Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump goes on the offensive threatening Haley’s donors – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,898

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Apologies for Carol Vorderman's language.

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1750529616887021799

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    Nicola Sturgeon used the following descriptors #CovidInquiry
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Matt Hancock - "weaker than a Nun's pis*"
    Liz Truss - "about as much use as a Marzipan Dildo"
    Suella Braverman - "Shitler"
    Boris Johnson - "A fu*king clown"

I haven't heard of a #MarzipanDildo…"

I read that earlier on what looked like a parody account

Here it is

https://x.com/politicoforyou/status/1750486431871480106?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
    While you're on Isam could you recall those two troll flags you gave me yesterday in ten minute succession for my support for the banning of Zombie knives. Particularly as 24 hours later Chris Philp declared the banning of Zombie knives Government ( your Government) policy. Thanks. Pete.
    No problem. I didn’t say banning them was a good or bad thing but, always on the front foot to get on my nerves, you felt the need to start trying to make an argument about it

Actually, the dig at St Keir was his writing exclusively for the paper he said he wouldn’t give interviews to during his leadership election campaign
    So unflag me. I don't flag you. My point was a serious one, now agreed by HMG.

You bellyache about how hard done by, you are on here, and then you behave like that. Please unflag.
    There's no need to flag me, because I don't constantly try to start arguments with the same person every day, plus I try to actually read what people are saying before jumping in.

I linked to St Keir's piece about Zombie knives in The Sun. I didn't say he was wrong or right in what he said at all. You decided to try and start an argument about something I hadn't said, because you always do. I couldn't be bothered with it, so flagged you as a troll. No big deal really
    Isn't this supposed to be a debating forum? I don't flag you because I am not a child. Sometimes you post things which outrage me, but I am not minded to flag you several times over just to piss you off.

If the standard of debate is so demeaned by randomly flagging people on this site, you can stick your site and your flags where the sun don't shine.

For the record I was making a point I agreed with Starmer (and now the Government) over.

Idiot.
    Forgive my ignorance but what does flagging someone do and how do you know who has flagged you

As I haven't ever done it I have often wondered what it's purpose was
    It is supposed to flag up spammers/trolls, it sends an alert to Robert and Mike.

Robert gets quite annoyed by people who misuse that button as it not supposed to be used as a disagree button.
    I remember @MaxPB once flagged one of RCS' own posts.

Somehow, he didn't get banned.

I can only conclude that he's the other, er, another Radiohead fan.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,708
    Jenkins:

The trouble is that as the election approaches, Tory MPs worry less about their party winning and more about losing their seats and their jobs.

Facing almost certain failure, [Sunak’s] mission was to steady the ship. He needed to clear up the budgetary aftermath of the pandemic and the chaotic legacy of Johnson and Truss. He had to make a Tory vote in 2024 seem like one for stability and common sense.

All prime ministers have tended to depart office with a fatal phrase stamped as a memorial on their graves. For Margaret Thatcher it was the poll tax, for Tony Blair Iraq, for David Cameron it was Brexit and for Johnson it was Partygate. Sunak’s memorial is destined to be Rwanda. Braverman’s Rwanda was the prime minister’s great mistake.

Whatever the legality of any British deportation, it seems unlikely that a single plane will depart by election time, let alone a single migrant be shown as deterred. The reality is that illegal migration into Britain from continental Europe has one solution, and that lies in Europe. All else is pretence.

If he has any concern for his reputation he will shelve Rwanda, cast aside his fixation on tax cuts and do everything to rescue public services, whose state is the most glaring failure of modern British government. He should want it to be said of him that, in whatever shambles he left the Tory party, at least he did the right thing for the country.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,000
    Late afternoon all :)

An unexpected and not unwelcome early end to the working day.

One or two getting over-excited at the Savanta poll and playing the old "let's add all the Reform vote to the Conservatives" schtick. All the evidence suggests even if Reform ran no candidates, at best a third of their vote would go to the Conservatives - about a sixth would go to Labour and half would stay at home.

A range of between 20% and 29% for Conservative vote share is enormous - starting from the viewpoint all polls are wrong is one thing but that degree of variation is hard to understand but suggests variations in sampling and methodology which make trying to see the wood for the trees tricky.

Not many clues to be gained from local by elections in the short term and it may be we won't know a lot more until Kingswood and Wellingborough poll in three weeks.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,898

Ghedebrav said:

148grss said:

FPT:

Trump has released a video on dismantling the deep state:

https://x.com/leadingreport/status/1750332674701463838

Trump’s plan to dismantle the ‘Deep State':

1. Immediately reissue 2020 executive order restoring the president’s authority to remove rogue bureaucrats and wield that power “very aggressively."

2. Clean out all the corrupt actors in our national security and intelligence apparatus.

3. Totally reform FISA courts.

4. Establish a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to declassify and publish all documents on the deep state’s spying, censorship, and corruption.

5. Launch a major crackdown on government leakers who collude with “fake news to deliberately weave false narratives and subvert our government and democracy.”

6. Make every inspector general’s office independent and physically separated from the departments they oversee.

7. Ask Congress to establish an independent auditing system to continually monitor our intelligence agencies.

8. Continue the effort launched by the Trump administration to move parts of the federal bureaucracy to new locations outside the “Washington Swamp.”

9. Work to ban federal bureaucrats from taking jobs at the companies they deal with and regulate.

10. Push a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress.

Outside of the fact that this is being proposed by Trump and therefore, of course, will mostly be used to deal with his petty grievances rather than increase scrutiny on the executive branch or Congress - these aren't all bad policies even as written. Like 1 and 5 are very questionable, and the invective about "fake news" and "Washington Swamp" are bad - but the overall idea if done in a sincere way would be a boon. A shame it will be imposed by a fascist to make the executive branch more fashy.

Some horrible and some sensible ideas in here, though like a delicious curry someone has thrown up in, kind of puts you off the whole thing.

