Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We need to talk about the smell of Trump – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 1 in General
We need to talk about the smell of Trump – politicalbetting.com

Here is team Trump’s response to the claim (they notably don’t deny it). https://t.co/s1gmKGD96J

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    1st day of Christmas?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    Sandpit said:

Good morning all, and happy Christmas Eve to PBers everywhere. Hope you are all with your loved ones, and looking forward to eating and drinking too much in the next few days.

May God be with you all, and may Santa bring many presents!

Yes, Happy Christmas to all.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,272
    Truly epochal response:

Adam Kinzinger farted on live TV and is an unemployed fraud,” the spokesperson said in a statement provided to The Independent.

“He has disgraced his country and disrespects everyone around him because he is a sad individual who is mad about how his miserable life has turned out.”

That’s taking projection to a whole new level.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,286
    Meanwhile in other news….

Cleverly told female guests at the reception that “a little bit of Rohypnol in her drink every night” was “not really illegal if it’s only a little bit”, the Sunday Mirror reported.

He also laughed that the secret to a long marriage was ensuring your spouse was “someone who is always mildly sedated so she can never realise there are better men out there”.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Oh good grief. Just when you think politicos cannot sink further.

Is he about to market “MAGA parfum de Trump”. Could be the start of a whole new business for failing right wing politicians? Coming to the Daily Mail shopping section…

Disgrace, parfum de Truss
    Piffle, pour homme, de Boris
    Lifestyle, un choix de Braverman

• Options
    edited December 2023
    IanB2 said:

Cleverly told female guests at the reception that “a little bit of Rohypnol in her drink every night” was “not really illegal if it’s only a little bit”, the Sunday Mirror reported.

He also laughed that the secret to a long marriage was ensuring your spouse was “someone who is always mildly sedated so she can never realise there are better men out there”.

How on earth has James Cleverly gone from being a fairly successful foreign secretary to complete lunacy in about a month and a half?

He should be sacked, but I’m betting he won’t be. Too soon after the last reshuffle.

Also, if Sunak knows the extent of Keegan’s complicity in the disaster unfolding at Ofsted, he’ll be aware that another reshuffle will be needed imminently. And the recall of Hinds, one of two education secretaries in the last 13 years not to completely crash and burn, suggests he does. He can’t really afford to lose two more ministers in quick succession though.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Jonathan said:

Is he about to market “MAGA parfum de Trump”. Could be the start of a whole new business for failing right wing politicians? Coming to the Daily Mail shopping section…

Eau Hypnol, esprit de Cleverly?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

If people will forgive me flippancy, we’d all be considerably safer and better off if Trump were kept under heavy sedation at all times.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

How on earth has James Cleverly gone from being a fairly successful foreign secretary to complete lunacy in about a month and a half?

He should be sacked, but I’m betting he won’t be. Too soon after the last reshuffle.

Also, if Sunak knows the extent of Keegan’s complicity in the disaster unfolding at Ofsted, he’ll be aware that another reshuffle will be needed imminently. And the recall of Hinds, one of two education secretaries in the last 13 years not to completely crash and burn, suggests he does. He can’t really afford to lose two more ministers in quick succession though.
    Cleverly's shocker will unfortunately probably be lost in the fog of Christmas.

I'd love to see Cyclefree's take on it though.
  • Options
    How many of the Free Palestine protestor mob are complete and utter morons?

Some of them are targeting and trying to shut down Zara stores. They celebrated getting a London shop to temporarily close yesterday after they righteously raided it

Zara's crime? They support genocide. The evidence? They released an ad campaign clearly mocking the unfolding tragedy in Gaza

The ad was made in September
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I'm just catching up with the Cleverley debacle. Hasn't Cleverley's wife recently had treatment for cancer? This makes the "someone who is always mildly sedated" gag even more distasteful.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

If people will forgive me flippancy, we’d all be considerably safer and better off if Trump were kept under heavy sedation at all times.
    There you have it. The only legitimate use of Rohypnol?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    SandraMc said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

I'm just catching up with the Cleverley debacle. Hasn't Cleverley's wife recently had treatment for cancer? This makes the "someone who is always mildly sedated" gag even more distasteful.
    I suppose that, combined with the stress of the Home Office, might explain his increasingly bizarre behaviour.

But it doesn’t excuse it.

