Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Even Reform don’t want toxic Lee Anderson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited March 12 in General
Even Reform don’t want toxic Lee Anderson – politicalbetting.com

Ben Habib suggests Lee Anderson, made a Tory deputy chair by Rishi Sunak, isn’t of sufficient calibre to be a Reform candidate pic.twitter.com/RBGGBERiXI

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141
    The door isn't slammed shut though. If he offered to jump ship I don't believe they'd turn down a defection. In a week or two.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    Reform UK showing they are serious and ready to govern.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited February 27
    For all our sakes it would be great if the tory party of @TSE were, indeed, the tory party.

Alas, it’s not the case. There are plenty on the vocal right for whom Lager Lee is totemic:

'Grassroots Conservative supporters have called Rishi Sunak a “snake” over Lee Anderson’s suspension as MPs on the Tory right said he should be given a route back in.

In leaked WhatsApp messages obtained by the Guardian, members of the Conservative Democratic Organisation (CDO), which was founded by disgruntled Tories after Boris Johnson and then Liz Truss were ousted, attacked the prime minister for kicking Anderson out of the parliamentary party.

Several of the activists endorsed Anderson’s comments and some went further in decrying “the threat of Islam”.’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/26/tory-supporters-lash-out-at-snake-sunak-over-lee-anderson-suspension

I was chatting with a tory friend yesterday about all of this. She thinks the whole lot of them (Badenoch, Braverman, Anderson etc. etc.) should be booted out of the party so they can join Reform. But we then got talking about when it all started and who is responsible.

A lot of this goes back to Boris who deliberately stoked the right wing rabble with its ‘anti-woke’ hatred, but I suggested that Boris is too dilettantish to devise such a thing.

At which point we both settled on Dominic Cummings.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    FPT:
    Taz said:

Newcastle council proceed with its assault on the elderly and marginalised in society by forcing through Cashless car parks. Great if you have a smartphone. Sadly many do not.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-council-claims-not-sustainable-28691686

I had a bit of a giggle at Stansted Airport on Sunday. I arrived to pick Mrs J and son up, timing it so I arrived shortly after their plane landed. Went to the orange short-stay car park, picked them up, and after a loo break, was back out in seventeen minutes. The car park cots £10 for half an hour; £18 for an hour.

Except the car park ticket machine would not accept my ticket. Another was out of order. A third accepted my ticket, but was cash only. Ditto the fourth and fifth. We only had twenties, and it would not accept those as it did not give change. Eventually we risked it and drove to the exit, where fortunately chip-and-pin worked. But we'd gone over the half-hour mark, so it cost us an extra eight quid.

For the extortionate amount they charge, you'd think they could actually ensure the machines worked properly...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    "Manhunt for 'acid thugs' after gang including woman hurl 'corrosive substance' over two boys at London Elm Park Tube station before fleeing amid spate of terrifying attacks including Clapham suspect Abdul Ezedi's assault on mum and kids"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13128971/Manhunt-acid-attackers-corrosive-substance-victim-London-Elm-Park-Tube-station.html
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,284
    Heathener said:

For all our sakes it would be great if the tory party of @TSE were, indeed, the tory party.

Alas, it’s not the case. There are plenty on the vocal right for whom Lager Lee is totemic:

'Grassroots Conservative supporters have called Rishi Sunak a “snake” over Lee Anderson’s suspension as MPs on the Tory right said he should be given a route back in.

In leaked WhatsApp messages obtained by the Guardian, members of the Conservative Democratic Organisation (CDO), which was founded by disgruntled Tories after Boris Johnson and then Liz Truss were ousted, attacked the prime minister for kicking Anderson out of the parliamentary party.

Several of the activists endorsed Anderson’s comments and some went further in decrying “the threat of Islam”.’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/26/tory-supporters-lash-out-at-snake-sunak-over-lee-anderson-suspension

I was chatting with a tory friend yesterday about all of this. She thinks the whole lot of them (Badenoch, Braverman, Anderson etc. etc.) should be booted out of the party so they can join Reform. But we then got talking about when it all started and who is responsible.

A lot of this goes back to Boris who deliberately stoked the right wing rabble with its ‘anti-woke’ hatred, but I suggested that Boris is too dilettantish to devise such a thing.

The clown wanted (needed is probably closer, given his paranoia and other inadequacies) people who were loyal, and got rid of most of those with any independence and intelligence. And had the same effect of many voters and hence the party’s support base.

Hence you were right the first time.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,184

FPT:

Taz said:

Newcastle council proceed with its assault on the elderly and marginalised in society by forcing through Cashless car parks. Great if you have a smartphone. Sadly many do not.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-council-claims-not-sustainable-28691686

I had a bit of a giggle at Stansted Airport on Sunday. I arrived to pick Mrs J and son up, timing it so I arrived shortly after their plane landed. Went to the orange short-stay car park, picked them up, and after a loo break, was back out in seventeen minutes. The car park cots £10 for half an hour; £18 for an hour.

