Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Khomeini days have the ayatollahs left ? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,545
    Off thread, but I'm currently on hold to Esure trying to get a bit of minor administration done to tidy up an incident from 14 months ago. Just ticked over the hour mark listening to weirdly distorted gloomy piano music. It can only be specifically designed to make you give up and go away. "We're unusually busy today" - no you're not, I've never got through to this department in under an hour and usually give up after two and a half. Reckon I've spent about 48 hours on hold waiting for Esure to answer the phone over the past 14 months.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392

So in the middle of a couple of wars, a migrant flare up and economic staightjackets Lisa Nandy decides attacking JK Rowling is her priority.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/11/16/lisa-nandy-jk-rowling-trans-transgender-bodily-parts-debate/

People's priorities !!!!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Roger said:

TimS said:

Today I’m due to attend a speed awareness course for incurring the wrath of 20mph Khan.

And it reminds me about that little Braverman story I’d forgotten until now: that she tried to get civil servants to sort her a private speed awareness appointment.

Woman of the people that she is.

I do one of them every three years, Tim.

I enjoy them so much, as soon as the three years is up I go out and speed past the nearest camera and get myself on the next course.
    It taught me quite a lot. I bored everyone to death afterwards...Do you know what the speed limit is on a dual carriageway without a central reservation......
    Isn't this a trick question? A dual carriageway is surely defined by the presence of the division between the carriageways? The national speed limit for a dual carriageway is 70mph.
    No, a road four lanes wide but without a physical central reservation, has a national speed limit of 60mph.
    Yes of course but that isn't a dual carriageway.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026
    Cookie said:

Off thread, but I'm currently on hold to Esure trying to get a bit of minor administration done to tidy up an incident from 14 months ago. Just ticked over the hour mark listening to weirdly distorted gloomy piano music. It can only be specifically designed to make you give up and go away. "We're unusually busy today" - no you're not, I've never got through to this department in under an hour and usually give up after two and a half. Reckon I've spent about 48 hours on hold waiting for Esure to answer the phone over the past 14 months.

Yeah any business that leaves the "unusually busy" msg on indefinitely (Doctors too) should probably be taken out and shot.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

TimS said:

Today I’m due to attend a speed awareness course for incurring the wrath of 20mph Khan.

And it reminds me about that little Braverman story I’d forgotten until now: that she tried to get civil servants to sort her a private speed awareness appointment.

I enjoy them so much, as soon as the three years is up I go out and speed past the nearest camera and get myself on the next course.
    It taught me quite a lot. I bored everyone to death afterwards...Do you know what the speed limit is on a dual carriageway without a central reservation......
    Isn't this a trick question? A dual carriageway is surely defined by the presence of the division between the carriageways? The national speed limit for a dual carriageway is 70mph.
    No, a road four lanes wide but without a physical central reservation, has a national speed limit of 60mph.
    That's not a dual carriageway though. Known in the business as an S4. (Single carriageway, 4 lanes).
    Correct:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits
    Worth adding that going over 60 on an S4 feels in most circumstances very hairy indeed and is definitely not to be encouraged!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Braverman is right. Overrule the judges

Even if you were right (and you are not) the glaring flaw in this cunning plan is that completely destroying the rule of law in this Country will not now, or ever, STOP THE BOATS
    The goal is destroying the rule of law and replacing it with the rule of money. Stopping the boats is just the wedge issue the Tories are using to achieve this goal.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    isam said:

The other day I mentioned how Roger Waters was being branded an anti semite in Germany because he wore a Nazi style outfit during a performance, which had been part of the story of The Wall since 1979 (during a nervous breakdown, the protagonist has delusions of becoming a fascist dictator )

Just found out last night that Sir Keir, as well as Michael Gove, wrote a letter trying to get Roger Waters concerts cancelled for it in Manchester!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12170501/Michael-Gove-Sir-Keir-Starmer-condemn-Pink-Floyds-Roger-Waters-alleged-anti-Semitic-views.html

Seems Waters has been on Starmer’s case since 2020

https://dorseteye.com/roger-waters-my-letter-in-response-to-keir-starmers-labour-party-capitulating-to-the-zionists/

Waters’ recent interview with Joe Rogan gave the game away. He might as well have said “I’m not an anti-Semite, I just don’t think the Jews should have their own country”.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,719
    Ok this js actually quite a nice little spot. Just noticed I am 30 foot from a beach shack cocktail bar, facing the sunset

It’s 28C. Barely any humidity. Soft music floats over the sugar palms, I hear languid laughter of suntanned people on the white sand beach

