Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Home affairs – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,256

TimS said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.
    Pride, Prejudice and Zombies.

(Everyone else still thinking about Michelle Pfeiffer...)

Thanks for this and the other sibling suggestions. I’d say some of these are in the Godfather category: siblings feature, but they’re not the main story. Sense and sensibility is perhaps closer to a true sibling story than P&P.

Of the sitcoms Frazier probably counts.

I’d forgotten Twins.
    I'd argue that Godfather 2 is a sibling story, at least in the 1950s line (and even then other strong elements).

Rain Man worth a mention.
    Rain Man was in my initial list.
    Only fools and horses was a good addition, if having a third old man there doesn’t dilute it.

Actually I just realised - maybe this was obvious and I’m the only one who didn’t know - that Father Ted is the same premise as Only Fools, just on a different setting.
    Both of the Guardian's top 2 TV shows of 2023 - The Bear and Succession - have sibling relationships at their core. Perhaps siblings stories are having a moment? I agree it is an unexplored theme in our culture and produces some very affecting and successful drama, eg Frozen and Rain Man, two of my favourite films.
    Also, I didn't much care for Fleabag but the relationship between the main character and her sister was one of the few parts that I liked.
    A Streetcar Named Desire has the sibling relationship at its heart.
    Phil and Grant in Eastenders.
    What I can't think of is a film or series with a brother/sister relationship at its core (ie different sexes). There's Ross and Monica in friends I suppose but that's not central to the plot of the sitcom. Ritchie and Joanie in Happy Days? Again, not central to the plot.
    Beverley Hills 90210. Cruel Intentions.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,960

TimS said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

Thanks for this and the other sibling suggestions. I’d say some of these are in the Godfather category: siblings feature, but they’re not the main story. Sense and sensibility is perhaps closer to a true sibling story than P&P.

I’d forgotten Twins.
    I'd argue that Godfather 2 is a sibling story, at least in the 1950s line (and even then other strong elements).

Only fools and horses was a good addition, if having a third old man there doesn’t dilute it.

Actually I just realised - maybe this was obvious and I’m the only one who didn’t know - that Father Ted is the same premise as Only Fools, just on a different setting.
    Both of the Guardian's top 2 TV shows of 2023 - The Bear and Succession - have sibling relationships at their core. Perhaps siblings stories are having a moment? I agree it is an unexplored theme in our culture and produces some very affecting and successful drama, eg Frozen and Rain Man, two of my favourite films.
    Also, I didn't much care for Fleabag but the relationship between the main character and her sister was one of the few parts that I liked.
    What I can't think of is a film or series with a brother/sister relationship at its core (ie different sexes)...
    Already noted - Grave of the Fireflies.

A superb and disturbing film.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.
    Lion in Winter (everybody on PB is an uncultured peasant 😃)
    The Brothers McMullen (possibly also it's near-successor She's The One)
    Jack and Jill (Adam Sandler plays his own sister. It's as good as you think)

Definitely not Interstellar, where the father is consumed by his distance from his daughter and entirely forgets about his son.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Obviously, on average those who own their home outright tend to be older than those with mortgages. So we are seeing a combination of age related voting intention and the impact of higher interest rates.

One of the reasons S Korea did so well economically is that both government and industry were absolutely brutal in avoiding responsibility for seniors.

During the period of highest growth, companies just let go anyone in their fifties and upward who wasn't a high flyer.
    And there's a very strong cultural bias towards children, not the state, being responsible for the elderly.

Korea suffers OECD's highest old-age poverty rate
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.amp.asp?newsIdx=365400
    On the whole Korean children have reacted to this by not being born. It has the world's lowest birthrate.
    That’s a somewhat different problem.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.
    Great (if somewhat hammy) film. Rewatched it with my kids last year, and it still works,
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,534
    Some years ago, I recall reading of an analysis that claimed that birth rates began to decline in Europe, as nations introduced state pensions. Seemed possible, perhaps even plausible, but I didn't study the question, and can't recall having seen anything since on the question.

