Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Life after Sunak – Tory Leadership Contenders – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,921
edited February 15 in General
imageLife after Sunak – Tory Leadership Contenders – politicalbetting.com

The next Tory Leadership contest should be one of the most fiercely fought for some time. Rather than choosing a new Prime Minister, it is highly likely the Tories will select a new leader at the same time as coming to terms with a significant, possibly even landslide, election defeat.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 117,070
    edited February 10
    First
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 51,227
    ON topic, Twickers should definitely sing a Smiths song when the game is drifting, to capture the maudlin mood

Girlfriend in a Coma?

Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want?
  • Options
    I think Dave is the one if Sunak falls under a bus and we need a PM PDQ for emergencies but I am not backing that eventuality.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,771
    How the flip is Kemi Badenoch top dog?
    Only eclipsed in her comprehensive uselessness as a Minister by Laura Trott yesterday
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,675

Only eclipsed in her comprehensive uselessness as a Minister by Laura Trott yesterday

Apparently because she’s anti-woke she’s the latest flavour of the month.
  • Options

It's deeply depressing for the Tories

I recommend reading the Times article on her. It's clearly meant as a way of bigging her up, but for me it does the opposite. Makes her feel insubstantial, thinly ideological, and not very British
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 30,287
    "Doctor who said Hammersmith would be better without Jews not racist, GMC finds

The gynaecologist was ruled by the doctors’ regulator to be 'comfortable with discriminatory language' and suspended for three months"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/10/doctor-not-racist-jews-antisemitism-three-month-ban-gmc/
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,256

I think Dave is the one if Sunak falls under a bus and we need a PM PDQ for emergencies but I am not backing that eventuality.

DC back as FS was one of those real 'out of the blue' outcomes. You'd need to have been privy to private comms in order to see it coming.

Michelle Obama changing her mind about entering politics would fall into the same category.

These things are inherently hard to price.
  • Options
    So the next stage of making Gaza un-inhabitable is destroying Rafah . Where are 1.2 million people supposed to evacuate to?

Netanyahu clearly wants to drag this out for as long as possible as that’s the only way he remains PM .

• Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Slim pickings indeed here. My money is staying in my pocket on this market, but gun to head I’d go Braverman as she’s in an ultra safe seat, has an extensive nutbag constituency in the party and the Tories have still not quite hit their rock bottom - they need go the full NatCon to actually exorcise it and move on back to become a vaguely sensible and electable party again.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

So the next stage of making Gaza un-inhabitable is destroying Rafah . Where are 1.2 million people supposed to evacuate to?

Netanyahu clearly wants to drag this out for as long as possible as that’s the only way he remains PM .

This is an opportunity for Starmer not to be a dick. Condemn it now!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,201

Because of clueless twats like our Leon.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Leon said:

I recommend reading the Times article on her. It's clearly meant as a way of bigging her up, but for me it does the opposite. Makes me feel insubstantial, thinly ideological, and not very British
    With such insight and astonishing ability to awaken self-awareness in others, maybe we should give her a second look?
  • Options
    edited February 10
    IanB2 said:

I know I am, in your eyes, responsible for most of the world's ills, but seeing as I am not a Tory member and have no role in Tory politics I'm not sure how I have elevated Kemi Badenoch to her favourite status

Nice tho. If I can do that, what else can I do?!
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Scotland are doing a good job of introducing new songs and singing to their rugby crowds. The Proclaimers. Bonny Bonny banks etc

England should copy. Suggestions for songs?

Beatles? Hey Jude?

Wonderwall
    This Town Ain't Big Enough For The Both Of Us.

(Like many Sparks songs has very droll lyrics if you can make them out.)
    Wouid anyone know it?

They need a really thumping singalong chorus

Pretty Vacant might work?
    Never Let Me Down Again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snILjFUkk_A&t=9s
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TBF, and I hate to be fair to Leon, he has just condemned her down thread quoting a Times fan-piece/expose.
  • Options

Dave = Unelected Has-Been!
  • Options
    Perhaps more worrying for the Conservatives is that they seem to lack people who:

1) Understand what they've done well in government
    2) Have an idea about what the UK's problems are

The only one who seems to have a clue is Jeremy Hunt.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,109
    I don’t find Kemi “not-British”.
    She’s married to a Scotsman, and she’s not really part of this globally transient cosmopolitan class.

