Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The next Chancellor – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov
    This week's 'best PM' score for Rishi Sunak is his lowest to date

Rishi Sunak: 18% (-3 from 29-30 Nov)
    Keir Starmer: 31% (-3)
    Neither: 47% (+6)

You might agree with much of Cummings’ assessment:

https://x.com/dominic2306/status/1733077294531416078

delusion after delusion. this isn't 'bad spads/process', it's a PM full on living in a parallel world - he cannot accept he was wrong when he was told explicitly & repeatedly 'your policy cannot & won't work & it's a political disaster' - he's now pretending he's 'blocking' the courts when he very obviously is not & his policy/Bill very obviously leaves the ECHR/HRA framework in control

he's so monumentally botched it he is BOTH *in breach of ECHR* AND leaving the ECHR *in actual control*! and BOTH roused the dominant Left network to smash him AND isn't seriously trying to solve the problem! so 100% on brand for establishment Tories, 'the grownups' as the IfG calls them

he will not 'stop the boats', it's already game over for the fake rwanda gimmick & the PM has wasted 2022 & left himself no time

there will be a useless attempt in 2024 to claim he's been 'sabotaged' by Lords/courts & 'this is what the election is about', they'll pathetically try to use Take Back Control, but it won't work

tories doomed if they keep him & doomed if they spasm & fire him
    He does get quite intense, Dom, doesn't he. It's like he's living in a world bounded by UnHerd polemics rather than the earth and sky.

My tip for Sunak would be to stop appearing at lecterns imprinted with Stop The Boats! It just looks ineffably naff. He's our PM ffs.
    The Stop The Boats lectern is like something from Brass Eye. Every time I see it I have to remind myself that we are a G7 economy.
    Dominic Cummings is such a loon, too. Brexit really did usher in a deeply unserious, infantile and hysterical type of politics. I really hope we can turn a page on this kind of nonsense soon.
    I'm hopeful. It's one of the best things about Keir that he's stolid and serious.
    Stolid ?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,145

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

Not sure. You would think Austerity Reeves looks a good price unless we have a last minute reshuffle

After the Karma for Starmer event yesterday in Glasgow i am not so sure.

According to a news report i heard last night a LAB insider said. "It got to the stage with Tony (Blair) towards the end of his Premiership that Lab HQ advised him not to do Public appearances for fear of hostile crowds. Its a concern we are at that stage with Keir in the run up to the GE, when he hasn't even been PM"

Corbyn of course was doorstepped all the time but from the shitting himself expression from SKS and his General inability to engage with anyone he hasn't personally selected.Watching SKS perform will be amusing to say the least

Tories are such a hopeless mess though so expect PM SKS is still likely.

Starmer's ratings are nothing like as bad as late Blair. FWIW, I think Labour is being overly cautious in their approach, including Starmer's public appearances. However, he's not going to be outshone by either Sunak or Davey (never mind whichever committee is 'leading' the Greens this week).

And with several more 20+ point Labour leads in the polls today, Labour could well be looking at a majority well into three figures. Were the election today, it might be over 200.
    He was unusually witty at PMQs this week although fish, barrels and guns aimed at your own feet come to mind in terms of what he was up against. I think he should be a bit braver.
    Doh! The braver man is on the other side

Persuadable to cross the floor with a promise to really, really make her dream come true under a Labour government? :wink:
    What is Suella's dream?

Unimaginable power? Unlimited rice pudding?
    Utter delusion sadly

Apparently the Express has a readers poll for next conservative leader with Farage first, Braverman 2nd, and Johnson 3rd

Was Rory Stewart placed (just out of curiosity)?
    Who
    He did a thing once. I'm sure it was very important to somebody. He does podcasts and YouTubes now. Occasionally people watch. Perhaps he has a Patreon. He seems to spend a lot of time on them.
    Lots and lots of people watch or listen to The Rest Is Politics. Their live shows sell out in minutes. There must be some sort of broadcasting mega-genius behind The Rest Is..., a modern-day Lord Reith.
    In response to the hype I listened to a couple. It was ok but I was slightly disappointed.
    I've not listened to it. I've always found Rory Stewart to be the kind of person I try to like but can't, while Campbell is the kind of person I try to dislike but can't.
    I hadn't listened to it until recently. I found it quite good. My initial inclinations were similar to yours, but I found myself quite liking them both.

