Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tories edging up with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Apple have been weirdly left behind in the AI race.

Meta has Llama, Google has DeepMind and Gemini, Amazon has just "bought" Anthropic, Microsoft have a large chunk of the biggest prize: OpenAI

Apple? Are they just sitting there?
  • Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

‘Insulting’: Beano fans pour scorn on UK government advert
    Anger at ‘created in London’ tagline on poster of Dennis the Menace, who was made by a cartoonist in Dundee
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/26/beano-fans-scorn-uk-government-advert-dennis-the-menace

The advert states it is referring to the animated TV show created in Fleet St…
    Where does it say that? The first thing they refer to in the small print is the 1951 origin, which chimes with the [edit] 'created' in the big splash text. The movie comes later, and no mention of Fleet St or even London [edit] in the small text.

Edit: I suspect the text was accurate to begin with, but got morphed several times down the line ...
    I admit that relying on the Guardian to be accurate is… brave…

From @Nigelb ‘s link:

It depicts Dennis and Gnasher alongside the headline “Created in London. Unleashed in more than 100 countries” and in smaller print clarifies that it is referring to the animated television series produced from DC Thomson’s Fleet Street office.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Can we get AI to build HS2?

Leon said:

Just like to point out that I started banging on about AI this morning - that something was up - and I was told to stop blithering, here we are at 10pm and OpenAI are suddenly valued at $90 BILLION

I really do have a gift. I scare myself

These deals will be the new AOL-Time Warner merger.
    Except, not really

Because this isn't just an American show. The Chinese are ALSO furiously working away at AI

"China Aims To Replicate Human Brain in Bid To Dominate Global AI"

https://www.newsweek.com/china-aims-replicate-human-brain-bid-dominate-global-ai-1825084

This is one reason that development will not be "paused" on AI, despite the many serious risks. It is even riskier for the Americans - and others in the West - to allow China to take the lead. Because this tech leads directly to industrial and military dominance, if you can monopolise it (plus also the apocalypse, if we are unlucky)

We have no choice but to buckle up for the ride. At least it is interesting

• PhilPhil Posts: 2,202

Leon said:

Just like to point out that I started banging on about AI this morning - that something was up - and I was told to stop blithering, here we are at 10pm and OpenAI are suddenly valued at $90 BILLION

There is far, far too much hype. Everyone is desperate not to miss out, which is driving ridiculous valuations.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378
    O/T Does anyone care to guess when Far From The Madding Crowd is set? (I'm trying to settle an argument.)

Most sources (ok, Google results) suggest 1860s or 1870s but... no railways are mentioned and Dorchester (Casterbridge) had two lines by 1857.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Except, not really

Because this isn't just an American show. The Chinese are ALSO furiously working away at AI

"China Aims To Replicate Human Brain in Bid To Dominate Global AI"

https://www.newsweek.com/china-aims-replicate-human-brain-bid-dominate-global-ai-1825084

This is one reason that development will not be "paused" on AI, despite the many serious risks. It is even riskier for the Americans - and others in the West - to allow China to take the lead. Because this tech leads directly to industrial and military dominance, if you can monopolise it (plus also the apocalypse, if we are unlucky)

We have no choice but to buckle up for the ride. At least it is interesting

I guess you know nothing about the dotcom bubble.
    Phil said:

Leon said:

There is far, far too much hype. Everyone is desperate not to miss out, which is driving ridiculous valuations.
    That is the instinctive reaction. And I feel it myself, to an extent

And yet, it might be wrong. AI is clearly a massive deal, and if we are close to AGI - or have achieved it already - it is easily as big as the advent of electricity, or even fire - in the context of human history. It is epochal

In that light insane valuations are understandable, even if individual prices might be crazy
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    Leon said:

What. Three. Words.
  • Andy Burnham, Labour mayor of Greater Manchester, has said he is open to a discussion with ministers about delaying construction of the northern leg of the UK’s High Speed 2 rail line if the government commits to building an east-west route.

Rishi Sunak has sparked a political row by launching a review of HS2 with a view to scrapping the northern section that is meant to take trains from Birmingham to Manchester.

Burnham told the prime minister in a letter that northern England should not be forced to choose between HS2 and the proposed east-west route called Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR) that would link Liverpool and Leeds.

