Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Is New Hampshire about to dump Trump? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728
    edited December 2023
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Out of Biden, Trump and Haley, which one is most likely to get involved in a major war?

This is emerging as the biggest thing to cling to if Trump does somehow get himself back into the oval office. He might not trigger WW3.
    His opposition to liberal imperial wars was one of the main parts of his platform from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpW3yn0d0mE
    Yet he ramped up military spending and had a crush on generals. Something's not quite scanning.
    It used to be that the US political joke went -

“The Republicans want a huge military and send it nowhere. The Democrats want a small military and send it everywhere.”
  • Options
    TimS said:

I've not quite finished for Christmas, I'm working tomorrow doing parcels, but today was the last mail round

It was a pretty light day for mail, so I decided to try to do a tiny little bit of good. I knocked on loads of doors today just to wish people a Merry Christmas and have a quick chat

They're people who live on their own, some always waiting for their carers, or those who care for a partner, or single mums - all people who might get lonely

All of them thanked me for cheering up their day and were smiling when I left. In case anyone wonders whether I was whoring for tips; I refused the only two that were almost offered

I really was just trying to be nice, and I've had a jolly spring in my step all day

I'm the nicest I am in the whole year at Christmas. I give tips and donations to people and charities galore.

It always feels good and it's sort of what Christmas is about, in my view.

I should probably do more of it the rest of the year.
    Funny isn’t it? Costs nothing, but we generally pull back from airy cheerfulness with the general public most of the year. Even the patronising Capon butcher had a twinkle in his eye today.
    The tragedy of the human condition.

We know what is good for body and soul. We get just enough hints of it in normal life. Moments like Christmas give us stronger pointers. So did COVID Round One, I reckon.

And we still find it so hard to do.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

Haley hates trans people.

No, she doesn’t.

She is concerned that an activist led agenda is promoting trans rights at the expense of teenage girls, but that’s something different entirely.
    I think making things up about suicide involving girls because of trans issues is pretty hateful.
    Citation needed.
  • Options

No, she doesn’t.

She is concerned that an activist led agenda is promoting trans rights at the expense of teenage girls, but that’s something different entirely.
    I think making things up about suicide involving girls because of trans issues is pretty hateful.
    Citation needed.
    What would you like me to cite? That Haley made up what she said?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

boulay said:

Does she really “hate” trans people or does she have differing views on gender from you and other people?
    Nikki Haley suggests transgender kids are causing suicidal ideation in teenage girls

Hateful woman.
    That’s not what she said

She said that aggressive bullying and telling teenage girls that their voices didn’t matter was causing distress and contributing to suicidal ideation.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I've not quite finished for Christmas, I'm working tomorrow doing parcels, but today was the last mail round

It was a pretty light day for mail, so I decided to try to do a tiny little bit of good. I knocked on loads of doors today just to wish people a Merry Christmas and have a quick chat

They're people who live on their own, some always waiting for their carers, or those who care for a partner, or single mums - all people who might get lonely

All of them thanked me for cheering up their day and were smiling when I left. In case anyone wonders whether I was whoring for tips; I refused the only two that were almost offered

I really was just trying to be nice, and I've had a jolly spring in my step all day

You probably won't get a knighthood like Welby - but you're more likely to get our likes.
    I only want to be honoured after I've persuaded the King to buy Royal Mail

• Options

boulay said:

Does she really “hate” trans people or does she have differing views on gender from you and other people?
    Nikki Haley suggests transgender kids are causing suicidal ideation in teenage girls

Hateful woman.
    That’s not what she said

She said that aggressive bullying and telling teenage girls that their voices didn’t matter was causing distress and contributing to suicidal ideation.
    "How are we supposed to get our girls used to the fact that biological boys are in their locker rooms? And then we wonder why a third of our teenage girls seriously contemplated suicide last year. We should be growing strong girls, confident girls."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/nikki-haley-suggests-transgender-kids-cause-suicidal-ideation-teenage-rcna87708

Attacking a minority in this way is hateful, imagine I said the same about Jews.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

No?

No.

But at least it will provide a day or two of Trump fearfully focusing on Haley to remind the NH poll respondents to return to loyalty.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,771

TimS said:

I'm the nicest I am in the whole year at Christmas. I give tips and donations to people and charities galore.

It always feels good and it's sort of what Christmas is about, in my view.

