Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Nigel Farage make it eight in a row? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 22 in General
imageCan Nigel Farage make it eight in a row? – politicalbetting.com

?Exclusive: A new poll commissioned by Arron Banks suggests that Farage would win were he to stand in Douglas Carswell's old seat of ClactonFarage told me: "This poll does make me consider getting back on the pitch far more seriously than ever before”https://t.co/zq1q0eWgnr

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    I’m not letting this amazing sudden returning memory DIE just coz of a new thread

So. FPT

Just had a vivid memory of me age 23, wearing sort of Hitler Youth black shorts - with braces - inhabiting a £2 a night hostel on the wild bank of the Nile at Luxor, a hostel which was actually part of some ancient temple, so you woke up in the morning and stared at Anubis staring back at you. Superb

I was with three friends and we were all equally insane and we spent every day chasing down opium until we found a good supplier, and that kept us zonked for a week, opiated to fuck, the only problem was that the hostel owner/opium dealer really really wanted to have gay sex with my very handsome best friend Trevor, and, failing that, me (less handsome but still pretty enough, back then)

So we had to spend the whole time begging him to sell us more opium while at the same time coming up with excuses why we would not let him sodomise us (or bugger him, I don’t know if he batted or bowled)

THAT, my PB friends, is a true story
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    edited January 14
    I don't know who Nigel Faragae is but are they less of a prick than Farage?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    I think he will bottle it and not stand. Banks is trying to get him involved in Reform UK because it would massively boost their profile but Farage is playing hard to get. I still think adding half of Reform's polling to the Tories gives you a better idea of where the parties are.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442

Leon said:

I’m not letting this amazing sudden returning memory DIE just coz of a new thread

So. FPT

Just had a vivid memory of me age 23, wearing sort of Hitler Youth black shorts - with braces - inhabiting a £2 a night hostel on the wild bank of the Nile at Luxor, a hostel which was actually part of some ancient temple, so you woke up in the morning and stared at Anubis staring back at you. Superb

I was with three friends and we were all equally insane and we spent every day chasing down opium until we found a good supplier, and that kept us zonked for a week, opiated to fuck, the only problem was that the hostel owner/opium dealer really really wanted to have gay sex with my very handsome best friend Trevor, and, failing that, me (less handsome but still pretty enough, back then)

So we had to spend the whole time begging him to sell us more opium while at the same time coming up with excuses why we would not let him sodomise us (or bugger him, I don’t know if he batted or bowled)

I believe you, I mean nobody is shocked that you dressed like the Hitler Youth.
    I’m a bit shocked he didn’t pick a tonier outfit than the Hitler Youth. The SD?
  • Options

Leon said:

So. FPT

Thank you and Aukun

I HAVE FOUND THE HOTEL

It still exists, It is now called “Medinet Habu Eco Lodge”

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294205-d23791362-Reviews-Habu_Hotel_Ecolodge-Luxor_Nile_River_Valley.html
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think he will bottle it and not stand. Banks is trying to get him involved in Reform UK because it would massively boost their profile but Farage is playing hard to get. I still think adding half of Reform's polling to the Tories gives you a better idea of where the parties are.

There is a pivot. If Farage becomes leader then the Tories are absolutely sunk. If Farage doesn't become leader then yes I can see some of their vote share going back to the Tories.

Remember though, there is a difference between the Nigel being leader and him running for a seat. He is perfectly likely to become leader, work to smash your lot into oblivion and not seek election himself...
  • Options
    Another terrible decision from VAR in the Villa game.
    A forward in the box gets wrestled to the ground and his foot goes in front of the defender. The ball does not come anywhere near either of them but is centred and then superbly hit into the corner. Just ridiculous.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

A forward in the box gets wrestled to the ground and his foot goes in front of the defender. The ball does not come anywhere near either of them but is centred and then superbly hit into the corner. Just ridiculous.

Did you miss Liverpool having a goal ruled out because Mohamed Salah was pushed into an offside position?
  • Options

The ending would indicate a plural.

So a Faragae is multiple Farages

Which sounds even more unpleasant.

