes out will reveal how bad the situation really was. There is clearly something seriously wrong. Literally every time he is out in public for more than a few minutes he malfunctions.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053
    Taz said:

kjh said:

Accomodation for tonight. We appear to be here alone except for a young lady who greeted us. If you don't hear from me again I will probably be in a pie being sold in a local shop.

I’m sure it I will be fine but I’m getting late sixties Hammer vibes from this !
    One of the early Jonathan Creek episodes took place in a house that looks a lot like that. Many overnight guests were disappearing.

My advice would be to take a shower rather than a bath!
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

3,124 respondents (GB)

Focaldata latest

Starmer could get fewer votes than Corbyn in 2017 but still win an historic landslide.
    SKSFPE
    Have you not been hanging on every word of Big John Owls whose catchphrase is "SKS Fans Please Explain" which I understood now to be commonly abbreviated "SKSFPE"?

On the one hand, if Iain knows the numbers then it's common knowledge in journo/political land. On the other, an odd post if not
    Not seeing any other posts from journos with eyeball emojis and the like...
    Chameleon said:

Biden is now a convicted felon. Quite the race for US President.

Oh do fuck off with the disingenuousness.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    eristdoof said:

Taz said:

kjh said:

One of the early Jonathan Creek episodes took place in a house that looks a lot like that. Many overnight guests were disappearing.

So did Saltburn. Same advice applies.

Oh well,8 and a bit mins to wait lol

eristdoof said:

Taz said:

kjh said:

So did Saltburn. Same advice applies.
    Oh!

I suppose we ourselves could be headed for the Seventh Circle of Hell (Which is Reserved for the Poll Rampers) for quasi-ramping a poll by proxy.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Selebian said:

kjh said:

Is it wonky? Or are you?
    I'm on my 3rd beer
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,259

NOT beyond realm of reasonable possibility. On the other hand . . .

With respect to ID, have been reading just published and VERY timely (did he know something?) book "British General Election Campaigns 1830 - 2019". Each of the 50 elections (which is why it starts with 1830 instead of 1832) is subject of essays by individual authors (one covers both 1910 elections) including Iain Dale himself for 1959. Impressive group (including John Curtis and Peter Snow, and many others know to many PBers) and very interesting essays.

Naturally this means diversity in approach, perspective and style. You may well prefer some over others, but all are chock full of info and details. Personally wish some essays went into more detail about contests for individual seats, but most give adequate and interesting coverage of campaigns and candidates in key constituencies.

Reviewers have said they think "British General Election Campaigns" lacks an unifying theme. I disagree. My take is that the theme is there, indeed it's organic not contrived: the expansion of constitutional monarchy and popular (in one sense anyway) democracy over last two centuries of massive economic, social, technological changes and challenges across the UK. Which is evident - at least for me - in the succession of the individual essays written by informed, perceptive writers.

Should note that I have NOT read the book from cover-to-cover, rather still working on it, taking dips from time to time. What I've read has definitely been food for though re: the 2024 election, both in UK and USA. Reckon seasoned punters and hardened psephologists of PB will have even more, and more cogent, insights.

Check it out!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,247
    ToryJim said:

BREAKING: Joe Biden's son has been found guilty of illegally buying a gun after hiding his drug use

https://x.com/skynews/status/1800548537744400862?s=46

No doubt the MAGA crowd will go OTT about this.

They love guns though, don't they. Perhaps he'll go up in their estimation.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,596
    eristdoof said:

Taz said:

kjh said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Now that’s a series I’ve not seen in a long time. Very good it was too.
    edited June 11

I suppose we ourselves could be headed for the Seventh Circle of Hell (Which is Reserved for the Poll Rampers) for quasi-ramping a poll by proxy.
    I do feel very queer all of a sudden!
    We live in weird polling times
  • JFNJFN Posts: 25

Andy_JS said:

The Economist believes the Tories are on course for 187 seats. Updated today.

https://www.economist.com/interactive/uk-general-election/forecast

Does this pass the sniff test?

For example for Islington North they haven't got Corbyn in their predictions.

For Chesham and Amersham they make it CON 36 LAB 26 LD 18 - meanwhile Baxter has it at LD 44 CON 36.5 LAB 9.8 - because they of course elected a Lib Dem in 2021 and so the 'non-Tory' candidate of choice has shifted.

Ah - I've just seen their model is only based off of historic voting data up to 2019 and doesn't take into account anything since then nor any tactical voting. Not sure if we can glean much from that considering all that's happened in the last 5 years.
    Not at all. I live in Chesham and supporting the local LD campaign. The team here are quietly confident the seat will remain yellow for Sarah Green. Labour will be a very distant third. All the left wing leaning people will be tactically voting.

