Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Portillo moment for a new generation? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,476
    edited June 9

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

@Pagan2 quotes are borked but fair enough. I agree. However it is up to companies to rein in and reform their own HR departments.

What is their incentive to do so?
    If they are missing out on cheap talent, that cannot easily go elsewhere then it isn't good business.
    How do you prove that to them when most companies that aren't advertising min wage jobs are...must have a degree in the advert.

Hell I have applied for jobs in software engineering and been told that despite 30 years experience I am not qualified because no degree
    You'll be delighted to hear the Public Sector is leading the way here.
    Due to the shortage of teachers, classes are increasingly being covered (and increasingly permanently led) by non-graduate HLTA's.
    On as little as less than £23k.
    Though possibly a job where a higher level of education is relevant. Be clear here I am not saying degrees are necessarily worthless. I am merely saying there seems to be a lot of jobs that were quite happily done properly by people with o levels or a levels alone that suddenly require a degree and a load of student debt
    FWIW I will hire a software engineer based on their github/track record over their degree (or lack thereof).

But my CEO will always have degree snobbery. And oxbridge snobbery, come to think of it. That will only last a short while until someone proves themselves however...
    It is a bit like nepotism. Lots of people can do a job but only a chosen handful will be given the chance. I recently posted here a 1970s advert for school-leavers to work for banks, back in the days when bank manager was pillar of the community and an A-level job. Taken in aggregate, I doubt limiting opportunity in this way is good for business or Britain.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,858
    EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

@Pagan2 quotes are borked but fair enough. I agree. However it is up to companies to rein in and reform their own HR departments.

If they are missing out on cheap talent, that cannot easily go elsewhere then it isn't good business.
    How do you prove that to them when most companies that aren't advertising min wage jobs are...must have a degree in the advert.

Hell I have applied for jobs in software engineering and been told that despite 30 years experience I am not qualified because no degree
    Due to the shortage of teachers, classes are increasingly being covered (and increasingly permanently led) by non-graduate HLTA's.
    Though possibly a job where a higher level of education is relevant. Be clear here I am not saying degrees are necessarily worthless. I am merely saying there seems to be a lot of jobs that were quite happily done properly by people with o levels or a levels alone that suddenly require a degree and a load of student debt
    FWIW I will hire a software engineer based on their github/track record over their degree (or lack thereof).

But my CEO will always have degree snobbery. And oxbridge snobbery, come to think of it. That will only last a short while until someone proves themselves however...
    Careers with that kind of accessible track record are pretty distinctive; it would make sense. I suppose the question is what better way you can signal your abilities than university. CVs, interviews, probably do not tell you enough about personal resilience or even the mere ability to work on thinking problems for more than a few hours. And then there are things like financial resilience - which you can signal pretty well by completing a degree - I know they used to look at the cut of your suit in some jobs.
    One of the best developers I ever hired came via Bedford jail and a Northampton cult called The Jesus Army.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,499

There won't be an EU to rejoin I fancy, the wheels are coming off

If that comes to pass the EU will be the least of our worries.
    We live in interesting times
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,127
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I will almost always hire off personal recommendations, because the ability of developers to get along is much underrated.

You can be the most amazing developer in the abstract, or even of an open source project where you are the sole cause, but if you have annoying habits that drive your colleagues crazy, then you're probably not going to be a net benefit to the team.
    You mean I always insist on programming naked is a negative?
    It's fine working from home...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,444

Everybody should leave Richard Holden alone. Assuming he wins his seat, it's more than sufficient punishment to know that he will, presumably, be obliged to have a home in Basildon or Billericay. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I don't think it's a dead cert that he will win the seat. If Reform have a good, local candidate (and I agree it's a big if), he looks in serious trouble.
    The Reform candidate is here:
    https://www.reformparty.uk/basildon-and-billericay-constituency

I confess to being mystified by one of his "what can we do for the constituency" aims:
    Keep local people local!
    What on earth does he mean, I wonder? Do they have to stay in Basildon/Billericay for their holidays?
    Oh, the irony:

"Born in London and moving to Essex in the early 80’s...
    ...I would like to ringfence the constituency in respect of:-
    Local housing for local people first.
    All new build rental stock to be offered to local people first no exceptions.
    All new build property to be offered at a discounted rate minimum 5% to local people who wish to buy."
    Not defending him as such but only ironic if he moved into a new build property when he arrived. Otherwise he would be unaffected by his proposals.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,167
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I will almost always hire off personal recommendations, because the ability of developers to get along is much underrated.