Of course, as far as a lot of people here are concerned they are both probably dangerous subversives and should be strung up. So there's another recommendation for you.
  • Options
    Can I put in a word for Simon Clarke? The boy looks lost in the post Liz world. And he was Chief Secretary for half an hour. That makes him experienced.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

delusion after delusion. this isn't 'bad spads/process', it's a PM full on living in a parallel world - he cannot accept he was wrong when he was told explicitly & repeatedly 'your policy cannot & won't work & it's a political disaster' - he's now pretending he's 'blocking' the courts when he very obviously is not & his policy/Bill very obviously leaves the ECHR/HRA framework in control

he's so monumentally botched it he is BOTH *in breach of ECHR* AND leaving the ECHR *in actual control*! and BOTH roused the dominant Left network to smash him AND isn't seriously trying to solve the problem! so 100% on brand for establishment Tories, 'the grownups' as the IfG calls them

he will not 'stop the boats', it's already game over for the fake rwanda gimmick & the PM has wasted 2022 & left himself no time

there will be a useless attempt in 2024 to claim he's been 'sabotaged' by Lords/courts & 'this is what the election is about', they'll pathetically try to use Take Back Control, but it won't work

He does get quite intense, Dom, doesn't he. It's like he's living in a world bounded by UnHerd polemics rather than the earth and sky.

My tip for Sunak would be to stop appearing at lecterns imprinted with Stop The Boats! It just looks ineffably naff. He's our PM ffs.
    There's some perfectly good writing on unherd. Cummings is just best ignored.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

We should do a deal to build their kit under licence.
    Crap like Ajax is a huge waste of taxpayers' money. And would be a liability if we ever had to fight a war.

Hanwha signs $2.4 bil. deal to export infantry fighting vehicles to Australia
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=364725

Odd that it's 129 vehicles, and my word they're pricey. What does Ajax cost?
    Several billion for no vehicles, so far.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
    Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

Crap like Ajax is a huge waste of taxpayers' money. And would be a liability if we ever had to fight a war.

According to Wikipedia, around £5.5bn so far. Don't get me started on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_Ajax
    https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/uk/modern/ajax-reconnaissance-tank-apc
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,334

Scott_xP said:

@johnestevens

Exclusive: Tory CEO Stephen Massey held all-staff call today and said they're getting advice from sister parties on how to bounce back after a heavy defeat

Sources say it went down like a "lead balloon"... "We are f**ked"

https://x.com/johnestevens/status/1733158852927934933?s=20

Sister parties? Heavy defeat?
    Canadian Conservatives?
    CDU?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

Not sure. You would think Austerity Reeves looks a good price unless we have a last minute reshuffle

According to a news report i heard last night a LAB insider said. "It got to the stage with Tony (Blair) towards the end of his Premiership that Lab HQ advised him not to do Public appearances for fear of hostile crowds. Its a concern we are at that stage with Keir in the run up to the GE, when he hasn't even been PM"

Corbyn of course was doorstepped all the time but from the shitting himself expression from SKS and his General inability to engage with anyone he hasn't personally selected.Watching SKS perform will be amusing to say the least

Starmer's ratings are nothing like as bad as late Blair. FWIW, I think Labour is being overly cautious in their approach, including Starmer's public appearances. However, he's not going to be outshone by either Sunak or Davey (never mind whichever committee is 'leading' the Greens this week).

And with several more 20+ point Labour leads in the polls today, Labour could well be looking at a majority well into three figures. Were the election today, it might be over 200.
    He was unusually witty at PMQs this week although fish, barrels and guns aimed at your own feet come to mind in terms of what he was up against. I think he should be a bit braver.

Persuadable to cross the floor with a promise to really, really make her dream come true under a Labour government? :wink:
    What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Apparently the Express has a readers poll for next conservative leader with Farage first, Braverman 2nd, and Johnson 3rd

Who
    Sorry - I forgot how prevalent Alzheimer's was among the Tory party membership.
    I would just say I do not have Alzheimer's but if your loved one had, you would not joke about it
    Sorry, I forgot how pompous you were.

