Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Trump goes on the offensive threatening Haley’s donors – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,167

It just beggars belief that so many Tory MPs are on the record as wanting Trump to win.

Have you not seen the state of the Tories though? Specifically the Cates/Kruger wing, and the Braverman NatCon weirdos.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,872
    Dura_Ace said:

It just beggars belief that so many Tory MPs are on the record as wanting Trump to win.

Why? Trump in power would be great for the current nationalist-populist spasm of the tory party. It will also give PM Starmer a party management nightmare when he has to go to DC and rim Trump which would be to their advantage in opposition.
    Yeah - Starmer does not want to have to invite Trump to the UK, but he can't not if he's POTUS again. And Trump would likely take Starmer to the cleaners - "Have you heard about this guy, Sir Keir Starmer? Always mentions his dad was a tool maker - he sure made one tool, I can tell you that. I told him, I told him, you have got to get rid of the Muslims, especially that one in London who won't let the big sphere be built, but he just sat there and smiled like a dummy. You know, a dummy?" *does the stiff, eyeless stare of a dummy*

I mean, it does sound quite funny to think of.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,258
    Dura_Ace said:

Why? Trump in power would be great for the current nationalist-populist spasm of the tory party. It will also give PM Starmer a party management nightmare when he has to go to DC and rim Trump which would be to their advantage in opposition.
    The thing about PM Starmer I am most looking forward to is how he deals with President Trump. It’s going to be like watching a human pretzel with the contortions he will have to make to keep his party from exploding whilst being diplomatic and kowtowing to someone who will instantly dislike him for being a former top prosecutor.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yeah - Starmer does not want to have to invite Trump to the UK, but he can't not if he's POTUS again. And Trump would likely take Starmer to the cleaners - "Have you heard about this guy, Sir Keir Starmer? Always mentions his dad was a tool maker - he sure made one tool, I can tell you that. I told him, I told him, you have got to get rid of the Muslims, especially that one in London who won't let the big sphere be built, but he just sat there and smiled like a dummy. You know, a dummy?" *does the stiff, eyeless stare of a dummy*

I mean, it does sound quite funny to think of.
    lol
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,655
    ClippP said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

It's not so much "nasty", it's more COMPLETELY MENTAL

This is just bizarre from him.

Surely he needs to win over Haley's supporters and donors, especially once she is out of the race. Not alienate them.

It makes little sense from the Trumpdozer.
    Trump runs things by fear. He will expect that Haley's supporters and donors will come grovelling to him anyway once he's destroyed her. And he's probably right.
    It seems to that Trump has Lost It - in both senses of course.
    IT seems so. I do despise lazy mental health slurs but I have to say I do doubt the sanity of his current approach and this too.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/saradorn/2024/01/25/trump-posts-about-e-jean-carroll-more-than-35-times-ahead-of-todays-potential-testimony/?sh=30c081003bb9&utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly&utm_campaign=4127540
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Question: is there anything Trump could say that would put off his MAGA supporters?

"I'm a paedophile"?

"I worship the Devil"?

"I like pineapple on pizza"?

Anything?

Is it Trump you want them to renounce or their political views more generally? Would an alternative MAGA figure trigger less hysteria?
    MAGA is fine. If the people want it, they should get it.

Overturning the democratic system is not ok.

And can you really look me in the eye after the fake electors, and tell me he's not a threat to the democratic system?

Unlike the Germans the US, alas, doesn't exactly have a ban on political parties that actively campaign for the disestablishment of democracy. I would argue that the post civil war amendments could arguably do that, but the right have done a good job on reframing the civil war and half the US believes the Confederacy was just about States' Rights *coughtoownslavescough*
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,576
    "A baby girl would still be alive were it not for the "reckless, utterly selfish, callous, cruel, arrogant and ultimately grossly negligent conduct" of her parents, a court has heard.

Constance Marten, 36, and her partner Mark Gordon, 49, are on trial at the Old Bailey for the manslaughter of their newborn daughter Victoria.

The court heard the baby was found inside a shopping bag covered in rubbish "as if she was refuse".

The pair deny the charges."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68080832
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,602
    Well his moronic base do say that Trump is "not a normal politician". In this for once they are right.

