Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mid Beds betting – CON and LD up while LAB down – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

Ghedebrav said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Here is - no joke - virtually the only photo of the Armenian genocide in action (there is no gore)

It shows Armenians being marched out of a town - into the deserts where they were killed in their thousands: starved, drowned, pushed over cliffs. Dozens of children were tied together and thrown in rivers

It was an unspeakable crime yet we have about four photos and this is one

So we forget. We don’t even learn in the first place

Sadly, people never cared very much about the Armenians. European governments cared far more about Greeks or Bulgarians being massacred by Turks (not so much about Turks being massacred by Greeks and Bulgarians), because they were classically educated. It wasn't about the lack of photography.
    Again. I disagree

Imagine if we had thousands of photos of THIS:

"At least 150,000 Armenians passed through Erzindjan from June 1915, where a series of transit camps were set up to control the flow of victims to the killing site at the nearby Kemah gorge.[172] Thousands of Armenians were killed near Lake Hazar, pushed by paramilitaries off the cliffs.[168] More than 500,000 Armenians passed through the Firincilar plain south of Malatya, one of the deadliest areas during the genocide. Arriving convoys, having passed through the plain to approach the Kahta highlands, would have found gorges already filled with corpses from previous convoys"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_genocide

It would be seared in the collective consciousness. We do not have photos; it is not seared

And the lack of photos is no coincidence:

"The Ottoman Empire tried to prevent journalists and photographers from documenting the atrocities, threatening them with arrest"
    How many people really cared about the Rwandan genocide, or ongoing massacres in Central Africa, despite the photographic evidence?

I can remember Richard Littlejohn at the time, writing an article along the lines of "If the MBongo tribe and the Mbango tribes want to wipe each other out, why should that bother me?"
    A sentiment shared by Corbynistas (cf Myanmar, Yemen, Xinjiang, Ukraine et al). There are no Jews to blame, y’see.
    Around 3000 people died in earthquakes in Afghanistan in the last fortnight it hardly merits a mention.
    Although that marks the difference between a tragedy and an atrocity.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Sean_F said:

It is hugely sad, and I don't really know why some peoples' sufferings elicit widespread sympathy and other peoples' sufferings don't.

I have a sense that without the Holocaust, Jewish suffering (in pogroms, riots, expulsions etc.) would have been met with a shrug. Reading Savage Continent, by Keith Lowe, it's not even the case that the Holocaust was seen as such a big deal, in the immediate aftermath of WWII. The attitude of the Communists in the East, and Western allies in Germany was very much along the lines of "Yes, Jews suffered horribly at Nazi hands, but so did lots of people."

How many people in the West know anything about the Taiping Rebellion? Hardly anybody does, yet it may be the second or third largest conflict in human history, and it was every bit as murderous as the Second World War with many massacres of civilians. Nor was it that long ago, the late 19th century, not in antiquity.

The world has a long track record of forgetting awful things, that's if the world even pays any attention in the first place.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Here is - no joke - virtually the only photo of the Armenian genocide in action (there is no gore)

It shows Armenians being marched out of a town - into the deserts where they were killed in their thousands: starved, drowned, pushed over cliffs. Dozens of children were tied together and thrown in rivers

Sadly, people never cared very much about the Armenians. European governments cared far more about Greeks or Bulgarians being massacred by Turks (not so much about Turks being massacred by Greeks and Bulgarians), because they were classically educated. It wasn't about the lack of photography.
    Again. I disagree

"At least 150,000 Armenians passed through Erzindjan from June 1915, where a series of transit camps were set up to control the flow of victims to the killing site at the nearby Kemah gorge.[172] Thousands of Armenians were killed near Lake Hazar, pushed by paramilitaries off the cliffs.[168] More than 500,000 Armenians passed through the Firincilar plain south of Malatya, one of the deadliest areas during the genocide. Arriving convoys, having passed through the plain to approach the Kahta highlands, would have found gorges already filled with corpses from previous convoys"

It would be seared in the collective consciousness. We do not have photos; it is not seared

"The Ottoman Empire tried to prevent journalists and photographers from documenting the atrocities, threatening them with arrest"
    Even now referring to the Armenian genocide can get you into trouble in Turkey. Orhan Pamuk, the Nobel-winning Turkish novelist, can vouch for that.
    Even now the Turks are openly contemptuous of Armenians - as are the Georgians and the Azeris. It is perplexing

Only Mother Russia seems to care about them, and even Russia shrugged at Nagorno Karabakh

I dunno what the Armenians have done to engender such hatred, apart from be quite commercially successful (but nothing like the success of Jewish people)

Turkey / Azerbijan and Armenia are on opposite sides of the Muslim / Christian Orthodox cultural tectonic plates for one thing - and there is a lot of Turkey vs Armenia history up to and including genocide.

But it's more complex than that, and not a history I know anything of at all - especially Georgia vs Armenia.

The only history I have read even superficially is little pieces of personal accounts of Armenian immigrants to the USA.

Can anyone elucidate or provide a reference, or Youtube history series I can watch as wallpaper?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,999

Palestinian media publish a picture of what they claim to be the crater caused by the explosion at the hospital in Gaza

https://x.com/visegrad24/status/1714598373230088346?s=20

Looks more like my neighbours driveway, which they are currently digging it up to replace some bricks.

I’m unclear what the debate is here. The atom bomb over Hiroshima didn’t produce a crater, but it still killed a lot of people! Do any of these commentators or us here have relevant forensics experience as to what different explosions would produce?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

If you look at the Daily Mail general coverage the defacto statement is Hamas a terrorist organisation, Hamas terrorists etc etc etc. They do from time to time mix it up with terms such as operatives, fighters etc, often within the same article. It called writing.

e.g. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12643229/Israel-blast-Gaza-hospital-Palestine-video-rocket-misfire.html

"Hamas operatives"..."Hamas terrorists"

So they have no issue with making a claim that Hamas are terrorists.

The BBC on the other hand have tried to claim we don't use the term terrorism / terrorist, we don't judge etc, but they have and they do about other terrorist incidents, just not when it comes to Hamas, they only quote others.

By every definition of the word, what Hamas did to Israel was terrorism.
    I don't know what the big deal is here. The BBC routinely say that Hamas are a designated 'terrorist organisation'.

What they don't do is colloquially call them 'terrorists' in the flow of their reporting. They call them Hamas, with that frequent rider, a designated terrorist organisation.

So you don't hear stuff like, "the Israelis are determined and well armed, but so are the terrorists".

Which imo we wouldn't want because it lacks gravitas.
    Absolute rubbish. The specific objection is to the BBC's repeated use of the word "militants" rather than "terrorists".

Eg 14 times in this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67053011
  • Options

Channel-hopped back onto Al Jaz after watching PMQs - they are STILL going on about "Israel kill hundreds in air strike" :grimace:

Aren't they pursuing the line for which the audience are sympathetic? Do we not see the same here on occasion?