• Options
    isam said:

The other day I mentioned how Roger Waters was being branded an anti semite in Germany because he wore a Nazi style outfit during a performance, which had been part of the story of The Wall since 1979 (during a nervous breakdown, the protagonist has delusions of becoming a fascist dictator )

Just found out last night that Sir Keir, as well as Michael Gove, wrote a letter trying to get Roger Waters concerts cancelled for it in Manchester!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12170501/Michael-Gove-Sir-Keir-Starmer-condemn-Pink-Floyds-Roger-Waters-alleged-anti-Semitic-views.html

https://dorseteye.com/roger-waters-my-letter-in-response-to-keir-starmers-labour-party-capitulating-to-the-zionists/

That's troubling. Rog is famous and controversy seeking enough for politicians to call him out as a dick. That's fair enough. But cancelling his concerts? Who decides this and what is their criteria?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Yeah any business that leaves the "unusually busy" msg on indefinitely (Doctors too) should probably be taken out and shot.
    Not that I disagree, but it tends to make the wait time even longer.
  • Options
    I WILL GET IN THE SEA
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

TimS said:

That's not a dual carriageway though. Known in the business as an S4. (Single carriageway, 4 lanes).
    How many 'real' roads are like that though? Most of them must be busy city roads, which stands to reason.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Okay, here's my STOP THE BOATS theory. The majority of voters think this is a real priority, regardless of whether they support the Rwanda scheme or not. So far so good, However, it's now damaging the Tories in the polls. And the reason for this is that voters think there are lots of other priorities as well, but all they hear about from Sunak and others is 'stop the boats' - the PM even holds a special press conference about it. It's become an obsession, as if nothing else matters, at the expense of other priorities.

In conclusion: single issue parties aren't popular with the voters. The Tories need to broaden their repertoire, because folk are getting a bit fed up with the government wittering on about boats and nothing much else (apart from the occasional pothole interjection).

I don't disagree with any of this. But I'd also add that while stop the boats is a priority for voters, the Conservatives evidently aren't stopping the boats. They've ramped up the importance of one issue that they either have no intention of doing anything about or are terrible at doing so. People who want the boats stopped are increasingly bemused about why the Conservatives aren't doing so.
    Yes, they’re upsetting everyone. They can’t actually stop the boats, yet agreements with France and Albania have actually helped a lot. They’re putting everything on Rwanda, despite the fact that it’s going to be legally almost impossible before the election.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,097
    I’m pretty sure Hunt will throw a few scraps to “ hardworking families “.

Would the Tories just cut IHT , give pensioners a huge increase and attack welfare benefits and think the voters will just return to them .

• Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    Sandpit said:

isam said:

Waters’ recent interview with Joe Rogan gave the game away. He might as well have said “I’m not an anti-Semite, I just don’t think the Jews should have their own country”.
    Amazing the excuses people find to say and do antisemitic things. Waters is a prize pillock.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Yes Leon, get in the sea.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,927

When YouGov had the Tories 21% in a poll under Truss, Labour were on 54%. It was the first poll to put the polling deficit over 30pp. If any single opinion poll could be said to have shattered a Prime Minister it was that one.

This time Labour are on 44%. It's quite the contrast.

YouGov 28-29 Sep 2022 14-15 Nov 2023 Change
    Con 21 21 0
    Lab 54 44 -10
    Lib Dem 7 10 +3
    Green 6 8 +2
    RefUK 4 10 +6
    SNP 5 4 -1

Give Starmer enough rope and he'll hang himself. If you follow in someone's slipstream as long as Starmer has done you're asking for trouble. All you need is for Sunak and the EU to change tack and do something sensible like suggest a ceasefire in Gaza and Starmer will fall over himself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice to see Suella Braverman's strategy being called out for the fascist and unConservative bollocks it is.

Damian Green. lol
    Is he wrong?

Your inner fascist is poking out
    Parliament must be sovereign, in the end. If you consider that fascism then fuck knows how you’d cope with actual, you know, fascism

You’re just petulantly upset that Sunak’s stupid reshuffle turned out to be a disaster - as predicted by some on here, at the time
    If you don't realise that politicians demanding that they be allowed to do what the hell they like regardless of the law, without any restraints on their power, without any ability of the citizen to hold them to account is precisely the road to tyranny, it is you being petulant and ignorant. Braverman's second demand in that Telegraph article is the most dangerous, unconservative and frankly astonishing thing for a lawyer and former A-G to say.