• Options

DavidL said:

Did you miss Liverpool having a goal ruled out because Mohamed Salah was pushed into an offside position?
    Yes, but it doesn't surprise me. It sounds very similar to what I have just seen. At the very least it was a penalty.
  • Options

DavidL said:

There is a pivot. If Farage becomes leader then the Tories are absolutely sunk. If Farage doesn't become leader then yes I can see some of their vote share going back to the Tories.

Remember though, there is a difference between the Nigel being leader and him running for a seat. He is perfectly likely to become leader, work to smash your lot into oblivion and not seek election himself...
    My lot? I think describing me as a semi-detached supporter of the government these days would be extremely generous.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    Good afternoon everyone.

An interesting little video pointing out some of Trumps strange historic links in New York, including Roger Stone - a political fixer going back to Nixon Times, who was sentenced to 40 months in prison for various offences - witness tampering, making false statements to congress etc.

Never went to prison, as he was pardoned by President Trump.

Not sure how much weight to give this, but an absorbing rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mvGxF7Jw4M
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649

DavidL said:

Farage as MP would mean limits on his jobs outside parliament, a requirement to report any sources of funding in the register of members’ interests and significantly more scrutiny of his extracurricular activities. If I were him I’m not sure I’d fancy that.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Leon said:

So. FPT

Bit hot and sweaty for the climate. DAK, or at a pinch the loose overalls of the OT or the Fallschirmjaeger.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

An interesting little video pointing out some of Trumps strange historic links in New York, including Roger Stone - a political fixer going back to Nixon Times, who was sentenced to 40 months in prison for various offences - witness tampering, making false statements to congress etc.

Never went to prison, as he was pardoned by President Trump.

Not sure how much weight to give this, but an absorbing rabbit hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mvGxF7Jw4M

Audio of Roger stone planning to assassinate two Democrats.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT76yYdYac4
  • Options
    I’ve just seen a Tripadvisor review of that hotel

“The owners, Tracey and Mohammad, go above and beyond to ensure the best stay possible”

Which is fair but it omits the crucial bit, “in particular, if you wish to purchase raw opium on a daily basis, Mohammad only needs to bum the most beautiful male in your holiday group, Breakfasts are excellent and fresh”
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169

The ending would indicate a plural.

So a Faragae is multiple Farages

Which sounds even more unpleasant.

Sounds like some kind of algae that attaches itself to bandwagons.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    edited January 14

Leon said:

So. FPT

The same man who has young Hitler as the screensaver on his laptop; why would we be surprised?

The surprise is that his more extreme comments on here are tolerated, rather than moderated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sometimes we do miss the off topic button.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Bit hot and sweaty for the climate. DAK, or at a pinch the loose overalls of the OT or the Fallschirmjaeger.
    They must have had a summer uniform, surely?

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    I am afraid I think it highly possible that the UK will have a popular “hard right” political force coming into play in national politics in the next 5 years. We are in many ways an outlier in the rest of the Western world (largely I suspect because of the Brexit distraction and the fact the Tories were able to capitalise on the populist movement in 2019).

Whether that person leads the Tories, or is an independent force, is difficult to say.

Also, whether that person is Farage or not is a tricky one to answer. In some ways, Farage has the baggage that another may not. But he does have the name recognition.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

SD? No idea, my boyhood model army didn't get beyond the Afrika Korps and paratroops! But now you mention it the army did have a tropical/summer uniform used in the Mediterranean summer as well as North Africa, so yes I should think so - just use the appropriate badges.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Farage is 60 in April and, while slightly younger than Starmer, doesn’t strike me as a man who keeps himself in amazing shape. Can he be arsed?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

The same man who has young Hitler as the screensaver on his laptop; why would we be surprised?

The surprise is that his more extreme comments on here are tolerated, rather than moderated.
    The Hitler screensaver thing was performative post-modern comedy “gold”.
  • Options
    OT (again) but an interesting little bit of social history: the evolving caff.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/jan/14/egg-bacon-and-a-ghormeh-sabzi-the-uks-greasy-spoons-are-redoing-their-menus
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

There you go. Try and ban me again

You just can’t let it go, can you?