Or Sunak, for putting him in this mess (which is largely of Sunak’s own making through his indulgence of Braverman).
  • Options
    A festive TV review (but only viewable on Sky Max and Now TV):

Hello and welcome to the daftest bit of programming for Christmas 2023. And I mean that in a good way. The Unofficial Science of Die Hard is presented by deadpan standup comedian Paul Chowdhry and less deadpan standup Chris Ramsey, who together have most daft presenting bases covered. Their festive mission is to investigate the feats performed by everyone’s favourite everyman, John McClane, in the 1988 blockbuster (set during an unfortunate Christmas party in Nakatomi Plaza) that has become a yuletide staple. Their aim is to see if they can re-enact the stunts without dying. Think of it as a movie-specific MythBusters with a dash of Taskmaster thrown in. It is ideal for children and the lightly drunk, which by this time should be most of us. Slainte!

• Options

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

It's on the last thread!
  • Options

In many ways the issue with Cleverly is not the actual words he used, it's the mentality behind it.

The whole thing is nuts. Perhaps I'm just a woke snowflake or have led a protected life but I was completely speechless when I read about it. Who makes "jokes" about rape? How can he keep his job? Even if he weren't in charge of policing his remarks should lead straight to a P45.
  • Options

In many ways the issue with Cleverly is not the actual words he used, it's the mentality behind it.

The whole thing is nuts. Perhaps I'm just a woke snowflake or have led a protected life but I was completely speechless when I read about it. Who makes "jokes" about rape? How can he keep his job? Even if he weren't in charge of policing his remarks should lead straight to a P45.
    You and me both!
  • Options
    BBC seem to be giving Cleverly an easy ride on this one:

"Home Secretary James Cleverly criticised over drink spiking joke"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67813689
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,478
    edited December 2023

Horrible feeling that it was filed in his mind as "Matez Bantz" or "Anything is permissible as long as it makes people laugh".

See also the "if we have to publish all the off-colour WhatsApp messages, it will ruin government communication" complaints. The idea of... you know... being a bit more professional and less crude doesn't seem to have occurred to people.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Sandpit said:

Good morning all, and happy Christmas Eve to PBers everywhere. Hope you are all with your loved ones, and looking forward to eating and drinking too much in the next few days.

I've woken for what looks like an extremely busy day and Cleverly still isn't. Another terminally wounded zombie of a Minister who cannot be taken seriously by anyone, not even his wife.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Horrible feeling that it was filed in his mind as "Matez Bantz" or "Anything is permissible as long as it makes people laugh".

See also the "if we have to publish all the off-colour WhatsApp messages, it will ruin government communication" complaints. The idea of... you know... being a bit more professional and less crude doesn't seem to have occurred to people.
    It's the idea that Cleverly himself would think his comments remotely amusing in any way that troubles me most.

Not Fit For Office.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I've woken for what looks like an extremely busy day and Cleverly still isn't. Another terminally wounded zombie of a Minister who cannot be taken seriously by anyone, not even his wife.
    And Cleverly was basically meant to be the grownup. From which I've got two questions:

Have any of the 2019 generation of Conservatives enhanced their reputations by being in government, even in a "decent but doomed" way? There must be someone.

Have we reached the point where things are unambiguously worse than they were in 1996/7?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

And Cleverly was basically meant to be the grownup. From which I've got two questions:

Have any of the 2019 generation of Conservatives enhanced their reputations by being in government, even in a "decent but doomed" way? There must be someone.

Have we reached the point where things are unambiguously worse than they were in 1996/7?
    I’ve been watching politics, and sometimes been involved at a fairly low level, for over 60 years. And the answer is yes, things are worse than they were in 1996/7 and indeed worse than they have been at any time in my recollection. Even the last years of the Brown administration.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I’ve been watching politics, and sometimes been involved at a fairly low level, for over 60 years. And the answer is yes, things are worse than they were in 1996/7 and indeed worse than they have been at any time in my recollection. Even the last years of the Brown administration.
    Worse than December 1973?
  • Options
    Anyway, back on topic:

Trump definitely stinks. Worse than any politician in the history of the US.*

And apparently he has BO as well.

*Including Albert Bacon Fall.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Social media didn't exist, and social media makes its users feel superior ny administering a dozen little crucifixions every day.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Worse than December 1973?
    Good question, but on consideration yes. Heath was at least supported by fairly reasonable ministers.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430

There’s a small difference between having privacy to hash out policy ideas and hiding disgusting and stupid remarks.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Happy Christmas Eve all.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Worse for whom? If the government I would say its pretty even. The Major government never recovered from Black Wednesday which destroyed irredeemably their reputation for economic competence, which, arguably, had given them a surprise win earlier the same year. The Truss episode caused the Tories significant damage but the changes in personnel gives them some relief from that. Otherwise, we don't really have the equivalent of the cash for questions scandal although some would point to Baroness Mone and the PPE contracts.

I don't think Labour are in anything like as strong a position. Blair, for all his many faults, was a brilliant politician and early Brown had a great deal more credibility than Reeves has generated to date. His prawn sandwich offensive in the City made it clear that Labour could be trusted with the economy and generated a lot of favourable press.

