Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

For bar chart aficionados – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited April 28 in General
imageFor bar chart aficionados – politicalbetting.com

Outrageous leaflet barchartmaxxing for @MSmithsonPB and @TSEofPB to enjoy

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    First, like Arsenal.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    Second like Liverpool, one point back but with a game in hand.

Who’s up for the Grand Prix?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Sandpit said:

Second like Liverpool, one point back but with a game in hand.

Who’s up for the Grand Prix?

I'm up, but most certainly not for the grand prix. It's very sad what's happened to F1 - I'm amazed people are still tuning in.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,303
    edited April 7

Andy_JS said:
    I would imagine without applied swingback this poll, using Opinium's earlier methodology would align with the others and be over 20%. I do agree with you that back in the real world the Cons are way closer to Labour than any poll suggests.
    What do you base that on? The six-person canvass we had this morning in an area where we didn't even have council candidates last year produced a haul of Lab 19 Con 9 LD 7 DK 22 Won't vote 4. Even if we assume half the don't knows were shy Tories (and some were merely "don't know between LD and Lab"), we didn't detect any reviving Tory enthusiasm at all.
    Yes Nick, I've been doing plenty of doorknocking too and the collapse in the Tory vote is absolutely palpable in a way that I've never seen for a general election, with absolutely no sign of letting up over the past week or two.

PS. Goodnight with that pleasant thought.
    Ties in with what I hear too. I’ve never known anything like it.

Meanwhile, in "the only change is that another 14 pages have fluttered off the calendar" news,

🚨 New polling with @ObserverUK

No change as Labour’s lead stays at 16 points
    • Labour 41% (n/c)
    • Conservatives 25% (n/c)
    • Lib Dems 10% (n/c)
    • SNP 3% (n/c)
    • Greens 8% (n/c)
    • Reform 11% (n/c)

https://twitter.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1776686339729080330

Yeah but @heathener says the last 5 polls are over 20% lead and therefore this proves something or other.

I say wait for more in common, Opinium, Survation and Deltapoll.
    This is Opinium. Swingback has been taken into account and you know this.

That is not to say this isn't the more accurate study, but dismissing the others because they don't give you the result you want is silly.

For what it's worth I don't believe the Tories are below 30 and Labour are much above 40. This will be borne out in the locals.
    @heathener said the previous 5 were a trend even though 2 were from same pollster.

I merely pointed out some of the pollsters which give smaller Labour leads ie the 4 I have just listed hadn't reported last week due to easter so wait for theirs to see if there is a trend.

He pooh pooed that and insisted there was a trend
    Average Labour lead of the last 6 polls, including that Opinium, is 20.2%

Average Labour lead of all polls taken in March was also 20.2%
    Average Labour lead of all polls taken in February was 19.4%
    Average Labour lead of all polls taken in January was 19.5%
    Why the last 6 polls?

@heathener cut and pasted the last 5 polls yesterday when on the same day as the 5th of 5 there were 2 others that he conveniently excluded. There were 7 polls in the time period he included. The 2 excluded ones didn't fit in with the

There's a trend narrative been pushed.

You had to be there yesterday to pick up what I am talking about tbh

Anyway life's too short tbh and we just need to see who is right I think Heathener was saying Lab would end up on at least 45 and Con on about 25

I forecast Lab 38/39 Con 32/33

Both end with SKSICIPM but are very different outcomes
    For the third time, which you should know if you had even a modicum of respect, I’m not a man. I know it’s incredible to you but there are some women on this forum, which isn’t made any easier by someone like you being so disrespectful.

I don’t sit around on this forum so I can’t always, or even often, pick up responses especially if they appear much later than I have been on.

The 5 polls were all consecutively published and the 6th one appeared after, which I immediately posted. But I did note that at the time the mean Labour lead was stil 21%.

I did not say Labour would end up on 45. I said I thought they would probably poll 40%+ but, no, I don’t think they will exceed Blair's 43.2%. I think they will just about get 40%. Probably (60-40).

The real story of this General election isn’t support for Labour, it's the collapse in Conservative support. They dropped another 2% in March: https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html

They are currently polling around 6-9% below where they were at the equivalent time in the run up to the 1997 General Election when they achieved 30.7%. They are far more unpopular this time, as is their leader, nd yet you think they are going to poll much better? That has no foundation in evidence but pure wishful thinking.

Based on the above I don’t think it likely that the Conservatives will poll above 30%. If they do, it will only be just.

