Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Next Sunak will announce water is wet – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited December 2023 in General
Next Sunak will announce water is wet – politicalbetting.com

?Rishi Sunak used his No10 lobby drinks speech to confirm that next year WILL be an election year

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited December 2023
    First person to spot the Babylon 5 reference earns kudos.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,975
    Second. No kudos for me.
  • Options
    I am still calling 2 May. Time to get on with it and get it done
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427
    Has someone been seen drinking tea in a sinister fashion?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

I am still calling 2 May. Time to get on with it and get it done

Yes, I think May 2. It only gets worse by delaying.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Quick question.

I live in the US, on a non-immigrant visa. (That is, I'm not planning on staying in the US permanently.)

I own an apartment in London, where I am currently staying.

Camden Council is busy doing the electoral roll. Do I put my wife and me on it? Are we - British citizens - eligible to vote in the election next year?
  • Options
    Sept / early Oct is too soon after the summer holidays. You'd have to call it in August, which is suboptimal for all sorts of reasons, from a lack of parliamentary time to wash up legislation to candidates, activists and media being on holiday.

The earliest an election could be, if called at the beginning of September (and assuming a Thursday) is 10 Oct.

Personally, I still reckon on him using the Tory conference as the launch-pad and going with Nov 14.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited December 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I live in the US, on a non-immigrant visa. (That is, I'm not planning on staying in the US permanently.)

Camden Council is busy doing the electoral roll. Do I put my wife and me on it? Are we - British citizens - eligible to vote in the election next year?

I think there’s a separate registration process for overseas voters.

https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

What defines overseas?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Fu Manchu - known for it!
  • Options
    I think May, it makes a lot more sense than October IMHO.

But we do have to acknowledge that when faced with a decision Rishi usually chooses the less optimal route, so October remains possible.
  • Options
    Taz said:

"Only an idiot would hold a general election in 2025 that would see the election campaign that would straddle the Christmas & New Year period."

I'm surprised he's not considering it.

Still plenty of time to arrive there after his trademark u-turn or two.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

Who are the Babylon 5?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    edited December 2023

I think May, it makes a lot more sense than October IMHO.

But we do have to acknowledge that when faced with a decision Rishi usually chooses the less optimal route, so October remains possible.

On the less optimal route basis it’s going to be December next year…

May 2nd is the sane choice so I suspect it won’t be that
  • Options
    Plan A clearly is 2nd May, for a whole stack of reasons.

I don't expect much recovery in the polls by March so the temptation to delay would be there. But to what end?

They must expect a kicking in the locals, so go beyond May and people really will punish those councillors up for reelection. And then there are less activists to campaign for the GE.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,631
    edited December 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I think you are meant to register purely because you are a UK citizen (as per https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote ). You can vote in the general election if you have been resident in the last 15 years (as per https://www.gov.uk/elections-in-the-uk/general-election ).
  • Options
    Sunak isn’t that much of an idiot.

[Citation Needed]

I think you're probably right, but Sunak keeps coming out with plans so cunning that even Baldrick would balk at them.
  • Options

Who are the Babylon 5?
    Liz Mitchell
    Marcia Barrett
    Maizie Williams
    Bobby Farrell
    Reggie Tsiboe

Were the members of Boney M who sang Rivers of Babylon, though I think only 4 were bandmembers at the time.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I think you should if you plan to vote Labour. If not, hmmm, I'm really not sure of the rules, maybe best to play it safe and assume you're not eligible.
  • Options
    Big up AverageNinja for the Mean Girls reference. Probably my favourite film of the last twenty years. Also honourable mention to TimS for introducing Slay - my 11yo daughter's favourite word - to PB. Perhaps this is the defining word of the SE London female year 6 demographic. I wonder if his daughter also worships Zendaya?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

More this

He’s the chap who enabled the heir to the empire of idiots his moment.
  • Options
    If it’s in May when does it all kick off?
  • Options

I don't expect much recovery in the polls by March so the temptation to delay would be there. But to what end?