Both governments had a sense of decay and a lack of purpose about them, I don't think that there is a lot to choose between them, but the Opposition is not as strong.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Worse for whom? If the government I would say its pretty even. The Major government never recovered from Black Wednesday which destroyed irredeemably their reputation for economic competence, which, arguably, had given them a surprise win earlier the same year. The Truss episode caused the Tories significant damage but the changes in personnel gives them some relief from that. Otherwise, we don't really have the equivalent of the cash for questions scandal although some would point to Baroness Mone and the PPE contracts.

I don't think Labour are in anything like as strong a position. Blair, for all his many faults, was a brilliant politician and early Brown had a great deal more credibility than Reeves has generated to date. His prawn sandwich offensive in the City made it clear that Labour could be trusted with the economy and generated a lot of favourable press.

Both governments had a sense of decay and a lack of purpose about them, I don't think that there is a lot to choose between them, but the Opposition is not as strong.
    The government also still has a very large overall majority. Unlike Major post-Maastricht where he de facto and then de jure was running a minority government by the grace of the Ulster Unionists and his whips fiddling pairing.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Very good comment, especially the last two sentences. What is alarming, and I mean that, is the collapse of the Conservatives as a party of government since the departure of Theresa May.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited December 2023
    Later morning all.

And a Happy Christmas.

I've just done my Christmas Eve todo list, and it's about 3 days activity :wink: .

Meanwhile, my sister has been taken into hospital a couple of days ago for a debilitating but not serious condition (I think), and I expect in hospital style they will keep her in for a week or so to make sure that when she goes out again there is no risk of her coming back. So my BiL is going to be run off his feet, and I need to find a Thinking of You card.

On topic, I wonder if this Cleverly emerging-misogyny cum size-11-boot-down-his-own-throat will be a bit of a slow-burner? I'd say in 2023 that this is a political hole beneath the waterline.

I would draw a parallel with Boris and the Chris Pincher affair, however that one only took about a week - but Bojo knew about Chris Pincher's reputation years before aiui.
  • Options

Cleverly's defence might be that rohypnol was just a lead-up to the self-deprecating punchline that his wife could do a lot better than him. (Still, he'd likely be out of a job if it was found in a police WhatsApp chat.) And I can think of one well-known comedy duo who joked about rohypnol on their BBC sketch show 10-20 years ago without, so far as I can recall, any great outcry.
  • Options

Cleverly's defence might be that rohypnol was just a lead-up to the self-deprecating punchline that his wife could do a lot better than him. (Still, he'd likely be promoted to Chief Constable if it was found in a police WhatsApp chat.) And I can think of one well-known comedy duo who joked about rohypnol on their BBC sketch show 10-20 years ago without, so far as I can recall, any great outcry.
    FTFY.

I won’t add a smiley as I am unfortunately not joking.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Jonathan said:

There is a Trump fragrance on the market - "Success by Donald Trump".

I can only imagine who might buy it (it's too expensive to gift as a poor taste joke).
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,799

There’s a small difference between having privacy to hash out policy ideas and hiding disgusting and stupid remarks.

It does not seem to have occurred to the political class - and the journos who support them - that the laws on public information access, enforced on any public sector worker, apply to the same political class insofar that they are acting in the public service as well.

They have been in force for many years now but even before that my colleagues and I in the public agencies and civil service had to be "more professional and less crude".
  • Options

Some of them are targeting and trying to shut down Zara stores. They celebrated getting a London shop to temporarily close yesterday after they righteously raided it

Zara's crime? They support genocide. The evidence? They released an ad campaign clearly mocking the unfolding tragedy in Gaza

Mostly all of them
  • Options
    Is Cleverly being cancelled?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

The Major government was nowhere near as weak, despite its non existent majority.
    The party was exhausted and bereft of ideas after so long in government, but they still had a numbed of fairly strong and competent ministers.
    And a much smaller percentage of the party had been driven mad by Europe.

Blair was a brilliant politician - but neither he nor Brown really understood what was needed to move on from Thatcherism, as opposed to just spending much more money (necessary, but not sufficient).
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,226
    those thinking that Labour under Starmer are not as strong as they were under Blair may be right, however, when even stupid, puerile jokes trip up the Tories, then it seems that the Tories under Sunak are even weaker than they were under Major.

