Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Today reconfirmed why the Tories were right to ditch Boris Johnson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited October 2023
    stodge said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

Yes, total sympathy with Boris here. He was saying what everyone was saying. The idea these concepts should not be broached- by the PM - is insane. No doubt Churchill had pretty robust and ugly arguments during WW2, about the deaths of various civilians, He was simply lucky he didn’t have them recorded on WhatsApp

I agree. It’s this Inquiry culture, following Iraq, that drove all decision making on to WhatsApp (and presumably now has made it all verbal). People in the midst of making impossible decisions need a bit of latitude to make them, and have the real detail secret for years, so that future historians at least have the detail.
    I'm not so certain.

Government has a degree of accountability, not least to the electorate, and transparency, so we know the reasons why decisions were taken in our name.

Many individuals have kept diaries as their record of events - perhaps less for future inquiries as for future memoirs. It's been possible for those cited unfavourably in said diaries to deny what was said or suggest an agenda or to be more charitable claim a misinterpretation.

WhatsApp isn't any of that - it enables people to record their most personal thoughts and to share them. Should it be the kind of medium used in a professional working environment? If Cummings or others used WhatsApp in lieu of a diary they can't be surprised if one day what they said comes to light.

Yes, it was a very difficult time but this is Government - these are professional people trained to "make impossible decisions". Johnson schemed and manoeuvred for 20 years to become Conservative leader and Prime Minister - this was the job he always wanted. He was no political novice - neither was Cummings.
    Yes, but my point is that I think we ended up with Government by WhatsApp following FOIA and things like the Iraq inquiry, because they thought it was out of scope. It’s the evolution of “sofa Government”. Now they know it’s in scope, I imagine a lot has gone completely verbal or into hand written notes that get destroyed. The worst of all worlds.

You can have properly measured Government with a paper trial, or you can have freedom of information and very public inquires. I don’t think you can have both.

Personally, I think lessons learned reports are vital. I just don’t think we all need to that sausage being made in public. We can see the conclusions later.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Can anyone give me a link to the BBC's privilege test?
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058

Now I have got my ultra privileged card, does this mean I can go around and act like a total knob throwing paint around, holding up traffic, etc and not get punished for it?

Ultimate privilege is burning £50 notes in front of poor/homeless people.
    Ultimate privilege is not having your Coutts account cancelled.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    Privilege is not having to be concerned about money.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

TOPPING said:

Apparently I am like the most privileged person ever...but come from Stoke, family are working class, none went to uni, didn't go to private school....

hmmm, I think the authors of that test have a very narrow definition of not privileged!

It seems that they are determining privilege according to work/social environment and acceptance, and family circumstances. Not wealth or education.

Not a dreadful way of calculating it before everyone goes all four Yorkshiremen.
    But I am an actual Yorkshireman.
    Were you brought up in cardboard box in the middle of the road?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,190

Now I have got my ultra privileged card, does this mean I can go around and act like a total knob throwing paint around, holding up traffic, etc and not get punished for it?

If I really wanted to show off and rub it in a bit I would burn £50 notes in front of the hard pressed middle classes rather than wasting it on poor/homeless people.
    Remember to only burn half of each note.

As a general rule, we will only reimburse you with the face value of a damaged banknote if you still have at least half of the banknote.

To apply for a reimbursement, fill out our damaged banknote application form and send it to us with all of the remains of the banknote.

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/damaged-and-contaminated-banknotes
  • Options

I closed my Coutts account. It's not that good, it is living off the fact the Royals bank with them.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I see Liverpool Street Station has been taken over by a demo tonight.

What to we want?
    Cambridge train.
    When do we want it?
    21:45.
    19:48, you mean :lol:
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,178
    rcs1000 said:

Has everyone forgotten that in the initial stages of the pandemic, the expert view from the likes of the WHO was that travel restrictions were stigmatising and counter-productive because of the damage to the economy?

Once covid was well seeded in a country, travel restrictions probably did little to slow transmission, given you are as likely to export the infected as to import them.
    That was actually a sensible part of Cummings’ evidence.
    He recognised that immediate travel restrictions might have made a very large difference.
    (Whether he did so at the time, I’ve no idea.)
  • Options

I closed my Coutts account. It's not that good, it is living off the fact the Royals bank with them.
    They also have riff-raff like Piers Morgan bank with them...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,847

Especially given how hard it is to even get hold of a £50 note these days.
    Surely a €500 note would be way more.. whatever you are aiming for with this?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,720
    edited October 2023

I know, Thom Yorke of Radiohead is also a Coutts account holder.

