Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Next Sunak will announce water is wet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,337
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

That said I had some jolly nice oysters at the Red Lion and Sun, a gastropub in Highgate, yesterday

You can find oyster quality in odd places, but the more peripheral tend to be more variable (and you do NOT want variablity in oysters)

Your right I do not want variability in my oysters. I want no oysters.
    Can't trust a man who doesn't love oysters. Sorry. It is the ultimate test of masculine soundness

It means you have overcome your natural but childish aversion to something that looks like donkey phlegm in an ashtray, and you have thought: I can do this. And you've girded your loins and you've tipped back your half shell and you've slurped it all up and then you've realised OMFG they're fantastic!!! And a lifelong love is born: because you were brave

THAT, my friends, THAT is a man
    I have eaten oysters on several occasions they are fucking disgusting. However I am enough of a man to say they are fucking disgusting rather than to go with the flow because they are seen as haute cuisine by people like you who I suspect mostly go along with this shit because to not like oysters or champagne or caviar somehow marks you down as one of the hoi polloi....Oysters really are disgusting, fizzy wine is foul as for caviar it tastes salty is about the only thing you can say about it. You want to pay huge prices for overrated trash be my guest
    Ah, Pagan2, and your native speaking Cornish mother. Never change, my andsome, never change
    It was my grandparents that didnt really speak much english. However doesnt stop you being an idiot who values things because they are seen as posh. Anything where you have to say its an aquired taste whether tripe or caviar means its something no one would eat if they actually had a choice then it becomes rarer and suddenly the in thing to have....you are merely a food fashion victim
    Caviar and oysters are “suddenly” the “in thing”? Are you measuring time geologically?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,677
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

That said I had some jolly nice oysters at the Red Lion and Sun, a gastropub in Highgate, yesterday

You can find oyster quality in odd places, but the more peripheral tend to be more variable (and you do NOT want variablity in oysters)

Can't trust a man who doesn't love oysters. Sorry. It is the ultimate test of masculine soundness

It means you have overcome your natural but childish aversion to something that looks like donkey phlegm in an ashtray, and you have thought: I can do this. And you've girded your loins and you've tipped back your half shell and you've slurped it all up and then you've realised OMFG they're fantastic!!! And a lifelong love is born: because you were brave

I have eaten oysters on several occasions they are fucking disgusting. However I am enough of a man to say they are fucking disgusting rather than to go with the flow because they are seen as haute cuisine by people like you who I suspect mostly go along with this shit because to not like oysters or champagne or caviar somehow marks you down as one of the hoi polloi....Oysters really are disgusting, fizzy wine is foul as for caviar it tastes salty is about the only thing you can say about it. You want to pay huge prices for overrated trash be my guest
    Ah, Pagan2, and your native speaking Cornish mother. Never change, my andsome, never change
    It was my grandparents that didnt really speak much english. However doesnt stop you being an idiot who values things because they are seen as posh. Anything where you have to say its an aquired taste whether tripe or caviar means its something no one would eat if they actually had a choice then it becomes rarer and suddenly the in thing to have....you are merely a food fashion victim
    I kind of understand your argument, and it is not without merit

It is true to say I probably ate my first oyster because it seemed sophisticated or adult to do so, but then that is true of so many things we consume (not just "posh"). From beer to tobacco, kids try things coz grown ups do it, people with more experience of life, and you want to be one of them. And then, even if they are not immediately appealing, they start appeal to you in an of themselves

Cf oysters. By my third plate of oysters I was absolutely a fan. Now I genuinely love them. I will seek out oysters in any new country I visit (if they have an oyster culture). I love the ritual that surrounds them, the choosing, the season, the cleaning, the shucking, the serving - and in what way?

And I love love love the eating. I believe they actually give me a high, a pep of energy and happiness. Zinc? Potassium? I generally walk out of a good oyster bar feeling zippier and happier than when I walk out of any other restaurant
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,983
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Matter of taste, I think.
    I love almost all seafood, oysters included; my wife dislikes almost all, ditto. Posh is irrelevant in this case.
  • Options
    Should I be worried that I cannot come up with a single innuendo in the headline for the thread I'm writing about Peter Bone and the by election?
  • Options

Should I be worried that I cannot come up with a single innuendo in the headline for the thread I'm writing about Peter Bone and the by election?

