Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Forget the campaign, the curse of Harry Kane could have a bigger impact on th – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,450

Chris said:

The BBC reports from Sunak's breakfast photo-opportunity in a pub, when asked about his sodden Downing Street speech:
    "no pneumonia yet, my suit on the other hand ... I'm not quite sure what state it will be in when I get back down to London."

Given that his suits are variously stated to cost £2,000-3,000, I wonder how this bit of humour will resonate with people struggling to make ends meet.

This is getting ridiculous now.
    "So unfair!"
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,981

dixiedean said:

No odds for Islington North yet?

Jezza short odds on imo
    he is 1/2 with ladbrokes to win a seat (under specials)
    I wonder what it is that tips the scales if you vote Corbyn rather than Labour? Islington North is really quite a ghastly place under the Corbyn watch - it used to have a really quite vibrant feel - not so now though - the Corbyn effect in my view.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,630
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

The BBC reports from Sunak's breakfast photo-opportunity in a pub, when asked about his sodden Downing Street speech:
    "no pneumonia yet, my suit on the other hand ... I'm not quite sure what state it will be in when I get back down to London."

Given that his suits are variously stated to cost £2,000-3,000, I wonder how this bit of humour will resonate with people struggling to make ends meet.

I thought it was a fair enough line.

The poor man can’t do anything right it seems.
    Laughing at himself and still people have to mock? We are a weird country.
    One thing I've noticed from lefties is criticism of Asian minorities when it comes to spending money on clothes and shoes.

How dare we get uppity by refusing to shop at M&S.

Comments like 'more money than sense' or 'did you get dressed in the dark?' are designed to keep us in our place.
    Wait, are you saying M&S is the cheap option?
    There's a world out there I'm not party to.
    Have a look at the price of Canada Goose jackets as an example.

https://www.canadagoose.com/uk/en/expedition-parka-heritage-4660M.html
    Fuck me, that's more than I've spent on all the coats I've ever owned, combined.
    I recently spent £70 on a top - apart from some suits, it was the most expensive clothing item I've ever purchased.

Not because I'm inherently frugal, I put it down to growing up in hand me downs. I don't think I ever had a piece of clothing which hadn't been owned by at least one older sibling first, so buying clothes for myself feels weird.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,936
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

One thing I've noticed from lefties is criticism of Asian minorities when it comes to spending money on clothes and shoes.

Comments like 'more money than sense' or 'did you get dressed in the dark?' are designed to keep us in our place.

Fuck me, that's more than I've spent on all the coats I've ever owned, combined.
    That's not even the most expensive Canada Goose jacket on the market, but the most comfortable, like if The North Face and Louis Vuitton created a new hybrid brand.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,753

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

mickydroy said:

EXCLUSIVE: Labour has re-branded its flagship package of workers rights and employment reforms.

The New Deal will now be known as Labour's Plan To Make Work Pay

Starmer wants to sharpen core message of putting money in people's pockets and reassure business

https://x.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1794299971878912269

Can Rishi sue for breach of copyright? Only Rishi has a plan. "Starmer has no plan, Labour will take you back to square one".
    He should give them the benefit of his experience:

"I’ll tell you what happens with plans. You start with far-fetched goals. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the months sticking to that - outdated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs - and you end up in the grotesque chaos of standing in the pouring rain in Downing Street, calling an election that you cannot win."
    Still think Kinnock was better than he is portrayed, was treated appallingly by the right wing media, all he ever seems to be remembered is for falling in the water, done a lot of the hard yards for Blair, imo
    Kinnock, Major, Hague, Brown, Miliband were all unfairly maligned. The people like Big_G having fits about how unfairly Sunak has been portrayed over the past few days are mostly of the type who didn't give a fuck when it was only happening to Labour leaders over the past 20 years, which is why I'm pretty short on sympathy with them. They are, strictly speaking, correct, of course: Sunak is getting it in the neck for non-mistakes. But if you only whine when it's affecting your team, you can stuff it.
    I have just read that and I am not having a fit and saying it is unfair, but suggesting some of it is unnecessary and adds to the general view that being in politics is not something many would aspire to in this environment
    "This" environment has been around for many years. Nothing has changed, only the direction of the can't-do-right criticism.
    You just haven't noticed because you're a partisan for one of the two sides.
    My complaint is that a lot of it has been ridiculous - see the alleged football ‘gaffe’. You may feel that Tory voters on PB have been doing this to Labour politicians but can you give me an example of anything so rubbish?
    Can you imaging how mind numbingly wearying it was to read about Bliar in posts from those with the kind of eleven year old mentality that finds that sort of thing hilarious? First time, maybe....but some were clinging to the witless misspelling long after he had retired.

