Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Has Trump ensured the UK rejoins the EU? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited March 12 in General
imageHas Trump ensured the UK rejoins the EU? – politicalbetting.com

Biden condemns Trump’s NATO comments: ‘it's dumb, it's shameful, it's dangerous, it's un-American’ pic.twitter.com/UbT03R95xP

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited February 14
    First like Wellington and von Blücher.

Hurrah for a European army.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Second is the new first.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169

The crisis in Labour seems to be, KS investigating it quickly and getting rid of muppets quickly. Can somebody explain the problem?

Labour is still full of antisemites despite SKS claiming to have cleared them out?
    I believe it was the EHRC and BoD who said that.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Absolutely Labour needs to chuck out these nutjobs and the initial response albeit within 24 hours was a touch slow but I am failing to see that this is anything like what Labour started with.

From a betting POV, I'm struggling to see how this pushes the result much at all. I suppose a slim chance Rishi goes earlier.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,298
    The EU would find some way to cooperate with countries like the UK, Norway and Canada who were not in the EU. The UK also has defence agreements, separate to NATO with various countries and groups of countries (like the Scandis), which would form the basis of defence cooperation in a post-NATO world.

The more likely outcome is that the UK abases itself to Trump in order to keep a favoured relationship with the US itself.
  • Options
    Relying upon a European army would be as foolish as relying upon Americans.

Unification behind one critical control point is a recipe for failure, whether that critical control point is Washington or Brussels there is no solitary control point that is a good idea.

You are safer with redundancy, where multiple elements can fail but you still succeed.

A post-American NATO-style arrangement if it comes about should not be a unified Europe, it should be a diversified Europe [and others] coalition of the willing.
  • Options
    From wikipedia, I have discovered that the chap that the sunk Russian ship is named after died on 14th February.

Someone in Ukraine has a unique sense of humour.
  • Options
    I'm enjoying the debate about the change to the tax treatment of double cab pickup trucks. Essentially townies don't like the people who drive them in town and think its great. Those of us in the sticks realise its a disaster.

"Just pay the tax" says one - £7k a year? Or "separate business and non-business use". How do you do that when your business is where you live? And separating business and non business use means driving scores of additional miles to swap vehicles which means less work done at more cost.

I assume the HMRC / Treasury people have never been to the countryside.
  • Options
    Presumably a European army would have to constantly relocate between two different sets of barracks every month for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    Why replace NATO if the US pulls out? NATO would still exist. See the EU and the UK for an example. The dynamic would change, and European nations would be rather uncomfortable having to increase defence spending, but I don't see a need for a European Army.

Even in WW2 the British, US and Canada did not have a formal alliance.
  • Options

Absolutely Labour needs to chuck out these nutjobs and the initial response albeit within 24 hours was a touch slow but I am failing to see that this is anything like what Labour started with.

From a betting POV, I'm struggling to see how this pushes the result much at all. I suppose a slim chance Rishi goes earlier.

Cannot see Rishi doing anything other than dragging it out as long as possible (or at least until the autumn).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007

Presumably a European army would have to constantly relocate between two different sets of barracks every month for no apparent reason.

What do you mean "no apparent reason". There would be a reason: ensuring French feathers were not too ruffled.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,292
    But Trump approves of the UK. We spend his required 2% and he cherishes his Scotch ancestry and we are all umbilically linked via Five Eyes. Its not going anywhere

Besides I think most of this is performative bluster. Trump wants to put the willies into underspending NATO countries. He will likely succeed because you never know - it’s Trump! - so the laggards will largely up their spending, then Trump can turn around and boast that he got a much better deal for America

He’s the deal maker. That’s his thing

Trump 2.0 would be pretty shit for Kyiv, tho
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,229
    Yes if the US pulls the plug Europe will have to organize its own defence. This can't be individual nations all with beefed-up militaries under separate command - that'd be nuts on every level - therefore you're looking at a Pan-European military under joint control. We should be (and would be) a part of this, a big part.
  • Options

Why replace NATO if the US pulls out? NATO would still exist. See the EU and the UK for an example. The dynamic would change, and European nations would be rather uncomfortable having to increase defence spending, but I don't see a need for a European Army.