Try a pun. “No marrow escape for Bone”
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Good, more for us oyster lovers.

First encountered the bivalve in New Orleans at Acme & Felix oyster bars (can't remember which I went to first) on Iberville Street in the French Quarter.

Plump oysters - typical pronounced "ersters" by the locals - on the half shell. Ordered half dozen, washed down with cold Dixie and/or Jax beer then the hometown brews of NO.

Then I ordered another half dozen. Then went across street to the other oyster bar . . .

About same time, discovered the Po' Boy. My favorites being oyster and shrimp in that order.

And my friends, this was back when a po' boy damn sure WAS a po' boy. Very traditional, with very fresh French bread, oysters deep fried while you waited and sometimes watched, then "dressed" (also very traditionally) with mayonnaise, lettuce & tomato, with ketchup and Tabasco sauce to taste.

AND BIG. Huge sandwiches. With at least half-dozen plump, juicy, meaty perfectly-fried oysters.
    Ah, old pal, I LOVE the oyster bars of Nawlins. Half a dozen on the half shell on Bourbon Street. That is happiness. A cliche, but happiness nonetheless

And I love the little saltine crackers you do in Louisiana
  • Options

So nominative determinism strikes again.

First it was Chris Pincher, now Peter Bone, should Rishi Sunak be worried about Greg Hands?

There's always an exception to the rule, I give you James Cleverly.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I love almost all seafood, oysters included; my wife dislikes almost all, ditto. Posh is irrelevant in this case.
    I think she was underrated. While Sporty and Scary were the heart and soul of the band, Posh caught the zeitgeist more than the others.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Oyster? I just use my Contactless card these days :lol:
    Personally have an Orca card in my wallet, good for travel on local & regional busses, ferries and light rail.

BTW (also FYI) Orcas LOVE Oysters.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,496
    I'm disappointed that while being sidetracked looking for Babylon 5 references nobody has spotted the fact the header is a clear reference to Victor Canning's 1963 spy thriller The Limbo Line.
  • Options

First person to spot the Babylon 5 reference earns kudos.

Who are the Babylon 5?

First person to spot the Babylon 5 reference earns kudos.

Who are the Babylon 5?
    "Ignorance, you see, can be outhought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
    Somehow we're back on the subject of Amanda Spielman.
  • Options
    The division between those who love oysters and those who loathe them is one of the most brutal and interesting in the culinary world, maybe in all humanity

I don't deny I perceive a fundamental inadequacy and an unearned but real inferiority in the oyster-loathers
  • Options

First it was Chris Pincher, now Peter Bone, should Rishi Sunak be worried about Greg Hands?

Even the Tories can do irony occasionally.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,865

Will they hold off moving Wellingborough to see if Blackpool South will be put through a recall petition?
  • Options
    On topic - November next year.

Mr Sunak will use the LE as a test run for a June election. When the results are, ahem, not quite what he needs then he will panic and delay until November.

It doesn't matter. Neither immigration nor oysters will save him
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I like Oysters. I was brought up in a village just south of Whitstable so there were a lot of them about.
    I had my first age 16. Was unsure. By my third I was a total addict

Weirdly similar to me heroin-taking career, actually
    I had my first at 14 on holiday in France. Oysters that is. I’ve yet to experience the delights of smack.
    Give heroin at least three goes, is my advice. The first time you often just puke, and it's horrid. The second time is commonly mixed, you get the sense of a high, but there is still nausea, and maybe a little fear

It's the third time when you get the peculiar blissful but unequalled heroin rush: like you've been kidnapped by the world's most loving gangsters and been rushed to a velvet brothel in the richest part of town where they are feeding you, blindfold, the exquisite sorbets of orgasm
    I’m not going to lie. That sounds fucking disturbing.
    Why?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,901
    DougSeal said:

Will Bone fracture Sunak's plans?
  • Options

Are you finding it too hard?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,642
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I like Oysters. I was brought up in a village just south of Whitstable so there were a lot of them about.

