Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Trump not winning WH2024 could be a value bet – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

Oh well, 10,000 Palestinians dead in Gaza inside a month.

This is a war which Hamas declared on 7th October. When your enemy intends to extinguish your entire nation you fight to the finish, sadly, which means Hamas relinquishing its war aims, and releasing the hostages.

As Hamas knows this, the question to ask them is how many more than 10,000 is enough for them? I hope Gazans are asking it, but I have yet to hear a word of disagreement with Hamas from within Gaza.
    Translation: "10 lives for every Israeli!"
    Apparently Hamas numbers 25-30k

Get there and start counting
    Well, 10,000 is almost 10 times 1,400, so the Israelis are almost there.
    You're quoting terrorist propaganda

I'll believe the numbers once Hamas is eliminated

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

On 25 October, US President Joe Biden stated he had "no confidence" in the death totals reported by the Gaza Health Ministry.[418][419] In response, Human Rights Watch stated that after three decades working in Gaza and conducting its own investigation, it considers Gaza Health Ministry's totals to be reliable.[419] Matthew Miller made a similar claim to Biden, despite the fact that the US Department of State cites the Gaza Health Ministry's death tolls in its own internal reports.[420]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Israel–Hamas_war
    Even if your terrorist numbers are somewhere near accurate, how many of them were human shields?

Those go in the Hamas kills column, not the Israeli's
    Forget the human shields for a minute. How many of them are actual terrorist operatives?
    How many of the 1,400 were?
    How many were IDF?
    The unborn babies were definitely going to be one day
    How many babies has Israel killed in Gaza?
    How many of those are put in the Hamas column by their obvious war crimes that you refuse to acknowledge?
    And how many were directly killed by Hamas rockets gone wrong?

Or bullets in the heads of innocent Palestinians fleeing Hamas?

None of us knows, but I'd be hugely surprised if the answer to either of of those was zero

But keep on quoting your terrorist truth tally
  • Options

algarkirk said:

This is a war which Hamas declared on 7th October. When your enemy intends to extinguish your entire nation you fight to the finish, sadly, which means Hamas relinquishing its war aims, and releasing the hostages.

As Hamas knows this, the question to ask them is how many more than 10,000 is enough for them? I hope Gazans are asking it, but I have yet to hear a word of disagreement with Hamas from within Gaza.

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

On 25 October, US President Joe Biden stated he had "no confidence" in the death totals reported by the Gaza Health Ministry.[418][419] In response, Human Rights Watch stated that after three decades working in Gaza and conducting its own investigation, it considers Gaza Health Ministry's totals to be reliable.[419] Matthew Miller made a similar claim to Biden, despite the fact that the US Department of State cites the Gaza Health Ministry's death tolls in its own internal reports.[420]

Even if your terrorist numbers are somewhere near accurate, how many of them were human shields?

Israel is the one dropping the bombs
    On their genocidal enemy
    10,000 Palestinian deaths not enough for you?
    More Germans died in WW2 from Allied bombing than Brits died from German attacks. That doesn't make Germany the good guys.

FWIW. I do think that Israel is being reckless in its attacks, and unjustified in some instances. But raw numbers are a poor way of establishing moral righteousness.
    To paraphrase Fawlty: The Germans started it! They invaded Poland!
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

Forget the human shields for a minute. How many of them are actual terrorist operatives?
    How many were IDF?
    How many of those are put in the Hamas column by their obvious war crimes that you refuse to acknowledge?
    And how many were directly killed by Hamas rockets gone wrong?

Or bullets in the heads of innocent Palestinians fleeing Hamas?

None of us knows, but I'd be hugely surprised if the answer to either of of those was zero

But keep on quoting your terrorist truth tally
    Despite the fact that the US Department of State cites the Gaza Health Ministry's death tolls in its own internal reports?
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?
    I did acknowledge them that first weekend in October, actually.

Anyway, how's this for alliteration?

Bloodthirsty bellicose Blanche backs Bibi's Butcher Boys
    You acknowledged Hamas's war crime of hiding underneath untouchable civilian infrastructure before Israel had to bomb some of it after reasonable warnings?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,160
    edited November 2023

148grss said:

148grss said:

"Inevitably this will end up before the Supreme Court and it is hard to judge which way they will go."

I think that this SCOTUS would probably make some spurious argument that either a) Trump's behaviour does not meet the criteria in the 14th Amendment because he was never found guilty by Congress (via impeachment) and that is the only standard that should be considered to define if someone already in office has broken their oath or b) that the voters should be allowed to make their minds up because, even if he does violate the criteria in the 14th Amendment, the democratic will of the voters is more important or c) that it is too close to the election to interfere.