Next time don't try to be funny by pretending to forget who people are, if you want to be precious about dementia.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    viewcode said:

Omnium said:

Nigelb said:

According to Wikipedia, around £5.5bn so far. Don't get me started on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_Ajax
    https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/uk/modern/ajax-reconnaissance-tank-apc
    Ok so from that '589 Scout SV vehicles, totalling a cost of £3.5 billion excluding VAT'

Does the MoD really pay VAT? Six Million a pop!? (We could get the Bionic man for that, and save on the currency)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who
    He did a thing once. I'm sure it was very important to somebody. He does podcasts and YouTubes now. Occasionally people watch. Perhaps he has a Patreon. He seems to spend a lot of time on them.
    Lots and lots of people watch or listen to The Rest Is Politics. Their live shows sell out in minutes. There must be some sort of broadcasting mega-genius behind The Rest Is..., a modern-day Lord Reith.
    In response to the hype I listened to a couple. It was ok but I was slightly disappointed.
    I've not listened to it. I've always found Rory Stewart to be the kind of person I try to like but can't, while Campbell is the kind of person I try to dislike but can't.
    Ha yes, I know what you mean. Gun to head I prefer Campbell of the two. Stewart's a bit 'born to rule' for my taste and I sense a kind of dessicated vanity there.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

The Stop The Boats lectern is like something from Brass Eye. Every time I see it I have to remind myself that we are a G7 economy.
    Dominic Cummings is such a loon, too. Brexit really did usher in a deeply unserious, infantile and hysterical type of politics. I really hope we can turn a page on this kind of nonsense soon.
    I'm hopeful. It's one of the best things about Keir that he's stolid and serious.
    Stolid ?
    Yes, but I mean 'calm and possessed' not the pudding.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who
    I would just say I do not have Alzheimer's but if your loved one had, you would not joke about it

Next time don't try to be funny by pretending to forget who people are, if you want to be precious about dementia.
    It is not pompous or precious when you have held a loved one as they die in you home after suffering Alzheimer's and not knowing who you or your family are

Indeed both my son in laws parents died last year without knowing their children or family

• Options

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

There is. But it mainly seems to be about a created-for-polemic world rather than this one I'm living in.
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

It is not pompous or precious when you have held a loved one as they die in you home after suffering Alzheimer's and not knowing who you or your family are

Indeed both my son in laws parents died last year without knowing their children or family

So did you really not remember who Rory Stewart was, or were you just making a joke out of forgetfulness?

Think about it, and reflect how few people haven't had personal experience of dementia.

If there's one thing that gets my goat, it's this kind of self-righteous hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

So did you really not remember who Rory Stewart was, or were you just making a joke out of forgetfulness?

Think about it, and reflect how few people haven't had personal experience of dementia.

If there's one thing that gets my goat, it's this kind of self-righteous hypocrisy.
    As far as Rory Stewart he had a higher profile some years ago but joking about it is not remotely comparable with joking about the devastating effect Alzheimer's has every day across this land
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who
    Ha yes, I know what you mean. Gun to head I prefer Campbell of the two. Stewart's a bit 'born to rule' for my taste and I sense a kind of dessicated vanity there.
    Stewart is just Mr Smug. I rather distrust such people, but on the other had he's very good. I think overall that there is no real appeal in these self-publicists.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

Don't be mean to Big_G.
    He has his idiosyncrasies, but unlike most of us, he is devoid of malice.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Off topic, but I got so much grim enjoyment from this cartoon about the Loser, that I wanted to share it: https://www.gocomics.com/michaelramirez/2023/12/07

Who/what is the elephant in this context?
    Grand Old Party. Ever since the cartoons of Thomas Nast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Nast
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 836
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who
    Given Big G’s admissions of health problems on here that’s pretty crass Chris.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    Whoever is in charge won't do a good job Tory or Labour. You have to go all the way back to Ken Clarke for a Good Chancellor.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909

I don't think anyone gives a f**k what a bunch of angry, antisemites on loudspeakers think about Keir Starmer.
    I think you will find he will operating from underground tunnels for a while.