I had my first at 14 on holiday in France. Oysters that is. I’ve yet to experience the delights of smack.
    Give heroin at least three goes, is my advice. The first time you often just puke, and it's horrid. The second time is commonly mixed, you get the sense of a high, but there is still nausea, and maybe a little fear

It's the third time when you get the peculiar blissful but unequalled heroin rush: like you've been kidnapped by the world's most loving gangsters and been rushed to a velvet brothel in the richest part of town where they are feeding you, blindfold, the exquisite sorbets of orgasm
    I have a family member whose melancholy task at work from time to time is to take away babies at birth from their heroin taking mothers, so, while no sort of expert I slightly feel the story doesn't always end quite this way.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,100
    edited December 2023
    The 2023 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are on AI this year. The presenter, Mike Wooldridge, gave a lecture on Generative AI earlier in the year.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

It's a rib tickler for sure
  • Options

You've forgotten Matt Hancock.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Bone's time is out of joint?
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 944
    viewcode said:

The 2023 Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are on AI this year.

Wake me up when they're *by* AI :-)

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,100
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I think she was underrated. While Sporty and Scary were the heart and soul of the band, Posh caught the zeitgeist more than the others.
    Eminem had a point of view about the Spice Girls
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I have a family member whose melancholy task at work from time to time is to take away babies at birth from their heroin taking mothers, so, while no sort of expert I slightly feel the story doesn't always end quite this way.
    A good friend of mine died of a heroin overdose. I went to his funeral in a vast cemetery in Hammersmith, as I stood by the grave watching them shovel the first dirt on his coffin, I made a deal with another friend there, and we went off to score more heroin

It is a nihilistic drug which commonly ends in death, dereliction or despair. It nearly killed me: many times. I am merely pointing out that it has a profound upside: or people would not do it
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    ydoethur said:

Hardly.

Will Bone stand again? Or withdraw?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,877
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

It is a matter of taste and there is certainly a food snobbery around many things like champagne, caviar, oysters . That was the whole gist of leons post in essence....you are not man enough to eat them else you would love them.... now imagine saying that to someone about for example liver which many people detest. Personally I enjoy it but I don't claim people are deficient for not sharing my taste.

Champagne is the worst of it....get offered a glass and go no thanks and its all "but this is champagne" I have tried many from high to low end frankly I would rather put my own urine in a soda stream than drink the muck....hell I would rather have a pint of watneys red barrel than a glass of champagne and that really is foul
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Hardly.

Will Bone stand again? Or withdraw?
    He was definitely a flop.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Only plebs think Posh Spice is Posh.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

First encountered the bivalve in New Orleans at Acme & Felix oyster bars (can't remember which I went to first) on Iberville Street in the French Quarter.

Plump oysters - typical pronounced "ersters" by the locals - on the half shell. Ordered half dozen, washed down with cold Dixie and/or Jax beer then the hometown brews of NO.

Then I ordered another half dozen. Then went across street to the other oyster bar . . .

About same time, discovered the Po' Boy. My favorites being oyster and shrimp in that order.

And my friends, this was back when a po' boy damn sure WAS a po' boy. Very traditional, with very fresh French bread, oysters deep fried while you waited and sometimes watched, then "dressed" (also very traditionally) with mayonnaise, lettuce & tomato, with ketchup and Tabasco sauce to taste.

AND BIG. Huge sandwiches. With at least half-dozen plump, juicy, meaty perfectly-fried oysters.
    Originally food for farmers and dockworkers, I think ?
    (Similarly, for oysters, in Victorian England.)

Pepys was fairly keen on them, too.

• Options

DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

She needed to be posh when fame and fortune Beckhamed.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,704
    Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

This is coming from someone who once posted (and it stuck in my mind from so long ago it was so striking) you were down the pub watching the rugby drinking white wine. Drinking white wine? I drink bitter in the pub, my wife drinks white wine.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,626
    edited December 2023

DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Next you will be saying that Emma Bunton was more than a year old.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Originally food for farmers and dockworkers, I think ?
    (Similarly, for oysters, in Victorian England.)

Pepys was fairly keen on them, too.

Apocryphally - maybe really - there was once a strike by 'prentices and marketboys in London because they were being fed "too much salmon and oysters"

At the time these were seen as proletarian, everyday food. However, as you rightly state. Pepys talks approvingly of these foods, and he was a social-climbing snob

Perhaps centuries elapsed between the two things, explaining the discrepancy
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    edited December 2023

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Personally have an Orca card in my wallet, good for travel on local & regional busses, ferries and light rail.