Except the car park ticket machine would not accept my ticket. Another was out of order. A third accepted my ticket, but was cash only. Ditto the fourth and fifth. We only had twenties, and it would not accept those as it did not give change. Eventually we risked it and drove to the exit, where fortunately chip-and-pin worked. But we'd gone over the half-hour mark, so it cost us an extra eight quid.

For the extortionate amount they charge, you'd think they could actually ensure the machines worked properly...
    Airport short stay parking costs are astronomical.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796
    edited February 27
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-finds-fundamental-concerns-in-housebuilding-market

"Speculative Private Development: the report found another significant reason behind under delivery of homes are the limitations of private speculative development. The evidence shows that private developers produce houses at a rate at which they can be sold without needing to reduce their prices, rather than diversifying the types and numbers of homes they build to meet the needs of different communities (for example providing more affordable housing)."

This is why I think increasing supply through the planning system in the hope of reducing prices won't result in more homes being built, unless you create more capacity to build housing in the public/non-profit sector.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,477
    edited February 27
    Taz said:
    As I’ve been saying for weeks, Starmer will keep Dave on as Foreign Secretary after the election.

#GreatestForeignSecretarySincePalmerston
  • Options
    Sunrise! Already
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Jon Stewart, with his unique ability to find the humour in the darkest of situations, has a go at tackling Israel and Palestine.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K2zbN3AuHG8
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    darkage said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/cma-finds-fundamental-concerns-in-housebuilding-market

"Speculative Private Development: the report found another significant reason behind under delivery of homes are the limitations of private speculative development. The evidence shows that private developers produce houses at a rate at which they can be sold without needing to reduce their prices, rather than diversifying the types and numbers of homes they build to meet the needs of different communities (for example providing more affordable housing)."

This is why I think increasing supply through the planning system in the hope of reducing prices won't result in more homes being built, unless you create more capacity to build housing in the public/non-profit sector.

Indeed. Who’d have thought that private companies would build at a rate that maximises their profit. And from their pov quite right too.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Heathener said:

Funny you should say that.

I had just finished my Silver Swans class and was sharing a pot of green tea with my friend Howell. Howell is a 26 stone ex miner and Labour to his core but for some reason he was really looking down.

I reached out, "what,s up ?" I asked him. " It's Labour we're fked" he replied. "How come" I said " youre miles ahead in the polls."

"That's just it" Howelll cried " Miles ahead but with that prat Starmer. Completely spineless and no idea what to do next. The whole place is being run by Blair and Mandelson and if they get in they'll sell the country to american banks and to private equity. They'll take a big cut and the rest of us will be on the breadline."

What a chilling thought.

Labour I mused, it's not quite what it says on the tin.
  • Options
    Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

It's the shittiness of charging so much, and having pay machines with pieces of duct tape over them. If you're charging a lot for a service, provide a good service. Otherwise it shows you're just profiteering.

(Having said that, the drop-off the previous Sunday went swimmingly. But you only remember the bad experiences...)
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,646
    I see Lee Anderson is trotting out a free speech defence. He said on GBNews that we have free speech and he should be free to say what he thinks. Of course, he is free to say what he thinks. It’s just that what he said was (a) wrong, and (b) racist. Other people used their free speech to point this out.

When will the right stop bleating about free speech, when what they want is consequence-free speech?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Allow individuals and small builders to buy land an acre at a time, with no planning permission required to build single-family homes of two stories at a density of say 6 per acre.

The problem is the consolidation of the housing market in the hands of a few large developers, mostly due to planning costs and complexity that overwhelms the average owner/builder except at the very top end of the market.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267

I see Lee Anderson is trotting out a free speech defence. He said on GBNews that we have free speech and he should be free to say what he thinks. Of course, he is free to say what he thinks. It’s just that what he said was (a) wrong, and (b) racist. Other people used their free speech to point this out.

When will the right stop bleating about free speech, when what they want is consequence-free speech?

Claiming free speech to dodge charges is silly.
  • Options

Taz said:
    As I’ve been saying for weeks, Starmer will keep Dave on as Foreign Secretary after the election.

#GreatestForeignSecretarySincePalmerston
    The consummate diplomat at work:

“Britain is back,” he triumphantly told a glitzy Foreign Office reception at Lancaster House just before Christmas. In a sign that not everyone thinks the world of Cameron, however, one senior government official present said they had found his address a little jarring. “You may be back,” they remarked. “We’ve been here all along.”
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,679
    REFUK. A party that doesn't want Anderson, but thought Danczuk an appropriate candidate.
  • Options

darkage said:

Indeed. Who’d have thought that private companies would build at a rate that maximises their profit. And from their pov quite right too.
    Not even that.

