Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Home Alone 2 star found guilty on all 34 counts in criminal case – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,833
edited June 8 in General
imageHome Alone 2 star found guilty on all 34 counts in criminal case – politicalbetting.com

BREAKING: Donald Trump found guilty on all 34 counts https://t.co/PwlJMxXk9G

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,036
    Dammit, I should have used the leaky Pecker gag
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,210
    In all the Trump excitement, have we done this?

A member of Benjamin Netanyahu’s war cabinet has moved to dissolve Israel’s government to unseat the prime minister.

Benny Gantz’s National Unity Party submitted a bill to dissolve parliament on Thursday, citing the “disaster” of October 7. He added the need “to restore the people’s trust and to establish a broad, stable unity government that can safely lead in the face of the tremendous challenges in security, in the economy and in Israeli society” after the Hamas invasion, which claimed the lives of 1,200 in a single day.

The bill was also submitted by Israel’s other opposition parties, meaning it could be brought to a vote immediately.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/05/30/netanyahu-war-cabinet-israel-government-dissolve-unseat-pm/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,726
    edited May 30
    Won't change as many minds as it should, but hopefully will change enough.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,699
    Trump can no longer vote for himself as a convicted felon?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,691
    Laying him at evens now looks a pretty good bet ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Yah.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,411

He will be able to unless he's actually in prison.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,699

Well before this trial started, I did suggest you might have to change your Minions "Ramsbottom" ringtone....
  • Options

One thing Trump's worshippers won't be talking about is how much of the corroborating evidence came from people like Pecker or Hope Hicks, who say they still like, admire, or support Trump. It was not a litany of people who hate him, even though the box office witness, Cohen, does.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

That's what Stormy said.
  • Options

You deserve all the plaudits for flagging up Trump's legal woes.
  • Options
    Trump was also in a movie called 'Ghosts can't do it', about a beautiful younger woman married to an older man who kills himself, and she is trying to get his spirit to take over a younger man by killing them so they can be together again.

No, he was not the lead.
  • Options
    edited May 30
    What is Ed Davey's desperate PR stunt for tomorrow? Chainsaw Juggling?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,196
    What a time to be alive eh?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,823
    Scott_xP said:

@ProfChalmers

Keir Starmer is musing over about how to handle diplomatic relations with a convicted criminal if Trump is re-elected; Rishi Sunak is wondering if a misstep by Starmer might cause problems for Brits who want to move to the US; Ed Davey is psyching himself for the bungee jump.

Starmer is presumably cockahoop that the news will distract from his purge.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,262

Sentencing July 11th.

Assuming it gets that far. @Leon has a point - you want a civil war, you point out that their messiah is a crook.

But, and its a fundamental but - he IS a crook. So-called patriots will be foaming that the only way to protect the constitution is to bin the constitution. The Rule of Law applies to all or it applies to none.
    Do you think Bill Clinton's "bimbo eruption" payoffs were all properly accounted for?
    Whataboutery at its absolute finest.
    You said that, "The Rule of Law applies to all or it applies to none." If the law is being used unequally to target one man for political reasons, then there's a problem.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Speaker Mike Johnson has really disgraced himself and his office tonight.

He's a man of deep Christian values...except in this case.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That last word is superfluous.

D'you reckon he could be jailed for contempt as well?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,359
    This verdict has probably decided the presidential election in my view.

Had Trump been acquitted he would probably have won with 51%, now he has been found guilty Biden will probably be re elected with 51% as the key Independent swing voters move back his way.

Most US voters won't change their mind because of this and Trump will still get his 45%+ core vote but it may have locked in the key swing voters for Biden, especially those who voted for Obama in 2012, Trump or Johnson in 2016 and Biden in 2020
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yah.
    Still available in volume on Betfair.
    I’ve reloaded on my Trump short, which I’d been easing off on a month or so back.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,729
    Odd that no pb-er mentions this

“On 3 June, the trial of Hunter Biden on federal gun charges kicks off in Delaware. Seemingly clueless to this reality, the president hosted his prodigal son at a recent state dinner for William Ruto, the president of Kenya. Hunter Biden also faces a trial on criminal tax charges in early September, just as the fall campaign begins in earnest.”