I never actually applied for a Coutts account, my RBS Premier Relationship Manager kindly upgraded me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Has everyone forgotten that in the initial stages of the pandemic, the expert view from the likes of the WHO was that travel restrictions were stigmatising and counter-productive because of the damage to the economy?

Once covid was well seeded in a country, travel restrictions probably did little to slow transmission, given you are as likely to export the infected as to import them.
    That was actually a sensible part of Cummings’ evidence.
    He recognised that immediate travel restrictions might have made a very large difference.
    (Whether he did so at the time, I’ve no idea.)
    It is why the allowing foreign summer holidays in 2020 was absolutely moronic, but nobody picks up on. Again today the focus was all on travel restrictions before and the Eat Out to Help Out.

When in reality we got the cases right down, all the hard work was undone, as then imported a worse strain from Spain, which resulted in it being widely seeded just as kids went back to school.

Letting everybody who has been locked up in their homes for a few months to go to airports with 1000s of other people, sit on metal tubes with 100s, then get to foreign destinations with everybody else from all over Europe, getting pissed, shagging around, and bringing back new variant back.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,552
    edited October 2023

TOPPING said:

Apparently I am like the most privileged person ever...but come from Stoke, family are working class, none went to uni, didn't go to private school....

hmmm, I think the authors of that test have a very narrow definition of not privileged!

It seems that they are determining privilege according to work/social environment and acceptance, and family circumstances. Not wealth or education.

Not a dreadful way of calculating it before everyone goes all four Yorkshiremen.
    It seems like the strangest and most boring game of Top Trumps ever.

I've been at meetings where I was the only white person present. Does that mean I'm [A] privileged, [B] not privileged, or [C] it doesn't make any difference at all?
    The questions they asked were did that situation make you feel uncomfortable on account of your sexual orientation or race/religion.

To say no it didn't in their book makes you privileged presumably because they think you have never been in the situation you describe and you don't care.

I remember as a callow teenager working in McDonald's for a summer and after three days realising I was the only white bloke there. Meant nothing but they are asking what the only black guy might have felt like working at Fortnums I guess. Or gay guy in the Gaza branch of Pret.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,058

Did you close it in solidarity with Farage?
  • Options

Did you close it in solidarity with Farage?
    Well before that.
  • Options
    Romney still sensible.

Romney: If we're going to have a piece of legislation that becomes law, it’s going to include support for Ukraine and as well as Israel. There may be other elements.. It's not acceptable to abandon Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1719438424086601845
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Sean_F said:

The test thinks, in the UK presumably, it's being a white heterosexual male who doesn't worry about bills and who comes from a stable orthodox family.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

It seems like the strangest and most boring game of Top Trumps ever.

I've been at meetings where I was the only white person present. Does that mean I'm [A] privileged, [B] not privileged, or [C] it doesn't make any difference at all?
    The questions they asked were did that situation make you feel uncomfortable on account of your sexual orientation or race/religion.

To say no it didn't in their book makes you privileged presumably because they think you have never been in the situation you describe and you don't care.

I remember as a callow teenager working in McDonald's for a summer and after three days realising I was the only white bloke there. Meant nothing but they are asking what the only black guy might have felt like working at Fortnums I guess. Or gay guy in the Gaza branch of Pret.
    Working in hospitality you're about as likely to be the only straight guy as the only gay one.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,928
    tlg86 said:

No effect whatsoever on services.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

The test thinks, in the UK presumably, it's being a white heterosexual male who doesn't worry about bills and who comes from a stable orthodox family.
    Where is this test?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,469
    Seems a coalition of peacekeepers (Arab, US, UK etc) could be sent into Gaza post harrowing. I think we'd have to be mad to start patrolling the city, catching all the blowback/IEDs.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

What to we want?
    Cambridge train.
    When do we want it?
    21:45.
    19:48, you mean :lol:
    I see what you did there.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,578

Selebian said:

geoffw said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Yes, total sympathy with Boris here. He was saying what everyone was saying. The idea these concepts should not be broached- by the PM - is insane. No doubt Churchill had pretty robust and ugly arguments during WW2, about the deaths of various civilians, He was simply lucky he didn’t have them recorded on WhatsApp

Traditionally, when a British government decides that keeping some people alive will cost too much they just outsource the dirty work to NICE. Johnson’s mistake was not sending the decision across to a quango.
    Yup, sanitise it by expressing it all in terms of Qalys
    Given NICE traditionally look at QALYs versus direct healthcare costs, lockdown would be win-win (most NICE-funded assessments don't look at wider societal costs/benefits, mostly because that's too hard)
    Ah yes. “It’s too hard to measure/fix, so just ignore that”.