I should probably do more of it the rest of the year.
    Funny isn’t it? Costs nothing, but we generally pull back from airy cheerfulness with the general public most of the year. Even the patronising Capon butcher had a twinkle in his eye today.
    The tragedy of the human condition.

We know what is good for body and soul. We get just enough hints of it in normal life. Moments like Christmas give us stronger pointers. So did COVID Round One, I reckon.

And we still find it so hard to do.
    If we could all get it right all of the time then we would all be Buddhas.
  • Options

boulay said:

Hateful woman.
    She didn't actually say that. She said that "women being told their voices don’t matter" is a factor.

What do you think is driving this?

Social media plays a major role

• Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic, probably not but it's certainly possible there could be an upset.

Fact remains though that unless *any* of the non-Trump candidates can (1) beat the rest of them off quickly, (2) consolidate the anti-Trump vote, and (3) swing at least a quarter of the Trump vote to them and/or bring in new voters to them, Trump wins at a canter.

And how do any of them do that without going after Trump, and rejecting his framing of the election? They can't - yet they're not.

If Hayley wins in New Hampshire (and it's a big if), then I think she will rapidly consolidate the non-Trump vote. She should certainly pick up the vast bulk of Christie's support, for example.

The interesting question then is whether Trump will debate her. Because ducking out from debating the Four Dwarves is one thing, ducking out from someone who has just beat you in a primary is another.
    Doubt just calling her 'birdbrain' will work
    either.
    If she’s so thick why did he appoint her ambassador to the UN?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,131

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Out of Biden, Trump and Haley, which one is most likely to get involved in a major war?

This is emerging as the biggest thing to cling to if Trump does somehow get himself back into the oval office. He might not trigger WW3.
    His opposition to liberal imperial wars was one of the main parts of his platform from the beginning.

Yet he ramped up military spending and had a crush on generals. Something's not quite scanning.
    It used to be that the US political joke went -

“The Republicans want a huge military and send it nowhere. The Democrats want a small military and send it everywhere.”
    * Gulf War 1990-1991. Potus 41, Bush 1
    * Afghanistan War 2001–2021. Potus 43,44,45,46, Bush 2, Obama, Trump, Biden
    * Iraq War 2003-2011. Potus 43,44, Bush 2, Obama
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,549
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

He likes the theatre of the military, as it inflated his sense of self-importance - hence the desire for a military parade, and the bragging about "literally invisible" stealth jets.

But Trump's motivations are all about self-aggrandisement and self-enrichment. There was a time, some centuries ago now, when that would have indicated the launching of wars. But, despite accusations to the contrary, the motivation for recent wars hasn't been enrichment. It's been perceived principle, even if that principle is finishing the job that Daddy started.

Trump is too much of a coward to risk a war. You can say that's a good thing when it avoids another Iraq or Afghanistan, but if it leads to democracies like Taiwan or Ukraine being abandoned then, not so much.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Fact remains though that unless *any* of the non-Trump candidates can (1) beat the rest of them off quickly, (2) consolidate the anti-Trump vote, and (3) swing at least a quarter of the Trump vote to them and/or bring in new voters to them, Trump wins at a canter.

And how do any of them do that without going after Trump, and rejecting his framing of the election? They can't - yet they're not.

If Hayley wins in New Hampshire (and it's a big if), then I think she will rapidly consolidate the non-Trump vote. She should certainly pick up the vast bulk of Christie's support, for example.

The interesting question then is whether Trump will debate her. Because ducking out from debating the Four Dwarves is one thing, ducking out from someone who has just beat you in a primary is another.
    either.
    He doesn't want to open the door to that question - since a large number of his former Cabinet say he is unfit to be President he has attacked most of them as useless idiots at one time or another, despite praising their abilities fulsomely when they still worked for him.

It should honestly be more telling for GOP voters that so many people who loyally served Trump day in day out for years cannot stand him, and think he's a fool or otherwise unfit for office.

Of course, the majority are still planning to vote for him, so it doesn't mean that much.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

He likes the theatre of the military, as it inflated his sense of self-importance - hence the desire for a military parade, and the bragging about "literally invisible" stealth jets.

But Trump's motivations are all about self-aggrandisement and self-enrichment. There was a time, some centuries ago now, when that would have indicated the launching of wars. But, despite accusations to the contrary, the motivation for recent wars hasn't been enrichment. It's been perceived principle, even if that principle is finishing the job that Daddy started.