You can be the most amazing developer in the abstract, or even of an open source project where you are the sole cause, but if you have annoying habits that drive your colleagues crazy, then you're probably not going to be a net benefit to the team.
    It's fine working from home...
    Would it help if I was taylor swift?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,271

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Thinking 100k is an average salary is no different to the remainer lie that we lost 4% gdp when even where we were in the eu the last time our gdp increased by 4% was in 2000

Is this a riddle?
    No its simple statement...our gdp didnt grow by 4% a year while we were in the eu since 2000.....the remainer lie is we lost 4% gdp somehow by leaving even though our gdp has continued rising. If it didnt rise by 4% while we were in the eu claiming it would have done is people like you just talking bollocks or as I would put it being a fucking lying piece of shit
    :lol:
    I think you missed your last dose of thorazine
    Pagan's initial post wasn't clear, but his clarification is quite easy to understand unless you're dull-witted or being deliberately obtuse for rip-roaringly comedic effect.
    The second post was hilariously abusive and seemed to indicate I'd been talking about some 4% thing. I sort of assumed he was continuing a conversation he'd been having with someone else, and honestly that might still be the case idk. Quite why he decided I was a "fucking lying piece of shit" on the back of me asking "is this a riddle?" was way past my extremely limited capacities to understand.
    I assure you I was not being deliberately obtuse, so I guess that leaves the dull-witted option.
    Well, he was abominably rude to you to call you a lying piece of shit, and actually you handled it in a very classy way, but I think I sort of blanked that part of his post out and just thought he'd explained his concept and you were still having a general giggle at his incoherence. Apologies.
    No need for an apology. And I can take the abuse all day long... I just prefer to have actually earned it than it be given for free.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Careers with that kind of accessible track record are pretty distinctive; it would make sense. I suppose the question is what better way you can signal your abilities than university. CVs, interviews, probably do not tell you enough about personal resilience or even the mere ability to work on thinking problems for more than a few hours. And then there are things like financial resilience - which you can signal pretty well by completing a degree - I know they used to look at the cut of your suit in some jobs.
    One of the best developers I ever hired came via Bedford jail and a Northampton cult called The Jesus Army.
    Developers on the whole tend to be odd people and quite often the better they are the more neurodivergent they are and the more quirks they seem to have
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 325
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Have you used your daily picture yet?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I'm afraid so.

(Although most of the worst habits involve a refusal to adhere to testing standards, of single word git commit comments, and of littering code with commented out print statements.)
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,518

Everybody should leave Richard Holden alone. Assuming he wins his seat, it's more than sufficient punishment to know that he will, presumably, be obliged to have a home in Basildon or Billericay. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I don't think it's a dead cert that he will win the seat. If Reform have a good, local candidate (and I agree it's a big if), he looks in serious trouble.
    I’m guess Holly Valance turned down the offer?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,476
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I'm afraid so.

(Although most of the worst habits involve a refusal to adhere to testing standards, of single word git commit comments, and of littering code with commented out print statements.)
    It saves finding out how debuggers work.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,518

DougSeal said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

I just got an email from David Cameron.

Hmm.

Oh you tease. Come on, spill the beans.
    It was a video aimed at Conservatives Abroad for voting in the GE, which I presume can be linked to his role as foreign secretary.
    All 3.5 million of them. The Tories could win a very decent majority on the ex pat Tory votes alone
    Though usually just 100 000 or so actually vote, don't they?
    I do fear the other parties have missed a trick. Perhaps this is the plan Sunak keeps telling us about.
    You really have this view of the Tories as being a Machiavellian election winning machine don’t you? There’s plenty of evidence that the ex-pat vote won’t go Tory.

The last person to carp so incessantly on TV about his ‘plan’ was Baldrick.
    Yes Mexican is tiresome. The sad fact is he is good poster when not droning on about how great the Tories are.
    You may think of me as the poor man's Boris Johnson, but on this I am deadly serious. You'll be crying in your beer when 3.5 million Afrikaaners swing the election. Why do you think the Tories changed the 15 years rule, voters ID and boundary changes? They are cheating barstewards.
    To be clear, are you still forecasting a Tory victory (albeit in July rather than January, as you had insisted ad nauseam on here)
    Sunak isn't helping me out here, but as Laura Kuenssberg keeps reminding us, 3 and a half weeks is a long time in politics.
    So what’s your answer? What is your current prediction? I’m genuinely interested
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I'm afraid so.