Bringing triumphs of policy ever since a bloke failed to consider the wider implications of half inching some fruit from a tree.
    It (kind of) works for a lot of healthcare. Often the direct healthcare costs are the largest, some of the societal benefits are caught in (or proportional) to QALYs and the person making the ultimate decision can factor in wider benefits in that decision.

Without it, we'd be mired in endless arguments about what benefits/costs to include and there would be 200 competing cost-benefit studies for every possible therapy.

Obviously not a good approach for widespread NPIs with large societal impact though.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Where is this test?
    It was linked upthread. Be careful they switch the position of the answers ("yes" and "no")
  • Options

I know, Thom Yorke of Radiohead is also a Coutts account holder.

I never actually applied for a Coutts account, my RBS Premier Relationship Manager kindly upgraded me.
    Coutts is hardly a status symbol anymore. It’s like being a millionaire. One in eight households are.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,005

An offshore account with EFG is where it's at if you actually value people who understand money, rather than just want to flex your credit card.

Quiet and discreet are not words I would associate with Coutts, even before the Farage thing.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    edited October 2023

Seems a coalition of peacekeepers (Arab, US, UK etc) could be sent into Gaza post harrowing. I think we'd have to be mad to start patrolling the city, catching all the blowback/IEDs.

We used to run Gaza on behalf of the League of Nations. Still waiting for a thank you note.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    kyf_100 said:

An offshore account with EFG is where it's at if you actually value people who understand money, rather than just want to flex your credit card.

Quiet and discreet are not words I would associate with Coutts, even before the Farage thing.
    To be honest I value my AMEX Centurion Charge Card more.

Gets you more benefits than Coutts and their concierge service is the best.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

I like the fact that if you bank with Hoares and you call them they answer the phone good afternoon Mr kyf_100.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    stodge said:

tlg86 said:

No effect whatsoever on services.
    Still shit?
  • Options

Where is that being suggested? Bonkers. No way the British Army should get involved there.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

I like the fact that if you bank with Hoares and you call them they answer the phone good afternoon Mr kyf_100.
    The best thing about Hoares is telling the world

'My bankers are Hoares.'
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,255

Scott_xP said:

FPT I wonder how the Mail, Express and Telegraph will spin it in favour of the Tories?

Telegraph - Boris accused Cummings of being part of ‘orgy of narcissism’ at No10
    Blame the fuckwit that hired him...
    Cominic Dummings :lol:
    Han Dodges is another PB stalwart with an amusingly reversible name. Any others?

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258

kyf_100 said:

It's also outrageously expensive, and you need to do an awful lot of travel to make the benefits worth the cost.
  • Options
    biggles said:

stodge said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

I agree. It’s this Inquiry culture, following Iraq, that drove all decision making on to WhatsApp (and presumably now has made it all verbal). People in the midst of making impossible decisions need a bit of latitude to make them, and have the real detail secret for years, so that future historians at least have the detail.
    I'm not so certain.

Government has a degree of accountability, not least to the electorate, and transparency, so we know the reasons why decisions were taken in our name.

Many individuals have kept diaries as their record of events - perhaps less for future inquiries as for future memoirs. It's been possible for those cited unfavourably in said diaries to deny what was said or suggest an agenda or to be more charitable claim a misinterpretation.

WhatsApp isn't any of that - it enables people to record their most personal thoughts and to share them. Should it be the kind of medium used in a professional working environment? If Cummings or others used WhatsApp in lieu of a diary they can't be surprised if one day what they said comes to light.

Yes, it was a very difficult time but this is Government - these are professional people trained to "make impossible decisions". Johnson schemed and manoeuvred for 20 years to become Conservative leader and Prime Minister - this was the job he always wanted. He was no political novice - neither was Cummings.
    Yes, but my point is that I think we ended up with Government by WhatsApp following FOIA and things like the Iraq inquiry, because they thought it was out of scope. It’s the evolution of “sofa Government”. Now they know it’s in scope, I imagine a lot has gone completely verbal or into hand written notes that get destroyed. The worst of all worlds.