We all have to put up with that kind of childishness in all walks of life. Fact is some people never grow up. It's best ignored, though it can be difficult sometimes.
    "ZaNuLabour" was another one the witless enjoyed sharing on here.
    EUSSR. Oh, how we laughed.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,168
    Chris said:

Chris said:

"So unfair!"
    I don't particularly care about fairness and I've never voted Tory.

Try getting out more.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,154

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

That's not even the most expensive Canada Goose jacket on the market, but the most comfortable, like if The North Face and Louis Vuitton created a new hybrid brand.
    Naming an aspirational clothing brand after a pest that honks a lot and shits everywhere seems an... interesting branding choice.
  • Options
    One thing Guido did last election which I thought was rather good was a daily summary which in brief terms captured key talking points, polls, cutthroughs etc. For all he is very partisan, I recall them being played relatively straight, including mentioning days when really nothing cut through at all.

TORIES
    Sunak in Northern Ireland (followed by Birmingham) visits Titanic Quarter in Belfast, asked if he is a “sinking ship“.
    Energy bills are down, Labour would hike them.
    Topline(s):
    Starmer doesn’t have the guts to debate, how can he stand up to Putin.

LABOUR
    Launches Scottish campaign.
    There will be no new unannounced tax rises under a Labour government.
    Starmer will debate Sunak, but only twice.
    Topline(s):
    Labour needs Scotland to win.

LIBDEM
    Health focus: “legislate for 24-hour GP appointment rights”
    Topline(s):
    LibDems will hire 8,000 extra GPs

REFORM
    Running clips from launch rally yesterday with immigration focus.
    Topline(s):
    Tories’ Rwanda farce will not stop the boats.

Cutting through:

Tory exodus: same number standing down as 1997.

Latest polls:

YouGov: CON: 21 (+1) LAB: 46 (-1) LDEM: 9 (=) REF: 12 (+1) GRN: 7 (-1)

https://order-order.com/2024/05/24/42-days-to-go-debating-debates/
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,176

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Right, well, when I'm feeling flush I might go to M&S. If not, it's Primark.
    I hope these clothes are worth the price tag, but I have a feeling the Vimes effect cuts off above a certain threshold and that CG coat is way above that. It must be.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

Shoes you say? Any examples of the type of shoes that get criticised or is this a hypothetical case?
    Real life examples sadly.

Some PBers mentioned I wore ruby red trainers to a PB meet.

My colleagues will tell you about my Salvatore Ferragamo loafers which in the first few weeks of breaking in made farting sounds on the marble floors of the office.

They were described as £1,000 whoopee cushions for my feet.

There are countless other examples.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Naming an aspirational clothing brand after a pest that honks a lot and shits everywhere seems an... interesting branding choice.
    I have absolutely no idea about these things but I am assured by those that, well know more than me, that the Canada Goose brand has become quite chavy.

Whatever that means.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,679

Redditch said:

Farooq said:

Redditch said:

Farooq said:

mickydroy said:

EXCLUSIVE: Labour has re-branded its flagship package of workers rights and employment reforms.

Starmer wants to sharpen core message of putting money in people's pockets and reassure business

Can Rishi sue for breach of copyright? Only Rishi has a plan. "Starmer has no plan, Labour will take you back to square one".