Hahaha, I just want to be able to lay/back accordingly! Alas, think will have to wait for 5pm now.

Hahaha, I just want to be able to lay/back accordingly! Alas, think will have to wait for 5pm now.
    Yep, we wait the short wait
    I don't see Biden doing actual porridge for this. First offence etc. Drugs is weird in the states though, everyone does them but nobody is allowed to say so. So you get the Prince Harry truthers wanting his visa revoked, and ridiculous stuff like John Prine having to claim that Illegal Smile is not about what it's about.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,352
    edited June 11
    "Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky

15s
    Sky News / YouGov exclusive poll

** Tories joint lowest VI share in Parliament
    ** Reform just ONE point behind
    ** Lab down 3; LD up 4

LAB 38% (-3),
    CON 18% (-1),
    RefUK 17% (+1),
    LDEM 15% (+4), "
    @SamCoatesSky

** Lab down 3; LD up 4

LAB 38% (-3),
    CON 18% (-1),
    RefUK 17% (+1),
    LDEM 15% (+4),
    GRN 8% (+1)

Fieldwork Mon/Tue (around Lib Dem manfiesto coverage)
    Jesus......
    Lab 38
    Con 18
    Ref 17
    LD 15!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    And there it is. The final piece of the jigsaw falls into place. The Lib Dems are going to do very well.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited June 11
    YouGov has dropped, which can be said for Labour’s share, but Cons on 18% is staggering.

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

🔴LAB: 38% (-3)
    🔵CON: 18% (-1)
    🟣REF: 17% (+1)
    🟠LDEM: 15% (+4)
    🟢GRN: 8% (+1)

Jesus......
    Lab 38
    Con 18
    Ref 17
    LD 15!

Makes things a lot more exciting. 😊
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    Scott_xP said:

@SamCoatesSky

** Lab down 3; LD up 4

LAB 38% (-3),
    CON 18% (-1),
    RefUK 17% (+1),
    LDEM 15% (+4),
    GRN 8% (+1)

Fieldwork Mon/Tue (around Lib Dem manfiesto coverage)

Good point about the manifesto coverage. Perhaps each party will get a bump in turn, like a compressed version of what happens during conference season...
    Lowest Labour share since Boris
    Equal lowest Tory
    Carnage
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    Farooq said:

Lib Dem surge

Game ON!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    Heathener said:

YouGov has dropped, which can be said for Labour’s share, but Cons on 18% is staggering.

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

Double crossover approaching. Tories fourth is possible.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,899
    Conservatives edging towards fourth...
    Are YouGov still giving alternative headline figures using the old methodology as well?
    At least one historic normality of GE campaign has started to appear that Lib Dems start to squeeze the Labour vote. Swingback on the other hand...
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited June 11
    Good old Yougov.

Always making things more interesting. like an old academic uncle in threadbare jacket, smoking a pipe.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Selebian said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

3,124 respondents (GB)

Focaldata latest

SKSFPE
    Given that SKS must stand for the obvious, there are a number of possibilities for FPE here:
    https://www.acronymfinder.com/FPE.html

"Floating Point Exception" may be a possibility, but I'm not convinced.
    There is some serious divergence between the polls, I wonder if they will start to herd over the next week or so, or will continue to offer wildly different predictions right up to polling day?
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,003
    Labour at 38% is a real surprise and the lib dems seem to be benefitting

If other polls have Labour sub 40% then there may well be panic in labour
    Green 8% seems excessive. But I suppose with the Tory share so far down too it's possible.
    edited June 11
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

The lesson from this is that Ed Davey should go to Alton Towers next.
    I was thinking a reality show. Too late for BGT juggling chainsaws, perhaps Love Island?
    edited June 11
    Hartlepool constituency poll

"LAB: 58% (+20)
    REF: 23% (-3)
    CON: 10% (-19)
    LDEM: 6% (+2)
    GRN: 2% (+2)

@wethinkpolling
    @TheEconomist, 30 May - 9 June"

https://x.com/OwenWntr/status/1800555586737820063
    Those numbers into Electoral Calculus

LAB 471
    LIB 73
    CON 61
    REF 5
    GREEN 2
    SNP 14
    PC 4
    Heathener said:

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

If this continues the Cons could come 4th.

However, it’s more likely they will pick up a bit surely?

If Labour are losing support to the Lib Dems in the Blue Wall then it makes no difference. It could be the most efficient landslide ever.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited June 11
    Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

kinabalu said:

I'm sorry, but it's delusional to identify this Tory government as left-wing.

