Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I think the Telegraph are reading too much into this however… – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited March 21 in General
I think the Telegraph are reading too much into this however… – politicalbetting.com

? Penny Mordaunt failed to praise Rishi Sunak when challenged to confirm her support for the Prime Minister today amid speculation about a plot to oust himRead more?https://t.co/o5JcrK4R2c pic.twitter.com/pWOsgXh40a

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited March 21
    First like Arsenal.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    A Penny for her thoughts
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,955
    Yeah, Richi is safe from rebellious Tory MPs for now...

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky
    Last night Tory MPs were told that the whip next week was likely to be reduced so they wouldn’t have to return to the Commons pre Easter

But it seems that a deal between Tory and Labour whips to avoid votes on Monday’s Investigatory Powers Bill have collapsed

So Tory MPs being told three line whip stands on Monday
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    edited March 21
    New trick for the Tories:

Ask if their voters are sword swallowers
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Damning with ain't praise.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky
    Last night Tory MPs were told that the whip next week was likely to be reduced so they wouldn’t have to return to the Commons pre Easter

But it seems that a deal between Tory and Labour whips to avoid votes on Monday’s Investigatory Powers Bill have collapsed

Poor little mites, actually having to turn up for work.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,182

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

Do they not work when they are in their constituencies as well ?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

Nah, it's easier for people just to assume they don't.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    @Leon said on the last thread:

When I became a parent I realised that when parents say “I would die to save my kids” they really mean it. But maybe not quite in the noble altruistic way it comes across

What they are saying is: I would rather be dead myself than deal with the grief from a dead child

I replied on the last thread, but the last thread ended and I was touched by Leon's comment so replied as follows and wanted to be sure he saw it so am repeating here:

Yep. I'm no softy when it comes to people dying. I don't cry at funerals. But yes I would do anything to save my children, particularly when they were toddlers and I was looking after them and it would not have been noble or altruistic, it would have just been instinct, so I can't even say it would be because I couldn't cope with the grief. Although I know I wouldn't have been able to. My wife really had to talk me into having children. It was definitely worth it even though they can be annoying sometimes.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

Most MPs are at work in their constituencies too. It's an impossible job, and all the reward a back bencher gets is sneering from the ignorant.
    It is also an increasingly dangerous job, because the psychotic take their cue from bullshit comments like this.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    Penny could lead a dream ticket along with political veterans Bill Cash, Stephen Pound and Gordon Banks.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271
    UKIP never led the Tories in an opinion poll, though they did get to within one point once.

The Brexit Party was nine points ahead of the Tories (26-17) in two opinion polls in the dying days of Theresa May's leadership.

One other interesting aspect is that the aggregate score for the two parties seems much lower now. 43% then, to 34% now.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Penny could lead a dream ticket along with political veterans Bill Cash, Stephen Pound and Gordon Banks.

I don't think there was ever any MPs called 'bust', 'bankrupt' or 'debt'...
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    https://twitter.com/levelsio/status/1770837156094693482

So
    @Uber
    is completely useless in Argentina

Because someone hardcoded

if(price>1000) {
    dontAcceptDebitCard();
    }

Not realizing 1000 ARS is $1
  • Options
    Maybe Penny is still sore about being knocked out of not one but two Conservative leadership contests by the political titan that is Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    TimS said:

Penny wise, Pound foolish?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    eek said:

https://twitter.com/levelsio/status/1770837156094693482

So
    @Uber
    is completely useless in Argentina

Because someone hardcoded

if(price>1000) {
    dontAcceptDebitCard();
    }

Not realizing 1000 ARS is $1

ARSE!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,236
    That last chat was a bit depressing so here is something genuinely and wonderfully uplifting

Elon Musk’s Neuralink gives a quadriplegic guy the chance to interact with a computer, and thus the world: a form of telekinesis. The joy on the guy’s face is 🥂👍🍷👏👏👏👏👏

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1770565942168420750?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Who knows. Maybe the future will be wondrous
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 646
    kjh said:

When I became a parent I realised that when parents say “I would die to save my kids” they really mean it. But maybe not quite in the noble altruistic way it comes across

What they are saying is: I would rather be dead myself than deal with the grief from a dead child

I replied on the last thread, but the last thread ended and I was touched by Leon's comment so replied as follows and wanted to be sure he saw it so am repeating here:

Yep. I'm no softy when it comes to people dying. I don't cry at funerals. But yes I would do anything to save my children, particularly when they were toddlers and I was looking after them and it would not have been noble or altruistic, it would have just been instinct, so I can't even say it would be because I couldn't cope with the grief. Although I know I wouldn't have been able to. My wife really had to talk me into having children. It was definitely worth it even though they can be annoying sometimes.