And what exactly is it I’ve said that is so extreme now? That I once wore shorts that resembled Hitler Youth Attire? is that bannable, wearing clothes that might look a tad fash in a lowlight?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    I immediately discounted this for the simple reason that he is not going to live in fucking Clacton. However... in the next parliament when the tories are a shattered collection of survivors with radiation burns and SKS is firing up the Rejoin Machine then maybe being in a position to defect to the tories while an MP is the move.

NF could then launch a Nigelnacht leadership bid.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Sometimes we do miss the off topic button.
    Indeed.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

SD? No idea, my boyhood model army didn't get beyond the Afrika Korps and paratroops! But now you mention it the army did have a tropical/summer uniform used in the Mediterranean summer as well as North Africa, so yes I should think so - just use the appropriate badges.
    According to Wiki the SD wore Waffen SS uniforms and they did indeed have a white summer tunic.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Dura_Ace said:

I immediately discounted this for the simple reason that he is not going to live in fucking Clacton. However... in the next parliament when the tories are a shattered collection of survivors with radiation burns and SKS is firing up the Rejoin Machine then maybe being in a position to defect to the tories while an MP is the move.

Over in the real world, the UK has one of the lowest opinion poll ratings for any party or parties that might be described as hard-right. On the other hand, in Germany they're on 24% and 23% in Sweden.
  • Options
    Today’s Sunday Rawnsley, arriving to a cold still south and a rather windy north:

..it is only now that the conscience of Westminster has been sufficiently stirred for the government to propose remedies. And only after the intense public outrage generated by the compelling ITV drama, Mr Bates vs The Post Office.

A mounting pile of evidence suggests the government-owned organisation and its corporate collaborator sought to conceal their own blunders to protect their brands, profits and the reputations of senior executives at the expense of innocent people.

Having let this go on for so long, politicians from Rishi Sunak downwards are falling over each other to try to blag a bogus halo by hailing the campaign led by Mr Bates and declaring that he deserves a knighthood. There’s less enthusiasm at Westminster for acknowledging a collective failure to wake up to this scandal much earlier.

An unusual feature of this scandal is that its taint is on more than one party. This is a large part of the explanation for why none was previously keen to give it the attention and profile that it deserved. Over the past 25 years, there have been 15 business secretaries, one Lib Dem, six Labour and eight Conservative. Politicians from all three parties have held ministerial responsibility for postal affairs. Tories chucking stones are doing so from glass houses.

The government expects a mass exoneration to take the heat out of public anger, but justice will not be properly done until there is condign punishment of all those responsible for inflicting devastating cruelty and hardship on so many innocent people. They endured it for so long because politicians who should have been alert to what was going on were asleep at the wheel of state.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Not sure why the East Saxons are so slow to integrate. They've had 1600 years.
  • Options

I am afraid I think it highly possible that the UK will have a popular “hard right” political force coming into play in national politics in the next 5 years. We are in many ways an outlier in the rest of the Western world (largely I suspect because of the Brexit distraction and the fact the Tories were able to capitalise on the populist movement in 2019).

Whether that person leads the Tories, or is an independent force, is difficult to say.

Also, whether that person is Farage or not is a tricky one to answer. In some ways, Farage has the baggage that another may not. But he does have the name recognition.

He is also unburdened by any form of scruple whatsoever and is a demon at exploiting both social and mainstream media. The tories could do a lot worse and probably will - that one who looks like a BAME Minion and is currently hiding in an Amazon Parcel Locker to avoid answering (boring) questions on Horizongate.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Over in the real world, the UK has one of the lowest opinion poll ratings for any party or parties that might be described as hard-right. On the other hand, in Germany they're on 24% and 23% in Sweden.
    I don’t think we should pat ourselves on the back too quickly. It’s FPTP.

The GOP shows how the rise of the hard right looks different in a FPTP system.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    TimS said:

DavidL said:

Farage as MP would mean limits on his jobs outside parliament, a requirement to report any sources of funding in the register of members’ interests and significantly more scrutiny of his extracurricular activities. If I were him I’m not sure I’d fancy that.
    He didn't mind being an MEP for all that time, so should we infer that the European Parliament has lower standards?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

According to Wiki the SD wore Waffen SS uniforms and they did indeed have a white summer tunic.
    One learns something new on PB daily. Never thought of the SS in white (except in the mess).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    edited January 14
    Leon said:

So. FPT

Second post in and you are attempting to hijack the thread. A record I suspect even for @Leon .