Trump is too much of a coward to risk a war. You can say that's a good thing when it avoids another Iraq or Afghanistan, but if it leads to democracies like Taiwan or Ukraine being abandoned then, not so much.
    Quite so. It's a similar issue, tackled from a diferent direction, when people make the calculation 'War is bad and peace is good, therefore we need to urge peace now, no matter what that takes', even if that would come at a very high cost. As though there are no things worth fighting for.
  • Options

boulay said:

Hateful woman.
    She didn't actually say that. She said that "women being told their voices don’t matter" is a factor.

Yes. My stepdaughter was recently dumped by her boyfriend and is understandably very upset. But social media is making it much harder for her to move on. Every time she looks at her phone, there are reminders of their time together and hints of what he's up to now. The interconnected nature of today's youth makes a clean break almost impossible.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Logged out this morning and @ydoethur was engaging in puns about bishops. Log back in this evening and, yep, Ydoethur is engaging in puns, this time about deer.

Time to rein it in.

What we need are puns combining the two.

How about, the pool of bishops never changes, it's stagnant?
    I mitre been crozier if you’d suggested culling the fallow
  • Options

Looking very good for Haley. Time for a new generation. Trump won't be the GOP candidate.

Go Nikki!
    To be honest, I don’t like the prospect of ANY of the Republican candidates. Trump’s the worst of them though!
    Biden is past his mediocre prime and Harris is dreadful though. Who would you rather?
  • Options
    @MattW thanks again for the knife tips

I bought my nephew an Opinel knife

https://www.opinel.com/en/tradition/luxe/n8-black-oak

Will my sister wonder why I've bought both the men in her life knives?
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,980
    viewcode said:

https://twitter.com/sandrabo2015/status/1738390210046562658

How is this fake news allowed to circulate? Does Twitter not do context anymore?

So what context would you add?
    I've just had a look at the thread. The debate is whether the woman is 16yr old person X or 21yr old person Y and whether she was killed by Hamas or the IDF. I have no idea what is the truth and will not speculate (remember my self-denying ordinance on this) but I can say that when AI can produce many exact images and bots can reproduce many exact people (very close now if Leon is right) then things like this will devolve from difficult to nightmarish. How will we cope when threads are entirely fictional and indistinguishable from real ones?
    A few weeks ago I wrote code for two Discord bots who were supposed to argue and 'have drama' in a soap opera sense to keep people entertained. But they were both so guard-railed that the arguments went along the lines of :

"Oh! I am so sorry for causing offence!"
    "I am sorry for making you sorry about causing offence!"
    "Now I am sorry for making you sorry about ..........."

I've disabled them now.
  • Options

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Yes. My stepdaughter was recently dumped by her boyfriend and is understandably very upset. But social media is making it much harder for her to move on. Every time she looks at her phone, there are reminders of their time together and hints of what he's up to now. The interconnected nature of today's youth makes a clean break almost impossible.
    Excellent post.
  • Options

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

The I-phone Memories feature as a default that is hard to remove or manage is bonkers. Completely unsuitable for those dating outside of long term relationships, or indeed those recently ending a long term relationship.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Die Hard is a Christmas film.

So are Gremlins, The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe, and Eyes Wide Shut.
    The Lion is a Easter story… the whole point is that it’s never Christmas…
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,032
    Taiwan reports Chinese warplanes and warships around the island, including aircraft crossing the sensitive median line of the Taiwan Strait.
    https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1738650807107469818
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,980
    edited December 2023

Get your knife ogling to https://blenheimforge.co.uk/ . Way out of my range (though a friend bought me one hence I know about them) - but boy are they pretty.

Edit: I should add they the one I have is also fab to use - sharp as feck and perfectly balanced. And pretty...
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

How is this fake news allowed to circulate? Does Twitter not do context anymore?