And, of courrse, it may be, even if true, just another example of correlation, rather than causation.
  • Options

Only five months to go until Liz Truss makes her triumphant return as PM after rejoining the Lib Dems and winning the General Election.

LD could become new favourites if Rishi and Keir spend too much time on military cosplay and less on articulating sensible policies 😊
  • Options
    I locked in a new rate of 4.88% only 6 weeks ago, so I'm just hoping HSBC apply some vaseline.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202
    Yes we do need to build more homes so more can move from renting to buying but the Conservatives won in 2019 even with most renters voting against them as home owners with a mortgage voted for them.

It was the Truss and Kwarteng budget disaster and the interest rates surge after that cost them most as it sent the majority of mortgage holders to Labour
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213
    edited December 2023
    On siblings in films, has Donnie Darko been mentioned? The dinner scene is brilliant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxvZa6OUJSI

On screen and real life siblings too.
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 943
    Carnyx said:

DougSeal said:
    'The claim followed the detonation of a 1,000kg bomb which had been dropped in 1942 during the so-called 'Baedeker raids' on British cities. It was discovered during building work in 2021 and tackled on-site by a team from the Royal Logistics Corps: an intended 'low order' explosion became high order when 630kg of high explosive went up.'
    Given both the lower court and the court of appeals agreed, the judgement is presumably legally sound. But it seems an unfortunate outcome, because "oops, WW2 leftover bomb exploded" seems like exactly the kind of low probability, high damage, affects-small-number-of-policyholders outcome that you would like your insurance to cover rather than wriggling out of, even if you might be more or less OK with the insurer having a war exclusion clause to avoid insuring against an outcome that might require them to pay out to almost all their policy holders at once...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,144
    kyf_100 said:

DavidL said:

On topic, the number of homeowners who say that they are going to vote Tory is quite horrendous for them. If they are even behind in that segment come the election they are doomed.

Mortgage rates have peaked and edged back under 6% but for anyone who was a first time buyer in the last decade that comes under the category of extortion (and government incompetence since it could hardly be their own fault that they over borrowed, could it?)

6% on a mortgage 3x your annual income is a bargain. 6% on a mortgage 8-9x your annual income is murderous.

For the most part house prices have functioned as a result of disposable income, tracking closely to 30% of disposable income throughout most of the years 1983-2023.

We are now seeing a disconnect - affordability plummeting without a corresponding drop in prices, due to extreme scarcity created by decades of artificially restricted supply and unrestricted immigration.

For a lot of people, home ownership is a millstone around their neck, rather than the liberation and freedom it used to represent.

The only thing in its favour is that renting is even worse.

But that will not win the Tories votes...

It's also worth noting that prices are often relatively slow to drop.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,322

Only five months to go until Liz Truss makes her triumphant return as PM after rejoining the Lib Dems and winning the General Election.

Welcome aboard the Truss Train! Next stop No. 10!!!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,322
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Definitely not Interstellar, where the father is consumed by his distance from his daughter and entirely forgets about his son.
    Star Wars
  • Options
    Off topic, but important to anyone who likes elections: "For more than a decade and a half, autocracy has been steadily advancing around the globe. Dictators routinely arrest their foes, including those demanding basic rights such as freedom of expression. But they have modernized their methods, taking control of the internet and using it to broadcast disinformation while censoring the truth. They have forced independent media to close and aimed surveillance at social media and the people who use it. They have created firewalls and imposed internet shutdowns. Freedom House found in its latest annual survey of political rights and civil liberties that democracy has been in decline for 17 years — and one of the biggest drivers has been attacks on freedom of expression."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/12/21/autocracy-democracy-internet-circumvention/

And, some dictators have been undermining democracies, wherever they can.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    Has this been posted?

New Hampshire Primary - American Research Group:

Trump 33
    Haley 29
    Christie 13
    DeSantis 6
    Ramaswamy 5

Gap closing rapidly.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202
    MikeL said:

Has this been posted?