He's going to lose in November (if he gets there) and it won’t even be close.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    148grss said:

FPT:

Trump has released a video on dismantling the deep state:

https://x.com/leadingreport/status/1750332674701463838

Trump’s plan to dismantle the ‘Deep State':

1. Immediately reissue 2020 executive order restoring the president’s authority to remove rogue bureaucrats and wield that power “very aggressively."

2. Clean out all the corrupt actors in our national security and intelligence apparatus.

3. Totally reform FISA courts.

4. Establish a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to declassify and publish all documents on the deep state’s spying, censorship, and corruption.

5. Launch a major crackdown on government leakers who collude with “fake news to deliberately weave false narratives and subvert our government and democracy.”

6. Make every inspector general’s office independent and physically separated from the departments they oversee.

7. Ask Congress to establish an independent auditing system to continually monitor our intelligence agencies.

8. Continue the effort launched by the Trump administration to move parts of the federal bureaucracy to new locations outside the “Washington Swamp.”

9. Work to ban federal bureaucrats from taking jobs at the companies they deal with and regulate.

10. Push a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress.

Outside of the fact that this is being proposed by Trump and therefore, of course, will mostly be used to deal with his petty grievances rather than increase scrutiny on the executive branch or Congress - these aren't all bad policies even as written. Like 1 and 5 are very questionable, and the invective about "fake news" and "Washington Swamp" are bad - but the overall idea if done in a sincere way would be a boon. A shame it will be imposed by a fascist to make the executive branch more fashy.

Oh, there are quite a few decent suggestions in there.

The issue is that they're mixed up with a few crazy delusional ones.
  • Options

How many have said this so far, roughly?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,458
    Why do Trump's tweets always resemble a primary school kid's tantrum?

Anyway, this is good news for Biden as if Trump does indeed win the GOP nomination again he can make a pitch to bring most Haley primary voters into his camp
  • Options
    It's okay, though, because Britain will be at the front of the line for that tariff to hit our exports to the USA
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Dura_Ace said:

If Trump gets back in office, Boris will almost certainly try to here too once the Tories as is likely go into Opposition and Sunak has resigned and with Hunt (his 2 previous final round Conservative leadership opponents) carried the can for defeat
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,193
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

If Trump gets back in office, Boris will almost certainly try to here too once the Tories as is likely go into Opposition and Sunak has resigned and with Hunt (his 2 previous final round Conservative leadership opponents) carried the can for defeat
    Johnson is quite well suited to being LotO. He'd probably like it better than being PM.
  • Options
    Half (literally 50%) of Biden 2020 voters think Israel is committing a genocide, with only 20% actively saying no:

https://twitter.com/metzgov/status/1750520261231747566
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Anyway, this is good news for Biden as if Trump does indeed win the GOP nomination again he can make a pitch to bring most Haley primary voters into his camp

They aren't tweets, they're "truths" as they're from "Truth Social"
  • Options
    148grss said:

FPT:

1. Immediately reissue 2020 executive order restoring the president’s authority to remove rogue bureaucrats and wield that power “very aggressively."

2. Clean out all the corrupt actors in our national security and intelligence apparatus.

4. Establish a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to declassify and publish all documents on the deep state’s spying, censorship, and corruption.

5. Launch a major crackdown on government leakers who collude with “fake news to deliberately weave false narratives and subvert our government and democracy.”

6. Make every inspector general’s office independent and physically separated from the departments they oversee.

7. Ask Congress to establish an independent auditing system to continually monitor our intelligence agencies.

8. Continue the effort launched by the Trump administration to move parts of the federal bureaucracy to new locations outside the “Washington Swamp.”

9. Work to ban federal bureaucrats from taking jobs at the companies they deal with and regulate.

10. Push a constitutional amendment to impose term limits on members of Congress.

Outside of the fact that this is being proposed by Trump and therefore, of course, will mostly be used to deal with his petty grievances rather than increase scrutiny on the executive branch or Congress - these aren't all bad policies even as written. Like 1 and 5 are very questionable, and the invective about "fake news" and "Washington Swamp" are bad - but the overall idea if done in a sincere way would be a boon. A shame it will be imposed by a fascist to make the executive branch more fashy.

Some horrible and some sensible ideas in here, though like a delicious curry someone has thrown up in, kind of puts you off the whole thing.