I think a) might have some legal legs, c) is a cop out that people might accept and b) would essentially be SCOTUS opening the door for lots of Civil Rights legislation / amendments mattering as long as there is enough popular will to not have to keep them. I would personally put money on something like a) - but Roberts would not be a part of that opinion; it will instead be written by Scalia or Thomas and have the other 3 conservative votes. The only reason Roberts might sign on to it is so he can make sure Scalia or Thomas don't write the opinion, and can soften whatever reasoning they use.

I also think that Trump could still win even if he isn't on the ballot in many states, because I doubt many of those states will be battleground states / will have that requirement on the books by the time the election comes around if they are under state wide GOP control.

What I think is increasingly likely is Biden won't be the Democratic nominee - that he will drop out due to "health issues" that is really just pressure from the Democratic party looking at his numbers sliding and the main reason being his age and wanting a better candidate. Whether he does this prior to the primaries starting or only does it towards the end for the convention to make the decision, I don't know.

I absolutely guarantee that Scalia will not be writing it
    Sorry - of course not Scalia; Alito. Not that there is much difference between their jurisprudence (except that Scalia actually did have some slight unorthodox positions for a GOP judge, whereas Alito is very much a Fox News judge).
    Antonin Scalia and Ruth Bader Ginsburg were charmingly close. Their families used to celebrate New Year's Eve together, and the pair used to go shopping and on trips to the opera together quite regularly.

I expect the conservative and liberal justices remain pretty civil overall. But Scalia/Ginsburg was exceptional given they were essentially the extremes of the court, and it speaks to a rather different age.
    The interesting thing about the supreme court is that some of the justices are not as ideological as you think. On a scale of +8 (most conservative ) to -8 (most liberal), the current scores are roughly as follows:

Thomas +3
    Scalia +2.5
    Barrett +1.5
    Gorsuch +1
    Kavanaugh +0.75
    Roberts +0.75
    Kagan -1.75
    Sotomayor -4

Brown Jackson doesn't have a rating yet.

The key will be defining the standard in the 14th amendment.
    Different Justices have their own hobby horses: Scalia, for example, very often joined with the ultraliberals in reigning in police overreach. Gorsuch has consistently defended the Indian tribes against encroachment by State and Federal Governments.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

4/ Donald Trump has been on the witness stand for only a short amount of time this morning, and he already appears to be lying*. More below...
    https://twitter.com/DanAlexander21/status/1721554757817434372

*I presume he opened his mouth.

As an aside, there is the risk - presumably - of Trump being tried for perjury off the back of this case.
    I expect it as a certainty. In fact, I do wonder when when a judge will find him in contempt and send him down to the cells.
    The risk in relation to perjury in this case is quite low, I think. This is a civil case, where the verdict will be based on balance of probabilities. The most direct clash in testimony is between Trump and Cohen, who is hardly all that more credible. The judge will simply say Trump was not a particularly credible witness. Happens all the time in civil cases without criminal perjury charges following.

On contempt, the judge may fine him again. But there are at least a couple of steps from the pretty token $10k fine previously and a night in the cells. He'd add a zero before getting there.
    I cannot understand the attitude of the more left-leaning media in the US towards Michael Cohen. It is almost as if they regard him as a wronged son, repenting of his deeds and returning to the fold.

AFAICS, he spent decades doing Trump's bidding and has only had his Damascene conversion after he was thrown under the Trump bus.

He strikes me as a nasty piece of work who is taking the chance to get his own back rather than suffering genuine remorse.
    I agree with your assessment of Cohen.

But I query, "I cannot understand the attitude..." The enemy of my enemy being my friend might well be wrong, but it isn't hard to understand.
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

You acknowledged Hamas's war crime of hiding underneath untouchable civilian infrastructure before Israel had to bomb some of it after reasonable warnings?
    I condemned the massacres of Israeli civilians. I even stated several times we need to differentiate between the Israeli govt. and the Israeli people.
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

I condemned the massacres of Israeli civilians. I even stated several times we need to differentiate between the Israeli govt. and the Israeli people.
    How big of you

And how would Sunilland respond to it?

When your twenty five thousand strong genocidal lunatic enemy commits a war crime by its cowardly hiding under its innocent civilian slaves, does King Sunil make a daisy chain and blow kisses?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962
    Blimey.

Clarification: I've deleted previous tweets about death of Ukrainian Major Hennadiy Chastyakov after Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko clarified this was not an assassination but an accident. "He took out a box with grenades inside and started showing the ammunition to his son."
    https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1721634493365154191
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

How big of you
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,688
    Nigelb said:

Blimey.