I can vividly remember watching my daughter fall asleep aged 3, maybe 4, and realising with a start that if something dreadful like a house fire happened, I would save her, over my wife, over myself, over everything. If I had to run into a burning house and die in the process of saving her, I would. And with all that lies between then and now, I would still do the same. Nothing to do with not dealing with the rgief otherwise, but because she gave meaning to everything.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

You are kidding Taz, our MSP's work when they are on holiday in Morocco, only £11K phone bill to watch theold firm on laptop whilst answering mail
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426
    Vernor Vinge has died.

{all the post singularity intelligences in the Transcend mourn. Apart from The Blight}
  • Options
    Imagine being told at 21 you will never move your arms or legs again, you are permanently quadriplegic

Unthinkable. But now here’s a technology which says: maybe not. Maybe it’s not permanent

Magical
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

Most MPs are at work in their constituencies too. It's an impossible job, and all the reward a back bencher gets is sneering from the ignorant.
    It is also an increasingly dangerous job, because the psychotic take their cue from bullshit comments like this.
    The jokes are getting better
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Selebian said:

TimS said:

Penny wise, Pound foolish?
    Ah, now I realize why @Anabobazina isn't a Conservative voter
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

The danger seems to come more from people who overestimate the power of MPs rather than people who resent their lifestyle.
  • Options

kjh said:

I can vividly remember watching my daughter fall asleep aged 3, maybe 4, and realising with a start that if something dreadful like a house fire happened, I would save her, over my wife, over myself, over everything. If I had to run into a burning house and die in the process of saving her, I would. And with all that lies between then and now, I would still do the same. Nothing to do with not dealing with the rgief otherwise, but because she gave meaning to everything.
    I had that epiphany too. Hence my remarks

It’s probably worth having kids JUST to experience that overwhelming emotion. Nothing else like it in the human world

It is evolutionary of course. Its intensity matches their vulnerability, as they become independent you relax. A little
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    Hmmm

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    "Failed to praise" ...

What is this, North Korea ?

Stupid piece of nonsense from the Telegraph.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,239
    The Prime Minister is the right man for the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQ3Q4tQAhM
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

They're forever whining about how shit it is to be a politician in this country. How skint they are, how dangerous it is, how hard the hours are. How they don't get the respect that being an MP should get. I get that, but fuck me, the last few governments have bought it on themselves. My local MP, a sainted backbencher, is an absolutely lazy, out of touch shitshow. Luckily, she'll be out at the next election.
  • Options

TimS said:

I don't think there was ever any MPs called 'bust', 'bankrupt' or 'debt'...
    Both Andrew Rosindell and Roy Hattersley had dogs called Buster, if that helps.*

* spoiler alert - it doesn't.
  • Options

Hmmm

I doubt the ingredient list includes anything that's come within sniffing distance of a pig.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hmmm

I doubt the ingredient list includes anything that's come within sniffing distance of a pig.
    Unless George Galloway was within five miles.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632
    Nigelb said:

"Failed to praise" ...

What is this, North Korea ?

Stupid piece of nonsense from the Telegraph.

They’re desperate for some more blue-on-blue. It’s more exciting in Telegraph world than general elections with the boring Labour politicians whom they don’t have in their WhatsApp groups.
  • Options

Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

They're forever whining about how shit it is to be a politician in this country. How skint they are, how dangerous it is, how hard the hours are. How they don't get the respect that being an MP should get. I get that, but fuck me, the last few governments have bought it on themselves. My local MP, a sainted backbencher, is an absolutely lazy, out of touch shitshow. Luckily, she'll be out at the next election.
    I take it she's from a party you don't support? ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

It appears that everyone else on PB is rather more fond of their kids than I am.

That doesn't apply to @Sunil_Prasannan or me...
  • Options
    TimS said:

Sounds like my idea of Hell!!
  • Options

TimS said:

Sounds like my idea of Hell!!
    You'd rather have no contact than contact less in this case...
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    edited March 21
    TimS said:

Stephen Pound has always paid tribute to William Hague for fighting the 2001 election on the slogan 'Save the Pound'.
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,081
    edited March 21

Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

Oh...

@SamCoatesSky

I take it she's from a party you don't support? ;)
    I've voted for her predecessor from the same party in the past. She's just useless at politics. Genuinely done nothing for the constituency. She was invisible during the town's flooding crisis this year. She ceded the ground totally to the local Labour councillor when she could have had an easy win, but as usual, just couldn't be bothered. She doesn't deserve respect or compassion for how "difficult and challenging being a British MP" is.
    She just deserves the sack, as many, many politicians do from this current crop. That they are mostly Tories is indicative of how badly they have failed the country.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

Maybe Penny is still sore about being knocked out of not one but two Conservative leadership contests by the political titan that is Rishi Sunak.

Didn’t Sunak “lend” Truss MPs to knock Penny out? If you felt someone done that to you, you wouldn’t still bear a grudge after all this time?

If you felt you’ve been shunted away to LOTH, when likes of Braverman got Home Office despite sacked as a security risk? That wouldn’t be part of feeling hard done by would it?