@MarqueeMark commandeered the last thread beautifully. He achieved a parallel conversation and interesting diversion on the state of comedy with steely guile.

Two tips for you: it wasn't all about him and who these days is interested in the procurement of class A drugs? The accomplishment of which is neither big nor clever.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Do you honestly still believe the young Hitler thing was real?

I think you desperately WANT to believe. There is a difference
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited January 14
    So glad to see point 2 made in the ‘flip side’ argument, the 7 losses attack is such a misleading statistic. Well played to @TheScreamingEagles for that

I think the fact they elected a kipper against a Conservative twice means Reform/Farage will have enough name recognition to be honest. Most people just think they’re all ‘The Farage Party’. Giles Watling MP aka the vicar who married Aveline in Carla Lane’s Bread, was defeated candidate by Carswell twice, and has been a bit of a face there for decades and probably has more loyal vote than most Tories though

I actually campaigned for Carswell in the By Election; there are (were) two very different parts of the constituency. Lovely middle class Frinton, and down at heel Clacton ft further down at heel Jaywick, with its mobile homes & unkept roads. I canvassed there with Suzanne Evans who might have been UKIP leader for a while I think. Knocking on one chalet front door, I was confronted by an unemployed bloke from Barking, who had an aggressive looking dog. For some reason I sat down and had a chat with him and his Dad, whilst they were drinking cans of beer. He said they normally voted National Front, so I had to say “er well UKIP are the toughest on immigration” whilst trying to shimmy towards the exit. They had a massive speaker outside the place which was blaring out Eminem. Suzanne wasn’t impressed by that at all

Posh Frinton wasn’t so keen on UKIP as you might expect. They loved ‘Dougie’ but thought he’d betrayed them by leaving the Tories

Anyway, TLDR the rest; 4/1 seems a decent bet. If Farage stands in the next GE, it will be somewhere he is better than 20% chance to win. He looks like he fancies standing, the conditions seem good for him really.

I suppose the maths is

% chance he will stand multiplied by % chance he will win

If he’s 75/25 to stand he’d need to be 3/1 to win the seat for it to be bad value. If he chose Clacton, my childhood holiday destination, he’d probably be 6/4ish wouldn’t he?

• Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

And what exactly is it I’ve said that is so extreme now? That I once wore shorts that resembled Hitler Youth Attire? is that bannable, wearing clothes that might look a tad fash in a lowlight?
    I once saw a bunch of German lads rock up to a bar in Bratislava rocking the Afrika Corps look. Khaki/cream shirts/t-shirts and shorts, peaked caps (probably mostly baseball caps to be honest) with sunglasses on their hats a la that famous picture of Rommel with his tanker goggles on his hat. Mostly blond and with a certain swagger. To be honest they were probably just a bunch of young lads away for a beery weekend and dressed for a mitteleuropean summer, but if I thought WTF I'm not sure what the locals thought.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Today’s Sunday Rawnsley, arriving to a cold still south and a rather windy north:

..it is only now that the conscience of Westminster has been sufficiently stirred for the government to propose remedies. And only after the intense public outrage generated by the compelling ITV drama, Mr Bates vs The Post Office.

A mounting pile of evidence suggests the government-owned organisation and its corporate collaborator sought to conceal their own blunders to protect their brands, profits and the reputations of senior executives at the expense of innocent people.

Having let this go on for so long, politicians from Rishi Sunak downwards are falling over each other to try to blag a bogus halo by hailing the campaign led by Mr Bates and declaring that he deserves a knighthood. There’s less enthusiasm at Westminster for acknowledging a collective failure to wake up to this scandal much earlier.