Its a funny old world where people concerned about the killing of 7,000+ Children are labelled as Antisemites by people like you whilst the bloke who has given it the Green light is somehow wronged by our Democracy.

I suggest that the poll that shows 75% of those polled want a ceasefire and only 10% believe Israel should be of interest to you and SKS. I think many of the 75% give a fuck not 0% as suggested by you
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,913
    edited December 2023
    OT. 'Dirty Old Town' was written about Salford!

Appropriate but didn't everyone think it was written about Dublin?
  • Options

According to Nadine's book, Michael Gove has been running the show for the past 20 years or more so if he can't get himself into Number 11, what's the bloody point?

It would be the hat-trick as Chancellor for him as he previously been The Lord Chancellor and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.

I wonder if anyone has ever achieved the Chancellor hat-trick? I'm guessing not as the Lord Chancellor was a non partisan role until Blair's assault on the constitution.
    No it wasn't.
    Yes it was, he tried to abolish the role of Lord Chancellor in a reshuffle until it was pointed to him he would need to pass primary legislation to abolish the role.
    What was really funny was that he didn't realise that if he just abolished the position then no laws could be passed by Parliament.
    Was amused me the most was that Blair read Jurisprudence at Oxford, honestly what the hell are they teaching at that place?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079

viewcode said:

Off topic, but I got so much grim enjoyment from this cartoon about the Loser, that I wanted to share it: https://www.gocomics.com/michaelramirez/2023/12/07

@Selebian, @geoffw, @Stark_Dawning, @SeaShantyIrish2

Yes, I should have worked that out for myself. I feel like such a donkey... :)

• Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

As far as Rory Stewart he had a higher profile some years ago but joking about it is not remotely comparable with joking about the devastating effect Alzheimer's has every day across this land
    You really don't see it, do you?

You try to make a joke by pretending to have forgotten who someone is for comic effect - but if anyone else responds to your silliness by making a reference to Alzheimer's, you act all outraged, and - perhaps more offensively - act as though you're the only one who has suffered because of dementia.

Maybe best to avoid trying to make a joke out of it in the first place?
  • Options

I'm with you and Corbyn, BJO. Starmer is a very bad man. Rishi to win the election then Suella or Honest Bob Jenrick for sine die PM after a quick putsch.
    No that too would be a bad outcome
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

Don't be mean to Big_G.
    Though strongly suspect Big G keeps a 5-pound note tucked in his sock for emergencies.
  • Options

According to Nadine's book, Michael Gove has been running the show for the past 20 years or more so if he can't get himself into Number 11, what's the bloody point?

It would be the hat-trick as Chancellor for him as he previously been The Lord Chancellor and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster.

I wonder if anyone has ever achieved the Chancellor hat-trick? I'm guessing not as the Lord Chancellor was a non partisan role until Blair's assault on the constitution.
    No it wasn't.
    Yes it was, he tried to abolish the role of Lord Chancellor in a reshuffle until it was pointed to him he would need to pass primary legislation to abolish the role.
    What was really funny was that he didn't realise that if he just abolished the position then no laws could be passed by Parliament.
    Was amused me the most was that Blair read Jurisprudence at Oxford, honestly what the hell are they teaching at that place?
    It's always been a mixed bag, but the TV Brideshead just nailed it as flam only.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

There is. But it mainly seems to be about a created-for-polemic world rather than this one I'm living in.
    Of course there is, it's bankrolled by the same guy who funds GB News and Legatum. There is money being spent in furtherance of an agenda. The creation of alternate realities.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,860
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

You try to make a joke by pretending to have forgotten who someone is for comic effect - but if anyone else responds to your silliness by making a reference to Alzheimer's, you act all outraged, and - perhaps more offensively - act as though you're the only one who has suffered because of dementia.