It might be that there's even more profit to be made by selling more houses at a lower cost. But the potential gains don't seem to be worth the risk of finding out.

As with evolution, the free market can create some brilliant things, but it can create some stupid harmful things, like the human throat, as well.
  • Options

Hardly free, given what he’s charging GB News
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hardly free, given what he’s charging GB News
    Free speech, not free speeches.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

REFUK. A party that doesn't want Anderson, but thought Danczuk an appropriate candidate.

Maybe that’s just because his name rhymes with the party name?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,990
    Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

airport carparks in general are legal robbery
  • Options
    It does seem that the Conservative party rather likes being the opposition, rather than government.

"Anderson, for his part, seems pretty relaxed about his suspension from the Conservative party; Braverman and Truss both appear to be having a much better time outside government than they ever did when they had to mind their language. The incentives operating on all three – presenting gig, leadership bid, pseudo-rehabilitation/book sales – are all more obviously appealing than a quiet life on the backbenches."

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/26/sunak-media-lee-anderson-sadiq-kahn-no-islamist?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

• Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    It is quite clear at this point that both major parties have deep issues with racism.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,641
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

Lots on the continent have a free half hour for pick up and drop off, then the charges start. Much more reasonable.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

That's the market for you.
    Supply and demand - and a local monopoly.
  • Options
    Can't come soon enough. Judging by reported equipment losses over the last week or so, Ukraine is starting to lose the current artillery battle.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1762348151359382012
    Yesterday, the Netherlands announced that it would be contributing more than €100 million to the Czech-led shell procurement effort for Ukraine, helping enable the delivery of hundreds of thousands of artillery shells.
  • Options
    Wow.

A postmaster forced to hand back his compensation due to bankruptcy will use a £200,000 payment won following a three-year battle to support his ex-wife.

Francis Duff, 81, was driven from his business, suffered a divorce and lost his home after he was persecuted for “thieving” from his own till, when computer glitches were actually to blame.

He was offered more than £330,000 from a flagship scheme to compensate postmasters, but was told he would lose all but £8,000 because of his ongoing bankruptcy.

Duff, who won a certificate of valour from the Post Office for fighting off an armed robbery, said he had been “shafted twice” as he revealed he wore a coat indoors and wrapped a duvet around his legs to save on heating bills.

This week his lawyers announced that he would receive more than £200,000 of the compensation initially offered to him in a fight that has lasted three and a half years. Duff told The Times that he would use the money to support Louisa, 79, who left during their ordeal and now requires care for dementia.

His lawyer, Neil Hudgell, said the payment took “two years too long” and the settlement offered was “still too little” given the suffering he had endured.

Duff, from Bootle, Merseyside, had been a postmaster since 1981 and for two decades ran his post office without a problem until the Horizon computer system was installed in 2000.

He said the Horizon system showed “missing” cash of up to £200 every week. “Overall, I would conservatively estimate the shortfalls to have been in the region of £16,500,” he said. “I continued using my own salary to repay the Horizon shortfalls in cash.

“My relationship with my wife started to suffer. We had been happily married for 34 years, but we started to have arguments about the losses. She encouraged me to sack staff. I refused and she told me that I was ‘not man enough’. We separated while I was still working for Post Office and eventually divorced.”

He resigned from the Post Office, which was then sold. He declared bankruptcy in 2001 and the post office was sold for £25,000 — a fifth of the asking price. “The proceeds went directly to the bankruptcy estate, as did my share in the value of the marital home,” he said.

Twenty years later he was offered £330,893 compensation, but was told in a 30-page letter that all but £8,000, awarded for “distress”, would be taken away. Now, thanks to several creditors failing to come forward, Duff will receive an additional payout of more than £200,000, which he says will enable him to support his ex-wife.

“She was a good wife and a good mum, and I’ve not lost sight of the fact that this impacted hugely on her life too,” he said. “It was the Post Office that drove a wedge between us.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-post-office-drove-us-apart-now-i-can-help-care-for-her-fqv6k26dv
  • Options
    Scotland is facing a cancer “timebomb on the SNP’s watch”, critics have warned, after new research revealed Scots face longer waiting times and lower treatment rates than other countries.

Patients waited on average more than two weeks longer for both chemotherapy and radiotherapy north of the border than people living in England.

The studies, carried out by the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership (ICBP), co-funded by Cancer Research UK and published in The Lancet Oncology, showed lags compared with the rest of Britain, Norway and Australia.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp-to-blame-for-cancer-timebomb-as-scots-wait-longer-for-care-63jk52cmd
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Can't come soon enough. Judging by reported equipment losses over the last week or so, Ukraine is starting to lose the current artillery battle.