1. Bonkers.
    2. Fashy witch hunt alarm bells (also would've thought they'd be natural Trump allies having diligently read my James Ellroy).
    3. Needs specifics.
    4. Incoherent and bonkers.
    5. A culture of leaking (if such a thing exists) is not good, however, leaking is unspokenly a necessary part of democracy. Ask Malcolm Tucker.
    6. Sensible.
    7. Sensible - though sounds like creating more State here.
    8. 'Washington Swamp' aside, this is likely a good idea anyway.
    9. Very sensible and overdue.
    10. Up for debate. Tend to disagree, though accept that there has defo been some safe-seat bed blocking by veteran pols.
  • Options
    148grss said:

HYUFD said:

Allegedly. Nikki 'Birdbrain' Haley at least now has her own personal Trump jibe against her. To join 'lyin' Ted Cruz, 'low energy' Jeb Bush, 'little' Marco Rubio, 'crazy' Bernie Sanders, 'crooked' Hillary Clinton and 'sleepy' Joe Biden.

Like getting your own spitting image puppet, if you aren't getting mocked by Trump you aren't a serious opponent for him
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,135
    Standard Trump playbook, surely?

There's a reason why many of the Court staff in cases where he is defendant have armed guards and wear bulletproof vests.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,299
    Dura_Ace said:

I went back and read the January 7th 2021 discussion the other day. It was rottenborough who was the first to say Trump would run again in 2024 and was pilloried for it by people waffling on about how Trump would soon be in jail or bankrupt.

I think I was mostly just bragging about calling the Electoral College winning margin with 100% accuracy. Or perhaps I was asleep? It had been a draining night!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,273
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

Allegedly. Nikki 'Birdbrain' Haley at least now has her own personal Trump jibe against her. To join 'lyin' Ted Cruz, 'low energy' Jeb Bush, 'little' Marco Rubio, 'crazy' Bernie Sanders, 'crooked' Hillary Clinton and 'sleepy' Joe Biden.

Like getting your own spitting image puppet, if you aren't getting mocked by Trump you aren't a serious opponent for him
    Birdbrain is pretty rubbish. Nothing on Pocahontas.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,299

Dura_Ace said:

I went back and read the January 7th 2021 discussion the other day. It was rottenborough who was the first to say Trump would run again in 2024 and was pilloried for it by people waffling on about how Trump would soon be in jail or bankrupt.

I think I was mostly just bragging about calling the Electoral College winning margin with 100% accuracy. Or perhaps I was asleep? It had been a draining night!
    Doh I misread that as the night after the election not the innauguration sorry!
  • Options
    Does that mean he plans to reduce the tariffs on light trucks coming to the US?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,825
    148grss said:

I feel like if I was a Republican judge on SCOTUS and he's going around treating Republicans like this and also making veiled threats against court clerks and so forth, I would be thinking, "I would rather this person not be president again as they are likely to cause problems for me, maybe I should not put my thumb on the scale to help him". But then I'm not so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is definitely a chance that the Trump appointees will be a lot less loyal to him than he expects. Alito and Thomas probably proper loyal MAGA.
    I think ACB and Kavanaugh might support him on this - the argument that he hasn't been convicted of something sounds like something Kavanaugh especially would be drawn to given his personal grievance. Gorsuch is a weird one; have no idea how he'll feel. I also imagine that Roberts will be on the majority, but only to make sure he gets to write it - if it looks like Trump will get off and Alito or Thomas will be the ones to write the thing, he might join just to write a more specific ruling.
    Might be a bit daft, but what are the chances that the SC justices will feel personally threatened? That is - sufficient fear of MAGA-heads going nuts on them and/or their families to sway their decisions.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Look everyone. Here's some fly tipping on the moon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-68091389

So - its our moon. Besides, if we ever get there and colonise that will become a tourist attraction.
    My daughter's got a bit of a fascination with the moon at the moment. Demands to see it before bed ! (Not always possible due to clouds or being below the horizon)
    Sounds like your daughter has figured out a way of staying up a bit longer!
    Haha my immediate thought as well :smiley:
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,642
    edited January 25
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Is Johnson quite as populist right wing as the Tories want now, though? Yes he’s Brexity and all, but he’s one of those loony green folk the right dislikes. And beyond all else, he will still carry the lockdown parties as a giant albatross round his neck.

The MAGA crowd in the US still love Trump because they subscribe to some (often reality bending) views that he would’ve been much better in office if the deep state hadn’t stopped him (or he was just genuinely amazing and did nothing wrong at all ever). Boris attracts nothing near that level of adoration.