But then I’m sourcing that well known Trumpite rag…. The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/30/trump-convicted-trial-election
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,447

Scott_xP said:

@ProfChalmers

Keir Starmer is musing over about how to handle diplomatic relations with a convicted criminal if Trump is re-elected; Rishi Sunak is wondering if a misstep by Starmer might cause problems for Brits who want to move to the US; Ed Davey is psyching himself for the bungee jump.

Yes, tomorrow will be a good day to finish any finishings that have to be made for the Greater Party.
  • Options
    I think the judge will send Donald to jail... Probably a short sentence of 30 days or something like that but I have a feeling the judge will make an example of him.
  • Options

Sentencing July 11th.

Assuming it gets that far. @Leon has a point - you want a civil war, you point out that their messiah is a crook.

But, and its a fundamental but - he IS a crook. So-called patriots will be foaming that the only way to protect the constitution is to bin the constitution. The Rule of Law applies to all or it applies to none.
    Do you think Bill Clinton's "bimbo eruption" payoffs were all properly accounted for?
    You said that, "The Rule of Law applies to all or it applies to none." If the law is being used unequally to target one man for political reasons, then there's a problem.
    People are prosecuted for falsifying business records all the time. Selective prosecution can be argued (it probably was pre-trial, and presumably was rejected), but a failure to hold one person to account does not mean everyone should not be held to account.

There's a Democratic Senator on trial for corruption right now, he looks dead to rights by the SC has made convicting corruption very difficult, so hopefully they get him.
  • Options

Not look like a wanker whilst getting onto a night sleeper train?
  • Options

Sentencing July 11th.

It’s not, though.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,247
    Seems like Trump Derangement Syndrome was actually We've Got A Pretty Good Measure Of This Cnut Syndrome all along
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662

Sentencing July 11th.

Sentencing July 11th.

It would.
    But it isn't.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,097

DavidL said:

Desperate knee bending fawning bollocks.

Shameful.

But the GOP is finished as a proper party. It is a cult.
    I keep hoping that they will take a step back but they double down every time.

Apparently his campaign has said he is a political prisoner and asking for money to help at this critical time. He is beyond shame.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I think the judge will send Donald to jail... Probably a short sentence of 30 days or something like that but I have a feeling the judge will make an example of him.

Given there's no chance of him serving it whilst the conviction itself is being appealed, if it is an available punishment then it would be warranted (especially with all the contempt of court Trump engaged in), the judge could issue that sentence without anyone worrying it would prevent Trump from campaigning.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,743
    Leon said:

“On 3 June, the trial of Hunter Biden on federal gun charges kicks off in Delaware. Seemingly clueless to this reality, the president hosted his prodigal son at a recent state dinner for William Ruto, the president of Kenya. Hunter Biden also faces a trial on criminal tax charges in early September, just as the fall campaign begins in earnest.”

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/may/30/trump-convicted-trial-election

Is Hunter Biden running to be President at all? I've not been following, but that would be huge if true.
  • Options
    I didn't watch QT. I presume it was a shit show of Farage and Moron shouting bollocks.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,820
    Leon said:

What role does Hunter play in the administration?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,662
    GIN1138 said:

Not entirely convinced his remarks will help.
    They are probably enough to bang him up for contempt.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Is Hunter Biden running for President?

Huge, if true.
    It’s the optics. They’re not good for the Dems
  • Options
    JamarionJamarion Posts: 49
    1. Trump seems fucked.
    2. But a Biden walkover seems unlikely.
    3. Conclusion: something's gotta break.

Watch Haley. She may seriously want to take over the ultra-obnoxious shitbag ticket:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/05/29/nikki-haley-signs-shell-israel-visit-gaza-hama/
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,689
    DavidL said:

Yup. So much for the rule of law in the US.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Shameful.