Stop being a total dick though I know it comes naturally, pretending to forget someone who has not been mainstream is in no way trying to pretend you have dementia.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    edited December 2023
    Omnium said:

No it wasn't.
    It's always been a mixed bag, but the TV Brideshead just nailed it as flam only.
    Somebody asked on the last thread if there was a risk with the proliferation of degrees that we might confuse a law degree from Cambridge with a tourism degree from Glasgow Cal.

I don't think this is likely.

One is a shitty degree from a place with a dubious reputation that is given to anyone who pays cash for it, no matter how thick, which is fit only to be used in a job with long hours, terrible conditions and zero job security.

The other sets you up for a career in tourism.
  • Options
    Putin: my advent calendar's a bit plain.

Aide: Sorry Your Supreme Mightiness, you said you wanted something to remind you of Prigozhin.
  • Options
    I know I come out with some interesting analogies but

The head coach of American football team Buffalo Bills used the September 11 hijackers as an example of teamwork in a talk with his players.

Sean McDermott has publicly apologised for making the reference during a training camp four years ago and insisted that he “immediately” said sorry to his team after doing so.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/american-football/2023/12/08/buffalo-bills-head-coach-sean-mcdermott-911-hijackers/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028
    edited December 2023
    Roger said:

It was popularised by Shane MacGowan who was…

… a public schoolboy from Kent
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

Stop being a total dick though I know it comes naturally, pretending to forget someone who has not been mainstream is in no way trying to pretend you have dementia.
    I agree it's not. The thing that's ridiculous is to pretend to be forgetful for comic effect - however silly - and then, when someone else makes the obvious comment, to jump on a high horse and start yelling "How very dare you!"

And, I repeat - having tried to make a joke out of forgetfulness in the first place - to try to make out other people haven't suffered from dementia. That really _is_ offensive.
  • Options

I know I come out with some interesting analogies but

The head coach of American football team Buffalo Bills used the September 11 hijackers as an example of teamwork in a talk with his players.

Sean McDermott has publicly apologised for making the reference during a training camp four years ago and insisted that he “immediately” said sorry to his team after doing so.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/american-football/2023/12/08/buffalo-bills-head-coach-sean-mcdermott-911-hijackers/

Impressed this took four years to come to light given US sentiments about Sept 11.
  • Options

No it wasn't.
    Tony was all music and girls at Oxford, is what I've heard. Then 30 years later he's shaking the kaleidoscope and invading Iraq. Quite the journey.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,686
    edited December 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

@Selebian, @geoffw, @Stark_Dawning, @SeaShantyIrish2

Yes, I should have worked that out for myself. I feel like such a donkey... :)

Note that before the Democratic donkey came into vogue, that party's symbol was (and in some place still is, officially) the fighting chicken (or cock IF you prefer that sort of thing).

Addendum - Symbol for the (American) Whig Party was the raccoon. Which explains Davy Crockett's coon-skin cap, as he was briefly a Whig congressman from Tennessee.

Symbol of the short-lived Progressive Party of Theodore Roosevelt was the Bull Moose, thanks to speech he gave upon announcing his 1912 third-party POTUS bid.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Pagan2 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

I agree it's not. The thing that's ridiculous is to pretend to be forgetful for comic effect - however silly - and then, when someone else makes the obvious comment, to jump on a high horse and start yelling "How very dare you!"

And, I repeat - having tried to make a joke out of forgetfulness in the first place - to try to make out other people haven't suffered from dementia. That really _is_ offensive.
    When you’re in a hole…
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No it wasn't.
    Tony was all music and girls at Oxford, is what I've heard. Then 30 years later he's shaking the kaleidoscope and invading Iraq. Quite the journey.
    From a rocker start to a rocky finish?
  • Options
    Last Night my Daughter went to a Secret Screening and although she has zero interest in football told me she enjoyed the film following the Worst ever World Cup defeat which i had no idea about.