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,904
    Nobody had posted about the new “Contract with Britain” plot revelation: the idea was/is to replace Sunak with Mordaunt who would then declare an election within 100 days.

It’s actually not a terrible idea, given where the Tories are.
  • Options

148grss said:

I feel like if I was a Republican judge on SCOTUS and he's going around treating Republicans like this and also making veiled threats against court clerks and so forth, I would be thinking, "I would rather this person not be president again as they are likely to cause problems for me, maybe I should not put my thumb on the scale to help him". But then I'm not so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is definitely a chance that the Trump appointees will be a lot less loyal to him than he expects. Alito and Thomas probably proper loyal MAGA.
    I think ACB and Kavanaugh might support him on this - the argument that he hasn't been convicted of something sounds like something Kavanaugh especially would be drawn to given his personal grievance. Gorsuch is a weird one; have no idea how he'll feel. I also imagine that Roberts will be on the majority, but only to make sure he gets to write it - if it looks like Trump will get off and Alito or Thomas will be the ones to write the thing, he might join just to write a more specific ruling.
    Might be a bit daft, but what are the chances that the SC justices will feel personally threatened? That is - sufficient fear of MAGA-heads going nuts on them and/or their families to sway their decisions.
    I mean they wet their undies at people protesting outside their houses after the Dobbs decision - but I think that was more an attempt at theatre to be like "see how uncivilised these women are, of course they don't deserve abortion". I don't think the GOP potential dissenters would worry - MAGA nutters are more likely to go after Sotomayor or KBJ as non-white women.

As much as I like Sotomayor's jurisprudence she really should have retired last year - if she retires now the GOP will not let her be replaced and if Trump wins she'll have to manage her diabetes for another half decade to make sure she isn't replaced by another complete nutter...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,906
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

A good job he'd already used "little" for Rubio, since Haley's name actually means little.
  • Options

Nobody had posted about the new “Contract with Britain” plot revelation: the idea was/is to replace Sunak with Mordaunt who would then declare an election within 100 days.

Googling this story literally I can only find a GBN link who want me to pay for the privilege - so no did hear about this.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, he never bothered with Asa Hutchinson.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,760
    HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

DICKHEAD DONALD!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,068
    148grss said:

Half (literally 50%) of Biden 2020 voters think Israel is committing a genocide, with only 20% actively saying no:

Trump winning will be springtime for Bibi, winter for Zelezny
    Biden winning will be springtime for Zelezny, winter for Bibi.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,214
    HYUFD said:

Because he is a spoilt man-child.

If you haven't read Mary Trump's book on DJT "Too Much and Never Enough" I highly recommend it. The title is very apt.
  • Options
    Apologies for Carol Vorderman's language.

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1750529616887021799

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    Nicola Sturgeon used the following descriptors #CovidInquiry
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Matt Hancock - "weaker than a Nun's pis*"
    Liz Truss - "about as much use as a Marzipan Dildo"
    Suella Braverman - "Shitler"
    Boris Johnson - "A fu*king clown"

I haven't heard of a #MarzipanDildo…"
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,149

They need to stand up and fight.

Stand. up. and. fight.

Standupandfight.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,164
    148grss said:

148grss said:

I mean they wet their undies at people protesting outside their houses after the Dobbs decision - but I think that was more an attempt at theatre to be like "see how uncivilised these women are, of course they don't deserve abortion". I don't think the GOP potential dissenters would worry - MAGA nutters are more likely to go after Sotomayor or KBJ as non-white women.

As much as I like Sotomayor's jurisprudence she really should have retired last year - if she retires now the GOP will not let her be replaced and if Trump wins she'll have to manage her diabetes for another half decade to make sure she isn't replaced by another complete nutter...
    If she retires now the GOP can't stop her being replaced because the Dems hold the Senate.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

DICKHEAD DONALD!
    Better. Though I notice Trump's nicknames for his opponents tend not to be alliterative.

Trump has lost his skill at this over time too. Crooked Hillary and Sleepy Joe were both very good; 'Birdbrain' Haley is rather pathetic. A sign of Trump's diminishing mental powers?

Donald Dementia maybe?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,906

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

DICKHEAD DONALD!
    Better. Though I notice Trump's nicknames for his opponents tend not to be alliterative.