I suspect they will poll between 25%-30% but at the current trajectory things could get worse for them.

Maybe instead of your infatuation with Keir Starmer you should take a look at why your party is currently so despised in this country.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    I would imagine without applied swingback this poll, using Opinium's earlier methodology would align with the others and be over 20%. I do agree with you that back in the real world the Cons are way closer to Labour than any poll suggests.
    What do you base that on? The six-person canvass we had this morning in an area where we didn't even have council candidates last year produced a haul of Lab 19 Con 9 LD 7 DK 22 Won't vote 4. Even if we assume half the don't knows were shy Tories (and some were merely "don't know between LD and Lab"), we didn't detect any reviving Tory enthusiasm at all.
    Yes Nick, I've been doing plenty of doorknocking too and the collapse in the Tory vote is absolutely palpable in a way that I've never seen for a general election, with absolutely no sign of letting up over the past week or two.

Ties in with what I pick up too. I’ve never known anything like it.
  • Options
    edited April 7

I posted this as soon as I saw it @bigjohnowls

I have no problem with criticisms of my politics but at least tell the truth

Have a nice day everyone. xx
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

Taking my son to the Tottenham game today, so …

4th, like Tottenham :)
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

Ties in with what I pick up too. I’ve never known anything like it.
    What does anyone expect? The Tories are not offering the electorate anything. No hope, no aspiration. They're pathetic.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    They haven't even made it through one lap!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,478
    Save the Chelsea bun, says London MP Greg Hands
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/04/06/save-the-chelsea-bun-says-london-minister-greg-hands/ (£££)

Conservative MPs find ever more bizarre ways to distinguish themselves from the government.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited April 7
    There was quite a good bar chart by John Harrison, the Tory candidate in Ceredigion, in 2005, showing the Lib Dems 'can't win here.'

They did, but it was quite an amusing leaflet from a candidate who clearly knew he was making up the numbers and one of the things that convinced me to vote for him.

That, and wanting that lying, stupid little twat Alun Davies to come fourth.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,743
    I don't know this seat, but there is a logic to it that I like.

In a safe seat (not sure these exist still for the Tories!) It is safe for the party that you really want, whether Green, Reform or Count Binface. That way you make your point and get whatever policy you like some attention, and perhaps even into a position to squeeze votes tactically down the line.

In safe seats we are nor subject to the tactical squeeze.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,728
    Bad news out of Slovakia as populist and pro-Russian party Hlas wins the presidential election.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719
    Foxy said:

In a safe seat (not sure these exist still for the Tories!) It is safe for the party that you really want, whether Green, Reform or Count Binface. That way you make your point and get whatever policy you like some attention, and perhaps even into a position to squeeze votes tactically down the line.

Minor parties make exactly the same play in my seat where Labour have a completely unassailable majority. It’s a free hit.

Makes sense as a campaigning approach so long as the seat is actually safe from the Tories squeezing through.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    It's a one-horse race. So you can safely vote for the donkey.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,388
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

Minor parties make exactly the same play in my seat where Labour have a completely unassailable majority. It’s a free hit.

Makes sense as a campaigning approach so long as the seat is actually safe from the Tories squeezing through.
    On the numbers presented here, though, it's not actually true in this seat. If we generously assume there are no other parties, and so the Greens start on 13%, then if the Greens take votes directly from the Lib Dems, the Tories can win the seat with 29% with a vote split of:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

I've voted Green in the last five general elections, and I'm a big believer in voting for what you want. I figured that if I wanted Green policies I had to vote for them to show politicians they were important to this voter.

But it does risk splitting the vote and so every voter has to decide what is most important to them.

I think the evidence is that UKIP-inclined voters achieved more with their 12.6% of the vote in 2015, than Green-inclined voters have with voting tactically to elect Labour MPs and keep the Tories out.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804

TimS said:

Foxy said:

On the numbers presented here, though, it's not actually true in this seat. If we generously assume there are no other parties, and so the Greens start on 13%, then if the Greens take votes directly from the Lib Dems, the Tories can win the seat with 29% with a vote split of:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

I've voted Green in the last five general elections, and I'm a big believer in voting for what you want. I figured that if I wanted Green policies I had to vote for them to show politicians they were important to this voter.

But it does risk splitting the vote and so every voter has to decide what is most important to them.