I personally find her more British than Sunak, who gives every sign of hoping to move to California when he is finally ejected by the public.
  • Options
    Scotland have messed this up, they should be 10 points ahead. France will sneak it
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,203
    This far out, the usual rule of thumb is to lay the favourite.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,597
    Leon said:

Scotland have messed this up, they should be 10 points ahead. France will sneak it

Is this a classic Leondamus call ?

It’s a good game.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,462
    That is a very poor quality field for the Tories. Is this parade of non-entities and vapid ideologues really the best that our natural party of government has to offer? Labour might be in power for a while at this rate.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,739

Perhaps more worrying for the Conservatives is that they seem to lack people who:

Don't disagree. But understanding what they've done badly would be even more useful, though.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Andy_JS said:

The gynaecologist was ruled by the doctors’ regulator to be 'comfortable with discriminatory language' and suspended for three months"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/10/doctor-not-racist-jews-antisemitism-three-month-ban-gmc/

Sounds a lovely guy. Never used names when an epithet would do. But reading it, they didn't rule he was not a racist. They said their ruling didn't extend to saying he was or he wasn't.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

I know I am, in your eyes, responsible for most of the world's ills, but seeing as I am not a Tory member and have no role in Tory politics I'm not sure how I have elevated Kemi Badenoch to her favourite status

No, you have it wrong.

Personally, you are responsible for remarkably little. There’s really not much harm you can do, making up stories for people to read on long National Express coach journeys, and posting drunken rants from some anonymous lonely Asian hotel room on a discussion forum, waiting for your latest booking to knock on the door.

But as an exemplar, you do illustrate so much that is very wrong with the modern world.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Is this a classic Leondamus call ?

It’s a good game.
    It is

This is a pretty average France team, way beneath their level of 2022-3. They are there for the taking if Scotland get a grip
  • Options
    Leon said:

ON topic, Twickers should definitely sing a Smiths song when the game is drifting, to capture the maudlin mood

Girlfriend in a Coma?

Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want?

Maybe they won’t. Isn’t Morrissey persona non grata now.

Remember this. Merseyrail pandering to an idiot.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48393548
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 46,451
    kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds a lovely guy. Never used names when an epithet would do. But reading it, they didn't rule he wasn't racist. They said their ruling didn't extend to saying he was or he wasn't.
    I do wonder what

- The GMC
    - The gynaecologist

Would make of statements that Hammersmith would be better if free of

- Black people
    - White people
    - Muslims
    - Hindus
    - Norse worshipers
    - Yazidis
    - Orange people

• Options

Have to be a very low floor bus, then.

On topic, the most right wing candidate presented to the membership wins.

So for Kemi to win, she has to get Braverman knocked out in an MP round. Possible, but unlikely.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Scotland are doing a good job of introducing new songs and singing to their rugby crowds. The Proclaimers. Bonny Bonny banks etc

Beatles? Hey Jude?

Wonderwall

Wouid anyone know it?

The Kinks are very English. But not Lola (unsuitable divisive subject matter) or Waterloo Sunset (too Londoncentric).

So Sunny Afternoon, say.

Easy to imagine that rolling around Twickers after a stirring win.
    Nice. The Kinks are an inspired choice - so English - and yes I'd go for Waterloo Sunset or Lola (consider them unifying)
    Mister Woke War can’t do Lola though, I bet 😄
  • Options
    Leon said:

I recommend reading the Times article on her. It's clearly meant as a way of bigging her up, but for me it does the opposite. Makes her feel insubstantial, thinly ideological, and not very British
    Its rather vacuous but its similar to all the 'I dislike posh lefties' backgrounds of many non-stereotype Conservatives.

The only difference being that her background is non-standard on racial rather than on class or geographic grounds.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Carnyx said:

Don't disagree. But understanding what they've done badly would be even more useful, though.
    A lot to wade through there. Chunky syllabus.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,563

Read the Tory party constitution - Dave needs to be an MP. Firstly he isn't one and secondly exactly where is a safe seat going to appear that the current tory party could win in a byelection..
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

No, you have it wrong.