I never leave comments in my code except about what an arsehole our architects are
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 325
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Developers on the whole tend to be odd people and quite often the better they are the more neurodivergent they are and the more quirks they seem to have
    This is very much true, but it's also true that other developers need to maintain their code. So I am perfectly fine with "cannot give a powerpoint presentation" neurodivergent, possibly tolerant of "refuses to document anything"* neurodivergent, but "invents their own framework and says figure it out for yourself" neurodivergent is probably out. Although not necessarily. I got my own position by doing the latter.

*tbf this is a general dev trait regardless of spectrum spatial positioning
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

"Yes, it's a bit strange I know. But you should see his Python!"
    euw python.....
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,947
    rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

kjh said:

Tonight's a
    Tonight's accommodation. Cheap, nice set menu. Just under 300 km cycled so far. Knackered.

Where are you cycling from and to?
    Orleans to Nantes.
    So, about 330km in total: how many days are you doing it in? 3? 4?

How are the bike lanes?
    Just over 400 km including the faffing around in Calais, Paris, etc. Maximum days 70 km. Using Velo 6 mainly Bike lanes excellent, ranging from excellent tarmac to decent gravel paths.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,065
    edited June 9
    Another labour u turn

FT headline

Labour throws out proposal to bring back cap on tax - free pensions

Can you trust anything they say ?

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,293

I confess to being mystified by one of his "what can we do for the constituency" aims:
    Keep local people local!
    What on earth does he mean, I wonder? Do they have to stay in Basildon/Billericay for their holidays?
    Oh, the irony:

All new build property to be offered at a discounted rate minimum 5% to local people who wish to buy."
    Not defending him as such but only ironic if he moved into a new build property when he arrived. Otherwise he would be unaffected by his proposals.
    Er... 'Local housing for local people first'? Nothing about new builds there.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

This is very much true, but it's also true that other developers need to maintain their code. So I am perfectly fine with "cannot give a powerpoint presentation" neurodivergent, possibly tolerant of "refuses to document anything"* neurodivergent, but "invents their own framework and says figure it out for yourself" neurodivergent is probably out. Although not necessarily. I got my own position by doing the latter.

One of our best programmer in out team is frankly as mad as a box of frogs, he sings to us in teams chat......his code is however is top notch and fully tested and documented and he can explain it...just the rest of the time he sings
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I'm afraid so.

I never leave comments in my code except about what an arsehole our architects are
    Yeah, that probably fails the "ability of developers to get along" criteria.
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

(£)
    What's the actual story?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,444

Keep local people local!
    Oh, the irony:

You specifically quoted him saying he would achieve that by prioritising local access to New Builds.

Read your own post.
  • Options
    edited June 9
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I'm afraid so.

Our architects arent developers or part of the team and we all agree they dont know their ass from their elbow. The running joke now is we dont bother with the first or second ticket on something on jira and wait for the third when they actually make their mind up
  • Options
    edited June 9
    Farooq said:

Another labour u turn

FT headline

(£)
    What's the actual story?
    They were to reinstate the tax free pension limit the conservatives abolished but now, apparently, they agree with the conservatives decision

Good for doctors and highly paid civil servants
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I'm afraid so.

Our architects arent developers or part of the team and we all agree they dont know their ass from their elbow. The running joke now is we dont bother with the first or second ticket on something on jira and wait for the third when they actually make their mind up
    Note are current architects have never done software jobs they are generalists
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,441
    CBS poll tonight has Trump and Biden neck and neck.

Yet while Trump leads in the popular vote by a narrow 50% to 49% margin, Biden surprisingly now leads in the battleground states by an equally narrow 50% to 49%
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-trump-biden-neck-and-neck-06-09-2024/
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

It is a bit like nepotism. Lots of people can do a job but only a chosen handful will be given the chance. I recently posted here a 1970s advert for school-leavers to work for banks, back in the days when bank manager was pillar of the community and an A-level job. Taken in aggregate, I doubt limiting opportunity in this way is good for business or Britain.
    I was working at the British Geological Survey back in the mid 80s when a new directive came down that all the specialists had to reapply for their own jobs and that preference would be for those with doctorates. One of the ladies working there had been in post for many years and had been one of the original developers of the use of X-ray techniques for studying clay mineralogy. She did not have a doctorate but was one of the leading experts in her field. She was put into the pool and failed to get retained for her original job.