You can have properly measured Government with a paper trial, or you can have freedom of information and very public inquires. I don’t think you can have both.

Personally, I think lessons learned reports are vital. I just don’t think we all need to that sausage being made in public. We can see the conclusions later.
    Yes, there was a time when minutes were taken at meetings and even at informal gatherings. This was how people built up their store of recollections for the memoir. Unfortunately, the response of many public bodies to the coming of FOIA and other attempts to try to make decision making more accountable and transparent has been to refuse to record any meaningful decisions.

I know of key project decisions involving hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money taken by senior officers and even senior councillors via text message. I don't understand this fear of accountability.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,039

TOPPING said:

fpt

British Jews are full of fear. Like I've never seen before.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-67266475

Today my adventures consisted of having to go to Golders Green. On the tube (ugh - Boris bikes don't reach that far north).

Some observations.

1. It was much hotter on the Northern Line than likely any day this year on Brighton beach;

2. I saw one of those The Dyke Project (for that is it) posters. "It's hard being gay in Gaza but I kissed lots of boys and now the nasty Israelis are bombing us" vibe. The poster said also no one is free until everyone is free and exhorted the UK to"stop funding Israel and the Israeli military". A very global gay concern I'm sure;

3. In Golders Green itself there were plenty of policemen and private security types around; and

4. I saw a group of presumably Jewish primary school age children trick or treating along the main road. With a police escort.
    1. I hope you were wearing more than just your speedos on the Northern Line.

4. Primary school children should never need a police escort to be children. Intolerance needs to be challenged.
    My kids’ school still has uniform outside plus unmarked patrols as well. Also primary.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

kyf_100 said:

It's also outrageously expensive, and you need to do an awful lot of travel to make the benefits worth the cost.
    Worth every penny of the £3,400 annual fee.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,469
    biggles said:

Where is that being suggested? Bonkers. No way the British Army should get involved there.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-31/us-and-israel-weigh-peacekeepers-for-the-gaza-strip-after-hamas
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,186

Andy_JS said:

"Tory interns told to undergo ‘privilege walks’ to show advantages of white middle class

BBC said to have used similar ‘diversity training’ – take our quiz to see how you would you fare"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/31/conservative-interns-privilege-test-patchwork-foundation/

That quiz is utter bollocks.

You scored 15 / 20

According to this BBC measure, you're more privileged compared to others. Does this match your experience?

Me? privileged?

I am the grandson of humble immigrants to this country.
    Indeed. Your mum only bought you *one* house...

😁😁😁
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,288
    stodge said:

Yes, there was a time when minutes were taken at meetings and even at informal gatherings. This was how people built up their store of recollections for the memoir. Unfortunately, the response of many public bodies to the coming of FOIA and other attempts to try to make decision making more accountable and transparent has been to refuse to record any meaningful decisions.

I know of key project decisions involving hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money taken by senior officers and even senior councillors via text message. I don't understand this fear of accountability.

Every Teams call at work is recorded now. I am confident nobody will ever listen to any of them
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Pfft. I use mine to scrape the windscreen. It’s the Illuminati+ charge card all the way for me.

Seriously, what is this? The reverse Four Yorkshiremen Sketch? You really can’t buy taste.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Barclaycard sent me a Platinum which I cut up and returned. I had no desire to flaunt my wealth in front of check-out girls.

Nowadays I do my own checking out and the girl just stands there, poised to confirm my age at the critical moment.

Truly the past is another country.
  • Options

biggles said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-10-31/us-and-israel-weigh-peacekeepers-for-the-gaza-strip-after-hamas
    Christ.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Nigelb said:

Romney still sensible.

Romney: If we're going to have a piece of legislation that becomes law, it’s going to include support for Ukraine and as well as Israel. There may be other elements.. It's not acceptable to abandon Ukraine.
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1719438424086601845

He's a good guy. Horribly ironic that he should have lost his presidential race while Trump won his. Incomprehensible how he can now be a marginal figure in the GOP.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AlistairM said:

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

Yeah but Boris was saying old people need to fuck off and die in Dec 2020 (if you belive Vallance)
    Not quite. He was posing a difficult question, expecting attempts to answer it to advance understanding about what to do. A bit like Socrates (not our much missed poster of that pseudonym)

I still don't understand why we could not have just locked down old people (e.g. 60+). Surely that would have been a reasonable compromise? I was saying it a lot at the time and I don't understand why it was never even discussed.
    What happens to the people who look after the over 60s?
    To be fair, Denmark did a great job with this: your phone was your "pass" and it showed the date of your last test.

