Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump goes on the offensive threatening Haley’s donors – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited January 25
    The CPS reached the conclusion that “There was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction for murder” in the case of Valdo Colocane
    Does this mean they think the jury would find him Not Guilty if he had been tried for murder? What would have happened to him in that scenario?

"He believed his mind was being controlled by external influences and that his family was in danger if he didn't obey the voices in his head."

Chief crown prosecutor for the east midlands Janine McKinney speaking about killer Valdo Calocane.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1750499918463037823?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options

I applied for a job hanging mirrors.

It's something I can see myself doing.

When I go to work, I hide.

Good employees are hard to find.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,767
    Agreed, Stokes is a much better Captain!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,135
    nico679 said:

Some of you may remember that a few months back I asked on here for some advice about buying a bookshop.
    Well, it's been a longer journey than I expected, but as of today, I am the owner and proprietor of The Book Ferret*, High Street, Arundel.
    You're very welcome to drop in and say hello!

*New name (already decided and approved) will be announced in a few months.

Good luck . There are far too few independent book shops . Arundel is a lovely place and full of charm .

As an aside I think it’s marvelous that things like Kindle never took off and people will forever love reading an actual book.
    My Kindle has been sitting on my desk for months. I usually only read in on holiday. At home I have shelves of real books to choose from.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,826

Some of you may remember that a few months back I asked on here for some advice about buying a bookshop.
    Well, it's been a longer journey than I expected, but as of today, I am the owner and proprietor of The Book Ferret*, High Street, Arundel.

Best of British - and Irish - luck to yez!

BTW (also FYI) to encourage sales, suggest placing the Psephology section next the Erotica section.

Profitable synergy re: horny psephologists and jaded eroticists!

Hooray! I love Arundel - been a very long time since I've been there as I now live in Scotland. What a great place for a second hand bookshop. I believe I've patronised one of your competitors (if it's still there).

Very best of good luck to you. I believe Mortimer runs a book business also.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 672

BTW (also FYI) to encourage sales, suggest placing the Psephology section next the Erotica section.

Hooray! I love Arundel - been a very long time since I've been there as I now live in Scotland. What a great place for a second hand bookshop. I believe I've patronised one of your competitors (if it's still there).

You'll have been to Kim's at the bottom of the hill, I guess. But The Book Ferret sells new books! So we're not competing.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,377

With dog. For scale. I approve.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,826

You'll have been to Kim's at the bottom of the hill, I guess. But The Book Ferret sells new books! So we're not competing.
    Sorry, reading half the post...
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037
    Andy_JS said:

ITV for their Tonight Programme films a meeting with the Post Office Minister, Kevin Holllinrake, and SPM Jo Hamilton and the first thing he says to her is 'sorry'

Maybe if Davey had done the same it would have been wise

I should say I knew Kevin many years ago through business, and he was very competent and successful in his business

I can't understand Davey's approach. Maybe he's just so used to being the one calling for other people to say sorry.
    Because if he apologises, it's an admission he has done something wrong
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,377

nico679 said:

Good luck . There are far too few independent book shops . Arundel is a lovely place and full of charm .

As an aside I think it’s marvelous that things like Kindle never took off and people will forever love reading an actual book.
    My Kindle has been sitting on my desk for months. I usually only read in on holiday. At home I have shelves of real books to choose from.
    It's not clear cut. Hardbacks last but are large and expensive. Paperbacks are small and cheap but decay. Kindles are small but require an account(?) and purchases may be withdrawn. Basically I have enough money to buy them but maintenance is an ever-increasing problem.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,318

Amazing! Congratulations. We have friends in Arundel so hopefully we may be able to visit the shop one day.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,711
    nico679 said:

He has Kim’s, ”possibly the best bookshop in the UK”, just down the street? A tough gig indeed; the best of luck!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

With dog. For scale. I approve.
    The shop is well known for its bookshop dogs, so Essie (pictured) will be taking up that mantle. But she is also for scale.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

He has Kim’s, ”possibly the best bookshop in the UK”, just down the street? A tough gig indeed; the best of luck!
    I love Kim's too - but they're second hand, and TBF isn't, so it's fine
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,430
    viewcode said:

nico679 said:

It's not clear cut. Hardbacks last but are large and expensive. Paperbacks are small and cheap but decay. Kindles are small but require an account(?) and purchases may be withdrawn. Basically I have enough money to buy them but maintenance is an ever-increasing problem.
    For me the kindle wins because I can continue reading using it's backlight while Mrs Eek goes to sleep.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,868

The salience of criminal justice could increase in the wake of the Nottingham case. The state is failing to do its job on many levels.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1750497647855554756

https://x.com/talktv/status/1750496181216498167

The state may be failing at many levels, but the manslaughter pleas are absolutely right in law, and the prosecution would have been wrong to go ahead on any other basis. It had no evidence base to do so. Nor on the whole should people as dreadfully ill as the defendant be kept in mainstream prisons. Nor, of course, should he be let out. The plea recognises a real and realistic degree of culpability.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,929
    The Australian Cook-must-fall item upthread is quite interesting because they have very little indigenous population and nor any substantial black community either.

So are the statue-topplers demanding their own repatriation?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,297
    isam said:

The CPS reached the conclusion that “There was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction for murder” in the case of Valdo Colocane
    Does this mean they think the jury would find him Not Guilty if he had been tried for murder? What would have happened to him in that scenario?

"He believed his mind was being controlled by external influences and that his family was in danger if he didn't obey the voices in his head."

Chief crown prosecutor for the east midlands Janine McKinney speaking about killer Valdo Calocane.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1750499918463037823?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Not guilty by reason of insanity. Hence he will spend life in a secure mental hospital.

I have visited our local one to see patients. It isn't very different to prison in terms of security.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Oh dear ..poor TSE...Klopp is leaving
This discussion has been closed.