Trump 33
    Haley 29
    Christie 13
    DeSantis 6
    Ramaswamy 5

Gap closing rapidly.

St Anselm college has it Trump 44%, Haley 30%, Christie 12%.

Though yes NH is Haley's best chance for a breakthrough, Iowa has a stronger Trump lead over De Santis and Haley
    https://www.anselm.edu/about/anselmian-hub/news/new-poll-saint-anselm-college-survey-center-finds-nikki-haley-clear-choice-voters-have-unfavorable-opinion-former-president-donald-trump
    https://insideradvantage.com/topline-tabs-insideradvantage-iowa-gop-caucus-survey-december/
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

algarkirk said:

The Guardian today is running a story which hints at Santa Claus not actually existing. This must be a spoof.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/dec/22/psychologists-pinpoint-age-when-children-become-sceptical-about-santa-claus

It contains the immortal line:

.....while other children believed in him until they were 15 or 16......

15 or 16 is nothing.

Some people believe in the old god bollocks throughout their adult life.
    What! That hoary old myth that the universe didn't make and fine tune itself by accident. O sancta simplicitas.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

#Truss24
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,319
    edited December 2023
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

Has this been posted?

Trump 33
    Haley 29
    Christie 13
    DeSantis 6
    Ramaswamy 5

Gap closing rapidly.

St Anselm college has it Trump 44%, Haley 30%, Christie 12%.

Though yes NH is Haley's best chance for a breakthrough, Iowa has a stronger Trump lead over De Santis and Haley
    https://www.anselm.edu/about/anselmian-hub/news/new-poll-saint-anselm-college-survey-center-finds-nikki-haley-clear-choice-voters-have-unfavorable-opinion-former-president-donald-trump
    https://insideradvantage.com/topline-tabs-insideradvantage-iowa-gop-caucus-survey-december/
    I know - I posted the Saint Anselm poll a couple of days ago.

The point is there is clear evidence that it is tightening and the momentum is with Haley.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,802
    edited December 2023
    Good evening all.

Isn't this Short-Term Rishi burning everything down, including his own house?

They had a decent record on increasing housebuild by multiple finessings, but then they took away house building requirements to get the Nimbies back from populist (but utterly incoherent) Lib Dem campaigns.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Star Wars
    GODSDAMMIT!!!!!! (facepalm)
  • Options

Off topic, but important to anyone who likes elections: "For more than a decade and a half, autocracy has been steadily advancing around the globe. Dictators routinely arrest their foes, including those demanding basic rights such as freedom of expression. But they have modernized their methods, taking control of the internet and using it to broadcast disinformation while censoring the truth. They have forced independent media to close and aimed surveillance at social media and the people who use it. They have created firewalls and imposed internet shutdowns. Freedom House found in its latest annual survey of political rights and civil liberties that democracy has been in decline for 17 years — and one of the biggest drivers has been attacks on freedom of expression."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/12/21/autocracy-democracy-internet-circumvention/

Sad fact, good article: thank you
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,152
    tlg86 said:

On siblings in films, has Donnie Darko been mentioned? The dinner scene is brilliant:

That whole film is brilliant. I also quite like Jake Gyladasdasdihall's 'Source Code'. A Groundhog Day thriller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HCsSOuDS7Y
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Star Wars
    Ooooooook, I am your…
  • Options
    Slalom Sir Keir will always be the Johnson Variant Wallah

He tried to politicise and personalise a new strain of a virus

Not long before, he rushed out to John Lewis to be pictured poignantly pointing at wallpaper

This is a serious man for serious times
  • Options
    The Koreans do siblings really well.

I recommend My Mister (Netflix).
    Really irritating, but deeply relatable deadbeat brothers. Who are slightly, but not really, incidental to the story.

Great series, with the unfeasibly talented IU.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Has this been posted?