Want to go into the store? Show a test that's less than a week old.

People who are looking after the elderly were tested all the time, while if you worked from home it was much less stringent.

They did a great job with risk segmentation, and had the least deaths and the least economic impact.
    Our inability and/or unwillingness to countenance a risk segmentation strategy was the greatest failing during covid, and still has a legacy today: some perfectly fit and healthy people remain fearful of the bug despite it being less dangerous than flu these days.

The Danish strategy sounds like a sensible one.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    tlg86 said:

I wonder if they will notice the statue put up to commemorate the Kindertransport. And ask themselves who those Kinder were and why they came here.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Barclaycard sent me a Platinum which I cut up and returned. I had no desire to flaunt my wealth in front of check-out girls.

Nowadays I do my own checking out and the girl just stands there, poised to confirm my age at the critical moment.

The joys of having Apple Pay, the plebs don't get to see your card.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    stodge said:

biggles said:

stodge said:

biggles said:

Leon said:

I'm not so certain.

It’s a societal problem. What worries them is the idiotic “gotcha” level of questioning of the back of FOIA or these sorts of inquiries. Take the evidence sessions today. I watched a lot of them and there were some interesting and informative passages no one has reported because they just wanted a killer quote.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

kyf_100 said:

And the card is gathering dust in a draw at home. It’s pointless carrying a card around these days, so the idea of a ‘premium’ card is faintly absurd.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Where is this test?
    It’s a strange set of questions. I scored 14.

Questions like “Are you comfortable practising your religion in the workplace?” Why should I practice religion in the workplace?

The Yes/No format makes it hard to give truthful answers like I Don’t Know or It Depends.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

And the card is gathering dust in a draw at home. It’s pointless carrying a card around these days, so the idea of a ‘premium’ card is faintly absurd.
    As a pedant, I feel the need to point out that if it’s in a drawer then it can’t be gathering dust.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,190

kyf_100 said:

Now it's just an opportunity to flaunt the latest expensive phone

• Options
    edited October 2023
    biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

Pfft. I use mine to scrape the windscreen. It’s the Illuminati+ charge card all the way for me.

Seriously, what is this? The reverse Four Yorkshiremen Sketch? You really can’t buy taste.
    It's a tribute to the UK.

The children/grandchildren of immigrants from Pakistan and India are accepted and integrated at the top of society.

The UK, London,and Scotland are ruled by Asian heritage chaps. I am considered elite and privileged.

That is to the UK's immense credit.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

I wonder if they will notice the statue put up to commemorate the Kindertransport. And ask themselves who those Kinder were and why they came here.
    They’ve probably painted a yellow Star of David on it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

That really annoys me, because my name is not kyf_100.
    Hah. I think my username is as it is because my original one was rejected by the moderator, and I couldn't quickly think of a number that wasn't my year of birth. I was madly paranoid about being doxxed at the time, and _100 felt suitably generic for a single post or two. Who knew I'd still be posting seven years later.

As I had to think of an alternative fast, the kyf stands for the book that was on my desk at the time, Kill your friends, by John Niven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoCnwJm1iBo
  • Options
    geoffw said:

kyf_100 said:

Now it's just an opportunity to flaunt the latest expensive phone

I use my watch but I guess the same point applies
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Tory interns told to undergo ‘privilege walks’ to show advantages of white middle class

BBC said to have used similar ‘diversity training’ – take our quiz to see how you would you fare"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/31/conservative-interns-privilege-test-patchwork-foundation/

You scored 15 / 20

According to this BBC measure, you're more privileged compared to others. Does this match your experience?

Me? privileged?

😁😁😁
    She would have bought me more if I let her.

I realise I am very lucky that I have parents who to this day think their role in life is to fund my life. I tell them off and don't let them.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

As a pedant, I feel the need to point out that if it’s in a drawer then it can’t be gathering dust.
    Even if it were on top of the drawers it wouldn't be 'gathering' dust, it would just have dust land on it.
  • Options

biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

The children/grandchildren of immigrants from Pakistan and India are accepted and integrated at the top of society.