I think the evidence is that UKIP-inclined voters achieved more with their 12.6% of the vote in 2015, than Green-inclined voters have with voting tactically to elect Labour MPs and keep the Tories out.
    The starting point for the seat is Tories 49 LDs 41. It is absurd to say voting Green does not increase the chances of a Tory hold. (Yes of course LDs and others have done similar in the past).
  • Options

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

The starting point for the seat is Tories 49 LDs 41. It is absurd to say voting Green does not increase the chances of a Tory hold. (Yes of course LDs and others have done similar in the past).
    Tory 29% surely?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

First like Leicester too, after our blip, great results for us. So tight at the top of the Cjampionship.

Away at Millwall next. Fox Jr 2 going.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?
    He is the Green candidate for Eastbourne. His numbers are based off current polling and Electoral Calculus, not the last election.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastbourne_(UK_Parliament_constituency)
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,530
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?
    Depends on your choice of starting point.

Conservatives 49 in the last election, down to 29 now in some sort of model?

Really odd bar chart in the recent Romford Rosindellgram that @pjh mentioned last night. Something like C39 L38 Ref16 in Romford, but as a squeeze message for May's Mayor and Assembly elections. Where the score in Romford alone is pretty irrelevant.

(Don't have the exact figures, my copy was recycled long ago.)
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?
    He is the Green candidate for Eastbourne. His numbers are based off current polling and Electoral Calculus, not the last election.

Ah, in that case vote LD!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,993

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?

Yes, that’s its really dishonest aspect. The fact is the Tories hold the seat, so if you want them out you should vote LD. Voting Green will help the Tories retain the seat.
  • Options

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Of course everyone has done this sort of thing in the past, but if politicians will be so dishonest about such a thing is it any wonder that the voters have such a low opinion of them?

This matters a lot more for politicians who are asking the voters to trust them with making large changes. Politicians who support the status quo are well-served by voters overwhelmed by cynicism, who believe that change isn't possible because lying, self-serving politicians can't be trusted.

Went should the voters trust you to make radical changes in the society and economy if they can't even trust your election leaflets? "Why are the bastard voters so cynical?" they will later complain.

You make it easy for someone like Trump to come along with his big lies about not losing an election, if you blur the line between truth and fiction beforehand. This sort of thing really pisses me off. People have to practise respecting the difference between true and false, and these sort of leaflets teach the voters to do the opposite.

Politicians are training the public not to know the difference between the truth and a lie. It creates an environment in which disinformation operations from hostile states can flourish.

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,719

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?

Yes, that’s its really dishonest aspect. The fact
    is the Tories hold the seat, so if you want them
    out you should vote LD. Voting Green will help
    the Tories retain the seat.
    It’s a double edged sword for Josh Babarinde though, and I’ve seen he’s retweeted it with a twinkle of humour rather than outrage.

It establishes the Lib Dems as unquestionably the main challengers to the Tories in the seat. That forestalls any Labour shenanigans and for a lot of unengaged voters it may be the first they’ve thought about the tactical option.

Looks more credible coming from another party than a self-serving Lib Dem bar chart.

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Mt Etna is blowing amazingly good smoke rings!
  • Options

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?

Eastbourne has changed hands in all four of the last elections. That must be quite unusual.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Of course everyone has done this sort of thing in the past, but if politicians will be so dishonest about such a thing is it any wonder that the voters have such a low opinion of them?

This matters a lot more for politicians who are asking the voters to trust them with making large changes. Politicians who support the status quo are well-served by voters overwhelmed by cynicism, who believe that change isn't possible because lying, self-serving politicians can't be trusted.

Went should the voters trust you to make radical changes in the society and economy if they can't even trust your election leaflets? "Why are the bastard voters so cynical?" they will later complain.

You make it easy for someone like Trump to come along with his big lies about not losing an election, if you blur the line between truth and fiction beforehand. This sort of thing really pisses me off. People have to practise respecting the difference between true and false, and these sort of leaflets teach the voters to do the opposite.

Politicians are training the public not to know the difference between the truth and a lie. It creates an environment in which disinformation operations from hostile states can flourish.

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!
    Abolish FPTP and bar charts disappear, just like that.
    Yes. An end to stupid tactical voting arguments, and the negative campaigning of "only x can stop y", is one of the great benefits of ditching FPTP.

Thirteen years since the lost AV referendum now.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

First like Leicester too, after our blip, great results for us. So tight at the top of the Cjampionship.