Even in WW2 the British, US and Canada did not have a formal alliance.

The biggest - near term - consequence of the US pulling out of NATO would be a (totally understandable) concern from European countries about relying on US weaponry.

BAe Systems would, I suspect, suddenly remember it was a UK company again.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,444

Being constantly on the move would frustrate Russia's 'new' 'super-weapon' hypersonic missiles, I hear :wink:
  • Options
    Leon said:

But Trump approves of the UK. We spend his required 2% and he cherishes his Scotch ancestry and we are all umbilically linked via Five Eyes. Its not going anywhere

Besides I think most of this is performative bluster. Trump wants to put the willies into underspending NATO countries. He will likely succeed because you never know - it’s Trump! - so the laggards will largely up their spending, then Trump can turn around and boast that he got a much better deal for America

Pretty much all the European NATO countries are now on the path to 2%. Everyone has announced big increases in spending, it just takes a couple of years to get there.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    With the EU due to swing dramatically to the right after the elections this year, TSE is effectively advocating that we subordinate ourselves to a militaristic, right-wing, continental power.

Isn't that the kind of thing that got people interned in 1940?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,985
    edited February 14
    FPT

I'm enjoying the debate about the change to the tax treatment of double cab pickup trucks. Essentially townies don't like the people who drive them in town and think its great. Those of us in the sticks realise its a disaster.

"Just pay the tax" says one - £7k a year? Or "separate business and non-business use". How do you do that when your business is where you live? And separating business and non business use means driving scores of additional miles to swap vehicles which means less work done at more cost.

The issue for HMRC is that that type of vehicle is being used by more and more people as a 2 for the price of 1 deal to avoid tax - so I can see why HMRC are cracking down on it.

Easiest solution is to replace it with a single cab track when you come to replace it and buy a car for personal use -
  • Options
    Meanwhile, from an Associate Director at Savanta, in the light of their exciting poll this morning;

Roses are red,
    £28bn could have taken its toll,
    But please don’t read too much,
    Into just one poll

https://x.com/EmmaLevin_/status/1757709076564168934
  • Options
    There's not a snowballs chance in hell of the EU agreeing to an EU army, let alone the UK, so its moot.

The Poles and other Eastern Europeans have been ramping up their own defences, to have defences they control. Quite rightly so. Why would they piss that away to have a unified European army that they can't rely upon?

Had there been a unified army in 2022 under the control of someone like Merkel then it may have refused to agree to aid to Ukraine. Thank goodness it did not exist then, and instead diverse armies like the UK and the Poles and Americans and others could step up.

We should not rely upon the Americans, but nor should we rely upon "Europe". Diversity is a strength not a weakness, it means that we can act more flexibly without relying upon the lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Also, Trump doesn't unequivocally support anyone except those who support him. If we were willing to be completely subservient and a willing lapdog, then yes, he would I'm sure look upon us kindly.

But if we were to disagree with him on something, or if someone else was even more obsequious, he'd drop us like third period French.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Yes if the US pulls the plug Europe will have to organize its own defence. This can't be individual nations all with beefed-up militaries under separate command - that'd be nuts on every level - therefore you're looking at a Pan-European military under joint control. We should be (and would be) a part of this, a big part.

Beefed up militaries under separate command is a strength not a weakness. Diversity is a strength, not a weakness. Redundancy is a strength, not a weakness.

Having a solitary critical control point is a weakness. A critical one.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Hard to believe that Trump would achieve something so worthwhile, even if unwittingly
  • Options

With the EU due to swing dramatically to the right after the elections this year, TSE is effectively advocating that we subordinate ourselves to a militaristic, right-wing, continental power.

Ah yes, but if we were to join the EU, think of all those left wing Labour MEPs we'd be sending to Strasbourg.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

How would it work POLITICALLY tho. I just can’t see it

You can’t have it run by 28 countries all with a veto. That’s impossible, it would never be deployed. So who would decide? A majority? The unelected EU president? Who?