They must expect a kicking in the locals, so go beyond May and people really will punish those councillors up for reelection. And then there are less activists to campaign for the GE.

In my recent experience, the willingness of Tory councillors to campaign for Tory parliamentary candidates is somewhat limited. And a fair number of the few who would campaign would do so Spring or Autumn, win or lose. I don't think it should be (or will be) a significant factor in CCHQ's thinking.
  • Options

Who are the Babylon 5?

Who are the Babylon 5?
    "Ignorance, you see, can be outhought. Arrogance can be outmaneuvered. But ignorance and arrogance combined are unassailable."
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,632

Big up AverageNinja for the Mean Girls reference. Probably my favourite film of the last twenty years. Also honourable mention to TimS for introducing Slay - my 11yo daughter's favourite word - to PB. Perhaps this is the defining word of the SE London female year 6 demographic. I wonder if his daughter also worships Zendaya?

I checked and she's never heard of Zendaya. But now she has. Clearly not as slay as your girl.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I checked and she's never heard of Zendaya. But now she has. Clearly not as slay as your girl.
    Ha my girl is obsessed with her. She thinks that Tom Holland is punching well above his weight.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,793
    Londo Mollari : Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

B5, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark", see https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0517636/characters/nm0432867
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

Who are the Babylon 5?
    Free them now.
  • Options

Hasn't it already?

More seriously, there is a statutory 25 working day timetable for a General Election, day 0 being dissolution of Parliament, and day 25 election day. I believe that for 2nd May election, that would make dissolution day Friday, 22nd March (noting the two Easter bank holidays and May Day bank holiday).

In practice, Sunak could pre-announce the dissolution on an earlier date - presumably linked to the Budget statement which would normally be early to mid March. He'd probably look for a long-ish campaign due to being behind in the polls.
  • Options

TimS said:

Ha my girl is obsessed with her. She thinks that Tom Holland is punching well above his weight.
    Given his size, that's inevitable, though.
  • Options
    This business of the date of the general election reminds me of the "unexpected hanging" paradox.

"A prisoner is told that he will be hanged on some day between Monday and Friday, but that he will not know on which day the hanging will occur before it happens. He cannot be hanged on Friday, because if he were still alive on Thursday, he would know that the hanging will occur on Friday, but he has been told he will not know the day of his hanging in advance. He cannot be hanged Thursday for the same reason, and the same argument shows that he cannot be hanged on any other day. Nevertheless, the executioner unexpectedly arrives on some day other than Friday, surprising the prisoner.
    "
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    edited December 2023

Last week in March I think - Parliament has to be dissolved 25 working days before the election which I think is 28th March. Usually the announcement comes a few days before though.

Edit: I didn’t count the bank holidays, so scratch that. Around the end of March, though!
  • Options

Last week in March I think - Parliament has to be dissolved 25 working days before the election which I think is 28th March. Usually the announcement comes a few days before though.

Edit: I didn’t count the bank holidays, so scratch that. Around the end of March, though!
    “The avalanche has begun. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.”
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,416

Sept / early Oct is too soon after the summer holidays. You'd have to call it in August, which is suboptimal for all sorts of reasons, from a lack of parliamentary time to wash up legislation to candidates, activists and media being on holiday.

The earliest an election could be, if called at the beginning of September (and assuming a Thursday) is 10 Oct.

Personally, I still reckon on him using the Tory conference as the launch-pad and going with Nov 14.

Didn’t the security forces and civil service not want us to clash with the US election?
  • Options
    Compare Michelle Mone and her husband’s startup company, Medpro that had NEVER provided any PPE before and this chap’s established PPE company who employed 1600 people. She got £200 million after phoning Michael Gove. The government ignored him completely.
    https://twitter.com/squeezyjohn/status/1737052550912750070
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Londo Mollari : Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

B5, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark", see https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0517636/characters/nm0432867

Kudos.

I was once compared to Emperor Cartagia.
  • Options

Hasn't it already?

More seriously, there is a statutory 25 working day timetable for a General Election, day 0 being dissolution of Parliament, and day 25 election day. I believe that for 2nd May election, that would make dissolution day Friday, 22nd March (noting the two Easter bank holidays and May Day bank holiday).

