Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

They shall have wars and pay for their presumption – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

Guardian report Labour membership down by 23,000 over last 2 months. The lack of enthusiasm for the change in a change election is quite revealing

The Entryists have become Exitists.
    Well why don't they just bugger off and join the Green Party then. ;)
    I've no idea why they do. They seem to have zero interest in environmentalism.

SWP is the more natural home.
    The Green Party has zero interest in environmentalism too.

They oppose the development of zero carbon energy.
    When it involves the desecration of the environment, so they should.

There is a heck of a lot more to environmentalism than CO2 emissions.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728

NEW THREAD

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Everyone on PB should be using Claude 3 opus. Whatever your job is, this tech is going to transform it

And it will probably take your job away in 5-10 years, possibly sooner than that

Those that benefit from it will be those that master it early, and get ahead of the curve, and use it while it is still best as an assistant, rather than doing everything itself (which it will do)

https://claude.ai/login

Fine by me, I’m retiring in December

All these suckers taking degrees, taking in debt they will never pay off, hoping for a career when AI will decimate many of their prospective jobs and replace them who god knows what.

Far better to get an apprenticeship and a trade.
    Indeed and absolutely right

I fear for my kids. I’m not completely delighted by this tech, half of me is terrified, but I’m not going to live in denial. It’s here and it’s real and it’s not going away

On the upside, we possibly live in the most interesting moment in human history. The creation of a superior and alien intelligence

I am reminded of this prescient article in the Spectator, 16 months ago, comparing the arrival of AI to the arrival of Europeans in Australia

“A few decades after the first contact art appeared in Arnhemland, the Aboriginal people were largely swept from their homelands by the economic forces and political changes brought by European settlers. But not everyone deserted these silent red canyons and bright lilied waterways. In the 2000s, the last native speaker of the local Amurdag language, Charlie Mungulda, returned to the Mount Borradaile rockfaces to paint a symbolic and final hand, a scarlet print which says ‘remember us, because we were here’. With this ritual, he signalled an end to 50,000 continuous years of Aboriginal art in West Arnhemland. Nothing has been painted in Mount Borrodaile since. Nor will it be.”

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-australian-rock-art-warns-us-about-2023/
    That’s pretty interesting. I know people mock you but your comments and articles do provoke thought. Far more than many others. I find peoples blasé attitude towards this surprising. The risks are plain to see.

Elon Musk reckons AGI by 2030.
    I was mocked when I said “covid is coming” in late January 2020

Now I am saying: AGI is coming
    For balance you were also mocked for promoting Putin as defender of Judaeo-Christian values and suggesting Truss might surprise on the upside.
    That was the Liz truss in the necklace, that woman? The necklace I spotted within 2 minutes of watching the debate, when the rest of you were utterly clueless?

That Liz truss?
    The actuality of PM Truss was quite a bit after your necklace burbling.
    I think it’s fair to say she pretty much surprised on the downside, even for those of us with low expectations.
    Interesting and surprisingly sympathetic dissection in today's Guardian of the total failure that is Liz Truss

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/30/she-still-carries-an-aura-of-spectacular-failure-why-hasnt-liz-truss-gone-away
    If that article is sympathetic I'd like to read an unsympathetic one. But interesting to learn that the Trumpites think she's a total fraud. And is she really at risk in South West Norfolk?
    If she loses SW Norfolk the Tories are probably losing by 20 points plus nationally, its in the top 15 safest Tory seats even if we make allowance for her being a complete twit
    If it goes that's Ed Davey installed as leader of the tattered remnants of the opposition, and possibly the end of the Conservative Party itself. Even if the defeat removes quite a lot of the blue rosette on a pig safe seats, we're not going to end up with a Canada 1993 wipeout. Even if they do deserve it.
    Actually the idea that there might be a general reformation on the liberal right is the only good explanation of why the LDs have Davey as a leader.
    My limited knowledge of the Lib Dems suggests that they're a party largely consisting of progressive activists, but which aims to advance itself by winning the support of well to do, ageing Home Counties nimbies from the Conservatives. Quite how such a party will go about trying to construct a coherent platform, if it becomes sufficiently relevant for this to be important for them again, is anyone's guess.
    Actually the striking thing about LD support is how evenly spread it is across all demographics, unlike Labour or Conservative or Reform. A little less in Wales and Scotland and a bit more in the SE of England.