What if Paris and Berlin decided to “do a war”
    of which we disapprove? Would we seriously allow them to put our soldiers in harm’s way, and lose their lives, in a conflict we do not want, which does not benefit us? No

And each country would have the same attitude. This is the whole problem of the EU turned up to 11 because it’s life and death

It cannot work
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,229
    But none of this is happening cos he's not winning.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited February 14
    We might rejoin the EU but it's certainly not going to be before the end of 2025. We'd require negotiations, another referendum (Or it being a manifesto commitment from Labour which isn't happening) candidate status for a while, perhaps changing to the Euro and more negotiations. All of that is taking us past the end of 2025.
  • Options
    eek said:

FPT

The issue for HMRC is that that type of vehicle is being used by more and more people as a 2 for the price of 1 deal to avoid tax - so I can see why HMRC are cracking down on it.

Easiest solution is to replace it with a single cab track when you come to replace it and buy a car for personal use -
    How does that work? I know of several local contractors who have these. They buy a double cab because they use the space. They have a business based at home (one is a farm), and when the nearest shop is 10 miles away the idea of separating business and non business is for the birds.

Its great for fans of EVs as so far they are exempt - BIK is 2%. Maxus have just done a firesale on their first attempt (rear wheel drive only lol) to import a proper one. Ford are to launch an EV Ranger. Bye bye diesel in the medium term.

But in the short term? Less work gets done at a higher cost. Well done Tories, well done...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Even if Trump does beat Biden, still a big if having lost to him in 2020, I don't see what relevance it has to rejoining the EU?

The EU excludes 2 other big militaries alongside the UK for starters, Turkey and Canada, both of which will be needed to contain Putin with or without US support
  • Options
    Leon said:

Aw bless.

Do you genuinely think it makes a shiny shit of difference to Trump whether European countries spend 2% of GDP on defence? Do you truly believe that, because all the Baltic States have been spending more than 2% of their GDP on defence for many years that Trump would order US forces to fight in their defence?

Are you really that naive?

The 2% thing is just an excuse for Trump. He doesn't understand or believe in collective self-defence, and he is overawed by dictators.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,347
    Unlikely. Even the lead of the Remain campaign now has a key role in a Government committed to Brexit. There’s only a few die hard headbangers who want to join the EU now. The reverse ukip.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

There's not going to be a single EU army for the entire continent. (Not least because French industrial and defence policy is based around buying French weapons, and an EU army might buy German instead.)

There might very well be some increased cooperation and training and joint exercises and the like. But you're simply not going to have units that are full of people from different nationalities as part of some single unified EU army.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    At Waterloo of course one of the biggest current EU powers, France, was the one led by the warmonger we were fighting against, Napoleon
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

You can’t have it run by 28 countries all with a veto. That’s impossible, it would never be deployed. So who would decide? A majority? The unelected EU president? Who?

of which we disapprove? Would we seriously allow them to put our soldiers in harm’s way, and lose their lives, in a conflict we do not want, which does not benefit us? No

And each country would have the same attitude. This is the whole problem of the EU turned up to 11 because it’s life and death

It cannot work
    What if Paris and Berlin decide not to, and we want to?

What if a future Ukraine is threatened by a future Russia, and a future Merkel says "no we aren't getting involved" even though we want to send missiles over?

Its remarkable how some people who champion diversity in theory suddenly demand uniformity and unity on everything else. Diversity across Europe is a strength, it means that independent UK and Polish militaries can act even if Germany isn't behind it, or vice-versa.
  • Options

Shut it Tankie.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,998
    rcs1000 said:

The UK will not be rejoining the EU.

A perspective from one of our US correspondents...
  • Options

Leon said:

Aw bless.

Do you genuinely think it makes a shiny shit of difference to Trump whether European countries spend 2% of GDP on defence? Do you truly believe that, because all the Baltic States have been spending more than 2% of their GDP on defence for many years that Trump would order US forces to fight in their defence?

The 2% thing is just an excuse for Trump. He doesn't understand or believe in collective self-defence, and he is overawed by dictators.
    No. A lot of Trump is bluster, some of it is for real. He loves things that make him look clever

If he can get Europe to do a ton of spending and take some burden off the USA he’d sell that as a win because he’s so clever; NATO would survive

We won’t know until and unless he wins in November. How exciting
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,646
    Leon said:

That's the GOP line - but as Republican foreign policy wonks like Bolton make quite clear, it's bollocks.
    It seems quite likely he wants to leave NATO.