Orcas? Oysters?! Don't you mean sea otters and walruses?

Have a happy memory of a trip to Seattle for a conference and having a plane ticket which meant that effectively I got two days' free to look around - one visit was to the aquarium near the Pioneer Market to see the otters, auks, etc. etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAlztMwWoE4
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

It is a matter of taste and there is certainly a food snobbery around many things like champagne, caviar, oysters . That was the whole gist of leons post in essence....you are not man enough to eat them else you would love them.... now imagine saying that to someone about for example liver which many people detest. Personally I enjoy it but I don't claim people are deficient for not sharing my taste.

Champagne is the worst of it....get offered a glass and go no thanks and its all "but this is champagne" I have tried many from high to low end frankly I would rather put my own urine in a soda stream than drink the muck....hell I would rather have a pint of watneys red barrel than a glass of champagne and that really is foul
    I wouldn't go so far, but sparkling wine is wasted on me. I can drink it, but far prefer still wines.

As for oysters, I think them overrated. They never live up to their reputation. I had a dozen once and only eight of them worked.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Next you will be saying that Emma Bunton was more than a year old.
    A Spice Girl's lot is not an 'appy one.
  • Options

Mr Sunak will use the LE as a test run for a June election. When the results are, ahem, not quite what he needs then he will panic and delay until November.

My assumption all along had been that he would go late. Why wouldn't he? But then came the autumn statement, and we have plenty of evidence that Plan A is 2nd May.

Sunak needs momentum - not just to try and recover the polls, but also to bowl out the lunatics in the five families / ReFUK. A push towards an election is the best momentum he will get.

By March they will know that the Rwanda bill has bogged down. That's its purpose. Blame the Blob / Labour / Woke, run an immigration election, "the people's priorities vs Labour" etc and hope that Starmer trips himself up.

Or, don't. Wait it out. Rwanda bogs down with no end in sight. 5 Families out for blood, Farage out for more. Polls not closing. And no cards left to play.
  • Options

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Contra the skepticism on the prior thread, I can happily report that J Sheekeys (after a post-pandemic wobble) is back to its oyster shucking best

The Jersey natives are incredible: morsels of intense oceanic sweetness

And the fruits de mer for one is spiffingly generous (ie. enough for two, easily). With pukka chips. And a whole load of Xmas cheer in central London taaaaan, which is ebullient and full of life. Charlotte St in particular seems entirely healed from Covid now, indeed better than ever, and is rocking the festive season

9/10

My ex-Boss was a big fan of J Sheekeys. He took me there. After lunch, by mid-afternoon, I was performing an intestinal pyrotechnic show in the gents so loud people in the corridor, probably the street, could hear. No one at that firm ever looked at me the same way again. I spent most of the journey home on the floor of the train toilet praying for death’s merciful release.

The wine was good though, IIRC. So 5/10.
    Sheekey's is the equal second best oyster bar in London. alongside Bentleys

Scott's is first

Randall and Aubin is probably fourth, Wright Brothers fifth, or Fishworks maybe?

Sheeks has the best atmos especially around Xmas, coz of Soho, Covent Garden and theatreland

Scott's is supreme for absolutely food quality, however
    Does anyone want their fish pie recipe?

ETA - I mean Sheekey's
    Yes.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Have a happy memory of a trip to Seattle for a conference and having a plane ticket which meant that effectively I got two days' free to look around - one visit was to the aquarium near the Pioneer Market to see the otters, auks, etc. etc.

Glad someone brought up walruses in this context, as Walruses have the biggest penis bone.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/walrus-baculum.html

• Options
    Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Orcas like sea otters - they apparently see them as something like hairy popcorn…
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I wouldn't go so far, but sparkling wine is wasted on me. I can drink it, but far prefer still wines.

As for oysters, I think them overrated. They never live up to their reputation. I had a dozen once and only eight of them worked.
    I went to Cornwall once. I had a Cornish pasty and chips. It was lovely! 👍
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    I flew on Ryanair at the weekend. Booked a front row seat for £21. At the gate they inexplicably changed my seat to one at the back which I refused to accept, I just sat in the original seat. They had reallocated the seat to someone who hadn't paid extra for it but fortunately she wasn't bothered and just agreed to sit in another seat that was empty.