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Difford/status/1773650449775628705?t=M2_rEcEWpwbJASXt9pXZ7g&s=19

Nonetheless, the large majority of their realistic targets in England (save in the case of a total Tory implosion, in which case Labour might just sweep almost everything anyway) are in the South East. They'll be doing very well indeed to get more than three or four seats between Cambridge and the Tweed.
    Yes, more snobs now vote LD than Tory and that has been the case since Brexit
    What an extraordinary post!
    Done on canvassing experience, go to the most expensive detached houses in the Home Counties and more likely than not the voters will be LD, certainly outside rural areas and when they are patronising with it (especially at local elections). Even if most of them still voted Tory in 2019 in the GE to keep out Corbyn now he has been replaced with Starmer many of them will vote LD without fear of Labour at general elections too
    How do you know they’re ‘snobs’ though?
    One for example looked at us and our rosette down his rimmed glasses, said 'I don't think so' and slammed the door.

You also only have to see some of the comments from Roger et al etc on here, the sheer contempt some diehard Remainers have for working class Leavers and the LDs have the highest percentage of diehard Remainers amongst their voters.

Nonsense, I am a lifelong Tory and I've looked down on the working classes long before Brexit.
    Yet who did you vote for at the last 2 general elections? The Liberal Democrats.

I rest my case!
    I am voting Tory at the next general election.
    Sunak has one convert!
    Appointing David Cameron as Foreign Secretary was what clinched my vote.
    David Cameron is the only minister in this sorry government making any serious effort at all.
    What's he done that is serious. Passed me by.

Michael Gove can be decent, but I don't think Sunak is letting him be.

Hunt has done some very good work, especially on National Insurance, credit where it's due.

But the rest of the sorry bunch need to go to the Opposition benches, or out of Parliament altogether.
    These guys supposedly have a job to do. Only David Cameron is even pretending to do his. I mean determining a foreign policy and then implementing it.
    What has Cameron actually done? What policy changes, what implementation?

The problem with Foreign Office as a great office of state is that nowadays foreign policy is largely in the control of the PM.

The country has had the right policy on Ukraine since before either Cameron or Sunak had their positions.

I can't think of a single significant foreign policy change or implementation since Cameron came. Which is no slight on Cameron though, I'm not sure what he can do nowadays.
    Cameron has invested in a lot of diplomacy, promoted the existing policy on Ukraine, floated a semi independent policy on recognising a Palestinian state, the last in coordination with the German FM, holding useful bilaterals with various governments mainly on strengthening defence ties. I believe he's in Thailand now doing just this.

It's bread and butter stuff but with political events in the UK in recent years not to the UK's strategic advantage, it makes sense to have a period of stability.

Rishi Sunak appears to have almost no interest in foreign affairs, which also helps Cameron.
    Foreign affairs. Domestic affairs. Politics in general.

Exactly why is Sunak there?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,184
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Everyone on PB should be using Claude 3 opus. Whatever your job is, this tech is going to transform it

And it will probably take your job away in 5-10 years, possibly sooner than that

Those that benefit from it will be those that master it early, and get ahead of the curve, and use it while it is still best as an assistant, rather than doing everything itself (which it will do)

All these suckers taking degrees, taking in debt they will never pay off, hoping for a career when AI will decimate many of their prospective jobs and replace them who god knows what.