Brave. Hope he (or she) gets back safely.
  • Options
    edited April 7

TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!
    Yes. An end to stupid tactical voting arguments, and the negative campaigning of "only x can stop y", is one of the great benefits of ditching FPTP.

The AV referendum presaged the Brexit one.

Referendums are often not settled on their merits but rather treated as a way to kick the government. First the AV one kicked Clegg, then the Brexit one kicked Cameron.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

Íf you could arrange for them to have a nightmare so Forest can stay up, I'd be very grateful.
  • Options

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

He is at uni in London, lives just a couple of miles from the New Den. I told him to keep his colours covered until in the ground.

He is pretty streetwise.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    Foxy said:

And it actually displays a welcome sense of humour.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

The AV referendum presaged the Brexit one.

Referendums are often not settled on their merits but rather treated as a way to kick the government. First the AV one kicked Clegg, then the Brexit one kicked Cameron.
    You can tell the tale of Cameron's Premiership in the three referendums - shafting the Lib Dems; a narrow escape from disaster misinterpreted as a great personal triumph; hubris cruelly exposed.

Boris Johnson's story would consist of three lies - the difficulty being choosing just three.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,562
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

He is at uni in London, lives just a couple of miles from the New Den. I told him to keep his colours covered until in the ground.

He is pretty streetwise.
    I wasn't being serious.
  • Options
    It would be nice to get some constituency markets for seats like these.

The UK GE markets are a bit short of punting opportunities. Even the seat markets have poor liquidity.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,472
    The brazenness of that "barcharting" needs to win some sort of award.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,472
    Foxy said:
    I think she'll hang on. She starts north of 60%, has great name recognition and works the seat hard.

It's not the sort of seat filled with grads and young professionals that could flip it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    Foxy said:
    Just wait till SKS says he's going to increase defence spending.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942
    Foxy said:

It would be nice to get some constituency markets for seats like these.

The UK GE markets are a bit short of punting opportunities. Even the seat markets have poor liquidity.

Look at Honiton and Sidmouth. That should heat up.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

BBC 30-second video of Mount Etna blowing smoke rings.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-68752290
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

I'm old enough tio remember Scottish Tories saying that only a vote for them would stop indy. In Scottish local elections. Which are not FPTP.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

Oh, I don't know, it seems like it's a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. It's not as if Munson is suggesting he will win.

The Lib Dems must be pleased. Extra PR for them.
  • Options

Foxy said:
    I think she'll hang on. She starts north of 60%, has great name recognition and works the seat hard.

It's not the sort of seat filled with grads and young professionals that could flip it.
    213 on Labour's target list, so a bit of a stretch. She should be OK as good local and national presence, but these are the sorts of seats we are looking at Con losing on current polling.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 487

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Tory 29% surely?
    Depends on your choice of starting point.

Conservatives 49 in the last election, down to 29 now in some sort of model?

Really odd bar chart in the recent Romford Rosindellgram that @pjh mentioned last night. Something like C39 L38 Ref16 in Romford, but as a squeeze message for May's Mayor and Assembly elections. Where the score in Romford alone is pretty irrelevant.

(Don't have the exact figures, my copy was recycled long ago.)
    Fished out of the recycling bin just for @Stuartinromford

Oddly it says Hornchurch, which doesn't exist as an electoral unit at any level. I guess his staffer cut and replaced 'Romford' from the standard blurb once too often.
  • Options
    mwadams said:

Heathener said:

tlg86 said:

First, like Arsenal.

Íf you could arrange for them to have a nightmare so Forest can stay up, I'd be very grateful.
    I can’t like this but it made me smile

• Options

Off topic, managed to make £43.14 profit yesterday off two bets on the 13.30 at Kempton Park just as the horses were lining up: Auric to win plus E/W on Boudicca- both of which came in! Only bet a fiver on the first and £2 on the second - at heroically long odds - so it was quite fun. If I'd lost it was table stakes. But I didn't, so great times.

Why did I do it? It was on at Costa with subtitles and I was waiting with my kids for our toasties and drinks to be served, so I logged on and quickly mucked about.

What did I do with it? I bought a new outside jacket reduced from £79.99 to £49.99 from Mountain Warehouse in the spring sale, so it essentially paid for that.

Nice.

Frankie Dettori wins six consecutive races at Santa Anita
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/68754417
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,925

Oh, I don't know, it seems like it's a bit tongue-in-cheek to me. It's not as if Munson is suggesting he will win.

