Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why Labour’s large leads could be a chimera – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited November 2023 in General
imageWhy Labour’s large leads could be a chimera – politicalbetting.com

Can the Tories win back waverers?New exclusive polling by Sky News and @YouGov gives a hint that a crucial group of voters may still be up for grabs.@SamCoatesSky has more on the data ?#PoliticsHub https://t.co/GlTNastFii? Sky 501, Virgin 602, Freeview 233 and YouTube pic.twitter.com/RWlM3iLJGV

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like Starmer or is this another chimera?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    True first.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,330
    edited November 2023
    First 'real' reply
  • Options
    First proper 'real' reply:

Isn't this exactly what people were saying before 1997?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited November 2023
    Sri Lanka, blimey.

South Africa breaking the habit of a lifetime and not choking is the only way India don't win the world cup.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Is this not the same point we had a few threads ago? A lot of Tories are not saying Labour, they are saying "don't know". They may yet vote Tory, however unenthusiastically. Maybe. Or maybe not.
  • Options

A little bit, it's that approval rating lead that is different.

In 1997 Blair still led with this type of demographic IIRC.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,419

Sri Lanka, blimey.

Only if South Africa break the habit of a lifetime and avoid a choke then India have won this world cup.

Eh?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,830

First like Starmer or is this another chimera?

I don't know.
    Sometimes it's hard to separate the goats from the lions and the snakes.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Is this not the same point we had a few threads ago? A lot of Tories are not saying Labour, they are saying "don't know". They may yet vote Tory, however unenthusiastically. Maybe. Or maybe not.

Yes but that 68% lead Sunak has is what is new/different.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sri Lanka, blimey.

Only if South Africa break the habit of a lifetime and avoid a choke then India have won this world cup.

Eh?
    Failure at multitasking, fixed now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Sri Lanka, blimey.

Eh?
    I'm not sure the change is much better, to be honest.

May I suggest:

South Africa breaking the habit of a lifetime and not choking is the only way India don't win the world cup.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Oh, ok, but to me the more important characteristics are that these people are of a certain age (much older than average) and class (significantly wealthier). People in these categories have a strong tendency to vote. I don't believe the old rule of "don't know = non voter" applies to them.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    edited November 2023
    I think there are enough voters there to take the Conservatives to 31-34% on the day, but nowhere near enough to win. I think that even the most loyal Conservatives know that the party could not survive another term in government.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Sri Lanka, blimey.

Eh?
    I'm not sure the change is much better, to be honest.

May I suggest:

Done.
  • Options

A little bit, it's that approval rating lead that is different.

In 1997 Blair still led with this type of demographic IIRC.
    But to me, it seems quite clear
    That it's all just a little bit of history repeating
  • Options
    The thing that has given me pause is the really, really negative numbers for Starmer in that sample.

That isn’t just a “meh, he’s ok”. That’s a full scale dislike. If that in any way holds then the Tory challenge is to try and weaponise that and get those people out to vote.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    First of a different kind: I've just heard Now and Then.
  • Options

Sri Lanka, blimey.

India a making a pie of it. SL 22/7.
  • Options
    On now is the 41st anniversary edition of Countdown, which means today is the 41st anniversary of Channel 4.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 912
    Sorry but SKS may be boring and possibly ineffectual, but he doesn't frighten the horses. He is not Corbyn and however much the Tory press try they won't be able to turn into a hate figure. From speaking to voters on the doorstep, not just in by-elections, people will find someone else to vote for other than the Conservative -5% for Reform - more if Farage gets involved - will help Labour get home.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437

DavidL said:

Ah well. The Tory landslide defeat at the next election was fun while we were all imagining it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,555

The thing that has given me pause is the really, really negative numbers for Starmer in that sample.

That isn’t just a “meh, he’s ok”. That’s a full scale dislike. If that in any way holds then the Tory challenge is to try and weaponise that and get those people out to vote.