(It's been interesting to me watching the lines put out by Indian newspapers wrt Russia's war on Ukraine, when I have run across it.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,154
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Again. I disagree

Even now referring to the Armenian genocide can get you into trouble in Turkey. Orhan Pamuk, the Nobel-winning Turkish novelist, can vouch for that.
    Even now the Turks are openly contemptuous of Armenians - as are the Georgians and the Azeris. It is perplexing

Only Mother Russia seems to care about them, and even Russia shrugged at Nagorno Karabakh

I dunno what the Armenians have done to engender such hatred, apart from be quite commercially successful (but nothing like the success of Jewish people)

"Quite successful"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calouste_Gulbenkian

The Gulbenkian is my favourite museum.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

OT. If LibDems cost Labour the seat could have pretty negative consequences for Davey. A significant number of anti-Tory voters likely to reflexively vote Labour at the GE and not "risk" a LibDem vote even in seats where the LibDems are challengers. Not everyone is clued in sufficiently to realise where the value lies.

If LibDems don't win the seat, I hope the Tories win it rather than Labour.

It will make little difference to the current parliamentary arithmetic.

It will show Labour that barging the LibDems aside has consequences.

It will encourage more cooperation between Labour and LibDems on tactical voting.

It may encourage the Tories and reduce the number of Tory losses in the GE making a minority rather than majority Labour government more likely.
    The Lib Dems were there to be barged aside, weren't they?

It is some entitlement to think that the main opposition should go easy in an election it could win, merely to allow a much smaller party, which finished a considerable way back in third, to have a clearer run.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Not being able to trust your own eyes will be the weirdest thing

For 150 years we’ve had the ultimate proof. “Look, here’s a photo. Shut up”

That is coming to an end. It will challenge how we perceive reality. We go back to a pre-photographic world of rumours and reports which are far more unreliable

Photographic evidence has never been definitive.

Our ability to prove that the Holocaust took place, for example, depends much on eye-witness testimony and written records, than on photographic evidence.

So, we'll just have to be sceptical, but we can verify the truth, without just relying upon rumour. Rules of evidence were reasonably sophisticated, even before photography became common. And, people did a lot of fact-checking. A good example is the way people had to do a lot of waiting around in large communal chambers in royal courts, surrounded by lots of courtiers and other bigwigs. The intent was that if someone turned up claiming to be the Spanish ambassador, or the Earl of Devon, there would be people there who could attest to it.
    I disagree

One of the reasons the Holocaust is so vivid in our minds and so utterly uncontested (apart from a few total nutters) is because there is ample horrific visual evidence. Photos in the thousands. Photos of ghettoes and pogroms, photos of Auschwitz and Belsen. Photos of piled bodies and gas chambers

Contrast that with the Armenian genocide. There we have almost zero photographic evidence, even tho maybe 2 million died. It was just before the era of mass camera ownership and the Turks did a great job of keeping it all quiet

Go look for photos of this appalling crime and you’ll be amazed at the paucity. A handful

And that is one reason it is almost forgotten
    You get something similar with the Soviet gulags. Not many photos and the Russian government has made its archives inaccessible again. So easy for people not to realise the full horror of what happened to people there.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,029
    289 seems like a steep target for the Afghans.
  • Options
    For @Nigelb - the Greek restaurant in Carlisle I mentioned is family run and very friendly so am sure they'd remove chilli if you asked.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    On the hospital bomb, here is a guy called Nathan Ruser who has done some forensic analysis.

https://twitter.com/Nrg8000/status/1714535497958334678

In short, the most likely explanation is a misfiring rocket launched from Gaza. Very unlikely that 500 people were killed based on the damage done. Plus where are the injured? I don't know if anyone was killed last night in the demonstrations outside the embassies in Lebanon and Tehran. I hope not.
  • Options
    Leon said:

That is coming to an end. It will challenge how we perceive reality. We go back to a pre-photographic world of rumours and reports which are far more unreliable

Photographs have been doctored or faked as long as there have been photographs. Some of those, like the Cottingley fairies, look absurdly obvious to us now, but at the time were accepted quite widely. It's the same now - I'm already getting quite good at spotting AI generated photos.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

OT. If LibDems cost Labour the seat could have pretty negative consequences for Davey. A significant number of anti-Tory voters likely to reflexively vote Labour at the GE and not "risk" a LibDem vote even in seats where the LibDems are challengers. Not everyone is clued in sufficiently to realise where the value lies.

It will encourage more cooperation between Labour and LibDems on tactical voting.

It may encourage the Tories and reduce the number of Tory losses in the GE making a minority rather than majority Labour government more likely.
    I suspect that whoever wins will have much less impact. Most of the public won’t notice. Others will see one day’s headlines.

Obviously, people in parties do pay more attention, but even then, the Labourites who like cooperation with the LibDems will still like cooperation with the LibDems and those who don’t will still not. Any Tories who think winning on ~30% because they got lucky on a split opposition vote is a big success or a winning strategy for the general election is a fool. Sure, milk the headlines if you win, but don’t get carried away!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Again. I disagree

Turkey / Azerbijan and Armenia are on opposite sides of the Muslim / Christian Orthodox cultural tectonic plates for one thing - and there is a lot of Turkey vs Armenia history up to and including genocide.

But it's more complex than that, and not a history I know anything of at all - especially Georgia vs Armenia.

The only history I have read even superficially is little pieces of personal accounts of Armenian immigrants to the USA.

Can anyone elucidate?
    I have a theory that one driver of Armenophobia (I hope that word exists) is sexual jealousy of beautiful Armenian women

I know, it sounds mad. But there is documentary evidence to back it up. One of the charges levelled at Armenians was that "their women steal our men" - and of course being Christian Armenian women were more liberated than Muslim women - showing their hair, etc

Other genocides have also been driven by sexual jealousy. It was a factor in the Rwandan genocide

"Hutu propaganda played an important role in both the genocide and the gender-specific violence. It often depicted Tutsi women as "a sexually seductive 'fifth column' in league with the Hutus' enemies". The brutality of the sexual violence, and complicity of Hutu women in the attacks, suggested that the propaganda was effective at mobilizing both females and males to participate in the genocide"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_Rwandan_genocide

See also various pogroms against the pale-skinned Chinese diaspora in south east Asia
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

It is hugely sad, and I don't really know why some peoples' sufferings elicit widespread sympathy and other peoples' sufferings don't.

I have a sense that without the Holocaust, Jewish suffering (in pogroms, riots, expulsions etc.) would have been met with a shrug. Reading Savage Continent, by Keith Lowe, it's not even the case that the Holocaust was seen as such a big deal, in the immediate aftermath of WWII. The attitude of the Communists in the East, and Western allies in Germany was very much along the lines of "Yes, Jews suffered horribly at Nazi hands, but so did lots of people."