The Lib Dems must be pleased. Extra PR for them.
    If the Lib Dems don’t win here in Eastbourne then the horror of another 5 years of this cesspit government could happen . If Mr Munson ends up on my doorstep I will tell him exactly what I think .
  • Options
    edited April 7
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

LDM 28% (-14)
    CON 29% (nc)
    LAB 16% (nc)
    GRN 27% (+14)

Aaaaaaaaaaargh!

I'm old enough tio remember Scottish Tories saying that only a vote for them would stop indy. In Scottish local elections. Which are not FPTP.
    Okay. I should correct myself that the formulation I object to is more specifically, "only party x can stop party y".

If the y is policy-based than the construction is fine, even if you might debate whether it is accurate. For example, "only the Tories can stop public spending waste," or, "only Labour can stop poverty," or, "only the Greens can stop climate change," etc.

So the Tory claim you cite is debatable, but it's not an example of what I was complaining about.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,281
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

213 on Labour's target list, so a bit of a stretch. She should be OK as good local and national presence, but these are the sorts of seats we are looking at Con losing on current polling.
    She has a great local presence. There isn't a month goes by when she doesn't open a community pantry.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325
    Foxy said:
    That would make her a good bet to be next Tory Leader.
  • Options
    edited April 7
    Also on that Observer Portsmouth link, I noticed this:

'Is the British staycation boom over? Short-term holiday rentals experienced a surge in recent years, especially during the pandemic, when Britons stayed at home in the UK, leading to a spike in rates.

However, holiday-let owners across the UK are reporting a significant fall in bookings so far this year as the sector feels the effects of the cost of living crisis, poor weather and an increasingly saturated market.’

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/07/britains-staycation-boom-may-be-over-as-bookings-dry-up

The main reason imho that Britain’s staycation is over is that this country is stupidly expensive. I’m about to take a couple of months out to finish a book and I looked at somewhere in the UK to base myself. It would cost me literally at least twice the rental on airbnb compared to other European countries, including one (Norway) which is notorious for being pricey. If I wanted to park myself in the Scottish Highlands, which was tempting, it would be 3x or even 4x the cost of staying in an equally stunning property in Scandinavia.

My brother is about to spend four nights in the Wye valley. For the same price as he’s paying for the room only he could have a week’s half-board in mainland Europe including the flights.

From trains to accommodation, Britain has become a rip-off.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The other thing to remember is that SE Hampshire is a bit of the north that broke off and got stuck back in the wrong place. There's potential to swing a lot, especially given how unsound on patriotism Corbyn was seen as being.

At city level, the Conservatives are in a very bad way, but have mostly lost to a localist party rather than Labour.
  • Options

Foxy said:
    Yes, my thoughts too.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

'Is the British staycation boom over? Short-term holiday rentals experienced a surge in recent years, especially during the pandemic, when Britons stayed at home in the UK, leading to a spike in rates.

However, holiday-let owners across the UK are reporting a significant fall in bookings so far this year as the sector feels the effects of the cost of living crisis, poor weather and an increasingly saturated market.’

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/07/britains-staycation-boom-may-be-over-as-bookings-dry-up

The main reason imho that Britain’s staycation is over is that this country is stupidly expensive. I’m about to take a couple of months out to finish a book and I looked at somewhere in the UK to base myself. It would cost me literally at least twice the rental on airbnb compared to other European countries, including one (Norway) which is notorious for being pricey. If I wanted to park myself in the Scottish Highlands, which was tempting, it would be 3x or even 4x the cost of staying in an equally stunning property in Scandinavia.

My brother is about to spend four nights in the Wye valley. For the same price as he’s paying for the room only he could have a week’s half-board in mainland Europe including the flights.

Interesting. It's not so long that the Gadarene swine were rushing in the other direction. Indeed, there's a link to a previous piece at the foot of that one -

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jul/31/landlords-evicting-tenants-for-airbnb-and-holidays-lets-report-finds
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It seems to be government policy in a number of areas to clamp down on AirBnB type rentals, to try to take some of the pressure off local housing crises. There were measures in the budget for this, but one effect is indeed to send people abroad for their holidays.

