Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Expect a lot of bishop bashing from the Tories – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 1 in General
imageExpect a lot of bishop bashing from the Tories – politicalbetting.com

Will this lead the radicalised Tories to espouse republicanism?

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    edited December 2023
    Can't see anyone getting their knickers in a twist over this. The days of us worrying about "turbulent priests" are long gone.

Oh, and first?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,267
    An interesting move from the King.

I wonder if it's a sign Welby is considering retirement in the near future? I know he's said he would go on to 70 but he's had rather a lot on his plate since his sabbatical.

Would be some fun betting opportunities on the replacement. Graham Usher would surely start as favourite but that would seriously annoy the evangelical wing of the church.
  • Options
    Also: is Leon actually Boris Johnson?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can't see anyone getting their knickers in a twist over this. The days of us worrying about "turbulent priests" are long gone.

Oh, and first?

Sensible Tories wouldn't get annoyed by this. After all, don't retired archbishops generally get a seat in the Lords anyway?

The catch is the phrase "sensible Tories". Still, we've been spared a "Fr Calvin for archbishop" campaign by GB News, so there's that small mercy.

Th other complication for the next AbOfC is that the nomination panel will be a lot more global than in the past;

https://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/news/news-and-statements/global-anglican-communion-given-voice-choice-future-archbishops-canterbury
  • Options

DavidL said:

Oh, and first?

Sensible Tories wouldn't get annoyed by this. After all, don't retired archbishops generally get a seat in the Lords anyway?

The catch is the phrase "sensible Tories". Still, we've been spared a "Fr Calvin for archbishop" campaign by GB News, so there's that small mercy.

Th other complication for the next AbOfC is that the nomination panel will be a lot more global than in the past;

https://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/news/news-and-statements/global-anglican-communion-given-voice-choice-future-archbishops-canterbury
    Calvin was asked, but apparently de Kleined.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841
    So now apparently only those who are Tory lickspittles are allowed a knighthood . The DM really is pathetic .
  • Options
    Incidentally, just to round off the Trumpjob saga from the last thread, here's a really funny story (albeit with rather tragic implications) about him, from one of the newspapers that actually supports him:

https://nypost.com/2023/12/19/news/its-me-don-post-reporter-falsely-tagged-as-judge-engorons-son-at-trumps-fraud-trial/

Literally, he and his supporters are making any shit up they can to disrupt legal processes.

(And, of course, they're doing the same with Joe and Hunter Biden.)

Such people really are dangerous.
  • Options
    The Daily Mail constantly whispers fury and betrayal into the welcoming ears of GBNews presenters, radio talkshow hosts and a certain type of Tory MP. So there’s going to be some kind of reaction. No-one with even the semblance of a properly functioning brain will care, though. All this headline really tells us is they’re saving the next Starmer defended the devil story for when the Christmas break is over!
  • Options

The Daily Mail constantly whispers fury and betrayal into the welcoming ears of GBNews presenters, radio talkshow hosts and a certain type of Tory MP. So there’s going to be some kind of reaction. No-one with even the semblance of a properly functioning brain will care, though. All this headline really tells us is they’re saving the next Starmer defended the devil story for when the Christmas break is over!

I don't think he's ever defended Johnson. Quite the contrary.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Oh, and to save everyone the trouble,

there is no evidence whatsoever that is available to the British government to suggest that alien life forms have ever existed

Though that could be because the evidence was on WhatsApp.

Could be misdirection to conceal the fact we're actually being run by Zoo#on aliens from the planet Tharg.

https://youtu.be/r0LoLdjGy9o?si=djU2TSTNZdluJVa1

Would that explain the Case?
  • Options
    Another worthless bauble dished out to a privileged and wealthy son of establishment figures. What's the point of it all?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,796
    edited December 2023

Another worthless bauble dished out to a privileged and wealthy son of establishment figures. What's the point of it all?