The"deal maker" think is largely bollocks too. Unless you mean with the Russians ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    HYUFD said:

At Waterloo of course one of the biggest current EU powers, France, was the one led by the warmonger we were fighting against, Napoleon

And the UK was led by a murderous oligarchy who banged up and killed anyone who wanted a remotely popular vote.

• Options
    Leon said:

What is shit for Kyiv is shit for the UK because Putin will not stop at Kyiv ergo Trump 2.0 is shit for the UK.
  • Options
    Leon said:

We all expect him to screw the Ukrainians, and that’s the most likely outcome. But it could go the other way.

It only takes the Russians being a bit rude about him, or a good Ukrainian info ops campaign, and there’s every chance he’d be just as likely to start WW3. See his change of mind on Syria once he saw the photos of the kids.
  • Options

Leon said:

Aw bless.

Apart from anything else, it's quite likely the majority of NATO members will be spending over 2% of GDP on defence in 2024 (about 18 of them at current estimates).
    And that's 'thanks' to Putin, not Trump.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

The Dutch already have a joint armoured unit (brigade?) with Germany. There's no need to have a big central project, when you can allow for natural, organic, cooperation.

The emphasis would have to be on capability, rather than on bureaucracy.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,583

No problem on the von Blücher.

That was sunk in the battle of Oslofjord by a retired officer using a Victorian vintage Whitehead torpedo in 1940.

• Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

It cannot work
    What if Paris and Berlin decide not to, and we want to?

What if a future Ukraine is threatened by a future Russia, and a future Merkel says "no we aren't getting involved" even though we want to send missiles over?

Its remarkable how some people who champion diversity in theory suddenly demand uniformity and unity on everything else. Diversity across Europe is a strength, it means that independent UK and Polish militaries can act even if Germany isn't behind it, or vice-versa.
    On this I agree with you. A European NATO without America has fundamental problems - probably insurmountable. Unless Putin actually invades the EU then i imagine a lot of these issues would get solved….

But even then I wonder. If Putin invaded Romania would Britain or France send troops to defend Bucharest (without US help)? Hmm
  • Options

Leon said:

What is shit for Kyiv is shit for the UK because Putin will not stop at Kyiv ergo Trump 2.0 is shit for the UK.
    Thatcher herself wanted to use Russia to balance the power of a reunified Germany. Was she a tankie?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

It cannot work
    It would work the way NATO currently works - a defensive alliance, if it came to that.
    No European army is going to 'do' an war of aggression. It wouldn't have the capacity or the motivation.
  • Options

The header is wishful thinking by TSE and pretty much rubbish.

It ignoresthe fact that 3 other key members of NATO apart from the UK - who would be very important in any new replacement organisation - are also not in the EU. Canada, Iceland and NOrway are even less likely to be interested in joining the EU than the UK and without them there is a very big gap in the Northern defence.

And that is before we start considering Turkey, who might want to join the EU but who would not even be considered by many current EU members.

Moreover the rest of NATO would want to do nothing that shut the door on the US rejoining under a different future president.

Like I say, this is TSE's pipe dream.

Rejoining the EU any time soon is pretty unlikely - but he can dream.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Fighting another European army.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Pretty much all the European NATO countries are now on the path to 2%. Everyone has announced big increases in spending, it just takes a couple of years to get there.

AIUI we only get to 2% because Mr Cameron rolled various non-defence items into the Defence Budget, such as pensions.

Rather a lot of smoke and mirrors.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

It cannot work
    It would work the way NATO currently works - a defensive alliance, if it came to that.
    No European army is going to 'do' an war of aggression. It wouldn't have the capacity or the motivation.
    Without America, Britain is not going to commit to defending Bulgaria or Romania with British lives

If Trump quits NATO I suspect we’d loyally support America in whatever new alliance it wanted. We will remain, militarily, a vassal state of DC
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824
    Nice bit of trolling TSE 😂
  • Options
    edited February 14

It ignoresthe fact that 3 other key members of NATO apart from the UK - who would be very important in any new replacement organisation - are also not in the EU. Canada, Iceland and NOrway are even less likely to be interested in joining the EU than the UK and without them there is a very big gap in the Northern defence.