All those Sunak has put in proper SoS portfolios ahead of Penny, is surely in merit, isn’t it?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

It appears that everyone else on PB is rather more fond of their kids than I am.

I mean, they're ok and all. I wouldn't return them if I'd got them on Amazon (so long as I hadn't paid much for them). Mostly, though, they seem to regard me as Uber driver they don't need to tip. Or even, come to mention it, thank.

They never do their chores without being reminded about 20 times. They were responsible for all of our animals, which they totally fail to look after. They drag me along to Taylor Swift concerts.

I mean, I get the whole "continuation of the DNA line" and all. And they can be moderately enjoyable company if they come off their phones for five minutes.

But all in all: M'eh.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

Of course not.
    We're very fond of both of you.

Did anyone tell Sunil about the lunar railway yet ?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

I mean, they're ok and all. I wouldn't return them if I'd got them on Amazon (so long as I hadn't paid much for them). Mostly, though, they seem to regard me as Uber driver they don't need to tip. Or even, come to mention it, thank.

They never do their chores without being reminded about 20 times. They were responsible for all of our animals, which they totally fail to look after. They drag me along to Taylor Swift concerts.

I mean, I get the whole "continuation of the DNA line" and all. And they can be moderately enjoyable company if they come off their phones for five minutes.

They get better as they get older (you can use them for a lift home from the pub).

However they then want you to do things like help decorate their new home (and gift them a large part of the deposit).
  • Options
    TimS said:

GONAD - government of nationally approved denominations.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 528
    Leon said:

That last chat was a bit depressing so here is something genuinely and wonderfully uplifting

Elon Musk’s Neuralink gives a quadriplegic guy the chance to interact with a computer, and thus the world: a form of telekinesis. The joy on the guy’s face is 🥂👍🍷👏👏👏👏👏

He's not developing this technology to help people. That's PR.

Also some heavy-duty game is being played with the use of the name "Telepathy".

Musk sees it as a step onwards from this preliminary stage we're in now in which most people's almost-permanent interface between their fleshspace self and planet digital is their smartphone. He has said as much.

Personally I think Muskologists pay too little attention to Paypal.

I imagine he is dashing to keep up with China, with "X" as the "superapp" hanger on to the tail of WeChat. Chinese people in China are only allowed WeChat accounts if they link them to their bank accounts. Most people in China haven't bought anything either with cash or a bank card for years.

It's good to see you looking at implant tech. This is far more important than AI.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

First like Arsenal.

Post it while you can. Another 11 days, and who knows when you can post that again.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

GONAD - government of nationally approved denominations.
    There's a danger Nadine Dorries would misinterpret that as an invitation to high office :open_mouth:
  • Options
    "Apple 'locks competitors out' of market, says US attorney general"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-68629402
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,581
    Question for Smithson the Younger -

So what is your take, as denizen of El Lay, re: the bombshell story about MLB mega-star Shohei Ohtani of the Dodgers, and his long-time mini-me translator?

The translator was just fired by the Dodgers, and Ohtani's lawyers are alleging that he (the translator) defrauded the ballplayer of "millions" via illegal sports betting.

Certainly the team has many reasons to defend their star player. To be precise, 10 million over ten years.

MY question is this - was the translator betting for himself? OR for someone else?

As in, say it ain't so, Oh!

For reference (for clueless Brits):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoeless_Joe_Jackson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rose
  • Options
    I have been passed a copy of the Telegraph from next week. Apparently two well-known columnists may endorse Reform in the locals. There's already been some terrible shitfighting at both the Carlton and the Garrick. One is given to understand that it's no longer only at Pratt's that Mr Sunak is known as "George". Sources close to other sources say that Penny is being blackmailed into making a challenge for the leadership rather as Jim Hackett once was.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

When my daughter was oh, about eight or nine, she cooked us a pizza for dinner, from scratch. I think it took her about three or four hours. She spent about half an hour finely chopping an onion, etc. And it was absolutely delicious.

I think it's time your kids had a performance review.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Musk sees it as a step onwards from this preliminary stage we're in now in which most people's almost-permanent interface between their fleshspace self and planet digital is their smartphone. He has said as much.

I imagine he is dashing to keep up with China, with "X" as the "superapp" hanger on to the tail of WeChat. Chinese people in China are only allowed WeChat accounts if they link them to their bank accounts. Most people in China haven't bought anything either with cash or a bank card for years.

It's good to see you looking at implant tech. This is far more important than AI.
    Yep: China is genuinely cashless. The only people that ever use ATMs are tourists.

But on the other hand, no, implant technology is not more important than AI.
  • Options
    This impeachment is less lively than a Norwegian Blue.

Swalwell lists the top 10 reasons why it’s over for impeachment

Reason 1: Fox News isn’t even carrying this today..

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1770563934396813576
  • Options

So what is your take, as denizen of El Lay, re: the bombshell story about MLB mega-star Shohei Ohtani of the Dodgers, and his long-time mini-me translator?