But he added “if you are adamant on making changes to the [HS2] scheme, we could be open to a discussion about prioritising the northern section of the line between Manchester airport and Manchester Piccadilly so that it enables NPR to be built first”. 

https://www.ft.com/content/a419da7c-7cc0-437b-a9e8-33e065d0a50a
  • Leon said:

Meta has Llama, Google has DeepMind and Gemini, Amazon has just "bought" Anthropic, Microsoft have a large chunk of the biggest prize: OpenAI

Apple are busy trying to figure out how to get an AI that will be locked into their own walled garden of hardware.
  • Andy Burnham, Labour mayor of Greater Manchester, has said he is open to a discussion with ministers about delaying construction of the northern leg of the UK’s High Speed 2 rail line if the government commits to building an east-west route.

Rishi Sunak has sparked a political row by launching a review of HS2 with a view to scrapping the northern section that is meant to take trains from Birmingham to Manchester.

Burnham told the prime minister in a letter that northern England should not be forced to choose between HS2 and the proposed east-west route called Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR) that would link Liverpool and Leeds.

But he added “if you are adamant on making changes to the [HS2] scheme, we could be open to a discussion about prioritising the northern section of the line between Manchester airport and Manchester Piccadilly so that it enables NPR to be built first”. 

https://www.ft.com/content/a419da7c-7cc0-437b-a9e8-33e065d0a50a

Interesting.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

Leon said:

Apple are busy trying to figure out how to get an AI that will be locked into their own walled garden of hardware.
    Apple makes a big deal of not collecting and processing user data. That makes training difficult for them. Compared to a data-hoover like Google Apple isn't even a minnow. Apple are essentially betting on doing AI the 'hard way'. Maybe it will work, but I'll be surprised if it does.
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

What. Three. Words.
    Yes, lol, fair enough

However, I am pretty sure that AI is gonna be BIG, it's more a question of whether it is "just" like the advent of the internet, or even more civilisational, eg like the invention of agriculture
  • Aston Villa players complain sweaty Castore shirts are affecting performances

The problem has been particularly obvious on the claret home shirts, which quickly turn much darker during games

Aston Villa players have told club chiefs they are unhappy with this season’s wet-look shirts, which they claim are weighing them down.

Head coach Unai Emery is thought to be aware of the issue, with Villa now working with sports manufacturer Castore to try to find a solution as quickly as possible.

Villa launched new home, away and third kits this season, but supporters have noticed the shirts quickly become wet through and cling to players during games due to perspiration.

Telegraph Sport understands that has prompted complaints from players, who believe it to be a performance issue and have told members of the Villa hierarchy that the shirts become uncomfortable and heavy.

‌The problem has been particularly obvious on the claret home shirts, which quickly turn much darker during games, but players have claimed the white away kit is just as bad.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/26/aston-villa-player-complain-sweaty-castore-kit-performance/
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743

nico679 said:

Trump has so de-sensitized America that it’s hard to see what he’d have to do for some of his followers to wake up .

Die.
    Anything negative reported about Trump, including his death, is just a liberal conspiracy.
    Sheeple.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Absolutely extraordinary. This company was worth a few hundred mill about 3 years ago, I believe. Early this year it was $30bn

"OpenAI is talking to investors about a possible share sale that would value the artificial-intelligence startup behind ChatGPT at between $80 billion to $90 billion"

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1706756794586988544

Dotcom mania. OpenAI has nothing anyone else doesn't (cf the "there is no moat" memo) and I've heard the AGI rumour from better sources than this website in relation to Google, not OpenAI.

The truth is that "AI" or whatever you want to call it is mostly based on open source academic papers or otherwise knowledge that's very easy to acquire by, say, poaching a few devs -- there's no secret sauce here.

The really terrifying thing is that AGI is probably already here (see above) but requires mainframe (or kajillions spent on the cloud, in today's money) level computational power -- plus a bit of secret sauce, the code that makes it tick. But within five years or so, it will be available to any kid running a moderately specced 2030-ish gaming pc, and the source code reverse-engineered.

It's sort of like they hype around 3d printers, only years later nobody has a 3d printer because they have very little use case for it. The analogy here is if you could 3d print a gun off the laptop you've already got for surfing the web and checking email -- five years or so and anyone will be able to homebrew AGI.

I know you like to talk about aliens, and there is an analogy here - humans realising we are not alone in the universe. But more than that, humans realising there is no "secret sauce" to consciousness either. Language + memory + computational power + time (to acquire memories) is all you need for consciousness. That is what the AI geeks I know are saying behind closed doors at any rate...
    DM for you
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

New Thread

• CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Multiculturalism has failed according to Braverman failing to see the irony of her argument given she’s from immigrant parents !