I don't know what happened afterwards as my short term contract came to an end but I always remember the dispair amongst her colleagues that they were going to lose one of the real experts in their field because of an administrative decision based on the perceived value of qualificatins over experience.
    That sounds fairly typical frankly
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662
    Why exactly should a Primary School teacher with a degree in English, Maths or Science take priority over someone who is basically literate and numerate, but is great with little kids?
    Or indeed one with a degree in Chinese? Who may or may not be adept with the little ones?
  • Options

Keep local people local!
    Oh, the irony:

You specifically quoted him saying he would achieve that by prioritising local access to New Builds.

Read your own post.
    I just quoted his own webpage. The bullet marks didn't come across but 'Local housing for local people first' is a standalone point. Read it yourself:

• Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 910
    Scott_xP said:

@AllieHBNews

Monday’s TIMES: “Tories must embrace Farage, says Braverman” #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://x.com/AllieHBNews/status/1799913094933606730

If they do, they deserve to be in opposition for a very long time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,413
    HYUFD said:

Yet while Trump leads in the popular vote by a narrow 50% to 49% margin, Biden surprisingly now leads in the battleground states by an equally narrow 50% to 49%

Not that surprising if he's losing ground in New York and Virginia as suggested a few days ago.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 815

Keep local people local!
    "Nobody has any intention of building a wall."
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

My favorite was a developer used his own web server for a simple API because "it was easier".

And when I say "own web server", I mean he'd coded a web server a decade earlier when things like WSGI weren't as ubiquitous as now.

After 18 months, we had a bunch of critical processes running on an unmaintained web server that only one person understood.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Why "surprisingly"?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,516

FFS. BBC values.

News at 10 leads on Mosley.

So hard to defend the Beeb anymore as it constantly fails in its actual remit.

Am I the only person who'd never heard of him? Given the outpourings he must have been a lovely guy, but really?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

Am I the only person who'd never heard of him? Given the outpourings he must have been a lovely guy, but really?
    Nope. Me neither.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

I've never heard of him either.

Indeed, for a moment I wondered if Farage had been saying something about Oswald Mosley.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

My favorite was a developer used his own web server for a simple API because "it was easier".

And when I say "own web server", I mean he'd coded a web server a decade earlier when things like WSGI weren't as ubiquitous as now.

After 18 months, we had a bunch of critical processes running on an unmaintained web server that only one person understood.

When I started working as a coder a lot did that for job security...make it obscure and you cant sack me. They usually came a cropper because not even they could maintain their code base and it fell over
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I agree. I have met too many senior engineers who simply cannot work with people.
  • Options
    edited June 9
    Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

@AllieHBNews

Monday’s TIMES: “Tories must embrace Farage, says Braverman” #TomorrowsPapersToday

Peer, to Wilkes: 'You will die either of the pox or on the gallows!'

Wilkes: 'That depends on whether I embrace your lordship's mistress or your principles.'

Embracing Farage would give them a nasty STI *before* seeing them obliterated...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,499
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

I don't watch TV really so I'd never heard of him
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,999
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

A good bunch on the whole, computer programmers. Diligent, honest, grounded.
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

That's a huge stretch Big_G.

As the article points out Labour said they intended to reintroduce the Lifetime Allowance "but had not come up with details of how the allowance, a complex piece of tax legislation, could be reinstated."

I know you are looking for a straw or two but really, this is not one.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

When I started working as a coder a lot did that for job security...make it obscure and you cant sack me. They usually came a cropper because not even they could maintain their code base and it fell over
    He came a cropper because he refused to check in the code for his web server because it was his IP he'd created before he started working here.

Eventually even senior management realized that being dependent on something that no one knew anything about was a massive risk.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,399
    dixiedean said:

Why exactly should a Primary School teacher with a degree in English, Maths or Science take priority over someone who is basically literate and numerate, but is great with little kids?
    Or indeed one with a degree in Chinese? Who may or may not be adept with the little ones?