How many people in the West know anything about the Taiping Rebellion? Hardly anybody does, yet it may be the second or third largest conflict in human history, and it was every bit as murderous as the Second World War with many massacres of civilians. Nor was it that long ago, the late 19th century, not in antiquity.

The world has a long track record of forgetting awful things, that's if the world even pays any attention in the first place.
    I hadn’t even heard of it, until I read Flashman. Both the Taipings and the Qing practised appalling levels of cruelty (and the Qing acted similarly in putting down other rebellions.)
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,079

On the hospital bomb, here is a guy called Nathan Ruser who has done some forensic analysis.

In short, the most likely explanation is a misfiring rocket launched from Gaza. Very unlikely that 500 people were killed based on the damage done. Plus where are the injured? I don't know if anyone was killed last night in the demonstrations outside the embassies in Lebanon and Tehran. I hope not.

He was just on WATO about 20 mins ago - sadly I don’t think many people really listen to Radio4 at 1pm for the potential lie to be crushed.

I also don’t see certain news outlets rushing to put out this sort of analysis as quickly as they announced the Israelis carried out a strike on a hospital killing 500.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Barnesian said:

It is some entitlement to think that the main opposition should go easy in an election it could win, merely to allow a much smaller party, which finished a considerable way back in third, to have a clearer run.
    We do however, see a lot of entitlement on the other side of the argument.
  • Options

Leon said:

Photographs have been doctored or faked as long as there have been photographs. Some of those, like the Cottingley fairies, look absurdly obvious to us now, but at the time were accepted quite widely. It's the same now - I'm already getting quite good at spotting AI generated photos.
    AI will be used on a mass scale to produce fakes you won't so easily be able to spot.

OTOH, it will also be used to verify or debunk.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,293
    Israeli war cabinet approves broad assault in Gaza; full backing from President Biden for Israeli actions (via @amirbohbot); ministers okay evacuation of Israeli communities within 5 km of Lebanon border (via @N12News)

https://x.com/israelradar_com/status/1714615573269659989
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Amazed why anyone is so willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the same people who only 10 days ago mass murdered children and babies.

No just the benefit of the doubt but accepting their word verbatim as if they were the catholic clergy of the 15th century.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,501
    edited October 2023
    Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

If you look at the Daily Mail general coverage the defacto statement is Hamas a terrorist organisation, Hamas terrorists etc etc etc. They do from time to time mix it up with terms such as operatives, fighters etc, often within the same article. It called writing.

e.g. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12643229/Israel-blast-Gaza-hospital-Palestine-video-rocket-misfire.html

The BBC on the other hand have tried to claim we don't use the term terrorism / terrorist, we don't judge etc, but they have and they do about other terrorist incidents, just not when it comes to Hamas, they only quote others.

I don't know what the big deal is here. The BBC routinely say that Hamas are a designated 'terrorist organisation'.

What they don't do is colloquially call them 'terrorists' in the flow of their reporting. They call them Hamas, with that frequent rider, a designated terrorist organisation.

So you don't hear stuff like, "the Israelis are determined and well armed, but so are the terrorists".

Absolute rubbish. The specific objection is to the BBC's repeated use of the word "militants" rather than "terrorists".

Eg 14 times in this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67053011
    I don't see how that makes what I said rubbish. But sure you could very happily slip 'terrorists' into a story like that. For me the T word sits well in reporting of atrocities, less well in reporting of the war generally or the political and diplomacy aspects. Reflecting the duality of Hamas in a way. They are both a terrorist group and the government of Gaza.
  • Options

Leon said:

I bet I could fool you. This is not a personal insult, I bet I could fool anyone. I've tried showing Midjourney images to people and they don't know if they are real or not. This is not cause I am a genius, it's because Midjourney is incredible (and other newer better models arrive all the time)

I'd post an example on here but it is VERBOTEN
  • Options
    boulay said:

He was just on WATO about 20 mins ago - sadly I don’t think many people really listen to Radio4 at 1pm for the potential lie to be crushed.

I also don’t see certain news outlets rushing to put out this sort of analysis as quickly as they announced the Israelis carried out a strike on a hospital killing 500.
    The BBC conspiracy thickens, hiding stuff on their main lunchtime news programme the duplicitous barstewards.
  • Options

I’m unclear what the debate is here. The atom bomb over Hiroshima didn’t produce a crater, but it still killed a lot of people! Do any of these commentators or us here have relevant forensics experience as to what different explosions would produce?

The Hiroshima bomb didn't produce a crater because it was an *air burst*. It was specifically configured to detonate well above ground level to minimise radioactive fall-out; the Americans assumed, correctly, that the blast wave and fireball generated by the bomb would do enough damage.

Dumb conventional bombs, as used by the IAF on Gaza, just detonate on contact. They leave a very large and obvious crater at the point of impact. There is no such crater at the hospital site, and the damage to surrounding structures is far lighter than would be the case if a bomb landed in the car park as Palestinian sources are claiming.

Something blew up in the car park, but the damage footprint and lack of crater strongly suggest either a vehicle went bang (possibly being used to transport explosives, Hamas have form there) or a rocket of some kind landed and set fire to parked vehicles, causing multiple small explosions.

(incidentally, the pictures I've seen do not suggest an explosion anywhere near powerful enough to cause 500 casualties - a few dozen maybe, if the car park was crowded)

The evidence points to Israel's story on this being correct, and I'm sure Western intel agencies have reached the same conclusion and told their leaders such.
  • Options
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed. This genocide is 20 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effacer_le_tableau Who here even knew about this?
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,953

But it is a significantly larger blast than previous photos would suggest - the impact crater is apparently 10m from the location of the flipped car & directly in between two grassy areas that were full of people.

500 deaths? Seems unlikely. 500 killed+injured given the area was packed with people? That seems plausible to me. If it was a failed Hamas missile then burning fuel & debris may well have fallen over a much wider area too, causing more casualties.

It’s a classic case of the game of telephone played out in real time in the middle of a warzone. Like the 40 beheaded babies, there is something terrible at the bottom that people felt compelled to share & was amplified rapidly into something even worse.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I bet I could fool you. This is not a personal insult, I bet I could fool anyone. I've tried showing Midjourney images to people and they don't know if they are real or not. This is not cause I am a genius, it's because Midjourney is incredible (and other newer better models arrive all the time)

Images, though, can be geolocated and time stamped. You can fake that, of course, but you can't make the fake match reality.

A fake might be visually convincing, but that's all it is. And making a series of fakes consistent with checkable reality becomes exponentially more difficult.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Dan Hodges claiming that Keir Starmer is under A LOT of pressure to change Labour's stance on the Gazan war. To what though? A ceasefire? Those calling for a ceasefire without the release of hostages make me angry.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    The most important news of the day is that I managed to do Octordle in nine:

Daily Octordle #632
    9️⃣7️⃣
    8️⃣4️⃣
    3️⃣2️⃣
    6️⃣5️⃣
    Score: 44
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

I don't see how that makes what I said rubbish. But sure you could very happily slip 'terrorists' into a story like that. For me the T word sits well in reporting of atrocities, less well in reporting of the war generally or the political and diplomacy aspects. Reflecting the duality of Hamas in a way. They are both a terrorist group and the government of Gaza.
    Quite. So when they conduct conventional warfare then that should be reported as such, and when they carry out terrorist acts, that should also be described as such.