The translator was just fired by the Dodgers, and Ohtani's lawyers are alleging that he (the translator) defrauded the ballplayer of "millions" via illegal sports betting.

Certainly the team has many reasons to defend their star player. To be precise, 10 million over ten years.

MY question is this - was the translator betting for himself? OR for someone else?

We all watched Field of Dreams.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Yep: China is genuinely cashless. The only people that ever use ATMs are tourists.

But on the other hand, no, implant technology is not more important than AI.
    But in China the burning of spirit money (joss paper), including "hell money" denominated in USD or yuan, continues - anthropologically highly significant IMO.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

When my daughter was oh, about eight or nine, she cooked us a pizza for dinner, from scratch. I think it took her about three or four hours. She spent about half an hour finely chopping an onion, etc. And it was absolutely delicious.

They probably say the same about dad...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Much better flick IMHO, based on the "Black Sox" scandal of 1919 World Series

Eight Men Out
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Men_Out
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

They probably say the same about dad...
    Oh, I did. This is what my daughter wrote:

"Strengths: moderately reliable Uber service. Weaknesses: seems to regard homework as important, refuses to lie to get me out of PE, keeps asking me about my day when I'm obviously busy on my phone."
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    I’ve just caught up with this poll.

The thing is, under Sunak the Conservatives are heading for a crushing defeat which may well be unlike anything seen in our lifetimes. It may not be Canadageddon but it looks like being an absolute shellacking.

So, will the Party accept their death like a weary bison eventually worn down by the wolf pack? Are they going to keel over and accept the inevitable?

Or will they decide that with a new leader they could save 50, maybe 100, MPs and so have a better platform in Parliament and the country for the future?
  • Options

I'm sorry, but this is a story I know nothing about.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited March 21

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Oh No, bad news for SKS. Owen Jones has quit Labour after 24 years.

expect a polling slump.

I like and rate OJ and I'm sorry to hear this. IMO he should have waited to see what Labour do in government. If he's right that in office they end up changing nothing of substance in favour of working people, and worse not even trying, I'll be quitting the party too (far more serious for SKS than Owen leaving) but there's no way I'm going to pretend there's enough evidence to conclude that now. I'll leave this spooky 'crystal balling' to his sour grapes critics of left and right - most of whom are pissed off purely because he's winning.
    Surely no one can rate Jones these days? He's really gone off the end of the pier. Last seen questioning if Hamas were rapists as he didn't actually get to see the gory act. He revealed who he was back in 2018 when his defence of laying a wreath for brutal terrorists was that 'no one was killed' by it. That's not to mention his attitude towards women who disagree with him. A textbook misogynist. Labour is so much better off without someone whose morals long ago went into the toilet due to twisted ideological obsessions.

If Owen's leaving, it's a sign Labour is doing something right and isn't as tolerant of the despicable, genuinely troubling side of the far left that Jones has long been a cheerleader for.
    I've followed his output for a long time (books, press, internet, tv) and found it (still do) principled, intelligent and well-expressed. Not all of it but mostly. I think it's mainly his effectiveness as a polemicist, and his uppity urban way of speaking, that irritates people who don't share his (admittedly quite hard left) politics.

I also find that lots of those who hate Jones go by things that others who hate him say about him rather than by the source material of what he's actually said and written. The risible misogyny charge is a prime example.
    What really changed my view of Jones from someone who at one time admired him, and thought his heart was in the right place even when I disagreed, was his behaviour on antisemitism. Obviously there were and are disagreements on the left about the issue, but I found Jones' behaviour dishonest to the point it was no accident or a good faith disagreement. You simply could not defend the things he defended and pose as someone interested in "fighting antisemitism" - especially when he'd go out of his way to shout down those who were making objections as not doing so in good faith.

He's also earned a well-founded reputation as an online bully who'll find accounts who say things that are less than complimentary about him or the left, and flag them up to followers to abuse. He knows this happened and people pointed out to him and carries on doing it. Most recently doing so with someone who has a relative being held hostage by Hamas. Numerous women have complained about his behaviour too. If he had decency he'd have long ago realised the unpleasant impacts of his actions and apologised for and changed that, even while defending his underlying views.

There's a parallel perhaps with the Tory right - in that he got everything that in theory he wanted (the left in charge of Labour in his case), and it's driven him a bit mad and into a toxic rabbit hole when the land of milk, honey and electoral success did not arrive and people pointed out their objections to the more sinister or destructive attitudes there.

It's in some ways got a Greek tragedy about it. He's someone that could have been an interesting force for good - even if you disagree with him often. But his ego and self-righteousness are so huge that he's essentially destroyed the credibility he once had as a critical voice from the left. He is now just a bitter individual who can't handle his own spiral towards mainstream irrelevance, towards a GB News grifter type figure with a hyper-engaged online audience that gives a degree of power within a certain social media ecosystem, but is radioactive outside that and destructive to the causes it claims to want to champion. The sad thing is he'll likely get worse as that section of the left comes more to resemble a left-wing version of QAnon in its conspiracist beliefs rather than the old left of Labour.
    I simply do not recognize this from what I've seen of his output (which is quite a lot).