I think the problem is that a degree is in part a good signal of general intelligence, whereas it's very hard to credibly signal "great with little kids".
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Well that's very kind of you to say. But I am not so sure of all people.

I prefer the term Software Engineer as it happens.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

I agree. I have met too many senior engineers who simply cannot work with people.
    I got sacked once for refusing to work with people, in my case it was refusing to take part in the transfer of data from the home office because they insisted on sending personal details of vulnerable people via unencrypted email and when I refused to deal with that.....well
  • Options
    This must be the first leadership election to take place during a general election.

The Tories must be trying to lose. I really do think now I am starting to consider that 150 seats might be too many.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 637
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

He's presented a couple of dozen science docs and series on the BBC, and has had a few series on Channel 4 recently.

If you've heard of the 5:2 diet, or intermittent fasting in the last few years, it's almost certainly because of him.

He's not quite Brian Cox, but he's still one of the biggest science names on the BBC over the last couple of decades.

Given the nature of his death, and the search, I'm not surprised it's considered a big story.
  • Options
    edited June 9

carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

He is credited with introducing the 5 - 2 diet that helps to address pre diabetes in patients and indeed help patients to lose the weight to return to non diabetic

It is widely acclaimed and I believe he wrote a regular medical column in the daily mail

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/what-52-diet
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,485
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

It is the Beeb once again trying to chase Daily Mail land.

He's a medical journalist who has also appeared a lot on TV.

This is apparently a bigger story than 100s of millions of europeans going to the polls and Macron calling elections.

Labour need to sort out BBC senior management and board because it no longer does its actual remit.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,354
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

No. I had to ask Mrs. F who he was and why he was deemed to be important. Even though I use the 5 2 diet on occasion.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

I've watched quite a few of his health programmes, mainly on BBC. Informative and entertaining, mainly based on sound medical science as far as I could tell. Always came across as a nice guy, inquisitive, self-effacing. I can see why he was popular with those who've seen his programmes.
  • Options
    edited June 9

FFS. BBC values.

Why? Mosley did some excellent docs on medical matters, was a regular on the One Show and C4 and produced some well followed diet programmes.

I suspect the average BBC viewer is more interested in his sad passing than elections for an EU Parliament we no longer vote for and the resignation of an Israeli Cabinet Minister (though both were also covered in the News at 10)
  • Options

Bill Kristol
    @BillKristol
    ·
    2h
    Trump laying groundwork for pulling out of the debate.

https://x.com/BillKristol/status/1799889223677292975
  • Options

This must be the first leadership election to take place during a general election.

The Tories must be trying to lose. I really do think now I am starting to consider that 150 seats might be too many.

Er... aren't you getting a bit ahead of yourself now. Or am I watching the world on some weird time delay?
  • Options
    edited June 9
    HYUFD said:

FFS. BBC values.

Why? Mosley did some excellent docs on medical matters, was a regular on the One Show and C4 and produced some well followed diet programmes.

I suspect the average BBC viewer is more interested in his sad passing than elections for an EU Parliament we no longer vote for and the resignation of an Israeli Cabinet Minister (though both were also covered in the News at 10)
    That's the point. Thinking they are pandering to the Mail side of the audience. What happened to 'inform'?

No one is going to switch off because Mosley isn't the lead item. They are chasing phantom ratings.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Keep local people local!
    "Nobody has any intention of building a wall."
    I would have thought that a wall round Basildon would be a good idea. It would prevent innocent people straying there inadvertently.
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

As the article points out Labour said they intended to reintroduce the Lifetime Allowance "but had not come up with details of how the allowance, a complex piece of tax legislation, could be reinstated."

Sorry but Reeves has abandoned the change and it has been welcomed by the BMA among others

It will not be reinstated by Labour and it is not in their manifesto to do so
  • Options
    edited June 9
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Why "surprisingly"?
    As if the election result was like that on polling day it would be the first time a Democrat candidate for President had won the election while losing the popular vote (albeit arguably JFK would have done in 1960 if not for dodgy votes being added for him by Mayor Daley in Chicago).