Trump 33
    Haley 29
    Christie 13
    DeSantis 6
    Ramaswamy 5

Gap closing rapidly.

Footsteps.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,802
    edited December 2023
    viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Star Wars
    Ooh.

A filmist rabbithole I have not discovered.

(Currently I am down an electric narrowboat rabbithole. A complete sailaway one will cost you £200-250k, which I think will dent even the finances of the wealthier PBers.)
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,614
    On siblings in drama, has anybody mentioned Happy Valley? The complex relationship between Catherine and her sister Clare is absolutely beautifully portrayed.
  • Options
    An hour on the historical accuracy of A Muppet Christmas Carol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opXFR6ab214
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,199
    DougSeal said:

It was while considering the possibility that the combination of an unpopular government and a lacklustre opposition could lead to another "I agree with Nick" election that her strategy became clear. She must have been planning this for years.
  • Options
    Boris Johnson, of course, famously serious.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,536
    The final 2023 local by-election scoresheet:

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    Asylum seekers are apparently flying home for Christmas via Luton Airport.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/migrants-applying-for-asylum-are-going-home-for-christmas/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    isam said:

Hadn’t seen this! Brilliant!!!

Amazingly, Starmer just about pulls this off. Sunak will be sick. He couldn’t. Not a chance.

https://x.com/spajw/status/1737854185901805649?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Southern Observer thinks SKS pulls "it" off

Inaction Man or GI Genocide he doesn't say
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,029
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Star Wars
    Ooh.

(Currently I am down an electric narrowboat rabbithole. A complete sailaway one will cost you £200-250k, which I think will dent even the finances of the wealthier PBers.)
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

DougSeal said:

viewcode said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Star Wars
    Ooh.

As long as it doesn’t run out of charge half way through Harecasrle.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I've not seen much discussion about events in Poland since the election and the emergence of a new majority coalition led by Donald Tusk.

The previous Law & Justice Government had sought to control the publicly-owned media by appointing pro-Government representatives to run TVP (TV Poland) and the news channel TVP INFO quickly became a pro-Law & Justice outlet which was a huge advantage given its reach across Poland. Throughout the election campaign, its coverage was strongly pro-Law & Justice and anti-Civic Platform (Tusk's party).

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your perspective, Tusk prevailed and since the election TVP INFO has continued to run strongly anti-Tusk commentary claiming disunity in the new coalition and that Law & Justice were the rightful Government as they won the most votes and seats.

With Tusk's new Government confirmed by the Sejm on Monday, retribution has been swift. The pro-Law & Justic placemen have been fired and on Tuesday TVP INFO had its signal cut and its websites closed down.

There's an old saying about two wrongs not making a right and for all I understand Tusk's frustration, shutting the channel down seems an over-reaction. As a liberal, I support and welcome tolerance but I learnt a long time ago you can't force people to be tolerant. You have to be strong enough to tolerate intolerance - condemn it, use education against it if you can but don't suppress or ban it.

I'd like to think Tusk, rather then making the channel dance to his tune, would encourage and even mandate balance. Some on here may disagree but one thing the BBC does is provide a degree of balance and certainly far more than you'll get from GB News for example. Could balance be enforced - should it?

It’s problematic.
    The previous regime had entrenched its cronies in every part of the state. Remedying that without drastic action would have been a multi decade project.

There’s been plenty of criticism of Tusk’s actions:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/20/poland-new-government-sacks-state-tv-radio-and-news-bosses

I’m withholding judgment until I see what happens next.
  • Options
    Back on topic (sorry), all Rishi Sunak needs to do is arrange for the Government to pay off everybody’s mortgage and there is a chance of a Conservative majority.
  • Options
    Isn’t it great on here without Leon! Mods please note.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,872

It’s fine, but I enjoy his contributions. Not so much the AI pictures, or the occasional late night fash moments, but the other stuff.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,912
    Nigelb said:

stodge said:

I've not seen much discussion about events in Poland since the election and the emergence of a new majority coalition led by Donald Tusk.