Personally, you are responsible for remarkably little. There’s really not much harm you can do, making up stories for people to read on long National Express coach journeys, and posting drunken rants from some anonymous lonely Asian hotel room on a discussion forum, waiting for your latest booking to knock on the door.

But as an exemplar, you do illustrate so much that is very wrong with the modern world.
    You are personally obsessed with me, it is quite peculiar

I almost never mention you by name unless you are in an actual exchange with me, you constantly mention me even if I'm not here

It's a bit like I'm the Jews in 1923 and you're a young Adolf Hitler sullenly hawking his paintings im Munich. I am somehow to blame for everything with my weird scheming, even though I am simultaneously meaningless and powerless

Think I've nailed it. You're the first person to have an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory about one person, you've never met, who is not Jewish
  • Options
    Oh FFS Scotland. Throwing this away. So many chances
  • Options
    eek said:

Read the Tory party constitution - Dave needs to be an MP. Firstly he isn't one and secondly exactly where is a safe seat going to appear that the current tory party could win in a byelection..
    Just imagine. You'd get LDs attracted to it like dung-beetles to a fresh deposition of Brontosaurus manure. And he'd be squeezed between them and Reform.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Indeed.

Its effectively the other side of the coin.

They need to start with rentierism and crony capitalism.

Plus the hypocrisy of a party which preaches about individual responsibility failing to apply it in their own personal conduct.
  • Options
    The obvious name missing from this list - and of course I understand why - is Nigel Farage
  • Options
    Have we discussed this?

Why cash is king at London’s best pub

One boozer has found a novel way to look out for its older customer

Five years ago a government review into access to cash warned that Britain was “sleepwalking into a cashless society”.

Yes, the proportion of payments made using physical pounds and pence has fallen dramatically but millions of people still rely on cash.

While businesses large and small have gone card-only, some are fighting back – and thriving as a result.

Voted London’s best pub by Time Out magazine last year, Skehan’s, in Nunhead, south-east London, has kept prices low and made sure regulars keep coming back by protecting the use of cash.

While rivals have turned to underhanded methods such as charging customers American-style tips on pints or introducing “surge pricing” for drinking during “peak hours”, the independent family-owned pub has one rule: cash is king.

Despite the dominance of card payments in recent years, fuelled by the introduction of Apple Pay and Google Pay which allow customers to pay with a wave of their mobile phones, the Irish pub insists all orders under £10 are paid for with cash.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/london-best-pub-fighting-back-war-on-cash-skehans-nunhead/
  • Options

Have we discussed this?

Five years ago a government review into access to cash warned that Britain was “sleepwalking into a cashless society”.

Yes, the proportion of payments made using physical pounds and pence has fallen dramatically but millions of people still rely on cash.

While businesses large and small have gone card-only, some are fighting back – and thriving as a result.

Voted London’s best pub by Time Out magazine last year, Skehan’s, in Nunhead, south-east London, has kept prices low and made sure regulars keep coming back by protecting the use of cash.

While rivals have turned to underhanded methods such as charging customers American-style tips on pints or introducing “surge pricing” for drinking during “peak hours”, the independent family-owned pub has one rule: cash is king.

Despite the dominance of card payments in recent years, fuelled by the introduction of Apple Pay and Google Pay which allow customers to pay with a wave of their mobile phones, the Irish pub insists all orders under £10 are paid for with cash.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/london-best-pub-fighting-back-war-on-cash-skehans-nunhead/

Not all heroes wear capes :wink:
  • Options
    Leon said:

The obvious name missing from this list - and of course I understand why - is Nigel Farage

I refer you to @MarqueeMark 's comments on this.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,797
    Perhaps Kemi Badenoch risks being the Ron DeSantis of British politics, not able to break out the pigeonhole marked culture warrior.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,883

She’s married to a Scotsman, and she’s not really part of this globally transient cosmopolitan class.

I personally find her more British than Sunak, who gives every sign of hoping to move to California when he is finally ejected by the public.