1. Bonkers.
    2. Fashy witch hunt alarm bells (also would've thought they'd be natural Trump allies having diligently read my James Ellroy).
    3. Needs specifics.
    4. Incoherent and bonkers.
    5. A culture of leaking (if such a thing exists) is not good, however, leaking is unspokenly a necessary part of democracy. Ask Malcolm Tucker.
    6. Sensible.
    7. Sensible - though sounds like creating more State here.
    8. 'Washington Swamp' aside, this is likely a
    9. good idea anyway.
    10. Very sensible and overdue.
    11. Up for debate. Tend to disagree, though accept that there has defo been some safe-seat bed blocking by veteran pols.
    7 + 6 is a disaster. It’s designed to put intelligence information in a less secure environment that can be compromised
    Like Trump's head? That's definitely a non-secure environment where all forms of intelligence have leaked away.
  • Options

Serves the people of Kent right for voting Leave.

Holidaymakers driving to Europe face queues of 15 hours or more in Kent when new rules for Britons travelling to the European Union come into force later this year.

Officials have warned that the “reasonable worst-case scenario” would result in gridlock in the county and “welfare concerns for passengers”.

Passengers will be required to register their fingerprints and picture once the new entry/exit system (EES) is launched in October.

The system, which will apply to all non-EU passport holders, had been due to launch in May, but was delayed because of IT problems.

Bosses at the Channel Tunnel have previously said they estimate that the average time for processing a car through the French border will rise from under a minute to five to seven minutes. There are also concerns about bottlenecks at the Port of Dover and Eurostar terminal in London.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/drivers-face-15-hour-queue-at-dover-when-new-eu-checks-start-32sp28cjl

At this rate it'll be easier to get a dinghy across.
    Well, they’re empty going back, so the price ought to be competitive.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,715

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

https://x.com/politicoforyou/status/1750486431871480106?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
    While you're on Isam could you recall those two troll flags you gave me yesterday in ten minute succession for my support for the banning of Zombie knives. Particularly as 24 hours later Chris Philp declared the banning of Zombie knives Government ( your Government) policy. Thanks. Pete.
    No problem. I didn’t say banning them was a good or bad thing but, always on the front foot to get on my nerves, you felt the need to start trying to make an argument about it

Actually, the dig at St Keir was his writing exclusively for the paper he said he wouldn’t give interviews to during his leadership election campaign

You bellyache about how hard done by, you are on here, and then you behave like that. Please unflag.
    There's no need to flag me, because I don't constantly try to start arguments with the same person every day, plus I try to actually read what people are saying before jumping in.

I linked to St Keir's piece about Zombie knives in The Sun. I didn't say he was wrong or right in what he said at all. You decided to try and start an argument about something I hadn't said, because you always do. I couldn't be bothered with it, so flagged you as a troll. No big deal really
    Isn't this supposed to be a debating forum? I don't flag you because I am not a child. Sometimes you post things which outrage me, but I am not minded to flag you several times over just to piss you off.

If the standard of debate is so demeaned by randomly flagging people on this site, you can stick your site and your flags where the sun don't shine.

For the record I was making a point I agreed with Starmer (and now the Government) over.

Idiot.
    Has anyone actually been stabbed with such a knife? Or is this another moral panic?

If we are going to have a PB Panic, I need to get the tea, coffee and biscuits out. And the chairs and tables. Last time we had a panic was during COVID so everything is going to be covered in dust.
    I am reluctant to comment on this subject so I don't get another shit load of flags from Isam.

It was just my view that this kind of weaponry has no place on our streets, alongside ninja swords which haven't been banned. Irrespective of whether they have been responsible for a single death, what kind are f nutcase feels the need to carry them around?

Oh no, not another troll flag!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

This is quite funny:

My year 11s were astonished to find out that I plan my own revision lessons for them on my weekends/evenings.

One of them said to me “miss, no disrespect, your lessons are amazing, but if you’re doing this much, you need to re-evaluate your life.”

Oh, the joys of teaching😂🫠

https://twitter.com/hkateaching/status/1749573648678101319

(although I'm sure one of our posters (now more a lurker) would agree, given on his own admission he was a teacher thirty years and never did any work. But then, he worked in a rather different era with easier exams and limited OFSTED.)

On my weekends? It's at the weekend in the UK.
    I suspect it's one of those Americanisms that is gradually replacing its British equivalent. To be honest, both sound correct to me, but I used to live in the US so my vocab and grammar has gone a bit mid Atlantic. Anyone in this country under 20 pretty much speaks American English with a British accent these days as far as I can tell, thanks to the influence of US streaming services.
    It’s a peculiarity that ‘on Tuesday’ and ‘at the weekend’ sound correct, whereas the converses don’t.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.
    Forgive my ignorance but what does flagging someone do and how do you know who has flagged you

It is supposed to flag up spammers/trolls, it sends an alert to Robert and Mike.

Robert gets quite annoyed by people who misuse that button as it not supposed to be used as a disagree button.

To think I got banned for writing this in a thread header.

Light the beacons of Gondor, it turns out Boris Johnson was telling the truth last month, an event rarer than a decent Radiohead album

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/11/06/what-boris-johnson-pulling-out-really-means/
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Averages / latest 10 polls

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

What’s causing the Lib Dem slump?
    Lib dems going Labour?

The next election will be decided on how many Reform voters actually vote conservative, where the don't knows go, and whether the Lib Dems can improve their present vote share
  • Options
    edited January 25

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

G it was my fat finger. I have unflagged.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,157

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

Lib dems going Labour?

The next election will be decided on how many Reform voters actually vote conservative, where the don't knows go, and whether the Lib Dems can improve their present vote share
    As well as the always-bemusing plague on both their houses voters previously saying Lib Dems and now opting for the newly fashionable RefUK. Such voters exist.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,765
    ydoethur said:

Ghedebrav said:

148grss said:

FPT:

Trump has released a video on dismantling the deep state:

https://x.com/leadingreport/status/1750332674701463838

Trump’s plan to dismantle the ‘Deep State':

1. Immediately reissue 2020 executive order restoring the president’s authority to remove rogue bureaucrats and wield that power “very aggressively."