I am confused by this airline. They sell tickets for below cost price. They need to make up the difference by selling extra services, then when you pay for them, they do insulting things like this. Why don't they actually try and make an effort? It is like they prioritise their hatred for customers over everything else.

• Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,036

The Peter Principle.
  • Options

My assumption all along had been that he would go late. Why wouldn't he? But then came the autumn statement, and we have plenty of evidence that Plan A is 2nd May.

Sunak needs momentum - not just to try and recover the polls, but also to bowl out the lunatics in the five families / ReFUK. A push towards an election is the best momentum he will get.

By March they will know that the Rwanda bill has bogged down. That's its purpose. Blame the Blob / Labour / Woke, run an immigration election, "the people's priorities vs Labour" etc and hope that Starmer trips himself up.

Or, don't. Wait it out. Rwanda bogs down with no end in sight. 5 Families out for blood, Farage out for more. Polls not closing. And no cards left to play.
    It's 2 May. Fire up the Tesla!
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    edited December 2023

DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

I think it was proven when she used to shut the toilet door when on the pot. So posh she is
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Glad someone brought up walruses in this context, as Walruses have the biggest penis bone.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/walrus-baculum.html

Oh, yes. I got one of those in my finals exam many, many years ago. Proud to say I nailed it. (The secret is, it has no synovial joint or epiphyseal plate at either end, and it's bilaterally symmetrical, and at that size ...).
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Could someone please explain why I am supposed to enjoy champagne more than wine, real ale, malt whisky, or even piss?
  • Options
    darkage said:

I flew on Ryanair at the weekend. Booked a front row seat for £21. At the gate they inexplicably changed my seat to one at the back which I refused to accept, I just sat in the original seat. They had reallocated the seat to someone who hadn't paid extra for it but fortunately she wasn't bothered and just agreed to sit in another seat that was empty.

I am confused by this airline. They sell tickets for below cost price. They need to make up the difference by selling extra services, then when you pay for them, they do insulting things like this. Why don't they actually try and make an effort? It is like they prioritise their hatred for customers over everything else.

Was the lady, erm, a lot smaller than you? That is the excuse I have had with airlines with a much better rep - the need for wight distribution, albeit in a much smaller plane than Ryanair bother with.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Could someone please explain why I am supposed to enjoy champagne more than wine, real ale, malt whisky, or even piss?
    Veblenian conspicuous consumption, innit. Special glasses, big pop, so everyone for dozens of yards knows what you are having.

Depending on the colour, the other drinks are indistinguishable from piss at a distance.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

The point is you aren't drink and eat what you enjoy was the whole point. Don't start telling people they are wrong for disliking things and not manly
  • Options

And his choice is either to put down his one remaining chip in May, when it almost certainly loses, or bide his time until October when he even more almost certainly loses. The effect of people remortgaging trumps any tax cuts he can pretend to offer.

Even if May leads to a smaller defeat for the party, October leads to a better, longer stay in No 10 for Sunak and a longer time in Parliament for many of his MPs.

And that's his dilemma.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    I left nearly 2 hours ago to serve up my boiled goat and it’s gratifying to see we’re still discussing oysters.

Not the laffer curve though. The funny thing is I spend much time in my day job arguing the ins and outs of high tax rates and behaviour so I’m far from immune from the charms of laffer. I just don’t like it sprayed about as some kind of law of physics.

On oysters, there’s a very important thing to know. Not only are they delicious (and the French gobble them on Christmas Eve to counter the sadness they feel at not having Carols from Kings), but they are perfectly matched wine made from Melon de Bourgogne, aka Muscadet.

There is one vineyard, only one, in the UK that has ever attempted to grow Melon B, and it’s mine. First English Muscadets released probably in 2025 or 26. We are a few miles from Whitatable so I hope to sell much of it there.