Apparently his campaign has said he is a political prisoner and asking for money to help at this critical time. He is beyond shame.
    He sells sneakers, bibles with his name on them, bits of his suit from when he was indicted, they are very creative.

The GOP are just in too deep - those who were not on the Trump train knew he had enough support and money to run as an independent and screw them completely, or they could kowtow and hope to be on the winning side at least. Almost of them made the choice.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,820

Sentencing July 11th.

Then you need to get rid of elected prosecutors.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure that there are outstanding complaints of contempt. I thought there was but I have read that other than another $1k fine the other charges were dismissed. Not sure if the court will take the view that the order remains in place but his statement really pushed the boundaries once again.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

And insulted both Grand Jury and the jurors in this case.

And it’s simply a lie to say that “the Biden Administration” brought this case.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,247
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huge, if true.
    This is great stuff. People told me you were a good writer but I never really saw it. Now I do.
  • Options
    Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

Watch Haley. She may seriously want to take over the ultra-obnoxious shitbag ticket:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/us/politics/2024/05/29/nikki-haley-signs-shell-israel-visit-gaza-hama/

32 is value for Haley tonight I think on BF.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,743

Visiting the key marginal of Crinkly Bottom. Word has reached Ed that their Gunge Tank has broken, and he's determined to fix it personally, even if that involves a degree of personal risk.
  • Options
    edited May 30
    Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

She's angling for the VP slot, but she said too many nasty things about him to get it by his choice. Maybe she will try to get the spot by saying she will go against him if he does not, due to the verdict.

It is notable how nearly everyone who worked for Trump when president says he is terrible and should not be president...though only a handful of those then followed through. Not that they would support Biden, that was improbable, but Pence has said Trump should never be president again, but then still said he will vote for him.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,643
    Thanks for the header @TSE

Trump did not .. er .. last as long as I was expecting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

This verdict has probably decided the presidential election in my view.

Had Trump been acquitted he would probably have won with 51%, now he has been found guilty Biden will probably be re elected with 51% as the key Independent swing voters move back his way.

Most US voters won't change their mind because of this and Trump will still get his 45%+ core vote but it may have locked in the key swing voters for Biden, especially those who voted for Obama in 2012, Trump or Johnson in 2016 and Biden in 2020

This is a very judicious assessment. As ever @HYUFD you are commendably objective

The conviction of trump makes his election less likely. But still quite possible. Is all
  • Options
    JamarionJamarion Posts: 49

Scott_xP said:

@ProfChalmers

Thank you to the professor who's clearly keeping his nose glued to his screen.

There's no diplomatic problem whatsofuckingever in dealing with a foreign head of state who's got a criminal conviction in the state he's head of.

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,576
    @BarristerSecret

The thing about criminals - in particular stupid, venal, lying, manipulative, racist, sex-offending, democracy-defying, corrupt, fraudulent criminals - is that they are seldom as clever or persuasive as they think they are.

And they eventually find that they can’t buy justice.
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huge, if true.
    Given the Republicans have seriously delayed H. Biden's trial, interfered with due process, falsified evidence including showing illegal and doctored pornographic images and repeatedly lied about doing so, I'm not altogether sure that's true.

Hunter Biden would have been convicted three years ago but for Majorie Taylor Greene's behaviour, while now there's a reasonable chance her meddling will see him get away with everything.
  • Options
    edited May 30
    Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

If Trump gets sent to prison and can't attend the GOP convention, surely Haley will make a move?
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huge, if true.
    Hunter is a shit, and it will be used against Biden, but it is at least one step removed and there's not much that can be done about it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Did “the Biden Administration” bring that case, too ?