2. Clean out all the corrupt actors in our national security and intelligence apparatus.

3. Totally reform FISA courts.

4. Establish a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to declassify and publish all documents on the deep state’s spying, censorship, and corruption.

5. Launch a major crackdown on government leakers who collude with “fake news to deliberately weave false narratives and subvert our government and democracy.”

6. Make every inspector general’s office independent and physically separated from the departments they oversee.

7. Ask Congress to establish an independent auditing system to continually monitor our intelligence agencies.

8. Continue the effort launched by the Trump administration to move parts of the federal bureaucracy to new locations outside the “Washington Swamp.”

9. Work to ban federal bureaucrats from taking jobs at the companies they deal with and regulate.

10. Push a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress.

Outside of the fact that this is being proposed by Trump and therefore, of course, will mostly be used to deal with his petty grievances rather than increase scrutiny on the executive branch or Congress - these aren't all bad policies even as written. Like 1 and 5 are very questionable, and the invective about "fake news" and "Washington Swamp" are bad - but the overall idea if done in a sincere way would be a boon. A shame it will be imposed by a fascist to make the executive branch more fashy.

Some horrible and some sensible ideas in here, though like a delicious curry someone has thrown up in, kind of puts you off the whole thing.

1. Bonkers.
    2. Fashy witch hunt alarm bells (also would've thought they'd be natural Trump allies having diligently read my James Ellroy).
    3. Needs specifics.
    4. Incoherent and bonkers.
    5. A culture of leaking (if such a thing exists) is not good, however, leaking is unspokenly a necessary part of democracy. Ask Malcolm Tucker.
    6. Sensible.
    7. Sensible - though sounds like creating more State here.
    8. 'Washington Swamp' aside, this is likely a
    9. good idea anyway.
    10. Very sensible and overdue.
    11. Up for debate. Tend to disagree, though accept that there has defo been some safe-seat bed blocking by veteran pols.
    7 + 6 is a disaster. It’s designed to put intelligence information in a less secure environment that can be compromised
    Like Trump's head? That's definitely a non-secure environment where all forms of intelligence have leaked away.
    DICKHEAD DONALD!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

Remember, as the pressure to vote tactically builds, the LibDem vote goes up in their targets and down in Labour’s. Because there are more of the latter than the former, a successful drive to vote tactically will both depress the national LibDem VI and increase their haul of seats.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,261

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.
    Has anyone actually been stabbed with such a knife? Or is this another moral panic?

If we are going to have a PB Panic, I need to get the tea, coffee and biscuits out. And the chairs and tables. Last time we had a panic was during COVID so everything is going to be covered in dust.
    I am reluctant to comment on this subject so I don't get another shit load of flags from Isam.

It was just my view that this kind of weaponry has no place on our streets, alongside ninja swords which haven't been banned. Irrespective of whether they have been responsible for a single death, what kind are f nutcase feels the need to carry them around?

I can’t wait until the Zombie Apocalypse arrives and you are hiding in the basement waiting for salvation by a county lines kid with a Zombie knife. You won’t be disparaging them then will you? They are the Citizen Army the Top Brass have been asking for without even realising.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

G it was my fat finger. I have unflagged.
    I was referring to your genuine complaint about the use of flagging as I didn't really understand the reason for it
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

I did as well. Fat scrolling finger syndrome, which happens. Deliberate multiple flags to piss off a poster is the work of a scoundrel.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,760
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

Remember, as the pressure to vote tactically builds, the LibDem vote goes up in their targets and down in Labour’s. Because there are more of the latter than the former, a successful drive to vote tactically will both depress the national LibDem VI and increase their haul of seats.
    I disagree.

The last 5 local elections have opened up a far wider “lib Dem” target seats, that’s going to require more, not less, Labour votes to get over the line.

If tactical voting maxes out, Lib Dem’s will be on 17% of the PV, not 9.

What a huge gap between how we understand this, one of us is going to be proved painfully and screechingly wrong. 😟
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

If Labour are seen to be heading for a landslide win will tactical voting actually happen?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

To think I got banned for writing this in a thread header.

Light the beacons of Gondor, it turns out Boris Johnson was telling the truth last month, an event rarer than a decent Radiohead album

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/11/06/what-boris-johnson-pulling-out-really-means/
    Wait. Boris Johnson told the truth?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

I disagree.

The last 5 local elections have opened up a far wider “lib Dem” target seats, that’s going to require more, not less, Labour votes to get over the line.

What a huge gap between how we understand this, one of us is going to be proved painfully and screechingly wrong. 😟
    The GEs in which the vote share went down while the seat tally went up are evidence in my favour.

Meanwhile, the LDs are in a sweet spot. VI goes up - more votes means more seats! VI goes down - more tactical voting means more seats!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

If Labour are seen to be heading for a landslide win will tactical voting actually happen?
    We Brits are very nervous of large majorities. So, yes. The more certain Labour is to win, the more willing their voters will be to see the Tories out in their own patch.
  • Options
    edited January 25
    stodge said:

One or two getting over-excited at the Savanta poll and playing the old "let's add all the Reform vote to the Conservatives" schtick. All the evidence suggests even if Reform ran no candidates, at best a third of their vote would go to the Conservatives - about a sixth would go to Labour and half would stay at home.

A range of between 20% and 29% for Conservative vote share is enormous - starting from the viewpoint all polls are wrong is one thing but that degree of variation is hard to understand but suggests variations in sampling and methodology which make trying to see the wood for the trees tricky.

Not many clues to be gained from local by elections in the short term and it may be we won't know a lot more until Kingswood and Wellingborough poll in three weeks.

“ and playing the old "let's add all the Reform vote to the Conservatives" schtick.”

That’s Me!

Look us in the eye Stodge, and tell us 100% with confidence the Ref ain’t getting a PV of 3 and Con of 33 at the next general election.