It is the frustrated wail of a toddler screaming "I want, I must get".

Sovereigns must be subject to the rule of law, in the end. That is what the Civil War was about. It is what much of British politics has been about since then. If the Tory party fails to understand this in order to placate the frustrations and ego of a second-rate lawyer turned third-rate politician with no competence, ability or achievements to her name then it deserves to be - and I hope will be - obliterated.
    Oh give over. I'm not a toddler, I do understand the Separation of Powers. Executive, Judiciary. Legislature. I've read my Montesquieu (or at least the relevant bits in English)

However, the ability to protect a nation's borders and stop unwanted people coming in is fundamental to a government, it is the job of the elected Executive to decide this, the elected Legislature to enact this, and the apppointed Judiciary to police but not obstruct. Stopping the government protecting the borders via legal constraints is like the Supreme Court deciding an elected government and parliament does not have the power to declare war because the ECHR doesn't like it. Would you approve of that?

It seems to me we have a judiciary which is overly political, overly pro-active, and overly obeisant to endless international laws some of which it seems to conjure out of thin air

Braverman is history, get over it!
  • Options
    Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Are you going via the river ?
  • Options
    Total aside, but Persepolis FC (from the linked story) is a fantastic name for a football team.

Great article @Alanbrooke. Your writing is just seleucid.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ok this js actually quite a nice little spot. Just noticed I am 30 foot from a beach shack cocktail bar, facing the sunset

It’s 28C. Barely any humidity. Soft music floats over the sugar palms, I hear languid laughter of suntanned people on the white sand beach

You truly do take on life's travails for all of us here.
  • Options
    Roger said:

When YouGov had the Tories 21% in a poll under Truss, Labour were on 54%. It was the first poll to put the polling deficit over 30pp. If any single opinion poll could be said to have shattered a Prime Minister it was that one.

This time Labour are on 44%. It's quite the contrast.

YouGov 28-29 Sep 2022 14-15 Nov 2023 Change
    Con 21 21 0
    Lab 54 44 -10
    Lib Dem 7 10 +3
    Green 6 8 +2
    RefUK 4 10 +6
    SNP 5 4 -1

Give Starmer enough rope and he'll hang himself. If you follow in someone's slipstream as long as Starmer has done you're asking for trouble. All you need is for Sunak and the EU to change tack and do something sensible like suggest a ceasefire in Gaza and Starmer will fall over himself.
    :innocent:

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,142
    edited November 2023
    Way off topic, but still interesting. Here is a Reddit thread about the Swedish union dispute with Elon. Perhaps unusually it's not submitted as an hit piece on the world's richest transph[Don't go there - Ed] raci[Not there either] anti-sem[No!!] fat geek [OK, that's fine], but as an example of a modern-day country with functioning and widespread trade unions

Whatever your view of British trade unions, their destruction removed a feedback loop from the people to the political classes that we have not fully compensated for, resulting in the disconnect we all criticise but do nothing to fix. I know that @MoonRabbit, once of this parish (can she be let out of Purgatory now?) has an ahistorical view of trades unions and the important part they played in British history. Perhaps this will act as a counter.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLoop/comments/17wnk4d/comment/k9ievee/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
    https://www.wired.co.uk/article/sweden-tesla-strike-cleaners
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Okay, here's my STOP THE BOATS theory. The majority of voters think this is a real priority, regardless of whether they support the Rwanda scheme or not. So far so good, However, it's now damaging the Tories in the polls. And the reason for this is that voters think there are lots of other priorities as well, but all they hear about from Sunak and others is 'stop the boats' - the PM even holds a special press conference about it. It's become an obsession, as if nothing else matters, at the expense of other priorities.

In conclusion: single issue parties aren't popular with the voters. The Tories need to broaden their repertoire, because folk are getting a bit fed up with the government wittering on about boats and nothing much else (apart from the occasional pothole interjection).