Yesterday, the Netherlands announced that it would be contributing more than €100 million to the Czech-led shell procurement effort for Ukraine, helping enable the delivery of hundreds of thousands of artillery shells.

AIUI Macron's being a bit of a sh*t in insisting that any EU artillery procurement scheme should buy from EU countries. It's a good idea in theory, but rather ignores the fact that Ukraine needs far more than the EU alone can currently manufacture.
  • Options
    edited February 27

Scotland is facing a cancer “timebomb on the SNP’s watch”, critics have warned, after new research revealed Scots face longer waiting times and lower treatment rates than other countries.

Patients waited on average more than two weeks longer for both chemotherapy and radiotherapy north of the border than people living in England.

The studies, carried out by the International Cancer Benchmarking Partnership (ICBP), co-funded by Cancer Research UK and published in The Lancet Oncology, showed lags compared with the rest of Britain, Norway and Australia.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/snp-to-blame-for-cancer-timebomb-as-scots-wait-longer-for-care-63jk52cmd

NHS failing in Conservative England.
    NHS failing in Labour Wales.
    NHS failing in SNP Scotland.

Perhaps, jut perhaps, the problem is not just the party in power, but the NHS model itself?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,254

Nigelb said:

AIUI Macron's being a bit of a sh*t in insisting that any EU artillery procurement scheme should buy from EU countries. It's a good idea in theory, but rather ignores the fact that Ukraine needs far more than the EU alone can currently manufacture.
    Macron has just yielded on this
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

That's the market for you.
    Supply and demand - and a local monopoly.
    It’s a function of the airports being screwed by the airlines, especially the lo-cos who would play them off against each other over service charges. The result is that the ‘customers’ of the airports are now not the airlines as much as the visitors, who are getting nickeled and dimed as a result, making the whole process worse for everyone.

But people insist on making their travel decision purely on airline ticket price, often without properly considering the whole cost of their journey. If we all agreed to add a fiver to the ticket price, the airports themselves would be much nicer places.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

At Newcastle now if people try to avoid short stay drop offs and use the petrol station next to the airport they get a fine/charge.

They just rinse people for cash every way they can.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Macron has just yielded on this
    Ah good, thanks. Hadn't herd that.
  • Options

Wow.

A postmaster forced to hand back his compensation due to bankruptcy will use a £200,000 payment won following a three-year battle to support his ex-wife.

Francis Duff, 81, was driven from his business, suffered a divorce and lost his home after he was persecuted for “thieving” from his own till, when computer glitches were actually to blame.

He was offered more than £330,000 from a flagship scheme to compensate postmasters, but was told he would lose all but £8,000 because of his ongoing bankruptcy.

Duff, who won a certificate of valour from the Post Office for fighting off an armed robbery, said he had been “shafted twice” as he revealed he wore a coat indoors and wrapped a duvet around his legs to save on heating bills.

This week his lawyers announced that he would receive more than £200,000 of the compensation initially offered to him in a fight that has lasted three and a half years. Duff told The Times that he would use the money to support Louisa, 79, who left during their ordeal and now requires care for dementia.

His lawyer, Neil Hudgell, said the payment took “two years too long” and the settlement offered was “still too little” given the suffering he had endured.

Duff, from Bootle, Merseyside, had been a postmaster since 1981 and for two decades ran his post office without a problem until the Horizon computer system was installed in 2000.

He said the Horizon system showed “missing” cash of up to £200 every week. “Overall, I would conservatively estimate the shortfalls to have been in the region of £16,500,” he said. “I continued using my own salary to repay the Horizon shortfalls in cash.

“My relationship with my wife started to suffer. We had been happily married for 34 years, but we started to have arguments about the losses. She encouraged me to sack staff. I refused and she told me that I was ‘not man enough’. We separated while I was still working for Post Office and eventually divorced.”

He resigned from the Post Office, which was then sold. He declared bankruptcy in 2001 and the post office was sold for £25,000 — a fifth of the asking price. “The proceeds went directly to the bankruptcy estate, as did my share in the value of the marital home,” he said.

Twenty years later he was offered £330,893 compensation, but was told in a 30-page letter that all but £8,000, awarded for “distress”, would be taken away. Now, thanks to several creditors failing to come forward, Duff will receive an additional payout of more than £200,000, which he says will enable him to support his ex-wife.

“She was a good wife and a good mum, and I’ve not lost sight of the fact that this impacted hugely on her life too,” he said. “It was the Post Office that drove a wedge between us.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-post-office-drove-us-apart-now-i-can-help-care-for-her-fqv6k26dv

Maybe I was a bit harsh yesterday in comparing British Gas to the Post Office.