Agreed. But to really capitalise on the Starmer “meh” factor the Tories need a really good, charismatic leader as a contrast

That’s not Sunak (who is OK, but not inspiring) neither is it any of the leading candidates to replace him

The Tories need to go into opposition and find a hidden Blair or Thatcher
  • Options

DavidL said:

Ah well. The Tory landslide defeat at the next election was fun while we were all imagining it.
    And it will be even more fun when it's happening in about 12 months.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    Leon said:

Agreed. But to really capitalise on the Starmer “meh” factor the Tories need a really good, charismatic leader as a contrast

That’s not Sunak (who is OK, but not inspiring) neither is it any of the leading candidates to replace him

The answer is hiding in full view - Andrea Leadsom!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

On now is the 41st anniversary edition of Countdown, which means today is the 41st anniversary of Channel 4.

Scarily, I remember it so clearly.

(Although, perhaps even scarier if I couldn't remember it at all...)
  • Options

DavidL said:

It could still happen.

Polls aren’t static and this could change.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277
    If all of the Reform and Undecideds go back to the Tories, that gives them 75% of their 2019 GB share of 44.3% which 33.5%. That isn't enough.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    DavidL said:

Sri Lanka, blimey.

Bumrah's 1-8 off 5 overs are pretty shabby figures.
    No wonder he's been taken off.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

If all of the Reform and Undecideds go back to the Tories, that gives them 75% of their 2019 GB share of 44.3% which 33.5%. That isn't enough.

I know which is why I wrote in the header.

I am not saying that the Tories will win the next election but it is possible that Labour fail to win a majority because of this key demographic
  • Options

DavidL said:

Probably a chimera?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,912
    One thing you rarely hear on this topic is what proportion of did-not-voters are now saying Labour. If 10% of voters move from Tory to DNV and 10% of DNV move from DNV to Labour it has the same effect as 10% move from Tory to Labour.

As Corbyn was so unpopular it is likely there were a considerable Labourish voters who decided to stay at home in 2019.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,437
    dixiedean said:

DavidL said:

Sri Lanka, blimey.

Bumrah's 1-8 off 5 overs are pretty shabby figures.
    No wonder he's been taken off.
    When the bowler, Shami, who replaced him has 4-1 then you have to wonder whether Bumrah was having an off day.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I am not saying that the Tories will win the next election but it is possible that Labour fail to win a majority because of this key demographic
    However.
    If the Scottish figures are anything like the polls yesterday, the bar for Labour is so much lower than previously imagined.
    34 for the Tories is unlikely to force a Hung Parliament with Labour ahead in Scotland.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Was interesting at the last election to hear on the doorsteps how people had really taken against the leader of the LibDems, Jo Swinson. This time around, I haven't heard active dislike of Starmer - but have not heard a single person who is enthusiastic about him.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Personally, I think things are only going to get worse for the Tories the longer they hang on.

I may be accused of wishful thinking but, no, my wishful thinking would be for them not to hang on any longer - go to the country now Sunak, while you have slim chance of avoiding a Tory meltdown.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Personally, I think things are only going to get worse for the Tories the longer they hang on.

I may be accused of wishful thinking but, no, my wishful thinking would be for them not to hang on any longer - go to the country now Sunak, while you have slim chance of avoiding a Tory meltdown.
    Wishful thinking.
  • Options
    The number of appalling mismatches in this World Cup hasn't been a great advert for ODI cricket.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,090

Hard to believe people would vote this sorry bunch of useless crooked ne'er do wells back in, need to be real gluttons for punishment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The number of appalling mismatches in this World Cup hasn't been a great advert for ODI cricket.

I know, and we've got England versus Netherlands to come.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I know, and we've got England versus Netherlands to come.
    Yeah, and the Netherlands winning by ten wickets will be salt in our wounds.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,458
    Leon said:

A big problem facing the Tories is their unpopularity with women - which is a big change from the normal. They will need to address that in opposition with a leadership team that demonstrably understands issues that concern female voters - and that means avoiding like the plague the sort of people they have elected in the past such as Tory boys (Hague, Cameron), wonks (Sunak), or idealogues (IDS).