In practice, Sunak could pre-announce the dissolution on an earlier date - presumably linked to the Budget statement which would normally be early to mid March. He'd probably look for a long-ish campaign due to being behind in the polls.
    May Day bank holiday is after the local elections this year so you don't need to add an extra day in for that.
  • Options

Hasn't it already?

Which means the spring budget needs to be in early March, a couple of weeks earlier than normal. So look out for announcements from HMT of the date of the budget.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    With all claims about batteries, it’s about

1) useful life
    2) energy density
    3) charging time
    4) discharge rate
    5) etc

All at the same time. It is perfectly possible to produce staggering capabilities in a couple of them. At the expense of the others.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

you did repeat one sentence twice in succession so it sounded awful tautology - is this what Bony M is noted for?

EDIT. Now see the answer. Sorry I was miles out. I’m not great on the Assyrian period.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Kudos.

You should treat your advisors better. Formaldehyde doesn’t do the job.
  • Options
    He thinks it's his spot ?

Tucker Carlson says Haley as Trump VP would be reason ‘to oppose ticket’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4367335-tucker-carlson-nikki-haley-donald-trump-vice-president-pick-reason-to-oppose-ticket-2024/
  • Options

Didn’t the security forces and civil service not want us to clash with the US election?
    I've no idea but (1) it's got nothing to do with them, and (2) so what if they 'clash' - it's more an issue for the media than the security services.
  • Options

Who are the Babylon 5?
    A highly-influential science-fiction series from 1993–1998. Influenced/popularised/invented the following
    • space battles involving large fleets of spaceships
    • space battles involving Newtonian physics
    • arc plots
    • computer-animation on a TV/cheap level
    • fan-creator interaction via the internet (copy of original site!)
    • the word "lurker" to describe people who look but not make comments
    The plot is outlined in the title sequence, and since the sequence changed each year, the intros constitute a summary. Here they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vIVFgXaxsU

The show lasted for five years and is generally agreed to have gone tits-up in year 5. Spin-offs and films eventuated, but none made the same impact.

Some Internet idiot did some fanfic on what would have happened if it entered production in 1989 in Vancouver, not 1993 in Los Angeles

Other people do fan reappraisals:

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited December 2023

I've no idea but (1) it's got nothing to do with them, and (2) so what if they 'clash' - it's more an issue for the media than the security services.
    This discusses the security services concerns.

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/10/22/is-this-the-best-way-to-deal-with-two-massive-elections-at-the-same-time/
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,657
    "@EuropeElects

Germany: the Constitutional Court has ruled that the national parliament election in the Berlin region has to be repeated in 455/2,256 polling stations due to major irregularities in the voting process in 2021. The national parliament repeat election is scheduled for 11 February 2024.
    Previously, the election to the Berlin regional parliament was annulled by the regional Constitutional Court and had to be repeated on 12 February 2023."

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1737041993153307073
  • Options
    From a couple of threads ago: holidays to erupting volcanoes.

I thought to myself "someone should run trips to active volcanoes around the world, they'd rake it in". Turns out someone does: http://www.volcanicexperiences.co.uk/

However, they seem to have tours to places where volcanoes might not actually be erupting. We need something more dynamic and flexible - either places that are about to blow, or ongoing events.

That's where this website comes in handy. https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html
    I might plan something using this for an upcoming milestone birthday.
  • Options
    TimS said:

From a couple of threads ago: holidays to erupting volcanoes.

I thought to myself "someone should run trips to active volcanoes around the world, they'd rake it in". Turns out someone does: http://www.volcanicexperiences.co.uk/

However, they seem to have tours to places where volcanoes might not actually be erupting. We need something more dynamic and flexible - either places that are about to blow, or ongoing events.

That's where this website comes in handy. https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html
    I might plan something using this for an upcoming milestone birthday.

Pumice stone rather than milestone ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    @TSE should appreciate that water is only wet under the Conservatives and that we should all be properly grateful.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    TimS said:

Hasn't it already?