The likes of John Simpson are wrong when they say that 'terrorist' is a loaded word; it is not - it's a description. Terrorism is not difficult to define: it's violence undertaken with the intent of forcing others to change their policies under threat of further violence in the future.

To refuse to use the word 'terrorist' is itself to make an implicit judgement on the moral equivalence of the sides in question.

For some, and I'd include Simpson in this, 'impartiality' has become such an end in itself he no longer sees the absurdity in its tortuous application undermining the reporting itself.
  • Options
    OT - for @Peter_the_Punter - have responded to your Post Office questions on my website.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675
    edited October 2023
    Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Noting also the red weather alert for coastal areas between Dundee and Aberdeen. A red rain alert 32 hours in advance and 10 inches forecast is quite something.

The weather is moving up from Brittany now, trundles up the UK, out into the North Sea
    over Lothian then just drives onto the coast and Grampians.

No doubt the hills do see big rainfall numbers at times, this wouldn't be unheard of in Cumbria or Snowdonia, but a lot of the forecast focus of the rain here is at landfall and the easternmost upslopes.

Could be a bad one.

Worth remembering that, following the summer floods of 2007, the Met Office and CEH run a joint flood forecasting centre, which brings together meteorologists and hydrologists. So if they are using a red warning for rain and subsequent flooding impacts that will be based on an understanding of the current hydrological situation in the area, and how it's likely to react to the forecast rainfall.

Not a warning to take lightly.
    Particularly not if you live in Ballater, which seems to take the brunt of flooding on the River Dee.

If this looks anything like Storm Frank (2015) it will be bad. Upper Deeside was cut off and it took a long time to repair the washed out roads.

ttps://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/past-times/2774896/storm-frank-2015-floods/
    If they dredged the rivers, it wouldn't happen nearly so often.
    Slowing down the flow of water into rivers is the best way to prevent flooding. Along with not fecking up the climate, of course.
    If the floor of the River rises consistently, it can hold less water. It's not rocket science.
    Have a friend who works for SEPA and it looks like rocket science to me.

Inch Marshes saved a big chunk of Moray in the last few weeks.
    People who work for the responsible agencies consistently downplay the importance of dredging, because dredging is strongly disfavoured in EU law (which they still apply, gold-plated, in the UK). Personally I've never seen a remotely convincing case that dredging is not an essential part of river maintenance to prevent flooding. Someone posted a long article in opposition to dredging the last time we had this debate and buried in the text was an admission that it would have worked to prevent the flooding dealt with in the piece. Heavy rain in the UK is hardly a new turn of events.

It is very difficult to see that this policy stems from anything but a wish to alarm people about the changes in climate and make them more amenable to otherwise unacceptable curtailments of freedom and financial costs. They ban new reservoirs from being built, and scream 'drought' in the Summer when the water runs short. They ban dredging and scream 'flooding' in the Winter. All down to the climate crisis of course.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

We do however, see a lot of entitlement on the other side of the argument.
    We do. But then if the Lib Dems want to position themselves unquestioningly as Labour's little helpers, that's not too surprising.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    edited October 2023

Barnesian said:

Yes the LibDems were in first immediately Nadine said she was resigning with a large number of activists canvassing and delivering.
    They were odds on favourite for several weeks. Then Labour barged in late, no doubt feeling entitled to it, and have probably gifted this seat to the Tories.

I do think that the LibDems can only win a seat like this if Labour let them on the grounds that many Tories will vote LibDem but will not countenance Labour. This appeared to be happening here, as it did in Somerton and Frome. And then Labour came late to the party and have given it to the Tories.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

Palestinian media publish a picture of what they claim to be the crater caused by the explosion at the hospital in Gaza

Looks more like my neighbours driveway, which they are currently digging it up to replace some bricks.

The issue is that we were told early on that Israel had dropped bombs there. If Israel had dropped one of their bombs then there would have been a massive crater. We were also told the hospital had collapsed and yet it still seems to be standing. Lies from the very start. Just like Hamas lied when they said they don't attack civilians. Why should anyone trust a single word Hamas says?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

Quite. So when they conduct conventional warfare then that should be reported as such, and when they carry out terrorist acts, that should also be described as such.

The likes of John Simpson are wrong when they say that 'terrorist' is a loaded word; it is not - it's a description. Terrorism is not difficult to define: it's violence undertaken with the intent of forcing others to change their policies under threat of further violence in the future.

To refuse to use the word 'terrorist' is itself to make an implicit judgement on the moral equivalence of the sides in question.

For some, and I'd include Simpson in this, 'impartiality' has become such an end in itself he no longer sees the absurdity in its tortuous application undermining the reporting itself.
    Im left wondering why the BBC should be impartial about beheadings and innocent people being burned alive. What exactly is there to be impartial about ?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

I think terrorism is harder to define than you suggest.

If Israel bombs Gaza, they are using violence with the intent of forcing others to change their policies under threat of future violence. But I wouldn’t call what Israel is doing terrorism. All war is violence to change policies, but not all war is terrorism.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,114

Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Noting also the red weather alert for coastal areas between Dundee and Aberdeen. A red rain alert 32 hours in advance and 10 inches forecast is quite something.

The weather is moving up from Brittany now, trundles up the UK, out into the North Sea

No doubt the hills do see big rainfall numbers at times, this wouldn't be unheard of in Cumbria or Snowdonia, but a lot of the forecast focus of the rain here is at landfall and the easternmost upslopes.

Could be a bad one.

Worth remembering that, following the summer floods of 2007, the Met Office and CEH run a joint flood forecasting centre, which brings together meteorologists and hydrologists. So if they are using a red warning for rain and subsequent flooding impacts that will be based on an understanding of the current hydrological situation in the area, and how it's likely to react to the forecast rainfall.

Particularly not if you live in Ballater, which seems to take the brunt of flooding on the River Dee.

If this looks anything like Storm Frank (2015) it will be bad. Upper Deeside was cut off and it took a long time to repair the washed out roads.

Slowing down the flow of water into rivers is the best way to prevent flooding. Along with not fecking up the climate, of course.
    If the floor of the River rises consistently, it can hold less water. It's not rocket science.

People who work for the responsible agencies consistently downplay the importance of dredging, because dredging is strongly disfavoured in EU law (which they still apply, gold-plated, in the UK). Personally I've never seen a remotely convincing case that dredging is not an essential part of river maintenance to prevent flooding. Someone posted a long article in opposition to dredging the last time we had this debate and buried in the text was an admission that it would have worked to prevent the flooding dealt with in the piece. Heavy rain in the UK is hardly a new turn of events.