The UK, London,and Scotland are ruled by Asian heritage chaps. I am considered elite and privileged.

I have a real issue with the “top” of society being defined by bank balance.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

You scored 15 / 20

Me? privileged?

😁😁😁
    She would have bought me more if I let her.

I realise I am very lucky that I have parents who to this day think their role in life is to fund my life. I tell them off and don't let them.
    Indeed, the best way to get on is be born to rich parents.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

It's not just that, Sunak and myself attended elite schools and nobody batted an eyelid.

Humza Yousaf and I both married white natives and nobody batted an eyelid.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

I don't suppose anyone is going to make the same effort for the Palestinian kids currently at risk of being blown to bits in Gaza.
  • Options
    Thoughts and prayers for Susan Hall.

https://twitter.com/chiefrabbi/status/1719443425303409067
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    Bless ! The DE remains loyal to the lying oaf and manages to make him look like a martyr .

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    edited October 2023

We used to run Gaza on behalf of the League of Nations. Still waiting for a thank you note.
    Hmm. Not sure that our effort from 1918-1948 deserves another crack at it...
  • Options
    For a verging on senile old guy, Biden remains remarkably active, and to good effect.

Biden expected to meet with Xi Jinping next month for ‘constructive’ talks
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/31/biden-xi-jinping-meeting-us-china
  • Options

biggles said:

biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

It's not just that, Sunak and myself attended elite schools and nobody batted an eyelid.

Oh on those things I am with you, of course. I also think it’s a win that I’m (hopefully politely) having a pop at you for being a stereotypical Tory. As the PM put it, rightly, in his conference speech - the mark of success is him being PM and it not being a bit deal. It’s him being attacked and disliked, but based on his policies and fitness for the role.
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

The joys of having Apple Pay, the plebs don't get to see your card.
    I'd quite like a Rolex that acts like an Apple Watch. That would cover most of my simple needs.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Edit - deleted - issues with quotes.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    geoffw said:

Foss said:

Leon said:

Traditionally, when a British government decides that keeping some people alive will cost too much they just outsource the dirty work to NICE. Johnson’s mistake was not sending the decision across to a quango.
    Yup, sanitise it by expressing it all in terms of Qalys
    QALYS rationing treatment for quite a long time.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,166
    "Claudia Webbe MP
    @ClaudiaWebbe

We cannot be silent or silenced
    This is Liverpool Street Station, London"

https://twitter.com/ClaudiaWebbe/status/1719423731720761821
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

" . . . no desire to flaunt my wealth in front of check-out girls."

Would you object, if yours truly flaunted your wealth? Maybe only on weekends?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Bless ! The DE remains loyal to the lying oaf and manages to make him look like a martyr .

I suspect the Star might have their finger closer to the pulse of the nation;

• Options
    There's a lot being said about today's testimony at the COVID inquiry.

For balance, I think it's important to say that nobody needs to take sides on this. It could be the case that Johnson and Cummings are BOTH arseholes.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

The children/grandchildren of immigrants from Pakistan and India are accepted and we ar him.integrated at the top of society.

Oh on those things I am with you, of course. I also think it’s a win that I’m (hopefully politely) having a pop at you for being a stereotypical Tory. As the PM put it, rightly, in his conference speech - the mark of success is him being PM and it not being a bit deal. It’s him being attacked and disliked, but based on his policies and fitness for the role.
    Just the same in Scotland, Humza hardly ever gets racist abuse thrown at him, it’s all about policies and fitness for the role.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

When you speak to Palestinians they ask the very reasonable question "Why should we be deprived of our homes, history and country because of the crimes of Europeans* against the Jews?

*or the Egyptians, Iraqis, Yemenis etc etc.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

You’re only one order of magnitude out.
  • Options
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Christ.
    Plenty of other options - why not put the People's Liberation Army in and give them soemthing useful to do?

Seriously, I can't see much support here for UK troops on the ground except as part of a UN force.
  • Options

biggles said:

kyf_100 said:

Even if it were on top of the drawers it wouldn't be 'gathering' dust, it would just have dust land on it.
    IF your drawers are gathering or otherwise accumulating dust, probably NOT a positive sign?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

In tribute to today's hearings, 3.32 doublings.
  • Options
    Heh

• Options

There's a lot being said about today's testimony at the COVID inquiry.