The previous Law & Justice Government had sought to control the publicly-owned media by appointing pro-Government representatives to run TVP (TV Poland) and the news channel TVP INFO quickly became a pro-Law & Justice outlet which was a huge advantage given its reach across Poland. Throughout the election campaign, its coverage was strongly pro-Law & Justice and anti-Civic Platform (Tusk's party).

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your perspective, Tusk prevailed and since the election TVP INFO has continued to run strongly anti-Tusk commentary claiming disunity in the new coalition and that Law & Justice were the rightful Government as they won the most votes and seats.

With Tusk's new Government confirmed by the Sejm on Monday, retribution has been swift. The pro-Law & Justic placemen have been fired and on Tuesday TVP INFO had its signal cut and its websites closed down.

There's an old saying about two wrongs not making a right and for all I understand Tusk's frustration, shutting the channel down seems an over-reaction. As a liberal, I support and welcome tolerance but I learnt a long time ago you can't force people to be tolerant. You have to be strong enough to tolerate intolerance - condemn it, use education against it if you can but don't suppress or ban it.

I'd like to think Tusk, rather then making the channel dance to his tune, would encourage and even mandate balance. Some on here may disagree but one thing the BBC does is provide a degree of balance and certainly far more than you'll get from GB News for example. Could balance be enforced - should it?

It’s problematic.
    The previous regime had entrenched its cronies in every part of the state. Remedying that without drastic action would have been a multi decade project.

There’s been plenty of criticism of Tusk’s actions:
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/20/poland-new-government-sacks-state-tv-radio-and-news-bosses

I’m withholding judgment until I see what happens next.
    Yes I'm probably in the same place. Tusk is talking about re-starting TVP INFO once the house has been cleaned (so to speak) but the fact remains Law & Justice are a legitimate political party and entitled to have their view represented in the media.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

The real issue is that normally the mods go soft on him. Yet half the time he’s peddling hate here and the other half, peddling nonsense.

Nice dog, btw
  • Options

isam said:

Hadn’t seen this! Brilliant!!!

Amazingly, Starmer just about pulls this off. Sunak will be sick. He couldn’t. Not a chance.

https://x.com/spajw/status/1737854185901805649?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Southern Observer thinks SKS pulls "it" off

Inaction Man or GI Genocide he doesn't say
    As some wag noted, he’s pulled off a perfect “thought provoking interpretation of Macbeth at the NT”.

https://x.com/robpalkwriter/status/1737923173134291429?s=46
  • Options
    Absolute disgrace.
    This is just delaying the substantive decision.

Here’s the order from #SCOTUS denying cert. before judgment in the Trump immunity case.

All this does is kick things back to the D.C. Circuit, which is already set to hear argument on January 9—and will likely rule soon thereafter.

Then, we go back to the Supreme Court…

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1738282088468746365

They’ve previously granted certiorari on far flimsier grounds.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,312
    edited December 2023

Boris Johnson, of course, famously serious.

Over whom you and Slalom preferred deadly serious candidate Comrade Corbyn

He was Keir's close friend. Until Keir won the leadership
  • Options

I don’t think you ought to ban someone permanently purely on grounds of taste.

However tempting.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited December 2023
    Nigelb said:

However tempting.
    It’s a bit like Happy Days without The Fonz, or Dear John without Kirk St Moritz!

Seems v silly to ban him for posting AI photos
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    TimS said:

It’s fine, but I enjoy his contributions. Not so much the AI pictures, or the occasional late night fash moments, but the other stuff.
    Yes, his other stuff is great.

Not, however, the barely disguised racism, or his juvenile-facism, of course. Not his credulous conspiracy stuff, trawled from the internet and reposted here without troubling meanwhile a single one of his neurons (which are mostly in sleep mode, anyhow). Not the blatant lies and pitiful fantasies about his real self. Not the gratuitous and usually foul abuse dished out to anyone who expresses a contrary view while he’s already tanked up, which could be any time from late morning onwards. Not the exaggerated tales of youthful misdeeds, always off topic. Not the AI pictures as you say. Not his absurd betting predictions, which will surely lose you your money. Not anything that requires some numeracy, or understanding of the real world in which most of us work, about which he is almost entirely ignorant.