It will be interesting to see if the fad for camper vans drops off too. Not from anecdotal experience so far.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749
    edited April 7
    Heathener said:

"I’m about to take a couple of months out to finish a book"

Good grief, what are you reading - Le Grand Cyrus (13,905 pages)? https://artamene.othone.org ;-)
  • Options
    Heathener said:

What seems like nine months of solid rain concentrates the holidaymaker's mind, even if our summers have been too hot as well. Also, there are midges in the Highlands.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMLona9oelM
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

It seems to be government policy in a number of areas to clamp down on AirBnB type rentals, to try to take some of the pressure off local housing crises. There were measures in the budget for this, but one effect is indeed to send people abroad for their holidays.

It will be interesting to see if the fad for camper vans drops off too. Not from anecdotal experience so far.
    The SNP certainly seem to want theirs back!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Talking of weird meteorological events its not actually raining this morning and, in between the rapidly scudding clouds, there is the odd shaft of what we used to call sunlight (as I recall). Whatever next?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

Talking of weird meteorological events its not actually raining this morning and, in between the rapidly scudding clouds, there is the odd shaft of what we used to call sunlight (as I recall). Whatever next?
    The juxtaposition of Storm Kathleen and the start of summer is absurd.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

We have sunny but windy
  • Options

Heathener said:

What seems like nine months of solid rain concentrates the holidaymaker's mind, even if our summers have been too hot as well. Also, there are midges in the Highlands.
    There are midges in the Lowlands too. Got bitten early this month.

But it's usually only really the summer that is the bad season.

I'm wondering how it will be this year with the mild winter, though.

This will be useful

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

And not for delicate folk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66532082
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The other thing to remember is that SE Hampshire is a bit of the north that broke off and got stuck back in the wrong place. There's potential to swing a lot, especially given how unsound on patriotism Corbyn was seen as being.

At city level, the Conservatives are in a very bad way, but have mostly lost to a localist party rather than Labour.
    I know Hampshire reasonably well as went to school there, and my folks still live there, so get down there fairly often, as well as passing through on the way to the Island. I tend to favour the Southampton over Porstmouth route.

I wouldn't say that SE Hampshire is a bit of the North, but rather more like other coastal cities in the South, with added Naval tradition. Its only since the Blue vote became so concentrated amongst the retired that these became solidly Tory, having had much more diverse politics before.

If we look at the polling tables even the 65+ demographic is more evenly split between Lab and Tory now being 22/34 now in the latest YouGov. I think this in part explains the differential larger swing to Lab in the seats outside Labour safe seats. That and the ceiling effect.

If the oldies stop voting Con, they don't have much left.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:
    Yes, my thoughts too.
    Penny for PM or LotO: Even if the matelots do return her to Parliament, we need to factor in that the Conservative Party in the country will determine its next leader, and they gave us Liz Truss.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,353
    Foxy said:

I think that's right. The difficulty is with current polling deciding what a safe seat is.
  • Options

Heathener said:

"I’m about to take a couple of months out to finish a book"

Good grief, what are you reading - Le Grand Cyrus (13,905 pages)? https://artamene.othone.org ;-)
    ;)

• Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:
    Yes, my thoughts too.
    Penny for PM or LotO: Even if the matelots do return her to Parliament, we need to factor in that the Conservative Party in the country will determine its next leader, and they gave us Liz Truss.
    And IDS. PM for LotO would be sensible - she has oomph and can say something to all the people not voting Conservative right now. I don't think she wins in 2028, but she might groom a successor who has a chance in 2032.

But if the alternative is (say) Suella B, she loses.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:
    Yes, my thoughts too.
    If Penny is to be Prime Minister, it would need to be a coronation before the election. Can that be arranged or are there too many rival factions already throwing their candidates' hats into the ring?
  • Options
    p.s. ^^^ sorry ^^^, I increasingly feel it’s pretentious to say you’re a writer but I have been lucky enough to be a bestseller.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Heathener said:

Even the Observer is now using 'Staycation' to mean 'a holiday in tge same country that you live'? A shame. Almost all my holidays have been in tge UK and I don't consider them somehow any less of a holiday.
    If we lived in a tiny country like Luxembourg I could get on board with the term. Or if it were used to mean a holiday within, say, 20 miles of where you live. But the UK is huge. It takes at least five hours for me to get to Cornwall or the Highlands. That's not staying at home in any sense.
    We had this discussion a while back, perhaps a year or so.

I’m very happy with the idea that staycation = a UK based holiday.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

There are midges in the Lowlands too. Got bitten early this month.

But it's usually only really the summer that is the bad season.

I'm wondering how it will be this year with the mild winter, though.