You can’t be 100% sure, can you.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,826
    NH Presidential Primary 2024 - official results

Republican Primary = 323,166 (72.7% of total primary votes cast)
    Donald Trump = 175,308 (54.2% of Republican votes)
    Nikki Haley =139,792 (43.3%)
    Ron DeSantis = 2,223 (0.7%)
    Chris Christie = 1,488 (0.5%)
    Vivek Ramaswamy = 826 (0.4%)
    Mike Pence =401 (0.1%)
    Ryan Binkley =314 (0.1%)
    Tim Scott = 189 (0.06%)
    Doug Burgum = 179 (0.06%)
    Asa Hutchinson = 106 (0.01%)
    other Republicans on ballot =1,182 (3.7%)
    Joe Biden (wi) = 497 (1.5%)
    other Democrats (wi) = 97 (0.03%)
    Robert Kennedy Jr (wi) = 203
    other (wi) = 361 (0.1%)
    > > last includes 34 (0.01%) for "Cease Fire"

Democratic Primary = 121,152 (27.3% of total primary votes cast)

Joe Biden (wi) = 77,061 (63.6% of Democratic votes)
    Dean Philips = 23,977 (19.8%)
    Marianne Williamson =4,938 (4.1%)
    other Dems on ballot =5,105 (4.2%)
    Nikki Haley (wi) = 4,695 (3.9%)
    Donald Trump (wi) = 2,055 (1.7%)
    other Republicans (wi) = 77 (0.06%)
    Robert Kennedy Jr (wi) = 435 (0.4%)
    other (wi) = 2,809 (2.3%)
    > last includes 1,497 (1.2%) for "Cease Fire"
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,157
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

I disagree.

The GEs in which the vote share went down while the seat tally went up are evidence in my favour.

Meanwhile, the LDs are in a sweet spot. VI goes up - more votes means more seats! VI goes down - more tactical voting means more seats!
    The Lib Dems could do with another by-election win, but failing that the locals in May should help. Nothing succeeds like success.
  • Options
    Thanks Isam, another two flags. Much appreciated!

Fill yer boots.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,692

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Me in 2017 on David Davis

‘He’s useless. He’s absolutely useless. He’s as useless as a marzipan dildo.’

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/11/30/the-last-48-hours-makes-me-content-to-keep-on-laying-david-davis-as-next-pmtory-leader/
    So Nicola Sturgeon reads PB?

Does this make her a Scotch expert?
    It’s a line from The Thick Of It.
    You know, I am starting to think that Nicola wasn't such a nice person after all.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

I disagree.

Any of your GE evidence pre 2016?

a political landscape where Tory’s won a Red Wall, and Lib Dem’s targeting a huge Blue Wall is in my favour.

Lib Dem’s 17% at next election thanks to Labour Voters.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/11/30/the-last-48-hours-makes-me-content-to-keep-on-laying-david-davis-as-next-pmtory-leader/

You know, I am starting to think that Nicola wasn't such a nice person after all.
    Well that's you ruled out of the jury or prosecuting her if Operation Branchform leads to charges.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,608
    I think we all plead guilty to this at one time or another.

https://twitter.com/DegenRolf/status/1750414411271926202

"Rolf Degen
    @DegenRolf

The majority of people admit to hiding infectious diseases from others, potentially putting them at risk. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/09567976231221990"
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,826
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

A country where a robot check out asks for a tip is a country which can elect Donald Trump

Also a country where people pay for bottled tap water. When they tried it here, we said no thanks. [Tom Scott's video on the subject].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD79NZroV88
    I need to thank you for pointing me towards Tom Scott. I've been going through his lengthy back catalogue whilst on the cross-trainer.
    I particularly liked his talk to the Royal Institution about "There is no Algorithm for Truth": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX541Dr2rU
    (Also the game show format with three others on "Citation Needed")
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,151
    Is something starting to happen wrt antisocial parking - straws in the wind?

1 - Pilot project on reporting via Operation SNAP in Crewe:
    https://www.cheshire.police.uk/news/cheshire/news/articles/2024/1/operation-park-safe-to-be-piloted-in-crewe-throughout-january/

2 - A Sheffield NPT training other police forces in Operation Parksafe:
    (Unable to refind the link).

3 - Broxbourne applying a Public Spaces Protection Order to pavement parking throughout their area:
    https://www.broxbourne.gov.uk/environment/public-space-protection-order-pspo

4 - 60 *choose your word*s parked head to tail for 400m in a traffic lane on an urban clearway forcing private motor vehicles into the bus lane, and *all of them* got parking tickets.
    https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1750449754973077963

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,799

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

This will come as a surprise to any posters who think 'flag' means 'like very much'.
  • Options

Fill yer boots.

It’s Flag War!
  • Options
    Humza Yousaf is also a nasty piece of work, nationalism makes you nasty.

Humza Yousaf called a Labour MSP an “a—hole”, WhatsApp messages reveal.

Mr Yousaf told the National Clinical Director of the Scottish Government he wanted to check the answer to a question relating to the Omicron variant.

In a message to Professor Leitch, he wrote: “I thought I’d triple check seeing as it’s Neil Findlay and he is an a—hole”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/25/uk-covid-19-inquiry-scotland-minister-nicola-sturgeon/
  • Options
    Well.

The British Polling Council (BPC) is looking into controversial YouGov polling used by Conservative plotters to call for Rishi Sunak to be ousted.

The two polls, which YouGov said were commissioned by a mysterious group called the Conservative Britain Alliance with Tory peer David Frost acting as the intermediary, caused shock waves in Westminster when they were published in the Daily Telegraph last week.

They projected that the Conservatives are on track for a 1997-style defeat, but that they could win if Sunak were replaced by a hypothetical Tory leader who cut taxes and immigration.

The findings were unveiled with great fanfare on the front page of the Telegraph alongside a piece by Frost arguing that Sunak’s current strategy was leading the party to annihilation. This week, Tory MP Simon Clarke cited the poll’s findings in a piece calling for Sunak to be ousted.