It is very difficult to see that this policy stems from anything but a wish to alarm people about the changes in climate and make them more amenable to otherwise unacceptable curtailments of freedom and financial costs. They ban new reservoirs from being built, and scream 'drought' in the Summer when the water runs short. They ban dredging and scream 'flooding' in the Winter. All down to the climate crisis of course.
    Different rivers. This isn't a lowland English vale.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite possibly you could with the latest ones. But in a while - probably a short while - familiarity would mean that spotting the subtle cues would become easier.
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

The issue is that we were told early on that Israel had dropped bombs there. If Israel had dropped one of their bombs then there would have been a massive crater. We were also told the hospital had collapsed and yet it still seems to be standing. Lies from the very start. Just like Hamas lied when they said they don't attack civilians. Why should anyone trust a single word Hamas says?
    I don’t think we should trust what Hamas say. I wouldn’t trust the IDF much either, who have told plenty of lies in the past. We should avoid rushing to conclusions.

I am also quite sceptical of armchair “experts” on social media who have suddenly become so knowledgeable on explosion forensics, having recently been experts on drone warfare in Ukraine, or epidemiology during COVID-19…
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    Cookie said:

I'm off to Perthshire on Monday. Nowhere better in Europe* for Autumn colours. I know this is far from the biggest concern, but I'm hoping the storm doesn't prematurely remove the goldens and browns from the trees.

*I have travelled nowhere near enough to know whether this is true, but it seems feasible.

It is fabulous. The hillside to the north and east of Perth is excellent already and will get better but the trees and walks around Dunkeld are hard to beat. Do the river walk there. So many different mature trees from all around the world.

This storm is looking ominous though. The woods near me haven’t recovered from the storm 3? years ago. In fact they won’t in my lifetime.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399
    edited October 2023

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

If Israel bombs Gaza, they are using violence with the intent of forcing others to change their policies under threat of future violence. But I wouldn’t call what Israel is doing terrorism. All war is violence to change policies, but not all war is terrorism.
    It's certainly a term devalued by decades of subjective use. I don't remember many on here objecting to Zhelensky characterising Russian use of missiles and bombs as terrorism.
  • Options

glw said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed. This genocide is 20 years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effacer_le_tableau Who here even knew about this?
    I've certainly read and heard about such things in the Congo War, and pygmy people being regarded as a consumable and disposable resource who could be killed at will. It has been reported for example by the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3869489.stm

I may have picked it up via a programme such as From Our Own Correspondent or one of the R4 or BBC WS documentary slots.
  • Options
    But which posters on PB are in fact AI?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

OT - for @Peter_the_Punter - have responded to your Post Office questions on my website.

Thanks, CF.

It is much as I thought.

More anon.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Quite possibly you could with the latest ones. But in a while - probably a short while - familiarity would mean that spotting the subtle cues would become easier.
    But the "subtle cues" are disappearing. eg hands

Like human artists, AI finds hands hard. Even now it often gets them wrong, sometimes absurdly so - six fingers and the like

But now the latest models are mastering hands. All of these glitches will be ironed out, there won't be any visual cues
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Again. I disagree

How many people really cared about the Rwandan genocide, or ongoing massacres in Central Africa, despite the photographic evidence?

I can remember Richard Littlejohn at the time, writing an article along the lines of "If the MBongo tribe and the Mbango tribes want to wipe each other out, why should that bother me?"
    True, but that's more an artifice of racial and cultural distance

The Armenians look, sound and come across as southern Europeans, and Europeans with a grand, ancient, Christian civilisation at that. If we had images of the genocide we would care about it more, I am sure of it

I've been to the Genocide museum in Yerevan. Even they don't have images, there are none. You encounter a lot of documents, eye witness accounts, reportage, but you have to work at the task, to get the sense of scale and horror. You have to read, basically

A picture tells a thousand words...

On my way out I went to the eternal flame of the Armenian people: a striking large shrine on a mountaintop, which cradles a fire which burns perpetually in the memory of the Armenian dead. I saw a young pretty Armenian mother with two small boys tentatively approach the flame and then lay two little bouquets of flowers. Then they just stood there. Them and me, and the flame, and the ancient, haunting Armenian church music which echoes around the shrine, 24/7

Unbearably moving; I had tears in my eyes

Yes, I agree on that. For centuries everyone DID shrug at anti-Semitism, even - as we have discussed - civilised western Europeans of great intellect, from TS Eliot down. Jew hatred was acceptable, and pogroms were unfortunate but oh well weird stuff happens

It took the monumental, earth shaking horror of the Holocaust to change this, and it took a couple of decades after 1945 for it to really sink in
    I have a theory that the reason the Holocaust stands out was the bureaucracy of it.

Genocide across the ages has usually been visceral; whipped up emotion from firebrands leading to out-of-control mobs taking matters into their own hands as the state looked on, whether approvingly or helplessly. Partly, that was simply because the state was too small to be able to control the emotions even if it'd wanted to.

Whereas the Holocaust was different. If wasn't carried out in hot blood but planned with all the administrative detail of a welfare state turned inside out. That feels uncomfortably close to home.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

BTW Dick Lauder's book on the great flood of 1829 is a great read if a bit of a horrorshow one (in the Clockwork Orange sense as well, I suppose).

https://archive.org/details/anaccountgreatf00laudgoog/page/n2/mode/2up

This is a modern assessment - free (may need joining up, but JSTOR is OK)

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4640000
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,959
    edited October 2023

Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

When an upland river like the Dee is in full flood it can create a new gravel bank in minutes.

If you want to deepen the main channel then bring explosives.

The only trick available is not having the water run straight into the river in the first place.
  • Options

Is AS (Authentic Stupidity) the antonym of AI?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,540
    maxh said:

AlistairM said:

Couple of good posts this morning.

James Cleverly clearly knows who he is talking about here:

Last night, too many jumped to conclusions around the tragic loss of life at Al Ahli hospital.

Getting this wrong would put even more lives at risk.

Wait for the facts, report them clearly and accurately.

Cool heads must prevail.

https://x.com/JamesCleverly/status/1714573399635140798?s=20

Dan Hodges is spot on. It is very quiet on this topic this morning.

We have never seen a more graphic example of the double standards applied to Israel than the wave of condemnation that erupted when people thought the IDF were responsible for the hospital attack, followed by the silence accompanying the realisation it was Hamas or their proxies.
    https://x.com/DPJHodges/status/1714578145532125638?s=20

As someone who was prepared to condemn Israel if the strike was from them, I’d say this is absolutely right.