Their errors only added up to £950.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A few months ago when people were reporting the failures of ukraine on the battle from they were denounced as Putinists, even by the usual warmongers here,

Now it seems to be the case and these stories are becoming more and more mainstream and accepted.

Troubled waters ahead.
  • Options
    edited February 27

RUK is hardly any better.

UK trails other countries on waiting times for cancer treatment, study finds
    Research compared access to radiotherapy and chemotherapy in Australia, Canada, Norway and UK
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/27/uk-bottom-list-waiting-times-radiotherapy-chemotherapy-study
  • Options

Perhaps, jut perhaps, the problem is not just the party in power, but the NHS model itself?
    rNHS is almost a national religion. Banging pans on the doorstep, FFS. If it is so wonderful why does no other major nation copy it ?

Criticise it and the counter argument is always about the USA and its health system. This ignores many other nations who have perfectly functioning health systems that is not our sainted NHS.

Wes Streeting does seem to get that.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Taz said:

rNHS is almost a national religion. Banging pans on the doorstep, FFS. If it is so wonderful why does no other major nation copy it ?

Criticise it and the counter argument is always about the USA and its health system. This ignores many other nations who have perfectly functioning health systems that is not our sainted NHS.

Labour will have the ability to fix it if they so wish. I do think we should move to a German-style system.
  • Options
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

At Newcastle now if people try to avoid short stay drop offs and use the petrol station next to the airport they get a fine/charge.

That's true of far too many companies and organisations.

Quite apart from the saga of British Gas, I had a company try to persuade me my father had the wrong share certificates and I would need to pay £340 to replace them.

I asked for evidence that these certificates had been despatched, and they said they hadn't got it.

I then informed them I believed them to be lying, and new share certificates mysteriously turned up for free.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Though there is evidence that Streeting's proposal to improve GP access reduces productivity by undermining continuity of care.

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/workload/continuity-of-care-more-productive-than-access-driven-gp-models-study-suggests/?s=09
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Taz said:

Many European countries have better healthcare systems. They also spend more on them. I've got no problem moving to one of the better funded European models.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

A few months ago when people were reporting the failures of ukraine on the battle from they were denounced as Putinists, even by the usual warmongers here,

Now it seems to be the case and these stories are becoming more and more mainstream and accepted.

Troubled waters ahead.
    What most people took exception to was the argument that Ukraine could not possibly defeat the invasion, and should therefore sue for peace (IOW surrender).
    I've no problem with reports of setbacks.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Though there is evidence that Streeting's proposal to improve GP access reduces productivity by undermining continuity of care.

https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/workload/continuity-of-care-more-productive-than-access-driven-gp-models-study-suggests/?s=09
    How many people have 'continuity of care' with a GP these days?

I haven't seen the same doctor twice more than three times since I turned 18.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    I don't yet see the route for RefUK to usurp the Tories as the main party of the right.

It is not that parties cannot succeed with a quite nationalist agenda, but such parties have to work hard to build a reputation for being serious people. For instance, FdI rule in Italy is the end result of decades of being the grown ups in the room next to Berlusconi and Salvini, which gave them space to take on their more nativist current iteration. Marine Le Pen has been attempting such a project in France for many years now.

RefUK are really at base camp in this respect, and in an FPTP system the bar is higher. One nation politics isn't necessary for Tory revival, but being grown ups is, and I don't see who the grown ups are on the British nativist right.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Maybe that’s just because his name rhymes with the party name?
    His - ahem - extra-curricular activities align with the 'fuck' part of it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Sandpit said:

Jon Stewart, with his unique ability to find the humour in the darkest of situations, has a go at tackling Israel and Palestine.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=K2zbN3AuHG8

That's just excellent. And not the worst idea (obviously I mean the racquets).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Manhunt for 'acid thugs' after gang including woman hurl 'corrosive substance' over two boys at London Elm Park Tube station before fleeing amid spate of terrifying attacks including Clapham suspect Abdul Ezedi's assault on mum and kids"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13128971/Manhunt-acid-attackers-corrosive-substance-victim-London-Elm-Park-Tube-station.html

There was always the fear that Ezedi would inspire copycats, just as we saw with vans and kitchen knives. Compared with knives, corrosives are more likely to disfigure but less likely to kill, and do not need the attacker to get within striking distance of the victim.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,371
    Heathener said:

What you're arguing for is a Conservative Party that more liberals and centre-left can feel comfortable with.

There's certainly a small (and very voluble) audience for that but it's not one that would come close to winning an election: non-Tories might be slightly more comfortable with the Tories being in office but it would win over very few of their votes.
  • Options
    edited February 27

But, but, its so much easier to blame the Tories and delude yourself that a second Labour government in England will do so much better.