With the Michelle Mone scandal just beginning to move, with rumours of more beyond in the Great PPE robbery, and yet further fun scandals yet to emerge concerning other cabinet ministers this may not be the nadir for the Tories.
  • Options

Good morning

I want to wish everyone a very happy and enjoyable Christmas

I find politics hugely depressing at present and Cleverly's comments unacceptable even in jest

My hopes for 2024 is an improvement in my present health issues as the three consultants I am under come up with a treatment plan, look forward to my 80th on the 29th February having only had 20 actual birthday, our diamond wedding in May, and a GE that sees the conservatives sent into opposition and the election of Starmer and Labour

I would say I have no great expectations that Starmer will resolve any of the complex issues we face today and even his most dedicated supporters must accept he is far from being a Blair for whom I voted twice

Starmer is closer to John Smith than Blair. Smart, tough and hardworking. Has succeeded outside politics.

After the headline obsessed showmanship, incompetence and corruption of the past seven years, he might be exactly what we need.
  • Options

No woke or snowflakeyness about this one. It’s clearly a deeply inappropriate comment. That’s before you even factor in the guy is the sodding Home Secretary.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

A festive TV review (but only viewable on Sky Max and Now TV):

Hello and welcome to the daftest bit of programming for Christmas 2023. And I mean that in a good way. The Unofficial Science of Die Hard is presented by deadpan standup comedian Paul Chowdhry and less deadpan standup Chris Ramsey, who together have most daft presenting bases covered. Their festive mission is to investigate the feats performed by everyone’s favourite everyman, John McClane, in the 1988 blockbuster (set during an unfortunate Christmas party in Nakatomi Plaza) that has become a yuletide staple. Their aim is to see if they can re-enact the stunts without dying. Think of it as a movie-specific MythBusters with a dash of Taskmaster thrown in. It is ideal for children and the lightly drunk, which by this time should be most of us. Slainte!

Here is a YouTube video of a trauma surgeon analysing the Home Alone films.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgd_V5WqLjg
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited December 2023
    That's an insight into James Cleverly then, isn't it. Best that we know.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

those thinking that Labour under Starmer are not as strong as they were under Blair may be right, however, when even stupid, puerile jokes trip up the Tories, then it seems that the Tories under Sunak are even weaker than they were under Major.

With the Michelle Mone scandal just beginning to move, with rumours of more beyond in the Great PPE robbery, and yet further fun scandals yet to emerge concerning other cabinet ministers this may not be the nadir for the Tories.

No doubt that the Tories are weaker than Majors government right now. Hence why a landslide (and even a near wipeout, under the right conditions) isn’t implausible, even if Starmer Labour hasn’t “sealed the deal”.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

The Major government was nowhere near as weak, despite its non existent majority.
    The party was exhausted and bereft of ideas after so long in government, but they still had a numbed of fairly strong and competent ministers.

Blair was a brilliant politician - but neither he nor Brown really understood what was needed to move on from Thatcherism, as opposed to just spending much more money (necessary, but not sufficient).
    For all the pratfalls, all the humiliation, all the sleaze, Major's government did leave a pretty decent legacy in some ways.

And the sleaze was mostly fairly small fry- junior ministers and backbenchers. For example, can you imagine Michael Howard joking about rohypnol?

As for the future- it's hard to imagine any politician being able to actively sell a "we're poorer than we all thought, get used to it" message to the public. Blair didn't even try. Question is, is the UK prepared to internalise that message, accept that it's not going to be fun for anyone and worse than that for most, and trust the government to apportion the pain as well as can be done?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited December 2023

Good morning

I find politics hugely depressing at present and Cleverly's comments unacceptable even in jest

My hopes for 2024 is an improvement in my present health issues as the three consultants I am under come up with a treatment plan, look forward to my 80th on the 29th February having only had 20 actual birthday, our diamond wedding in May, and a GE that sees the conservatives sent into opposition and the election of Starmer and Labour

I would say I have no great expectations that Starmer will resolve any of the complex issues we face today and even his most dedicated supporters must accept he is far from being a Blair for whom I voted twice

Mr Big_G sir - an improvement in both of your health issues would be a Christmas gift. For all that we enjoy the cut and thrust of politics, it is a distraction from our immediate and basic needs - health being the big one.

As for your entirely valid observations about Labour & Starmer - does it matter that there is no easy fix to the mess the country is in and that the Labour team aren't that dynamic?

If a 2023 version of Blair and his team from 1997 were the opposition then things clearly would get better in May. As it is, basic human decency would be served by removing this government. If the only substantive change is that we then get a government which isn't corrupt and immoral and sneeringly disgusted by the people of this country, isn't that worth it?