Clarification: I've deleted previous tweets about death of Ukrainian Major Hennadiy Chastyakov after Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko clarified this was not an assassination but an accident. "He took out a box with grenades inside and started showing the ammunition to his son."
    https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1721634493365154191

I've always subscribed to the theory that life is like a box of hand grenades. There's a wrong 'un in there but, by the time you've found it, it's too late.

I didn't expect someone to take this literally.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

4/ Donald Trump has been on the witness stand for only a short amount of time this morning, and he already appears to be lying*. More below...

As an aside, there is the risk - presumably - of Trump being tried for perjury off the back of this case.
    I expect it as a certainty. In fact, I do wonder when when a judge will find him in contempt and send him down to the cells.
    The risk in relation to perjury in this case is quite low, I think. This is a civil case, where the verdict will be based on balance of probabilities. The most direct clash in testimony is between Trump and Cohen, who is hardly all that more credible. The judge will simply say Trump was not a particularly credible witness. Happens all the time in civil cases without criminal perjury charges following.

On contempt, the judge may fine him again. But there are at least a couple of steps from the pretty token $10k fine previously and a night in the cells. He'd add a zero before getting there.
    I cannot understand the attitude of the more left-leaning media in the US towards Michael Cohen. It is almost as if they regard him as a wronged son, repenting of his deeds and returning to the fold.

AFAICS, he spent decades doing Trump's bidding and has only had his Damascene conversion after he was thrown under the Trump bus.

He strikes me as a nasty piece of work who is taking the chance to get his own back rather than suffering genuine remorse.

But I query, "I cannot understand the attitude..." The enemy of my enemy being my friend might well be wrong, but it isn't hard to understand.
    The oscillations on Dominic Cummings - lying wanker/Sword of Truth/lying wanker - are closely matched to who he is upsetting on a given day.
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

You acknowledged Hamas's war crime of hiding underneath

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

How big of you
    Stupid Sunil sympathises so iSlamists survive
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,626
    Nigelb said:

For @Carnyx , “designed to install fear”.

The haunting sound that Roman soldiers would have heard from their Celtic enemies before battle was produced by the Celtic Carnyx. This ancient wind instrument was used by the Celts during the period from 300 B.C. to 200 A.D.

According to the Greek historian Polybius, the Carnyx was employed in warfare to rouse troops to battle and to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents. Due to its significant height, the instrument's sounds could carry over the heads of those engaged in battles or ceremonies.

https://twitter.com/historyinmemes/status/1721314751844684215

Brilliant

Right underneath it is the "Aztec Death Whistle"

I thought this must be fake; Wiki says these whistles certainly existed, and they do make this screeching noise, but the true purpose is unknown

https://x.com/patricksp71/status/1721356166440054846?s=20

if that IS true, imagine hundreds of those on a battlefield, with your ultimate fate - if you lose - live heart extrusion?

TBH it would probably make me fight HARDER
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

The oscillations on Dominic Cummings - lying wanker/Sword of Truth/lying wanker - are closely matched to who he is upsetting on a given day.
    They are both deeply untrustworthy characters - but Cohen at least had the honesty to admit as much in his evidence. Which differentiates him just a little from both Cummings and Trump.
  • Options
    I can only assume silly Sunil seeks survival for ALL of Hamas

How many Jews do they need to kill before they can all be wiped out?

Come on, give us that terrorist tally total..
  • Options

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

How big of you
    Nope, the "I" spoils the sequence of "S's" :lol:

0/10
    MUST TRY HARDER!
  • Options
    Sorry if posted before..

Historic Vids
    @historyinmemes

The haunting sound that Roman soldiers would have heard from their Celtic enemies before battle was produced by the Celtic @Carnyx . This ancient wind instrument was used by the Celts during the period from 300 B.C. to 200 A.D.

According to the Greek historian Polybius, the Carnyx was employed in warfare to rouse troops to battle and to strike fear into the hearts of their opponents. Due to its significant height, the instrument's sounds could carry over the heads of those engaged in battles or ceremonies.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,502
    edited November 2023

I actually think Hamas are just as bad or even worse than Likud!

Speaking of "terrorist tallies":

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/joe-biden-gaza-death-toll-state-department_n_653a80f3e4b0783c4ba0491f

"Biden Cast Doubt On Gaza’s Death Statistics — But Officials Cite Them Internally"
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880
    Spurs now down to 9 men.

Craziest game of footy in ages.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I have just had the misfortune to have watched GB News for a couple of minutes. Full of uniformed talking heads shouting and yelling, No analysis, no evaluation in a talking shop for talentless poseurs.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

"The enemy of my enemy ..." may not be a trustworthy sort. Just because he agrees to help you put the boot in does not absolve his earlier issues. I certainly would not trust him.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

Endillion said:

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

How many were IDF?