Also striking that a mere knighthood is seen as something worth having. If you are the Archbish Cantuar then it's not even as valuable as a Blue Peter badge. In fact even if you *aren't* Cantuar++ it's worth less than a Blue Peter badge - considerably more costly to gain (especially if you use one of those consultancies on how to gain an honour) and far less revealing of character than a Blue Peter badge gained in early life.

PS In precedence, AIUI, the Archbish ranks much, much higher than a mere Kt. So he'd be accepting demotion. Rather like a former Colonel acting as Corporal in the Local Defence Volunteers.

• Options
    Incidentally, I'm not sure but does anyone get the feeling there's an attempt at a subtle pun in the headline?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,002
    edited December 2023

The Mail must have gone into overdrive when that well-known lefty lawyer Starmer retired as DPP, and was, as usual, knighted.

Although, of course, TFS3 is quite right!

Mis typed & corrected.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Incidentally, I'm not sure but does anyone get the feeling there's an attempt at a subtle pun in the headline?

Not at all. It's just your dirty mind - TSE would never dare to perpetrate anything so obscene, being the clean-living site controller that he is.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    TSE has this entirely wrong. Look at the first batch of comments below. That's where the bile is coming from.

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    DavidL said:

Oh, and first?

It's another opportunity for Sunak to lose core Conservative voters after cancelling HS2, proposing a motorway through the Home Counties, not stopping the boats and chopping down that sycamore in Northumberland.

So he's likely to do it.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,226
    edited December 2023
    The Mail, like most of the right wing press, and increasingly the right wing across the board, is declining into bitter irrelevance.
    It is slightly ironic to watch those who claim to be conservative coming out with ever more radical, even revolutionary, sentiments. After so many years of a bull in a china shop, the country craves responsible competence. The fulmination of the radical right merely underlines how far they now are from the mainstream
    So, congratulations to His Grace, and confusion to his enemies.
  • Options

TSE has this entirely wrong. Look at the first batch of comments below. That's where the bile is coming from.

I'm a bit taken aback at that slur on @DavidL , @OnlyLivingBoy @rcs1000 and my good self.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Not at all. It's just your dirty mind - TSE would never dare to perpetrate anything so obscene, being the clean-living site controller that he is.
    Well, I mitre misunderstood.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    ydoethur said:

I wonder if it's a sign Welby is considering retirement in the near future? I know he's said he would go on to 70 but he's had rather a lot on his plate since his sabbatical.

Would be some fun betting opportunities on the replacement. Graham Usher would surely start as favourite but that would seriously annoy the evangelical wing of the church.

Just about anyone would be better than Welby
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

I suppose, admittedly, that punning at an ungodly hour of the morning is canonical for PB.
  • Options

The Mail must have gone into overdrive when that well-known lefty lawyer Starmer retired as DPP, and was, as usual, knighted.

Mis typed & corrected.

Well, it is the run-up to Christmas. Baubles is topical.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

I suppose, admittedly, that punning at an ungodly hour of the morning is canonical for PB.
    Just trying to rectorfy the omission.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Will his successor be a Buddhist homeopath?
  • Options
    EPG said:

Will his successor be a Buddhist homeopath?

Water suggestion.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

The problem with a pun addiction- it's very hard to cure it.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

And then people end up incensed.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Mis typed & corrected.
    If we had signatures on PB, 'Mis-typed & corrected' would be in mine. I seem to do it more times than not.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

No one can hold a candle to you, Dr. Pun.

It gets on my wick how fast you are but for today I shall simply wax lyrical about your word-smithing.
  • Options
    The latest headlines on Michelle Mone this morning may be making many Conservatives sweat,

I hear on the grapevine that there is a lot more to come out concerning several others in the network of a leading lately ennobled Baroness, including serving MPs, and that Michelle Mone may be only the most egregious example of flagrant and likely illegal profiteering by Tories during the pandemic.

The ennui, even despair, of the Tory Party at this point may not just be the normal swing of politics, but that there is actually so much more to emerge.