Trump has lost his skill at this over time too. Crooked Hillary and Sleepy Joe were both very good; 'Birdbrain' Haley is rather pathetic. A sign of Trump's diminishing mental powers?

Donald Dementia maybe?
    Tangoman Trump
  • Options
    edited January 25

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Is Johnson quite as populist right wing as the Tories want now, though? Yes he’s Brexity and all, but he’s one of those loony green folk the right dislikes. And beyond all else, he will still carry the lockdown parties as a giant albatross round his neck.

The MAGA crowd in the US still love Trump because they subscribe to some (often reality bending) views that he would’ve been much better in office if the deep state hadn’t stopped him (or he was just genuinely amazing and did nothing wrong at all ever). Boris attracts nothing near that level of adoration.

Boris as Leader, Farage as Deputy would the be Brexit right's ideal
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,975
    Andy_JS said:

"A baby girl would still be alive were it not for the "reckless, utterly selfish, callous, cruel, arrogant and ultimately grossly negligent conduct" of her parents, a court has heard.

Constance Marten, 36, and her partner Mark Gordon, 49, are on trial at the Old Bailey for the manslaughter of their newborn daughter Victoria.

The court heard the baby was found inside a shopping bag covered in rubbish "as if she was refuse".

What is the political angle here? At least with the Nottingham murders, we can wonder if Grace, Barnaby and Ian might still be alive if mental health services had been better resourced or the police more proactive.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-68080872
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,681
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Kind of makes it clear that the celebration when Jo Swinson lost her seat was indeed because Sturgeon is a nasty piece of work. And a liar to boot. Who would have thought it? I thought she was merely very forgetful - 'I do not recall'...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

I've not heard Shitler before. Seems more appropriate for Trump though - Hitler-like tendencies but just a bit shite.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,819
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

@Aiannucci

Credit must go to great writer, @IanMartin, whose “Marzipan Dildo” has been unofficially commandeered.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,387
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

...and would get nearly as many votes as the Natural Law Party...
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Errr.

The Dems control the Senate, so I don't think there would be any difficulty getting a new Justice confirmed.
  • Options
    Say what you like about Sturgeon, she's not always wrong, is she...

Nicola Sturgeon called Boris Johnson “a fucking clown” in a private message when he announced a further Covid lockdown on 31 October 2020, the inquiry has heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/25/uk-politics-latest-news-updates-covid-inquiry-nicola-sturgeon-humza-yousaf-knife-crime
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,655

Say what you like about Sturgeon, she's not always wrong, is she...

Nicola Sturgeon called Boris Johnson “a fucking clown” in a private message when he announced a further Covid lockdown on 31 October 2020, the inquiry has heard.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jan/25/uk-politics-latest-news-updates-covid-inquiry-nicola-sturgeon-humza-yousaf-knife-crime

No, only most of the time.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671
    Dura_Ace said:

I went back and read the January 7th 2021 discussion the other day.

Saddest thing on PB today.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,065
    Mr. Pointer, how fortunate at least one private message by Sturgeon has been saved for posterity...

[There is a case to be made for not raking over private messages. Sturgeon deleting the lot still doesn't look great].
  • Options

Mr. Pointer, how fortunate at least one private message by Sturgeon has been saved for posterity...

[There is a case to be made for not raking over private messages. Sturgeon deleting the lot still doesn't look great].

There is, but then that ought to apply to the UK government too.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,387

Question: is there anything Trump could say that would put off his MAGA supporters?

"I'm a paedophile"?

"I worship the Devil"?

"I like pineapple on pizza"?

Anything?

DODGY DONALD!
    Meaning?
    CROOKED HILLARY!

NIKKI BIRDBRAIN!

DODGY DONALD!
    Ah, I see. I'm afraid 'dodgy' underplays is by a few orders of magnitude.

Despicable, dopey, dangerous, disastrous, delinquent, or my preferred: deranged... None of them quite do it on their own. All of the above would see to apply.
    Why not simply Draft Dodger. It's true, isn't it?