Eg on antisemitism, to my eyes he's been one of the best as regards the people associated with Corbyn. There's a line to be walked, recognizing there is a real problem with it on parts of the left whilst at the same time combatting how it was exaggerated and weaponized by people with an agenda not of fighting anti-jewish prejudice but of promoting prejudice against the left, and he walked that line admirably. Many didn't but he did.

Misogynist and a bully? I don't think so. His style is hard-hitting but he doesn't particularly target women or the vulnerable. Of course, social media being what it is, some of his 'followers' might sometimes do this. I don't know. I don't follow his followers.

Bitter? Again, I don't see it. He's doing ok in his chosen field. Doesn't come over to me as massively angry or frustrated. His style hasn't changed that much. Motormouth, assertive, but not obnoxious. And an absolute angel and a gentleman and a scholar compared to many others on the hard left and to literally everyone on the hard right.
    My son is a huge fan of OJ. I will have to persuade him not to follow him and end up voting Green. Regardless of OJ's virtues (and I'm not against him, though not as pro as you), I reckon it's pretty shoddy of him at this stage to leave Labour so publicly rather than fight within the party for what he believes. It won't have much impact, but socialists should be entirely focused just on getting the Tories out this year. Anything that distracts from that is poor.

Ideological battles within the left should be postponed until after the GE, I think. I'm disappointed with Owen.
    He’s also made a silly error - professionally

Labour is about to take power with a big majority. He could and should have stayed in the party to be an influential voice from the Left, steering things somewhat, even if he didn’t get most of what he wanted

Now he will be dismissed as some frivolous turncoat who ran off to another party at the crucial moment, and his views will be ignored. I imagine the Guardian is quite annoyed

i am reminded of Matthew Parris, who was driven so insane by Brexit he quit the Tories and joined the Lib Dems, and lost any of the influence he had over Tory politics, when he was before a respected figure with a definite Tory following

Owen Jones is not worthy to polish Parris's shoes. Parris stood for election, got elected, including becoming close to the PM. You can argue he's wrong on the EU, but he achieved.

In comparison, OJ's just an eloquent loudmouth with zero substance. An empty vessel.
    Parris acted the twat on Brexit. A real spectacle of clownishness - accusing the British of being stupid and racist, and then campaigning to overturn their vote, or even just Revoke it. UGH. Fuck him

I’ve never paid half as much attention to him, since. Everyone who campaigned for a second vote should be drummed out of public life
    I hate to break it to you, but we have elections here every four to five years. The electorate can, and often do, change their mind.

It's called a democracy I know you have a fondness for third-world countries where democracy is frowned upon and the girls are cheap, but the idea a second vote is somehow wrong is the sign of an ultra-low IQ.

As it happens, I'd argue that Brexit isn't a major factor facing the country at the moment, and a second vote would be a distraction from the more important issues facing the country. But given how Brexit has failed, perhaps those who called for the first vote should be drummed out of public life? ;)
    The difference between the normal democracy you describe as happening every four or five years via General Elections, and the demand for a second referendum aka ‘People’s Vote’, is the latter was campaigned for by the losing team before the winners were able to enact the result of the previous vote; worse in fact, the losers made sure the first vote was unable to be enacted, then used the stalemate they created as evidence that a second vote was necessary.

Sir Keir himself was elected on a pledge to reflect the referendum result in 2017, then spent two years cockblocking and filibustering as hard as he could as Shadow Brexit Secretary to prevent the result being respected, before calling for a second go at it.

The absurd thing about it all is that now, when it would be perfectly legitimate to hold a second referendum, or even have rejoining the EU in a manifesto, he is trumpeting the positives of leaving to Red Wallers
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

• Cybertruck: Armoured Personnel Vehicle
    • Raptor-9: ICBM
    • Starship: Orbital Bombardment Vehicle (Earth)
    • Starship HLS: Troop transport and spaceborne assault vehicle
    • Boring flamethrowers: personal defence weapon
    • Starlink: information control satellites
    • Neuralink: enslavement and pacification device
    • Optimus: drone troops and terminators

The guy is building Hydra in plain sight... :)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited March 21

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

1 - Does it run in the family? :smile:
    2 - Apply the "chop your own" technique to nutmeg.

PS Having no sproglets, my position is entirely objective and should be trusted.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Eight Men Out
    He's even popular in Korea.
    https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2024/03/113_370955.html
  • Options
    These really are lamentable polls, there can't be very many times the governing party has plumbed these sort of depths, and of course if there is Reform crossover then there's no doubt yet another shitstorm will break out. Although the Tories will recover somewhat as the election approaches (well that is what you'd expect anyway); I really see no routes for their recovery. They are done for.
  • Options

These really are lamentable polls, there can't be very many times the governing party has plumbed these sort of depths, and of course if there is Reform crossover then there's no doubt yet another shitstorm will break out. Although the Tories will recover somewhat as the election approaches (well that is what you'd expect anyway); I really see no routes for their recovery. They are done for.

