Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Forget the campaign, the curse of Harry Kane could have a bigger impact on th – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630
    Leon said:

WHY do people hate Elon Musk so much? It's quite insane, the level of anger and loathing he generates

I am not a Musk fanboi, I think he is often an awkward twit and is socially inept, and prone to grandiosity and confabulation. But he is also a highly intelligent man with a dash of inventive genius, one of the "great men" of our time. Yet people are so filled with hatred for him they try and argue he is "dim". It is profoundly odd

He's abrasive and invites reaction for fun, it's his personality for the most part.

Dim I very much doubt, but like many powerful people he talks nonsense on things he's ignorant about.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402

Unite not happy with Labour's changes to the New Deal for workers, but unless they act with the £££ they've just been stitched up (again)

The first of many groups.

Well second and third - students and graduates have already been told they're behind the oldies in order of priority.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

https://youtu.be/UDfAdHBtK_Q?t=469
    This does seem to be the Tory tactic. We're rubbish and Labour are no better. Best not to vote at all unless you are over 65!

Is it a winning formula?

It was a genuinely glorious feeling to clear my student loan the other week.

Of course, being the SLC known as the Stupid Loan Company they first got the figure wrong, then gave me the wrong account details and finally told me the wrong payment reference.

But when I had finally worked through all that by patiently referring them to their own website and saw a balance of £0.00 there it was worth it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,648
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

WHY do people hate Elon Musk so much? It's quite insane, the level of anger and loathing he generates

I am not a Musk fanboi, I think he is often an awkward twit and is socially inept, and prone to grandiosity and confabulation. But he is also a highly intelligent man with a dash of inventive genius, one of the "great men" of our time. Yet people are so filled with hatred for him they try and argue he is "dim". It is profoundly odd

He's abrasive and invites reaction for fun, it's his personality for the most part.

Dim I very much doubt, but like many powerful people he talks nonsense on things he's ignorant about.
    I just did a Reddit post on Musk, and I've got dozens of commenters claiming he knows nothing about computers, engineering and software, and is a "dumb kid" who got "lucky with an emerald mine". This is not just one random nutter, there are lots of people with these bizarre views. I find it exasperatingly low-watt, but also interesting as a phenomenon. As I have said before, it is quite similar to the way some people over-reacted to Brexit, it sent them mad. And also Trump (tho with Trump there is greater reason to feel spooked)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,142
    ydoethur said:

Unite not happy with Labour's changes to the New Deal for workers, but unless they act with the £££ they've just been stitched up (again)

Well second and third - students and graduates have already been told they're behind the oldies in order of priority.

This does seem to be the Tory tactic. We're rubbish and Labour are no better. Best not to vote at all unless you are over 65!

Is it a winning formula?

Of course, being the SLC known as the Stupid Loan Company they first got the figure wrong, then gave me the wrong account details and finally told me the wrong payment reference.

But when I had finally worked through all that by patiently referring them to their own website and saw a balance of £0.00 there it was worth it.
    Student loan?

Hereford and Worcester County Council took the hit for me. As I recall as if by magic they paid free beer tokens every term into my bank account.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,176
    Leon said:

Because some people believe his words and actions mark him out as a fascist. That's a perfectly reasonable reason to despise someone, and not in the least bit odd.

The only question is, are they wrong or right about that?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486

Is it a winning formula?

I doubt it.

But I suspect it will give me great personal amusement over the next five years.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    ydoethur said:

Is it a winning formula?

I left 5 years of University with an honours degree and a Diploma and not a penny of debt. Not many pennies in credit either but no debt at all. My generation was spoilt rotten, no doubt about it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,678
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I just did a Reddit post on Musk, and I've got dozens of commenters claiming he knows nothing about computers, engineering and software, and is a "dumb kid" who got "lucky with an emerald mine". This is not just one random nutter, there are lots of people with these bizarre views. I find it exasperatingly low-watt, but also interesting as a phenomenon. As I have said before, it is quite similar to the way some people over-reacted to Brexit, it sent them mad. And also Trump (tho with Trump there is greater reason to feel spooked)
    His actual skill seems to moving systems from TRL 3 to 9, faster than others.

https://esto.nasa.gov/trl/

I think it fair to say that is at least as valuable as primary invention, if not more so.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,439
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

The BBC reports from Sunak's breakfast photo-opportunity in a pub, when asked about his sodden Downing Street speech:
    "no pneumonia yet, my suit on the other hand ... I'm not quite sure what state it will be in when I get back down to London."