"I’ll tell you what happens with plans. You start with far-fetched goals. They are then pickled into a rigid dogma, a code, and you go through the months sticking to that - outdated, misplaced, irrelevant to the real needs - and you end up in the grotesque chaos of standing in the pouring rain in Downing Street, calling an election that you cannot win."
    Still think Kinnock was better than he is portrayed, was treated appallingly by the right wing media, all he ever seems to be remembered is for falling in the water, done a lot of the hard yards for Blair, imo
    Kinnock, Major, Hague, Brown, Miliband were all unfairly maligned. The people like Big_G having fits about how unfairly Sunak has been portrayed over the past few days are mostly of the type who didn't give a fuck when it was only happening to Labour leaders over the past 20 years, which is why I'm pretty short on sympathy with them. They are, strictly speaking, correct, of course: Sunak is getting it in the neck for non-mistakes. But if you only whine when it's affecting your team, you can stuff it.
    Again its the old uk class system. None of those went to private school and were all with the possible exception of miliband from fairly modest backgrounds. The problem is these guys didnt have old public school pals in positions of power to cover for them.
    Jesus, I hadn't noticed the pattern. I just reeled them off. That's... eye-opening.
    The same hammering happened to Cameron. What was interesting was how he dealt with it - the chameleon (“my children rather like it”) or the Quattro thing.

Major was hammered at - and largely it failed to damage him. He was way more popular than his party, end to end.

Hague wasn’t much good outside of PMs questions in HoC.
    Not really. I recall the media quickly shutting down criticism of Cameron especially on the class thing. He certainly didnt get a relentless hammering which is interesting given how mediocre he was.
    Perhaps because Cameron had "gravitas" (rightly or wrongly ) - People like this tend to not get ridiculed
    More that, a bit like Major, he ignored it. Or mocked the mockery (in Cameron’s case).

I recall, when he became opposition leader, that there was some upset from the Guardian et al that the usual attacks on Tory leaders wasn’t working.

The secret is, I think, for the person in question to be confident in themselves. Cameron was 100% fine with being Cameron, in a public role. Major was 100% fine with being John Major.

Kinnock seemed about 70% enthused with being Kinnock. Brown seemed really unhappy. Miliband seemed like an early version of Sunak.

Starmer seems to be about 95% on that scale.
  • Options

Chris said:

I'm glad you've noticed. I have been trying to point this out for some time.

The left only like racial minorities when they behave like a proletariat.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282

dixiedean said:

Jezza short odds on imo
    Can only see 2 markets he is 1/2 or 8/13 the latter was before the selection of a Lab Candidate
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

"So unfair!"
    I don't particularly care about fairness and I've never voted Tory.

Try getting out more.
    If you can't see how that joke about ruining a suit costing several thousand pounds is relevant to the perception of our multi-millionaire prime minister being out of touch with ordinary people, in just the same way as dozens of other things he's been mocked for, perhaps you need to get out a bit more?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,402
    By the way, more trouble at Thames Water.

If it hasn't been posted yet, this is an interesting article by an Australian (left wing) on Macquarie's role in the disaster.

https://michaelwest.com.au/macquarie-bank-privatisation-and-the-collapse-of-thames-water/
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

It did lead to an interesting discussion a few years ago which I started which asked

'What is the plural of Canada Goose jackets? Is it 2 Canada Goose jackets or Canada Geese jackets?'
  • Options

Chris said:

If in doubt, toss out an accusation of racism ...
  • Options

Chris said:

I've known for years, remember Corbyn's only Labour can unlock the potential of ethnic minorities?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chris said:

Shoes you say? Any examples of the type of shoes that get criticised or is this a hypothetical case?
    Real life examples sadly.

Some PBers mentioned I wore ruby red trainers to a PB meet.

My colleagues will tell you about my Salvatore Ferragamo loafers which in the first few weeks of breaking in made farting sounds on the marble floors of the office.

You can tentatively add me to that list, since I referred to you as "our resident shoe-fancier". Although I'm not quite sure that's vicious enough and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you endorsed that description.

It would be cool to get labelled a racist twice in 24 hours though, so I'm game if you think it's merited.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

I remember you accused Tory members of racism because they wanted Sunak out and went all silent when I pointed those same members wanted Badenoch, Patel, or Braverman to replace him.
  • Options

Chris said:

As a rule I have three or four coats: one for funerals, one for winter (heavy and warm), one for summer (light and hoodless), another for inbetween days. My summer coat has died so I am going into town to buy a new one. It will be from either Next or M&S and cost less than £100. It may be a gilet if I can find one with four pockets. What I really need is a civilian version of this since I carry lots of stuff routinely but it would look silly. So it's going to have to be something utilitarian with lots of pockets but something that doesn't make you look like a nutter.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chris said:

TBF that does sound like material for Jennifer Saunders. Did they really cost £1000?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chris said:

TBF that does sound like material for Jennifer Saunders. Did they really cost £1000?
    No, they cost £995 reduced from £1,295.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

As a rule I have three or four coats: one for funerals, one for winter (heavy and warm), one for summer (light and hoodless), another for inbetween days. My summer coat has died so I am going into town to buy a new one. It will be from either Next or M&S and cost less than £100. It may be a gilet if I can find one with four pockets. What I really need is a civilian version of this since I carry lots of stuff routinely but it would look silly. So it's going to have to be something utilitarian with lots of pockets but something that doesn't make you look like a nutter.
    Get yourself to The North Face.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,822

Sunak's team seem to have decided to copy the Ed Miliband approach of "actually he's one of the lads". If Sunak was just allowed to be the slightly nerdy, geeky, tech bro he is, nobody would mind.

I can totally buy him doing Park Run, so why not have him at one of those events? Or have him go to a cricket match or something.

What would we do for our campaign to be PM?

Spend the days on PB?

Play Fallout New Vegas again, promising that this time you'll play with the Legion and kill Craig Boone, only to join the NCR afterall?

Don't know how well either of those would play with the electorate.......
  • Options

kle4 said:

Chris said:

No, they cost £995 reduced from £1,295.
    I would say you have an eye for a bargain. But...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

all my coats are second hand.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,134

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Or Barbour. That's my funeral jacket for the rain - and lots of pockets - else it's one of a set of variably tatty anorak waterproofs from Tisos.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Well, if you inist on wearing nutria all the time ...
  • Options
    I just know if I spent a grand on some shoes or piece of clothing, I'd spill curry or mustard or red wine on it within seconds
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,277
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

Try TK Maxx. You never know what you might find.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

I have absolutely no idea about these things but I am assured by those that, well know more than me, that the Canada Goose brand has become quite chavy.

Whatever that means.
    I've just been called a chav, I am logging off for the day.

The next few threads will see that Nigel Farage photo deployed.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

I just know if I spent a grand on some shoes or piece of clothing, I'd spill curry or mustard or red wine on it within seconds

I've bought three suits and two pairs of trainers since 2019.

That's it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,785
    "Reform will make Britain 'great again' - Tice"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-69059992
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Or Barbour. That's my funeral jacket for the rain - and lots of pockets - else it's one of a set of variably tatty anorak waterproofs from Tisos.
    What The North Face have in their favour some of their coats are 3-in-1 or 2-in-1 jackets, so you can use it all year round.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Oddly I just looked! The Exhale Gilet appeals, but - sigh - only two pockets.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Is he signalling his desire to be locked up?
  • Options
    I fully appreciate that this is a large and competitive field but the instructions I got with my "cordless weed eater" I bought from Amazon are a truly spectacular effort as the worst I have ever seen.

They have 4 pictures of how you might do something wrong and none, that is zero, about how you might put it together correctly. They also have this magnificent sentence:
    "According to the 4 stuck points on the machine head, place the protective cover at 45 degrees according to the stitching lines on the left and right of the machine shells of the machine head."

No pictures, no diagram showing what the "machine head" might be, no clarity as to what a "stitching line" might be, or a "machine shell" or 45 degrees from what. A truly brilliant effort. It is almost worth buying this piece of metal to get the opportunity to admire such artistry.

On the plus side United are not behind yet.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422

viewcode said:

Chris said:

About 30 years ago I spent £70 or £80 on a Rohan fleece. I’ve still got it, and it’s fine for occasions, which aren’t THAT formal.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,977
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    Can it, Doc, unless you want the Four Yorkshiremen showing up again. :(
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

if you want a fur coat I can arrange it for you. My daughter in laws place is plagued with coypu.

• Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

I remember you accused Tory members of racism because they wanted Sunak out and went all silent when I pointed those same members wanted Badenoch, Patel, or Braverman to replace him.
    Oh, please!

I pointed out the fact that the anti-immigrant right were not likely to favour Sunak, for reasons that should be blindingly obvious.

Your comment about other right-wing Tories also being the children of immigrants.is absolutely irrelevant to that obvious observation.