Yes, it can only look to be on the left if you're viewing it from a long long way to the right. And then of course it will.
    It's a category error that comes from being "culturally Tory".

If you hold broadly Tory views (as I did), then "economically incompetent" is synonymous with "left-wing". So an economically incompetent Tory government *is* "left-wing" by definition.

The fact that their policies weren't e.g. redistributive (at least - not redistributive towards the poor) etc. etc. is irrelevant for the purposes of this definition.
    It's a bit like calling anyone who is racist right wing.

But I'm objectively looking at left as increasing tax/spend and right as cutting tax/spend. On that objective metric this government is left on both metrics.
    I don't think that's the fundamental definition of left or right wing.

Makes it hard to have a discussion if we can't agree on the meaning of words.
    Not just on PB but more generally. Look at the (rather startling) Tory faithful's reaction to the idea that NI is a tax and can be cut without any connection to the state pension. BR is on a hiding to nothing calling it a tax in terms of a political message that is comprehensible to the ordinary punter, even if there are some merits to that analysis.

It's a tax, in practice, even if it's called insurance.
    But it's not a tax *in practice*. You get money back after time t in relation to how much you pay in (roughly). To ordinary folk, that is an insurance or assurance scheme. If it looks like a duck, and is called a duck, then some pol claiming it's really a rat won't cut the ice as we saw with the Tory faithful reaction.
    No you don't.

There is no relationship between what you pay and how much you get back.

There is no difference between the pension of someone who has 35 years of being on Universal Credit or other benefits, or to someone working part time minimum wage just over the threshold, or someone who earned a median salary for that time, or someone who earned six figures for 50 years not 35 years.

It's a tax, both de jure and de facto.
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

Maybe, but what explains the Lab drop to 38%?
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,451

I very much doubt it. It looks to me like the anti-Tory vote is just going to become ever more efficient. If this YouGov is the GE result the LibDems would almost certainly end up as the official opposition.

edited June 11
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

You keep thinking this week can't be as bad as last week, then it is. There is nothing in that manifesto that will have been running back. No IHT cut, no hang'em flog tough on crime, no getting out the ECHR. Tax cuts for landlords and one man band businesses isn't exactly going to excite many.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601

I have said for quite a while that LAB could get less than 40% and indeed that is my expectation

However this poll is horrendous for CON
    NOM 14/1...

LAB 471
    LIB 73
    CON 61
    REF 5
    GREEN 2
    SNP 14
    PC 4

Ridiculous to win 471 seats with 38%.

NOM 14/1...

Worth a fiver.

It's probably just what Labour needs.

Why? What would be the basis of such "panic" if all their opponents are in the teens? People don't half break out some daft hyperbole on here. I tend to take the poll with the lowest LAB share as the most accurate and the people who will be panicking here is not the Labour Party.
    The anti-Tory vote becoming more efficient is the final piece of the jigsaw. If it is maintained, the Tories are over and out - perhaps for the rest of my lifetime.
    I assume on old methodology we have crossover? That change from YouGov might have saved us from "Reform in 2nd" headlines. The Conservative party's existence in the balance.
    When's the next poll coming out? 😃
    Chris said:

Selebian said:

Chris said:

Heathener said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

3,124 respondents (GB)

Focaldata latest

SKSFPE
    Given that SKS must stand for the obvious, there are a number of possibilities for FPE here:
    https://www.acronymfinder.com/FPE.html

"Floating Point Exception" may be a possibility, but I'm not convinced.
    SKS Fans Please Explain.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    The Lib Dem manifesto was absurd in that the aspirations did not come near to matching up with the additional taxes but it was successful in focusing on some things people actually care about, that is social care and the NHS.

Neither the Tories, with their ridiculous National Service nonsense, or Labour with, err, British Energy? have come close to achieving that yet.

It was entirely a random vox pop that I heard on R5 yesterday but it was a voter who was minded to vote Lib Dem because he considered that Labour were tending too much to the right, "especially on fiscal matters."

It does appear that he is not the only one to have noticed this.
    edited June 11
    DougSeal said:

Why? What would be the basis of such "panic" if all their opponents are in the teens? People don't half break out some daft hyperbole on here. I tend to take the poll with the lowest LAB share as the most accurate and the people who will be panicking here is not the Labour Party.
    History says taking lowest Lab, highest Tory is a better guess-estimate. Which is still terrible for the Tories.

I very much doubt it. It looks to me like the anti-Tory vote is just going to become ever more efficient. If this YouGov is the GE result the LibDems would almost certainly end up as the official opposition.