How do all those MAGA types square that one?
    Demented Donny the draft dodger?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,685
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Why would we want a ****tard like Johnson anywhere near the levers of power? He was disastrous first time around, what makes you think the idle, venal, entitled clown will make a better fist of it second time around?
  • Options
    Cameron broke convention when he made Michelle Mone a peer, says Tory MP
    David Mundell says Scotland Office was not consulted about Mone’s 2015 appointment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/25/david-cameron-broke-convention-when-he-made-michelle-mone-a-peer-says-tory-mp

Midas he ain't.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

And the thing of everyone else's nightmares.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,384

David Mundell says Scotland Office was not consulted about Mone’s 2015 appointment

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/25/david-cameron-broke-convention-when-he-made-michelle-mone-a-peer-says-tory-mp

Midas he ain't.

That's Mr Cameron's very own Scotland Office, of course. Not the Scottish Government.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

HYUFD said:

148grss said:

HYUFD said:

Birdbrain is pretty rubbish. Nothing on Pocahontas.
    He does it a little:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_used_by_Donald_Trump
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited January 25
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

I read that earlier on what looked like a parody account

Here it is

https://x.com/politicoforyou/status/1750486431871480106?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    edited January 25

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Kind of makes it clear that the celebration when Jo Swinson lost her seat was indeed because Sturgeon is a nasty piece of work. And a liar to boot. Who would have thought it? I thought she was merely very forgetful - 'I do not recall'...
    I rather think you're overlooking the effects of the years of dealing, or trying to do so, with the Johnson administration which had its own very distinctive take on the notions of cooperation, information, discussion, anything at all like that, with the fellow governments of Wales and Scotland.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,505
    The salience of criminal justice could increase in the wake of the Nottingham case. The state is failing to do its job on many levels.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1750497647855554756

https://x.com/talktv/status/1750496181216498167
  • Options

Midas he ain't.

How do you define a Scot? If its residence based, I thought she lived on a yacht somewhere warm...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

I rather think you're overlooking the effects of the years of dealing, or trying to do so, with the Johnson administration which had its own very distinctive take on the notions of cooperation, information, discussion, anything at all like that, with the fellow governments of Wales and Scotland.
    Years? When did Johnson take over?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,533
    Ghedebrav said:

148grss said:

FPT:

Some horrible and some sensible ideas in here, though like a delicious curry someone has thrown up in, kind of puts you off the whole thing.

1. Bonkers.
    2. Fashy witch hunt alarm bells (also would've thought they'd be natural Trump allies having diligently read my James Ellroy).
    3. Needs specifics.
    4. Incoherent and bonkers.
    5. A culture of leaking (if such a thing exists) is not good, however, leaking is unspokenly a necessary part of democracy. Ask Malcolm Tucker.
    6. Sensible.
    7. Sensible - though sounds like creating more State here.
    8. 'Washington Swamp' aside, this is likely a good idea anyway.
    9. Very sensible and overdue.
    10. Up for debate. Tend to disagree, though accept that there has defo been some safe-seat bed blocking by veteran pols.
    10 is crackers, since if you're accepting the premise of it being possible to amend the constitution, then there are far higher priorities. And it's not going to happen in reality.
    The motivation, in Trump's case, is quite clearly about reducing the power of Congress and increasing that of gge Presudency.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Midas he ain't.

That's Mr Cameron's very own Scotland Office, of course. Not the Scottish Government.
    PS But I wonder slightly whether Mr Mundell made any comments to Mr Cameron after reading about it in the newspapers. On the other hand, did he need to?

'Douglas Anderson, the managing director of the Glasgow-based plant hire company Gap Group, gave his views in strong terms in a letter to Cameron after reading initial press reports that a peerage was being considered. Anderson pointed out that published financial accounts of the Ultimo company showed it had been making losses and been in financial difficulties, and that in 2013 it had been rescued by a Sri Lankan clothing manufacturer, MAS Holdings.

“Ms Mone is not a successful entrepreneur, she is a small-time businesswoman with a PR exposure far in excess of any actual success,” Anderson wrote. “Awarding her a peerage for a very mediocre business performance brings the awarding of titles into disrepute by rewarding failure.”'
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,242

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

And the thing of everyone else's nightmares.
    Including both Boris and Farage.

How long do they think they could work together before Farage went off and did a bit of Brexit-posters style freelancing? Less than a week. They are two egos that could NEVER work together in the same administration.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

It's not Carol's language. She's quoting Nippy.

Perhaps Nippy acquired her potty mouth when she was married to Rab C. Nesbitt. Has anyone seen Nippy and Elaine C. Smith in the same room?
  • Options
    edited January 25
    Trumpette:

Lawyer obtained an adjournment in the NY case on Tuesday by telling the Judge she had exposure to Covid, then observed at a Trump Party at the NH victory party.