But his other stuff yes, that’s always great.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Fair comment! Leon please note!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Yes, his other stuff is great.

Not, however, the barely disguised racism, or his juvenile-facism, of course. Not his credulous conspiracy stuff, trawled from the internet and reposted here without troubling meanwhile a single one of his neurons (which are mostly in sleep mode, anyhow). Not the blatant lies and pitiful fantasies about his real self. Not the gratuitous and usually foul abuse dished out to anyone who expresses a contrary view while he’s already tanked up, which could be any time from late morning onwards. Not the exaggerated tales of youthful misdeeds, always off topic. Not the AI pictures as you say. Not his absurd betting predictions, which will surely lose you your money. Not anything that requires some numeracy, or understanding of the real world in which most of us work, about which he is almost entirely ignorant.

But his other stuff yes, that’s great.
    You make him sound like a Telegraph or Spectator columnist!
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,912
    I see silly Susan Hall continues to make a complete nonsense of trying to be the next Mayor of London.

When, having complained ad nauseam about the 8.6% Council Tax rise from Khan, she was asked where she would make savings, we got the usual bluster.

She did make a point about fare evasion which is endemic in my part of London especially among young men but cracking down on fare evasion isn't cost free - indeed, one might argue TfL tolerates it at the level it is because of the cost of doing anything about it set against any revenue increase.

I'd love to see fare evasion reduced but I know there's a law of diminishing returns at work and the occasional well-targeted blitz probably does wonders so what else does she have in mind to bring down Council Tax in London?

To be fair, TfL is the bulk of the Mayor's expenditure and basically his only source of income (about £6 billion) so it's the right area but there's far more than fare evasion at work.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Absolute disgrace.

Here’s the order from #SCOTUS denying cert. before judgment in the Trump immunity case.

All this does is kick things back to the D.C. Circuit, which is already set to hear argument on January 9—and will likely rule soon thereafter.

What does this mean?

Who was asking for what?

Wont it be ruled on soon?
  • Options
    Why does Australia beat us at everything?
  • Options

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/migrants-applying-for-asylum-are-going-home-for-christmas/

Not driving home for Christmas?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,251
    tlg86 said:

A friend of mine used to babysit them
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The real issue is that normally the mods go soft on him. Yet half the time he’s peddling hate here and the other half, peddling nonsense.

Nice dog, btw
    Harris the Miniature Schauzer. Named after either the island or the gin. Probably the gin.
  • Options

Thats a blow
  • Options
    isam said:

Nigelb said:

However tempting.
    It’s a bit like Happy Days without The Fonz, or Dear John without Kirk St Moritz!

Seems v silly to ban him for posting AI photos
    The Fonz? Are you accusing Leon of being a creepy older guy who pervs over teenage girls and jumped the shark several decades ago?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Breaking - some customers report being unable to leave Newport Sainsbury’s car park today, for up to three hours, due to congestion….
  • Options

However I feel uninformed and wild speculation on the religion of the Prague shooter is a missing part of PB’s rich tapestry. Another tradition fallen by the wayside.
  • Options

Because they have no morals or sense of fair play.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I see silly Susan Hall continues to make a complete nonsense of trying to be the next Mayor of London.

When, having complained ad nauseam about the 8.6% Council Tax rise from Khan, she was asked where she would make savings, we got the usual bluster.

She did make a point about fare evasion which is endemic in my part of London especially among young men but cracking down on fare evasion isn't cost free - indeed, one might argue TfL tolerates it at the level it is because of the cost of doing anything about it set against any revenue increase.

I'd love to see fare evasion reduced but I know there's a law of diminishing returns at work and the occasional well-targeted blitz probably does wonders so what else does she have in mind to bring down Council Tax in London?