It's crazy enough that you should want to absolve the far right of racist feelings. Now you seem to want to accuse others of racism, just for criticising Sunak. Despite the fact you've criticised him so much yourself. Oh well - par for the course in Internet discourse, I suppose ...

• Options

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    Course, when I were lad it were just TWO Yorkshiremen.
  • Options
    edited May 25
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Oh, please!

I pointed out the fact that the anti-immigrant right were not likely to favour Sunak, for reasons that should be blindingly obvious.

Your comment about other right-wing Tories also being the children of immigrants.is absolutely irrelevant to that obvious observation.

It's crazy enough that you should want to absolve the far right of racist feelings. Now you seem to want to accuse others of racism, just for criticising Sunak. Despite the fact you've criticised him so much yourself. Oh well - par for the course in Internet discourse, I suppose ...

Oh fuck off.

I love it when people like you lecture me about racism.

I know you are incredibly dumb but I am not one of Sunak's fans, I am pointing out the ludicrosity of some of the attacks on Sunak.

They will be as effective as comparing David Cameron to Gene Hunt.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    As a bona fide Yorkshireman this another subject I am eminently qualified to discuss.
  • Options

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    As a bona fide Yorkshireman this another subject I am eminently qualified to discuss.
    I simply do not want to know how much your flat cap cost you. I am suffering deeply from sartorial inadequacy and don't think I can take another round of it.

Was is more than £25?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,760

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

mickydroy said:

I have just read that and I am not having a fit and saying it is unfair, but suggesting some of it is unnecessary and adds to the general view that being in politics is not something many would aspire to in this environment
    "This" environment has been around for many years. Nothing has changed, only the direction of the can't-do-right criticism.
    My complaint is that a lot of it has been ridiculous - see the alleged football ‘gaffe’. You may feel that Tory voters on PB have been doing this to Labour politicians but can you give me an example of anything so rubbish?
    Can you imaging how mind numbingly wearying it was to read about Bliar in posts from those with the kind of eleven year old mentality that finds that sort of thing hilarious? First time, maybe....but some were clinging to the witless misspelling long after he had retired.

We all have to put up with that kind of childishness in all walks of life. Fact is some people never grow up. It's best ignored, though it can be difficult sometimes.
    Useless still a lot of chortlesome mileage left it appears despite him having left the stage.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Oh, please!

Oh fuck off.

I love it when people like you lecture me about racism.

I know you are incredibly dumb but I am not one of Sunak's fans, I am pointing out the ludicrosity of some of the attacks on Sunak.

They will be as effective as comparing David Cameron to Gene Hunt.
    Fire up the quattro.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    I simply do not want to know how much your flat cap cost you. I am suffering deeply from sartorial inadequacy and don't think I can take another round of it.

Was is more than £25?
    I don't own a flat cap, never have.

I have a Panama hat though.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,299

dixiedean said:

Jezza short odds on imo
    Can only see 2 markets he is 1/2 or 8/13 the latter was before the selection of a Lab Candidate
    I'd like him to win not because I rate him but it would be good to have at least a few independent left wing voices but I heard a pollster explain why it's most unlikely he will. So at those odds time to make a killing...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,785
    edited May 25
    If it was possible to bet on Starmer getting fewer votes than Corbyn, I'd definitely be interested. Someone mentioned it a few days ago on here IIRC.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,924
    Archer's back! (Jofra, not Jeffrey)
  • Options
    edited May 25

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

if you want a fur coat I can arrange it for you. My daughter in laws place is plagued with coypu.

Tempting, given they are introduced pests, but the hassle on the streets would be too much ...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If it was possible to bet on Starmer getting fewer votes than Corbyn, I'd definitely be interested. Someone mentioned it a few days ago on here IIRC.

You can, read here:
    https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/05/23/the-last-laugh-might-corbyn-outpoll-starmer/
  • Options
    edited May 25

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    Actually, I will shut up, because I've thought about it and realised I'm wrong.