They were polling around about this level five years ago as well. But I agree, it’s difficult to imagine they can recover again as they did before - there’s no totemic issue to coalesce around, no slightly risky opposition leader to demonise, and no charismatic leader to call upon
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Virginia Beavert, Who Preserved a Language the U.S. Tried to Erase, Dies at 102
    A linguist from the Yakama Nation, she wrote dictionaries and helped build the infrastructure to teach a language that wasn’t traditionally written down
    https://www.wsj.com/us-news/education/virginia-beavert-who-preserved-a-language-the-u-s-tried-to-erase-dies-at-102-41b1464f?mod=books_news_article_pos2

“The most important thing is speaking and singing a lullaby to children when they are young. In this way the language never leaves the child.”
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Do you perhance know anything about the alleged bookie at the center of this story, Mathew Bowyer?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/explaining-gambling-scandal-after-shohei-ohtanis-interpreter-accused-of-stealing-millions-from-dodgers-star/\

Asking for a friend, due to your hereditary ties to the international bookmaking fraternity.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Eight Men Out
    Shoeless Joe?
  • Options
    If there is one thing I’ve learned in this long and richly coloured life, it is, ultimately and quite profoundly, this: never get a haircut in Palomino, Colombia
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Heathener said:

The thing is, under Sunak the Conservatives are heading for a crushing defeat which may well be unlike anything seen in our lifetimes. It may not be Canadageddon but it looks like being an absolute shellacking.

So, will the Party accept their death like a weary bison eventually worn down by the wolf pack? Are they going to keel over and accept the inevitable?

Or will they decide that with a new leader they could save 50, maybe 100, MPs and so have a better platform in Parliament and the country for the future?

Getting a bit ahead of yourself, arn’t you? If England win the Euro’s and GB has a great Olympic’s, this polling can stand on its head.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

Hmmm

Five whole tubes would be a lot to eat in one go, but I'm sure I'm up to the challenge.
  • Options
    isam said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

kinabalu said:

Taz said:

Oh No, bad news for SKS. Owen Jones has quit Labour after 24 years.

expect a polling slump.

I like and rate OJ and I'm sorry to hear this. IMO he should have waited to see what Labour do in government. If he's right that in office they end up changing nothing of substance in favour of working people, and worse not even trying, I'll be quitting the party too (far more serious for SKS than Owen leaving) but there's no way I'm going to pretend there's enough evidence to conclude that now. I'll leave this spooky 'crystal balling' to his sour grapes critics of left and right - most of whom are pissed off purely because he's winning.
    Surely no one can rate Jones these days? He's really gone off the end of the pier. Last seen questioning if Hamas were rapists as he didn't actually get to see the gory act. He revealed who he was back in 2018 when his defence of laying a wreath for brutal terrorists was that 'no one was killed' by it. That's not to mention his attitude towards women who disagree with him. A textbook misogynist. Labour is so much better off without someone whose morals long ago went into the toilet due to twisted ideological obsessions.

If Owen's leaving, it's a sign Labour is doing something right and isn't as tolerant of the despicable, genuinely troubling side of the far left that Jones has long been a cheerleader for.
    I've followed his output for a long time (books, press, internet, tv) and found it (still do) principled, intelligent and well-expressed. Not all of it but mostly. I think it's mainly his effectiveness as a polemicist, and his uppity urban way of speaking, that irritates people who don't share his (admittedly quite hard left) politics.

I also find that lots of those who hate Jones go by things that others who hate him say about him rather than by the source material of what he's actually said and written. The risible misogyny charge is a prime example.
    What really changed my view of Jones from someone who at one time admired him, and thought his heart was in the right place even when I disagreed, was his behaviour on antisemitism. Obviously there were and are disagreements on the left about the issue, but I found Jones' behaviour dishonest to the point it was no accident or a good faith disagreement. You simply could not defend the things he defended and pose as someone interested in "fighting antisemitism" - especially when he'd go out of his way to shout down those who were making objections as not doing so in good faith.

He's also earned a well-founded reputation as an online bully who'll find accounts who say things that are less than complimentary about him or the left, and flag them up to followers to abuse. He knows this happened and people pointed out to him and carries on doing it. Most recently doing so with someone who has a relative being held hostage by Hamas. Numerous women have complained about his behaviour too. If he had decency he'd have long ago realised the unpleasant impacts of his actions and apologised for and changed that, even while defending his underlying views.

There's a parallel perhaps with the Tory right - in that he got everything that in theory he wanted (the left in charge of Labour in his case), and it's driven him a bit mad and into a toxic rabbit hole when the land of milk, honey and electoral success did not arrive and people pointed out their objections to the more sinister or destructive attitudes there.