Oooops.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Years? When did Johnson take over?
    It feels like that ..,
  • Options
    JPJ2JPJ2 Posts: 378
    Tut! Tut! Very impolite language from Nicola Sturgeon, but I bet a large chunk of Scotland's electorate are laughing and applauding because her sentiments are shared and believed justified
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Perhaps Nippy acquired her potty mouth when she was married to Rab C. Nesbitt. Has anyone seen Nippy and Elaine C. Smith in the same room?
    That's a PB Scotchexpert for you. The answer to that is well known, e.g.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea45DCUW_2w
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

https://x.com/politicoforyou/status/1750486431871480106?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
    In which case it looks like Vorders forgot the first rule of TwiX, to check if you are about to quote one of far too many parody accounts. From here, it will spread by non-parody accounts, principally Vorderman's own.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

While you're on Isam could you recall those two troll flags you gave me yesterday in ten minute succession for my support for the banning of Zombie knives. Particularly as 24 hours later Chris Philp declared the banning of Zombie knives Government ( your Government) policy. Thanks. Pete.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

The BBC described the language as 'robust'.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,119
    Why is “nun’s piss” considered “weak”? That seems baselessly anti-nun
  • Options
    edited January 25

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Yes, that was mis-written by me.
  • Options

Midas he ain't.

How do you define a Scot? If its residence based, I thought she lived on a yacht somewhere warm...
    Timing. She started going on about leaving Scotland in 2015 or so - a quick check suggests May 2015. And in any case it was very much awarded for her publicity machine of 2013-14 in Scotland and going on about leaving Scotland if indyref 1 won (yes, I know, logic fail there).
  • Options
    McConnell casts doubt on border and Ukraine aid deal as GOP fury threatens both

Trump is lobbying to kill a deal, seeking to wield immigration as a weapon vs Biden.

Rs say don't give Dems a win.

No path for Ukraine aid.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1750532873436959211
  • Options

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Here it is

While you're on Isam could you recall those two troll flags you gave me yesterday in ten minute succession for my support for the banning of Zombie knives. Particularly as 24 hours later Chris Philp declared the banning of Zombie knives Government ( your Government) policy. Thanks. Pete.
    No problem. I didn’t say banning them was a good or bad thing but, always on the front foot to get on my nerves, you felt the need to start trying to make an argument about it

Actually, the dig at St Keir was his writing exclusively for the paper he said he wouldn’t give interviews to during his leadership election campaign
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

No, she's quoting a satirical or parody account, as isam noted earlier. Otoh:-

• Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,651
    Leon said:

Perhaps nuns are particularly well hydrated?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,860
    I would have said, personally, that was one of Trump's more rational tweets.

For starters, the CAPS LOCK only got stuck on briefly.

For another, it's actually vaguely coherent.

Finally, it may be stupid but at least it's focussed on an actual issue - albeit hardly an important one - rather than randomly claiming he won the greatest victory ever or Joe Biden is a pixie.

His list, on the other hand...6, 7, 9 and 10 may have mileage, but has it occured to him that he would be swept up himself under 1 and 2?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Just shows what PBers will believe when it comes to Scotland and especially Glasgow, like terrorist refuse carts.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,298
    148grss said:

Foreign policy positions rarely win or lose elections, however.
  • Options
    No need to panic.

"Time to 'think the unthinkable' and consider UK conscription, says Britain's former top NATO commander

General Sir Richard Sherriff tells Sky News that even if Russia is defeated in the war against Ukraine, it is going to remain determined to rebuild another empire, subjugate Ukraine, and then move on to other ex-Soviet countries, like NATO members. That could mean war with Russia."

https://news.sky.com/story/time-to-think-the-unthinkable-and-consider-uk-conscription-says-britains-former-top-nato-commander-13056148
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

McConnell casts doubt on border and Ukraine aid deal as GOP fury threatens both

Trump is lobbying to kill a deal, seeking to wield immigration as a weapon vs Biden.

Rs say don't give Dems a win.

No path for Ukraine aid.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1750532873436959211

America is embarking on one of its periodic retreats into isolationism. The rest of us had better step up.
  • Options
    edited January 25

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

The real exchanges, where she admits playing silly politics rather than just getting on with the covid response, are worse really.