To be fair, TfL is the bulk of the Mayor's expenditure and basically his only source of income (about £6 billion) so it's the right area but there's far more than fare evasion at work.

Could the Tories have found a less credible candidate?
  • Options

Not driving home for Christmas?
    Get Rea l.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, here’s one from Wednesday:

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,199
    IanB2 said:

Breaking - some customers report being unable to leave Newport Sainsbury’s car park today, for up to three hours, due to congestion….

That's as good an excuse as any to post Newport State of Mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eijc2tGe-zM
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Meanwhile, here’s one from Wednesday:

St. Catherines?
  • Options

Because they have no morals or sense of fair play.
    They can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until you say nice things about Vegemite...
  • Options
    The asylum seekers flying home for Christmas story is surely a heartwarming festive tale.

Heartwarming for people who don’t like economic migrants claiming asylum as it seems the police are catching them and applying the existing law effectively. Heartwarming for those who are concerned about Britain’s reputation abroad as it shows people wanting to come to Britain for a better life, so we’re not that crap after all.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Could the Tories have found a less credible candidate?
    Yes, but it would have been an effort.

Besides- Hall was the leader of the Conservative group on the London Assembly. Whilst that's not exactly up there with Deputy Prime Minister in the Important Political Jobs stakes, it's also not nothing. One of her predecessors was James Cleverly, after all.

She probably is as good as it gets for London Conservatives these days.
  • Options
    Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 41% (-5)
    CON: 27% (+2)
    LDM: 12% (+2)
    RFM: 9% (=)
    GRN: 6% (+1)
    SNP: 3% (=)

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 21-22 Dec.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,761
    A shout out to all the PB Christians.

As I said to a colleague of that persuasion earlier:

You get to celebrate the birth of your saviour. All I get is a mince pie.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Worst Dogging Excuse ever
  • Options

And a card from your MP surely.

• Options

Westminster Voting Intention:

LAB: 41% (-5)
    CON: 27% (+2)
    LDM: 12% (+2)
    RFM: 9% (=)
    GRN: 6% (+1)
    SNP: 3% (=)

Via
    @wethinkpolling
    , 21-22 Dec.

LLG 59% RefCon 36%. The blocs have definitely narrowed a bit with the recent Reform small boats boom.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,970

On siblings in drama, has anybody mentioned Happy Valley? The complex relationship between Catherine and her sister Clare is absolutely beautifully portrayed.

Apols if it's been mentioned - but 'The Cement Garden' is really very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cement_Garden_(film)

• Options
    Eight states in the US lost population in 2023:

"The hardest hit among them was New York, which saw a decline in nearly 102,000 residents."

Followed by:
    California: 75,423
    Illinois: 32,826
    Louisiana: 14,274
    Pennsylvania: 10,408
    Oregon: 6,021
    Hawaii: 4,261
    West Virginia: 3,964

From the same article, you can learn that the ten states with the largest population growths are mostly Republican. And that the state with the fastest percentage growth was Nikki Haley's South Carolina, barely.
    source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nearly-every-state-saw-population-growth-in-2023-these-8-didn-t-census-says/ar-AA1lScXT?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=8edec1e194cb4e6e872dafb4dc0a64b4&ei=68

Here's the census report: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-releases/2023/population-trends-return-to-pre-pandemic-norms.html
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    Siblings in drama: Pinter, The Homecoming; and Twelfth Night come to mind.

And if we’re doing novels The Mill on the Floss, surely.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,083
    He's not going to be jailed or even convicted ahead of the election, once again people hoping events would take care of him for them will be disappointed.

The US Supreme Court has declined, for now, to decide whether former president Donald Trump has immunity from prosecution for allegedly trying to overturn the 2020 election.