It may be safer for Sunak NOT to hang on, and take the shellacking now, because if this starts coming out before the election, then the Tories really could be facing an ELE.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,638

I'm utterly confused. Can you point out this bile in the first few posts. I can't see anything.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

It gets on my wick how fast you are but for today I shall simply wax lyrical about your word-smithing.
    These ecclesiastical puns are definitely getting a bit much, perhaps we should altar the subject.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

These ecclesiastical puns are definitely getting a bit much, perhaps we should altar the subject.
    Aisle stop if you do.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Aisle stop if you do.
    Good, because this is getting positively pew nitive.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

The latest headlines on Michelle Mone this morning may be making many Conservatives sweat,

I hear on the grapevine that there is a lot more to come out concerning several others in the network of a leading lately ennobled Baroness, including serving MPs, and that Michelle Mone may be only the most egregious example of flagrant and likely illegal profiteering by Tories during the pandemic.

The ennui, even despair, of the Tory Party at this point may not just be the normal swing of politics, but that there is actually so much more to emerge.

It may be safer for Sunak NOT to hang on, and take the shellacking now, because if this starts coming out before the election, then the Tories really could be facing an ELE.

Quite startling that even the DM has decided that she's not after all the shining light of modern Toryism and Unionism. Mind, they still get to print as many photos of underdressed ladies as before, so it's all good for them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12895233/How-lying-Baroness-Bra-used-attack-dog-lawyers-try-silence-free-Press-deceit-prove-downfall.html

• Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Aisle stop if you do.
    I saw what you did there - You nave sir!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Aisle stop if you do.
    I saw what you did there - You nave sir!
    If we've got to knaves, can we Jack it in?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

There does seem to be a large surplice this morning.
  • Options
    Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has been seen at King's Cross railway station purchasing seasonal treats, which were reportedly for key workers.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1738225381361258873
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

I'm hoping it will now choir tone down.
  • Options

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak has been seen at King's Cross railway station purchasing seasonal treats, which were reportedly for key workers.

He'd have been giving them a better present by changing his mind on HS2.
  • Options

Rishi should have walked across to St Pancras which has Fortnum & Mason inter alia. Mind you, it's been rammed this week.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Or else we won´t be able to cope? But surely it will soon pall?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Or else we won´t be able to cope? But surely it will soon pall?
    Oi! You've stolen one of my options.
  • Options
    Dickens, with orgies: why Eyes Wide Shut is the ultimate adults-only Christmas film
    Stanley Kubrick’s chilly psychodrama – an erotic, dream-like Christmas Carol – is fast becoming part of the festive canon. Quite right too

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/eyes-wide-shut-christmas-kubrick-tom-cruise-nicole-kidman/ (£££)

Or if you prefer more traditional Yuletide films, Die Hard is on Channel 4 tonight, while SkyMax has The Unofficial Science of Die Hard.
  • Options
    Taking it back to politics, it does seem likely that the next Parliament will be significantly de-conned.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

there is no evidence whatsoever that is available to the British government to suggest that alien life forms have ever existed

So it's Aliens who are responsible for the disappearing messages - makes sense..
  • Options

Dickens, with orgies: why Eyes Wide Shut is the ultimate adults-only Christmas film
    Stanley Kubrick’s chilly psychodrama – an erotic, dream-like Christmas Carol – is fast becoming part of the festive canon. Quite right too

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/eyes-wide-shut-christmas-kubrick-tom-cruise-nicole-kidman/ (£££)

Or if you prefer more traditional Yuletide films, Die Hard is on Channel 4 tonight, while SkyMax has The Unofficial Science of Die Hard.

Incoming from @TSE in 3...2...1...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,863
    Morning all :)

Before I tackle the final part of the Christmas shopping odyssey, the final two polls (presumably) of 2023 from Techne and We Think warrant a mention.

Techne has a 20-point Labour lead (43-23) having started the year with a 21-point Labour advantage (46-25) so not much movement in 12 months (both the LDs and Reform up slightly as the two larger parties have drifted back).