In a WhatsApp from November 2020, Liz Lloyd admits looking for a public spat with the U.K. govt over the furlough scheme.

“ I just want a good old fashioned rammy so can think about something other than sick people.”

https://x.com/kathrynsamsonc4/status/1750473898347376826?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

That does seem to be the implication, but I see no evidence for it - nuns buying lots of mineral water, queues of nuns at water fountains, nuns jogging as they constantly sip from trendy hydration bottles. You don’t really see that do you. So it’s baseless prejudice from Sturgeon

It also implies that she has personally tested the urine of multiple religious orders for “weakness” - vicars, imams, abbots, rabbis, hermits, as well as nuns, so as to be able to make this statement - which is surely outside her remit as Scottish First Minister
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Tempting a thrush infection, if you ask me.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,465
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

I think the important thing with these types (and it's true of left-wing 'populists' too) is that the incoherence is the point. These aren't serious politicians. They are those lashing out at realities they don't like, so the inconsistency is the point.

Hence why despite his past liberal, libertine, and big-spending tendencies, Boris is an ideal champion. He'll tell you ten impossible and inconsistent things are true before breakfast. He'll wind up 'the libs' and 'the blob'. Never mind that it's all an inverted pyramid of piffle. If you're a Tory who thinks you can have low, low taxes, zero immigration, break from the EU on trade, be a military power again, not build anywhere, but 'level up'. Oh and fix the NHS and social care too but abolish inheritance tax. Then of course he's your man.

Obviously there's not a direct comparison between Boris and Trump. But there are similarities in terms of supporters being willing to overlook the wild inconsistencies, lies, and moral failings because he tells them what they want to hear. That whatever it is that makes them unhappy is all the fault of people they don't like. Rather than change being complicated, hard work, and often meaning compromising on stuff you don't like.

Their left-wing equivalents being those who preach socialist revolution but get very upset at the notion that might come at the expense of some middle-class baubles, luxury beliefs and privileges that have become accustomed to as a right.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

That does seem to be the implication, but I see no evidence for it - nuns buying lots of mineral water, queues of nuns at water fountains, nuns jogging as they constantly sip from trendy hydration bottles. You don’t really see that do you. So it’s baseless prejudice from Sturgeon

It also implies that she has personally tested the urine of multiple religious orders for “weakness” - vicars, imams, abbots, rabbis, hermits, as well as nuns, so as to be able to make this statement - which is surely outside her remit as Scottish First Minister
    The strongest and most age-worthy presumably being from hermits, particularly those residing in high clefts in desert escarpments.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Bin lorries, remember? All those learned PB disquisitions on terrorists in scaffy carts in Glasgow.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

I dunno. She's taken the piss a lot.

Especially in criminal enquiries.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Carol Vorderman
    @carolvorders
    ·
    13m
    ·
    @PoliticoForYou
    #Satire

Tempting a thrush infection, if you ask me.
    Even with the cyanide content?
  • Options

148grss said:

I would say 2004, just possibly 1980 (as in, Eagle Claw may have tipped the balance) and before that 1968.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,120
    a
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

The strongest and most age-worthy presumably being from hermits, particularly those residing in high clefts in desert escarpments.
    Even worse, it contravenes the Statute of 1540 regarding the Monasteries, whereupon the Crown became responsible for appointing agents to take (and test) the piss out of religious orders.

Since this hasn't been explicitly devolved....
  • Options
    edited January 25
    I mean, did Donald Dewar do that, when he was First Minister? Was he constantly going into the khazi at Catholic monasteries asking for samples? No. He didn’t. Nor was he ever seen in convents angrily insisting the abbess micturate into a tiny bottle

So this is another example of the SNP bending the rules as they see fit
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,720

Andy_JS said:

What is the political angle here? At least with the Nottingham murders, we can wonder if Grace, Barnaby and Ian might still be alive if mental health services had been better resourced or the police more proactive.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-68080872
    There doesn't always have to be a political angle. In fact usually there isn't, or shouldn't be. Sometimes things are just shit apolitically.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

I dunno. She's taken the piss a lot.

Especially in criminal enquiries.
    You may recall that, but she wouldn't.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

148grss said:

I would say 2004, just possibly 1980 (as in, Eagle Claw may have tipped the balance) and before that 1968.
    And those were cases with the direct involvement of US forces, unlike Gaza.
This discussion has been closed.