And that is before we start considering Turkey, who might want to join the EU but who would not even be considered by many current EU members.

Moreover the rest of NATO would want to do nothing that shut the door on the US rejoining under a different future president.

Yup. And part of the reason we would want to leave the door open for a sane US President to reverse the decision is that it would take many years for the western alliance to even begin to replace the crucial role the U.S. plays in acting as a C2 framework for all the rest of us. See Libya where Obama let the U.K. and France pretend to lead, while the whole thing was quietly run by the U.S.
  • Options
    On topic:

NO !

Next?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Beefed up militaries under separate command is a strength not a weakness. Diversity is a strength, not a weakness. Redundancy is a strength, not a weakness.

Having a solitary critical control point is a weakness. A critical one.
    See WW2 for how it can work. D-Day - three national armies invaded Normandy, without a formal alliance, under a unified command structure. No need to make it too complex.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

It cannot work
    The UK has the capacity to go on offensive actions, so a unified European army will.

Or its not a unified army and supplementary to existing diverse national armies, in which case what's the point?

Once you have an army, it has the possibility to do a war of aggression. The line gets blurred. Do we get involved in "peacekeeping" missions? If so, do we get involved preemptively? See the line from debating why we didn't get involved with Srebenica through to getting involved with Kosovo through to invading Iraq.

If a unified European army ever exists, its only a matter of time until its involved in an offensive action. Just as its only a matter of time until the British army next is. It'll be called defensive, for political purposes though - we called invading Iraq a defensive action afterall.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Leon said:

Thatcher herself wanted to use Russia to balance the power of a reunified Germany. Was she a tankie?
    That was a very different Russia; over thirty years ago; before Putin, and when Russia was in the doldrums. Russia could have taken many different routes - as could a reunified Germany. Putin chose Russia's current route, to his shame.

Russia could have become a very different - and from our perspective, better, country, had Putin and the oligarchs made different decisions.
  • Options

Leon said:

Different time, different world.
  • Options

It ignores the fact that 3 other key members of NATO apart from the UK - who would be very important in any new replacement organisation - are also not in the EU. Canada, Iceland and Norway are even less likely to be interested in joining the EU than the UK and without them there is a very big gap in the Northern defence.

Yes, but what was in TSE's pipe at the time?
  • Options
    There is no way the UK is joining a EU army if the USA fucks off. We will cling to Uncle Sam, as will Canada, Oz and NZ
  • Options

Leon said:

That was a very different Russia; over thirty years ago; before Putin, and when Russia was in the doldrums. Russia could have taken many different routes - as could a reunified Germany. Putin chose Russia's current route, to his shame.

Russia could have become a very different - and from our perspective, better, country, had Putin and the oligarchs made different decisions.
    Maybe a Thatcherite foriegn policy in the 1990s would have been better for everyone: no to Maastricht and yes to opening up to Russia.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

It cannot work
    Without America, Britain is not going to commit to defending Bulgaria or Romania with British lives

If Trump quits NATO I suspect we’d loyally support America in whatever new alliance it wanted. We will remain, militarily, a vassal state of DC
    Trump and his acolytes might be a speed bump on the path towards it, but it is inevitable that by 2050 the western alliance will be one power block, the Chinese (probably with a much diminished Russia) another, and India a third. Even America will need allies, and the west remains the natural fit. Though “the West” will include Japan/Korea/Taiwan so might need a new name.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824

Leon said:

Maybe a Thatcherite foriegn policy in the 1990s would have been better for everyone: no to Maastricht and yes to opening up to Russia.
    So what your saying is that if we end up in WW3 it's all Heseltine's fault? :D
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    edited February 14
    Leon said:

There is no way the UK is joining a EU army if the USA fucks off. We will cling to Uncle Sam, as will Canada, Oz and NZ

What if Uncle Sam has gone into business with Russia to encourage the overthrow of Europe?
  • Options

Leon said:

We did open up to Russia.