It's in some ways got a Greek tragedy about it. He's someone that could have been an interesting force for good - even if you disagree with him often. But his ego and self-righteousness are so huge that he's essentially destroyed the credibility he once had as a critical voice from the left. He is now just a bitter individual who can't handle his own spiral towards mainstream irrelevance, towards a GB News grifter type figure with a hyper-engaged online audience that gives a degree of power within a certain social media ecosystem, but is radioactive outside that and destructive to the causes it claims to want to champion. The sad thing is he'll likely get worse as that section of the left comes more to resemble a left-wing version of QAnon in its conspiracist beliefs rather than the old left of Labour.
    I simply do not recognize this from what I've seen of his output (which is quite a lot).

Eg on antisemitism, to my eyes he's been one of the best as regards the people associated with Corbyn. There's a line to be walked, recognizing there is a real problem with it on parts of the left whilst at the same time combatting how it was exaggerated and weaponized by people with an agenda not of fighting anti-jewish prejudice but of promoting prejudice against the left, and he walked that line admirably. Many didn't but he did.

Misogynist and a bully? I don't think so. His style is hard-hitting but he doesn't particularly target women or the vulnerable. Of course, social media being what it is, some of his 'followers' might sometimes do this. I don't know. I don't follow his followers.

Bitter? Again, I don't see it. He's doing ok in his chosen field. Doesn't come over to me as massively angry or frustrated. His style hasn't changed that much. Motormouth, assertive, but not obnoxious. And an absolute angel and a gentleman and a scholar compared to many others on the hard left and to literally everyone on the hard right.
    My son is a huge fan of OJ. I will have to persuade him not to follow him and end up voting Green. Regardless of OJ's virtues (and I'm not against him, though not as pro as you), I reckon it's pretty shoddy of him at this stage to leave Labour so publicly rather than fight within the party for what he believes. It won't have much impact, but socialists should be entirely focused just on getting the Tories out this year. Anything that distracts from that is poor.

Ideological battles within the left should be postponed until after the GE, I think. I'm disappointed with Owen.
    He’s also made a silly error - professionally

Labour is about to take power with a big majority. He could and should have stayed in the party to be an influential voice from the Left, steering things somewhat, even if he didn’t get most of what he wanted

Now he will be dismissed as some frivolous turncoat who ran off to another party at the crucial moment, and his views will be ignored. I imagine the Guardian is quite annoyed

i am reminded of Matthew Parris, who was driven so insane by Brexit he quit the Tories and joined the Lib Dems, and lost any of the influence he had over Tory politics, when he was before a respected figure with a definite Tory following

Owen Jones is not worthy to polish Parris's shoes. Parris stood for election, got elected, including becoming close to the PM. You can argue he's wrong on the EU, but he achieved.

In comparison, OJ's just an eloquent loudmouth with zero substance. An empty vessel.
    Parris acted the twat on Brexit. A real spectacle of clownishness - accusing the British of being stupid and racist, and then campaigning to overturn their vote, or even just Revoke it. UGH. Fuck him

I’ve never paid half as much attention to him, since. Everyone who campaigned for a second vote should be drummed out of public life
    I hate to break it to you, but we have elections here every four to five years. The electorate can, and often do, change their mind.

It's called a democracy I know you have a fondness for third-world countries where democracy is frowned upon and the girls are cheap, but the idea a second vote is somehow wrong is the sign of an ultra-low IQ.

As it happens, I'd argue that Brexit isn't a major factor facing the country at the moment, and a second vote would be a distraction from the more important issues facing the country. But given how Brexit has failed, perhaps those who called for the first vote should be drummed out of public life? ;)
    The difference between the normal democracy you describe as happening every four or five years via General Elections, and the demand for a second referendum aka ‘People’s Vote’, is the latter was campaigned for by the losing team before the winners were able to enact the result of the previous vote; worse in fact, the losers made sure the first vote was unable to be enacted, then used the stalemate they created as evidence that a second vote was necessary.

Sir Keir himself was elected on a pledge to reflect the referendum result in 2017, then spent two years cockblocking and filibustering as hard as he could as Shadow Brexit Secretary to prevent the result being respected, before calling for a second go at it.

The absurd thing about it all is that now, when it would be perfectly legitimate to hold a second referendum, or even have rejoining the EU in a manifesto, he is trumpeting the positives of leaving to Red Wallers
    I disagree. The point is that 'Brexit' was impossible to implement well, because the leave campaign promised everything to everyone - i..e lied. And trying to base anything on lies is really difficult.

I see little reason why the fact it has not been enacted is not a reason to hold another vote on it, given what had been learnt *after* it had been enacted.