I've just had a look at the thread. The debate is whether the woman is 16yr old person X or 21yr old person Y and whether she was killed by Hamas or the IDF. I have no idea what is the truth and will not speculate (remember my self-denying ordinance on this) but I can say that when AI can produce many exact images and bots can reproduce many exact people (very close now if Leon is right) then things like this will devolve from difficult to nightmarish. How will we cope when threads are entirely fictional and indistinguishable from real ones?
    A few weeks ago I wrote code for two Discord bots who were supposed to argue and 'have drama' in a soap opera sense to keep people entertained. But they were both so guard-railed that the arguments went along the lines of :

I've disabled them now.
    Two Canadians having an argument.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Taiwan reports Chinese warplanes and warships around the island, including aircraft crossing the sensitive median line of the Taiwan Strait.
    https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1738650807107469818

Sounds like this could be a bigger crisis than average?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I've just had a look at the thread. The debate is whether the woman is 16yr old person X or 21yr old person Y and whether she was killed by Hamas or the IDF. I have no idea what is the truth and will not speculate (remember my self-denying ordinance on this) but I can say that when AI can produce many exact images and bots can reproduce many exact people (very close now if Leon is right) then things like this will devolve from difficult to nightmarish. How will we cope when threads are entirely fictional and
    indistinguishable from real ones?
    I agree. I was just commenting on @AverageNinja absolute certainty. It’s very reminiscent of someone

• Options

No, she doesn’t.

And again, (a) that’s not what she said - it’s how activists have misrepresented her; and (b) doing something hateful doesn’t actually mean you hate someone
  • Options

boulay said:

Hateful woman.
    That’s not what she said

"How are we supposed to get our girls used to the fact that biological boys are in their locker rooms? And then we wonder why a third of our teenage girls seriously contemplated suicide last year. We should be growing strong girls, confident girls."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/nikki-haley-suggests-transgender-kids-cause-suicidal-ideation-teenage-rcna87708

Attacking a minority in this way is hateful, imagine I said the same about Jews.
    You’re the guy who believes in context right?

Do you think the next paragraph in that article would be relevant?

"We have to grow strong girls, and that is being threatened right now," she said. "Whether it’s biological boys going into girls’ locker rooms or playing in girls’ sports, women are being told their voices don’t matter. If you think this kind of aggressive bullying isn’t part of the problem, you’re not paying attention."
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057

Ghedebrav said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12884725/Its-beginning-look-lot-like-Easter-Puzzled-shoppers-Mini-Eggs-Creme-Eggs-shelves-B-M-stores-Christmas.html
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,481

Ghedebrav said:

It's always winter and never Christmas, thanks to the White Witch.
  • Options
    I bought my first and only non cooking knife when I was six years old

I saved up, I think, five Marks and fifty Pfennigs to buy the smallest Swiss Army penknife from the NAAFI in Rheindahlen

I told the lady selling the knives that my Mummy had said it was OK. She believed me, but Mummy confiscated it before the end of the day

I got it back before I went to boarding school, where I had the smallest knife

I don't know how I haven't lost it, those are still the original tweezers and toothpick

• Options

boulay said:

Hateful woman.
    That’s not what she said

You’re the guy who believes in context right?

Do you think the next paragraph in that article would be relevant?

"We have to grow strong girls, and that is being threatened right now," she said. "Whether it’s biological boys going into girls’ locker rooms or playing in girls’ sports, women are being told their voices don’t matter. If you think this kind of aggressive bullying isn’t part of the problem, you’re not paying attention."
    How much attention was she paying when she tried to take away their bodily autonomy by denying them the right to an abortion? How much attention was she paying to women when she opposed any kind of gun control despite the massacres in their classrooms?

She is right women have to be listened to but first she needs to listen.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

The winter setting is just decoration. The theme is about Aslan’s death and return to life plus his forgiveness of Edmund
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12884725/Its-beginning-look-lot-like-Easter-Puzzled-shoppers-Mini-Eggs-Creme-Eggs-shelves-B-M-stores-Christmas.html
    Last year in the week between Christmas and New Year our local Co-op had already started stocking hot cross buns.
  • Options
    What a f***ing knob. Weren't some people fluffing him as a future leader?

https://x.com/Elemjay1/status/1738656360265396395?s=20
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

The winter setting is just decoration. The theme is about Aslan’s death and return to life plus his forgiveness of Edmund
    The theme for me was how you had to be willing to sacrifice everything to overcome evil. Clearly it was very heavily influenced by the Christian resurrection but the cold of evil was also physically manifest in the world, something that tapped into older myths and legends where the breaking of winter and the coming of Spring was a manifestation of new life and rebirth.
  • Options
    Reform UK to challenge Tories in every seat at general election
    Nigel Farage’s fringe party pledges threatens to split the vote in election battlegrounds — and boost the chances of a Starmer victory

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/reform-uk-richard-tice-tories-general-election-bfknlhk6b (£££)

I still doubt they'll have the people or the money.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

The theme for me was how you had to be willing to sacrifice everything to overcome evil. Clearly it was very heavily influenced by the Christian resurrection but the cold of evil was also physically manifest in the world, something that tapped into older myths and legends where the breaking of winter and the coming of Spring was a manifestation of new life and rebirth.
    Maybe it was about his going to boarding school? No doubt miserably cold in winter. And he was not taken with the, erm, unsound* moral tone there.