Which means the spring budget needs to be in early March, a couple of weeks earlier than normal. So look out for announcements from HMT of the date of the budget.
    Yes we will need a short Finance Bill to charge income tax from 6 April before parliament is dissolved.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Compare Michelle Mone and her husband’s startup company, Medpro that had NEVER provided any PPE before and this chap’s established PPE company who employed 1600 people. She got £200 million after phoning Michael Gove. The government ignored him completely.

Isn’t Gove denying he spoke to her and was involved in any way? That’s why he sounded so much like he was avoiding the straightforward yes or no I spoke to her when asked today isn’t it?
  • Options

Hasn't it already?

Its this. They have done emergency legislation to bring forward their tax hike cut to the beginning of January. That gives them a couple of months of "wow, my taxes didn't go up quite as much as they were supposed to" benefits before a big reveal in the budget and an election announcement.

Thats Plan A.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Kudos.

TV SF related political commentary is not to be dismissed.
    https://www.threads.net/@georgehtakei/post/C1ArTqwOVJC
  • Options

Omnium said:

More this

Seems familiar. Is he a GOP spin doctor?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited December 2023
    Just had a sub-optimal experience at a barbers I haven't been to before. For about 25 minutes the rather intense bloke cutting my hair worked in studied silence (fine by me, means he's concentrating) and then, apropos of nothing at all, he just barked out "How's your day going?" Despite being thrown by the abrupt change in atmosphere, I manage to mumble a "great thanks". At which point this guy who's been mute for nearly half an hour breaks into song ("That's the way aha aha I like it") and starts jigging around the chair. It's like he's all of a sudden exploded, and bear in mind he's holding a sharp pair of scissors. That horrid scene in Reservoir Dogs was coming to mind. I was genuinely frightened. I live to tell the tale, and it was a decent haircut in the end, but I doubt I'll be going back.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

@TSE should appreciate that water is only wet under the Conservatives and that we should all be properly grateful.

A rather gushing post.
  • Options

Ho-ho-ho Happy Christmas everyone:

Rishi Sunak is meeting just one of the five priorities he set out at the start of the year, according to BBC analysis.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67752738

Now, at Leon's request, lesson 2 of successful project management: Make sure all the targets you publish are slam-dunk gimmes.

Lesson 2a of project management, at no one’s request but relevant to Sunak’s promises: if at the time you set targets they were actually slam dunk gimmies, driving trains pays well as an alternative career.

However, the truth here, in case you have not been paying attention, If the economy grows at 0.00001 and 0.000001 is shaved off borrowing, Sunak can tell Mr Speaker he has grown the economy and got borrowing down, at every PMQs. And he is.
    There is not a cat in hell's chance of even 0.000001p being shaved off Debt (which as the pledge). The amount being added to debt each month (the deficit) might reduce but that is not what Sunak pledged. (And in fact the deficit rose to in the last published figures which were for Q2 2023.)
    Hey Ben, this is new today.

in a video posted on X after the autumn statement Sunak said “debt is falling”. Later in November he told MPs at PMQs “we have indeed reduced debt”.

No 10 tried to justify Sunak’s “is falling” comment by saying he was referring to what was forecast to happen in 2028. 🫣

At what point is it straightforward lying to the House of Commons?

26m agoSunak rebuked by UK's statistics watchdog for making misleading claim about government debt falling

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/dec/19/michael-gove-sadiq-khan-housebuilding-planning-policy-england-rishi-sunak-scotland-budget-keir-starmer-uk-politics-latest?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6581c16d8f087b322e46368e#block-6581c16d8f087b322e46368e
  • Options

https://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/10/22/is-this-the-best-way-to-deal-with-two-massive-elections-at-the-same-time/
    They're being a bunch of constitutionally illiterate wet Jessies.

In both cases, ministers and officials remain in post throughout; in the US, Biden and all his crew retain full powers through to 20 Jan 2025, lame duck or not, election trail or not. And GCHQ / NSA and whoever will be little affected by an election.