After all £181.7bn is clearly not enough and a couple more billion from some gimmicky tax is going to solve...everything.
  • Options
    Taz said:

I never did that.

I thought it quite absurd.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    DavidL said:

But, but, its so much easier to blame the Tories and delude yourself that a second Labour government in England will do so much better.
    It did vastly better last time it was in power.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

You clearly have commitment issues.
  • Options
    darkage said:

We need new towns, as were built before and after the war, whose development would by necessity be organised by the government.
  • Options
    edited February 27
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Taz said:

Not just GPs, loss of continuity of care is a major factor in worse hospital outcomes and productivity too.

Whenever you speak to patients they greatly prefer continuity of care. It is also a major part of professional job satisfaction as well as being key to improved outcomes and productivity.

Why then is so much UK health policy actively undermining continuity of care, including Streeting's proposals?

If you want a low cost way of improving the system then prioritise continuity.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

I'm not sure they even know what they want. The real message of free speech warriors is usually a self-promoting 'look how brave I am saying all these provocative things'. It's quite irritating.

I wish they would shut up about it, but of course I wouldn't want to make them. That would be wrong. I disagree that they aren't free to say what they think but I'll defend to the death their right to say so.
  • Options

I think Lee Anderson thought he was "licenced" to speak freely as a Tory to the Red Wall base in language they'd understand, and to some extent he was.

The trouble was that what he said about Khan was slanderous: if he'd just said he thought Khan was far too tolerant of the Gaza protests and not doing enough, because he had some sympathy with them, then there'd have still been some howls of outrage but he wouldn't have been suspended.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

Heathrow charge £5 just to drop off.
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Nigelb said:

Troubled waters ahead.
    What most people took exception to was the argument that Ukraine could not possibly defeat the invasion, and should therefore sue for peace (IOW surrender).
    I've no problem with reports of setbacks.
    Exactly. Discussing Ukraine losing the war is fine, suggesting that their surrender as needed is some sort of cost-free way out of their appalling losses is not.
  • Options

darkage said:

We need new towns, as were built before and after the war, whose development would by necessity be organised by the government.
    We're getting plenty of new towns around here. I live in one (well, three villages that have become a town...); then there's Oakington/Northstowe, and Waterbeach Barracks. All currently being built or expanded.

There are good things, and bad things, about all of these settlements.
  • Options
    Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

Airports make most of their money from parking and retail, not landing charges.

Never believe the hype over "duty free". The retailers at airports remove all the duty and tax and then replace it with more or less the same price, and then massively increase their profit margin - which the airport operator takes a slice of.
  • Options

I have been saying this for a long time

The three main UK parties are all failing on the NHS, and I have no expectation it will change even when the government changes
  • Options
    He doesn't rule it in, either.

Macron refuses to rule out putting troops on ground in Ukraine in call to galvanise Europe
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/27/french-president-emmanuel-macron-ukraine-french-ground-troops
  • Options
    Taz said:

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-item/why-has-the-nhs-not-been-copied-spoiler-it-has

Many other countries do have healthcare systems similar to the NHS.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Boris purging the moderates naturally shifted the party to the right. It also created a vacuum at the top filled by the promotion of right wingers. Whether that idea came from Boris, Cummings or someone else is left as an exercise for the reader.
  • Options

I think Lee Anderson thought he was "licenced" to speak freely as a Tory to the Red Wall base in language they'd understand, and to some extent he was.

The trouble was that what he said about Khan was slanderous: if he'd just said he thought Khan was far too tolerant of the Gaza protests and not doing enough, because he had some sympathy with them, then there'd have still been some howls of outrage but he wouldn't have been suspended.
    Both parts are true. They sent him off as the thickie to talk to the northern thickies. The ones with cloth caps and ferrets in their trousers. And when you live up north you think London is another country. There are plenty of northern towns that the WWC still think have been "taken over" by muslims and "Londonistan" is worse.

Of course what 25p said was defamatory. So they had to suspend him. But the reported avalanche of "15p is right" messages received by doomed MPs shows that an awful lot of WWC voters think it wasn't defamatory and "someone had to say it".

Free speech? Too many parochial bigots think they should be allowed to openly say the racist stupid defamatory stuff because its true innit? Its the loony left and woke remoaners who should be forced to shut up, not them.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    Well you could turn to the IEA who come out with bollocks like this:

How red tape is fuelling the cost of living crisis

📈 Since 2000, sectors with heavy state intervention have experienced large price rises while competitive markets have experienced price falls.

https://x.com/iealondon/status/1760582275928920174?s=20
  • Options
    Star Republican witness in the Biden "investigation" - and alleged Russian agent - is again remanded in custody.