How big of you
    Now now boys.
  • Options

I actually think Hamas are just as bad or even worse than Likud!

Speaking of "terrorist tallies":

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/joe-biden-gaza-death-toll-state-department_n_653a80f3e4b0783c4ba0491f

"Biden Cast Doubt On Gaza’s Death Statistics — But Officials Cite Them Internally"
    I'm not sure how your links put any gloss on your terrorist tally
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I have just had the misfortune to have watched GB News for a couple of minutes. Full of uniformed talking heads shouting and yelling, No analysis, no evaluation in a talking shop for talentless poseurs.

It's getting a bit like that here at present.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

Yes, but we're not paid to (presumably) provide worthy commentary.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Watched the 1953 Hollywood production of Julius Caesar on iplayer last night.
    James Mason as Brutus, John Gielgud as Cassius, and.......Marlon Brando as Mark Antony.
    Thankfully fimed in noirish black & white rather than technicolor.
    Utterly engrossing.
    Was there ever a better piece of political writing?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    OK, AI is approaching the Singularity, at least in terms of images

A non-gory but poignant photo, allegedly from Gaza

My instinct says AI - something is "off" - maybe the hair - and yet when I analyse it I cannot find an obvious flaw. So have my instincts finally run out? Can I no longer trust my own judgment on images?

See what you think

https://x.com/AiseStampa/status/1721524805734715414?s=20
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

They are both deeply untrustworthy characters - but Cohen at least had the honesty to admit as much in his evidence. Which differentiates him just a little from both Cummings and Trump.
    He's untrustworthy and anything he says which is not corroborated in some fashion by other evidence is no doubt questionable, but that's presumably why the case is not, despite what Trump would claim, reliant on Cohen.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,178
    edited November 2023

James Mason as Brutus, John Gielgud as Cassius, and.......Marlon Brando as Mark Antony.
    Utterly engrossing.

It was indeed superb.
    eta - also Hugh O'Brien taking time off from the early Wyatt Earp tv series.
    He and Brando were for the American audience I suppose
  • Options

Utterly engrossing.

Henry IV parts 1 and 2 ?

The Korean historical drama Six Flying Dragons ?
  • Options
    Leon said:

My instinct says AI - something is "off" - maybe the hair - and yet when I analyse it I cannot find an obvious flaw. So have my instincts finally run out? Can I no longer trust my own judgment on images?

See what you think

He seems to have the correct number of fingers - AIs usually fail at that.

But why wouldn't it be genuine? People have been taking photos like that for years
  • Options

Utterly engrossing.

I shall give that a watch.

On the ITV player both the best Sci Fi horror film of the 1950s (Invasion of the Bodysnatchers) and the brilliant NZ film "Once Were Warriors" are worth catching too.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

dr_spyn said:

:open_mouth: I only popped in for a couple of minutes....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242
    Leon said:

See what you think

There is something odd about the child's right foot.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

The haunting sound that Roman soldiers would have heard from their Celtic enemies before battle was produced by the Celtic Carnyx. This ancient wind instrument was used by the Celts during the period from 300 B.C. to 200 A.D.

Brilliant

I thought this must be fake; Wiki says these whistles certainly existed, and they do make this screeching noise, but the true purpose is unknown

if that IS true, imagine hundreds of those on a battlefield, with your ultimate fate - if you lose - live heart extrusion?

I think I'd run.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397
    dr_spyn said:

I've removed it from my tv menu. The precautionary principle.
  • Options
    Disgraceful third world political trial forcing Trump into talking shit.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Yes, there is - I saw that too - but it doesn't feel like a clincher, does it? Until now there has always been something where I've thought - yes, definitely, AI, but this one hovers in a quantum superposition

This is it. We are going over the edge
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,873
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Looks normal to me. I think it’s a genuine photo.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,160

This is the liberal media at its worse.

TRUMP WON IN 2020. Therefore, irrespective of who happens to live in the White House, he was President in 2021.

(Sadly, this means he won't be eligible to stand this time around. But hey ho.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Brilliant

Good article on drone music here:
    https://www.honest-broker.com/p/drone-attacks-the-new-sound-of-contemporary

• Options

Leon said:

See what you think

But why wouldn't it be genuine? People have been taking photos like that for years
    Because AI is churning out thousands of these inages, daily, and they generally look like that - poignant, slightly stagey shots of little Palestinian kids staring wistfully at the camera, surrounded by carnage

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/ai-will-destroy-tv-news/

Until now I've always felt fairly confident in spotting them. This one, however, I dunno. And you think it is real - and you could be right. Scary
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Spurs now down to 9 men.