A Home Secretary who doesn't brand the town with the lowest life expectancy for women a "shithole" and instead does something to make those women live longer. A Home Secretary who doesn't find rape and marital coercion funny. That would be a positive step.
    Good morning @RochdalePioneers

Thank you for your kind words and my present health issues do tend to override my bandwidth for political discourse

This government is tired and out of time and Starmer will be the next PM

Starmer will not have any effect on me personally and he will have a honeymoon, but I expect in due course his ministers and mps will do and say stupid things because in the end they are all politicians and it has been ever thus
  • Options
    Got to go in a few minutes but saw some interesting (Real Life Lore, and Good Times Bad Times) YouTube vids on Guyana.

Essentially, its economy has been growing like crazy recently thanks to oil discoveries, whereas Venezuela's has cratered. Also, suggests the US and others (such as us and other European nations) will likely back Guyana up if it comes to military action).

Anyway, must be off.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

For all the pratfalls, all the humiliation, all the sleaze, Major's government did leave a pretty decent legacy in some ways.

And the sleaze was mostly fairly small fry- junior ministers and backbenchers. For example, can you imagine Michael Howard joking about rohypnol?

As for the future- it's hard to imagine any politician being able to actively sell a "we're poorer than we all thought, get used to it" message to the public. Blair didn't even try. Question is, is the UK prepared to internalise that message, accept that it's not going to be fun for anyone and worse than that for most, and trust the government to apportion the pain as well as can be done?
    I think one of the most urgent issues facing a new Labour government is the triple lock and affordability of pensions

It is almost certain the pension age will have to rise, even to 75 as some economist say, and that will be hugely unpopular
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

The cash for question scandal is a huge indicator of how standards have fallen. In the 90s it led to widespread disgust across the aisle. Now, we currently have one MP under sanction for something similar and it’s barely registered in the wider media.
  • Options
    Off-topic, but this is one of the better football articles I have read in a Long Time https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/dec/23/dull-manchester-united-plumb-new-depths-in-defeat-to-west-ham

As Gary Neville has been pointing out for ages, the blame isn't with the manager or players - it is with the club. We know Cafe Haag is a good manager, we know the players are good players. So what happens to make them - and a succession of predecessors - so terrible when they arrive at Old Trafford?

The club. A crumbling edifice, rotten from the top down with a stadium so knackered and a management so inept that they can't even keep the kitchens clean. The stench of decay is everywhere, and until the Glazers are finally prized from the board room it will not get better.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

As well as doling out the pain, government needs to work out how we pull ourselves back up.
    There's no real sign of a coherent plan for that from either government or opposition.
  • Options

Off-topic, but this is one of the better football articles I have read in a Long Time https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/dec/23/dull-manchester-united-plumb-new-depths-in-defeat-to-west-ham

As Gary Neville has been pointing out for ages, the blame isn't with the manager or players - it is with the club. We know Cafe Haag is a good manager, we know the players are good players. So what happens to make them - and a succession of predecessors - so terrible when they arrive at Old Trafford?

The club. A crumbling edifice, rotten from the top down with a stadium so knackered and a management so inept that they can't even keep the kitchens clean. The stench of decay is everywhere, and until the Glazers are finally prized from the board room it will not get better.

Absolutely spot on
  • Options
    Tanker hit off India coast by drone from Iran, says US
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-67811929
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good morning

Mr Big_G sir - an improvement in both of your health issues would be a Christmas gift. For all that we enjoy the cut and thrust of politics, it is a distraction from our immediate and basic needs - health being the big one.

As for your entirely valid observations about Labour & Starmer - does it matter that there is no easy fix to the mess the country is in and that the Labour team aren't that dynamic?

If a 2023 version of Blair and his team from 1997 were the opposition then things clearly would get better in May. As it is, basic human decency would be served by removing this government. If the only substantive change is that we then get a government which isn't corrupt and immoral and sneeringly disgusted by the people of this country, isn't that worth it?

A Home Secretary who doesn't brand the town with the lowest life expectancy for women a "shithole" and instead does something to make those women live longer. A Home Secretary who doesn't find rape and marital coercion funny. That would be a positive step.

Thank you for your kind words and my present health issues do tend to override my bandwidth for political discourse

Starmer will not have any effect on me personally and he will have a honeymoon, but I expect in due course his ministers and mps will do and say stupid things because in the end they are all politicians and it have been ever thus
    This “they are all the same” meme is a small, seems to be a common thread from PB Tories. I guess it’s a way of dealing with the unprecedented disgrace of the past five years.

The truth is that politicians are not all like Truss, Boris and Sunak. Some are pretty effective and/or dedicated to service rather than their personal glory or some massive ego trip.

We can do better than this government.
    As I said earlier, there seems to be no gutter too filthy for the remaining Tories (and Big_G is not one) to crawl in to justify why their party should carry on.

We either rescue our politics or we defile the whole country. Some things are basics of morality, of right and wrong. Can anyone honestly claim that making jokes about rape and spousal battery aren't that bad? From the *Home Secretary*?