An unusual feature of this scandal is that its taint is on more than one party. This is a large part of the explanation for why none was previously keen to give it the attention and profile that it deserved. Over the past 25 years, there have been 15 business secretaries, one Lib Dem, six Labour and eight Conservative. Politicians from all three parties have held ministerial responsibility for postal affairs. Tories chucking stones are doing so from glass houses.

The government expects a mass exoneration to take the heat out of public anger, but justice will not be properly done until there is condign punishment of all those responsible for inflicting devastating cruelty and hardship on so many innocent people. They endured it for so long because politicians who should have been alert to what was going on were asleep at the wheel of state.

That extract sums things up, almost perfectly.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Why can't they get VAR right? Mindboggling.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Carnyx said:
    I was in The Barras (for those who don't know - big 'market' full of tat, 2nd hand randomness (bag of rusty nails? sure!) a while back and a cafe had taken over a corner stall and had a fancy 'artisanal' wood-framed chalkboard outside to write the menu on.

It proudly listed one item : "Chef's special - CHIPS".
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

One learns something new on PB daily. Never thought of the SS in white (except in the mess).
    You often see pix of Hermann Goering in a white tunic, he probably thought it made him look less fat.
  • Options

Whilst not 'hard right' Kemi Badenoch is the only person I've ever really heard in the front(ish) line of politics put forward a genuine small c conservative position on the world. It's genuine, its not an act (or is a very good act, but i dont think so), its Corbyn like in how the Conservative party membership lap it up. If she had got through to the membership when the parliamentary party bother to ask last time she would have gained huge support as the campaign developed.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Afternoon all :)

The more interesting aspect of the poll are the numbers without Farage.

Conservatives are losing nearly half their vote which we've seen in other previously safe Conservative seats at by-elections. In this instance, Labour is picking up about 40% of this with Reform getting the rest which isn't far off the split of the 2019 Conservative vote recorded in polls.

The notional swing from Conservative to Labour in Clacton, the fifth safest Conservative seat, is 24.5% suggesting (and there's some evidence) the swing against the Conservatives is greater in its core seats rather than the marginals (which may be a glimmer of hope or it may not).

If you apply a 24.5% swing evenly, the Conservatives end up with 15 seats so that's just for fun but currently we are looking at some huge swings though given the size of the Conservative majority in their safest seats not enough for these seats to change hands.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

You often see pix of Hermann Goering in a white tunic, he probably thought it made him look less fat.
    Dire Straits nailed it:

Les boys do cabaret
    Les boys are glad to be gay
    They're not afraid now
    A disco bar in Germany
    Les boys are glad to be
    Upon parade now
    Les boys got leather straps
    Les boys got SS caps
    But they got no gun now
    Get dressed up get a little risqué
    Got to do a little s & m these days
    It's all in fun now
  • Options
    Leon said:

So. FPT

Tell us a story from one of your first visits to Bangkok.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

What do you think would fit in a PB collective definition of hard right?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Ok. They’re quite wild. @IanB2 and @kinabalu and @bondegezou - et al - will try to get me banned. You have to be ready to stick up for me
  • Options
    stodge said:

If you apply a 24.5% swing evenly, the Conservatives end up with 15 seats so that's just for fun but currently we are looking at some huge swings though given the size of the Conservative majority in their safest seats not enough for these seats to change hands.

Were you up for Mordaunt?

We always were, reply the PM4PM Stans.
  • Options
    edited January 14
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

What are you doing? For goodness sake don't encourage him. He's insufferable enough without being asked for requests.
  • Options
    Denmark has a king for the first time in 52 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederik_X
  • Options

Leon said:

So. FPT

Second post in and you are attempting to hijack the thread. A record I suspect even for @Leon .

@MarqueeMark commandeered the last thread beautifully. He achieved a parallel conversation and interesting diversion on the state of comedy with steely guile.