Edit: by then-contemporary standards.
  • Options

F****** hell, what the hell does it take to appoint a Home Secretary that is something close to normal? The idea that this is in any way humorous is sick. Just sick (and not the meaning that my kids might give to that word but the traditional sense). Ugh.
  • Options

Oh his career is so fucked...
  • Options

I saved up, I think, five Marks and fifty Pfennigs to buy the smallest Swiss Army penknife from the NAAFI in Rheindahlen

I told the lady selling the knives that my Mummy had said it was OK. She believed me, but Mummy confiscated it before the end of the day

I don't know how I haven't lost it, those are still the original tweezers and toothpick

Have same model on MY key chain. Believe exactly so, including logo, had it for at least thirty years.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,369
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

F****** hell, what the hell does it take to appoint a Home Secretary that is something close to normal? The idea that this is in any way humorous is sick. Just sick (and not the meaning that my kids might give to that word but the traditional sense). Ugh.
    I’m assuming drink was taken (though it’s not the slightest defence).
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

viewcode said:

I've disabled them now.
    Two Canadians having an argument.
    Bit too heated for that, eh?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Nope, almost the reverse if in vino veritas. Is this what the Home Secretary really thinks?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Cleverly definitely does like a joke now and then, but leaving aside it was not a good joke anyway (since someone, somewhere, might find it funny, taste being what it is), it's an incredibly unwise joke for a senior politician to make, and surprising he would be so foolish to open up an argument about whether he was defending drugging people or just joking about doing so.

And yes, people were fluffing him as a future leader, but that was in part on the basis he hadn't been putting his foot in his mouth lately.
    viewcode said:

Nah. They cannot even find an MP to fill a Great Office of State, they aren't getting rid of others if they can help it. They'll just ask him to keep his trap shut in future and not try to be funny.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

DavidL said:

Ooof.

If he meant it, horrific values. If he didn't, horrific judgement.

If it's an attempted joke, still horrific judgement.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,562

Looking very good for Haley. Time for a new generation. Trump won't be the GOP candidate.

Go Nikki!
    To be honest, I don’t like the prospect of ANY of the Republican candidates. Trump’s the worst of them though!
    Biden is past his mediocre prime and Harris is dreadful though. Who would you rather?
    Neither of them are actively malevolent, supremely erratic or sociopathic. Both are at least moderately interested in policy rather than only in their own personal interest and ego. So on the whole I'd prefer the Democrats, despite their poor policies.

I agree it's a terrible choice though.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Unlike him. If his wife doesn't leave him for this he is a very lucky man.
  • Options

Have same model on MY key chain. Believe exactly so, including logo, had it for at least thirty years.
    And what are horses with a stone in their shoe supposed to do? :smile:
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Bullying used to end at the school gate, or at worst when you got home. Now it's 24 hours a day...
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

A winter setting as decoration is used as definitive proof of something being about Christmas in certain other entertainment products, so on the same basis The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe would qualify, despite not really fitting thematically.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Nigel Farage’s fringe party pledges threatens to split the vote in election battlegrounds — and boost the chances of a Starmer victory

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/reform-uk-richard-tice-tories-general-election-bfknlhk6b (£££)

That's likely to be a problem for Mr Anderson, if true.

But Mr Zadzrozny may have been Trumped by then (clunk-clink every slip), so I still can't call anything.
  • Options

That may be so, but a) they don't need to stand in every seat to almost certainly turn a bad night for the Tories into a disastrous one, and b) the claim alone keeps up a bit of momentum for Reform which doesn't really have anything else with which to get attention, and c) if they stand in, say, half of the seats, it's not like Farage or anyone else will face any negative impact for not having met their early boasts.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195

kinabalu said:

I love the way you slipped "liberal" in there.