He HAS to go. And you know it. Supposedly moral Tories need to grow a spine and call it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Jonathan said:

Good morning

Starmer will not have any effect on me personally and he will have a honeymoon, but I expect in due course his ministers and mps will do and say stupid things because in the end they are all politicians and it have been ever thus
    This “they are all the same” meme is a small, seems to be a common thread from PB Tories. I guess it’s a way of dealing with the unprecedented disgrace of the past five years.

The truth is that politicians are not all like Truss, Boris and Sunak. Some are pretty effective and/or dedicated to service rather than their personal glory or some massive ego trip.

You prove your point with the three you mention. Johnson, Truss, Sunak have all been astoundingly poor PMs but they've been astoundingly poor in very different ways.
  • Options

Absolutely spot on
    We have two choices when faced with adversity - laugh or cry. I try to laugh, and there is so much to laugh about with the mess that United are in. I have to assume that Hag will get the sack soon, with a quick fire sale of supposedly marquee players and the hasty purchase of others.

Won't help. Anthony. Casemiro. Varane. These are great players ruined by United. Sell them and they will go back to being great.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I think one of the most urgent issues facing a new Labour government is the triple lock and affordability of pensions

It is almost certain the pension age will have to rise, even to 75 as some economist say, and that will be hugely unpopular
    75! You might as well have no pension at all. Good luck selling that.

We need better private pensions. But the truth of the matter is that too many fund managers are taking out too much. The investor is last in the queue.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good morning

As I said earlier, there seems to be no gutter too filthy for the remaining Tories (and Big_G is not one) to crawl in to justify why their party should carry on.

We either rescue our politics or we defile the whole country. Some things are basics of morality, of right and wrong. Can anyone honestly claim that making jokes about rape and spousal battery aren't that bad? From the *Home Secretary*?

He HAS to go. And you know it. Supposedly moral Tories need to grow a spine and call it out.
    Should a bad-taste joke really be allowed to distract attention from the stench of corruption that looks like it might spread beyond her baronessladyship? Or a shrinking economy? Ironically it is Tory opponents turning this into a dead cat.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Good morning

Absolutely. Chucking a bit of mud around saying ‘they’re all the same” is not the way to handle this moment.

The way to handle this moment is to acknowledge the wrong turn the Conservative party took with Boris. They need to recognise that whilst the rot spread from the head and the source of the infection was removed, the rest of body is still infected.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Jonathan said:

Good morning

You'd have thought Cleverly might have remembered that doctor who recently wrote that extraordinarily tone deaf letter to the Times about sexual harassment of junior female doctors.

Anyway there's always this - https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/the-cynics-dictionary/

The original version was published on here in autumn 2017.

We may end up seeing a version of this -

I have reflected on my position” – “My wife / the PM / the Chief Whip has been shouting at me all weekend.”

If we want to be really cynical, maybe this is his attempt to get out of being Home Secretary. And we'll end up with Suella again. Anything is possible with this lot.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Good article by Dan Hodges on the crazy way Sunak has played the hand he was dealt

“ Somehow the Government has allowed itself to become caricatured as a group of extremist Neanderthals, who are intent on destroying Britain's economy and social fabric with a series of brutal and callous spending cuts in pursuit of their fanatical neo-conservative agenda.

A few months ago Sunak was even described by The Economist as 'the most Right-wing Conservative leader of his generation'.

It's a fantasy. Since Rishi Sunak became Chancellor, and then Prime Minister, no peacetime British government has borrowed more. No government in British history has spent more on the NHS and other public services. No government has taxed the British people more to fund its vast expenditure.

But for some bizarre reason Sunak and his aides have manifestly failed to contextualise this reality. Or even attempt to frame it to their advantage.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-12897657/DAN-HODGES-Rishi-started-2023-vowing-bring-hope-ends-year-brink-calamitous-defeat.html
  • Options

Mostly all of them
    I guess the paediatricians better put the plywood back up, over the windows.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Absolutely spot on
    Is that a metaphor for the government, as well?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited December 2023

Absolutely spot on
    We have two choices when faced with adversity - laugh or cry. I try to laugh, and there is so much to laugh about with the mess that United are in. I have to assume that Hag will get the sack soon, with a quick fire sale of supposedly marquee players and the hasty purchase of others.

Won't help. Anthony. Casemiro. Varane. These are great players ruined by United. Sell them and they will go back to being great.
    I remember in the 1980s driving home from Old Trafford with my young teenager daughter in tears in the back of the car (we both had season tickets) at yet another abject United performance.