I've stuck a fiver on Spurs, because y'know.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Spurs now down to 9 men.

Albeit that may have been a mistake.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    kinabalu said:

dr_spyn said:

I've removed it from my tv menu. The precautionary principle.
    It was an excruciating outbreak of verbal diarrhoea, loosely linked to marches in London.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464
    Leon said:

See what you think

It's low res for sure but on balance I would say real*. Don't forget that photographers will touch up images, over working the picture can make it look more artificial.

The mundane things make it i.e. the bike wheel has had a few spokes replaced.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Brilliant

I think I'd run.
    On ancient battlefields, running was the start of the slaughter.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

It’s fairly low resolution, but just looks like an ill fitting (over large) sandal to me, FWIW.
    But Leon is correct; it’s not going to be very long at all before the better AIs will produce photos not at all easily distinguishable from real life scenes.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TRUMP WON IN 2020. Therefore, irrespective of who happens to live in the White House, he was President in 2021.

Nah - he hasn't served as President even though he is President, because of all the rigging. So he can serve again.

I jest, but I do wonder if Trump sometimes really believes he is still President. He and his lawyers (presumably knowing his moods) react very negatively if people do not call him by title, and while part of that is standard american weirdness abotu ex-officials, I've definitely heard them call him 'The President' multiple times, not 'Mr President' or 'President Trump'.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Brilliant

I think I'd run.
    First side to abandon discipline loses.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

He's untrustworthy and anything he says which is not corroborated in some fashion by other evidence is no doubt questionable, but that's presumably why the case is not, despite what Trump would claim, reliant on Cohen.
    When someone 'turns' to testify against the gangster they used to work for they're bound to be a wrong un - because they used to work for a gangster.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

On their genocidal enemy
    No

We need at least 25-30k, to ensure the elimination of Hamas

How many genocidal Hamas terrorists do you want to survive this?
    If you genuinely believe that then you are a certifiable lunatic. I have no doubt that Hamas are exaggerating the numbers of dead but given the nature of the conflict and the battleground I also have no doubt that there are far more innocent civilians dying than Hamas terrorists. So what you are actually saying is that you want tens of thousands of innocent civilians to die so you can pretend they have also killed all the terrorists (they won't kill them all of course because things are never that clear cut).

Whether Israel are actually doing that or not is impossible to say but the fact you are advocating it as a policy makes you utter scum as bad as Hamas.

I'm responding to Sunil's idiotic death tally

How does King Tyndall deal with his genocidal lunatic neighbour hiding under innocent civilians?

• Options

Foxy said:

Spurs now down to 9 men.

5th disallowed goal of the game.

I must admit I am enjoying no VAR in the Championship, it needs to be much quicker.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Because AI is churning out thousands of these inages, daily, and they generally look like that - poignant, slightly stagey shots of little Palestinian kids staring wistfully at the camera, surrounded by carnage

Until now I've always felt fairly confident in spotting them. This one, however, I dunno. And you think it is real - and you could be right. Scary
    What practical difference does it make? There's an endless quantity of (genuine) photos from the Syrian/Yemeni/Sudanese civil wars available to be repurposed, and has been for a long time. It's much harder to spot a genuine photo taken out of context than a fake one.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Brilliant

I think I'd run.
    War perhaps hasn’t changed so much in that respect ?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,155
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Nah - he hasn't served as President even though he is President, because of all the rigging. So he can serve again.

I jest, but I do wonder if Trump sometimes really believes he is still President. He and his lawyers (presumably knowing his moods) react very negatively if people do not call him by title, and while part of that is standard american weirdness abotu ex-officials, I've definitely heard them call him 'The President' multiple times, not 'Mr President' or 'President Trump'.
    I'm happy to settle for "the disgraced former President".
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Even if it is AI, it is not very good for propaganda purposes. No body parts, no horrible despicable actions to make you hate group xxx or organisation zzz. It advances neither side and most of the reportedly AI generated stuff I have seen is to outrage, to vilify, to "other" one of the sides of the conflict.

This famous photo was taken decades ago yet it is so unusual that many might suspect it was generated yesterday by AI

• Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Brilliant

I think I'd run.
    Tottenham to take note.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Even if it is AI, it is not very good for propaganda purposes. No body parts, no horrible despicable actions to make you hate group xxx or organisation zzz. It advances neither side and most of the reportedly AI generated stuff I have seen is to outrage, to vilify, to "other" one of the sides of the conflict.

This famous photo was taken decades ago yet it is so unusual that many might suspect it was generated yesterday by AI

Darren Grimes is busy making AI images to be outraged about. What a weird world we now live in.