Two tips for you: it wasn't all about him and who these days is interested in the procurement of class A drugs? The accomplishment of which is neither big nor clever.
    Well I’ve got everyone talking about the correct summer attire for the SS, so that’s some small consolation
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Football is institutionally stupid. They spend years utterly refusing to countenance technological assistance while rugby, cricket, tennis etc introduce it quite effectively and without fuss - then suddenly do a big about turn and start swanking about as if they invented it, but, bafflingly, and uniquely to football, manage to make things more controversial rather than less.
    Football: you're a bloody idiot.
  • Options
    edited January 14
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Ok. They’re quite wild. @IanB2 and @kinabalu and @bondegezou - et al - will try to get me banned. You have to be ready to stick up for me
    You’re tolerated here as the yurodivy, because there’s just the one of you (at a time, obvs). If ever another great twat appeared, you’d both have to be banned or the site would go down the drain, as have so many others.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

I once saw a bunch of German lads rock up to a bar in Bratislava rocking the Afrika Corps look. Khaki/cream shirts/t-shirts and shorts, peaked caps (probably mostly baseball caps to be honest) with sunglasses on their hats a la that famous picture of Rommel with his tanker goggles on his hat. Mostly blond and with a certain swagger. To be honest they were probably just a bunch of young lads away for a beery weekend and dressed for a mitteleuropean summer, but if I thought WTF I'm not sure what the locals thought.
    Didn’t Bryan Ferry nearly get cancelled for saying the SS had cool uniforms?

Its ridiculous. Because they did. Hugo Boss knew what he was doing - as did Hitler and Goebbels. As did everyone since the year dot

Men look good in military uniforms - it’s why the royals crave them despite doing 2 weeks in the reserves. And the Nazi uniforms were particularly good - tho not the best

Some of the Italian uniforms from WW1 were just magnificent
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482
    stodge said:

Conservatives are losing nearly half their vote which we've seen in other previously safe Conservative seats at by-elections. In this instance, Labour is picking up about 40% of this with Reform getting the rest which isn't far off the split of the 2019 Conservative vote recorded in polls.

The notional swing from Conservative to Labour in Clacton, the fifth safest Conservative seat, is 24.5% suggesting (and there's some evidence) the swing against the Conservatives is greater in its core seats rather than the marginals (which may be a glimmer of hope or it may not).

Isn't that potentially really bad news for the 2024 Conservatives?

Small swings in places where a small swing loses and big swings where a big swing is necessary.

It might make for a friendlier battleground in 2028/9, but who cares about the distant future?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

You’re tolerated here as the yurodivy, because there’s just the one of you. If ever another great twat appeared, you’d both have to be banned or the site would go down the drain, as have so many others.
    You’re tolerated because you’re barely noticed and never say anything interesting, unless you post a photo of your special dog friend

I guess we must both be content with our stations in PB life
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Leon said:

So. FPT

"Steely guile"? Oo-er.

Have now finished over 4,000 lines of moth records on my spreadsheet for 2023. I think steering the conversation on this thread towards moths might be a greater challenge.

Although reminiscences of fash knickerbockers with braces is probably preferable to bigging up the ego of Nigel Farage.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,197

stodge said:

Isn't that potentially really bad news for the 2024 Conservatives?

Small swings in places where a small swing loses and big swings where a big swing is necessary.

It might make for a friendlier battleground in 2028/9, but who cares about the distant future?
    This could be similar to that which happened to SLAB in Scotland in 2015 which led to bigger swings to SNP in safer SLAB seats so leaving SLAB with next to nothing.

The difference this time is that there was huge enthusiasm for SNP in 2015 whereas there really isn't for LAB this time.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
  • Options
    Snowing pretty steadily here now. And it's lying.
    Re: VAR. Correct decision.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Its ridiculous. Because they did. Hugo Boss knew what he was doing - as did Hitler and Goebbels. As did everyone since the year dot

Men look good in military uniforms - it’s why the royals crave them despite doing 2 weeks in the reserves. And the Nazi uniforms were particularly good - tho not the best

Can't beat the Hussar and Lancer regiments. Napoleonic era French, British and Prussian uniforms for me.
  • Options

Leon said:

So. FPT

"Steely guile"? Oo-er.

Have now finished over 4,000 lines of moth records on my spreadsheet for 2023. I think steering the conversation on this thread towards moths might be a greater challenge.

Although reminiscences of fash knickerbockers with braces is probably preferable to bigging up the ego of Nigel Farage.
    Theory: Britain started going downhill when the army gave up wearing redcoats

Up until then we were unbeatable. After that…. Decline
  • Options

Leon said:

So. FPT

"Steely guile"? Oo-er.