This season brings back those memories as she What's app me after matches with tearful emojis even though she is now in her 50s

I remember going into a meeting at Old Trafford with the late great Bobby Charlton and we were chatting at the time how well United were doing, which they were, and he said to enjoy the good days as they will come and go - wise words from a wonderful person

I do not get troubled by United anymore and agree that the toxicity of the Glazers is there for all to see, and maybe once Ratcliffe is installed a gradual change will come about but it will not be quick
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,543

No.

Context and personal position matter.

Were he a comedian on stage making the same joke we would consider it risque and there would be a few moans and groans and drawn breath. Most of us would not find it funny. But comedians are supposed to push the limits and offend in what they say. We might think the joke out of order but sacking someone for it would be OTT and would be cancelling.

The Home Secretary, the man in charge of devising and overseeing rules to protect all sections of society, making such a joke at a Government function, is clearly so far outside acceptable that he should go. This is not cancellation. It is someone showing they simply don't understand or appreciate the harm done by a senior minister making jokes about situations that put the lives and well being of women at risk.
    Yes. What I find weird about Cleverly's "joke" is that he went ahead and made it anyway. Most of us pause before making inappropriate comments and think 'better not say that'. But not Cleverly. Which suggests he doesn't even have the self-awareness to appreciate that it wasn't funny or appropriate. The fact that it was in a 'private' forum is neither here nor there.
  • Options

"All politicians are the same".

Keir Starmer is every way a more decent person than Boris Johnson. To say otherwise is just bizarre.

Donald Trump is exactly the same as Obama.
  • Options

No.

Were he a comedian on stage making the same joke we would consider it risque and there would be a few moans and groans and drawn breath. Most of us would not find it funny. But comedians are supposed to push the limits and offend in what they say. We might think the joke out of order but sacking someone for it would be OTT and would be cancelling.

The Home Secretary, the man in charge of devising and overseeing rules to protect all sections of society, making such a joke at a Government function, is clearly so far outside acceptable that he should go. This is not cancellation. It is someone showing they simply don't understand or appreciate the harm done by a senior minister making jokes about situations that put the lives and well being of women at risk.
    Yes. What I find weird about Cleverly's "joke" is that he went ahead and made it anyway. Most of us pause before making inappropriate comments and think 'better not say that'. But not Cleverly. Which suggests he doesn't even have the self-awareness to appreciate that it wasn't funny or appropriate. The fact that it was in a 'private' forum is neither here nor there.
    Are we going to say he is autistic or is that slur only reserved for left wing scum?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    edited December 2023

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

See my comment just now. And on the previous thread. I've read much worse than that "joke" at work. I'm just weary with it all.

I was raped in my early 20's by a lawyer. My drink was spiked. I don't find any of this funny. At all.

As it is Xmas my husband has presented me with this bauble - from Carlisle cathedral. It is of the beautiful ceiling there.

It reminds me - if no-one else I've mentioned it too - a little of the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua.

The Scrovegni Chapel is here -

https://images.app.goo.gl/4uiUJnUa1x4RAisA9

• Options
    isam said:

Good article by Dan Hodges on the crazy way Sunak has played the hand he was dealt

“ Somehow the Government has allowed itself to become caricatured as a group of extremist Neanderthals, who are intent on destroying Britain's economy and social fabric with a series of brutal and callous spending cuts in pursuit of their fanatical neo-conservative agenda.

A few months ago Sunak was even described by The Economist as 'the most Right-wing Conservative leader of his generation'.

It's a fantasy. Since Rishi Sunak became Chancellor, and then Prime Minister, no peacetime British government has borrowed more. No government in British history has spent more on the NHS and other public services. No government has taxed the British people more to fund its vast expenditure.

But for some bizarre reason Sunak and his aides have manifestly failed to contextualise this reality. Or even attempt to frame it to their advantage.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-12897657/DAN-HODGES-Rishi-started-2023-vowing-bring-hope-ends-year-brink-calamitous-defeat.html

I remember thinking something similar, when there was a minor outbreak of outrage over care costs. The one where £250k a head, per year, was being planned to be spent to bring up some children in care, in a customised house in a Cotswolds village, IIRC.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,725

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

We need better private pensions. But the truth of the matter is that too many fund managers are taking out too much. The investor is last in the queue.
    That's why you don't use fund managers.

Online stockbroker, then choose ETFs/indiv shares which are dirt cheap. Cuts out the fund manager and the salesmen (aka financial adviser).
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

That's why you don't use fund managers.

Online stockbroker, then choose ETFs/indiv shares which are dirt cheap. Cuts out the fund manager and the salesmen (aka financial adviser).
    Agreed, if you have a significant amount to invest. If you are starting out and only have enough to afford a handful of individual shares, the risk of doing so for something as important as a pension is too great. Although you're right that a well chosen ETF can do the job, or buy shares in an IT where the effect of admin costs/charges is commonly less than for funds
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,645
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

IanB2 said:

See my comment just now. And on the previous thread. I've read much worse than that "joke" at work. I'm just weary with it all.