If indeed the rockets came from the Palestinian side it only reinforces that the
    organisations purporting to fight for Palestinian freedom by firing rockets…at a Palestinian hospital need to be destroyed.
    Not at it. It’s a failed rocket that fell well short of its target with catastrophic results.
    The scale of the explosions, however, seem to raise questions about what was being stored in the hospital.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

It's certainly a term devalued by decades of subjective use. I don't remember many on here objecting to Zhelensky characterising Russian use of missiles and bombs as terrorism.
    Terrorism is, and always has been, a very politicised word. I am all in favour of journalists avoiding using it. The facts of what happened speak for themselves. If someone is only horrified by Hamas’s attacks on civilians if we call it “terrorism”, then there’s something very wrong with them.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,515
    Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Sean_F said:

Leon said:

Again. I disagree

True, but that's more an artifice of racial and cultural distance

The Armenians look, sound and come across as southern Europeans, and Europeans with a grand, ancient, Christian civilisation at that. If we had images of the genocide we would care about it more, I am sure of it

I've been to the Genocide museum in Yerevan. Even they don't have images, there are none. You encounter a lot of documents, eye witness accounts, reportage, but you have to work at the task, to get the sense of scale and horror. You have to read, basically

A picture tells a thousand words...

On my way out I went to the eternal flame of the Armenian people: a striking large shrine on a mountaintop, which cradles a fire which burns perpetually in the memory of the Armenian dead. I saw a young pretty Armenian mother with two small boys tentatively approach the flame and then lay two little bouquets of flowers. Then they just stood there. Them and me, and the flame, and the ancient, haunting Armenian church music which echoes around the shrine, 24/7

Unbearably moving; I had tears in my eyes

Given that Russia lost an estimated 27 million, they have a bit of a point, and the express intention of the Hunger Plan is instructive too.
  • Options

@Leon of course!
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

AlistairM said:

I don’t think we should trust what Hamas say. I wouldn’t trust the IDF much either, who have told plenty of lies in the past. We should avoid rushing to conclusions.

I am also quite sceptical of armchair “experts” on social media who have suddenly become so knowledgeable on explosion forensics, having recently been experts on drone warfare in Ukraine, or epidemiology during COVID-19…
    That's the point - you don't need to be a forensic explosives expert to see that there is no huge crater, the building is still standing and that there was a larger fire at Luton airport last week. Yet, despite this, many people just repeated the lies that they had been told unquestioningly.
  • Options

Dan Hodges claiming that Keir Starmer is under A LOT of pressure to change Labour's stance on the Gazan war. To what though? A ceasefire? Those calling for a ceasefire without the release of hostages make me angry.

He could be less supine on der Hungerplan. His claim last week that Israel was justified in cutting off power and water to Gaza as part of defending itself is what riled a lot of people.

• Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

International law makes exception for states to use proportionate violence, both internally and externally, under the rules of law. Those rules are the price paid for not being terrorists when engaging in the use of force.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Yes the LibDems were in first immediately Nadine said she was resigning with a large number of activists canvassing and delivering.
    They were odds on favourite for several weeks. Then Labour barged in late, no doubt feeling entitled to it, and have probably gifted this seat to the Tories.

I do think that the LibDems can only win a seat like this if Labour let them on the grounds that many Tories will vote LibDem but will not countenance Labour. This appeared to be happening here, as it did in Somerton and Frome. And then Labour came late to the party and have given it to the Tories.
    So we agree that the Lib Dems tried to barge Labour aside first?

But really, one by-election makes little difference in the big picture and whether the Tories retain it or not matters far less than the vote share they end up with, as a pointer to 2024.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The SNP leader in Westminster calling for a ceasefire without also calling for the release of hostages.

They need to be much more careful about reassuring Scotland’s Jewish community. We all understand Humza's concern about his relatives in Gaza, which is all the more reason to be balanced. Refusing to fly the Israeli flag at Holyrood was not a good look and upset a lot of people.
    You do know

(a) about this

https://www.gov.scot/publications/first-minister-speech-service-solidarity-giffnock-synagogue/

and (b) Holyrood is the Corporate Body - not the SG?

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,157
    What's the latest on who was responsible for the Gaza blast?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,234
    Barnesian said:

And to think some questioned my contention yesterday that the Libs had a sense of entitlement at by-elections.

This is one of the maddest posts I have seen on here for a while.

The Liberals are in THIRD place in the seat.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Indeed. Crackers.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

No, its fluid dynamics which is considerably more complicated.
    Except when you are dealing with the turbulent flow inside the rocket motor, of course.
    Ah you see, fluid dynamics.

Modelling the boundries between turbulent and laminar flow in any system makes your head hurt. We have to do it for the drilling fluids in the well annulus or they won't carry the cuttings. Bloody horrible even when you have computers to help.

I had no idea about that! I learnt all about Re for animal mechanics and biophysics, but never had to apply it in action.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,553
    DavidL said:

Cookie said:

I'm off to Perthshire on Monday. Nowhere better in Europe* for Autumn colours. I know this is far from the biggest concern, but I'm hoping the storm doesn't prematurely remove the goldens and browns from the trees.

*I have travelled nowhere near enough to know whether this is true, but it seems feasible.

It is fabulous. The hillside to the north and east of Perth is excellent already and will get better but the trees and walks around Dunkeld are hard to beat. Do the river walk there. So many different mature trees from all around the world.

This storm is looking ominous though. The woods near me haven’t recovered from the storm 3? years ago. In fact they won’t in my lifetime.
    Yes, we're staying just outside Dunkeld. We did the same trip last year. I loved it. I would describe the Tay there as 'muscular'; quite an awesome volume of water surging past.
    I'm hoping to do Ben Vrackie, if the kids are up to it; and also possibly the Falls of Bruar. We're also (following last year's recommendation by, I think, @Luckyguy1983 ) going to do the Enchanted Forest again. Hopefully schedule in a castle of some sort.
    But basically just spend a few days together as a family. The kids are absolutely running on empty leading up to half term - haven't needed a holiday as much as this in a long time!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

Because it's explicitly BBC policy not to refer to Hamas as terrorists.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-67083432

You explanation, in which you implied they would happily call them terrorists if it ever came up naturally, was, therefore, absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,515

Leon said:

BIt unfair on the lovely girls who faked the fairy photos - I think they are actually rather good.

But yes, faked photos have been around as long as photos. Never forget how people vanished in Soviet era photos.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'll hazard a wild guess that we remain where we were when it happened last night.

Nobody knows.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Have you forgotten about Stalin doctoring photos in the 1930s?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,227
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Are these pictures you show people the *first* random one that gets spat out of the system, or do you curate them to pick the best?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

International law makes exception for states to use proportionate violence, both internally and externally, under the rules of law. Those rules are the price paid for not being terrorists when engaging in the use of force.
    So, you agree that your definition was insufficient.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,031
    While I agree with those mentioning other doctored/faked photos, these were not nearly as easy as AI art will enable false photos. All that's needed is a text prompt.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Are these pictures you show people the *first* random one that gets spat out of the system, or do you curate them to pick the best?
    Curated, absolutely
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Endillion said:

kinabalu said:

That's just pathetic.