Prediction: when KWV does succeed his father to the throne, Sunak will be the only former PM not present at the Accession Council, due to being in California.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,529
    China escalating against Messi

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68261461
  • Options

Have we discussed this?

What a civilised institution.
  • Options
    eek said:

But this is about the next PM market, do not need to be an MP to be PM.
  • Options

Leon said:

I don't recall what he has opined. What's the gist?

Farage is a much smarter, cannier politician than anyone on this list. He could electrify the Tories if he took over

Of course he would drive away many, but he would also attract many; and if the Tories take such a terrible Cholon Ducking in the GE they go under 100 seats, might they not care?

• Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,584

If Penny Mordaunt doesnt run, or loses her seat, I wonder if Tom Tugendhat could inherit her support and scrape through to the final two - presumably the other being Kemi. Suspect Suella, who has managed to fall out with both Liz and Rishi, will struggle with the MPs.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Farage is a much smarter, cannier politician than anyone on this list. He could electrify the Tories if he took over

Of course he would drive away many, but he would also attract many; and if the Tories take such a terrible Cholon Ducking in the GE they go under 100 seats, might they not care?

'Farage can fuck right off.'

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4599280/#Comment_4599280

Which was on this thread.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/11/10/the-king-over-the-water-for-the-tories/
  • Options

Perhaps Kemi Badenoch risks being the Ron DeSantis of British politics, not able to break out the pigeonhole marked culture warrior.

It’s her own fault . She’s an overhyped and over promoted waste of space .
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

Sounds a lovely guy. Never used names when an epithet would do. But reading it, they didn't rule he wasn't racist. They said their ruling didn't extend to saying he was or he wasn't.
    I do wonder what

- The GMC
    - The gynaecologist

- Black people
    - White people
    - Muslims
    - Hindus
    - Norse worshipers
    - Yazidis
    - Orange people
    Yes. Although I'd rather not find out.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    On topic.

“Parties seem to direct inwards after defeats.”

But what is type for the Tories these days?

Sunak seems to sit comfortably beside Meloni, Badenoch hand in hand with De Santis, Truss leading politician for Institute of Economic Affairs.

I have a pony on Claire Coutinho, as sometimes in politics the negatives of some politicians gets them knocked out of contests, and a blank canvass is projected on unknown person as all things to all factions - provided they look and sound the part, and Coutinho is a strong, spiky communicator.

Got to go now. Bit of a do tonight, and I’m helping in the kitchen 🙋‍♀️
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Same problem as Boris.

He's not an MP, he's not even a candidate.

First, it will take an implausibly selfless Conservative leader to invite them into the fold.

Second, it would require an awfully safe seat for them to win.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/11/10/the-king-over-the-water-for-the-tories/
    lol

It all depends how bad their defeat is

It is conceivable they actually go extinct - well under 100 seats, perhaps under 50 - and at that point all bets are off. They may find themselves begging Farage to unite them with Reform, and revive the Right

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,968
    Leon said:

Leon said:

In such a circumstance he would need to.
    1 Join (and be accepted into) the Tory Party.
    2 Get someone to step aside from what would be an effective sinecure to force a by election.
    3 Win that by-election.
    4 All before nominations for a leadership election have closed.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

It is conceivable they actually go extinct - well under 100 seats, perhaps under 50 - and at that point all bets are off. They may find themselves begging Farage to unite them with Reform, and revive the Right

And this

Farage would be a Poundland Boris.

He can't even deliver himself a seat in Westminster. He wouldn't have delivered Brexit. He needed Boris to be the front man for that to happen.

The odious twat can carry on being snug in Trump's lower intestine.
  • Options

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Beatles? Hey Jude?

Wonderwall

Wouid anyone know it?

The Kinks are very English. But not Lola (unsuitable divisive subject matter) or Waterloo Sunset (too Londoncentric).

So Sunny Afternoon, say.

Nice. The Kinks are an inspired choice - so English - and yes I'd go for Waterloo Sunset or Lola (consider them unifying)
    That was my point. Not so much about Leon specifically but about the rugger crowd. They won't embrace Lola as their anthem because it features a woman with a penis and that flies in the face of commonsense.
  • Options
    Dismal rugby. Two mediocre teams
  • Options

On topic.