Personally, I think a second vote is unnecessary and damaging - a decision was made, and we have to live with it. But I wouldn't say people who call for one are undemocratic.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Nigelb said:

A linguist from the Yakama Nation, she wrote dictionaries and helped build the infrastructure to teach a language that wasn’t traditionally written down
    https://www.wsj.com/us-news/education/virginia-beavert-who-preserved-a-language-the-u-s-tried-to-erase-dies-at-102-41b1464f?mod=books_news_article_pos2

“The most important thing is speaking and singing a lullaby to children when they are young. In this way the language never leaves the child.”

I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth I could speak Welsh, due to having had a Welsh-speaking nanny, who stayed with her into her teenage years.
    Don’t know how true it is, but I’m sure someone here will know.
  • Options
    Thought experiment.

Had Tory MPs not deposed Johnson as PM, but instead had stood by him until the electorate had voted against him in a recall by-election, following his suspension from the Commons for lying about potatoes during Covid, would they be doing better or worse now?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth I could speak Welsh, due to having had a Welsh-speaking nanny, who stayed with her into her teenage years.
    She was a Tudor. She was Welsh. Certainly Henry VII spoke Welsh
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Eight Men Out
    Shoeless Joe?
    LOL.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

Of course not.

He's not happy he can't travel on it. He's been mooning about it for weeks.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

It really is extraordinary what has happened in this parliament. The Tories, to use one of their slogans, are almost exactly ‘back to square one’. That they are really considering, and with some justification, choosing a fourth leader in less than two years is just completely mind blowing in the
    context of domestic politics
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Do you perhance know anything about the alleged bookie at the center of this story, Mathew Bowyer?

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/explaining-gambling-scandal-after-shohei-ohtanis-interpreter-accused-of-stealing-millions-from-dodgers-star/\

Asking for a friend, due to your hereditary ties to the international bookmaking fraternity.
    Seems unlikely Ohtani himself has anything to do with it - he's on about $70m a year for the next decade (and probably as much again in endorsements over time).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Wiki claims that not only could she speak Welsh, she could speak Cornish. Find that quite hard to believe. Why on earth would she learn Cornish? It was a tiny dying language even then
  • Options
    Looks like Susie Wolff is suing the FIA:

https://twitter.com/Susie_Wolff/status/1770554247899226162

(She is involved in the FIA, and is also the wife of Mercedes team manager Toto Wolff.

Lewis Hamilton has come out and rather strongly backed her. The FIA will not like this...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

It is quite noteworthy how many monarchs seem to have spoken several languages.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

By coincidence, last Friday US federal court issued ruling on WA State legislative redistricting case, to require new districts to redress mis-representative of Latino voters in the Yakima Valley, that also directly impacts the Yakama Nation. (Note difference in spelling; pronunciation is same: YAK-a-maw.)

At request of Yakima judge ordered minor tweeks to proposed legislative district boundaries, to keep tribal lands, including their reservation AND also traditional hunting lands AND fishing sites, within the same leg district.

Yours truly has been crunching new lines, and voter reg lists, and in the process encountered some interesting Native American surnames of voters in Yakima County.

For example, Eagleheart, Lamebull, Blackwolf and (my personal favorite) Afraid of Bear.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    The whole point of the Brexit referendum was to stop Reform like parties doing well in the polls.

People say Truss is a sleeper Lib Dem agent. Maybe it's really Cameron.
  • Options
    edited March 21
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

Of course not.

It would eclipse his current achievements, though.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Getting a bit ahead of yourself, arn’t you? If England win the Euro’s and GB has a great Olympic’s, this polling can stand on its head.
    Euros might (might!) have an effect.

Nobody really cares about the Olympics.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Wiki claims that not only could she speak Welsh, she could speak Cornish. Find that quite hard to believe. Why on earth would she learn Cornish? It was a tiny dying language even then
    Not sure about Welsh, but she could certainly speak Latin, Greek, French, Italian and possibly Hebrew and Spanish. So she was an able linguist.
  • Options
    edited March 21
    It sticks in the craw to type words that might possibly boost Tory morale, but why is there a general assumption that a polling crossover with Reform would be of such earth-shaking significance for a general election?

Remember The Independent Group, renamed Change UK, with Chuka Umunna? They got 14% in one YouGov poll.

The Tories finished FIFTH in the EU election in May 2019 - they even got beaten by eco nuts - and then they won the general election in December.

The only real question is do I receive the payout on my bet on Penny as next PM before or after the locals. I bought at 27.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

Hmmm.

Of course not.

You're not treating this topic with enough gravity. You're sounding like a loon.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Do we have any intel on her command of Cornish?
  • Options
    Macron is quoted by politico as saying Ukraine is in trouble and “could fall quickly”

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1770843184068776324?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Options
    edited March 21
    NEW from @IpsosUK: Worst favourable ratings for The Conservatives/Sunak since GE19.

58% unfavourable towards Conservatives. 19% favourable. Net -39. Previous worst -36 in Oct '22.

57% unfavourable towards Rishi Sunak. 19% favourable. Net -38. Previous worst -34 last month.

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1770838451077710209?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q