Remind me of who was President when the US invaded Iraq?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Ghedebrav said:

Maybe it was about his going to boarding school? No doubt miserably cold in winter. And he was not taken with the, erm, unsound* moral tone there.

Edit: by then-contemporary standards.
    The boarding school experience is certainly reflected in the Pevensie children who have that independence and self confidence that children sent away from their parents have to affect. But I think Lewis was playing with multiple themes, he was a very clever man.
  • Options

Die Hard is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.

Just saying.

Really getting into the Christmas spirit now then :)
    As it happens I have a thing called a "Gruber Assist" on my bicycle. It doesn't throw you out of windows.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

Last year in the week between Christmas and New Year our local Co-op had already started stocking hot cross buns.
    This is the modern distribution system. My wife works at the Co-Op in the village (who are by the way a fecking excellent employer, community mainstay and definitely worth supporting) and they already have shelves filled with Easter eggs in the back stores.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

It's teetotalers that cause all the problems.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cleverly definitely does like a joke now and then, but leaving aside it was not a good joke anyway (since someone, somewhere, might find it funny, taste being what it is), it's an incredibly unwise joke for a senior politician to make, and surprising he would be so foolish to open up an argument about whether he was defending drugging people or just joking about doing so.

And yes, people were fluffing him as a future leader, but that was in part on the basis he hadn't been putting his foot in his mouth lately.
    viewcode said:

Nah. They cannot even find an MP to fill a Great Office of State, they aren't getting rid of others if they can help it. They'll just ask him to keep his trap shut in future and not try to be funny.
    I have to say I would have thought that in normal times (as opposed to the fag end of a failed administration) a 'joke' like this would and should be enough to get any Home Secretary sacked.
  • Options
    Personally I like a deliberately offensive, dark joke at times. In the right moment they can be very effective. And I think most people agree politicians tend to play it safe with their personailities, clamping down on anything even slightly unpolished to the point they come across like automatons. Many are, surprisingly, personable and funny people in real life.

But you have to be sensible and realistic about this stuff, and if you are someone who likes dead baby jokes for example, don't continue to make them when you're health secretary or whatever, or you're just being an idiot.
  • Options

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

I have to say I would have thought that in normal times (as opposed to the fag end of a failed administration) a 'joke' like this would and should be enough to get any Home Secretary sacked.
    In a stronger situation, probably. Timing may help, something else may have popped up by the end of the holiday period.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Die Hard is on Channel 4 tonight at 9pm.

Just saying.

Really getting into the Christmas spirit now then :)
    As it happens I have a thing called a "Gruber Assist" on my bicycle. It doesn't throw you out of windows.
    It counts to three gears. There will not be a four.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Theresa May back as Home Secretary, why not. She at least lasted for some time, and they may as well go whole hog on trying to emphasise a more Cameroonite vibe.

Scratch that, bring back Boris and Truss into the Cabinet as well, might as well make this the most PM heavy Cabinet in history.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If I remember correctly, SeanT one sang the virtues of Rohypnol on here: albeit self consumption to make long airline flights fly by.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

If I remember correctly, SeanT one sang the virtues of Rohypnol on here: albeit self consumption to make long airline flights fly by.
    I confess to being ignorant what it's legitimate purpose is even supposed to be - that is, how people get hold of it in the first place.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

either.
    He's thicker?
  • Options
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

Ooof.

It'll be like shitholegate. We misheard.

He was promoting the wonderfulness of Rose Hip Oil or something like that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

I confess to being ignorant what it's legitimate purpose is even supposed to be - that is, how people get hold of it in the first place.
    It was commonly used for treating kids with ADHD or similar conditions but I am not sure if that is still the case. I assume it is only available on prescription.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Ghedebrav said:

This is the modern distribution system. My wife works at the Co-Op in the village (who are by the way a fecking excellent employer, community mainstay and definitely worth supporting) and they already have shelves filled with Easter eggs in the back stores.
    Ours, sadly, is now an Asda Express, sort of like a Tesco Direct, the Co-Op having sold it a few months ago. I miss the Co-Op I must say.
  • Options
    Fun fact, Cleverly has had three Cabinet posts yet has been in Cabinet less than 18 months. That may end up being one superspeeded senior career.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

I rephrased it from 'neocon' because it was a cross-party consensus.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Theresa May back as Home Secretary, why not. She at least lasted for some time, and they may as well go whole hog on trying to emphasise a more Cameroonite vibe.

