Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The 2013 locals so far: the John Curtice verdict

12346»

Comments

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Paul Francis @PaulOnPolitics
    Rumours that Swale may see another UKip gain. Yes it has - Swale West. Great shock for Cllr Keith Ferrin - long standing Con #kccelection

But last seat retained by Tories - is KCC a Tory hold? IIRC they need 32 seats.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    MikeK said:
    To be fair that's mostly due to the twittarti being nasty about UKIP. But the more they talk about them, the more they seep into peoples minds.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    MikeK said:
    Hi Mike.

I think you can start printing that fiver which you will owe me soon. :-)
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    SeanT said:

When will we see a Tory MP do exactly this?

Come on Nadine!
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    "Whatever the final break down of shares of the vote and swings, it is clearly Nigel Farage’s day. His party is dominating media coverage, effectively ramping up the idea that this is some kind of national insurgency and that a bomb has been detonated beneath the old party establishment. That makes for a day-long, free party political broadcast for UKIP – even the bits where MPs from other parties are attacking them."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/05/local-elections-seven-early-thoughts-what-they-mean

UKIP poll boost ahead.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:
    Hi Mike.

Fiver and a hug and kisses are due you if you reach 150. ;)

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Thought I'd spam the spreadsheet I'm updating. Consistently beating the BBC for declarations!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An6GzfHRNpYQdEhrZ3V5a0VSRWNEM3dyNktCQm1RSlE#gid=0
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:
    Hi Mike.

Fiver and a hug and kisses are due you if you reach 150. ;)

[PTP prays silently for 149....]

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    SeanT said:

I also get the feeling, now that UKIP have established themselves (in votes, if not seats) they're going to be as difficult to get rid off as herpes.

I'm assuming that that means you think they'll be here to stay, not personally being an expert in STDs. If so, I'm far from convinced that it's necessarily the case and depends very much on how things pan out.

UKIP are performing spectacularly well not because of years of toil on the ground but because of a national swing based party on what the national party is, and to a greater extent, on what they're not. This is more akin to the Greens in 1989 rather than the slow but relentless rise of the Liberals or SNP. At the moment.

This is rubbish. UKIP have been doing very well in Europe - the second most important election after the GE - for about a decade. The Greens were a flash in the pan - they came and went. UKIP have been a rising tide.

Moreover, UKIP's base in Strasbourg gives them a political heartland: they will not do badly in European elections until we have a referendum. So their continuing salience is almost assured.
    But that's precisely the point: until now, UKIP has been a single-issue (or single-election) party. Today marks the point where they have jumped into the mainstream. That they will continue to do well in European elections, subject to a major change in Britain's relationship or attitude to the EU, is certain; that they will remain in the mainstream is not.

That said, and as I said in my original post, UKIP *are* here to stay unless the three parties can provide positive reasons to pull back the type of voters that voted for them in 1992 and 1997 and are no longer doing so - and are increasingly finding UKIP an attractive alternative.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    SeanT said:

When will we see a Tory MP do exactly this? -

KM Sittingbourne ‏@KMSittingbourne 3m
    Adrian Crowther wins Sheppey for UKIP after defecting from Tories. Tory Ken Pugh comes second

That is a question worthy of a thread in its own right. IMO, the prospects of a retiring / deselected MP defecting are high - better than evens. The prospects of an MP who seeks re-election defecting are much lower, not least because UKIP said recently that they wouldn't challenge MPs who were unambiguous Better Off Out-ers. Whether these elections will cause UKIP to revise that policy is open to question. It's a choice between attempting to force sitting MPs into supporting UKIPs flagship policy and running as big a slate as possible.

If I was advising Farage, I'd make my number one political objective getting into the leaders' debates in 2015 and one strategy to doing that would be to run MPs in every constituency in the country. For all that the 'stand back for EU Independence' makes sense to a second-tier party, these elections have proven UKIPs ability to become a first-tier party and if they want to be treated like one, they need to behave like one.
  • Options
    "UKIP to beat Labour on vote share?! "@BBCPolitics: Latest BBC estimate based on key wards: Con 35%, UKIP 22%, Lab 20%, LibDem 14%""

https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/330283352349347840
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Whats going to happen if UKIP beat labour in vote share ??

LOL.....
  • Options

SeanT said:

When will we see a Tory MP do exactly this? -

KM Sittingbourne ‏@KMSittingbourne 3m
    Adrian Crowther wins Sheppey for UKIP after defecting from Tories. Tory Ken Pugh comes second

If I was advising Farage, I'd make my number one political objective getting into the leaders' debates in 2015 and one strategy to doing that would be to run MPs in every constituency in the country. For all that the 'stand back for EU Independence' makes sense to a second-tier party, these elections have proven UKIPs ability to become a first-tier party and if they want to be treated like one, they need to behave like one.
    One election at a time is all UKIP need to worry about. Next year is the EU Parliament elections, but also a huge crop of local election seats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2010

The closer we come to 2015, the more desperate the other parties will be to appeal to UKIP's supporters.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cambridgeshire CC ‏@CambsCC 10m
    Conservative Mike Rouse takes Ely North and East from Lib Dems #cccelection
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,974
    Going back to the East/West divide, it's noteable that UKIP didn't make the breakthrough in the South West that I expected. They won 5 in Cornwall, 4 in Devon, 3 in Somerset, and 1 in Dorset, and the Conservatives held all three of their councils.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Plato said:

Another seat for Kippers in ESx - that's 3 now... Ouse Valley East - beat Tory by 300 votes. 31% of the total vote.

Plato, what are you these days ? Blue or Purple ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    rcs1000 - They may not have been bailed out, but investment banks like Bear Stearns and Merrill Lynch were taken over and Lehmans went under
This discussion has been closed.