I don't disagree with any of this. But I'd also add that while stop the boats is a priority for voters, the Conservatives evidently aren't stopping the boats. They've ramped up the importance of one issue that they either have no intention of doing anything about or are terrible at doing so. People who want the boats stopped are increasingly bemused about why the Conservatives aren't doing so.
    Yeah I agree with all that

I think some form of Rwanda is worth trying - and remember, WE HAVEN’T ACTUALLY TRIED IT YET - because deterrence might work. I see all the flaws with Rwanda but no one has any better idea. Which is why other countries are reaching a similar conclusion - Rwanda

However the government are so inept they have managed to get all the bad vibes of packing poor asylum seekers off to Kigali while all the time they’ve sent not one person to Kigali - thus infuriating both sides while doing nothing

It’s another example of Cookie’s Law. This government makes right wing noises but actually behaves more like an incompetent left wing government, ensuring the contempt of all
    The deterrence argument was very shaky at best, but given the government has been talking about it for well over a year now and achieved nothing means that no potential migrants will believe it now anyway.
  • Options

So in the middle of a couple of wars, a migrant flare up and economic staightjackets Lisa Nandy decides attacking JK Rowling is her priority.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/11/16/lisa-nandy-jk-rowling-trans-transgender-bodily-parts-debate/

There’ll be plenty of utterances like this from Labour in government once they get there. With any luck they won’t major on it, but sometimes they can’t help themselves.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,660
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

I think some form of Rwanda is worth trying - and remember, WE HAVEN’T ACTUALLY TRIED IT YET - because deterrence might work. I see all the flaws with Rwanda but no one has any better idea. Which is why other countries are reaching a similar conclusion - Rwanda

However the government are so inept they have managed to get all the bad vibes of packing poor asylum seekers off to Kigali while all the time they’ve sent not one person to Kigali - thus infuriating both sides while doing nothing

It’s another example of Cookie’s Law. This government makes right wing noises but actually behaves more like an incompetent left wing government, ensuring the contempt of all
    Cookie's Law is very real. My itchy conspiracy believing side is constantly telling me that it's intentional - Rishi and Hunt intend both to lose the election and marginalise the right for a generation. Of course I also realise that the two of them being utterly incompetent is as likely a reason.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

The deterrence argument was very shaky at best, but given the government has been talking about it for well over a year now and achieved nothing means that no potential migrants will believe it now anyway.
    Yes, quite possibly

Like I said, I’m not voting for this shower of incompetents in 2024
  • Options
    I can’t believe I thought this place was a “bit shit” and “stupidly cloudy” an hour ago. It’s fab
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Car crash TV about to start on Sky Sports F1.

Edit: Nope, another 15m delay.

Edit2: Nope, 30m delay now.

Bit like the ice skating scene from Bambi. Never seen such a visible lack of grip on a dry track ever.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

TimS said:

How many 'real' roads are like that though? Most of them must be busy city roads, which stands to reason.
    Not many, but they do exist. Off the top of my head, the A556 between the M6 and Northwich has a particularly exciting stretch. People think 'ooh, a dual carriageway, great' and go whizzing past each other in the respective outside lanes at a relative speed of 120mph or more.
  • Options
    Why has Forces News just dropped three vids on the Ajax? Why are they calling it an Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFV) when it's specifically for reconnaissance, combat reconnaissance at a push?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-d4CaCfyqio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYAnHo4KsIg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d8PKF6TetI
  • Options

Just about the only thing that prevents a Labour majority at this point, is the party going hard on social issues in the run-up to the election - especially temping someone like JKR into supporting opponents.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Braverman says the UK government should pass legislation that explicitly ignores the ECHR

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67446101

That's incredible. She's lost it. Wasn't Rwanda her idea?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

You truly do take on life's travails for all of us here.
    They need to work on the palm trees. Bit scrawny

I may actually complain
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Topical

From the River to the Sea.

Leon will be Free.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Just about the only thing that prevents a Labour majority at this point, is the party going hard on social issues in the run-up to the election - especially temping someone like JKR into supporting opponents.
    It’s one reason they could be a one term government. Their Wokeness is going to be off-the-dial and could split them on multiple issues - Gaza is just a taster
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Braverman says the UK government should pass legislation that explicitly ignores the ECHR

It wasn’t her idea, think it was Priti’s. I think Suella is just frustrated that if she had been in a position to judge the legality before it was pushed through, maybe Attorney General, or had her hands on the policy with the power and resources to push it through as Home Secretary then there wouldn’t be this mess.

Unfortunately the last few PM’s have ignored her skills and ability by limiting her to being Attorney General and Home Secretary so she was unable to do anything about it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay, next funny Las Vegas story.

It appears that the police street camera feeds are available to the public, presumably thanks to some legislation that allowed them to be everywhere in the city in the first place. Well, there’s a load of Youtube channels currently showing the Las Vegas street cameras, and guess what they’re showing?
  • Options

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nice to see Suella Braverman's strategy being called out for the fascist and unConservative bollocks it is.

Damian Green. lol
    Is he wrong?