“Parties seem to direct inwards after defeats.”

But what is type for the Tories these days?

Sunak seems to sit comfortably beside Meloni, Badenoch hand in hand with De Santis, Truss leading politician for Institute of Economic Affairs.

I have a pony on Claire Coutinho, as sometimes in politics the negatives of some politicians gets them knocked out of contests, and a blank canvass is projected on unknown person as all things to all factions - provided they look and sound the part, and Coutinho is a strong, spiky communicator.

Got to go now. Bit of a do tonight, and I’m helping in the kitchen 🙋‍♀️

If history rhymes, first as tragedy, then as farce, CC is a big Hague-y. Cabinet experience, but not really complicit in the bad memories, young enough to grown into the job, and a blank canvas to project onto. Downside of being seen as continuity Sunak.

But as Jim Hacker's Chief Whip put it "Who is suitable? You can't tell until you suck it and see."
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

In such a circumstance he would need to.
    1 Join (and be accepted into) the Tory Party.
    2 Get someone to step aside from what would be an effective sinecure to force a by election.
    3 Win that by-election.
    4 All before nominations for a leadership election have closed.
    Also

5. Farage has to want this - and there isn't much evidence of that

I want it to happen for the Lolz, but I accept there are almost insurmountable obstacles
  • Options
    @leon damus May be right !!
  • Options
    Taz said:

@leon damus May be right !!

This is not a great advert for Six Nations rugby. Dire
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 46,451
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I do wonder what

- The GMC
    - The gynaecologist

- Black people
    - White people
    - Muslims
    - Hindus
    - Norse worshipers
    - Yazidis
    - Orange people
    I would.

If you don’t know, neither the GMC or the gynaecologist are any better or worse. They are no different.

But if you know, you have facts. Which a valuable things, of themselves.
  • Options
    Scotland have thrown this away, it was there to be taken
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,652

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

And this

Farage would be a Poundland Boris.

He can't even deliver himself a seat in Westminster. He wouldn't have delivered Brexit. He needed Boris to be the front man for that to happen.

The odious twat can carry on being snug in Trump's lower intestine.
    It was Cameron who delivered Brexit by his masterful incompetence in campaigning for Remain.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 5,127
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Beatles? Hey Jude?

Wonderwall

Wouid anyone know it?

So Sunny Afternoon, say.

That was my point. Not so much about Leon specifically but about the rugger crowd. They won't embrace Lola as their anthem because it features a woman with a penis and that flies in the face of commonsense.
    You have been deprived of contact with English rugby players and fans where every one of them has an absolutely hilarious tale about that time they got arseholed in Putney in that private room above the pub singing “father Abraham” naked with their pants on their heads then, as it was one of his stag do’s, Barney was tied to a chair and a stripper walked in and it turned out it was a chick with a dick. It was totally hilaire because Barney was so banjaxxed he didn’t realise until he had the strippers cock resting on top of his head.

So I think plenty of people at Twickenham are used to the concept of a woman with a penis.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,462

Have we discussed this?

Yes. The secret at Skehans is to buy yourself two drinks, if you've got no cash and you're not buying drinks for anyone else. I have to say though, most people do pay with card or app there. It is only a minority paying with cash although I reckon my next door neighbour probably does.
    The best thing about Skehans is that it is incredibly well staffed. I don't think I've ever waited for more than a couple of minutes to get served. It is an awesome pub, so glad that it is a three minute walk from my house!
  • Options
    Tense ending !
  • Options
    edited February 10
    The curse of Leondamus strikes again.

Edit - What a bollocks decision by the TMO.
  • Options
    Have France effed it up
  • Options

Respect due to @Leon damus

Should have been a try.

Cracking match.
  • Options
    Utter bollocks by the TMO, worst decision against the Scots since the RWC 2015.
  • Options
    Scots have a genuine claim they were robbed
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,061
    Umpire's call
  • Options

Have we discussed this?

Yes. The secret at Skehans is to buy yourself two drinks, if you've got no cash and you're not buying drinks for anyone else. I have to say though, most people do pay with card or app there. It is only a minority paying with cash although I reckon my next door neighbour probably does.
    The best thing about Skehans is that it is incredibly well staffed. I don't think I've ever waited for more than a couple of minutes to get served. It is an awesome pub, so glad that it is a three minute walk from my house!
    Cashless payments in pubs does speed things up.