We Think ends the year with a 14-point Labour lead (41-27) and its lowest Labour vote share since November 2021 which may be an outlier but there's plenty of evidence Labour has slipped back from the mid-40s to the low-40s in the past few weeks with that loss being widely spread to other parties. Compared with the first Omnisis of 2023, Labour are down eight with the LDs up two and Reform up five and the Conservatives unchanged.

In terms of the Lab/LD/Green vs Con/Ref split (a shade false as we know barely a third of Reform voters would support the Conservatives in the absence of a Reform candidate) Techne has 61-33 and We Think 59-36 so not a massive difference - the Dec 2019 equivalent was 48-47 so the swing ranging from 11.5-14% at this stage.

Prediction for 2024 - more polls, lots more polls....
  • Options

Rishi clearly doesn't know how many key workers there are in this country!

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Cicero said:

"Stop The Boat"

https://pressgazette.co.uk/media_law/the-new-european-michelle-mone-suing/
  • Options
    On-topic for Stinking Bishop

Hard cheese: Canada rejects British attempt to secure tariff-free exports
    Many UK cheese makers could face 245% duty from 1 January, making exporting unaffordable

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/23/hard-cheese-canada-rejects-british-attempt-to-secure-tariff-free-exports

Blessed are the cheesemakers.
  • Options
    I think the King should knight the baby-eating Bishop of Bath & Wells.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    eek said:

So it's Aliens who are responsible for the disappearing messages - makes sense..
    Woke Trans Illegal Alien AIs. Who also stole @Leon
  • Options

eek said:

Good old @Leon. We need him back. There are too many stuck-up Puritan self-righteous worthies on here. What we need is a drugged up flint knapping specialist dating hot young women.
  • Options

Many UK cheese makers could face 245% duty from 1 January, making exporting unaffordable

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/23/hard-cheese-canada-rejects-british-attempt-to-secure-tariff-free-exports

Trudeau is usually quite happy letting anyone in so I wonder what happened with the cheese makers
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cicero said:

"Stop The Boat"

https://pressgazette.co.uk/media_law/the-new-european-michelle-mone-suing/
    The New European is still going?
  • Options

Rishi clearly doesn't know how many key workers there are in this country!

Was he using one of the self-service check out tills? That would have been a sight .
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,642
    The drift in polling towards tier-2 parties reminds me of 2009/10. I don’t remember anything similar in 1997: the Lib Dems made gains in the election but lost share, and the referendum party barely registered.

So it’s not an inevitable feature of change elections. I wonder if it’s more a feature of the conditions at the end of 2022 that made the public unusually focused on the two main parties: the top issues were the economy, inflation and Ukraine. All tending to focus the mind on the likely two options for government.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

eek said:

Good old @Leon. We need him back. There are too many stuck-up Puritan self-righteous worthies on here. What we need is a drugged up flint knapping specialist dating hot young women.
    I'll correct that for you:

"What we need is a drugged up flint knapping specialist paying hot young women."
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,627
    Good morning. I have to say that I am disappointed that nobody has managed to incorporate transubstantiation into a religion based pun.

• Options
    I've just had some advice to retrain as a computer engineer by somebody who was listening to my practice for tomorrow.

Apparently my Bach is worse than my byte.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Good morning. I have to say that I am disappointed that nobody has managed to incorporate transubstantiation into a religion based pun.

Stop wining about it.

And have a good morning.
  • Options

My eldest daughter loved the word antidisestablishmentarianism, when she was small.
  • Options

Trudeau is usually quite happy letting anyone in so I wonder what happened with the cheese makers
    Jesus said, “Blessed are the cheesemakers, because they will be called sons of God” (Matt. 5:9).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    ydoethur said:

I've just had some advice to retrain as a computer engineer by somebody who was listening to my practice for tomorrow.

Apparently my Bach is worse than my byte.