Parliament must be sovereign, in the end. If you consider that fascism then fuck knows how you’d cope with actual, you know, fascism

You’re just petulantly upset that Sunak’s stupid reshuffle turned out to be a disaster - as predicted by some on here, at the time
    If you don't realise that politicians demanding that they be allowed to do what the hell they like regardless of the law, without any restraints on their power, without any ability of the citizen to hold them to account is precisely the road to tyranny, it is you being petulant and ignorant. Braverman's second demand in that Telegraph article is the most dangerous, unconservative and frankly astonishing thing for a lawyer and former A-G to say.

Sovereigns must be subject to the rule of law, in the end. That is what the Civil War was about. It is what much of British politics has been about since then. If the Tory party fails to understand this in order to placate the frustrations and ego of a second-rate lawyer turned third-rate politician with no competence, ability or achievements to her name then it deserves to be - and I hope will be - obliterated.
    Oh give over. I'm not a toddler, I do understand the Separation of Powers. Executive, Judiciary. Legislature. I've read my Montesquieu (or at least the relevant bits in English)

However, the ability to protect a nation's borders and stop unwanted people coming in is fundamental to a government, it is the job of the elected Executive to decide this, the elected Legislature to enact this, and the apppointed Judiciary to police but not obstruct. Stopping the government protecting the borders via legal constraints is like the Supreme Court deciding an elected government and parliament does not have the power to declare war because the ECHR doesn't like it. Would you approve of that?

It seems to me we have a judiciary which is overly political, overly pro-active, and overly obeisant to endless international laws some of which it seems to conjure out of thin air

She wants to overrule all domestic law too.
    I don't agree with Braverman's approach. But, I do have strong sympathy with what @Leon is saying.
  • Options

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

On the topic of the day, the only reasons I can see to prefer a pool over the sea are if the sea is a) forbiddingly cold, b) full of bitey or stingy things, or c) discouragingly unclean. None of those look to apply.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Topical

Leon will be Free.
    From the river to the sea
    Leon's holidays are free.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cutting inheritance tax for rich families but nothing else in the middle of a cost of living crisis is about the most tin-eared thing anyone could do, so of course Sunak will do it.

He really is quite impressively bad at politics.

He is appalling. So is Hunt. I mean - appointing Cameron? Really??

I actually wonder if Sunak is worse than Truss
    Certainly neither have surprised on the upside..
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    edited November 2023
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

On the topic of the day, the only reasons I can see to prefer a pool over the sea are if the sea is a) forbiddingly cold, b) full of bitey or stingy things, or c) discouragingly unclean. None of those look to apply.
    Piranha. Electric eels. That fish which goes up the urethra and erects its spines so it can't be got out.

Or has he left the jungle?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    There's an odd rumour going about that Carlos Sainz has a 10-place grid penalty,. This is because he needs a new part of his engine after hitting the manhole cover.

If so, WTF F1!
  • Options
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Patel's, I think? But taken on by her with gusto.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

It wasn’t her idea, think it was Priti’s. I think Suella is just frustrated that if she had been in a position to judge the legality before it was pushed through, maybe Attorney General, or had her hands on the policy with the power and resources to push it through as Home Secretary then there wouldn’t be this mess.

Unfortunately the last few PM’s have ignored her skills and ability by limiting her to being Attorney General and Home Secretary so she was unable to do anything about it.
    I'm asssuming that's tongue-in-cheek? Not always as obvious on here as you'd think!
  • Options

Taz said:

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Topical

Leon will be Free.
    From the river to the sea
    Leon's holidays are free.
    That’s rather good. Bravo.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

There's an odd rumour going about that Carlos Sainz has a 10-place grid penalty,. This is because he needs a new part of his engine after hitting the manhole cover.

If so, WTF F1!

Yes. The way the rules are written, the stewards have no authority to change the mandatory penalties.
    https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2023 Las Vegas Grand Prix - Decision - Car 55 - Replacement Components.pdf
    Apparently they spent three hours trying to find a way not to give Sainz a penalty.

The thinking now is that all the teams agree that the penalty can be waived, but that’s for discussion tomorrow.
  • Options

Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Damian Green. lol
    Is he wrong?

I don't agree with Braverman's approach. But, I do have strong sympathy with what @Leon is saying.
    That's fine. So long as you're happy when Sir Keir as PM tramples all over 'Judicial Review [and] all common law challenges' to facilitate one of Labour's hobby horses.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

The sea is, it appears, about to be full of Leon :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Why doesn’t everyone just live on perfect white sand beaches in the tropics next to quaint wooden thatched cocktail bars serving excellent mojitos?