I think this is right.

My vote is in a three-way marginal and much as my political inclination is Labour, the fact is that the LibDem has the best chance of unseating the Conservative.

So the LibDem will get my vote.

Tactical voting could be a massive factor this time.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Still massively ahead of the Tories. Just seen a ‘poll’ for Witham which suggests Priti Patel could be in trouble, due to Reform’s intervention.

The anti-Tory vote becoming more efficient is the final piece of the jigsaw. If it is maintained, the Tories are over and out - perhaps for the rest of my lifetime.

Do you want them to be replaced by something more populist?
    Well I'm long LD seats on the spreads ... so that's looking good.

Mind you, I need it with the current mtm of my Trump short. Word for that is nasty.

If the Lib Dems are polling at 15% and the Tories are polling at 18% then I have definitely seen crazier bets than 'LD to beat CON on vote share' currently 15.0 on the Exchange...
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    Andy_JS said:

LAB 471
    LIB 73
    CON 61
    REF 5
    GREEN 2
    SNP 14
    PC 4

Ridiculous to win 471 seats with 38%.
    Agreed.

Can we count you as a PR man, and LD voter now, Andy?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Late afternoon all :)

Cat meets pigeons - a very good poll for the LDs, their best for a very long time. It screams outlier but it may be a trend - we'll see.

Oddly enough, the Lab/LD/Green vs Con/Ref measure is hardly changed at 61-35 (in 2019 it was 47-48 so that's a 13.5% swing). The swing from Conservative to Liberal Democrat is 15% on this poll.

It's the highest LD poll since a Redfield & Wilton in May 2023.

NOM 14/1...

Even without any tactical voting those figures produce a Labour majority of 292 on electoral calculus.

You should only bet on a NOM if you think the Conservative share will leap up. Otherwise you are throwing away money.

Still massively ahead of the Tories. Just seen a ‘poll’ for Witham which suggests Priti Patel could be in trouble, due to Reform’s intervention.
    Is this a real poll? If so I'd like to see it.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149
    There is often a poll in the election that is a little bit interesting. Unless other polls start to pick up more fragmentation then should probably put this in the outlier category.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Imagine if by polling day it's something like Labour 36%, Reform 25%, Lib Dem 18%, Con 10%.
    Andy_JS said:

Bloody hell, Labour on 38%?!

"Sam Coates Sky
    @SamCoatesSky

15s

** Lab down 3; LD up 4

LAB 38% (-3),
    CON 18% (-1),
    RefUK 17% (+1),
    LDEM 15% (+4), "

Libs munching into Labour there. Tactical vote klaxon.
  • There is some serious divergence between the polls, I wonder if they will start to herd over the next week or so, or will continue to offer wildly different predictions right up to polling day?

Polls do tend to converge, partly due to different treatment of undecided respondents. As campaigns near their conclusion, this becomes less relevant as decisions get made.
    edited June 11

I think you are slightly overdoing the hyperbole. I could link to the infamous Sion Simon piece who made similar claims and yet only a few years later the Tories got an 80 seat majority.

The reality is lots of people are very unhappy about the state of everything. However no politician is really been honest about all the challenges and that it isn't some quick fix. Taxes are going up, there isn't the money for the sort of spending on services during Blair's time in office. Poor growth, piss poor productivity and too many people economically inactive is ingrained in our economy, it will take lots of unpopular decisions to turn that around. The public don't seem to like that.
    For Stats watchers, the last Lab 38 was the Opinium the weekend before QE2 died

LAB 471
    LIB 73
    CON 61
    REF 5
    GREEN 2
    SNP 14
    PC 4

This could be why the LIBs aren't saying much about PR atm.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,003
    Eabhal said:

If Labour are losing support to the Lib Dems in the Blue Wall then it makes no difference. It could be the most efficient landslide ever.
    I assume Labour are confident of winning blue wall seats as well as red and the competition between both could assist conservatives to come through the middle
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,997
    Andy_JS said:

NOM 14/1...

Worth a fiver.
    I don't think it is. For similar odds you can back Rory McIlroy to win the US Open this week.

For Stats watchers, the last Lab 38 was the Opinium the weekend before QE2 died

When was the last CON 18%?
    The anti-Tory party is back and it is more powerful, more informed and more motivated than it has ever been before. If the YouGov numbers are repeated elsewhere I will finally believe in Canada.
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

Maybe, but what explains the Lab drop to 38%?
    Liberal tactical vote/manifesto bounce.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited June 11
    Labour vote excepted, obviously, this poll is reminding me of some in 2019, when there were three or four parties in the 15-25% area, creating a sense of flux .