Scratch that, bring back Boris and Truss into the Cabinet as well, might as well make this the most PM heavy Cabinet in history.

May was responsible for the Windrush Scandal and the 'Go Home' vans. She shouldn't be allowed anywhere near high office again.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,883
    carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Bullying used to end at the school gate, or at worst when you got home. Now it's 24 hours a day...
    Apart from most investigations into social media by such biassed people as oxford university and the american psychological institution so far have concluded that on the whole social media if anything provides a net benefit for teens

In my day bullying started at home and was sent to school with you
  • Options

kle4 said:

May was responsible for the Windrush Scandal and the 'Go Home' vans. She shouldn't be allowed anywhere near high office again.
    Even better, since they are, paradoxically, also wanting to present as stridently anti-immigrant (even legal immigration) as they can get away with, so she sounds like the ideal choice for a PM unable to make decent choices.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

The really scary thing about it is how quickly it metabolises. Unless blood samples are taken within about 6 hours of consumption there is very little to no prospect of a trace being found. Personally, I would have possession of it on a similar level of offending to rape itself in terms of sentence.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Apart from most investigations into social media by such biassed people as oxford university and the american psychological institution so far have concluded that on the whole social media if anything provides a net benefit for teens

Is that net benefit across all teens or a presumed average teen etc? As I can easily envisage a situation where on the whole it may provide a net benefit, but for those who do suffer bullying it can absolutely aggravate in those specific instances.
  • Options

MattW said:

DavidL said:

Ooof.

It'll be like shitholegate. We misheard.

He was promoting the wonderfulness of Rose Hip Oil or something like that.
    Perhaps someone slipped something into his drink..

More drink probably.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

The really scary thing about it is how quickly it metabolises. Unless blood samples are taken within about 6 hours of consumption there is very little to no prospect of a trace being found. Personally, I would have possession of it on a similar level of offending to rape itself in terms of sentence.
    With what knock on effect....chloroform can be made out home out of common household ingredients people will just turn to that with the possible results of them getting it badly wrong and having to have police arrest people for having a clear liquid in a bottle as sniffing it to see if its chloroform is not a good idea
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Surely in some American states, it's a man's right to drug his wife
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,646
    I am all for gamey humour, but joking about roofies is not a great look for a Home Sec. Not sure how he can be replaced so soon after Braverman's sacking. Delayed promotion for Robert Jenrick?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Oxford University also produced most of our Prime Ministers, so I'm not sure the quality of its output is someone I'd get terribly excited about.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Perhaps but this is not bullying, just social media being like a shrine to your time together.
  • Options

I am all for gamey humour, but joking about roofies is not a great look for a Home Sec. Not sure how he can be replaced so soon after Braverman's sacking. Delayed promotion for Robert Jenrick?

You need someone strong and stable in that job.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Is that net benefit across all teens or a presumed average teen etc? As I can easily envisage a situation where on the whole it may provide a net benefit, but for those who do suffer bullying it can absolutely aggravate in those specific instances.
    There is a lot of evidence that it helps people with for all sorts of problems with self help groups, the sort that get bullied. LBGTQ teens, eating disorders etc. Ban social media and you basically ban the pages trying to help and leave it to the people trying to make things worse and of course studies like this are on balance.

Just like those reports that claim migration is on balance a net benefit are on balance
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Oxford University also produced most of our Prime Ministers, so I'm not sure the quality of its output is someone I'd get terribly excited about.
    Maybe not but here for example is a report from the people that initially jumped onto the video games cause violence bandwagon so you would think if there was evidence they would be jumping up and down
    https://www.apa.org/topics/social-media-internet/health-advisory-adolescent-social-media-use
  • Options
    The latest HS2 blunder adding tens of millions to bill
    When the beleaguered project was scaled back it caused another big problem that’s left the industry in dismay

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-latest-hs2-farce-adding-tens-of-millions-to-bill-pgflhvznb (£££)

Not enough train doors!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

Maybe not but here for example is a report from the people that initially jumped onto the video games cause violence bandwagon so you would think if there was evidence they would be jumping up and down
    https://www.apa.org/topics/social-media-internet/health-advisory-adolescent-social-media-use
    The point is you only hear in the press about the ones social media failed because they got bullied or instead of finding a good self help group they found one that drove them further down the rabbit hole....you don't hear about any of the thousands that get support on sexuality, body image, bullying etc
  • Options

The latest HS2 blunder adding tens of millions to bill
    When the beleaguered project was scaled back it caused another big problem that’s left the industry in dismay

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-latest-hs2-farce-adding-tens-of-millions-to-bill-pgflhvznb (£££)

Not enough train doors!