It would solve so many problems. Like Gaza

“Shall we have have a massive all out war and shoot each other in fetid tunnels full of killer dogs or shall we have another caipirnha maybe with nice bar snacks and watch the sunset?”

“Hmm, I dunno. I hate you”

“Yeah but they’ve got these really cool triangular green lanterns”

“Ah ok then. I’ll have a pina colada”

• Options

Leon said:

Cutting inheritance tax for rich families but nothing else in the middle of a cost of living crisis is about the most tin-eared thing anyone could do, so of course Sunak will do it.

He really is quite impressively bad at politics.

He is appalling. So is Hunt. I mean - appointing Cameron? Really??

I actually wonder if Sunak is worse than Truss
    Certainly neither have surprised on the upside..
    Fair play. lol
  • Options

Is it just me or does anyone else think Rachel Reeves wears shit clothes? Fringey haircut doesn't help either.

She needs a stylist.

Ooh, get Gok Wan!

Sort of agree, her style could kindly be described as stolid, and when combined with that wasp trapped in a bottle voice..
    Yousaf’s dress sense is also a bit rubbish lest anyone thinks I’m a mcp. As for the Starmer flirtation with Stone Island..
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Leon said:

That's fine. So long as you're happy when Sir Keir as PM tramples all over 'Judicial Review [and] all common law challenges' to facilitate one of Labour's hobby horses.
    An old communist slogan which made me uneasy even in my teens is "The will of the people is the law of the land". I was in favour of revolutionary change, but, well, law-abiding revolutionary change (hey, teenagers don't have to be logical). If laws can be overridden at will, then literally nothing is safe from the government. It's an odd thing for conservatives to espouse.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,915
    "Moment courageous Iranian football fans tell pro-Palestine supporters to ‘take that flag and shove it up your a***’ during attempt by regime backers to rally for Hamas at a football match"

Interesting.

Before the Berlin Wall fell FC Union Berlin was the second team in East Berlin (the first being a stitch up by the Stasi). Fans often used to chant and sing songs against the DDR regime during matches. Being part of a mass crowd in a stadium was about the only place where the authorities could not control what was going on, or find out who the ringleaders were.
  • Options
    Roger said:

boulay said:

Roger said:

HYUFD said:

I'm asssuming that's tongue-in-cheek? Not always as obvious on here as you'd think!
    Definitely tongue in cheek. It’s like Putin writing a column in Pravda criticising the failure of the invasion of Ukraine and how badly it’s been managed and planned and if only he had been in charge then he would have foreseen these problems and he would be enjoying lunch in Kiev today.

Now people need to finally start listening to him about his own plan to make it work because the idiots who put it into action don’t know what they are doing.
  • Options

Interior of Euston Station as it uses to be. Off my FB feed, but year unknown.

The women's hats look very 1920's.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I can’t believe I thought this place was a “bit shit” and “stupidly cloudy” an hour ago. It’s fab

I felt the same when I visited Whitley Bay last month :lol:

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Car crash TV about to start on Sky Sports F1.

Edit: Nope, another 15m delay.

Edit2: Nope, 30m delay now.

Bit like the ice skating scene from Bambi. Never seen such a visible lack of grip on a dry track ever.
    Turkey 2020 was the best example in recent memory, which was a proper ice rink.

This is a little better, but they have no support races to lay down rubber because they can only have the track for a few hours.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,465
    eristdoof said:

They are not all going to fit into that carriage...
  • Options

Is it just me or does anyone else think Rachel Reeves wears shit clothes? Fringey haircut doesn't help either.

She needs a stylist.

Whilst true (if somewhat ungallant), I think she's just gone from everyday clothing to the kind of clothes you'd wear from an interview. And although the helmet hair look works for nobody other than Velma in Scooby-Doo, it is at least functional and low-maintenance. It's not the best, but it's perfectly acceptable for work.
  • Options

Yes, it was apparently quite a spectacular place. But also allegedly rather unsuited for modern operations. IIRC that spot is now about a third of a way along the platforms. Sadly, it had to go.

(Though the fact the Euston arch was not rebuilt was a crime...)
  • Options

Nice photo - but it looks gloomily austere. In my head, the old Euston was some sort of vaguely Greco-Roman paradise; a prelapsarian arcadia, with trains. Slightly disappointing to see that not all old architecture was magnificent.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,039

She needs a stylist.

Ooh, get Gok Wan!