Yes, new Labour ministers would be new and untested but they will have been having briefings from the start of next year, and will be barely less experienced than a whole load of Tory ministers have been over the last 4-5 years.

Planning elections around mental hobgoblins of the FSB's shadows would be nuts.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just had a sub-optimal experience at a barbers I haven't been to before. For about 25 minutes the rather intense bloke cutting my hair worked in studied silence (fine by me, means he's concentrating) and then, apropos of nothing at all, he just barked out "How's your day going?" Despite being thrown by the abrupt change in atmosphere, I manage to mumble a "great thanks". At which point this guy who's been mute for nearly half an hour breaks into song ("That's the way aha aha I like it") and starts jigging around the chair. It's like he's all of a sudden exploded, and bear in mind he's holding a sharp pair of scissors. That horrid scene in Reservoir Dogs was coming to mind. I was genuinely frightened. I live to tell the tale, and it was a decent haircut in the end, but I doubt I'll be going back.

Could have been a Lionel Blair cut

https://youtu.be/2Tc2K4j4iqs?si=QhTjcrNvQCKofIlu
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    kinabalu said:

Just had a suboptimal experience at a barbers I haven't been to before. For about 25 minutes the rather intense bloke cutting my hair worked in studied silence (fine by me, means he's concentrating) and then, apropos of nothing at all, he just barked out "How's your day going?" Despite being thrown by the abrupt change in atmosphere, I manage to mumble a "great thanks". At which point this guy who's been mute for nearly half an hour breaks into song ("That's the way aha aha I like it") and starts jigging around the chair. It's like he's all of a sudden exploded, and bear in mind he's holding a sharp pair of scissors. That horrid scene in Reservoir Dogs was coming to mind. I was genuinely frightened. I live to tell the tale, and it was a decent haircut in the end, but I doubt I'll be going back.

My son just had his best experience at a barbers. Also his first experience, as he's previously had his hair cut with his grandparents (and mum, when hers needs doing) by a mobile hairdresser. He was quite taken by the big mirror to watch the action, the little mirror to show the back of the head in the big mirror and, particuarly, by the discovery of hair gel :lol:

25 minutes sounds a bit fancy - don't think mine takes more than about 10, normally. Were you having some highlights in? As for the sudden change - 25 minutes or so could be consistent with popping some LSD just before you arrived. Maybe thought he was in Reservoir Dogs himsef :smile:
  • Options

Omnium said:

More this

Quite probably.

What do you want?
  • Options

DavidL said:

A rather gushing post.
    Some people just do puns. They faucet too hard.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Was it one of these new-fangled "Turkish" barbers that seem to be springing up like mushrooms?
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813

TimS said:

Hasn't it already?

Yes we will need a short Finance Bill to charge income tax from 6 April before parliament is dissolved.
    I think dissolution day would be Tuesday 26th March as day 0. May Day does not come into it, as that is the 6th, and there'd be no additional S/NI Bank Holidays to account for, only Good Friday and Easter Monday.

That would make Thursday May 2nd day 25.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Just be glad that you have enough hair to keep a barber occupied so long...
  • Options

Isn't the catch then the Commonwealth Summit in Samoa, which starts October 21?

Though having Rishi out of the country might be a benefit to the Conservative campaign.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442

kinabalu said:

Was it one of these new-fangled "Turkish" barbers that seem to be springing up like mushrooms?
    Or indeed, given the behaviour, springin up with shrooms.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Isn’t Gove denying he spoke to her and was involved in any way? That’s why he sounded so much like he was avoiding the straightforward yes or no I spoke to her when asked today isn’t it?
    I'm not following the ins and outs of the bunch of crooks all that closely.
    But I wouldn't exclude the possibility that Gove is as loosely tied to truth telling as is Mone.
  • Options

Omnium said:

More this

Quite probably.