So, you agree that your definition was insufficient.
    Fine. Let me add the single word 'unlawful' before 'violence'.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I'll hazard a wild guess that we remain where we were when it happened last night.

Nobody knows.
    I haven't looked a the news for about 12 hours. Thought it was a good idea to have a brief rest from it.
  • Options
    GoupillonGoupillon Posts: 79
    edited October 2023
    The FT published this well balanced piece yesterday on the current position in Mid Beds.

https://www.ft.com/content/22be14ad-f5ad-4d57-b2fc-2ed4a48f21f5

The LDs are fighting for this seat very hard to make the point they are the the opposition party with the best chance of winning in a mostly rural seat because the vast majority of traditional, soft Tory voters are very unlikely to switch to Labour despite Keir Starmer's window dressing. I can confirm reports that I have heard from several LD canvassers that believe the result will be very close and they have a good chance of winning tomorrow.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Nobody knows.
    Er..... I would suggest things have moved on somewhat. Not least since we have the advantage of daylight. The evidence now seems to suggest it was most likely a Hamas rocket that misfired. Further analysis of the ground would probably help though. Will the UN be invited in?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    biggles said:

Where were you canvassing? The independent is a reasonably well likely local councillor in the biggest town, where the commuters live. He won’t get much, but I’d bet what he gets is mostly lapsed Tories and standard LibDem targets. One of the reasons I thought they were stating form an even lower position than the council results and polls would suggest.

I think you overestimate the Libs and so would bring the others in a bit. But agree on order.

You may be right, of course. Flitwick was one of the 4 sessions (the other two were smaller towns and villages). I suppose I talked to about 60 people there and he wasn't mentioned. But it's a small sample so I might well have missed his strongest area.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

Barnesian said:

Indeed. Crackers.
    Yet it seems Labour are the ones getting most upset and having a sense of entitlement and that is after they did f*** all for weeks while the LDs worked it. Some Lab supporters really have no sense of irony when complaining about a political party having the nerve to challenge them in an election.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787

Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

When an upland river like the Dee is in full flood it can create a new gravel bank in minutes.

The only trick available is not having the water run straight into the river in the first place.
    A couple of stretches of the River Wear completely changed their course during flood events.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

A couple of stretches of the River Wear completely changed their course during flood events.
    And have a look at the abstract for the modern paper on the 1829 floods, or even the contemporary account - I posted the links a little way below. They make that very point that you two do.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    edited October 2023
    Labour lead down to 12 points with More in Common . Fieldwork 14 to 16 October

Lab 42
    Con 30
    Lib Dem 12
    Reform 7
    Green 6
    SNP 3

I think events in the Middle East are helping the Cons with attention away from domestic issues .

The combined Con and Reform at 37 would seriously worry Labour . I think a few weeks back I’d have backed Labour for both by-elections . Now I think they’re more likely to take Tamworth than Mid-Beds . The split votes there and drop in national lead might be too much of a climb . In Tamworth the Tory candidate might have harmed his hopes with Fxckgate.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

People who work for the responsible agencies consistently downplay the importance of dredging, because dredging is strongly disfavoured in EU law (which they still apply, gold-plated, in the UK). Personally I've never seen a remotely convincing case that dredging is not an essential part of river maintenance to prevent flooding. Someone posted a long article in opposition to dredging the last time we had this debate and buried in the text was an admission that it would have worked to prevent the flooding dealt with in the piece.

It is very difficult to see that this stems from anything but a wish to alarm people about the changes in climate and make them more amenable to otherwise unacceptable curtailments of freedom and financial costs. They ban new reservoirs from being built, and scream 'drought' in the Summer. They ban dredg

Eabhal said:

Pro_Rata said:

Could be a bad one.

I am sure that is true, and I am sure the usefulness of dredging is variable, but can we say with confidence that the river bed has not risen and the overall capacity of the river not decreased, during the time when dredging has been curtailed drastically?
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

The SNP leader in Westminster calling for a ceasefire without also calling for the release of hostages.

They need to be much more careful about reassuring Scotland’s Jewish community. We all understand Humza's concern about his relatives in Gaza, which is all the more reason to be balanced. Refusing to fly the Israeli flag at Holyrood was not a good look and upset a lot of people.
    You do know

(a) about this

https://www.gov.scot/publications/first-minister-speech-service-solidarity-giffnock-synagogue/

Yes, but impressions count. The corporate body is majority SNP/Green MSPs.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,717

Foxy said:

Pro_Rata said:

I've not heard an explanation of what is driving the market and there doesn't seem to have been any more constituency polling.

Ideas on what it might be:

- Genuine impressions from canvassing
    - Large and value taking bets skewing the market, whether just for betting purposes or individual politically motivated punters attempting to create a narrative of Labour drift
    - The slight downward oscillation of the
    Labour lead in GE polls.
    - An impression the Independent has been squeezed out and will not absorb as many Con votes as previously thought (though my thought here is that an Independent can also soak up Con -> Lab/LD switching behaviour, so it's more neutral than sometimes credited)

Anything else?

There is this apparent leaked Tory internal report:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1714250238666404249?t=RaU-45c-iUiSFIlaUKF11Q&s=19

In short, Tories expect their vote to halve to 30%. Not many direct to Labour switchers and lots of abstentions.

It could go any direction, but 30% is pretty unlikely to win.
    FWIW from my 4 canvass sessions at the weekend:

* The Independent is nowhere - no discussion or interest whatever
    * There was a fair amount of tactical voting discussion and a dwindling pool of voters who said they'd decide when in the polling station. But voters saying they would definitely go LibDem were a rarity (I met two) and I'm entirely sure they are not in a position to win.
    * However, a LibDem council colleague tells me that LibDem members are being bombarded with messages saying the opposite, that they are poised to win, one more heave, and so on. It may be that the polling movement reflects that, or of course that I'm wrong.
    * Labour thinks we are close to winning, but I've yet to meet anyone who was privately prepared to make it a nailed-on prediction. The Tory leaked briefing does anticipate a Labour win in both seats.
    * Standing back from direct impressions, the Tories really should be favourites - the size of their majority can only be overcome if the electorate is clear that there is only one serious challenger. I don't think that there are many ex-Tories who will vote LibDem rather than Labour or the opposite out of principle - we are seen as awfully similar these days. But although I think we've edged the tactical vote battle, the flood of LibDem leaflets must be diluting that.

So IMO the odds should be something like Con 2, Lab 2.5, LD 6. But that's of course just my best guess.