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1721259645728157901?t=vIvU4haEOhQE_b1O3BH-Gw&s=19
  • Options

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

On their genocidal enemy
    No

If you genuinely believe that then you are a certifiable lunatic. I have no doubt that Hamas are exaggerating the numbers of dead but given the nature of the conflict and the battleground I also have no doubt that there are far more innocent civilians dying than Hamas terrorists. So what you are actually saying is that you want tens of thousands of innocent civilians to die so you can pretend they have also killed all the terrorists (they won't kill them all of course because things are never that clear cut).

Whether Israel are actually doing that or not is impossible to say but the fact you are advocating it as a policy makes you utter scum as bad as Hamas.

• Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Spurs now down to 9 men.

5th disallowed goal of the game.

I must admit I am enjoying no VAR in the Championship, it needs to be much quicker.
    I love the absence of VAR watching my povvo league 2 games. Come to think of it, I’m not sure I’ve been to an actual match where there has been VAR in use. Maybe an FA Cup game? Never seen it deployed though.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

When someone 'turns' to testify against the gangster they used to work for they're bound to be a wrong un - because they used to work for a gangster.
    That attitude killed quite a few people.

In the late 80s, the "legal route" faction in the permanent structure of UK government tried using the intelligence on the various groups in Northern Ireland to cultivate the so called "super grasses".

Faced with life in jail, senior members of both paramilitary factions turned States Evidence.

A river of cash was spent on lawyers - to get judgements, effectively striking down the evidence.

The response was simple - instead of recruiting señor paramilitaries for court cases, they were recruited as double agents. And given the task of hollowing out their sides. Which they did by framing, repeatedly, members of their organisations as traitors.

The peace process came about, in part, because the anti-peace process standouts were suffering from a slight case of death.

But hey, what works, right?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,257
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

With his leg at that angle, the sole of the foot should not be fully on the ground - it's at the very least uncomfortable.

But maybe it's real and it's just arabs not wanting to show the soles of their feet.

It's a tough one. The spokes look good.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

It’s fairly low resolution, but just looks like an ill fitting (over large) sandal to me, FWIW.
    But Leon is correct; it’s not going to be very long at all before the better AIs will produce photos not at all easily distinguishable from real life scenes.
    Yes, that's the point. We are weeks away - if we aren't there already - froim the terrifying moment when any image could be fake, and we simply won't know. Biden has promised to legislate on this, as has the EU (watermarks etc), but it is too late and it probably won't work anyway

Most people don't grasp the enormity of this. Not being able to trust any image or video. The ramifications are fundamental and frightening
  • Options

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

On their genocidal enemy
    No

Some other people believe terrorist numbers

You've mentioned that before

Not that that has ever stopped you
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

With his leg at that angle, the sole of the foot should not be fully on the ground - it's at the very least uncomfortable.

But maybe it's real and it's just arabs not wanting to show the soles of their feet.

This is not the singularity.

• Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Darren Grimes is busy making AI images to be outraged about. What a weird world we now live in.

https://twitter.com/darrengrimes_/status/1721259645728157901?t=vIvU4haEOhQE_b1O3BH-Gw&s=19
    The very fact of that no-mark’s media career is something I find continually baffling.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

The spokes are exactly the kind of detail that AI nails, really easily. They mean nothing

Until now it has been human body parts - esp hands, feet and hair, that have given it away

To me the foot looks slightly wrong, and the hair is suspiciously blurred and doesn't quite "fit". Yet I do not KNOW

Which is what makes me so uneasy
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,031
    edited November 2023

algarkirk said:

So at least 15k to go
    Terrorist propaganda?

On their genocidal enemy
    No

How does King Tyndall deal with his genocidal lunatic neighbour hiding under innocent civilians?

I have already made it absolutely clear a number of times on here. You assassinate all the Hamas leaders sitting safe in other countries directing these atrocities. And every time a new one pops up you make sure they can expect the same. And to forestall the objections on the grounds of legality, it is a hell of a lot more of a moral stance to take than your sad, pathetic copying of Arnaud Amalric.

Will it stop Hamas terrorism? No. Nothing can do that. Certainly not bombing innocent civilians in the hope you might get a few of the bad guys. At least my way you know that the people you are killing really are culpable.