What do you want?
    "No really, what do you want?"
    "A quiet flight?"
    "That's what you want now. What do you want generally? Why do all this work, what are you aiming for? What do you want to achieve? What do you want?"
    "Go away, pester someone else."
    "We'e in a plane. I can hardly leave here until you've answered my question. What do you want?"
    "This is a silly conversation."
    "Yes it is. What do you want?"
    "To be left alone."
    "Is that it? Is that really all? What do you want?"
    "All right, fine. You really want to know what I want? You really want to know the truth?"

Thornton paused, tried to focus, and continued.

"We used to be great. We built cars, ships, planes, spacecraft, starships and made them fly and spin. We lit them, painted them and filmed them, on rolling roads and shining wires. We built objects of great beauty and persuaded the world they were real. We created images that looked like nothing before or since, and they were utterly, utterly wonderful. We gave the world beauty...and now we don't. I want us to be what we used to be. I want, I want it all back the way that it was. Does that answer your question?"

Netter gaped, lost for words. Was this what Thornton wanted? A renaissance of...what? The British special effects industry? Modelmaking? His own reputation? Whatever it was, it was clear that Thornton was gripped by his own muse, and...

Netter grinned. The muse always wins.

"Yes, Mr Thornton. That answers my question."

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/valen-in-vancouver.293668/#post-8632229
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    kinabalu said:

Alarming story - but I'm always wary of barbers I haven't been to before.

A haircut is rarely a pleasant experience, and the best you can hope for is that it's over as quickly as possible.
    I think it's that cape they put over you. Deprives you of your arms. Just doesn't feel right.
    I once had a haircut take that long. The issue was that the barber refused, as a point of principle, to use a number 1, 2 etc, but instead used his own judgement. He'd been taught at barber school that using a numbered grading was a lazy shortcut for less skilled barbers. As a consequence of which I ended up with a less good haircut, though I of course admired his skill in managing a half-decent approximation of a number 1 on back and sides.

Nowadays I cut my own hair with clippers. Wish I'd started years ago.
  • Options

Rishi Sunak is meeting just one of the five priorities he set out at the start of the year, according to BBC analysis.

Now, at Leon's request, lesson 2 of successful project management: Make sure all the targets you publish are slam-dunk gimmes.

Lesson 2a of project management, at no one’s request but relevant to Sunak’s promises: if at the time you set targets they were actually slam dunk gimmies, driving trains pays well as an alternative career.

However, the truth here, in case you have not been paying attention, If the economy grows at 0.00001 and 0.000001 is shaved off borrowing, Sunak can tell Mr Speaker he has grown the economy and got borrowing down, at every PMQs. And he is.
    There is not a cat in hell's chance of even 0.000001p being shaved off Debt (which as the pledge). The amount being added to debt each month (the deficit) might reduce but that is not what Sunak pledged. (And in fact the deficit rose to in the last published figures which were for Q2 2023.)

in a video posted on X after the autumn statement Sunak said “debt is falling”. Later in November he told MPs at PMQs “we have indeed reduced debt”.

No 10 tried to justify Sunak’s “is falling” comment by saying he was referring to what was forecast to happen in 2028. 🫣

26m agoSunak rebuked by UK's statistics watchdog for making misleading claim about government debt falling

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/dec/19/michael-gove-sadiq-khan-housebuilding-planning-policy-england-rishi-sunak-scotland-budget-keir-starmer-uk-politics-latest?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6581c16d8f087b322e46368e#block-6581c16d8f087b322e46368e
    Indeed. I can today announce that I have lost a couple of stone in 2024.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

They're being a bunch of constitutionally illiterate wet Jessies.

In both cases, ministers and officials remain in post throughout; in the US, Biden and all his crew retain full powers through to 20 Jan 2025, lame duck or not, election trail or not. And GCHQ / NSA and whoever will be little affected by an election.

Yes, new Labour ministers would be new and untested but they will have been having briefings from the start of next year, and will be barely less experienced than a whole load of Tory ministers have been over the last 4-5 years.

Planning elections around mental hobgoblins of the FSB's shadows would be nuts.
    Is 'constitutionally illiterate' a thing when there's no written constitution?