It has prompted questions about who paid for the survey, which will have cost tens of thousands of pounds to commission. The Conservative Britain Alliance is said to consist of a group of Tory donors.

The BPC discussed the controversy at its regular meeting on Wednesday and has asked YouGov if it had documentation showing that the Conservative Britain Alliance is its client, according to one of its committee members.

Nick Moon, secretary of the BPC, said: “Under the rules of the BPC, YouGov has to publish the details of the poll, including who their client was.

“They’ve said the client was the Conservative Britain Alliance. We’re just making sure that they were formally hired by this organisation.”

YouGov said: “Over the past week, YouGov has sought guidance from the BPC and received assurances that we have followed the rules.”

The BPC is an industry group for polling companies that promotes transparency, but does not have any formal powers. Under its guidelines, clients do not have to be registered companies or have any formal status in order to commission polling. Pollsters do not need to specify who paid for the work.

“So long as [the Conservative Britain Alliance] were actually the client they’ve met the rules,” Moon said. “If I were to form the St Albans Walrus Protection Society, that body could go out and commission polls about walruses. Any polling company would be very happy to take my money.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/25/yougov-called-on-to-confirm-who-commissioned-poll-on-rishi-sunak-defeat
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,911
    edited January 25

Have we done Labour's candidate in Kingswood (a guy from Lewisham) getting adverse press for putting on a fake West Country accent?

Joey Barton?
    Scrolled through some of his social media back a few years and there is the odd Bristol raised reference that pre-dates his candidacy for the Kingswood selection. More an accent re-thickening on contact with home type scenario.
  • Options

Humza Yousaf is also a nasty piece of work, nationalism makes you nasty.

Humza Yousaf called a Labour MSP an “a—hole”, WhatsApp messages reveal.

Mr Yousaf told the National Clinical Director of the Scottish Government he wanted to check the answer to a question relating to the Omicron variant.

In a message to Professor Leitch, he wrote: “I thought I’d triple check seeing as it’s Neil Findlay and he is an a—hole”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/25/uk-covid-19-inquiry-scotland-minister-nicola-sturgeon/

Didn't Nicola call Boris "a [redacted] clown"?
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

This will come as a surprise to any posters who think 'flag' means 'like very much'.
    It’s no surprise PBs tradition of Drunk Tank Thursday has started up early this winter night.

Count the banned over breakfast.
  • Options
    edited January 25

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Quite a few references, but I'd need convincing the media know what they mean themselves:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=stabbed+with+zombie+knife

"Zombie Knives" were included by name in the list years ago as a fashionably named item / PR stunt at the time. I have not followed closely enough to know how the current proposed "ban" is different.

They seem to be talking about "serrated" rather than 'look like something out of a Kill Bill type film'.

A normal kitchen bread knife is more convenient to carry and use.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,135

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

So we should spend time and money banning something which may or may not be a problem… because it is Doing Something.

Fine.

While we are at it, let’s extend my suggested solution to COVID in schools -

All persons 18 and below can only appear in a public place when inside a Zorb ball made of knife proof plastic, with a HEPA filter. Or face 10 years in prison.

It may not work, but it is Something.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

Yes. If Labour are heading for a landslide, it will be because a large number of people very strongly want a change of government. If a large number of people feel that way, there will be a lot of tactical voting.

A thing that may limit tactical voting would be if the apparent landslide related to Starmer and his team being personally enormously popular, such that people are very keen to identify with that. However, I don't think there is a lot of evidence of that. Starmer has positioned himself, and is widely seen as, blandly managerial. That doesn't frighten people off, but nor does discourage people in Godalming (say) from voting for the challengers to the Tories in their neck of the woods.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,911

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

It’s no surprise PBs tradition of Drunk Tank Thursday has started up early this winter night.

Do we need some music to calm things down?

https://youtu.be/8Xxt8gRVLnw?si=8J6gey_XZjOIiBh3
  • Options

Well.

The British Polling Council (BPC) is looking into controversial YouGov polling used by Conservative plotters to call for Rishi Sunak to be ousted.

The two polls, which YouGov said were commissioned by a mysterious group called the Conservative Britain Alliance with Tory peer David Frost acting as the intermediary, caused shock waves in Westminster when they were published in the Daily Telegraph last week.

They projected that the Conservatives are on track for a 1997-style defeat, but that they could win if Sunak were replaced by a hypothetical Tory leader who cut taxes and immigration.

The findings were unveiled with great fanfare on the front page of the Telegraph alongside a piece by Frost arguing that Sunak’s current strategy was leading the party to annihilation. This week, Tory MP Simon Clarke cited the poll’s findings in a piece calling for Sunak to be ousted.

It has prompted questions about who paid for the survey, which will have cost tens of thousands of pounds to commission. The Conservative Britain Alliance is said to consist of a group of Tory donors.

The BPC discussed the controversy at its regular meeting on Wednesday and has asked YouGov if it had documentation showing that the Conservative Britain Alliance is its client, according to one of its committee members.

Nick Moon, secretary of the BPC, said: “Under the rules of the BPC, YouGov has to publish the details of the poll, including who their client was.

“They’ve said the client was the Conservative Britain Alliance. We’re just making sure that they were formally hired by this organisation.”

YouGov said: “Over the past week, YouGov has sought guidance from the BPC and received assurances that we have followed the rules.”

The BPC is an industry group for polling companies that promotes transparency, but does not have any formal powers. Under its guidelines, clients do not have to be registered companies or have any formal status in order to commission polling. Pollsters do not need to specify who paid for the work.