Given that his suits are variously stated to cost £2,000-3,000, I wonder how this bit of humour will resonate with people struggling to make ends meet.

This is getting ridiculous now.
    "So unfair!"
    I don't particularly care about fairness and I've never voted Tory.

Try getting out more.
    If you can't see how that joke about ruining a suit costing several thousand pounds is relevant to the perception of our multi-millionaire prime minister being out of touch with ordinary people, in just the same way as dozens of other things he's been mocked for, perhaps you need to get out a bit more?
    Yes but the thing is, even if they know how much Rishi spends on suits, and most won't, they won't care because rich bloke buys posh clobber goes without saying, but the joke about being caught out in the rain is universal. You are getting upset on other people's behalf. On the other hand, Rishi's genuine gaffes include Welsh football, planted astroturfers, and the Titanic.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314
    City v United is like Claude AI v Google
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402

Is it a winning formula?

Probably not.

That doesn't make it untrue, of course.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Because some people believe his words and actions mark him out as a fascist. That's a perfectly reasonable reason to despise someone, and not in the least bit odd.

I don't think he is remotely close to being a fascist, but anyway that is irrelevant to my point. A lot of the anger directed at Musk is eerily personal and visceral, and not connected to his politics. People hate him in some unhinged way, to the extent they will seriously argue he is a moron barely able to fry an egg

In short: he triggers a certain type of person, generally less intelligent people but not always - and I can't yet work out why
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,678
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Is it a winning formula?

I left 5 years of University with an honours degree and a Diploma and not a penny of debt. Not many pennies in credit either but no debt at all. My generation was spoilt rotten, no doubt about it.
    Likewise.

Is there a good overview of the various mechanism, in various countries, for funding 50%+ tertiary education?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,076
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Is it a winning formula?

I graduated in 1982 with no student loan to repay. Income tax was 30%. Your call.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

The BBC reports from Sunak's breakfast photo-opportunity in a pub, when asked about his sodden Downing Street speech:
    "no pneumonia yet, my suit on the other hand ... I'm not quite sure what state it will be in when I get back down to London."

Given that his suits are variously stated to cost £2,000-3,000, I wonder how this bit of humour will resonate with people struggling to make ends meet.

I thought it was a fair enough line.

The poor man can’t do anything right it seems.
    Laughing at himself and still people have to mock? We are a weird country.
    One thing I've noticed from lefties is criticism of Asian minorities when it comes to spending money on clothes and shoes.

How dare we get uppity by refusing to shop at M&S.

Comments like 'more money than sense' or 'did you get dressed in the dark?' are designed to keep us in our place.
    Wait, are you saying M&S is the cheap option?
    There's a world out there I'm not party to.
    Have a look at the price of Canada Goose jackets as an example.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/expedition-parka-heritage-4660M.html
    Fuck me, that's more than I've spent on all the coats I've ever owned, combined.
    That's not even the most expensive Canada Goose jacket on the market, but the most comfortable, like if The North Face and Louis Vuitton created a new hybrid brand.
    Naming an aspirational clothing brand after a pest that honks a lot and shits everywhere seems an... interesting branding choice.
    I have absolutely no idea about these things but I am assured by those that, well know more than me, that the Canada Goose brand has become quite chavy.

Whatever that means.
    They also replaced their USP, actual real feathers.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

I think it fair to say that is at least as valuable as primary invention, if not more so.
    Musk isn't stupid but he often says stupid things.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Starmer of course also has very expensive bespoke suits. Its weird that these politicians don't want to look like Jezza for some reason, rather actually look a serious politician.
  • Options
    oooh!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,936
    Blimey, wasn't expecting United to take the lead.
  • Options

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Indeed, he is indisputably gifted

I believe I've worked out why he makes bad predictions (eg self drive cars next Wednesday). It is because he's rather like me (bear with me) - ie he is good at extrapolating, at seeing where technology could and should go, and what it might then do. But he's such a manic enthusiast he extrapolates too wildly, and shortens timelines in his excitement, and thus makes foolishly over-optimistic assumptions. Plus of course sometimes he is selling his own stock

Nonetheless he is generally right, you just have to double or triple his timelines
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,981

Starmer of course also has very expensive bespoke suits. Its weird that these politicians don't want to look like Jezza for some reason, rather actually look a serious politician.