Its the Russians fault they turned away from us, not ours.
  • Options
    Also, Britain SHOULD stick with America if Trump wins, because America under Trump will be way less Woke and annoying, because America under Trump will be entertaining and enterprising, and because it will be ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HILARIOUS watching “Sir” Kir Royale Starmer having to grovel to The Donald on a daily basis, then try and justify it to his MPs and voters
  • Options
    MattW said:

That was sunk in the battle of Oslofjord by a retired officer using a Victorian vintage Whitehead torpedo in 1940.

And the other Blucher was sunk at Dogger Bank in 1915.
  • Options

Leon said:

What if Uncle Sam has gone into business with Russia to encourage the overthrow of Europe?
    Join in. Demand the return of Aquitaine and Heligoland
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Join in. Demand the return of Aquitaine and Heligoland
    We need our 26 lost counties first.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,395
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The only European country who's taking it entirely seriously and putting its money where its mouth is is Poland.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited February 14

Leon said:

She would have called out Trump for the dangerous threat he is and appeasers like you.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,831
    HYUFD said:

We fought alongside the (proto) Germans. In fact, the Seventh Coalition can be seen as a pan-European army avant la lettre... :)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nice bit of trolling TSE 😂

I never troll on betting threads.
  • Options
    edited February 14

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The only European country who's taking it entirely seriously and putting its money where its mouth is is Poland.
    2% was a target from another world. 3%, if it is spent well, might be enough.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,645
    Some of those bets and odds are barking mad. Not helped because I read Rory Stewart as Rod Stewart as PM by 2040 at 50/1. Although to be honest Rod Stewart as PM is not as daft as some of those bets and odds.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I'm not sure anyone will join a European army, not least of all Poland and France - they'd all want to retain national control over their men and bullets, and wouldn't want the European Commission directing it or risk it being subject to QMV.

My guess is it'd be a specific European coalition/alliance governance structure - with lots of vetos - for anything big and important; anything "European" would be entirely tokenistic and so small it didn't matter, like a few support troops tidying up or training a few civvies in logistics in the Balkans or similar.
  • Options

Leon said:

Not sure we helped, to be honest.

We spent much of the 90s laughing at Russia, how far they'd fallen and how drunk Yeltsin was.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Something cheering. For the first time in 40 years, all the scaffolding has been removed from Salisbury Cathedral, and she can now be seen in all her purist beauty. Magnificent and peerless

The perfect opportunity for a diplomatic outreach to Russia.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    Leon said:

Also, Britain SHOULD stick with America if Trump wins, because America under Trump will be way less Woke and annoying, because America under Trump will be entertaining and enterprising, and because it will be ABSOLUTELY FUCKING HILARIOUS watching “Sir” Kir Royale Starmer having to grovel to The Donald on a daily basis, then try and justify it to his MPs and voters

🙄🙄🙄
  • Options
    edited February 14

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Errr:

All the Baltics are well above 2%. As are Greece and Turkey.

France was at 1.9%, but announced some pretty massive increases in spending last year, so they'll be up at 2.2-2.3% (the same level we'll be at) fairly soon.

The real laggards are Italy (1.7%, but no real movement to close the gap) and Germany (1.4%, which is closing the gap, but it will inevitably take some time when you're so far behind the curve.)
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    edited February 14
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

AIUI we only get to 2% because Mr Cameron rolled various non-defence items into the Defence Budget, such as pensions.

Surely you can't object to standardising with our NATO allies?

NATO collects defence expenditure data from Allies and publishes it on a regular basis. Each Ally’s Ministry of Defence reports current and estimated future defence expenditure according to an agreed definition of defence expenditure.... Personnel expenditure includes pensions paid to retirees...

Pension payments made directly by the government to retired military and civilian employees of military departments is included regardless of whether these payments are made from the budget of the MoD or other ministries.