Or do you mean these people are inherently unable to read?
  • Options

The Budget is normally early/mid March so can be used as a 'tax manifesto' and this fits in well with the election timing outlined by you
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited December 2023
    Scottish Income Tax:

Effective marginal rate between £100,000 and £125,140 is actually 69.5%.

ie: 45% + 22.5% + 2% (NI) = 69.5%

Rest of UK = 40% + 20% + 2% = 62%

Second component in Scotland is 22.5% and not 20% because each extra pound taxed is taxed at 45%, not 40%!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

A friend of mine gets his hair cut at a Turkish barber* in Ireland (where he lives - he doesn't make a special trip).
    He was telling us about not liking the bit of a haircut where 'they set fire to your ears'. We all looked at him in incomprehension, before his wife piped up 'No wonder your so reluctant to get your haircut'.

*as opposed to a barber who just happens to be Turkish. Round here practically everyone who cuts hair professionally appears to be from somewhere just beyond Bulgaria. No idea why. Presumably hair and the need for it to be cut is universal; it seems unlikely that a region would emerge with a specialism for it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Omnium said:

More this

Quite probably.

What do you want?
    "A quiet flight?"
    "That's what you want now. What do you want generally? Why do all this work, what are you aiming for? What do you want to achieve? What do you want?"
    "We'e in a plane. I can hardly leave here until you've answered my question. What do you want?"
    "To be left alone."
    "All right, fine. You really want to know what I want? You really want to know the truth?"

"We used to be great. We built cars, ships, planes, spacecraft, starships and made them fly and spin. We lit them, painted them and filmed them, on rolling roads and shining wires. We built objects of great beauty and persuaded the world they were real. We created images that looked like nothing before or since, and they were utterly, utterly wonderful. We gave the world beauty...and now we don't. I want us to be what we used to be. I want, I want it all back the way that it was. Does that answer your question?"

Netter gaped, lost for words. Was this what Thornton wanted? A renaissance of...what? The British special effects industry? Modelmaking? His own reputation? Whatever it was, it was clear that Thornton was gripped by his own muse, and...

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/valen-in-vancouver.293668/#post-8632229
    My favourite scene from B5 (apart from Vir assassinating [redacted spoilers].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWE43m9SL4I
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,053
    rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

Believe you would be
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,813
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Alarming story - but I'm always wary of barbers I haven't been to before.

A haircut is rarely a pleasant experience, and the best you can hope for is that it's over as quickly as possible.
    I think it's that cape they put over you. Deprives you of your arms. Just doesn't feel right.
    I once had a haircut take that long. The issue was that the barber refused, as a point of principle, to use a number 1, 2 etc, but instead used his own judgement. He'd been taught at barber school that using a numbered grading was a lazy shortcut for less skilled barbers. As a consequence of which I ended up with a less good haircut, though I of course admired his skill in managing a half-decent approximation of a number 1 on back and sides.

Nowadays I cut my own hair with clippers. Wish I'd started years ago.
    Cheeky. No reduced clipper rate either doing that.

I mix it up - go to the barbers every 2-3 goes to make sure the lines are up to scratch. The only danger for me with some of the cheaper barbers is that they'll give you those minimal simpleton sideburns.And such lines definitely aren't up to scratch.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

What defines overseas?
    Anything that requires a (small) boat to get to
  • Options

Though having Rishi out of the country might be a benefit to the Conservative campaign.
    If Churchill and Attlee could get through the rather more important Potsdam conference in 1945, I'm sure Sunak can handle a couple of days away from the campaign trail, photo-opping on the other side of the world. Summits happen regularly; other than the location this time, CHOGMs are among the easier.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Given his size, that's inevitable, though.
    You have to give him credit for his Umbrella lipsync, however. Total commitment.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brq-exSvB7Q
  • Options

FEWER grrr
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited December 2023
    These Scottish income tax rates really are something.

Rest of UK - higher rate of 40% starts at £50,270.

Scotland - higher rate is 42% and starts at £43,633.

Scotland then has a 45% rate from £75,000 to £125,140.

Rest of UK top rate (above £125,140) is 45%.