Expensive or not he really isn't a great suit-wearer. Which is odd.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    geoffw said:

City v United is like Claude AI v Google

Why have Man Utd been caught drinking their own piss to stay hydrated? Rocks rather than orange halves for half time.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why are you posting this rubbish on the posh anoraks thread? What trainers does Elon favour?
  • Options
    If Man City are the Tories and Man U are Labour, was that goal a metaphor?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Musk isn't stupid but he often says stupid things.
    Yes, that's fair. But he admits to his Asperger's, which explains that social incompetence and the sometimes weird, aggravating statements
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Is it a winning formula?

I graduated in 1982 with no student loan to repay. Income tax was 30%. Your call.
    The year (or so) before me, now in their late 80’s spent the first two years after University or other FE in National Service.
    Those who left a little later had the best of it.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Ha!
    Offside but good try
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 627
    edited May 25
    Wow. Edit. Offside.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Musk has made the cardinal sin. Everybody thought he was a progressive as he was on the eco-train, then they have realised that he makes statements in which he is voices more right wing talking points and given back platforms to alt-right types. A lot of online twatterati hate a turncoat far more than the "nazis".

The reaction over this take over twitter are so OTT. I remember the claims that sacking everybody it would total break in no time. Since then every tech company has made big layoffs. Also Telegram has 50 employees and 1 billion users.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 627
    Wow.
  • Options
    Now a real goal. 2-0
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

I don't think he is remotely close to being a fascist, but anyway that is irrelevant to my point. A lot of the anger directed at Musk is eerily personal and visceral, and not connected to his politics. People hate him in some unhinged way, to the extent they will seriously argue he is a moron barely able to fry an egg

In short: he triggers a certain type of person, generally less intelligent people but not always - and I can't yet work out why
    Look, some of the criticism is obviously misdirected, but I'm sure it's for the reasons I'm saying. He's intervening politically in ways that make people angry and afraid, they look at his statements and decide that he really is as terrible as all that.

Leaving aside whether they're right, what happens next? Well, when someone is as contemptible as that, any defence of them is seen as whitewashing the important thing about him: that he's dangerous. Someone can point to an achievement, and they don't feel able to acknowledge that because it risks someone getting the wrong idea that he's not all bad.
    Few people would want to find merit in, say, Hitler's paintings because they're afraid of how such an endorsement seems.

This is, I think, what you already suspect. You mention Trump, and Brexit. But the same phenomenon is visible elsewhere. See also Corbyn, Starmer, Sunak, AI, Scottish independence, Michael Gove, the monarchy, Sinn Fein, whatever. People have decided that THIS person or thing is bad news, and they shut themselves off from anything positive.

Also I don't think you're immune either. I think we are all prone to it. Also, I think you already understand much of this and you like to push buttons, knowing that people will react this way. I think you know much of this already, but you want people to react, so you've wrapped up praise of Musk into a question that presupposes the unreasonableness of hating him. You're asking people to come and play on your home turf. Well, enjoy it if that's what you're doing. It's good sport if you're into it. But don't lose sight of the reality of some of the criticism levelled against Musk. He's not a harmlessly awkward nerd. It's darker than that. How dark, I'm not sure, I don't enjoy spending much time fishing around in that particular drain. So I'll leave it up to others to make a final judgement on his character.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

Wow. Edit. Offside.

That wasn't. What a goal. Mainoo is going to be some player.
  • Options
    England doing quite, not very, well against Pakistan. 149-4 in the 16th over. (Of 20).
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,486
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Is it a winning formula?

Different times had different experiences for different people.

It was better for many who went to university.

It was worse for many who didn't.

Contrarily there's probably never been a better time to be young, northern working class in comparison to being young, southern middle class than what we have now.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,981
    Leon said:

I think he's really great. No caveats on that.
  • Options
    edited May 25

England doing quite, not very, well against Pakistan. 149-4 in the 16th over. (Of 20).

You surely send in Livingstone in with 4 overs to go. Albeit he has been out of form, he js a player that can hit you 6 after 6.
  • Options
    Political historian Geoffrey Wheatcroft explains how the Conservative Party has changed since the days of Thatcher, and how Brexit created an ‘existential crisis’ within the party.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGU6Yr8p0Wc
  • Options

You surely send in Livingstone in with 4 overs to go. Albeit he has been out of form, he js a player that can hit you 6 after 6.
    Yes, it would be boom or bust.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Look, some of the criticism is obviously misdirected, but I'm sure it's for the reasons I'm saying. He's intervening politically in ways that make people angry and afraid, they look at his statements and decide that he really is as terrible as all that.