Film was about the team that lost 31-0 in a WC Qualifier in 2001 and how by 2011 they managed a win 2-1in a WC Qualifier

Anyone else know the story?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    kinabalu said:

No it wasn't.
    I REALLY wish he hadn’t got mixed up …… got UK mixed up with ……. the Iraq war! If he’d listened to Charlie Kennedy he’d have been in a much better place!
    And Kennedy just might have kept off the booze.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,051
    A new essay by Boris Johnson.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12842645/BORIS-JOHNSON-america-help-ukraine-win-alone.html

"BORIS JOHNSON: Across the world, democracies and autocracies are engaged in a huge arm wrestle. If America and Britain let Putin win in Ukraine, it'll spur on the copycat chaos-makers"
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,322
    isam said:

Roger said:

Well, he was born in Kent because his parents were over from Ireland visiting family for Christmas. They were living in Tipperary at the time. I’m not sure that qualifies as “from Kent”.

They moved to London when he was five and he later spent under two years at Westminster on a scholarship before being kicked out for taking drugs. So I guess he just about qualifies as a public schoolboy but The Duke of Wellington’s comment about his being born in Dublin springs to mind.
  • Options

Last Night my Daughter went to a Secret Screening and although she has zero interest in football told me she enjoyed the film following the Worst ever World Cup defeat which i had no idea about.

Film was about the team that lost 31-0 in a WC Qualifier in 2001 and how by 2011 they managed a win 2-1in a WC Qualifier

It was an African team wasn’t it?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

Don't be mean to Big_G.
    Though strongly suspect Big G keeps a 5-pound note tucked in his sock for emergencies.
    And a shiv. He has a dark side. Don’t cross him.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Aide: Sorry Your Supreme Mightiness, you said you wanted something to remind you of Prigozhin.

This year I decided to buy a Russian advent calendar.

But every time I open a window, an oligarch falls out.
    Father Jack, what's behind tomorrow's advent calendar window?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36wKlbgeTrk
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Well, he was born in Kent because his parents were over from Ireland visiting family for Christmas. They were living in Tipperary at the time. I’m not sure that qualifies as “from Kent”.

They moved to London when he was five and he later spent under two years at Westminster on a scholarship before being kicked out for taking drugs. So I guess he just about qualifies as a public schoolboy but The Duke of Wellington’s comment about his being born in Dublin springs to mind.
    Sorry I took Holmewood House to be a public school as well

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmewood_House_School
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Of course there is, it's bankrolled by the same guy who funds GB News and Legatum. There is money being spent in furtherance of an agenda. The creation of alternate realities.
    Ah ok. Yes it shows. It works too. If you don't occasionally come up for air and give yourself a slap you might end up buying into some of the 'takes'. What particularly irritates is seeing self-proclaimed lefties writing on there. Presenting as 'free thinkers' but in reality just paying the rent. No crime but ... well as I say it irritates.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Pagan2 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

My father has dementia I was offended by your comment, people can be forgetful without dementia. Fuck off
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Ah ok. Yes it shows. It works too. If you don't occasionally come up for air and give yourself a slap you might end up buying into some of the 'takes'. What particularly irritates is seeing self-proclaimed lefties writing on there. Presenting as 'free thinkers' but in reality just paying the rent. No crime but ... well as I say it irritates.
    Nice to see some of our left wing posters showing their true colours when it comes to freedom of thought and speech.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Chris said:

Pagan2 said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

DavidL said:

What is Suella's dream?

Utter delusion sadly

Who

My father has dementia I was offended by your comment, people can be forgetful without dementia. Fuck off
    Fine.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Nice to see some of our left wing posters showing their true colours when it comes to freedom of thought and speech.
    Hang on I'm not censoring anybody! I'm just opining on a particular type of material that irritates. Which actually proves I'm reading it. Otherwise it wouldn't irritate.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,366

Just googled it expecting it to be a Caribbean side.
  • Options
    @maxh....thank you for your like, i am sorry I don't like sneering snidey comments about people having dementia, they are no different to labelling someone you consider stupid a retard
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,529
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Well you can be left wing on some issues (like tax and spend) without buying into the whole Laboury worldview - just as you can be right wing on some issues without nevessarily agreeing with HYUFD on every issue (though he will tell you you aren't a real Tory :-) )
  • Options

ydoethur said:

This year I decided to buy a Russian advent calendar.