Would also be amusing if after all this Trump did actually win 50% of the popular vote and the highest GOP voteshare since Bush in 2004 yet STILL lost the electoral college to Biden
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,584

Bill Kristol
    @BillKristol
    ·
    2h

This is presumably why

https://x.com/harryjsisson/status/1799902111582613526
  • Options
    https://x.com/lewisUTBdenison/status/1799918648821535106/photo/2

I asked the Conservative Party press office to explain why Richard Holden was dodging selection questions by talking about Emily Thornberry instead

The response is remarkable

The robot is broken.
  • Options

carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

This is apparently a bigger story than 100s of millions of europeans going to the polls and Macron calling elections.

Labour need to sort out BBC senior management and board because it no longer does its actual remit.
    I am not defending the BBC but Mosley was a TV celeb who has just died in unusual circumstances. That would always grab the news and is, I suspect, a lot more interesting to 90% of the population than Euro elections.
  • Options

Er... aren't you getting a bit ahead of yourself now. Or am I watching the world on some weird time delay?
    Not getting complacent, just that Braverman is welcoming Farage in, in a clear sign she wants to take over after the loss and join with him. Which is batty.

I still have an inkling we could see a hung parliament but those fears have receded to a 10% chance.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FFS. BBC values.

Which is sad, and demonstrates how shallow and insular too many Brits now are. Lord Reith would not have approved.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Bill Kristol
    @BillKristol
    ·
    2h

This is presumably why

https://x.com/harryjsisson/status/1799902111582613526
    He is mentally deficient.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,127

Farooq said:

Another labour u turn

FT headline

(£)
    What's the actual story?
    They were to reinstate the tax free pension limit the conservatives abolished but now, apparently, they agree with the conservatives decision

Probably better to limit tax relief to the basic rate rather than bring back a lifetime limit.
  • Options

carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

He is credited with introducing the 5 - 2 diet that helps to address pre diabetes in patients and indeed help patients to lose the weight to return to non diabetic

It is widely acclaimed and I believe he wrote a regular medical column in the daily mail

He didn't introduce the pre-diabetic stuff.

Roy Taylor - newcastle medical professor - did all the work and wrote papers and books for years when no one else believed him.

Fellow academics literally refused to speak to him at conferences because they believed he was wrong.

He deserves the nobel prize frankly.

• Options
    Jesus Twitter is just awful now, Trump post replies are either nutters or prostitutes
  • Options
    edited June 9

carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

The last EU Parliament elections in 2019 saw just 37% of British voters bother to vote, we couldn't care much about EU elections when in the EU and the vast majority of us certainly could not care less about them now we are no longer in the EU.

Macron called a mid term French legislative election, also I expect a yawn from the average British TV watchers sofa beyond political geeks like us.

Michael Mosley though I can see gogglebox viewers going, 'Oh, how sad, he did some really interesting documentaries and seemed such a nice guy.'
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 439
    carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

I get spammed by Google twice a month with stories from the Oswestry Announcer and such about his one simple tip for living to 95. We will know fairly soon how ironic this is.
  • Options

carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

It might be to you but he is a very important contributor to the health of the nation and in particular diabetics

For many he has helped and this is a big story - of course the EU and French developments will feature far longer and in more depth on the BBC following the Mosley story

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,229

Jesus Twitter is just awful now, Trump post replies are either nutters or prostitutes

They boost people who pay for twitter, which is specifically these two demographics.
  • Options
    edited June 9

Hard to tell, what do you think the date is? It's the 29th June where I am. The first Conservative leadership hustings is tomorrow. I hope it isn't overshadowed by the news of Farage's imminent wedding to Taylor Swift which really did take me by surprise.
    Meanwhile, King Harry has inserted himself into the election by publicly announcing he's refused Sunak's resignation as PM twice in two days. I think it's ill advised for him to have spoken about this, as it's clearly going to affect the Tories' chances of finishing 5th ahead of the Greens.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,999

kinabalu said:

Yes. Or Developer.

I tended to enjoy working with them.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 257

The Republican base!
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

Sorry but Reeves has abandoned the change and it has been welcomed by the BMA among others

Struggling to see the problem here.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yes. Or Developer.

I tended to enjoy working with them.
    You seem a nice chap. What did you do?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,199
    ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

Scott_xP said:

@AllieHBNews

Peer, to Wilkes: 'You will die either of the pox or on the gallows!'

Wilkes: 'That depends on whether I embrace your lordship's mistress or your principles.'