You know a project is a complete basketcase when every option, from cancelling, to expanding, to amending, will still result in a spiralling set of expensive problems.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,646

Jesus?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,802
    ohnotnow said:

Get your knife ogling to https://blenheimforge.co.uk/ . Way out of my range (though a friend bought me one hence I know about them) - but boy are they pretty.

Edit: I should add they the one I have is also fab to use - sharp as feck and perfectly balanced. And pretty...
    Tractor porn > knife porn > ?
  • Options

Jesus?
    Can you actually describe someone who willingly lets himself nailed to a tree as stable....nowadays for a start that would get him prosecuted under the extreme porn laws
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

carnforth said:

boulay said:

Hateful woman.

The point is you only hear in the press about the ones social media failed because they got bullied or instead of finding a good self help group they found one that drove them further down the rabbit hole....you don't hear about any of the thousands that get support on sexuality, body image, bullying etc
    One of the great things about social media is that it allows you to argue with yourself
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

With what knock on effect....chloroform can be made out home out of common household ingredients people will just turn to that with the possible results of them getting it badly wrong and having to have police arrest people for having a clear liquid in a bottle as sniffing it to see if its chloroform is not a good idea
    So let me get this straight. You think that people are going to want to carry drugs to knock people out so that they can rape them so it might as well be Rohypnol? By the same logic people should be allowed to carry guns because if they don't they will only stab people anyway. It is, with respect, a bizarre argument.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,032
    Good article.

The Supreme Court’s Big Trump Test Is Here

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/23/opinion/trump-supreme-court.html?unlocked_article_code=1.IE0.QqdS.bi3c32nC9899&smid=url-share
    ..For a tribunal that is supposed to sit far away from, not astride, politics, that’s a lot for the Supreme Court to handle. And this is happening at a rough moment for the court. In August 2000, on the eve of Bush v. Gore, 62 percent of Americans approved of how the Supreme Court was conducting itself. Now, recent polling shows that nearly that portion (58 percent) disapproves of the institution, a figure that scrapes historic lows for the court.

Yet the multiplicity of cases affords the justices an opportunity to avoid pinning themselves in still further if they keep an eye on how potential decisions will — collectively — shape the political landscape. The point is not that getting the underlying legal questions “right” is irrelevant. But when the stakes are this high and the legal questions are novel, the justices have a duty to hand down decisions that resonate across the political spectrum — or at least that avoid inciting violence in the streets. That’s not subverting the rule of law; it’s preserving it...

.. The court failed that test in Bush v. Gore — handing down a ruling widely perceived as Republican-appointed justices installing a Republican president via a strained (and oddly cabined) reading of the Equal Protection Clause and helping to precipitate the downturn in public opinion that figures so prominently in these cases.

As the Jan. 6 cases put the justices right in the middle of the 2024 election, the question is whether they’ll understand the imperative of not letting history repeat.

Ultimately, these contemporary disputes may not provide a perfect opportunity for the Supreme Court to right that wrong. But if one thing’s for certain, it’s that neither the court nor the country can afford another election-altering ruling that takes such obvious partisan sides.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

So let me get this straight. You think that people are going to want to carry drugs to knock people out so that they can rape them so it might as well be Rohypnol? By the same logic people should be allowed to carry guns because if they don't they will only stab people anyway. It is, with respect, a bizarre argument.
    Rohypnol has medical uses, what percentage of rohypnol is used for bad purposes...I suspect less than 5%
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Rohypnol has medical uses, what percentage of rohypnol is used for bad purposes...I suspect less than 5%
    And yes I was pointing out if you are a bad actor there are easy alternatives that you wont get arrested for. Unlike the gun knife argument where you actually have to put in the effort to get a gun.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

I rephrased it from 'neocon' because it was a cross-party consensus.
    I've rephrased this season from 'winter' to 'summer' because the sun came out for 30 seconds this morning.
This discussion has been closed.