Who does that leave? I would respectfully suggest a front-bench dominated by women of whom the Tories have quite a few options: Mordaunt, Badenoch, Donelan, Keegan to name but four. (Maybe not Braverman). With one of them leader, and the others in leading positions, post 2024 politics could become quite interesting.

• Options

Was interesting at the last election to hear on the doorsteps how people had really taken against the leader of the LibDems, Jo Swinson. This time around, I haven't heard active dislike of Starmer - but have not heard a single person who is enthusiastic about him.
    What are the enthusiasm numbers for Rishi?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Hard to believe people would vote this sorry bunch of useless crooked ne'er do wells back in, need to be real gluttons for punishment.
    I can’t see it either.

But I can just about see a hung parliament - potentially.

I find the next GE really tough to call. One day I’m thinking we could be looking at a landslide to rival 97, the next an underwhelming Labour largest party. There appears to be a lot of conflicting data and smoke signals.

What I really don’t see is the Tories clinging on.
  • Options
    Sri Lanka pass Canada's record low World Cup score of 36.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    edited November 2023

Ahem, that’s Prime Minister Jo Swinson I think you’ll find!

Yes that one was odd. People did take against her for some reason. I do think people had a bit of a titter about her claiming she was going to be the PM, but beyond that there wasn’t really a lot to actively dislike about her, even if you disagreed with her Brexit stance.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,277

DougSeal said:

Easy there! My post was more self-reassurance than criticism of you,
  • Options
    A grim account of Jewish settler violence in the West Bank

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/02/world/middleeast/west-bank-palestinians-israel-settlers.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I don’t see this getting anywhere but much worse. And the chances of a wider war expand daily
  • Options

Leon said:

A big problem facing the Tories is their unpopularity with women - which is a big change from the normal. They will need to address that in opposition with a leadership team that demonstrably understands issues that concern female voters - and that means avoiding like the plague the sort of people they have elected in the past such as Tory boys (Hague, Cameron), wonks (Sunak), or idealogues (IDS).

Who does that leave? I would respectfully suggest a front-bench dominated by women of whom the Tories have quite a few options: Mordaunt, Badenoch, Donelan, Keegan to name but four. (Maybe not Braverman). With one of them leader, and the others in leading positions, post 2024 politics could become quite interesting.

My vote is braverman and I reckon she could be much more popular than the commentariat (which despises her) complacently assumes
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

My vote is braverman and I reckon she could be much more popular than the commentariat (which despises her) complacently assumes
    Yeah, never misunderestimate a Cambridge educated lawyer, they are the best, particularly ones of Asian heritage.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Braverman is going to be leader, IMHO.

And yes, I fear you are right on the second point too. I am not sure if she can win an election, but she can certainly be an effective demagogue. I didn’t think she could be, but listen to her recent speeches - she’s improved markedly, and she comes across well.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah, never misunderestimate a Cambridge educated lawyer, they are the best, particularly ones of Asian heritage.
    I'm going to keep a close eye on her footwear choices.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

'the commentariat' - you mean Spectator writers and the like?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168
    Yes, if Sunak wins almost all 2019 Conservative voters who are now undecided who are backing RefUK he could get a hung parliament. However if Starmer wins back enough seats from the SNP who could still get a small Labour majority
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    DougSeal said:

I think that’s about right. Except that there may be fewer voters over all, and there’s a bit of “swing back” to come.

Over all, I think the Tory realistic hope is probably a Blair 05 win for Starmer, but on the new boundaries. You get some flavour of Labour led Gvt but it’s weak and the Tories can hope to bounce back if they recover quickly and sober up.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Michelle for Shami. I thought he was a bit unlucky not to get MoTM against England surely he'll get it here.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

Ahem, that’s Prime Minister Jo Swinson I think you’ll find!

Yes that one was odd. People did take against her for some reason. I do think people had a bit of a titter about her claiming she was going to be the PM, but beyond that there wasn’t really a lot to actively dislike about her, even if you disagreed with her Brexit stance.
    To be fair to Jo Swinson, politicians had found a cause (Brexit) they were prepared to die in a ditch for. Something that hadn’t happen in many decades.

Both the major parties *could* have undergone the kind of epochal event that turned the old Liberals into a minor party.