Embracing Farage would give them a nasty STI *before* seeing them obliterated...
    IIRC the peer in question was the Earl of Sandwich. Noted ministerialist and horndog.

AND punter. Credited with inventing the sandwich, to avoid leaving the gaming table but still eat a meal.
  • Options

https://x.com/lewisUTBdenison/status/1799918648821535106/photo/2

I asked the Conservative Party press office to explain why Richard Holden was dodging selection questions by talking about Emily Thornberry instead

The response is remarkable

The robot is broken.

On the subject of Emily Thornberry good to see she admitted today their vat on school places will result in children having to be accommodated in state schools
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,396

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

However, looked at some ways, an A-Level then was equivalent to a degree now.

It's not that long ago that a meaningful number of people left school with no qualifications whatsoever. Skip school at Easter aged 16, no exams and walk into the entriest of entry level jobs. I was at school in the 1980s, and it still happened a bit. Fixing that by moving the leaving day to late June of GCSE year was one of the dying acts of the Major government. It only came into force for the class of 1998.

From that point of view, taking A-Levels said "committed enough and academic enough to study for a couple of years beyond compulsory education". The important bit wasn't so much the content as the signalling of ability and effort.

Now, the vast majority are in education until 18; everyone is educated more than they were a few decades ago. That's a good thing. But young people who do A-Levels and then stop now aren't the same people who did A-Levels and stopped then.
  • Options

Why do you bother following it then ?
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

Just another u turn
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,396

It was happening on the quiet in 1997. It is a bit louder now, but heaven only knows what it will be like if the Conservative campaign continues to flounder.

Thing is, they're all so mediocre.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 257

OT fireworks! Not sure why.

Monday tomorrow!
  • Options
    emily m
    @maitlis
    ·
    1h
    Close ( French ) friend in Paris tonight tells me she’s not surprised … 🇫🇷
    “Someone told me in paris 3 weeks ago macron will dissolve parliament to put bardella in power so bardella can really mess up in the next 2 years and they ll loose the presidential.
    That s a tactic…”
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,516
    Foxy said:

Farooq said:

Another labour u turn

FT headline

(£)
    What's the actual story?

Probably better to limit tax relief to the basic rate rather than bring back a lifetime limit.
    Some government has to have the balls to do that eventually. Most people getting 40% tax relief on the way in will only be paying 0%/20% on the way out.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,604

They boost people who pay for twitter, which is specifically these two demographics.
    “The world’s town hall”, according to its owner.
  • Options
    Labour to ban over 80 year olds from the House of Lords it is reported
    https://x.com/richardmarcj/status/1799810016465359099
  • Options
    edited June 9
    EPG said:

dixiedean said:

I think the problem is that a degree is in part a good signal of general intelligence, whereas it's very hard to credibly signal "great with little kids".
    Yes. But you don't need general intelligence to work Primary. Nor Ks3 tbh.
    You need to be good with kids.
  • Options

carnforth said:

FFS. BBC values.

He didn't introduce the pre-diabetic stuff.

Roy Taylor - newcastle medical professor - did all the work and wrote papers and books for years when no one else believed him.

Fellow academics literally refused to speak to him at conferences because they believed he was wrong.

He deserves the nobel prize frankly.

He most certainly is credited with making it popular with lots of tributes to him

Not sure why you seem to be so upset by him and the coverage of his sad death
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,874
    Just seen that the Belgian PM has resigned. Will there be an early election there as well?
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

Just another u turn
    Wheels are coming off Labour's campaign tonight, eh! ;-)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Labour to ban over 80 year olds from the House of Lords it is reported
    https://x.com/richardmarcj/status/1799810016465359099

Excellent and should be younger

Indeed abolish it altogether
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

EPG said:

dixiedean said:

Yes. But you don't need general intelligence to work Primary. Nor Ks3 tbh.
    You need to be good with kids.
    Yes, indeed you probably don't need a degree to teach secondary up to GCSE either, being able to connect with kids and keep them in order is probably more important.

You only really need a degree as a teacher to teach A Levels or IB
  • Options

Another labour u turn

FT headline

Just another u turn
    Wheels are coming off Labour's campaign tonight, eh! ;-)
    Don't listen to Big G, he's just ardently campaigning for a Plaid Cymru victory.
This discussion has been closed.