But if you're concerned that the UK is padding its defence spending, then you must presumably be relieved to learn that the UK spends a lower proportion of our defence budget on personnel (31.8%) than every other NATO power except Hungary (29.4%), and that we are one of only eight countries in NATO to meet both the guidelines for defence expenditure as proportion of GDP (2%) and equipment expenditure as percentage of defence expenditure (20%).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,831

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/01/29/the-intermarium/
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

MattW said:

And the other Blucher was sunk at Dogger Bank in 1915.
    What's all this? Eeverone knows that Wellingtons and Bluchers are types of boot.
  • Options

MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Surely you can't object to standardising with our NATO allies?

NATO collects defence expenditure data from Allies and publishes it on a regular basis. Each Ally’s Ministry of Defence reports current and estimated future defence expenditure according to an agreed definition of defence expenditure.... Personnel expenditure includes pensions paid to retirees...

Pension payments made directly by the government to retired military and civilian employees of military departments is included regardless of whether these payments are made from the budget of the MoD or other ministries.
    Sure: but the US includes the entire Veteran Administration budget in its definition of military spending. That provides - for example - all the healthcare for retired US military personnel. While, in the UK for example, healthcare for ex soldiers is provided by the NHS and isn't included.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    On topic why would anyone take any bet that tied their money up for many many years ?

Bookies must be laughing all the way to the Leeds.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Something cheering. For the first time in 40 years, all the scaffolding has been removed from Salisbury Cathedral, and she can now be seen in all her purist beauty. Magnificent and peerless

Worth traveling to from Russia for the day?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,645
    @kinabalu last thread re cats the word used was 'entice an animal' and the example given was as you described and they even interviewed a women who confronted a neighbour who let her cat into their house. Your only hope in avoiding getting banged up in future is the fact that, like most, a barrister interviewed on the program went into full rant mode as to how stupid the proposal was quoting the queue in court for rape cases and we shouldn't be concerned about prosecuting people if cats find a new part time owner.

I think you are ok, but if you cross anyone here they might shop you to the plod. Your own fault by declaring your criminal activities on a public forum. :smiley:
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

2% was a target from another world. 3%, if it is spent well, might be enough.
    I did a quick back pocket the other day and I got to 3.6% being requirer to restore our 1990s capabilities - and that's after Options for Change and the Cold War.

Defence has got much more expensive and high-tech, and we've also sold off a lot of land and infrastructure that'd need to be restored.
  • Options
    Salisbury has a good claim to being the most beautifully situated of all the great European cathedrals
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Errr:

France was at 1.9%, but announced some pretty massive increases in spending last year, so they'll be up at 2.2-2.3% (the same level we'll be at) fairly soon.

The real laggards are Italy (1.7%, but no real movement to close the gap) and Germany (1.4%, which is closing the gap, but it will inevitably take some time when you're so far behind the curve.)
    I don't think 2% equates to being serious.

It's an arbitrary target, which you're right many aren't even meeting as it is, but it's already out of date.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

The UK will not be rejoining the EU.

A perspective from one of our US correspondents...
    Ah, I remember ahead of the last General Election, @Leon told me that - because I lived in California - I knew nothing about UK politics.
  • Options
    edited February 14

From wikipedia, I have discovered that the chap that the sunk Russian ship is named after died on 14th February.

Someone in Ukraine has a unique sense of humour.

Another Ropucha class recommissioned as a submarine? Or TBF this one has been hit twice.

They are becoming as rare as TOS-1 Heavy Flamethrowers ie thermobaric.

Slightly blows the "keep it moving to keep it safe" theory.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,219
    rcs1000 said:

Ah yes, but if we were to join the EU, think of all those left wing Labour MEPs we'd be sending to Strasbourg.
    The journey, in certain quarters, from "we must stay in the EU because they are sophisticated continentals who civilise us" to "we must rejoin the EU to save the natives from themselves" has been amusingly rapid.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Worth traveling to from Russia for the day?
    It in spires them.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Errr:

I don't think 2% equates to being serious.

It's an arbitrary target, which you're right many aren't even meeting as it is, but it's already out of date.
    I think pretty much everyone has 20% real terms moves planned for the next three years. Now, you can argue that it should be more, but it's definitely heading in the right direction.
This discussion has been closed.