“So long as [the Conservative Britain Alliance] were actually the client they’ve met the rules,” Moon said. “If I were to form the St Albans Walrus Protection Society, that body could go out and commission polls about walruses. Any polling company would be very happy to take my money.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/25/yougov-called-on-to-confirm-who-commissioned-poll-on-rishi-sunak-defeat

If these were your options, Who would you vote for?
    Rishi Sunak 1%
    Keir Starmer 2%
    A Walrus who stopped the boats, cut my taxes, gave British Homes to British Families, saved the NHS, made petrol cheaper, reversed shrinkflation, obtained 2% growth, unpolluted the rivers, and turned UK back into a green and pleasant land 97%

Glad that’s cleared up.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,297

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

Lab 45%
    Con 25%
    Reform 10%
    LD 9%
    Green 6%
    SNP 3%

It certainly did in 1997 and 2001, so why not this time too?

I think the LDs do need more distinctive policies though. The current proposals are pretty much identical to Starmers Labour. If there's no difference why not go the whole hog?

The LDs need to be more distinctive. Advocating EEA status for example.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,360

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

So we should spend time and money banning something which may or may not be a problem… because it is Doing Something.

Fine.

All persons 18 and below can only appear in a public place when inside a Zorb ball made of knife proof plastic, with a HEPA filter. Or face 10 years in prison.

The morning school run is going to be way more fun with the road full of kids in zorb balls. It's going to cut down on RTAs too... well, not cut down on accidents, but the kids will just bounce off and be fine. Got my vote.
  • Options

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Well that's you ruled out of the jury or prosecuting her if Operation Branchform leads to charges.
    I am exempt from Jury duty. Which, on balance, is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    MattW said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Quite a few references, but I'd need convincing the media know what they mean themselves:

"Zombie Knives" were included by name in the list years ago as a fashionably named item / PR stunt at the time. I have not followed closely enough to know how the current proposed "ban" is different.

They seem to be talking about "serrated" rather than 'look like something out of a Kill Bill type film'.

Exactly.

There are plenty of kitchen knives that make more effective and concealable weapons than an 18 inch machete.

A fair number of my gardening tools are pretty useful in the case of a zombie apocalypse too!
  • Options

Well.

Rishi Sunak 1%
    Keir Starmer 2%
    A Walrus who stopped the boats, cut my taxes, gave British Homes to British Families, saved the NHS, made petrol cheaper, reversed shrinkflation, obtained 2% growth, unpolluted the rivers, and turned UK back into a green and pleasant land 97%

Glad that’s cleared up.
    I am the walrus!
  • Options

Fill yer boots.

It’s Flag War!
  • Options
    edited January 25

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Fine.

The morning school run is going to be way more fun with the road full of kids in zorb balls. It's going to cut down on RTAs too... well, not cut down on accidents, but the kids will just bounce off and be fine. Got my vote.
    I'd position the latest proposed Zombie Knife and Machete ban as a Bully XL style populist Hail Mary pass.

LOTR Roleplayers doing Uruk-Hai Orcs will have to make very that sure their machetes are blunt, or plastic.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

I’ve gotten out of jury service twice (with legitimate excuses) not sure I can make it a hat-trick.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

I’ve gotten out of jury service twice (with legitimate excuses) not sure I can make it a hat-trick.
    Unfamiliarity with proper British English might do the trick?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,929
    There is very little commentary on UK geopolitical choices and trade strategy in the event of a Trump win, which is sad, bigly.

Let’s assume that a 10% import tariff goes through, for example, and the US cuts off aid to Ukraine.

Starmer’s Britain will have little choice but some kind of “ever closer” arrangement with the EU and European defence powers.

In other news, it’s pretty obvious that Johnson still harbours hope of a return. The flaw is he needs a sympathetic Tory HQ in order to get a safe seat. Unless he strikes some kind of deal with Reform, which I’d judge very unlikely. I wonder what the strategy is.

Do these two threads connect. Is Johnson the man to secure a UK carve-out from a U.S. trade wall?

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,135

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Fine.

It would eliminate RTA deaths
    Eliminate knife deaths of teenagers
    Eliminate knife murders by teenagers
    Eliminate assaults on teachers
    Eliminate assaults by teachers
    Makes truancy from school really hard
    Eliminates most crimes teenagers commit - very hard to steal a mobile from a Zorb ball.
    Eliminate teenagers as a source of infectious disease
    Eliminate teenagers from picking up infectious disease

What’s not to like?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Great idea. It should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUolxSmGJeA
  • Options

stodge said:

“ and playing the old "let's add all the Reform vote to the Conservatives" schtick.”

That’s Me!

Look us in the eye Stodge, and tell us 100% with confidence the Ref ain’t getting a PV of 3 and Con of 33 at the next general election.

Come on Stodge. The gauntlet has been picked up. Where are you?
  • Options

stodge said:

That’s Me!

Last time, TBP got 2% even though they stood in only 275 seats and effectively endorsed Boris Johnson. I detect no similar endorsement for Sunak as being on the cards and indeed it probably works to Reform's advantage to see the Conservatives get as big as hammering as possible.

UKIP stood in 624 seats in 2015 and won 12.5%. If Reform stand in every seat (that's their claim), I think they will get 6-8% so better than Referendum who stood in 547 seats and got 2.6%. How many seats will that cost the Conservatives? The evidence is Reform is strongest where the Conservatives are strongest - look at the Clacton numbers without Farage - the fifth safest Conservative seat becomes a marginal.

Reform will gain a number of third places and possibly the odd second place but that's all.

You can't be confident Reform won't get 10% and the Conservatives 25%, can you?

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,133
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

If she was a nice person, she wouldn’t have lied to try and get her predecessor jailed.
    However, her comments on Johnson were understandable, true and accurate.
  • Options
    On topic I don't think Trump is worried although he is certainly nasty. What I suspect is ticking him off is that he wants to be the undisputed GOP candidate for the Presidency before the SC has to decide whether he is eligible on account of his insurrection. Haley is denying him that and he is pissed.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,433
    edited January 25
    MattW said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Er, surely bread knives *are* serrated.

Be a real worry for a lot of anglers, too, come to think of it.
  • Options

Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Please, pass my smelling salts!

• Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

That’s Me!