All we need now is for people to stop buying Guinness and those poncy lagers that dribble out of a tap 6 feet in the air and we'd be sorted.
  • Options
    boulay said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Beatles? Hey Jude?

Wonderwall

Wouid anyone know it?

So Sunny Afternoon, say.

You have been deprived of contact with English rugby players and fans where every one of them has an absolutely hilarious tale about that time they got arseholed in Putney in that private room above the pub singing “father Abraham” naked with their pants on their heads then, as it was one of his stag do’s, Barney was tied to a chair and a stripper walked in and it turned out it was a chick with a dick. It was totally hilaire because Barney was so banjaxxed he didn’t realise until he had the strippers cock resting on top of his head.

So I think plenty of people at Twickenham are used to the concept of a woman with a penis.
    Also, the posh English rugby crowd already sing a n*gro spiritual, so a song about a ladyboy shouldn't worry them too much
  • Options

But who would have had the downward pressure on the ball if it was a try ?
  • Options
    Where the fuck could the ball have gone once it rolled off the foot/leg other than the line?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,647

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I do wonder what

- The GMC
    - The gynaecologist

- Black people
    - White people
    - Muslims
    - Hindus
    - Norse worshipers
    - Yazidis
    - Orange people

Another sign of how muddle-headed people are about these issues.

They concluded - ridiculously - that "yew" (which was simply his pronunciation of the word "Jew") was a "racially offensive" term.

Yet despite his yearning for a Jew-free Hammersmith, made no finding as to whether he was a racist (inevitably reported, given the execrable state of journalism today, as a finding that he was "not racist").

• Options
    Taz said:

Should have been a try.

Cracking match.
    Was it a cracking match?

Second half was dreadful, but a brilliant ending. Scots were robbed
  • Options

Have we discussed this?

Cashless payments in pubs does speed things up.

All we need now is for people to stop buying Guinness and those poncy lagers that dribble out of a tap 6 feet in the air and we'd be sorted.
    Or effing coffees from those absurd machines
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860

That is a very poor quality field for the Tories. Is this parade of non-entities and vapid ideologues really the best that our natural party of government has to offer? Labour might be in power for a while at this rate.

There is a lack of quality on all sides. The rush to the fringes we experienced post 2015 saw an exodus of decent centrists (not just on the parliamentary benches but in the wider party machines and membership); Labour had the first brain drain but the Tories were just a couple of years later. As has been talked about here passim the toxicity of the political career itself really doesn’t not help either.

Hard to believe at the time that the likes of Hancock and Shapps were not the bottom of the barrel, but so it turned out.

I think if/when we get PM Starmer and the first Labour cabinet we’ll see a pretty middleweight (at best) bunch, and it is far from obvious who will eventually succeed SKS.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Beatles? Hey Jude?

Wonderwall

Wouid anyone know it?

So Sunny Afternoon, say.

Also, the posh English rugby crowd already sing a n*gro spiritual, so a song about a ladyboy shouldn't worry them too much
    I would suggest "I'm a Wanker" as the most appropriate song for England Rugby Union supporters.
  • Options
    I am fuming at this decision and I am not even Scottish.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 119,527
    edited February 10
    Certainly if the relatively centrist Sunak and Hunt lose the next general election, the odds are that they will take the blame and the party will shift back in a more rightwing direction.

If party members alone had the final say Badenoch would be odds on the be next Conservative leader and Leader of the Opposition. However when she stood last summer neither she, nor Braverman nor even Mordaunt go enough support from Tory MPs to make the final 2 to get to the membership.