All it shows is that the law takes its course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I am not sure that there are outstanding complaints of contempt. I thought there was but I have read that other than another $1k fine the other charges were dismissed. Not sure if the court will take the view that the order remains in place but his statement really pushed the boundaries once again.
    I meant Johnson!
  • Options

Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton
    ·
    22m
    Be clear. After conviction of all 34 charges against him Trump’s Presidential candidature is now dead. And the US is heading for existential levels of division .

https://x.com/williamnhutton/status/1796291971675513090

====

Nope.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,804
    I will be really interested to see how the polls respond to this
  • Options
    Voters like Tories’ policies — but Labour still well ahead in poll

Pledges on national service and cutting tax for pensioners have gone down well, but Rishi Sunak is struggling to convince voters

The Tories are struggling to convert popular policy pledges into increased support, as Labour maintains its commanding lead over the Conservatives in the polls.

The latest YouGov survey of voting intention for The Times shows the Tories are still trailing Labour by 25 points, a week into the campaign.

This is despite significant backing for Conservative plans to provide a tax cut for pensioners, scrap so-called “Mickey Mouse” degrees, and to bring in national service for 18-year-olds.

Overall YouGov found that just 6 per cent of voters had a better view of the Conservative party as a result of what they had seen and heard during the campaign so far, while 18 per cent had a worse view.

In contrast Labour, which has made no significant policy announcements, did better. YouGov found that 12 per cent of voters said they had a better view of Labour than they had at the start of the campaign while 10 per cent had a worse view.

Overall the Conservatives are up one point on 21 per cent, Labour are down one point on 46 per cent while support for Reform UK has increased from 12 per cent to 15 per cent. The Liberal Democrats are down one point on 8 per cent.

The Tories’ low ratings came despite the poll finding that showed Rishi Sunak’s policy blitz had been largely popular with voters.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/voters-like-tories-policies-but-labour-still-well-ahead-in-poll-skt299gb7
  • Options

Harry Cole
    @MrHarryCole
    ·
    29m
    Starmer a lucky general tonight as his major campaign wobble blown off front pages and morning telly by Trump.
  • Options
    Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

Worth a couple of £ at 50/1.
  • Options
    edited May 30
    Scott_xP said:

@BarristerSecret

The thing about criminals - in particular stupid, venal, lying, manipulative, racist, sex-offending, democracy-defying, corrupt, fraudulent criminals - is that they are seldom as clever or persuasive as they think they are.

And they eventually find that they can’t buy justice.

Occasionally they find they can't buy justice.

Trump has used his vast resources to delay all the more serious trials until after the election.

He's used the avenues the law allows that anyone could theoretically use (apart from in Florida, where the judge would not likely be as sympathetic to someone besides him), but its only due to his wealth that he's been able to do so as effectively. A poor person would not have bought that time, and would probably not have been out of jail before the trials.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Huge, if true.
    This is great stuff. People told me you were a good writer but I never really saw it. Now I do.
    It’s not good writing at all. I’m quoting the fucking guardian. For good writing you need the spectator. I especially enjoyed this recent travel piece

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/sick-of-cornwall-visit-cornouaille/

One of their most read articles of the entire week, it seems
  • Options
    edited May 30

Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton
    ·
    22m
    Be clear. After conviction of all 34 charges against him Trump’s Presidential candidature is now dead. And the US is heading for existential levels of division .

====

Nope.

Quick pile your money on Trump....in Prof Peston also tweets something similar, its bet the farm on Trump winning.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,643
    edited May 30
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

There are probably 87+ outstanding acts of contempt; we need to wait for the Judge's sentencing.

"While I'm at it, here are 30 days for each of your 65 acts of contempt, to be served consecutively."

It won't happen quite in that way, but something is possible for a subset imo - say half a dozen since he was sanctioned then warned repeatedly that "incarceration" may be involved if there are further offences.

There were further offences,

I'm off to watch some Fox clips :smile: .

There's hope for the USA yet.

What I really want is all the Congressmen who were Trump-dicksucking-idiots-for-Trump and came to NY expressly to break the court orders, and in some cases said so, to be locked up for 30 days so Mr Biden gets a majority and some laws can be passed to put some decent rules in place to disembowel MAGA by outlawing manipulation as has been done.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,119

Sentencing July 11th.