For balance, I think it's important to say that nobody needs to take sides on this. It could be the case that Johnson and Cummings are BOTH arseholes.

Only could be?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,310
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

When you speak to Palestinians they ask the very reasonable question "Why should we be deprived of our homes, history and country because of the crimes of Europeans* against the Jews?

It’s an emotionally manipulative question designed to frame the existence of the state of Israel as a wrong to set against the wrong of the holocaust.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

I don't suppose anyone is going to make the same effort for the Palestinian kids currently at risk of being blown to bits in Gaza.
    Hamas have said that no-one must leave, even foreign nationals trapped there.

If they changed their attitude, there would be plenty who would seek to help children at risk, including me. Currently I contribute to CAFOD, a Catholic relief charity which works in the area.

But Hamas don't want that do they? They want dead children to use them for propaganda purposes. That is why, as pointed out by an Egyptian journalist, Hamas have built lots of underground tunnels for their fighters but no bomb shelters for Gazan civilians.

• Options

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

It’s an emotionally manipulative question designed to frame the existence of the state of Israel as a wrong to set against the wrong of the holocaust.
    It seems a perfectly reasonable question to me. It wasn't the Palestinians behind the Holocaust.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

It seems a perfectly reasonable question to me. It wasn't the Palestinians behind the Holocaust.
    No indeed and I'm sure the Palestinians would be horrified if by their actions people, such as you are doing now, are questioning the legitimacy of the State of Israel.

The phrase useful idiots springs to mind.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,258
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

Where is this test?
    It’s a strange set of questions. I scored 14.

Questions like “Are you comfortable practising your religion in the workplace?” Why should I practice religion in the workplace?

The Yes/No format makes it hard to give truthful answers like I Don’t Know or It Depends.
    You need to practice it, otherwise you might get it wrong.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,310
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

It's a false equation. Zionism predated the Holocaust and there's been a lot of history since then,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

The answer to which is two-fold:

(1) Jews are the indigenous people of the area having originated there and been there longer than pretty much any other group, including Palestinians many of whom moved to the area called Palestine from other parts of the Middle Est.

And

(2) That is why the UN proposed two states - and allocated land for a Palestinian state - so that they would have a home. That offer was rejected and the land allocated to the Palestinians stolen by Jordan and Egypt.

(Whether the borders and allocation was fair or viable is another matter. But it is simply not true to say that Palestinians were not offered a state. The world made an attempt to give both groups a state and it is the Palestinians tragedy that they refused that offer and have been trying ever since to get what they could have got more than 70 years ago.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,166
    biggles said:

Sounds like the least-worst option.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,928
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Hamas have said that no-one must leave, even foreign nationals trapped there.

If they changed their attitude, there would be plenty who would seek to help children at risk, including me. Currently I contribute to CAFOD, a Catholic relief charity which works in the area.

But Hamas don't want that do they? They want dead children to use them for propaganda purposes. That is why, as pointed out by an Egyptian journalist, Hamas have built lots of underground tunnels for their fighters but no bomb shelters for Gazan civilians.

I think CAFOD are calling for a ceasefire, like the demonstrators at Liverpool street Station.

https://cafod.org.uk/news/media/press-releases/christian-leaders-call-for-a-just-peace-in-israel-and-the-occupied-palestinian-territory
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

kyf_100 said:

It's genuinely weird now, to remember, how hard I worked to think of a generic and disposable name for a post or two that wouldn't link back to me, because I wanted to post some things about Brexit and being outed as pro-Brexit at my then workplace would have been instant career suicide.

Though if memory recalls, my first couple of posts were actually about housing (but also linked to freedom of movement - which you had to be unequivocally in favour of, even if you thought it was ruining the youth's chance of getting on the housing ladder, which I think was what my first post was about).

We are probably somewhere similar in 2023. 2016's "Are you Brexit or Remain" is 2023's "are you Israel or Palestine?" The truth, as we all know from debating it endlessly for years, ends up being much more nuanced.

• Options

Especially given how hard it is to even get hold of a £50 note these days.
    Some friends gave me a framed £50 note as a present (tarted up by former PB cartoonist Marf, as it happens) but had not realised the Turing note was in general circulation. They thought it was a one-off special (as with stamps and 50p pieces) so bought one at a high premium from Ebay.
  • Options

That reminds me. I'm being semi-debanked. Barclays is kicking me off Premium back to an ordinary current account.
This discussion has been closed.