Second thing is on boiled goat. I decided this evening the family should have a pot au feu / bollito misto, so I wandered down to Deptford high street and picked up some Endy bits of beef, some goat scrag end and a few turnips, and boiled it all up in the pressure cooker with parsley, potatoes and little carrots. You should do this. Delicious. Yet strangely virtuous feeling.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The division between those who love oysters and those who loathe them is one of the most brutal and interesting in the culinary world, maybe in all humanity

I don't deny I perceive a fundamental inadequacy and an unearned but real inferiority in the oyster-loathers

Not really.
    There are just those who like them, those who don’t - and those who didn’t fancy the idea of trying them at all. Just like quite a few other foods.
  • Options
    Only 13.2% of Wellingborough voters signed Bone’s recall petition. That must mean 86.8% of Wellingborough voters must have been dead, in hospital, in jail, out of the country or intellectually challenged.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,389
    Amazing cricket score. 267 for 3.@ 20 overs
  • Options

Only 13.2% of Wellingborough voters signed Bone’s recall petition. That must mean 86.8% of Wellingborough voters must have been dead, in hospital, in jail, out of the country or intellectually challenged.

Or illiterate.

Perhaps they attended schools judged 'Outstanding' by Chris Russell.
  • Options
    Enjoyed my kids nativity tonight, proud of my eldest, she told her teacher that she wanted a speaking role this year and was told the only speaking role unassigned yet was a boy role and would she be happy to be a boy in the nativity? She said yes, so tonight she was Joseph.

As we got closer to today she started to get more nervous, would people make fun of her for being a boy - I said that its acting and everyone's playing a role, her younger sister (a sheep in the nativity) backed that up by saying she's "a human and not a sheep, but she's playing a sheep" so no reason she couldn't be Joseph.

In the end she did it, and did it well. :)
  • Options
    TimS said:

I left nearly 2 hours ago to serve up my boiled goat and it’s gratifying to see we’re still discussing oysters.

Not the laffer curve though. The funny thing is I spend much time in my day job arguing the ins and outs of high tax rates and behaviour so I’m far from immune from the charms of laffer. I just don’t like it sprayed about as some kind of law of physics.

On oysters, there’s a very important thing to know. Not only are they delicious (and the French gobble them on Christmas Eve to counter the sadness they feel at not having Carols from Kings), but they are perfectly matched wine made from Melon de Bourgogne, aka Muscadet.

There is one vineyard, only one, in the UK that has ever attempted to grow Melon B, and it’s mine. First English Muscadets released probably in 2025 or 26. We are a few miles from Whitatable so I hope to sell much of it there.

Second thing is on boiled goat. I decided this evening the family should have a pot au feu / bollito misto, so I wandered down to Deptford high street and picked up some Endy bits of beef, some goat scrag end and a few turnips, and boiled it all up in the pressure cooker with parsley, potatoes and little carrots. You should do this. Delicious. Yet strangely virtuous feeling.

Are you kidding?
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne suffers from its own uppityness. It’s delicious, though English or Welsh sparkling wine is of course equally delicious, but because it’s seen as an occasion wine most people don’t actually drink it for the taste. Or have too high expectations. Which is a shame. It’s simply a good drink, better than crémants or cava, but not holy water.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Not the laffer curve though. The funny thing is I spend much time in my day job arguing the ins and outs of high tax rat
    es and behaviour so I’m far from immune from the charms of laffer. I just don’t like it sprayed about as some kind of law of physics.

That all sounds great, and fab, and I agree with 90% and I will buy your wine in Whitstable, but there is simply no way I am ever going to "Deptford High Street"
  • Options

And his choice is either to put down his one remaining chip in May, when it almost certainly loses, or bide his time until October when he even more almost certainly loses. The effect of people remortgaging trumps any tax cuts he can pretend to offer.

Even if May leads to a smaller defeat for the party, October leads to a better, longer stay in No 10 for Sunak and a longer time in Parliament for many of his MPs.

And that's his dilemma.
    The longer he drags it on the more damage is done to the party. His one wildcard is the Labour war against sanity Starmer.