Scotland top rate (above £125,140) is 48%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67759418
  • Options

May 3… when the Tories sneak an unexpected overall majority and a certain type of leftie believes it’s not possible and it must have been fixed by the Russians…
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2023
    kinabalu said:

When I lived in your neck of the woods, I used Flaxenptootch in Kentish Town for all my hairdressing needs. The owner, Michael I think, seems a really nice guy. It’s an art gallery at night I think and they sometimes have concerts on too

Well this was all true 16 years ago anyway
  • Options

viewcode said:

Omnium said:

More this

Quite probably.

What do you want?
    "A quiet flight?"
    "To be left alone."

My favourite scene from B5 (apart from Vir assassinating [redacted spoilers].

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWE43m9SL4I
    I missed the technomage/Mollari dialogue the first time round... :(
    • Technomage: As I look at you, Ambasador Mollari, I see a great hand reaching out of the stars. The hand is your hand. And I hear sound; the sounds of billions of people calling your name.
    • Mollari: My followers?
    • Technomage: Your victims.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbvqxZmTGLc
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I think you should if you plan to vote Labour. If not, hmmm, I'm really not sure of the rules, maybe best to play it safe and assume you're not eligible.
    I'm in the Holborn and St Pancras constituency, so my vote could be the crucial difference between Keir Starmer getting 69.99% or instead cracking that psychologically important 70% barrier.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    kinabalu said:

25 minutes plus for a haircut? My avatar is wildly inappropriate, but 15-20 minutes is plenty.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    edited December 2023

If Churchill and Attlee could get through the rather more important Potsdam conference in 1945, I'm sure Sunak can handle a couple of days away from the campaign trail, photo-opping on the other side of the world. Summits happen regularly; other than the location this time, CHOGMs are among the easier.
    "We want Samoa" is probably the best slogan they can hope for.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I would have thought you are perfectly at liberty to register and vote.

Wasn't there a rather cunning plan in 1992 to register Conservative voting South African residents (with UK citizenship) in convenient seats?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pro_Rata said:

[snip] minimal simpleton sideburns

Phrase of the day. Three words I have never seen lined up together before. Bravo.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

What defines overseas?
    Anything that requires a (small) boat to get to
    The Isle of Man?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141
    rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I'm in the Holborn and St Pancras constituency, so my vote could be the crucial difference between Keir Starmer getting 69.99% or instead cracking that psychologically important 70% barrier.
    I personally know only two people who have contested Parliamentary elections. Both of them, quite separately and at different elections for different parties, contested Holborn & St Pancras. Both lost. The quality of my anecdata continues to amaze.
  • Options

Indeed. I can today announce that I have lost a couple of stone in 2024.
    How many managers and transfer spending will Chelsea get through by 2028? Surely Rishi can tell us 🫣
  • Options
    My predictions for Labour post the election are, assuming a win.

They will get a very easy first year and will remain significantly ahead in the polls. If things aren't improving going into year two, they will start to go backwards assuming the Tories don't eat themselves, otherwise it's very possible "sensible" is enough and the Tories lose more badly the second time.

I think we are in for 10 years of Labour Government but I've thought that since SKS was elected (originally I thought it would be Lab/Lib Dems then Labour alone).

Most radical things they will go I think are, Great British Energy, planning reform and HoL reform assuming they get to 10 years. PR I think is a possibility right at the end of a second term but won't be a priority.

For my own selfish reasons, I would like them to update planning to allow taller masts to be built and to allow masts to be built next to the railway. I would mandate 100% coverage of all lines by 2030 which shouldn't be difficult as Network Rail already achieved it, just force them to give up their assets.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

Quick question.

I personally know only two people who have contested Parliamentary elections. Both of them, quite separately and at different elections for different parties, contested Holborn & St Pancras. Both lost. The quality of my anecdata continues to amaze.
    I've done three parliamentary elections - but none in Holborn & St Pancras.

On the substantive point for @rcs1000, email Camden Council - they will let you know if you are on the register, and if not will confirm if you are eligible to be on the register and send you the forms.
This discussion has been closed.