Sort of agree, her style could kindly be described as stolid, and when combined with that wasp trapped in a bottle voice..
    Yousaf’s dress sense is also a bit rubbish lest anyone thinks I’m a mcp. As for the Starmer flirtation with Stone Island..
    I’ve always thought she sounded like a female Harry H Corbett - can see her berating Chris Pincher with “You duhty olt man”
  • Options
    Leon said:

Why doesn’t everyone just live on perfect white sand beaches in the tropics next to quaint wooden thatched cocktail bars serving excellent mojitos?

It would solve so many problems. Like Gaza

“Shall we have have a massive all out war and shoot each other in fetid tunnels full of killer dogs or shall we have another caipirnha maybe with nice bar snacks and watch the sunset?”

“Hmm, I dunno. I hate you”

“Yeah but they’ve got these really cool triangular green lanterns”

“Ah ok then. I’ll have a pina colada”

Careful, some will start accusing you of being an anti-semite.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Damian Green. lol
    Is he wrong?

It was Braverman I was thinking of when I wrote my "toddler" remark.

But if the cap fits ....
  • Options

Leon said:

An old communist slogan which made me uneasy even in my teens is "The will of the people is the law of the land". I was in favour of revolutionary change, but, well, law-abiding revolutionary change (hey, teenagers don't have to be logical). If laws can be overridden at will, then literally nothing is safe from the government. It's an odd thing for conservatives to espouse.
    As I regularly point out the Tories are vying with the Greens for the least conservative party nowadays.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

And if you look carefully you can see a youthful Jacob Rees Mogg about to faint as he reads about the new plan to let women over 21 vote.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Much as I would enjoy Rowling using her bully pulpit to support the Tories I think she’s a bit too canny to besmirch her right-on apart from the trannies and Scotch independence reputation. More likely to try to whip Starmer into shape which is just the sort of triangulating he’d be up for.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,264
    This is apparently a genuine Tweet from the Prime Minister. WTAF?

https://x.com/RishiSunak/status/1725462416475975695?s=20
  • Options

Leon said:

I do love a nice lighthouse
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,558
    edited November 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

They've taken the deterrence argument quite seriously in Ireland, or at least seriously enough for the government here to use it as an excuse for why asylum seeker numbers went up in Ireland, surprising them and forcing the government to impose the lifestyle choice of tented accommodation onto new arrivals.

I guess blaming the English is always a handy go-to for the Irish political class, but interesting that arrival numbers in Ireland went up at the same time as boat numbers across the channel went down.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Piranha. Electric eels. That fish which goes up the urethra and erects its spines so it can't be got out.

Does that fish really exist? I've heard of it, but it was so horrific an image I wondered whether it was an urban myth. You would have thought it a very limited evolutionary niche to occupy. And also a horrible existence.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Scott_xP said:

Is he in Las Vegas?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

Just ticked over the 2 hour mark now. *Sigh*
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    People support the abolition of inheritance tax even if they are never going to pay it themselves. Its about fairness. Taxing the dead is absolutely unfair when you have paid taxes all your life. It will be difficult for Labour to overturn it. Its a sort if 45p tax trap like McDoom set.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,075
    Scott_xP said:

He's fucking lost it. We're in National Spare Room Database territory.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Nice photo - but it looks gloomily austere. In my head, the old Euston was some sort of vaguely Greco-Roman paradise; a prelapsarian arcadia, with trains. Slightly disappointing to see that not all old architecture was magnificent.
    But still. Compare it to the interior of today’s Euston

Penn Station in NYC was the greatest loss of all

Look at it. And they knocked it down
  • Options
    edited November 2023

TimS said:

To be fair, they are very informative. My recollection is that quite a few people there were very ‘moody’ though.
    I enjoyed mine a lot more than I expected to.

And Good Morning to one and all. Very pleasant this morning here after a very November-ish day yesterday.
    Having been done for 27 mph in a 20 (that was new, and sandwiched between 60, 40, 30, and another 30 in less than 1 mile) I was very grumpy. In some ways the Drake's all encompassing 20 in urban zones is the way ahead (but more slowly...)
    There are new cameras coming out that can do motorists in both directions without painting the roads. It can also do you for no seat belt and using your mobile phone.
  • Options

People support the abolition of inheritance tax even if they are never going to pay it themselves. Its about fairness. Taxing the dead is absolutely unfair when you have paid taxes all your life. It will be difficult for Labour to overturn it. Its a sort if 45p tax trap like McDoom set.