Indeed! The problem for you is that whataboutery doesn't count as evidence.

Its the exact same thing as "what about Starmer's curry" - what about it?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

If Trump gets sent to prison and can't attend the GOP convention, surely Haley will make a move?
    Stop imagining he’ll get sent to prison. A prison sentence isn’t that likely for these offences and there would be appeals for ages even if he was given a prison sentence.
  • Options
    Are jail sentences automatically stayed pending an appeal in New York? My impression was they were not, but that's based on very limited knowledge - essentially Harvey Weinstein who was a violent offender and a risk to women.*

I imagine a fine would be stayed on posting a bond?

*This last is also true of Trump, but not relevant to the case at hand.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,689
    edited May 30

Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton

====

Nope.

I began reading Will Hutton's contributions to the Guardian/Observer about three decades ago, but I have long since stopped bothering, as you know that his thesis is always simply wish fulfilment. Wanting something to be true is not enough to make it true.
  • Options

Floridian law was changed a few years ago to re-enfranchise felons who are not actually serving a sentence at the time of the election so he will be able to vote for himself. Even if the judge imposed a custodial sentence it would be suspended pending his appeal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I meant Johnson!
    Disagreeing with a verdict is not contempt of court.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I meant Johnson!
    Protected political speech.
    Even if it’s inflammatory lies.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,112
    @kle4 - Skybet aren't offering odds on Eric Trump
  • Options

Pledges on national service and cutting tax for pensioners have gone down well, but Rishi Sunak is struggling to convince voters

The Tories are struggling to convert popular policy pledges into increased support, as Labour maintains its commanding lead over the Conservatives in the polls.

The latest YouGov survey of voting intention for The Times shows the Tories are still trailing Labour by 25 points, a week into the campaign.

This is despite significant backing for Conservative plans to provide a tax cut for pensioners, scrap so-called “Mickey Mouse” degrees, and to bring in national service for 18-year-olds.

Overall YouGov found that just 6 per cent of voters had a better view of the Conservative party as a result of what they had seen and heard during the campaign so far, while 18 per cent had a worse view.

In contrast Labour, which has made no significant policy announcements, did better. YouGov found that 12 per cent of voters said they had a better view of Labour than they had at the start of the campaign while 10 per cent had a worse view.

Overall the Conservatives are up one point on 21 per cent, Labour are down one point on 46 per cent while support for Reform UK has increased from 12 per cent to 15 per cent. The Liberal Democrats are down one point on 8 per cent.

The Tories’ low ratings came despite the poll finding that showed Rishi Sunak’s policy blitz had been largely popular with voters.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/voters-like-tories-policies-but-labour-still-well-ahead-in-poll-skt299gb7

The public have made their minds up. For better or worse they want to change the government and give LAB a go.

Nothing CON do from here will change that inevitability.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

Stop imagining he’ll get sent to prison. A prison sentence isn’t that likely for these offences and there would be appeals for ages even if he was given a prison sentence.
    In the BBC report on the radio they quoted the judge from earlier in the trial saying that basically they won't send him to jail for a number of reasons. The question is really is the punishment just financial, will it include restrictions on movement while doing some sort of community service, etc.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,204

Can I just say, those Conservative MPs snuggled firmly up Trump's lower colon deserve to get hammered by the voters on 4th July.

(Plus those who voted for Truss.)

Looking forward to Mogg getting humiliated on the morning of the 5th.
  • Options
    Anyone who thinks a conviction finishes off Trump would be overreacting of course. Anyone who thinks it means literally nothing is underreacting.