Don't do it! Your moths would make a hell.of a mess of Leon's uniform collection.

Perhaps we could conflate the conversations and put Farage in an SS uniform in Frinton-on-Sea. That would confuse the over 70 voting contingent of North Essex.
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 81
    DavidL said:

It was the person who crossed the ball that was offside - nothing to do with the foot of the forward in the box.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    DavidL said:

I’m case this hasn’t been corrected, the offside was correct. The corner taker for was offside when the ball was played back to him.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Can't beat the Hussar and Lancer regiments. Napoleonic era French, British and Prussian uniforms for me.
    Yeah they were pretty cool

I wish I could find an image of the Italian uniform I’m recalling. It was a futurist regiment from the White War

They had feathers in their caps. Looked brilliant. Utterly impractical
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

"Steely guile"? Oo-er.

Coincidentally the decline of Butlins as a favoured holiday destination followed similar lines.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    edited January 14

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

I’ve had a sudden flashback to the days when royalists thought Hezza getting dressed up in a Nazi uniform (DAK I think?) was a bit of harmless fun. Tbf the Firm immediately realised it was a big boo boo and went into full apology mode.
  • Options
    Re VAR. Leave it to the ref.
    Well.
    Tarkowski went in strongly. No foul. Throw in given. Several players start pushing and shoving.
    Tarkowski walked away.
    Result. A Villa player and Tarkowski booked. Play re-starts with a throw in.
    Booked for not committing a foul, nor joining in the aftermath.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Wasn't Goering a transvestite?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

I wish I could find an image of the Italian uniform I’m recalling. It was a futurist regiment from the White War

Swiss Guard would scare the crap out of anyone.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

A white feather for the White War?
  • Options
    edited January 14

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Designed by Michelangelo!

(Allegedly)
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

I’ve had a sudden flashback to the days when royalists thought Hezza getting dressed up in a Nazi uniform (DAK I think?) was a bit of harmless fun. Tbf the Firm immediately realised it was a big boo boo and went into full apology mode.
    Struggled for a while to remember Michael Heseltine doing that.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Wasn't Goering a transvestite?
    He'd have belonged here, then:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67968112

Incidentally, not quite sure what the mot just for a gathering of drag queens ought to be, but can't help thinking it shouldn't be 'convention'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Designed by Michelangelo!

(Allegedly)
    Everyone has an off day.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

"Steely guile"? Oo-er.

I fear wearing redcoats throughout WWI on the Western Front may have been sub optimal. Even those martial fashionistas the French gave up on the red breeks after a few months of being picked off at will.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Do they have razor blades sewn into the brim of their Peaky Blinder hats?
  • Options
    There’s a whole book to be written about the psychological appeal of male military uniform - to men and to women

To men it is obvious. Suddenly you look smarter and harder and part of an army, ready to fight, testosterone surging, buttons polished and boots shining: the image of bravery

But the best male military uniforms appeal to women as well. Emphasising broad shoulders and narrow waist. The classic male inverted triangle

It is the equivalent - but more important, I’d say - of the way some men get turned on by nurses uniforms
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Bersaglieri?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    I think that Reform would probably perform far better in elections if they were named 'Nigel Farage's Reform Party'. I don't see that this name-change would be a problem (someone better versed in these things could let me know), and it would be a free way to get more votes. Beyond that, I am not sure what Nigel's current dance of the seven veils is really about. He doesn't have to be a candidate to lead the party into the election, and if he did succeed, does he really want to be a back-bench MP for 5 years, doing constituency surgeries and listening to boring speeches - perhaps he does.
  • Options

TimS said:

DavidL said:

He didn't mind being an MEP for all that time, so should we infer that the European Parliament has lower standards?
    I think he’s substantially richer now, and yes I think parliamentary scrutiny here - particularly the interest of the media - is greater than for MEPs.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

"Steely guile"? Oo-er.