I also bought a new pair of sandals three years ago.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,990
    Andy_JS said:

Missed out on "make Great Britain great again"
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 723
    When I was last in the market for trainers, I asked my brother for recommendations, as we're both hefty lads (16 stone plus) and he has vastly more experience. At which point I learned that in running circles, we big guys are officially known as Clydesdales, which designation I am proud to have.
    And if you're a Clydesdale too, then New Balance 1080s are absolutely brilliant - but always buy last season's - £80 not £160.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Tempting, given they are introduced pests, but the hassle on the streets would be too much ...
    If you want something a bit earthier she can also do wild boar.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    A good, or even a reasonable, flat cap will last for years and years. Provided you don’t use it to clean t’ whippet
  • Options
    edited May 25
    So there's an England - Pakistan T20, the Fa Cup Final, and Monaco F1 qualifying all on at the same time. Going to be a bit tricky to watch them all.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Is he injured yet?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

Either way the acronym is not easy to pronounce.

Maybe go for MUKGA instead.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

CatMan said:

Is he injured yet?
    Hah! Pakistan put England in, so not yet, but given his luck he'll probably get hit on the hand while batting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,142

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Try TK Maxx. You never know what you might find.
    Does anyone buy their Kappa shell suits from anywhere else?
  • Options

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    A good, or even a reasonable, flat cap will last for years and years.
    Because so few occasions to wear one?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

So there's an England - Pakistan T20, the Fa Cup Final, and Monaco F1 qualifying all on at the same time. Going to be a bit tricky to watch them all.

I've had to borrow a few iPads from other people in the house to watch all these.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,929
    For interest. You can get a 1 bed shared ownership flat in London with an minimum household income of £32k, a deposit of £3.5k. Monthly costs are £700 (service charge/rent), mortgage = £1050.

ie: https://lqhomes.com/barkingriverside/properties/plot-89-the-waylen-collett-mansions/
  • Options
    Part of me still finds it very difficult to see Mohammed Amir bowling in international matches.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

Either way the acronym is not easy to pronounce.

Maybe go for MUKGA instead.
    Doesn’t he play for Pakistan?
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.

Was is more than £25?
    I don't own a flat cap, never have.

I have a Panama hat though.
    A Yorkshireman bar t'at? Does a Panama hat lend itself as well as a flat cap for ferret transportation?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,990

viewcode said:

Chris said:

It's right next to the Jungfrau (Engl.: Virgin)
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,411
    eristdoof said:

Andy_JS said:

Once, Tice, Three times a loser this time isn't it Richard?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    A good, or even a reasonable, flat cap will last for years and years.
    Because so few occasions to wear one?
    I inherited one from my father but the only person to wear it since has been the odd snowman.

• Options
    Big_IanBig_Ian Posts: 63

The Conservative Party appears to be undergoing what SpaceX call a RUD - Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

— Brian Cox (@ProfBrianCox) May 25, 2024
  • Options
    ianian Posts: 17
    Surely ferrets are transorted in the trousers
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    Are you after the Tennant Dr Who look?
  • Options

CatMan said:

I've had to borrow a few iPads from other people in the house to watch all these.
    I'm going to switch over once its 3-0.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,753
    As a Woke millennial, I only wear buckskin and mink.
  • Options

Part of me still finds it very difficult to see Mohammed Amir bowling in international matches.

Gravely deceived and misled as a lad. Over-punished, IMHO, and now he’s served his time.
    I think he deserves credit.
  • Options
    Big_Ian said:

The Conservative Party appears to be undergoing what SpaceX call a RUD - Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly.

— Brian Cox (@ProfBrianCox) May 25, 2024
    Things can only get better.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the responses. Millets/North Face look good, and - surprisingly - TK Maxx looked even better. And yes, I'm not snobbish about charity shops either. But due to a certain amount of time-criticality it will be either M&S or Next. Will let you know how it goes.
  • Options

Gravely deceived and misled as a lad. Over-punished, IMHO, and now he’s served his time.
    I agree.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,375
    darkage said:

For interest. You can get a 1 bed shared ownership flat in London with an minimum household income of £32k, a deposit of £3.5k. Monthly costs are £700 (service charge/rent), mortgage = £1050.

ie: https://lqhomes.com/barkingriverside/properties/plot-89-the-waylen-collett-mansions/

The fun fact about those places, though, is even though you only own a tiny (in the linked case, 25% share), you are liable for 100% of the upkeep costs of the property.

That reflects in the service charge (you're paying 100% of the regular maintenence costs for the flat) but also for bigger costs. So if you get a major section 20 bill in for, say, a new roof or new windows totalling 20k, you're on the hook for the full 20k rather than the 5k, which should be your "share".