Mr Trump's efforts to delay his trial appears successful, as the case must now work through the appeals process.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67808655
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,809
    ohnotnow said:

If you want a film about siblings, this is pretty on the nose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_My_Eyes_(film)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He's not going to be jailed or even convicted ahead of the election, once again people hoping events would take care of him for them will be disappointed.

The US Supreme Court has declined, for now, to decide whether former president Donald Trump has immunity from prosecution for allegedly trying to overturn the 2020 election.

Mr Trump's efforts to delay his trial appears successful, as the case must now work through the appeals process.

The US economic data out today is actually positive and there are signs the US consumer is becoming more optimistic. That is the best chance for Biden.

Those hoping to use the courts to rule against Trump are only going down a dead end and are fuelling his arguments
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    stodge said:

Who is this "We"?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

Siblings in drama: Pinter, The Homecoming; and Twelfth Night come to mind.

And if we’re doing novels The Mill on the Floss, surely.

And a couple from the dark side: The Duchess of Malfi, and ‘Tis a Pity She’s a Whore.
  • Options
    Tres said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

What I can't think of is a film or series with a brother/sister relationship at its core (ie different sexes). There's Ross and Monica in friends I suppose but that's not central to the plot of the sitcom. Ritchie and Joanie in Happy Days? Again, not central to the plot.
    Ah yes Cruel Intentions... "you can put it anywhere"... Technically not siblings but still, great film. I'm definitely up for Cruel Intentions the Musical on the West End next year.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,687

@MoonRabbit - has he been invited to The Toilets?
  • Options
    CatMan said:

ohnotnow said:

If you want a film about siblings, this is pretty on the nose:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_My_Eyes_(film)
    I see from reading the Wiki Page they both deal with the same thing!
  • Options

@MoonRabbit - has he been invited to The Toilets?
    That would be taking the piss!
  • Options
    Star Wars - Luke and Leia are siblings.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Nigelb said:

Absolute disgrace.

Hold on, doesn't certoriari mean judicial review of a lower court's decision. If cert is denied doesn't the Co decision stand; or is this some other case..
  • Options

And a card from your MP surely.

Wes sent me a card today!
  • Options

https://youtu.be/Cg-pnGFbwMQ?si=SPN5xPQ1MA3bod3F
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited December 2023
    Nigelb said:

Absolute disgrace.

Frankly, the way that American politics is going seems pretty poor from this side of the Atlantic. Why not just try and beat Trump, rather than fuel his own narrative....
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,969

Tres said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Sibling movies contd.
    Pride and Prejudice.
    Sense and Sensibility.

I’d forgotten Twins.

Ah yes Cruel Intentions... "you can put it anywhere"... Technically not siblings but still, great film. I'm definitely up for Cruel Intentions the Musical on the West End next year.
    Isn't Cruel Intentions just Les Liaisons Dangereuses with extra steps?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

If that is the case, perhaps.
    But since this is an issue where such a decision with such an effect would be highly controversial , it’s curious that there is no written dissent to the refusal to grant certiorari.

There is an alternate theory going around (which is at least possible) that they are allowing the appeals court (which will also hear on an accelerated schedule) to rule first, and are still prepared for a fairly rapid ruling against Trump.
    https://twitter.com/lawofruby/status/1738294542665736586

We will see.

My initial reaction was indeed that this is disgraceful delay by the court, but it is curious that there’s no dissent. In any case we’ll see fairly soon one way or the other.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

https://youtu.be/Cg-pnGFbwMQ?si=SPN5xPQ1MA3bod3F
    No, they just kissed (in front of Han Solo no less), but they never fucked!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Absolute disgrace.

Hold on, doesn't certoriari mean judicial review of a lower court's decision. If cert is denied doesn't the Co decision stand; or is this some other case..
    In this case it would have been the SC court reviewing the lower court’s decision, pre-emptying the appeal which will otherwise first be heard by the appeals court.

There’s clearly very good legal reason for speedy resolution of the legal question, since to delay it until after the election (which is what Trump seeks) risks irreparable (by the courts) damage.
This discussion has been closed.