Last time, TBP got 2% even though they stood in only 275 seats and effectively endorsed Boris Johnson. I detect no similar endorsement for Sunak as being on the cards and indeed it probably works to Reform's advantage to see the Conservatives get as big as hammering as possible.

UKIP stood in 624 seats in 2015 and won 12.5%. If Reform stand in every seat (that's their claim), I think they will get 6-8% so better than Referendum who stood in 547 seats and got 2.6%. How many seats will that cost the Conservatives? The evidence is Reform is strongest where the Conservatives are strongest - look at the Clacton numbers without Farage - the fifth safest Conservative seat becomes a marginal.

Reform will gain a number of third places and possibly the odd second place but that's all.

No I can’t. You are right.

But yours a complete non answer though, because you didn’t say Ref of 3 and Con of 33 definitely 100% ain’t happening.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,430

Fill yer boots.

It’s Flag War!
    Fun with Flags!!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

🤷‍♀️ MexPet will be singing that ditty all evening.
  • Options

Well.

Rishi Sunak 1%
    Keir Starmer 2%

Glad that’s cleared up.
    Surely the real question should be:

"Who would make the greatest Prime Minister in the history of Great Britain and Ireland and the United Kingdom?

David Churchillian war hero and Brexit patriot Frost.

Or

Rishi diminutive socialist traitor Sunak?
  • Options
    edited January 25

Some of you may remember that a few months back I asked on here for some advice about buying a bookshop.
    Well, it's been a longer journey than I expected, but as of today, I am the owner and proprietor of The Book Ferret*, High Street, Arundel.
    You're very welcome to drop in and say hello!

*New name (already decided and approved) will be announced in a few months.

Congratulations, and best of luck.

Edit: I do love independent bookshops.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

That strikes me as descriptions by media idiots, not what Rishi is going to pull out of his sheath.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,288

There is very little commentary on UK geopolitical choices and trade strategy in the event of a Trump win, which is sad, bigly.

Let’s assume that a 10% import tariff goes through, for example, and the US cuts off aid to Ukraine.

Starmer’s Britain will have little choice but some kind of “ever closer” arrangement with the EU and European defence powers.

In other news, it’s pretty obvious that Johnson still harbours hope of a return. The flaw is he needs a sympathetic Tory HQ in order to get a safe seat. Unless he strikes some kind of deal with Reform, which I’d judge very unlikely. I wonder what the strategy is.

Do these two threads connect. Is Johnson the man to secure a UK carve-out from a U.S. trade wall?

Starmer will try and trombone the US President just like Blair did.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

No I am stuck in traffic on the M5 in Somerset tearfully humming Melanie's version of Ruby Tuesday.

BBC Radio 4 PM's obituary played The Wurzels Brand New Combined Harvester. I am spitting feathers.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,048
    edited January 25
    Also from another PB.

Bill Clinton was inaugurated as US president 31 years ago this week.

And he's still younger today than the two likely candidates for the 2024 Presidential election.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

That strikes me as descriptions by media idiots, not what Rishi is going to pull out of his sheath.
    This media bombardment, nevertheless, makes it harder for him to do some successful wi- -- er, keep up to expectations when he does make the announcement.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,182

Some of you may remember that a few months back I asked on here for some advice about buying a bookshop.
    Well, it's been a longer journey than I expected, but as of today, I am the owner and proprietor of The Book Ferret*, High Street, Arundel.

Good luck . There are far too few independent book shops . Arundel is a lovely place and full of charm .

As an aside I think it’s marvelous that things like Kindle never took off and people will forever love reading an actual book.
  • Options
    Leon said:

A country where a robot check out asks for a tip is a country which can elect Donald Trump

You could double or triple my salary and I still don't think I'd move there because of this.

It'd drive me completely insane.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why Biden Can Lose, Easily. In one chart

A lot of the analysis to the contrary basically amounts to: Trump is odious so he can't win.

Not what the evidence says.
  • Options

Leon said:

Hmm! This is all a bit… Civil War-ish

Lots of red states are officially siding with Texas against the Federal Govt. Louisiana Governor:

“Louisiana stands with Texas.
    Enough is enough.“

https://x.com/lagovjefflandry/status/1750542184292467023?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Immigration is a more likely candidate for being the issue that breaks the union than any other.
    It could break the West.

A lot of people still don't seem to get the dynamic relationship between immigration and climate change.
  • Options
    Vice President Harris does not get a lot of credit and is generally regarded to be a drag on the ticket but its worth watching this speech.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/1/25/2219399/-The-Supreme-Court-handed-VP-Harris-a-golden-opportunity-And-she-is-running-with-it?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

This is something she clearly feels very strongly about. I think abortion is proving a very effective weapon in the hands of the Democrats in this election round. The old maxim of be careful what you wish for comes to mind.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,068
    edited January 25
    OT. Is this man to be taken seriously? Not great for Biden if he is (and certainly not for Ukraine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrEveVRvRpw
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,927

stodge said:

stodge said:

That’s Me!

But yours a complete non answer though, because you didn’t say Ref of 3 and Con of 33 definitely 100% ain’t happening.
    It's possible, sure. It's a future event.

But based on what we know of the dynamic between RefUK and Cons parties, it's pretty improbable. However, there are a couple of footnotes to that

First is that it's doubly improbable that the Conservatives can show RefUK voters sufficient ankle without losing support on whatever their left flank is these days. Con 23 RefUK 13 could easily become Con 28 RefUK 3.

Second is that the hope, however thin, that something like this could turn up will be a strong incentive for Sunak not to go to the country just yet.

Starts humming "In The Bleak Midwinter"...
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Good luck . There are far too few independent book shops . Arundel is a lovely place and full of charm .

As an aside I think it’s marvelous that things like Kindle never took off and people will forever love reading an actual book.
    Wonderful news, James. Not often down that way these days, but if I am, I'll drop in for sure.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    I’ve got to go out, the sheep are misbehaving. Before I do, I’ll say to TSE I wrote a header and sent to you and Mike via the PB message box.

But as you didn’t know you had someone locked in the PB toilets for 3 months I don’t expect you to notice it.