Other Cabinet members like Cleverly or Barclay therefore would come into contention as they are more likely to get support amongst Conservative MPs. However Cleverly may have damaged his chances with his poor taste 'date rape' joke so Barclay, a Leaver but not ERG, a former Health Secretary and current Environment Secretary might be a good outside bet to be the Hague or Ed Miliband figure to take over in Opposition. Barclay also backed Sunak for leader last year and I would expect much of Sunak's parliamentary backing to shift to him. Tugendhat would also likely stand again and probably pick up support from the One Nation wing of Tory MPs. Jenrick I don't think has much support in the House or amongst members
  • Options
    Respect to @Penddu2 for calling the French victory

Also, Scotland were extremely lucky against Wales, today their luck ran out
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Andy_JS said:

I do wonder what

- The GMC
    - The gynaecologist

- Black people
    - White people
    - Muslims
    - Hindus
    - Norse worshipers
    - Yazidis
    - Orange people
    I would.

If you don’t know, neither the GMC or the gynaecologist are any better or worse. They are no different.

But if you know, you have facts. Which a valuable things, of themselves.
    Yes but I don't want to unearth a gynaecologist with a grudge against everybody. If one comes forward, fine, but I'm not rooting for it.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

lol

If the Tories went under 50 seats Reform would almost certainly have overtaken them, at least on votes, so Farage would effectively be in a position to take the Tories over. If the Tories got 200 seats+ Boris might be tempted by a comeback if he can find a seat in Opposition and the new Tory leader proves a dud, Sunak and Hunt his previous nemesis', having already left the scene after leading the party to general election defeat
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,480
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Should have been a try.

Cracking match.
    Was it a cracking match?

Yes, the second half was tedious ping pong. Normally when teams dish that out they get accused of destroying the game.
  • Options

Dave has more chance of LD members electing him next LD leader than Conservative members electing him next Conservative leader ie zero
  • Options

Leon said:

Taz said:

Should have been a try.

Cracking match.
    Was it a cracking match?

Yes, the second half was tedious ping pong. Normally when teams dish that out they get accused of destroying the game.
    Scotland had multiple chances so stretch their lead and win the game. Tut
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Certainly if the relatively centrist Sunak and Hunt lose the next general election, the odds are that they will take the blame and the party will shift back in a more rightwing direction.

If party members alone had the final say Badenoch would be odds on the be next Conservative leader and Leader of the Opposition. However when she stood last summer neither she, nor Braverman nor even Mordaunt go enough support from Tory MPs to make the final 2 to get to the membership.

Other Cabinet members like Cleverly or Barclay therefore would come into contention as they are more likely to get support amongst Conservative MPs. However Cleverly may have damaged his chances with his poor taste 'date rape' joke so Barclay, a Leaver but not ERG, a former Health Secretary and current Environment Secretary might be a good outside bet to be the Hague or Ed Miliband figure to take over in Opposition. Barclay also backed Sunak for leader last year and I would expect much of Sunak's parliamentary backing to shift to him. Tugendhat would also likely stand again and probably pick up support from the One Nation wing of Tory MPs. Jenrick I don't think has much support in the House or amongst members

Regarding Barclay, I'm not sure that "Continuity Abject Failure" is a recipe for success.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dave has more chance of LD members electing him next LD leader than Conservative members electing him next Conservative leader ie zero
    You need to read, I am talking about the next PM market.
  • Options

Leon said:

Taz said:

Should have been a try.

Cracking match.
    Was it a cracking match?

No, it was a cracking game.

It was tense and it was close. Was it a classic or technicallly brilliant, Of course not, but it was entertaining. Ping pong. For a minute or so out of 40.
  • Options

eek said:

But this is about the next PM market, do not need to be an MP to be PM.
    Conservative PM must be Conservative party leader who must be an MP. What is often missed is that if you squint hard enough, Cameron can be an MP while keeping his peerage provided he rescinds his right to sit in the Lords. (And iirc but cannot be bothered to check, is that he can be Tory leader without being a member of the party, but they might have fixed that loophole.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You need to read, I am talking about the next PM market.
    He wouldn't get that either, Tory MPs wouldn't pick him now either and he couldn't do the job from the Lords. He can be FS there but that is it
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Should have been a try.

Cracking match.
    Was it a cracking match?

It was close, tense and dramatic. It was compelling. It was great drama.

I’ve enjoyed watching it far more than games that are technically better but not as close.
  • Options
    Presumably the Nick Berry from the Rugby isn’t the one from Heartbeat
This discussion has been closed.