She was trying to grasp that moment.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited November 2023
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm going to keep a close eye on her footwear choices.
    I have reported her to the fashion police over her student days.

• Options
    Leon said:

Depends on the economy, if it is poor under a Labour government they would be back in contention even with a dull leader (and Thatcher wasn't that popular anyway when she first became Tory leader)
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

I think you're underunderestimating her chances tbh.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

Wishful thinking :lol:
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,361
    Sean_F said:

I think there are enough voters there to take the Conservatives to 31-34% on the day, but nowhere near enough to win. I think that even the most loyal Conservatives know that the party could not survive another term in government.

Could the country survive another term?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,622

DougSeal said:

Yes. I have thought for ages that NOM is value in the betting, and I still think so.

Having said that, not long ago I expected a poll with a 10 point Labour lead by Christmas, and that is looking unlikely.

Of betting and political interest equally is the great range of possibilities in the middle - the big area of trench warfare where the Tories lose more than about 45/50 seats (losing control) but Labour fail to gain about 115-120 seats (failing to gain control).

Numbers are imprecise because of SF, and the unpredictability of perfidious DUP.
  • Options
    Leon said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/02/world/middleeast/west-bank-palestinians-israel-settlers.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I don’t see this getting anywhere but much worse. And the chances of a wider war expand daily

I do not foresee a wider war but the odd lone wolf terrorist attack would be no great surprise. Thankfully in this country mostly calm heads have prevailed so far.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    eristdoof said:

One thing you rarely hear on this topic is what proportion of did-not-voters are now saying Labour. If 10% of voters move from Tory to DNV and 10% of DNV move from DNV to Labour it has the same effect as 10% move from Tory to Labour.

As Corbyn was so unpopular it is likely there were a considerable Labourish voters who decided to stay at home in 2019.

I think that's right, just as I think a lot of the Tory "undecided" voters will stay at home next time.
  • Options
    I'm torn tbh. Much as I'd enjoy seeing the Tories absolutely trounced, there something to be said for Labour needing the support of the LDs to govern - might boost a move from FPTP, closer ties to Europe.

So long as we don't get a 1992 repeat. Imagine, five more years of this lot.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,458
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Hmm. I seem to recall you were a Truss proponent.

However, tbf, Braverman, though I'm not keen, is far more persuasive that Truss and almost certainly possesses a political antennae which La Truss manifestly didn't. I think she could, as you say, confound the commentariat with her direct no-nonsense approach.

OTOH I wonder if she will be able to hold the party together. May be seen as the "final straw" by the moderate end of the parliamentary party.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Braverman, my MP, has a record of making terrible decisions.

Brexit - the harder the better.
    Liz Truss for leader.
    Backing Kwasi on the abolition of the 45% tax rate

Her decisions have cost the average voter quite a lot of money, not a great start to making her 'much more popular'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

So if it does get much worse will this mean you've 'called it'?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

Could the country survive another term?
    Yes. If the Tories get another term, it will be because they have seriously upped their game in the year before an election.

And Starmer will look like he is not up to the top job.

An election tends to concentrate minds all round.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

However, tbf, Braverman, though I'm not keen, is far more persuasive that Truss and almost certainly possesses a political antennae which La Truss manifestly didn't. I think she could, as you say, confound the commentariat with her direct no-nonsense approach.

OTOH I wonder if she will be able to hold the party together. May be seen as the "final straw" by the moderate end of the parliamentary party.
    You've really detected no nonsense from her direction ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I can’t see it either.

But I can just about see a hung parliament - potentially.

I find the next GE really tough to call. One day I’m thinking we could be looking at a landslide to rival 97, the next an underwhelming Labour largest party. There appears to be a lot of conflicting data and smoke signals.

What I really don’t see is the Tories clinging on.
    Landslide is the clear betting fav now. If you're not sold on it (I am) there's value punting the other way.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Haley enjoying twisting the knife.
    Not a bad effort.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/02/haley-desantis-2024-00124962
    ...“Are you wearing higher heels than Ron DeSantis next week at the debate so you can look taller than him on the stage?” Charlamagne Tha God, who is guest hosting “The Daily Show,” asked Haley Wednesday night.