Then you have the issue of spiralling service charges here's an example of someone's annual service charge rising from £4k a year to £16k - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c884m42lvk8o

• Options
    That was a good catch.
  • Options

I agree.
    Viciously abused at Scarborough when playing for Essex a few years ago. Fortunately Essex won in two days. (IIRC).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    Farooq said:

ydoethur said:

Farooq said:

That's it.
    You were lucky
  • Options

I agree.
    On a personal level its not hard to have sympathy. But people do need to understand that the consequences of such behaviour are grave indeed so that they are not tempted.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,760
    DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Whatever that means.
    They were chavvy 10 seconds after a Stone Island badged football fan spotted them in a shop window.
  • Options

Also worth pointing out

A: he admitted it;

B: he was actually entrapped into it by a notorious criminal working for an equally dodgy organisation so there is a very valid question as to whether he should have been punished.

My view is 'yes' because he *thought* he was committing a crime. But if that pig Mazher Mahmood wasn't in the dock too a fine should have met the case.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,679
    kyf_100 said:

darkage said:

The fun fact about those places, though, is even though you only own a tiny (in the linked case, 25% share), you are liable for 100% of the upkeep costs of the property.

That reflects in the service charge (you're paying 100% of the regular maintenence costs for the flat) but also for bigger costs. So if you get a major section 20 bill in for, say, a new roof or new windows totalling 20k, you're on the hook for the full 20k rather than the 5k, which should be your "share".

Then you have the issue of spiralling service charges here's an example of someone's annual service charge rising from £4k a year to £16k - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c884m42lvk8o

Yes. Some of this stuff is pretty much a con.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,648
    WHY do people hate Elon Musk so much? It's quite insane, the level of anger and loathing he generates

I am not a Musk fanboi, I think he is often an awkward twit and is socially inept, and prone to grandiosity and confabulation. But he is also a highly intelligent man with a dash of inventive genius, one of the "great men" of our time. Yet people are so filled with hatred for him they try and argue he is "dim". It is profoundly odd
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I agree.
    On a personal level its not hard to have sympathy. But people do need to understand that the consequences of such behaviour are grave indeed so that they are not tempted.
    I don’t disagree, in general. But, AIUI, a 17 year old Amir was advised to consider a particular player as mentor, and said player was not by any stretch of the imagination suitable for role.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Chris said:

Whatever that means.
    They were chavvy 10 seconds after a Stone Island badged football fan spotted them in a shop window.
    I'll have to take your word for that Divvie.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I agree.
    Agreed.

So why was Mahmood not given 20 years for bribing somebody to throw a cricket match so he could make money from them?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314

DavidL said:

I fully appreciate that this is a large and competitive field but the instructions I got with my "cordless weed eater" I bought from Amazon are a truly spectacular effort as the worst I have ever seen.

They have 4 pictures of how you might do something wrong and none, that is zero, about how you might put it together correctly. They also have this magnificent sentence:
    "According to the 4 stuck points on the machine head, place the protective cover at 45 degrees according to the stitching lines on the left and right of the machine shells of the machine head."

No pictures, no diagram showing what the "machine head" might be, no clarity as to what a "stitching line" might be, or a "machine shell" or 45 degrees from what. A truly brilliant effort. It is almost worth buying this piece of metal to get the opportunity to admire such artistry.

On the plus side United are not behind yet.

The Manchesters are on BBC Scotland and the Old Firm is on BBC1
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,669
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

Is he signalling his desire to be locked up?
    Just signalling that he is a complete and utter Trumpian tw@.

And that's been cleaned up.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,669
    viewcode said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

mickydroy said:

EUSSR. Oh, how we laughed.
    Until we Brexited.

When there was a sense of humour failure....
  • Options

Unite not happy with Labour's changes to the New Deal for workers, but unless they act with the £££ they've just been stitched up (again)

The first of many groups.

Well second and third - students and graduates have already been told they're behind the oldies in order of priority.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

https://youtu.be/UDfAdHBtK_Q?t=469
    This does seem to be the Tory tactic. We're rubbish and Labour are no better. Best not to vote at all unless you are over 65!

Is it a winning formula?

This discussion has been closed.