Nick, I can confirm what your LD friend says. Lots of stuff coming out to members saying it is tight between LDs and Con and no mention of Lab, but take it with a pinch of salt because we would say that wouldn't we
  • Options
    Cookie said:

DavidL said:

Cookie said:

Yes, we're staying just outside Dunkeld. We did the same trip last year. I loved it. I would describe the Tay there as 'muscular'; quite an awesome volume of water surging past.
    I'm hoping to do Ben Vrackie, if the kids are up to it; and also possibly the Falls of Bruar. We're also (following last year's recommendation by, I think, @Luckyguy1983 ) going to do the Enchanted Forest again. Hopefully schedule in a castle of some sort.
    But basically just spend a few days together as a family. The kids are absolutely running on empty leading up to half term - haven't needed a holiday as much as this in a long time!
    Blair Castle is great if you want to see a massive baronial (Ducal in this case) pile. Should fit in with Bruar quite well. So glad you enjoyed last year's visit - sure this one will be even better.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Nobody knows.
    I haven't looked a the news for about 12 hours. Thought it was a good idea to have a brief rest from it.
    The "News" from 12 hours ago has turned out to be a load of bollocks.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

You do know

(a) about this

It's remarkable how many folk who accuse the SNP of being obessed with a flag are obsessed with flags. The times I've seen tweets moaning about nasty nationalism from accounts emblazoned with a select set of flag emojis..

The right and wrong sorts of flags I suppose.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,232
    edited October 2023
    nico679 said:

Lab 42
    Con 30
    Lib Dem 12
    Reform 7
    Green 6
    SNP 3

I think events in the Middle East are helping the Cons with attention away from domestic issues .

The combined Con and Reform at 37 would seriously worry Labour . I think a few weeks back I’d have backed Labour for both by-elections . Now I think they’re more likely to take Tamworth than Mid-Beds . The split votes there and drop in national lead might be too much of a climb . In Tamworth the Tory candidate might have harmed his hopes with Fxckgate.

Sunak now doing fractionally better than Major 1997, then it was Labour 43% Con 30%.

Albeit he is still doing worse than Hague 2001 when it was Labour 40% Con 31%
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Barnesian said:

I suspect that whoever wins will have much less impact. Most of the public won’t notice. Others will see one day’s headlines.

Obviously, people in parties do pay more attention, but even then, the Labourites who like cooperation with the LibDems will still like cooperation with the LibDems and those who don’t will still not. Any Tories who think winning on ~30% because they got lucky on a split opposition vote is a big success or a winning strategy for the general election is a fool. Sure, milk the headlines if you win, but don’t get carried away!
    As a PR supporter who has advocated Lib-Lab cooperation for years and practiced it both as an MP and currently in council coalition, it does plenty to discourage me. If the Tories win the seat, as Barnesian revealingly hopes in the absence of an unlikely LibDem win, we will certainly blame the LibDems, and apparently they will blame us. Encourage cooperation? No.

But we should park the argument till Friday when we find out what actually happened, eh?
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    nico679 said:

Lab 42
    Con 30
    Lib Dem 12
    Reform 7
    Green 6
    SNP 3

This is a swing of 12% since the general election, and Labour need a 10% swing to win a majority with the old boundaries. I think we're heading for a Lab/LD coalition, (which would hopefully introduce proportional representation).
  • Options
    kjh said:

Barnesian said:

Indeed. Crackers.
    Yet it seems Labour are the ones getting most upset and having a sense of entitlement and that is after they did f*** all for weeks while the LDs worked it. Some Lab supporters really have no sense of irony when complaining about a political party having the nerve to challenge them in an election.
    I have been extremely critical of Labour's sluggishness in Mid Beds – I'm amazed you have missed my posts on the matter given how often I have repeated the point.

Yet @Barnesian 's argument is so crackpot it is almost beyond normal criticism and, rather, worthy of mockery. He argues, with a straight face, that, as the Liberals cannot win by-elections unless Labour concedes them, Labour should concede them even when the Liberals are IN THIRD PLACE.

I mean, this is not clever tactical voting strategy but, rather, an exercise in sheer idiocy. Sure, give the main challenger a free pass (a la Somerton, where Labour wilfully handed over its deposit). But conceding the race to the third-place party, whoever it is, is stark raving bonkers.

So yes, Labour can and should be criticised for being laggardly in Mid Beds.

And, also yes, @Barnesian and his fellow travellers should be scorned for their sense of entitlement and outright hubris.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    kjh said:

Barnesian said:

Indeed. Crackers.
    Of course there are also some soft Tories who would consider voting LD but never vote Labour, especially in a Southern seat like Mid Bedfordshire
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Lab 42
    Con 30
    Lib Dem 12
    Reform 7
    Green 6
    SNP 3

This is a swing of 12% since the general election, and Labour need a 10% swing to win a majority with the old boundaries. I think we're heading for a Lab/LD coalition.
    That's one absolute humdinger of an extrapolation from just one poll. If the next poll shows a 16 point lead will you be calling a Labour majority?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

nico679 said:

Lab 42
    Con 30
    Lib Dem 12
    Reform 7
    Green 6
    SNP 3

This is a swing of 12% since the general election, and Labour need a 10% swing to win a majority with the old boundaries. I think we're heading for a Lab/LD coalition, (which would hopefully introduce proportional representation).
    Not if Labour make big gains from the SNP as the Rutherglen swing would suggest
  • Options

Good afternoon

I have been a bit under the weather recently and on Monday I went to my GP who immediately sent me to A & E as a medical emergency with suspected DVT. I arrived at 5.30pm and was quickly triaged and at 6.30pm I had the all important bloods taken. I waited with my wife in A & E as the waiting times grew from originally 6 hours to 12 hours and at 3.00am I was asked for another blood test as the originally one had been incorrectly taken. It was only at 5.00am I saw a doctor who confirmed DVT and told me she was admitting me into hospital for an early ultra sound. At 7.00am I was summoned to a consultation room with several quite worried doctors and nurses arranging my immediate admission and at 10.30am I had my scan with confirmed an extensive upper leg DVT and treatment began immediately

I am home in quite some pain and know it will take upto 6 months to address the issue but I would just say that everyone in A & E were wonderful, as were the doctors and specialists who acted so quickly once the serious nature of the attack was realised and subsequently the hospital has confirmed that as I am now under their care I must contact them direct if I need to and they will admit me if required without going to A & E. This is very reassuring and hopefully I will in time make a full recovery

Some of the patients in A & E had been there for over 18 hours and as time went on through the night patients applauded when a fellow patient was finally called to the doctors

I tell this story because it is so obvious the issue is with the lack of staff and doctors and is applicable to all parts of the NHS, not just in England

I would just add that witnessing the appalling tragedy going on in Gaza I was reluctant to tell my story but it is a real experience of a patient in a medical emergency and hopefully politicians of whatever party must do something about it but I do have my doubts as there is no money

I should add I am not feeling particularly political at present as when faced with a really serious condition politics seems rather irrelevant

Sorry to hear this. Very glad you're on the mend, and hope for a swifter recovery than you expect.
This discussion has been closed.