This will be useful

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

And not for delicate folk

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-66532082
    And just to cheer us up some more about the weird weather, I find this on the Graun:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/07/id-never-been-bitten-by-a-tick-before-why-the-little-blood-sucking-pest-is-getting-us-into-a-panic

Tick-borne Lyme disease aka borreliosis is on the up.

At least you don't catch anything from a Highland midge.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,362

Foxy said:

I think that's right. The difficulty is with current polling deciding what a safe seat is.
    Or indeed given the atomisation and changes to the electorate. Depending on the extent to which the 'Blue Wall' falls/almost does, it'll pretty much leave leave Labour's inner city strongholds and a tiny number of super rural Tory seats as the only places where there hasn't been a serious challenge to the traditionally dominant party in recent memory.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Heathener said:

I also think ‘van life,’ as in living in a vehicle, will continue to be a thing for as long accommodation is so expensive here.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    Heathener said:

A staycation has trivial costs as it involves staying at your own home.

But the UK has become a country where having a holiday in your own country no longer counts as having a holiday.

And where the government is borrowing about £40bn from foreigners each year so that Britain can run a tourism deficit of about £40bn.
  • Options
    Very worrying signs coming out of Iran
  • Options

Heathener said:

But the UK has become a country where having a holiday in your own country no longer counts as having a holiday.
    I kind-of think those banging this drum are showing their age if I may say.

The world shrank. People travel globally now. Over 50% of Brits will go abroad this year, with over 60% of younger Brits:
    https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/half-of-britons-plan-to-travel-abroad-this-year-despite-rising-holiday-cost-concerns-research-reveals

A holiday in the UK = staying at home = staycation.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

I also think ‘van life,’ as in living in a vehicle, will continue to be a thing for as long accommodation is so expensive here.
    Isn't the point though that because the market for airbnb's have got saturated the cost of renting them out has fallen? If you search for an airbnb apartment on the south coast they rent out for about £65 a night out of season.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:
    Yes, my thoughts too.
    Indeed. I can’t see the remaining Party rump being sensible. It usually takes one, or even two, more heavy defeats for them to come to their senses and pitch for the middle ground.

If Penny isn’t in place before the GE then the Party will surely lurch even further to the right?

Not that I think she’s safe then even if they do install her before the election. There seems to be quite a bit of fuel left in the right-wing tank.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    I would comment that Britain is pretty much on the same level now with Finland in terms of cost of living. The only really noticeable expense that is cheaper in england is beer from the supermarket. Everything else is pretty similar.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

We have sunny but windy
    Same here in Cadiz. Dust from the Sahara. Enormous waves. Very hot.
  • Options
    darkage said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

Heathener said:

Isn't the point though that because the market for airbnb's have got saturated the cost of renting them out has fallen? If you search for an airbnb apartment on the south coast they rent out for about £65 a night out of season.
    I know that when searching for a shoulder season apartment in the south-west I was looking at over £2000 pcm. The Highlands you can easily double that. And we’re not talking particularly amazing accommodation either.

I can rent something, and indeed have, for half that price in Norway. That’s Norway which is supposed to be really expensive [as @darkage mentions it’s really the alcohol which promotes this theory now & I don’t drink booze]

If I went as a digital nomad to, say, Thailand or Malaysia I could rent a fabulous apartment for £500 pcm.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

The world shrank. People travel globally now. Over 50% of Brits will go abroad this year, with over 60% of younger Brits:
    https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/tourism/half-of-britons-plan-to-travel-abroad-this-year-despite-rising-holiday-cost-concerns-research-reveals

No, a staycation is a specific thing where you have time off work but stay at your own home.

Spending the time relaxing, catching up on jobs, pottering about the garden, visiting local museums/parks/restaurants, going on a day trip or two. All likely at minimal cost and stress.

Whereas a holiday is a period of time during which you relax and enjoy yourself away from home - Collins definition.

If someone had two weeks in Devon, a week in Norfolk and a week in the Lake district but claimed not to have had a holiday that year they would be as ridiculous as they were self-entitled.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No, a staycation is a specific thing where you have time off work but stay at your own home.

You’re very entitled to your view but you’re on a loser with this one I’m afraid. Pushing water uphill etc.

Staycation is now accepted as UK.