Think of it as taxing those who get the inheritance, not those who left it. Obviously the dead person can't be taxed. They're dead.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

I WILL GET IN THE SEA

Does that fish really exist? I've heard of it, but it was so horrific an image I wondered whether it was an urban myth. You would have thought it a very limited evolutionary niche to occupy. And also a horrible existence.
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0953985991712990
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I do love a nice lighthouse
    The walk down to Start Point lighthouse that juts out of south Devon is one of the finest.

On a clear day you can see all the way round the Jurassic coast to Portland.

https://www.visitsouthdevon.co.uk/things-to-do/start-point-lighthouse-p204233

You can stay there too. Although getting someone else to pay....
  • Options
    Heartfelt vid this.
    ’The Conservative Party has been in power for fourteen years and in that time they have achieved many great things.

It’s been a phenomenal few years for Britain.

And there’s one political party that deserves our utmost thanks and praise.

Thank you, Tories.’

https://youtu.be/Ok1suEMJFTI?si=J0Oqb1sbtE8XYAnw
  • Options

Yes, it was apparently quite a spectacular place. But also allegedly rather unsuited for modern operations. IIRC that spot is now about a third of a way along the platforms. Sadly, it had to go.

(Though the fact the Euston arch was not rebuilt was a crime...)
    I think that was the nicest bit of Euston. The rest was a bunch of sheds

But still probably worth preserving. Especially the arch, of course

America’s loss of great 1850-1950 architecture dwarfs ours. And ours was bad enough. They destroyed townscape after townscape in favour of the car. Whole websites are dedicated to this horrendous barbarism

And the result? It made them all fat
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

E-Sure Manchester office - The Meridian, 25 Quay Street, Manchester, M3 4AL.

If I am on your jury, I will find you not guilty.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

£8.3bn sounded like a lot, but its spread out until 2034. Pff, Labour could just offer £22.6bn spread until 2054 to beat it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

Is he in Las Vegas?
    Is he in the Lib Dems?

"Potholes! People hate potholes! I can fill them in! They'll love me then, won't they Briefcase? Please say yes! Pleeze..."

(the briefcase sits silently, uncomprehending)
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Think of it as taxing those who get the inheritance, not those who left it. Obviously the dead person can't be taxed. They're dead.
    The Dead are taxed. The tax is deducted from the estate of the deceased before assets are distributed. Its iniquitous.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,039
    edited November 2023

She needs a stylist.

Ooh, get Gok Wan!

German sleeve for Morrissey’s “First of the Gang to Die”

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,750

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Iran like the UK has unelected clergy in their parliament which is shi'ite if you ask me, the UK should stop acting like a theocracy.

That presumes that the Church of England, in the U.K., is a religious organisation.

Is ther me any evidence of that?
    They claim a religious dispensation of conscience to disobey the state's own laws on marrying gay and lesbian couples.
    Synod this week has voted to approve experimental services of blessing for homosexual couples married in English law
    How will they judge the success or otherwise of this "experiment"? Number of church towers struck by thunderbolts sent by an angry deity?
    Content of speechifying from burning shrubberies?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

But still. Compare it to the interior of today’s Euston

Penn Station in NYC was the greatest loss of all

Look at it. And they knocked it down
    To be fair, it is slightly larger than Rhode Island. You put some mighty skyscrapers on that footprint.

EDIT: I see that Madison Square Gardens was built where it stood.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Also note the model trains and ships in display cases - the LMS had a fair few ships.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipping_facilities_of_the_London,_Midland_and_Scottish_Railway#List_of_ships_of_the_London,_Midland_and_Scottish_Railway

I think the statue of George Stephenson is the one at the National Rail Museum?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530
    edited November 2023

Periodic reminder that inheritance tax taxes the living on unearned income. The dead, being dead, do not pay. The living, in most cases, already do not pay due to the exemptions and the loopholes for those inclined to find them.

As it stands,* I'll land a substantial inheritance one day due to my good judgement in having parents with a house in the south east (I haven't looked into it, but I suspect we'll actually not be charged due to the exemptions) but I really don't see why I should be handed a few £100k tax free that I have done nothing to deserve, while I get taxed etc on the money I work for.

*my parents are, unfortunately, loathe to spend money, despite having pretty comfortable pensions - getting them to even shell out for useful modifications to their home as they're getting old or paying for more than the cheapest care services is hard. It may all go on care home costs, of course, which is also fine with me (I just hope they use the money to have the best possible final years).
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pulpstar said:

Cookie said:

When you get through tell them you are going to charge for your time as part of your claim.
This discussion has been closed.