“I don’t know. We’ll have to figure that out. I can tell you I’ve always talked about my high heels. I’ve never hid that from anybody,” Haley responded. “I’ve always said, don’t wear them if you can’t run in them. So we’ll see if he can run in them.”

DeSantis’ campaign didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, but has vehemently denied the heel accusations in the past. In a POLITICO article this week about the matter, a DeSantis campaign spokesperson called it a “hit piece” and said the presidential candidate doesn’t pad his boots...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Braverman, my MP, has a record of making terrible decisions.

Brexit - the harder the better.
    Liz Truss for leader.
    Backing Kwasi on the abolition of the 45% tax rate

Her decisions have cost the average voter quite a lot of money, not a great start to making her 'much more popular'.
    Ah, but listen to a speech by her and you’ll see her political strategy.

She is going for the “I will say what others won’t,” strategy. Essentially, the Trump playbook. And unfortunately there has for many years been an undercurrent in this country of exasperation with how politics works, how politicians behave, how they don’t, allegedly, focus on the priorities of the man on the street.

This sort of attitude led to Brexit. I’d like to think we’ve learned our lesson on that front, but I’m not convinced. Braverman is going to make a pitch for that, and it’s going to be messy. Think culture war turned up to max, the immigration hot potato becoming even hotter, and a lot of outrageous stuff being said.

Dont believe me? See her speech in Washington and her conference speech. She is gearing up for this.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was actually a severe Truss sceptic - go back and look at my remarks during the first leadership debate - "she's unbelievably bad" etc

However I did lapse for about two days into a fit of insane deluded optimism about Truss. It was a stern lesson to myself in the follies of Hopecasting. I so WANTED to believe the Tories had found a sharp, smart, charismatic, Leaver leader, able to sort out the mess of Boris and Co, that I convinced myself, for about 48 hours, that Truss was it

Not my best moment

Braverman feels different. Sane, grounded, intelligent. She has firm right wing views that make her anathema to many, but she doesn't strike me as mad and she has a lot of self belief - and quite an impressive backstory, educationally. She really isn't dim - an accusation hurled at her, absurdly

Who knows. Badenoch comes over as a touch lightweight. Mordaunt is odd, telegenic but odd. And also lightweight

Those seem to be the main three contenders, ATM, it would be marv if someone new and dazzling emerged..
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,070
    As someone who normally switches his vote between LibDem and Labour, I went Labour last time because a) I really didn’t like Jo Swindon’s attitude and b) I thought Labour had a better chance of beating Priti Patel (!).
    I wasn’t very worried by Corbyn, because I thought he was suffering, and suffered in the past, a lot of unfair and inaccurate criticism from the Conservative press.
    I’m not at all sure I trust Starmer; as a politician he’s seriously short of experience, as shown by his shilly-shallying approach to Europe and the Middle East.
    However I could be prepared to vote Labour if their candidate had a sliver of a chance against Madam Patel!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

DougSeal said:

Ha ! Wishful thinking sir.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

No. To my mind you can only say you "called it" if you go against the prevailing wisdom, or you challenge some consensus

I did that with Covid, Lab Leak, Ukraine, AI, and others (in my extremely humble opinion)

I'm hardly alone in fearing a wider war springing from this dreadful Gaza conflict
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

You do wonder whether she might be the straw that breaks the Labour leadership's back on its opposition to PR, for that very reason.
  • Options

Leon said:

I do not foresee a wider war but the odd lone wolf terrorist attack would be no great surprise. Thankfully in this country mostly calm heads have prevailed so far.
    The most likely outcome is that Israel hammers Gaza for a while longer before declaring victory and pulling out, leaving the rest of the world to pick up the pieces. The blockade will continue, and Israel will erect very solid defences between itself and Gaza with extremely limited border crossings. The Gazans will carry living in enforced poverty, and the world will gradually forget about them again.
  • Options
    FWIW I have met some hardcore Jewish Settler types

They can be deeply unpleasant. Filled with a poper Messianic zeal, replete with religious self belief, suffused with their own racial supremacy - actual proper cold-eyed Nazis - the mirror image of the Islamists

It s a toxic mix in a volatile place. Like using a naked flame to illuminate a room full of gunpowder
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    A
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

No. To my mind you can only say you "called it" if you go against the prevailing wisdom, or you challenge some consensus

I did that with Covid, Lab Leak, Ukraine, AI, and others (in my extremely humble opinion)

I'm hardly alone in fearing a wider war springing from this dreadful Gaza conflict
    Not sure how a wider war gets started.