But every time I open a window, an oligarch falls out.
    Father Jack, what's behind tomorrow's advent calendar window?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36wKlbgeTrk
    I was expecting him to shout DRINK!!!
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Well you can be left wing on some issues (like tax and spend) without buying into the whole Laboury worldview - just as you can be right wing on some issues without nevessarily agreeing with HYUFD on every issue (though he will tell you you aren't a real Tory :-) )
    Tories are not right wing in any case

Look at what they do not what they say is the rule

High tax
    High spend
    High immigration
    Authoritarian rather than liberal

This is the furtherest left wing governement I have ever lived through
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No it wasn't.
    I REALLY wish he hadn’t got mixed up …… got UK mixed up with ……. the Iraq war! If he’d listened to Charlie Kennedy he’d have been in a much better place!
    That's a vastly preferable alternate reality. We don't invade Iraq and Charles Kennedy doesn't succumb to the bottle.
    There have been many alternate realities in my life. Most of them preferable to what actually happened!
    However I’m here.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,859
    Taz said:

Isn't it some south sea island nation?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

High tax
    High spend
    High immigration

It’s true, yet the Labour supporters criticise them for doing things they’d cheer for if they didn’t know it was Tories doing it. They’ll cheer when Labour reduce spending and immigration when they get into power too.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

He was criticising something he read. He merely said it “irritates”. Like so many on the right you conflate criticism with an attempt to silence. That way bad things lie.
  • Options
    Blimey, some of us are very easily offended. Probably not a good idea for you to ever go to a decent stand up show.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

High tax
    High spend
    High immigration

Furthest.
  • Options
    isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Private prep school. Not at all the same thing.
  • Options

Blimey, some of us are very easily offended. Probably not a good idea for you to ever go to a decent stand up show.

Are you saying I’m too thin skinned to go to a comedy club? Do you know how upsetting I find that kind of accusation?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,201
    I’ve only just seen the footage of Starmer in Glasgow. How on earth does anyone arrive at the conclusion that Starmer is responsible for the situation in Gaza?

https://x.com/afrazzledscot/status/1732834550986813678
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Yes, eg me, I'm a woke class warrior yet also enamoured of sound money and balanced budgets. A free thinker in other words. But I wouldn't write for an organ pushing an alt right worldview.
  • Options

I’ve only just seen the footage of Starmer in Glasgow. How on earth does anyone arrive at the conclusion that Starmer is responsible for the situation in Gaza?

I think we should consider the possibility and indeed probability that they are completely irrational.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178

Roger said:

No. Ewan MacColl sang it about his hometown. Probably before you were born

• Options
    edited December 2023
    DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

Roger said:

It’s not the kind of place you’d have expected him to have gone to though. Private prep school then Westminster.

I take it you were a fan of his rough and ready image?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,393
    HYUFD said:

Gorgeous Tories smashing election donations out of the park. Labour slacking at a third of the Tory total for three months. Everyone loves the Tories!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/07/conservatives-labour-election-fund-john-sainsbury

Though most of that was the £10 million John Sainsbury left the Tories in his will
    I knew the Tory vote was elderly. It would appear they are also the party of choice for the dead.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

No it wasn't.
    That's a vastly preferable alternate reality. We don't invade Iraq and Charles Kennedy doesn't succumb to the bottle.
    There have been many alternate realities in my life. Most of them preferable to what actually happened!
    However I’m here.
    Which is not an unimportant point though 🙂

But yes I know what you mean. The roads not travelled.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

No it wasn't.
    From a rocker start to a rocky finish?
    And pop went his reputation.
  • Options

Because he is. Boooooo. BOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,859
    DougSeal said:

isam said:

DougSeal said:

isam said:

Roger said:

Yes, very supportive of the state system, Prep Schools. How on earth else are you going to get your middle-middle class plank of thicket into a good state grammar.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,029
    Pro_Rata said:

Taz said:

Isn't it some south sea island nation?
    I automatically thought it was Scotland.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

High tax
    High spend
    High immigration

Furthest.
    You understood what I meant, the purpose of writing or speech is to communicate. If you understood what I communicated then who gives a shit about grammar or spelling
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464

HYUFD said:

Gorgeous Tories smashing election donations out of the park. Labour slacking at a third of the Tory total for three months. Everyone loves the Tories!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/07/conservatives-labour-election-fund-john-sainsbury

Though most of that was the £10 million John Sainsbury left the Tories in his will
    I knew the Tory vote was elderly. It would appear they are also the party of choice for the dead.
    The inverse of necrophilia.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Jonestown comes to Glasgow.
  • Options

As any fule kno, the axis of evil of Jezza, Hamas and the Green Brigade are virtually aiming the bombs that have killed 19000 Gazan terrorists alongside a sprinkling of unfortunate civilians.
  • Options
    Sir Keir telling people who hated Thatcher that he’s not a fan really

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-claims-margaret-thatcher-31627316

It’s fair enough to say what he did to the Telegraph; she did effect change, although he was praising her by saying the bit about unleashing the nations entrepreneurialism.

Thing is, it’s like when Farage said Putin was a good political operator; the centrists will just ignore any nuance and take what he said at face value…. Wont they?

https://x.com/lbc/status/1733117977560793118?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

• Options
    geoffw said:

Roger said:

No. Ewan MacColl sang it about his hometown. Probably before you were born

Working, immediately after college, close to the border between Manchester and Salford and courting a girl from Rochdale I knew EXACTLY where the Dirty Old Town was.
  • Options
    isam said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/keir-starmer-claims-margaret-thatcher-31627316

It’s fair enough to say what he did to the Telegraph; she did effect change, although he was praising her by saying the bit about unleashing the nations entrepreneurialism.

Thing is, it’s like when Farage said Putin was a good political operator; the centrists will just ignore any nuance and take what he said at face value…. Wont they?

If I was Sunak (Thank God, I am not), my strategy would be to run as long as GE election campaign as possible so there would be more pressure on SKS to explain exactly what he would do in Government. My guess is both he and Reeves would collapse under relentless questioning.
  • Options

As any fule kno, the axis of evil of Jezza, Hamas and the Green Brigade are virtually aiming the bombs that have killed 19000 Gazan terrorists alongside a sprinkling of unfortunate civilians.
    Come on Divvie, you really what Israel to be eliminated as a nation, why don’t you just let yourself go and say it? Maybe you will inspire Jezza to release his true inner feelings.
  • Options
    isam said:

Quoting part of a speech completely out of context is par for the course for left, right and centre
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Yes, eg me, I'm a woke class warrior yet also enamoured of sound money and balanced budgets. A free thinker in other words. But I wouldn't write for an organ pushing an alt right worldview.
    You are not a free thinker. If it’s generally left wing, you will parrot it.

Or put it another way. Name us a Tory policy with which you agree.
  • Options
    isam said:

I’ll tell you what, I can think of another C20th leader that effected meaningful change upon their country.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Levelling up for me.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,029
    isam said:

Any seats he gains in England by espousing Thatcher will be more than counterbalanced by the seats he will no longer gain in Scotland.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    28th November :

"There's never been a version that I've produced that has names in it," he told the Dutch television show, RTL Boulevard

Today:

Omid Scobie said an "early and uncleared" version of Endgame was sent to the Dutch publisher so work could start on translating.

• Options

isam said:

I’ll tell you what, I can think of another C20th leader that effected meaningful change upon their country.
    Mao or less change than Thatcher?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

28th November :

"There's never been a version that I've produced that has names in it," he told the Dutch television show, RTL Boulevard

Today:

Omid Scobie said an "early and uncleared" version of Endgame was sent to the Dutch publisher so work could start on translating.

Does he have a "Spare" copy?
  • Options

"Israel has that right"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

28th November :

Today:

Good old Scobie-Doo. He really has fucked himself up.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,536
    Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Viewed objectively, the headline news there is the near majority for “neither”.

That we are governed by this shitshow and yet almost half of voters don’t know whether the other guy would be any better, is very telling.

• Options

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

Lower than BoZo...

@YouGov

Levelling up for me.
    Fair enough. I think Kinablu though would be disgusted at the Northern hordes turning up in NW1 and calling for levelling up, starting with his 4/5 bedroom house
This discussion has been closed.