Update: Judge Wright was not persuaded to release Alexander Smirnov.

“There is nothing garden variety about this case.”

“The man will be remanded pending trial. Deputies!”

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1762172202936635767
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited February 27
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Taz said:

FPT:

Taz said:

That’s unregulated Capitalism for you.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,254
    Sweden FINALLY joins NATO

It’s a shame @StuartDickson is no longer around. I used to enjoy jousting with him. Also he used to morally gloat about Swedish neutrality and how Indy Scotland would follow the same path

All a long time ago now

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/27/sweden-complete-long-farewell-neutrality-nato-accession
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Taz said:

Many European countries have better healthcare systems. They also spend more on them. I've got no problem moving to one of the better funded European models.
    We could, but that would mean moving to a social insurance system where we pay in, say, 5% extra into schemes (bit like with pensions) on top of the 10% national insurance we already pay, with employers contributing a bit more too.

Are you up for that?
  • Options

Both parts are true. They sent him off as the thickie to talk to the northern thickies. The ones with cloth caps and ferrets in their trousers. And when you live up north you think London is another country. There are plenty of northern towns that the WWC still think have been "taken over" by muslims and "Londonistan" is worse.

Of course what 25p said was defamatory. So they had to suspend him. But the reported avalanche of "15p is right" messages received by doomed MPs shows that an awful lot of WWC voters think it wasn't defamatory and "someone had to say it".

Free speech? Too many parochial bigots think they should be allowed to openly say the racist stupid defamatory stuff because its true innit? Its the loony left and woke remoaners who should be forced to shut up, not them.
    Sorry, I stopped reading after the second sentence.

Try not to fart out your basest emotions if you want to be taken seriously on here.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

He doesn't rule it in, either.

Macron refuses to rule out putting troops on ground in Ukraine in call to galvanise Europe
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/27/french-president-emmanuel-macron-ukraine-french-ground-troops

Let's face it our army is not fit to go into battle in Ukraine. They don't have nearly enough drones. They don't have nearly enough protection from drones. They don't know what tactics are required to survive on such a battlefield. War has evolved well beyond their current capacity.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Star Republican witness in the Biden "investigation" - and alleged Russian agent - is again remanded in custody.

Update: Judge Wright was not persuaded to release Alexander Smirnov.

“There is nothing garden variety about this case.”

“The man will be remanded pending trial. Deputies!”

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1762172202936635767

Predicting that he was going to be remanded was perhaps not the most difficult call I have made but a win's a win.
  • Options

Taz said:

https://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/news-item/why-has-the-nhs-not-been-copied-spoiler-it-has

Many other countries do have healthcare systems similar to the NHS.
    No, no, no, that can't be right; we don't want to hear that sort of loose talk.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,768
    Pro_Rata said:

I don't yet see the route for RefUK to usurp the Tories as the main party of the right.

It is not that parties cannot succeed with a quite nationalist agenda, but such parties have to work hard to build a reputation for being serious people. For instance, FdI rule in Italy is the end result of decades of being the grown ups in the room next to Berlusconi and Salvini, which gave them space to take on their more nativist current iteration. Marine Le Pen has been attempting such a project in France for many years now.

RefUK are really at base camp in this respect, and in an FPTP system the bar is higher. One nation politics isn't necessary for Tory revival, but being grown ups is, and I don't see who the grown ups are on the British nativist right.

Infiltrate and take over rather than usurp. Job is three quarters done already, Farage will be the cherry on top to seal the deal post election.
  • Options

Sorry, I stopped reading after the second sentence.

Try not to fart out your basest emotions if you want to be taken seriously on here.
    Time to switch your irony detector on again, maybe?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    Sandpit said:

darkage said:

Allow individuals and small builders to buy land an acre at a time, with no planning permission required to build single-family homes of two stories at a density of say 6 per acre.

The problem is the consolidation of the housing market in the hands of a few large developers, mostly due to planning costs and complexity that overwhelms the average owner/builder except at the very top end of the market.

Yup

As I keep saying - in Victorian/Edwardian times whole suburbs were built by selling streets or parts of laid out streets to different developers.

Monopolies are always a bad idea. The idea that granting a local monopoly on property construction is somehow efficient is simply wrong.

Part of the problem is that the housing market has been so distorted for so long, that people have forgotten that it acts just like a…. Market.

We have just gone through decades where various goods decreased in price year on year. Yet Samsung never tried to limit the supply of televisions to get the price to go up.
  • Options
    Three men suspected of 'extreme right-wing activity' charged with preparing terror act
    https://news.sky.com/story/three-men-charged-with-preparing-act-of-terrorism-after-suspected-extreme-right-wing-activity-13081942
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Heathener said:

What you're arguing for is a Conservative Party that more liberals and centre-left can feel comfortable with.