The Arab world doesn’t want another standup war with Israel. Aside from the nuclear thing, the history is not good. Most of their leaders are “Presidents For Life”. Loosing a war is quite possibly fatal.

And they have the recent evidence that a lot of their Russian toys are not exactly winners.

Israel could strike Iran, I suppose, but to what end?
  • Options

I'm torn tbh. Much as I'd enjoy seeing the Tories absolutely trounced, there something to be said for Labour needing the support of the LDs to govern - might boost a move from FPTP, closer ties to Europe.

So long as we don't get a 1992 repeat. Imagine, five more years of this lot.

If Starmer needs the LDs to govern, that means he will not be able to get his new housing in the greenbelt and new towns plans through
  • Options

Leon said:

The most likely outcome is that Israel hammers Gaza for a while longer before declaring victory and pulling out, leaving the rest of the world to pick up the pieces. The blockade will continue, and Israel will erect very solid defences between itself and Gaza with extremely limited border crossings. The Gazans will carry living in enforced poverty, and the world will gradually forget about them again.
    Sadly I think you are correct. And, again sadly, the Israeli settlers will keep nibbling away at Palestinian villages on the West Bank, without any serious criticism from the outside world.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

Until Hamas rebuilds and launches its next attack on Israel again, only a genuine 2 state solution works
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Haley enjoying twisting the knife.
    Not a bad effort.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/02/haley-desantis-2024-00124962
    ...“Are you wearing higher heels than Ron DeSantis next week at the debate so you can look taller than him on the stage?” Charlamagne Tha God, who is guest hosting “The Daily Show,” asked Haley Wednesday night.

“I don’t know. We’ll have to figure that out. I can tell you I’ve always talked about my high heels. I’ve never hid that from anybody,” Haley responded. “I’ve always said, don’t wear them if you can’t run in them. So we’ll see if he can run in them.”

DeSantis’ campaign didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, but has vehemently denied the heel accusations in the past. In a POLITICO article this week about the matter, a DeSantis campaign spokesperson called it a “hit piece” and said the presidential candidate doesn’t pad his boots...

Your truly more than old enough to remember, how vehemently Ronald Reagan, his entourage and party, used to deny that HE died HIS hair.

However, as recounted by LA Times:

"Ronald Reagan always denied he hued his hair. But author Kitty Kelley scooped the world and revealed in her unauthorized biography about Nancy Reagan more than 10 years ago that the president’s gray roots were dyed regularly--in secret, of course, and by Nancy’s hairdresser, Julius--since 1968. When Reagan’s head was shaved for surgery after he left the White House, his hair grew back gray. Still, his handlers denied that he had previously colored it."

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2002-may-24-lv-dye24-story.html

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    'Israelites have always been at war with Canaanites. Since the beginning of your life, since the beginning of the Party, since the beginning of history, the war has continued without a break, always the same war. Do you remember that?'

Israelites = Oceania, Canaanites = East Asia
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Until Hamas rebuilds and launches its next attack on Israel again, only a genuine 2 state solution works
    Is the West Bank plus the Gaza Strip able to function as a viable state?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,834
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Are you suggesting that she will surprise on the upside?

And where have we heard that before...
  • Options

A

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Not sure how a wider war gets started.

The Arab world doesn’t want another standup war with Israel. Aside from the nuclear thing, the history is not good. Most of their leaders are “Presidents For Life”. Loosing a war is quite possibly fatal.

And they have the recent evidence that a lot of their Russian toys are not exactly winners.