Its entirely possible that Starmer collapses that lead. Its big but its soft. May blew things up, could Starmer also falter? Especially when put under the right amount of stress?
  • Options
    Back to Tax, if I may .... I know someone who lives in Scotland but commutes over the border to work in Newcastle. Will he get taxed at the new higher Scottish rate, or the lower English one? Is he taxed according to his residence or his place of employment?
  • Options

Amazing cricket score. 267 for 3.@ 20 overs

Truly incredible batting, nominative determination again as Salt is well worth his salt.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

This is coming from someone who once posted (and it stuck in my mind from so long ago it was so striking) you were down the pub watching the rugby drinking white wine. Drinking white wine? I drink bitter in the pub, my wife drinks white wine.
    Maybe he meant to say he was having a white whine.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne gets you pissed much quicker. Because of the bubbles. This is why it is popularly served at social receptions where a more instaneous intoxication, or cheeriness, is required
  • Options
    Leon said:

They’re ok, but not as tasty as slow roasted venison, beef, lamb, hogget and mutton. Does that mean I’m beyond the pale?
  • Options

Back to Tax, if I may .... I know someone who lives in Scotland but commutes over the border to work in Newcastle. Will he get taxed at the new higher Scottish rate, or the lower English one? Is he taxed according to his residence or his place of employment?

If he lives in Scotland, he pays Scottish tax rates.

https://greaveswestayre.co.uk/news-and-events/blog/living-in-one-country-working-in-another-what-are-the-tax-implications/
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,776
    edited December 2023
    Nice to see we're almost back on topic.

The problem with fish (pace Leon's London apprentices) is that it all tastes of ... fish ... especially when cooked the English way. In the non-English way you get fish korma, fish vindaloo and various stages in between but that is to create a distinction where no difference exists. It's a marvel of nature that fish - monk, oyster, salmon, hake ... ad infinitim - all taste the same no matter how diverse their appearance.

Once a week is OK, as with many other things.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Are you kidding?
    No need to go all gruff on me.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne differs from its own uppityness. It’s delicious, though English or Welsh sparkling wine is of course equally delicious, but because it’s seen as an occasion wine most people don’t actually drink it for the taste. Or have too high expectations. Which is a shame. It’s simply a good drink, better than crémants or cava, but not holy water.
    No, there is an actual reason. And I have cited it below
  • Options

I think its residence
  • Options
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Are you kidding?
    No need to go all gruff on me.
    No, butt I enjoy a good pun.
  • Options

Residence! Watch the creation of new tax exiles. How many days do you need to be resident in England to be resident there for tax purposes?
  • Options

On current polling a narrow Labour win.

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1737213359995441496?t=mT1czQDClcPFQasTuqGzyg&s=19

If so, it confirms the polls that predict a Tory bloodbath.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Not the laffer curve though. The funny thing is I spend much time in my day job arguing the ins and outs of high tax rat
    es and behaviour so I’m far from immune from the charms of laffer. I just don’t like it sprayed about as some kind of law of physics.

That all sounds great, and fab, and I agree with 90% and I will buy your wine in Whitstable, but there is simply no way I am ever going to "Deptford High Street"
    Not manly enough for Deptford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62693537.amp
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne differs from its own uppityness. It’s delicious, though English or Welsh sparkling wine is of course equally delicious, but because it’s seen as an occasion wine most people don’t actually drink it for the taste. Or have too high expectations. Which is a shame. It’s simply a good drink, better than crémants or cava, but not holy water.
    Yes I agree, the pissed quicker thing does work. Hence also martinis.
  • Options
    Hmmm

Biden leads Trump among likely voters by 47% to 45% in the new NY Times/Siena poll
    https://twitter.com/geoffgarin/status/1737091916167000496
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Or illiterate.

Perhaps they attended schools judged 'Outstanding' by Chris Russell.
    I hadn’t considered the possibility that 86.8% of Wellingborough voters were employed by Ofsted.
  • Options
    Most of my team are scottish, the ones affected by the new tax rate are already looking at paying more into penisons/salary sacrifice schemes. One also remarked when I mentioned it that most of what it collected was going to be spent on collecting it
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Not manly enough for Deptford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-62693537.amp
    Deptford station dates from 1836, oldest station in London that's still in use!
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Yes I agree, the pissed quicker thing does work. Hence also martinis.
    Why don’t they serve soju, then ?
    Cheap, too.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    Incoming by-election!

Peter Bone MP loses seat as recall petition triggers by-election

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67767890
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,536
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne makes me fart.

Oysters are ... ok. I like a seafoody taste, but I find a food you're supposed to drink challenging. I prefer mussels, tbh. Or cockles. Or prawns.
    And I prefer cava to champagne. Though if I were offered a glass of champagne right now I would cheerfully accept.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne gets you pissed much quicker. Because of the bubbles. This is why it is popularly served at social receptions where a more instaneous intoxication, or cheeriness, is required
    So, if I were to market fizzy Buckfast, I would make my fortune in the wine bars of Govan?
  • Options

And that's his dilemma.
    Interesting polling today on homeowners.