• Options

My eldest daughter loved the word antidisestablishmentarianism, when she was small.
    Didn't we all?
  • Options

Didn't we all?
    I did - but I had a slightly unusual upbringing. Way too much Plato & Socrates at a young age, for instance.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,863
    TimS said:

The drift in polling towards tier-2 parties reminds me of 2009/10. I don’t remember anything similar in 1997: the Lib Dems made gains in the election but lost share, and the referendum party barely registered.

So it’s not an inevitable feature of change elections. I wonder if it’s more a feature of the conditions at the end of 2022 that made the public unusually focused on the two main parties: the top issues were the economy, inflation and Ukraine. All tending to focus the mind on the likely two options for government.

I'm loath to try to pattern match with past by-elections (the same is true of weather charts by the way). Each election is a unique set of circumstances. The big news from 2023 is not how much has changed but how little. Labour remains well ahead with leads of around 15 points (though that varies) though it's clear, and I imagine primarily because of the stance on Gaza, the Labour VI has slipped back towards the low 40s from the mid-40s.

The Conservatives remain becalmed in the mid-20s - every time there's a little local difficulty, they slip a bit but when it's business as usual, they pull back so my advice to Sunak would be to say nothing and do nothing.

The LDs are now in double figures - basically 10-12% with Reform just under 10% though we've yet to see the latter vote tested at a parliamentary or even local by-election and what evidence we do have is the vote is a chimera.

There's a sense of minds made up, I think, and where we've seen Conservative mid-term troughs before they've usually turned by now. There's no underestimating the mountain Labour still has to climb to win a majority and the evidence of the local elections is there will be areas where the Conservative vote proves more resilient and others where it will collapse.

I'm also still to see any coherent reason for voting Conservative - there seems no thinking as to what the Conservative Government of 2024-29 would look like or do or try to achieve. On that basis alone, there's a sense of marking time until the election is called and the exercise then becomes damage limitation or sauve qui peut if you prefer.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Carnyx said:

Cicero said:

Quite startling that even the DM has decided that she's not after all the shining light of modern Toryism and Unionism. Mind, they still get to print as many photos of underdressed ladies as before, so it's all good for them.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12895233/How-lying-Baroness-Bra-used-attack-dog-lawyers-try-silence-free-Press-deceit-prove-downfall.html

..........You've missed one....

https://www.mansionglobal.com/articles/lingerie-tycoon-british-politician-selling-15-million-french-riviera-estate-68048
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Stop wining about it.

And have a good morning.
    Would it not be simpler to change the topic into something else, Shirley?
  • Options

Didn't we all?
    I did - but I had a slightly unusual upbringing. Way too much Plato & Socrates at a young age, for instance.
    Nothing wrong with that. Hope you had some time for Euripides and Sophocles
  • Options

Jesus said, “Blessed are the cheesemakers, because they will be called sons of God” (Matt. 5:9).
    Amen
  • Options

Didn't we all?
    I remember Socrates fondly from the 82 World Cup, but who did Plato play for?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416
    Off topic, but betting.

Horse Racing tips unleashed from the PB Restroom 🐎

ASCOT - 1.50 Cap Du Mathan
    ASCOT - 2.25 Red Risk
    ASCOT - 3.00 Blackjack Magic
    ASCOT - 3.35 Hansard

Enjoy your holidays 🥰
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Didn't we all?
    Greece - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Philosophers'_Football_Match

Edit: not very memorable contribution, though.
  • Options

It's a complaint with substance, and an unfortunate accident on our part.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

eek said:

If you’re not a hot young woman, what’s in it for you ?

And if you are, what’s in it for you ?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,993

got to keep reminding the great unwashed of their superiority
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,408
    edited December 2023
    Rory on the problem with British politics in 35 seconds
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/5SWjEspsvDM

ETA spoiler: if targets are pie in the sky, there is no point striving to meet them.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    Via twitter, for context:

"Archbishop Lang was created a GCVO after the 1937 coronation and Archbishop Fisher was made one after the 1953 coronation.

Archbishop Temple received the higher ranking Royal Victorian Chain for the 1902 coronation."