There's certainly a small (and very voluble) audience for that but it's not one that would come close to winning an election: non-Tories might be slightly more comfortable with the Tories being in office but it would win over very few of their votes.
    Two points. It is still very unclear what a right wing Tory government would do different, WRT migration, employment, borrowing, spending, pensions, taxing, benefits, debt and deficit.

Secondly, at the moment polling shows under 40% support for the right+centre right, and 60+% support for the centre and centre left and left. This suggests that the next election, like most, will be won from the centre, which is where the next Tory GE win will come from in a few years' time.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Taz said:

We could, but that would mean moving to a social insurance system where we pay in, say, 5% extra into schemes (bit like with pensions) on top of the 10% national insurance we already pay, with employers contributing a bit more too.

Are you up for that?
    There we have it. If we want better public services we are going to need to spend more on them one way or another.

That is the simple truth that the country seems unwilling to face up to.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429

darkage said:

Not even that.

It might be that there's even more profit to be made by selling more houses at a lower cost. But the potential gains don't seem to be worth the risk of finding out.

As with evolution, the free market can create some brilliant things, but it can create some stupid harmful things, like the human throat, as well.
    No one selling stuff wants the price to go down.

Well, actually a few do. Price elasticity, leading to more profit from more sales, with lower profit per sale….

Back to houses - we need to remove the barriers that prevent a market functioning. At the moment, barriers to entry mean that you can have a sellers strike.

If there is always someone else selling, then that won’t work.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    Heathener said:

BoZo demanded that all Tory MPs supported both him and Brexit.

QED
  • Options

Three men suspected of 'extreme right-wing activity' charged with preparing terror act
    https://news.sky.com/story/three-men-charged-with-preparing-act-of-terrorism-after-suspected-extreme-right-wing-activity-13081942

Always hoped they would get Johnson in the end...
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    The right in the UK as in the USA only want to protect free speech if it just pertains to them . And of course Anderson will play the free speech martyr .
  • Options

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Are you up for that?
    There we have it. If we want better public services we are going to need to spend more on them one way or another.

Well, yes, most countries with better healthcare spend a little bit more - but not massively more.

Social insurance deals with risk and choice far more sensibly, and thus delivers a better and more responsive service.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Heathener said:

Two points. It is still very unclear what a right wing Tory government would do different, WRT migration, employment, borrowing, spending, pensions, taxing, benefits, debt and deficit.

Secondly, at the moment polling shows under 40% support for the right+centre right, and 60+% support for the centre and centre left and left. This suggests that the next election, like most, will be won from the centre, which is where the next Tory GE win will come from in a few years' time.
    The Conservatives biggest problem is they haven't delivered.

In fact, in one area where I think they largely have - checking identity politics - they get reams of criticism, much of which we've seen on this board this morning.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Heathener said:

In fact, in one area where I think they largely have - checking identity politics - they get reams of criticism, much of which we've seen on this board this morning.
    Yes, because 'identity politics' is a load of divisive crud which, like 'anti-woke', does f-all to fix the country. It's an irrelevance on the greater scale of things.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

Heathener said:

Boris purging the moderates naturally shifted the party to the right. It also created a vacuum at the top filled by the promotion of right wingers. Whether that idea came from Boris, Cummings or someone else is left as an exercise for the reader.
    It started with Brexit, which (a) proved that weaponised bullshit could win an election, (b) polarised the electorate along cultural lines and (c) created a vacuum for the role of national scapegoat.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,768

Selebian said:

Taz said:

Are you up for that?

I think it is a bit more like:

It is inevitable we are going to pay more for our public services due to demographics.
    If we want to actually improve public services we need to do other things too, the highest priority for me being improving staff retention and in medicine increasing the pipeline of trained and qualified staff.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

algarkirk said:

Heathener said:

The Tories haven't checked identity politics, they've grabbed it with both hands.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Heathener said:

Did Dominic not object?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841

Heathener said:

It started with Brexit, which (a) proved that weaponised bullshit could win an election, (b) polarised the electorate along cultural lines and (c) created a vacuum for the role of national scapegoat.
    The national scapegoat used to be the EU and FOM . Now that the sunny uplands sold as Brexit has been shown to be a load of tripe the Tories and their arselicking media friends have continued to find new scapegoats .
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,960
    @LBC

'For the third time was it Islamophobic?'
    'Nick it was wrong.'
    'I'll have to curtail the interview there, enough already.'

@NickFerrariLBC
    cuts off the Illegal Immigration Minister after he refuses to confirm whether Lee Anderson's comments were Islamophobic.
This discussion has been closed.