Language & definitions change and we, sometimes, just have to shrug our shoulders, accept it, and move on.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Barnesian said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

We have sunny but windy
    Same here in Cadiz. Dust from the Sahara. Enormous waves. Very hot.
    AirBnb three bedrooms, sleep 8. 130 Euros a night. A decent glass of wine at the bar/cafe round the corner is 2.70 euro.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    @REWearmouth

Asked whether Rishi Sunak is exasperated by poll after poll showing the Tories are on course for defeat, Oliver Dowden says: “The PM is full of vim and vigour.”
  • Options

The attack on their diplomatic mission in Syria killing 7 of their people and 2 generals was a deliberately provocative act by Israel designed to get a response and, presumably widen the war in the hope that the Americans will then have to stay on board. The Israelis in general and Netanyahu in particular seem to be losing it.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

You’re very entitled to your view but you’re on a loser with this one I’m afraid. Pushing water uphill etc.

Staycation is now accepted as UK.

Language & definitions change and we, sometimes, just have to shrug our shoulders, accept it, and move on.
    If I say the sun rises in the east and the rest of the world says it rises in the west I may be outnumbered but I am still correct.

Except I doubt the rest of the world calls having a holiday in their own country as not having a holiday.

And if you insist that having a UK holiday is a staycation then what word do you use for actually having a staycation ie staying at your home during time off work.

All this discussion highlights is the rather whiny self-entitlement many have in this country that only a foreign holiday counts as a 'proper' holiday and it being somehow their 'right' to have one.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Mention of Millwall down thread reminds me of an anecdote from back in the day...

Bloke from the North East decides to go to a Millwall game. Buys himself a Millwall scarf and strolls into a pub full of Millwall fans. Immediately, one of them turns to him and says "You're not Millwall." The reason being that none of them wore colours. However, they admired his approach, and let him join them for a pint rather than giving him a kicking.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    @Dylan_Difford

An alternative way of visualising the change in Conservative support since 2019.

Biggest losses among Leavers (-36), over 65s (-29) and in the Midlands (-28), with damage among homeowners, those without a degree and in the South also substantial.

• Options
    DavidL said:

The attack on their diplomatic mission in Syria killing 7 of their people and 2 generals was a deliberately provocative act by Israel designed to get a response and, presumably widen the war in the hope that the Americans will then have to stay on board. The Israelis in general and Netanyahu in particular seem to be losing it.
    Makes political sense for Bibi and strategic sense for Israel.

A full scale war with Iran would be better sooner than later for Israel.

Every year onwards brings Iran closer to having nuclear weapons.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    I find self catering to be broadly similar in cost between the UK and rest of Europe. In any case not big enough a difference in price to force you to go somewhere else. But I guess it depends on area, property and when you decide to go.

Property owners will often give you better rates on their own websites. Check out reviews on Airbnb etc first to make sure they're bona fide.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Makes political sense for Bibi and strategic sense for Israel.

A full scale war with Iran would be better sooner than later for Israel.

Every year onwards brings Iran closer to having nuclear weapons.
    I agree about the political sense for Bibi. The rest I am not nearly so sure about.
  • Options

Mention of Millwall down thread reminds me of an anecdote from back in the day...

Bloke from the North East decides to go to a Millwall game. Buys himself a Millwall scarf and strolls into a pub full of Millwall fans. Immediately, one of them turns to him and says "You're not Millwall." The reason being that none of them wore colours. However, they admired his approach, and let him join them for a pint rather than giving him a kicking.

Was it Rod Liddle ?
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 587
    Great bar chart. Message: "The LibDems are going to win, and nobody likes them, so you might as well piss your vote away on a pretty colour as a heroic gesture?"
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I find self catering to be broadly similar in cost between the UK and rest of Europe. In any case not big enough a difference in price to force you to go somewhere else. But I guess it depends on area, property and when you decide to go.

Property owners will often give you better rates on their own websites. Check out reviews on Airbnb etc first to make sure they're bona fide.

What I have found over the last several years is that European countries, particularly Mediterranean countries, costs have risen sharply and are now much more equivalent to what you would pay in this country. The fantastic meals of seafood and Sangria that we used to have in Albufeira, for example, are now every bit as expensive as going to a decent restaurant in this country.

This has acted as a bit of a disincentive to going abroad and we have had staycations in the UK (I am in the @Heathener camp on this one) the last 3 years and very enjoyable it has been too. I think, for me, the experience of flying and dealing with airports and their so called security has become so unpleasant that I would only do it if there was something very specific that I wanted to go and see.
This discussion has been closed.