I have sometimes been accused in the past on here (by Topping mostly) of getting angry and on all those occassions I genuinely haven't been. In your case I am. As I said, by advocating the mass murder of civilians just to get at the terrorists you are as bad as Hamas and their supporters. You should be ashamed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

The spokes are exactly the kind of detail that AI nails, really easily. They mean nothing

Until now it has been human body parts - esp hands, feet and hair, that have given it away

To me the foot looks slightly wrong, and the hair is suspiciously blurred and doesn't quite "fit". Yet I do not KNOW

Are there two wheels there or three? How are they that close to each other? They couldn’t be if they were actually attached to bikes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Actually, I think it's fake. Look at the hairline above his right eye (his left eye to the viewer) - it's truly strange. The blurred hairline

Also his left ear is exploding from his face, and is actually detached, which is a tiny bit of a giveaway

I'm 99.3% sure it is fake
  • Options
    it's obviously fake. Look at the ears
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2023
    Who foresaw Spurs getting drubbed...? They are renowned for choking.....
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

The very fact of that no-mark’s media career is something I find continually baffling.
    He does seem to be the thickest of the bunch. Quite a few of the populist right types are quite smart in their own way, but not this one.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

He does seem to be the thickest of the bunch. Quite a few of the populist right types are quite smart in their own way, but not this one.
    Him and Disneyland Calvin.
  • Options
    So it's a fake, yet most people on here - not an unintelligent sample of people - thought it was real, even after analysing it

That's where we are. If PB can't get it right, what chance the average punter on the Croydon tram?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

The ears look fine IMO
    > Children's ears often do look odd & larger than they should
    > His face is tilted up meaning they look displaced

I will say the posture is a little ungainly particularly the position of his left arm but children are bendy so not sure.
  • Options
    My preferred solution would actually be a "One-State Solution", where members of both the communities could live, pray and work wherever they wanted. Something akin to Bosnia. I confess, it would be completely crazy.

And yet, the Dayton Agreement in 1995 ended the Bosnian conflict, and the Serbs and Bosniaks (and Croats) are no longer lobbing rockets and/or tank shells at one another, correct? They're no longer killing one another. Soo, something akin to the Dayton settlement. Also, Jerusalem would have to be a neutral zone of some kind, given it's holy to not just Jews and Muslims, but Christians too.

The thing that unsettles me about the two-state solution, is that any Israelis living in putative Palestinian land would be seen as "settlers", "Zionists", etc., whereas any Arabs living in Israel would be seen as "fifth columists", "terrorists", etc., correct? A recipe for Apartheid by both sides, I would think.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So it's a fake, yet most people on here - not an unintelligent sample of people - thought it was real, even after analysing it

That's where we are. If PB can't get it right, what chance the average punter on the Croydon tram?

Pas moi, though honestly I’m like Diogenes in his barrel these days.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Dunno, I recall there was a PBer who touted Grimes as the smart young face of the new right media. He looks (and sounds) like a rubbish AI creation to me.
  • Options

Leon said:

Children's ears often do look odd & larger than they should
    So do kings'.
  • Options

Leon said:

The ears look fine IMO
    lol no. His left ear is detached from his head, and there is that weird blurriness there - where his left ear SHOULD be- which is absolutely typical of image-making AI when it fucks up

99.8% fake. I am sure. There are other anomalies - the red straw, the bizarre shaped human at the back right, etc

However it has cleverly been done as a low res photo making it truly hard to detect, at first or even second glance

• Options
    edited November 2023

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Dunno, I recall there was a PBer who touted Grimes as the smart young face of the new right media. He looks (and sounds) like a rubbish AI creation to me.
    If we're going on a scale Tom Harwood seems a bit more savvy than Grimes, though he's very woke on trans issues IIRC, so surprised he's kept his job at GBNews.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m not convinced it’s an AI - the apparent detached ear is pink blankets further back. The blurring around the ear is the sort of thing you get on touched up and edited photos.

But assuming we’ll get many more very convincing AI fakes in future it’s going to require more fact checking and sourcing by news organisations. Only accept images from reputable sources.

It probably puts an end to mass media use of general public and social media content. An extension of what they’ve needed to do with photoshop for sometime anyway. If AI images show apparent acts of violence or injuries for
    example then the onus will be on the source to give corroborative evidence. We’ll all be taught (as my children already are at school) to exercise scepticism about any images online. The camera never lies was already a lie.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The ears look fine IMO
    lol no. His left ear is detached from his head, and there is that weird blurriness there - where his left ear SHOULD be- which is absolutely typical of image-making AI when it fucks up

99.8% fake. I am sure. There are other anomalies - the red straw, the bizarre shaped human at the back right, etc

However it has cleverly been done as a low res photo making it truly hard to detect, at first or even second glance

That's not his left ear, that's something in the background. It's out of focus because it's some way behind the boy.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
    Foxy said:

Utterly engrossing.