So perhaps it's just tradition, not some grand statement.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

On topic, sort of as it’s in the header. “Do Aliens exist - here’s everything I know as a former PM.”

I’ve read this, now my mums put the paper down, and do I trust what he is saying or is he just making it up, or wouldn’t this be covered by some sort of official secrets act ongoing after office?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,818

Didn't we all?
    Nothing wrong with that. Hope you had some time for Euripides and Sophocles
    Euripedes trousers, you pay for them.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

On topic, sort of as it’s in the header. “Do Aliens exist - here’s everything I know as a former PM.”

I’ve read this, now my mums put the paper down, and do I trust what he is saying or is he just making it up, or wouldn’t this be covered by some sort of official secrets act ongoing after office?
    It's Boris.

Of course you can't trust what he is saying.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,818

Didn't we all?
    I don't know, but Plato was downgraded from a philosopher to a dwarf philosopher by the IAU in 2006, and therefore cannot compete because too short to reach the ball.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

"Archbishop Lang was created a GCVO after the 1937 coronation and Archbishop Fisher was made one after the 1953 coronation.

Archbishop Temple received the higher ranking Royal Victorian Chain for the 1902 coronation."

A grander statement would be not handing out worthless trinkets to entitled establishment tossers just for doing their jobs.
  • Options

Off topic, but betting.

Horse Racing tips unleashed from the PB Restroom 🐎

ASCOT - 1.50 Cap Du Mathan
    ASCOT - 2.25 Red Risk
    ASCOT - 3.00 Blackjack Magic
    ASCOT - 3.35 Hansard

Enjoy your holidays 🥰

Thanks for the like DecrepitJohn, but don’t you usually say “Red Risk 28-1 - are you a serious tipster?”

Blueking D'Oroux who has looked unstoppable over hurdles the two races I have been on it, however has never raced 3 miles in its life, whilst Botox Has beat Red Risk over the distance a few weeks ago, but only by 1l, Red Risk a battler was right there.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Didn't we all?
    I don't know, but Plato was downgraded from a philosopher to a dwarf philosopher by the IAU in 2006, and therefore cannot compete because too short to reach the ball.
    Have Plato and Sunak been seen in the same room?

Anyone who’s read The Republic begins to wonder….
  • Options
    boulay said:

Didn't we all?
    I can’t remember who she played for but she was definitely on the right wing.
    Then went way, way offside.
  • Options

carnforth said:

A grander statement would be not handing out worthless trinkets to entitled establishment tossers just for doing their jobs.
    It’s marginally better than giving them a Royal Monopoly on the Importation of Sweet Wines.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    edited December 2023

carnforth said:

To be brutally honest, I find this sort of attitude petty-minded and self-defeating. Leadership roles are hard even without the media intrusion, and public service is something worth celebrating.

I disagree with a good chunk of what Welby has said/done, especially during Covid, but think he more than deserves a a knighthood
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    carnforth said:

Sure, but it's still like awarding a Field Marshal a corporalcy of horse as an extra bonus.

On that logic, anyway, judges ought still to be wearing black squares and executing innocent people. Tradition.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Maybe it's time to look beyond the traditional base of Church of England Archbishops?

Is there not the opportunity to hire somebody who has made a real success with another religion?
    You have to maintain the balance between those who believe in God and those who do not.
    Good God!! Are you suggesting that we allow believers in God into the higher levels of the Church?! Let alone a *balance* between them and believers in vague niceness, weak tea and steam trains?

• Options

Nigelb said:

eek said:

It's Boris.

Of course you can't trust what he is saying.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12894247/Boris-Johnson-questions-asked-former-prime-minister.html

He certainly is missing the No 10 hairdresser. Not his usual neat self in the video.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

Sure, but it's still like awarding a Field Marshal a corporalcy of horse as an extra bonus.

On that logic, anyway, judges ought still to be wearing black squares and executing innocent people. Tradition.
    Indeed. Whole place has gone to Hell since Palmerston. Pshaw!
This discussion has been closed.