I fear wearing redcoats throughout WWI on the Western Front may have been sub optimal. Even those martial fashionistas the French gave up on the red breeks after a few months of being picked off at will.
    Nonsense. Ok you’re a tiny bit conspicuous in a BRIGHT SCARLET COAT on a dull Picardy field but that just emphasises your bravery

Incidentally Scottish military uniforms are some of the best. I believe Jean Cocteau (IIRC) wrote a whole essay about his homoerotic swoon when he saw the Cameron Highlanders transporting to WW1 in full kilt and sporran
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Sorry, should be Hazza I guess! Rumours that Heseltine was wearing a Nazi uniform when he strangled his dog are entirely unfounded.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Bersaglieri?

Practising their 'what to do when engaged in battle with anyone not armed with spears' manoeuvres.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Whilst not 'hard right' Kemi Badenoch is the only person I've ever really heard in the front(ish) line of politics put forward a genuine small c conservative position on the world. It's genuine, its not an act (or is a very good act, but i dont think so), its Corbyn like in how the Conservative party membership lap it up. If she had got through to the membership when the parliamentary party bother to ask last time she would have gained huge support as the campaign developed.
    PO Scandal may finish her off. She cannot remain the invisible woman.

She talks the culture war talk, but disappears like the Cheshire Cat when a real scandal shows up.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Football is institutionally stupid. They spend years utterly refusing to countenance technological assistance while rugby, cricket, tennis etc introduce it quite effectively and without fuss - then suddenly do a big about turn and start swanking about as if they invented it, but, bafflingly, and uniquely to football, manage to make things more controversial rather than less.
    If they were smart (and they are anything but) they would abandon VAR and work on it in secret until they had figured out a way of using it to the benefit of the game. At the moment, it's a drag.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

Bersaglieri?

lol!

Similar to that but even more insane and also somewhat more chic

I saw them in the (really good) Italian museum of the great war in Rovereto
  • Options
    edited January 14

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

We had a similar debate a few days ago, but hard right is an interesting term and different from far right with fewer confusing Nazi connotations.

I’d put much of the MAGA right of the Republicans in the hard right (but Trump himself? It always seems like he cosplays hard/far right), Poland’s PiS, Le Pen’s RN, UKIP and some parts of Refuk, Matt Goodwin, and a handful of Tory MPs including Braverman.

Hard right to me is more than populism. It’s more ideological. But less fashy than far right.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,228
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

The Bersaglieri?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

So. FPT

He liked to wear the uniform but wasn’t so keen on being in the military
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

We had a similar debate a few days ago, but hard right is an interesting term and different from far right with fewer confusing Nazi connotations.

I’d put much of the MAGA right of the Republicans in the hard right (but Trump himself? It always seems like he cosplays hard/far right), Poland’s PiS, Le Pen’s RN, UKIP and some parts of Refuk, Matt Goodwin, and a handful of Tory MPs including Braverman.

Hard right to me is more than populism. It’s more ideological. But less fashy than far right.
    I’m not even sure Trump is hard right let alone far right

He’s trumpite. He doesn’t really have much philosophy other than what gets him elected with lots of populism and a dash of xenophobia and a deal making business agenda, treating America as a company

Defining him kinda OVER-complicates him
  • Options

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

If they were smart (and they are anything but) they would abandon VAR and work on it in secret until they had figured out a way of using it to the benefit of the game. At the moment, it's a drag.
    No other country, nor the World Cup, seemed to have a problem with it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Dura_Ace said:

I’m not even sure Trump is hard right let alone far right

He’s trumpite. He doesn’t really have much philosophy other than what gets him elected with lots of populism and a dash of xenophobia and a deal making business agenda, treating America as a company

Defining him kinda OVER-complicates him
    That’s exactly my point. He doesn’t strike me as remotely ideological, other than his ideology being Donald Trump, but he plays the hard/far right part - recall his bloodthirsty comments last week - because he knows his audience likes it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Foxy said:

PO Scandal may finish her off. She cannot remain the invisible woman.

She talks the culture war talk, but disappears like the Cheshire Cat when a real scandal shows up.
    The tactic helped 'Submarine' May survive the kind of scandals that would have finished off most Home Secretaries.
This discussion has been closed.