On the ITV player both the best Sci Fi horror film of the 1950s (Invasion of the Bodysnatchers) and the brilliant NZ film "Once Were Warriors" are worth catching too.
    (I will resist the urge to go thru all the sci-fi 1950s films and rate them, and will instead acknowledge that IotBS has a good claim. I will however briefly mention the Quatermass Experiment, When Worlds Collide, and The Day The Earth Stood Still, accompanied with a brief cough)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

If we're going on a scale Tom Harwood seems a bit more savvy than Grimes, though he's very woke on trans issues IIRC, so surprised he's kept his job at GBNews.
    My impression is he’s several orders of magnitude more intelligent than Grimes.
  • Options
    I hope this example is a fake one, because it seems really dumb

@jburnmurdoch
    Britain’s planning system is a monumental act of national self-sabotage, exhibit #4729.

A big new data centre (which the country really needs) right next to a huge motorway is refused permission because “the buildings would be visible from the bridges across the motorway”

@robfordmancs
    This kind of utter insanity just makes my brain melt. Vital to protect the essential national heritage, glorious views of M25 flyovers enjoyed by a handful of asthmatic sheep.

I remember when reading Polish history much discussion of the "Liberum Veto" - a rule, which the Polish were exceptionally proud about, whereby any single nobleman to veto policy on anything, for any reason. Our planning system is the Liberum Veto planning system.

The Liberum Veto, incidentally, sent Poland into a long slow spiral of national decline, as Polish leaders could never get anything done, regardless of how urgent or obvious the need was. There was always some idiot who would veto it. The end to that story was Poland being wiped out by neighbours better able to invest in things like armies and roads

https://nitter.net/robfordmancs/status/1721547711680233700#m
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

I’m not convinced it’s an AI - the apparent detached ear is pink blankets further back. The blurring around the ear is the sort of thing you get on touched up and edited photos.

But assuming we’ll get many more very convincing AI fakes in future it’s going to require more fact checking and sourcing by news organisations. Only accept images from reputable sources.

It probably puts an end to mass media use of general public and social media content. An extension of what they’ve needed to do with photoshop for sometime anyway. If AI images show apparent acts of violence or injuries for
    example then the onus will be on the source to give corroborative evidence. We’ll all be taught (as my children already are at school) to exercise scepticism about any images online. The camera never lies was already a lie.
    It's really not "pink blankets"

I've spent the last year generating images for AI and writing about them for the Knapper's Gazette (AI image supplement) so I know the signs. That eerie blurring by the left ear is exactly what you get when AI kinda spazzes out and thinks "fuck it I can't do ears" (or fingers or toes or eyes)

I will happily eat humble muffins galore if you can prove it is real. I know that is hard! Until I see evidence otherwise I am saying this is fake
  • Options

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

I thought you meant the singer who was a surrogate mother of one/more of Elons children.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,046
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

I know one cell amoebas who exhibit more intelligence than Grimes...
  • Options
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Ghedebrav said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

See what you think

Pause. Now, that's not actually difficult, is it?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

The ears look fine IMO

I'm pretty sure its low res because the Italian news site compresses its photos bigly to reduce costs. Look at their images, all are small sizes.

https://www.aise.it/categoria/esteri/3
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Utterly engrossing.

(I will resist the urge to go thru all the sci-fi 1950s films and rate them, and will instead acknowledge that IotBS has a good claim. I will however briefly mention the Quatermass Experiment, When Worlds Collide, and The Day The Earth Stood Still, accompanied with a brief cough)
    Yes, these are some other good candidates, but I love the creeping spookiness and paranoia of IotBS. It shows that the best horror is implied.
  • Options
    This here. What photographer sends out an image like this, with these blurs?

On the contrary, I know for a fact AI produces these weird blurs

• Options
    I think you might have a discipline problem in the ranks mate. Or are making an absurd lie which will shockingly be believed by many.

A senior Hamas leader has refused to acknowledge that his group killed civilians in Israel, claiming only conscripts were targeted.

Moussa Abu Marzouk told the BBC that "women, children and civilians were exempt" from Hamas's attacks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67321241
  • Options
    Leon said:

Also in this photo the black collar of his shirt is all wrong on the right side (for the viewer) - how is the white cloth suddenly obscuring the black?

The more you look, the more anomalies you see

• Options
    Leon said:

There’s one surefire way of finding out, which would probably make for an interesting little diversion if one had time: ask the source. They are a news agency, so their images will presumably be sourced. They can then either answer with the name of the photographer or the agency they bought if from. If the latter, then you can ask them. Ultimately you’d be able to trace it back either to a genuine photographer or a mysterious/unreliable source in which case you could conclude it’s fake.

News outlets like the beeb will have to do that kind of thing as a matter of course in future, as they already do to some extent to rule out old reposted photos, another scourge of social media.
This discussion has been closed.