Israel could strike Iran, I suppose, but to what end?
    The most likely escalation - at least at first - is on the northern border. Say Hezbollah wades in, with the assistance of Iran. Hezbollah are a potent force, and they will worry Israel. So Israel responds by bombarding southern Lebanon

Then you have a wider war? Who knows how it unfurls from there

I don't think this is probable, but it is certainly very possible, and the possibiity grows as the nightmare in Gaza continues (ditto the West Bank)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

No. And frankly global diplomats serious about peace need to be more imaginative about their solutions.
  • Options
    Shades of Samson . . . and Boris?

NYT ($) - The Shearing of Sam Bankman-Fried
    The disgraced crypto king, on trial for financial fraud, takes the stand. But his hair tells its own story.

Imagine if Sam Bankman-Fried, the founder of the crypto trading firm FTX and defendant in one of the largest financial fraud trials in history, was actually named Samson, rather than Samuel. Like the biblical character, Mr. Bankman-Fried’s symbolic shearing for his courtroom appearance may become a fabled reflection of promise brought low in the tales to come of our digital age.

As Mr. Bankman-Fried took the stand on Friday in federal court in Manhattan to begin testifying in his own defense — to explain his actions as having been made in good faith, even if they had bad results — it was hard not to think that his newly cropped do, created by a fellow jail inmate, according to a person familiar with the situation, and paired with a subdued gray suit, white shirt and purple tie, wasn’t just a dress code choice, but a metaphor. An apologia writ in hair about what happens when a muscular intellect is married to frail corporate governance. . . .

. . . from the beginning it was by Mr. Bankman-Fried’s hair that so many knew him. The wild halo of dark curls that looked as if it had never met a brush and, according to Michael Lewis in “Going Infinite,” his new book about Mr. Bankman-Fried and FTX, resembled “the hairdo of a lunatic.” The hair that suggested Einstein, electric sockets and some sort of giant brain underneath. . . .

But now the hair is no more. . .

Without the hair, in his playing-by-the-rules get-up, Mr. Bankman-Fried seems kind of … average. This guy — a criminal mastermind? Look at him! He looks like the nerd next door. He clearly did not intend to defraud his investors. He is trying hard to obey the rules. He’s going to, in the words of the George Thorogood song, “get a haircut and get a real job.” . . .
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I was actually a severe Truss sceptic - go back and look at my remarks during the first leadership debate - "she's unbelievably bad" etc

However I did lapse for about two days into a fit of insane deluded optimism about Truss. It was a stern lesson to myself in the follies of Hopecasting. I so WANTED to believe the Tories had found a sharp, smart, charismatic, Leaver leader, able to sort out the mess of Boris and Co, that I convinced myself, for about 48 hours, that Truss was it

Not my best moment

Braverman feels different. Sane, grounded, intelligent. She has firm right wing views that make her anathema to many, but she doesn't strike me as mad and she has a lot of self belief - and quite an impressive backstory, educationally. She really isn't dim - an accusation hurled at her, absurdly

Who knows. Badenoch comes over as a touch lightweight. Mordaunt is odd, telegenic but odd. And also lightweight

Those seem to be the main three contenders, ATM, it would be marv if someone new and dazzling emerged..
    Braverman is modern politics at its worst - shallow, cynical, posturing and incompetent. No doubt she will go far.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589
    On the header, it strikes me that rather a lot of weight is being attached to the specific findings of an individual poll. Other evidence is available, including a year's worth of regular opinion polls and local and by-election results, that suggests that the Tories are well and truly fucked.
    And, of course, polls can change. In both directions.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,568

Leon said:

Leon said:

Her speech at conference was the only half-decent showing by a member of the Cabinet and showed serious intent.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Leon said:

Leon said:

Her speech at conference was the only half-decent showing by a member of the Cabinet and showed serious intent.
    To endanger life?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes, if Hamas is eliminated from the latter, otherwise war will continue indefinitely
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Lawyers term that mens rea.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,589

Leon said:

Leon said:

What, even better than Penny's lengthy and repetitive "Stand Up And Fight" performance?
This discussion has been closed.