I was raped in my early 20's by a lawyer. My drink was spiked. I don't find any of this funny. At all.

As it is Xmas my husband has presented me with this bauble - from Carlisle cathedral. It is of the beautiful ceiling there.

It reminds me - if no-one else I've mentioned it too - a little of the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua.

The Scrovegni Chapel is here -

https://images.app.goo.gl/4uiUJnUa1x4RAisA9

The Scrovegni Chapel is my favourite frescoed church ever. Introduced to it by my now wife on our first holiday together touring Italy in 1996. Not as over-touristed as most other Italian sites too.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710

I was out in Liverpool city centre yesterday.
    The Palestian loons had a stand on Lord Street, ranting about something or another. I just saw their banner, "The river to the sea."
    I did wonder if those manning the stall really understood what they were supporting.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2023

isam said:

I remember thinking something similar, when there was a minor outbreak of outrage over care costs. The one where £250k a head, per year, was being planned to be spent to bring up some children in care, in a customised house in a Cotswolds village, IIRC.
    On top of all the spending, borrowing and tax
    hikes, this govt has increased immigration to record levels. It is a left wingers dream, yet left wingers hate it, because they are obsessed with personality rather than policy - having their man in charge rather than a nasty Tory. Right wingers on
    here hate it too, because of the policies, yet Hodges is correct; a clever politician would be
    able to turn what’s happened into an advantage, yet Sunak has disappointed everyone
  • Options

No.

That it made the media so quickly also suggests that Cleverly has enemies and that the Tories are still all at each other's throats, blind to the electoral consequences
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343

Good morning

Happy Christmad too, Big_G - that all sounds rather promising!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,641

"All politicians are the same".

Keir Starmer is every way a more decent person than Boris Johnson. To say otherwise is just bizarre.

I am no fan of Starmer or Labour, but I believe that statement is very true.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,945
    IanB2 said:

No.

That it made the media so quickly also suggests that Cleverly has enemies and that the Tories are still all at each other's throats, blind to the electoral consequences
    It was, according to the news this morning, a Mirror journalist who leaked it. Usually what is said at these press parties is kept private but the journalist decided to run with it due to Cleverly’s job etc.
  • Options

No.

Making 'risque' jokes and comments is often a sign of preening self-regard.

"Most people wouldn't dare say this but, me, I've got the gumption and personality to carry it off."

This is what's going on in the head in such cases.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    isam said:

On top of all the spending, borrowing and tax
    hikes, this govt has increased immigration to record levels. It is a left wingers dream, yet left wingers hate it, because they are obsessed with personality rather than policy - having their man in charge rather than a nasty Tory. Right wingers on
    here hate it too, because of the policies, yet Hodges is correct; a clever politician would be
    able to turn what’s happened into an advantage, yet Sunak has disappointed everyone

I think these charts, while obviously selected for political purposes, are pretty convincing:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1736830532539818083.html?fbclid=IwAR1v8VJOMC-zrmY1CPtHf9HaV2TFcl8-5mHp5rxe3x_PERIF_RHof1tAgFw

This is not a left-winger's dream. It's simply bad government.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,819
    IanB2 said:

...Their aim is to see if they can re-enact the stunts without dying...

Um, there's an obvious problem there...

• Options

No.

Spot on.

This is one that I really hope (probably against hope) isn’t drawn into the culture war. It’s so clearly, egregiously wrong for him to say, we could do without turning this into some ‘freedom of speech’ rubbish.
  • Options
    Fog in the Solent, but be reassured that North Island isn't cut off..
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

An excellent point about Michael Howard. It is possibly a good indicator of how far public discourse and confidence in politicians has fallen in the last two decades that the general feeling is that Cleverly should NOT be sacked.

By any meaningful measure, any politician who thinks giving women a date rape drug is a topic of amusement should be shown the door pronto.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Until people are actively encouraged to invest in the long term, instead of spending their money on instant gratification, not enough will be invested in pensions. Until investment in the markets is understood to be a good thing, and until the attitude that property is a guaranteed win, hopefully via a price crash that makes owning your own home as a place to live, not just something to pass onto your children, then people will continue to not invest enough in their pensions.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,991
    Dear Santa

Can you please send me an early election for Christmas?

Yours hopefully

Fairliered
  • Options

Good morning

Happy Christmad too, Big_G - that all sounds rather promising!
    Thank you Nick and all the best to you and yours
This discussion has been closed.