I don't see the irony. She appears to be someone who has embraced British culture.
    So she’s saying that multiculturalism has failed but on the other hand she’s portraying herself as showing it hasn’t .
    No. She is demonstrating assimilation, not mutilculturalism.
    Not sure these are mutually exclusive. Can a person not assimilate on the essentials (eg language and law) yet maintain some of their (other) cultural identity? Surely they can. If not it implies we're an intolerant mono kind of a place. Or that we want to be. That sounds a pretty grim prospect to me. I've always taken the 'multicultural society' to be just a fact of modern life. I'm quite suspicious of the message that it's
    'failed'. When I hear this I can't help wondering what exactly is meant. What has failed? The 'experiment' of modern life?
    There's something patronising about reducing other people's cultural identity to the things that are compatible with your own. When it comes to things like patriarchal values, I'm sure you'd be for assimilation.
    I don't see anything patronising in what I said there. Patriarchal attitudes should be resisted and argued against wherever they are and whoever holds them. One of the world's top evils, imo, the oppression of women.
    So on deep cultural issues you expect incomers to fit in with the norms that have been established here, but you're ok with them bringing superficial things like food and fashion.
    You're like a supercondensed UnHerd article sometimes. :smile:

But no, that isn't an accurate summary of what I think. What you eat and wear, the music you listen to, your calendar of special days, your religion, your attitude to family, to old age, etc etc, these aren't superficial things imo. Where I expect (or maybe 'hope' is a better word) not just incomers but everyone in the UK (and indeed elsewhere) to play ball is on basics such as racial and gender and LGBT equality (if that's what you have in mind with 'deep cultural issues', which I sense it is).
    Why have you omitted sex equality?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Leon said:

The putative price for OpenAI makes sense if

1. This is a classic bubble, 21st century tulipmania, OpenAI have hyped themselves superbly, but bubbles burst and in this case shareholders will get burned

Or

2. The rumours being spread (possibly by them) have some truth: they have achieved AGI - internally. If they have, then $80 billion is probably a bargain

Creating the first AGI is difficult. Creating the second one is cheaper. Creating the 10,000nd one is very easy. The trick is to loop thru each iteration quickly. I'll wait five years for the free version.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

Aston Villa players complain sweaty Castore shirts are affecting performances

The problem has been particularly obvious on the claret home shirts, which quickly turn much darker during games

Aston Villa players have told club chiefs they are unhappy with this season’s wet-look shirts, which they claim are weighing them down.

Head coach Unai Emery is thought to be aware of the issue, with Villa now working with sports manufacturer Castore to try to find a solution as quickly as possible.

Villa launched new home, away and third kits this season, but supporters have noticed the shirts quickly become wet through and cling to players during games due to perspiration.

Telegraph Sport understands that has prompted complaints from players, who believe it to be a performance issue and have told members of the Villa hierarchy that the shirts become uncomfortable and heavy.

‌The problem has been particularly obvious on the claret home shirts, which quickly turn much darker during games, but players have claimed the white away kit is just as bad.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/09/26/aston-villa-player-complain-sweaty-castore-kit-performance/

It won’t be a problem for Man U!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

O/T Does anyone care to guess when Far From The Madding Crowd is set? (I'm trying to settle an argument.)

Most sources (ok, Google results) suggest 1860s or 1870s but... no railways are mentioned and Dorchester (Casterbridge) had two lines by 1857.

Isn't it set in the Puddletown area, near where TH was born at Higher Bockhampton? The railways don't go that way (well, the Dorchester-Wareham line does a bit, but it's to the south, to the other side of the Frome watermeadows. And if the characters don't travel much, it may not register.

Dorchester/Casterbridge was of course an army depot, but not till much later in the C19 I think? The thing that puzzles me on reflection is how/why Troy was released from the army. Any reference to that? Released early due to illness? or ganbling? The term of service with the Regulars was 21 years till 1870, so how old is he in the book? Assuming it's not 1814-1815.

And if he is young and not a part timer (Yeomarny/Volunteer/Militia man) then presumably we are looking at 1876 on - 1870 plus 6 years service under the 1870 Act.

Other poss is a part timer who went out to the Crimea but I don't think they did - home defence only?

https://www.parliament.uk/about/living-heritage/transformingsociety/private-lives/yourcountry/overview/victorianarmies/
This discussion has been closed.