It this is so, it could be a much more interesting or unpredictable election in terms of numbers, than it seemed to be just earlier today.
    Sean_F said:

Imagine if by polling day it's something like Labour 36%, Reform 25%, Lib Dem 18%, Con 10%.

Very difficult to predict the seat totals with those numbers. The calculators won't be much use.
    edited June 11
    ToryJim said:

There is often a poll in the election that is a little bit interesting. Unless other polls start to pick up more fragmentation then should probably put this in the outlier category.

Indeed. 21 April 1997, 10 days before polling, ICM had Cons 37%, Lab 42%

Let’s see how things look over the next few days

I think you are slightly overdoing the hyperbole. I could link to the infamous Sion Simon piece who made similar claims and yet only a few years later the Tories got an 80 seat majority.

The reality is lots of people are very unhappy about the state of everything. However no politician is really been honest about all the challenges and that it isn't some quick fix. Taxes are going up, there isn't the money for the sort of spending on services during Blair's time in office. Poor growth, piss poor productivity and too many people economically inactive is ingrained in our economy, it will take lots of unpopular decisions to turn that around.

If the Tories are no longer the main opposition, they will get LibDem levels of coverage over the coming years. If YouGov is repeated elsewhere, that's what faces them.

This must be the LDs best showing in any opinion poll for a very long time.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    edited June 11

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, it can only look to be on the left if you're viewing it from a long long way to the right. And then of course it will.

If you hold broadly Tory views (as I did), then "economically incompetent" is synonymous with "left-wing". So an economically incompetent Tory government *is* "left-wing" by definition.

The fact that their policies weren't e.g. redistributive (at least - not redistributive towards the poor) etc. etc. is irrelevant for the purposes of this definition.

But I'm objectively looking at left as increasing tax/spend and right as cutting tax/spend. On that objective metric this government is left on both metrics.

Not just on PB but more generally. Look at the (rather startling) Tory faithful's reaction to the idea that NI is a tax and can be cut without any connection to the state pension. BR is on a hiding to nothing calling it a tax in terms of a political message that is comprehensible to the ordinary punter, even if there are some merits to that analysis.

But it's not a tax *in practice*. You get money back after time t in relation to how much you pay in (roughly). To ordinary folk, that is an insurance or assurance scheme. If it looks like a duck, and is called a duck, then some pol claiming it's really a rat won't cut the ice as we saw with the Tory faithful reaction.
    No you don't.

There is no difference between the pension of someone who has 35 years of being on Universal Credit or other benefits, or to someone working part time minimum wage just over the threshold, or someone who earned a median salary for that time, or someone who earned six figures for 50 years not 35 years.

There IS a relationship.

No pay, no get.

It may not be a linear function, but it certainly exists, and you're not doing your argument, let alone analysis, pretending otherwise in yoiur usual absolutist manner.
    If the Labour slide continues, perhaps their majority could be threatened by the SNP and Lib Dems winning loads of seats. We'd be back to the 'coalition of chaos' scenario.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    Heathener said:

📈📉NEW POLL
    @YouGov

Labour lead at 20 points

Terrible news for Labour as the gap with the Tories is closed by 2 points.

At this rate the gap will be closed in 10 weeks

/sarcasm

Carnyx said:

Sean_F said:

Carnyx said:

mwadams said:

kinabalu said:

No you don't.

You can't cherry pick four examples out of hundreds of thousands which happen to come out the same and say therefore all examples come out the same. I will get x pounds a week in state pension but 1.03x if I make back dated NI contributions which, however, there is no compulsion on me to do. Taxes are not usually either voluntary, nor profitable to the taxpayer.

Things don't have to be either x or not-x. That's essentialism, and wrong.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127

Baxtering that poll without tactical voting has 471 Lab, 73 LD, 61 Con, Labour majority 292. Yes, I'm sure they will be panicking.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    What are we seeing is the fragmentation of the second party vote.

For decades, two parties (the old duopoly) hoovered up 80-95% of the vote. With the emergence of the Alliance, we became, briefly, a three party system in terms of votes if not seats with the Con-Lab falling back into the 60s. The 2015 implosion of the LDs seemed to have restored the duopoly and in 2017 the combined Conservative-Labour share was 82% and in 2019 75%.

Now we have three parties with 50% of the vote fighting for second place and under FPTP the leading party does absurdly well if they are still polling 35-40%.

IF this turns out to be the result on July 4th, the absurdity of FPTP will be evident to all but the most myopic.
This discussion has been closed.