I expected that the owners without mortgages would be either wealthy or retired or both. Nonetheless Labour running a pretty close second in a core Tory demographic.

Can Starmer get out the grey vote?
  • Options

Incoming by-election!

Peter Bone MP loses seat as recall petition triggers by-election

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67767890

Brenda from Bristol voice: "Not another one!"
  • Options

The problem with fish (pace Leon's London apprentices) is that it all tastes of ... fish ... especially when cooked the English way. In the non-English way you get fish korma, fish vindaloo and various stages in between but that is to create a distinction where no difference exists. It's a marvel of nature that fish - monk, oyster, salmon, hake ... ad infinitim - all taste the same no matter how diverse their appearance.

There are two things that smell of fish. One of them is fish.
  • Options
    What a start! Windies chasing 268 and first ball is a golden duck. 🤣
  • Options

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

So, if I were to market fizzy Buckfast, I would make my fortune in the wine bars of Govan?
    What do you need fizz for?

"Flavour: Intense and sweet aromas of wild fruits such as plums and cherries, intertwined with notes of cola and a touch of anise.

Taste: It has a sweet and corpulent entrance. On the palate delicious cherry notes are released; shows its soft and pleasant texture."

https://www.mitchellswine.co.uk/shop/champagne_and_sparkling/sparkling/?=buckfast_tonic_wine&ref=4326
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023

Michelle Mone
  • Options

Oh, hello Bart. I was just thinking I hadn't seen you in a while. Have you been taking a break or have I just failed to coincide with you lately?

A pedant would point out that 'first ball is a golden duck' is a tautology.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    I like oysters but tbh I prefer scallops.

Champagne has a difficult-to-define quality that most other fizzes don't have, the best English sparkling wines made the same way being an exception. It's a depth of flavour or rather an underlying toasted flavour. Hard to beat.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

And that's his dilemma.
    Interesting polling today on homeowners.

I expected that the owners without mortgages would be either wealthy or retired or both. Nonetheless Labour running a pretty close second in a core Tory demographic.

Can Starmer get out the grey vote?
    By definition, anyone who has a house with no mortgage significantly before retirement in today's housing market must be fairly wealthy.*

A much bigger problem is they may not feel as if they are.

*As of today, this could include me although having fixed for 5 years at 1.6% two years ago I'm in no hurry to actually do so.
  • Options

There are two things that smell of fish. One of them is fish.
    I'm not sure they do all taste the same. I can't tell battered cod from battered haddock - but I can tell salmon from cod from plaice from prawn.
  • Options

I'm blaming you for those 20 runs.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

eristdoof said:

Leon said:

Champagne makes me fart.

Oysters are ... ok. I like a seafoody taste, but I find a food you're supposed to drink challenging. I prefer mussels, tbh. Or cockles. Or prawns.
    And I prefer cava to champagne. Though if I were offered a glass of champagne right now I would cheerfully accept.
    Champagne (and Cava) do of course cover a vast array of flavour profiles, varietal mixes, ages etc. But generic Cava plus a tiny dab of fino sherry is a lovely combination.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Oh, hello Bart. I was just thinking I hadn't seen you in a while. Have you been taking a break or have I just failed to coincide with you lately?

A pedant would point out that 'first ball is a golden duck' is a tautology.
    Been taking a break.

Only partially tautological, you can have both a golden duck that's not the first ball of an innings of course, as well as a first ball of an innings that's not a wicket so not a golden duck either.

This match has everything though, Windies making quick work of scoring now to stay in the match for now at least.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Most of my team are scottish, the ones affected by the new tax rate are already looking at paying more into penisons/salary sacrifice schemes. One also remarked when I mentioned it that most of what it collected was going to be spent on collecting it

Question - whilst tax rates are devolved to Holyrood, is collection? Isn't HMRC responsible for collecting taxes north of the wall? The same HMRC cut to the bone by the Tories?

Gift Week for Scottish accountants. Will drop a merry Christmas email to mine, wonder how happy he is...
This discussion has been closed.