Leaving aside whether they're right, what happens next? Well, when someone is as contemptible as that, any defence of them is seen as whitewashing the important thing about him: that he's dangerous. Someone can point to an achievement, and they don't feel able to acknowledge that because it risks someone getting the wrong idea that he's not all bad.
    Few people would want to find merit in, say, Hitler's paintings because they're afraid of how such an endorsement seems.

This is, I think, what you already suspect. You mention Trump, and Brexit. But the same phenomenon is visible elsewhere. See also Corbyn, Starmer, Sunak, AI, Scottish independence, Michael Gove, the monarchy, Sinn Fein, whatever. People have decided that THIS person or thing is bad news, and they shut themselves off from anything positive.

Also I don't think you're immune either. I think we are all prone to it. Also, I think you already understand much of this and you like to push buttons, knowing that people will react this way. I think you know much of this already, but you want people to react, so you've wrapped up praise of Musk into a question that presupposes the unreasonableness of hating him. You're asking people to come and play on your home turf. Well, enjoy it if that's what you're doing. It's good sport if you're into it. But don't lose sight of the reality of some of the criticism levelled against Musk. He's not a harmlessly awkward nerd. It's darker than that. How dark, I'm not sure, I don't enjoy spending much time fishing around in that particular drain. So I'll leave it up to others to make a final judgement on his character.
    An articulate and interesting reply, with some good points. Thankyou. I prefer this measured, cerebral version of you. Keep it up!

However I disagree that it is simply the politics that annoys people. Totally apolitical people HATE him, and never mention his rightwing views. There is something else at work as well as the politics
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

An articulate and interesting reply, with some good points. Thankyou. I prefer this measured, cerebral version of you. Keep it up!
    Measured and cerebral doesn't get anywhere near the same amount of attention, though. Don't blame me, blame society.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Is it a winning formula?

Probably not.

That doesn't make it untrue, of course.
    I detect your hostility to the Tories is softening. It's a phenomenon we will see across the nation over the next five and a half weeks.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,200
    rcs1000 said:

Musk's greatest asset is his drive: his willingness to work at an incredibly high rate and to pull everybody around him up to that rate, and get them working harder than they would otherwise work. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs also had that skill.

His greatest liability (right now) is what I call Rowling Disease (and, no, that's nothing to do with trans). Rowling's first books were better because she took the advice of editors. As she became more famous, she no longer took the counsel of others, and her books became long and bloated. The same is true of Musk. At Tesla, there were stand up rows between Musk and the engineers over the Model S and 3. But Musk listened when people said "this won't work". By the time we got to the Cybertruck, Musk was so convinced of his own genius, he refused to listen to anyone who raised issues. Indeed, in the old days people who fought with Musk got rewarded for their passion with promotion. Now they get fired.

This story about the tantrum which led to him firing the entire Supercharger team is quite eye-opening: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/inside-story-elon-musks-mass-firings-tesla-supercharger-staff-2024-05-15/

(And, of course, Tesla are now trying to rehire some of the team back...)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Musk's greatest asset is his drive: his willingness to work at an incredibly high rate and to pull everybody around him up to that rate, and get them working harder than they would otherwise work. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs also had that skill.

His greatest liability (right now) is what I call Rowling Disease (and, no, that's nothing to do with trans). Rowling's first books were better because she took the advice of editors. As she became more famous, she no longer took the counsel of others, and her books became long and bloated. The same is true of Musk. At Tesla, there were stand up rows between Musk and the engineers over the Model S and 3. But Musk listened when people said "this won't work". By the time we got to the Cybertruck, Musk was so convinced of his own genius, he refused to listen to anyone who raised issues. Indeed, in the old days people who fought with Musk got rewarded for their passion with promotion. Now they get fired.

That's quite perceptive. However Musk is still really successful at most of what he does. Remember when everyone scoffed when he sacked 90% of TwitterX staff? The common view was that it would collapse within hours. It did not

Has TwitterX got worse? Probably (though if you use it cleverly it's as good as ever) - but ALL social media is in trouble as they are swarmed with bots, it is not just a Musk/TwiX problem
  • Options
    England losing their way; 170-7 in the last over
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986
    CatMan said:

If Man City are the Tories and Man U are Labour, was that goal a metaphor?

There was a run of if the FA Cup holders wore blue or white then the Tories would win and if it was red or yellow it would be Labour, if both it would be hung. But just like the Washington last home game result pattern for US presidential elections it broke down in the 2000s.