Either way, if people think it all came down to the testimony of one witness or that there is no real charge behind it, they have not been following the coverage day by day - obviously pro and anti-Trump media has interpreted things very differently, but there was a lot more to go through than just one awful person claimed Trump did X.
  • Options
    Not being funny but that Pakistan keeper, did he lose a bet?
  • Options
    Hannah Ellis selected to succeed Robert Halfon as Conservative candidate for Harlow
    https://www.yourharlow.com/2024/05/30/conservatives-select-hannah-ellis-to-fight-general-election-in-harlow/
  • Options

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I meant Johnson!
    He went way, way beyond disagreeing with the verdict in effectively accusing the court of corruption.

This was a purely political exercise, not a legal one.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111
    Susie Dent has a word for everything

https://x.com/susie_dent/status/1796297253872918654?s=46
  • Options

Basically the voters have given up listening.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,507
    Leon said:

That's one of several reasons why Biden should not be running for re-election.
  • Options

Can I just say, those Conservative MPs snuggled firmly up Trump's lower colon deserve to get hammered by the voters on 4th July.

(Plus those who voted for Truss.)

Looking forward to Mogg getting humiliated on the morning of the 5th.
    He is more likely to squeeze Reform's vote than a Rishi loyalist is though
  • Options

By the looks of him, he certainly much better at holding on to his dinner than a cricket ball.
  • Options
    The Texas Republican Party’s official 2024 platform has endorsed defining abortion as homicide—punishable by the death penalty.

They call for “equal protection of the law” from the moment of fertilization.

https://x.com/SawyerHackett/status/1796193038668030238
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

She won't get it though unless she convinces Trump delegates to switch their support to her in smoke filled rooms at the convention
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,777
    If Trump really is as bad/dangerous as Hitler, then him going to jail would fit the model. Especially if he writes a book...

I think this reduces the chance of a second Trump term but increases the chance of serious unrest. Especially as it has happened just before the summer gets going - rioting in November is a miserable experience.
  • Options

By the looks of him, he certainly much better at holding on to his dinner than a cricket ball.
    What was it they said of a Shane Warne:

'He thinks a balanced diet is a cheeseburger in each hand.'
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,576
    GIN1138 said:

The public have made their minds up. For better or worse they want to change the government and give LAB a go.

Nothing CON do from here will change that inevitability.
    Discussed on an earlier thread. Even if people like the policy, they don't trust the Tory Brain Trust to implement it without dropping a bollock
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,388
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Shameful.

He sells sneakers, bibles with his name on them, bits of his suit from when he was indicted, they are very creative.

The GOP are just in too deep - those who were not on the Trump train knew he had enough support and money to run as an independent and screw them completely, or they could kowtow and hope to be on the winning side at least. Almost of them made the choice.
    It's a while since we have had any quotes from the Scottish Play, but the line about I am in blood, Steeped so far sums it up. Having got on board the Trump Train, and stayed on it after 2020, they can't get off now even if they wanted to. It would invite rage from the Donald, and highlight what dreadful judges of character they are. So they have all been stuck. Serves them right, really.

One of Sunak's problems is that he has never really resolved that question with respect to Boris. Clearly he did knife BoJo over something... but what? And what stopped him doing it earlier?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I meant Johnson!
    He went way, way beyond disagreeing with the verdict in effectively accusing the court of corruption.

He’s not interfering with the case, however, because the case is over. Contempt of court is a quite specific thing, not just disagreeing with a verdict or saying rude things about a verdict.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I meant Johnson!

I think most people in public office would be careful and measured in attacking a judge or judicial process but it is certainly not criminal to do so. He may have a problem the next time that he needs Democratic support to protect him from the loons in his party, however.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Jamarion said:

1. Trump seems fucked.

She won't get it though unless she convinces Trump delegates to switch their support to her in smoke filled rooms at the convention
    It's never going to happen! If they don't select Trump as the candidate they lose loads of voters, which probably hits them down the ballot as well.

They calculated having a potentially convicted felon as the nominee would lose them less votes up and down the ballot, and barely even attempted to consider alternatives.

Hopefully they are wrong, and it costs the GOP in the Senate and House as well, because they need to learn a lesson from this.
This discussion has been closed.