I fear for my kids. I’m not completely delighted by this tech, half of me is terrified, but I’m not going to live in denial. It’s here and it’s real and it’s not going away

On the upside, we possibly live in the most interesting moment in human history. The creation of a superior and alien intelligence

I am reminded of this prescient article in the Spectator, 16 months ago, comparing the arrival of AI to the arrival of Europeans in Australia

“A few decades after the first contact art appeared in Arnhemland, the Aboriginal people were largely swept from their homelands by the economic forces and political changes brought by European settlers. But not everyone deserted these silent red canyons and bright lilied waterways. In the 2000s, the last native speaker of the local Amurdag language, Charlie Mungulda, returned to the Mount Borradaile rockfaces to paint a symbolic and final hand, a scarlet print which says ‘remember us, because we were here’. With this ritual, he signalled an end to 50,000 continuous years of Aboriginal art in West Arnhemland. Nothing has been painted in Mount Borrodaile since. Nor will it be.”

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/how-australian-rock-art-warns-us-about-2023/
    That’s pretty interesting. I know people mock you but your comments and articles do provoke thought. Far more than many others. I find peoples blasé attitude towards this surprising. The risks are plain to see.

For balance you were also mocked for promoting Putin as defender of Judaeo-Christian values and suggesting Truss might surprise on the upside.
    That was the Liz truss in the necklace, that woman? The necklace I spotted within 2 minutes of watching the debate, when the rest of you were utterly clueless?

That Liz truss?
    I think it’s fair to say she pretty much surprised on the downside, even for those of us with low expectations.
    Interesting and surprisingly sympathetic dissection in today's Guardian of the total failure that is Liz Truss

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/30/she-still-carries-an-aura-of-spectacular-failure-why-hasnt-liz-truss-gone-away
    If that article is sympathetic I'd like to read an unsympathetic one. But interesting to learn that the Trumpites think she's a total fraud. And is she really at risk in South West Norfolk?
    If she loses SW Norfolk the Tories are probably losing by 20 points plus nationally, its in the top 15 safest Tory seats even if we make allowance for her being a complete twit
    If it goes that's Ed Davey installed as leader of the tattered remnants of the opposition, and possibly the end of the Conservative Party itself. Even if the defeat removes quite a lot of the blue rosette on a pig safe seats, we're not going to end up with a Canada 1993 wipeout. Even if they do deserve it.
    Actually the idea that there might be a general reformation on the liberal right is the only good explanation of why the LDs have Davey as a leader.
    My limited knowledge of the Lib Dems suggests that they're a party largely consisting of progressive activists, but which aims to advance itself by winning the support of well to do, ageing Home Counties nimbies from the Conservatives. Quite how such a party will go about trying to construct a coherent platform, if it becomes sufficiently relevant for this to be important for them again, is anyone's guess.
    Actually the striking thing about LD support is how evenly spread it is across all demographics, unlike Labour or Conservative or Reform. A little less in Wales and Scotland and a bit more in the SE of England.

https://twitter.com/Dylan_Difford/status/1773650449775628705?t=M2_rEcEWpwbJASXt9pXZ7g&s=19

Nonetheless, the large majority of their realistic targets in England (save in the case of a total Tory implosion, in which case Labour might just sweep almost everything anyway) are in the South East. They'll be doing very well indeed to get more than three or four seats between Cambridge and the Tweed.
    Yes, more snobs now vote LD than Tory and that has been the case since Brexit
    What an extraordinary post!
    Done on canvassing experience, go to the most expensive detached houses in the Home Counties and more likely than not the voters will be LD, certainly outside rural areas and when they are patronising with it (especially at local elections). Even if most of them still voted Tory in 2019 in the GE to keep out Corbyn now he has been replaced with Starmer many of them will vote LD without fear of Labour at general elections too
    How do you know they’re ‘snobs’ though?
    One for example looked at us and our rosette down his rimmed glasses, said 'I don't think so' and slammed the door.

You also only have to see some of the comments from Roger et al etc on here, the sheer contempt some diehard Remainers have for working class Leavers and the LDs have the highest percentage of diehard Remainers amongst their voters.

Nonsense, I am a lifelong Tory and I've looked down on the working classes long before Brexit.
    Yet who did you vote for at the last 2 general elections? The Liberal Democrats.