1950 - Wolves/Labour
    1951 - Newcastle/Conservative
    1955 - Newcastle/Conservative
    1959 - Nottingham Forest/Conservative [Wrong]
    1964 - West Ham/Labour [if you consider claret to be the main colour]
    1966 - Liverpool/Labour
    1970 - Chelsea/Conservative
    1974(F) - Sunderland/Hung
    1974(O) - Liverpool/Labour
    1979 - Ipswich/Conservative
    1983 - Manchester United/Conservative [Wrong]
    1987 - Coventry/Conservative
    1992 - Tottenham Hotspur/Conservative
    1997 - Manchester United/Labour
    2001 - Liverpool/Labour [It wasn't Foot and Mouth that delayed the election, it was Chelsea winning the FA Cup in 2000]
    2005 - Manchester United/Labour
    2010 - Chelsea/Hung [Wrong]
    2015 - Arsenal/Conservative [Wrong]
    2017 - Arsenal/Hung [Wrong]
    2019 - Manchester City/Conservative
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185

viewcode said:

Chris said:

I thought it was a fair enough line.

The poor man can’t do anything right it seems.
    Laughing at himself and still people have to mock? We are a weird country.
    One thing I've noticed from lefties is criticism of Asian minorities when it comes to spending money on clothes and shoes.

How dare we get uppity by refusing to shop at M&S.

Comments like 'more money than sense' or 'did you get dressed in the dark?' are designed to keep us in our place.
    As a rule I have three or four coats: one for funerals, one for winter (heavy and warm), one for summer (light and hoodless), another for inbetween days. My summer coat has died so I am going into town to buy a new one. It will be from either Next or M&S and cost less than £100. It may be a gilet if I can find one with four pockets. What I really need is a civilian version of this since I carry lots of stuff routinely but it would look silly. So it's going to have to be something utilitarian with lots of pockets but something that doesn't make you look like a nutter.
    all my coats are second hand.
    Same here, with a few exceptions purchased over 20 years ago.

My best coats came from Goodwill and other thrift stores.

Trick is to show up just AFTER some not-so-poor guy has cashed his chips . . .
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986

Musk has made the cardinal sin. Everybody thought he was a progressive as he was on the eco-train, then they have realised that he makes statements in which he is voices more right wing talking points and given back platforms to alt-right types. A lot of online twatterati hate a turncoat far more than the "nazis".

The reaction over this take over twitter are so OTT. I remember the claims that sacking everybody it would total break in no time. Since then every tech company has made big layoffs. Also Telegram has 50 employees and 1 billion users.

I liked Elon until he called that cave rescue guy the P word, when you have a big voice then you should be careful before using that power to harm others.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,185
    DavidL said:

I fully appreciate that this is a large and competitive field but the instructions I got with my "cordless weed eater" I bought from Amazon are a truly spectacular effort as the worst I have ever seen.

They have 4 pictures of how you might do something wrong and none, that is zero, about how you might put it together correctly. They also have this magnificent sentence:
    "According to the 4 stuck points on the machine head, place the protective cover at 45 degrees according to the stitching lines on the left and right of the machine shells of the machine head."

No pictures, no diagram showing what the "machine head" might be, no clarity as to what a "stitching line" might be, or a "machine shell" or 45 degrees from what. A truly brilliant effort. It is almost worth buying this piece of metal to get the opportunity to admire such artistry.

On the plus side United are not behind yet.

Perhaps you should head for Dominican Republic to see IF BJxPMxMP might have a slightly used one, used only for giving his mop a light trim?
  • Options
    Not sure 183 is a particularly winning score in the IPL. English conditions, above par?
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,947
    Looks like the team in red is going to win.
    And the FA Cup.
  • Options

This thread has crashed into the side of the wall

• Options

Is it a winning formula?

I doubt it.

But I suspect it will give me great personal amusement over the next five years.
    Let's hope whoever wins they can draw us out of the death-spiral, doom-loop we have existed in over the last eight years.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,753
    edited May 25
    viewcode said:

Thank you all for the responses. Millets/North Face look good, and - surprisingly - TK Maxx looked even better. And yes, I'm not snobbish about charity shops either. But due to a certain amount of time-criticality it will be either M&S or Next. Will let you know how it goes.

https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/alder-mens-gilet-p8693.aspx/

Under £8 in the sale. Machine washable. It's awful but it's very utilitarian. Just two pockets but I can sew the internal flaps to build a paperback sized pocket. I have shopped efficiently!
This discussion has been closed.