And just as Viewcode asked, don’t dox me - I don’t want anyone to know I’m Jade who posts on Con Home.

Your Welcome 🙂
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,478
    Roger said:

OT. Is this man to be taken seriously? Not great for Biden if he is (and certainly not for Ukraine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrEveVRvRpw

McGregor should be firmly on everyone's 'ignore' list.

Let's look at some of his predictions about Ukraine:

"Three days after the war began, he said "The battle in eastern Ukraine is really almost over," and predicted "If [Ukraine] don't surrender in the next 24 hours, I suspect Russia will ultimately annihilate them." Macgregor said he believed Russia should be allowed to seize whatever parts of Ukraine it wanted. In his second appearance, he revised his prediction: "The first five days Russian forces I think frankly were too gentle. They've now corrected that. So, I would say another 10 days this should be completely over... I think the most heroic thing he could do right now is come to terms with reality. Neutralize Ukraine."":

or:

"In a fourth appearance in early March, Macgregor said a ceasefire was close as Ukrainian forces had been "grounded to bits. There's no question about that despite what we report on our mainstream media".[9] He also defended Russia's invasion in an interview on The Grayzone, saying Putin had taken great care with civilians and this was delaying his victory."

or:

"In September 2022, he again predicted on Carlson's show that “this war may be over soon”[67] and later in the month "the Ukrainian army is bled white, tens of thousands of Ukrainian troops have been killed or wounded, Ukraine is really on the ropes"."

And:

"In an October 2021 speech to the Serbian American Voters Alliance, Macgregor blamed America's problems on what "the Russians used to call certain individuals many, many years ago, rootless cosmopolitans". Commentators noted that "rootless cosmopolitans" was a Soviet antisemitic trope"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Macgregor
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,592
    edited January 25
    ITV for their Tonight Programme films a meeting with the Post Office Minister, Kevin Holllinrake, and SPM Jo Hamilton and the first thing he says to her is 'sorry'

Maybe if Davey had done the same it would have been wise

I should say I knew Kevin many years ago through business, and he was very competent and successful in his business
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,182
    The one thing Trump is right about is the abortion issue is a losing one for the GOP .

The commentariat in the USA before the mid-terms downplayed its effect . It saved quite a few House and Senate seats and was pivotal in several swing states re the governorship.

Trump will avoid it like the plague in the election campaign.

• Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 965

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

Fine.

If the kids are stuck in them permanently, it should do wonders to bring down the teenage pregnancy stats...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,608

ITV for their Tonight Programme films a meeting with the Post Office Minister, Kevin Holllinrake, and SPM Jo Hamilton and the first thing he says to her is 'sorry'

I should say I knew Kevin many years ago through business, and he was very competent and successful in his business

I can't understand Davey's approach. Maybe he's just so used to being the one calling for other people to say sorry.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I can't understand Davey's approach. Maybe he's just so used to being the one calling for other people to say sorry.
    Has he resigned yet?
  • Options

What about all the Conservative Ministers since 2015? Shouldn't they have apologised as well?

Not quite sure why you continue to pick on Ed Davey.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,069
    stodge said:

What about all the Conservative Ministers since 2015? Shouldn't they have apologised as well?

I suspect you are quite sure why!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,069

Also from another PB.

Bill Clinton was inaugurated as US president 31 years ago this week.

And he's still younger today than the two likely candidates for the 2024 Presidential election.

When will he overtake them in age? About 2029 by my calculations?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Ed Davey was directly involved with Bates and his refusal to apologise when asked 10 times was unwise - a simple apology as Kevin gave tonight could have saved him a lot of criticism
  • Options

stodge said:

stodge said:

That’s Me!

No - why would I?

I'd rather be on CITY OF TROY at 25s for the Arc.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Personally quite unsure why YOU and other LidDem-tards continue to stick up for Ed Davey?

His upside appears to be minimal, even before you factor in his PO downside. Or rather down-slide?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,432
    DavidL said:

Vice President Harris does not get a lot of credit and is generally regarded to be a drag on the ticket but its worth watching this speech.
    https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/1/25/2219399/-The-Supreme-Court-handed-VP-Harris-a-golden-opportunity-And-she-is-running-with-it?pm_campaign=front_page&pm_source=trending&pm_medium=web

This is something she clearly feels very strongly about. I think abortion is proving a very effective weapon in the hands of the Democrats in this election round. The old maxim of be careful what you wish for comes to mind.

Oh, if Biden scrapes over the line, it will be because of abortion.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

Idiot.

No I am stuck in traffic on the M5 in Somerset tearfully humming Melanie's version of Ruby Tuesday.

BBC Radio 4 PM's obituary played The Wurzels Brand New Combined Harvester. I am spitting feathers.
    Gone straight onto my play list. Ruby Tuesday is one of my favourite Stones tracks but that is a magical cover. Thanks very much.
  • Options

Best of British - and Irish - luck to yez!

BTW (also FYI) to encourage sales, suggest placing the Psephology section next the Erotica section.

Profitable synergy re: horny psephologists and jaded eroticists!

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,432

Leon said:

A lot of the analysis to the contrary basically amounts to: Trump is odious so he can't win.

Normally, incumbent Presidents breeze reelection. But Biden is (a) doddery, (b) has unnecessarily fucked up the illegal immigration issue. (Although - too late - he's actually doing stuff.) And (c) has suffered from a rising interest cycle through his Presidency,

I would say it's 50/50 - almost an exact coin toss - on who wins in November.

• Options

I applied for a job hanging mirrors.

It's something I can see myself doing.

To cut a long story short, I became an editor.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Normally, incumbent Presidents breeze reelection. But Biden is (a) doddery, (b) has unnecessarily fucked up the illegal immigration issue. (Although - too late - he's actually doing stuff.) And (c) has suffered from a rising interest cycle through his Presidency,

I would say it's 50/50 - almost an exact coin toss - on who wins in November.

Feels about right.
This discussion has been closed.