I rest my case!
    I am voting Tory at the next general election.
    That's only because they installed Cameron as FS... 😃
    FFS ! :smile:
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717
    Trent said:

viewcode said:

Matthew has done a Parris again. This week: killing old people.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-cant-afford-a-taboo-on-assisted-dying-n6p8bfg9k

He has a point. The last years of peoples lives especially in dementia care homes can be utterly miserable. And we have to ask can we afford it.
    If we decide we can't afford it what do you suggest? A bolt in the temple like we do with cows? I mean honestly if you are going to make statements like that you might like to think what you are going to do then.
  • Options

Trent said:

viewcode said:

Matthew has done a Parris again. This week: killing old people.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/we-cant-afford-a-taboo-on-assisted-dying-n6p8bfg9k

He has a point. The last years of peoples lives especially in dementia care homes can be utterly miserable. And we have to ask can we afford it.
    I would just comment for the vast majority in dementia care they are self funded through their assets including their home

Furthermore many are not as miserable as their family watching them suffer and suggesting they should be euthanized is simply unacceptable
    Nobody should be euthanised against their will, that's called murder.

However if someone wants to control their own death, that should be their choice.

As a nation of pet lovers, we give a greater dignity in death to our pets, whom we love and don't want to suffer, than we do our vulnerable who are allowed to rot and die in misery rather than have a humane end of their own choosing.

We should show humans as much respect and love as we do our pets. Especially when those humans can vocalise their wishes.
    I agree with you, but of course those in dementia would not be of sound mind to understand their decision and in many cases, maybe the majority, they will be under a power of attorney who can decide on health matters but not euthanasia
    Not everyone who is dying has dementia of course, not even everyone in a care home does.

Ideally in my view people should be able to make their choices, however they want, even in the early stages of dementia if someone has it but is not yet so far gone that they have lost their own free will or power of attorney.

Just like a patient can sign a DNR in advance.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Best for Britain have an MRP out from Survation
    Lab 468
    Con 98
    SNP 41
    LD 22

Headline 45 26

Reform getting 7 second places

Some rearkable findings there. Guildford (kjh's base) is Con 27 Lab 28 LD 29. Godalming (Hunt's seat, where I was based) Con 33 LD 32 LD 25. My bet with Andy Cooke on Didcot and Wantage looking good: Con 33 Lab 38 LD 17. Basically reinforces the case for the LibDems to concentrate on the top targets.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,888
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Omnium said:

pigeon said:

FF43 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

That Liz truss?

Unfortunately for them the ceiling for centre right Davey/Clegg Liberalism is about 10-15%, the only way the LDs get over 20% is with social democracy, Charles Kennedy or Roy Jenkins style (or as Clegg pretended to back in 2010)
    Sorry to respond quite late (been in the garden) but I thought @hyufd's post was an interesting one and worth responding to. I disagree with some of it, but not completely.

Firstly I agree we need a better leader like @hyufd mentions and I can't see one in the current line up. I also agree that the LDs are made up of 2 groups. They are the Social Democrats and the Liberals (often now referred to as Orange Bookers) I am one of the latter. I also agree that Liberals like me have limited appeal to the electorate. In fact I would put it at even a lower figure than @hyufd does.

However where I disagree is with the perception of the electorates view of the LDs, because I believe most people think of the LDs as being in the Centre and Social Democratic regardless of whether Social Democracy or Liberalism is in the ascendancy within the party.

In addition it really doesn't matter either. Unlike the Conservatives and Labour who are both broad churches and sometimes fall out over stuff and strain at the extremities that doesn't seem to happen generally within the LDs. Both Liberals and Social Democrats get on with one another. I think that is because Liberals understand they can't just implement the radical reforms they would like and pragmatism is needed and Social Democrats are nothing if not pragmatic. Similarly Social Democrats don't object to idealism as long as it doesn't scare the children.
    Most people think the lib dems are mendacious lying arseholes which is why no on votes for them
This discussion has been closed.