Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Tories edging up with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited October 2023 in General
Tories edging up with YouGov – politicalbetting.com

Latest YouGov Westminster voting intention (21-22 Sep, conducted after Rishi Sunak's net zero announcements)Con: 27% (+3 from 13-14 Sep)Lab: 43% (-2)Lib Dems: 10% (+1)Reform UK: 8% (=)Green: 7% (-2)SNP: 4% (+1)https://t.co/UWRacu9yKD pic.twitter.com/6BKcXxiFkq

Read the full story here

Comments

• Err....
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023
    If that’s all the Tories have after their wonderful IHT stuff..err..what’s left in terms of policy for them to announce?
  • Dammit.

One caveat:

So far, we're seeing bounce back from a terrible set of polls last week. It all gets more interesting if it continues.

And even if you approve of one or more of Sunak's announcements, they are coming in a messy heap, which feels suboptimal.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,741
    ‘Insulting’: Beano fans pour scorn on UK government advert
    Anger at ‘created in London’ tagline on poster of Dennis the Menace, who was made by a cartoonist in Dundee
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/26/beano-fans-scorn-uk-government-advert-dennis-the-menace
  • If and when we see the first poll with a Labour lead of sub 10% then that's when things get interesting and I will be deploying my legendary modesty klaxon.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,247
    Is this a 'cut the green crap' bounce?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    What strikes me from the graph is just how consistently stable the polls have been.
    It's been Labour in the 40's Tories in the 20's for over a year now.
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Multiculturalism has failed according to Braverman failing to see the irony of her argument given she’s from immigrant parents !

I don't see the irony. She appears to be someone who has embraced British culture.
    So she’s saying that multiculturalism has failed but on the other hand she’s portraying herself as showing it hasn’t .
    No. She is demonstrating assimilation, not mutilculturalism.
    Not sure these are mutually exclusive. Can a person not assimilate on the essentials (eg language and law) yet maintain some of their (other) cultural identity? Surely they can. If not it implies we're an intolerant mono kind of a place. Or that we want to be. That sounds a pretty grim prospect to me. I've always taken the 'multicultural society' to be just a fact of modern life. I'm quite suspicious of the message that it's
    'failed'. When I hear this I can't help wondering what exactly is meant. What has failed? The 'experiment' of modern life?
    There's something patronising about reducing other people's cultural identity to the things that are compatible with your own. When it comes to things like patriarchal values, I'm sure you'd be for assimilation.
    I don't see anything patronising in what I said there. Patriarchal attitudes should be resisted and argued against wherever they are and whoever holds them. One of the world's top evils, imo, the oppression of women.
    So on deep cultural issues you expect incomers to fit in with the norms that have been established here, but you're ok with them bringing superficial things like food and fashion.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,997

If and when we see the first poll with a Labour lead of sub 10% then that's when things get interesting and I will be deploying my legendary modesty klaxon.

Including undecideds, Yougov has Labour just 11% ahead now on 29% to 18% for the Tories, 7% for the LDs, 5% for RefUK and the Greens and 17% DK. Of those who are DK 21% voted Conservative in 2019, 14% LD and just 9% Labour.

Sunak also is generally closer to Starmer as preferred PM than the Tories are to Labour overall
    https://d3nkl3psvxxpe9.cloudfront.net/documents/TheTimes_VI_230922_W.pdf
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    Nigelb said:

‘Insulting’: Beano fans pour scorn on UK government advert
    Anger at ‘created in London’ tagline on poster of Dennis the Menace, who was made by a cartoonist in Dundee
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2023/sep/26/beano-fans-scorn-uk-government-advert-dennis-the-menace

Apparently the ad is because someone in London makes a cartoon movie. So I suppose it's accurate, in that sense.

kinabalu said:

More a XL dogs' bollocks one? So hard to know, all the announcements, not least the yes/no/maybe ones like HS2.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited September 2023
    Sunak and co. will see all this as vindication of the whole raft of anti-green policies just announced, ofcourse.

The only problem with that is that that might make the Tories' target Southern, vaguely Lib Dem-frienfly seats even harder for them, if they bed in with this kind of approach. It started in Uxbridge, and ended far from Eastbourne, for them..
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,064
    Perspective is important. In September so far every poll has had Labour from 43-47. Every poll has had Tories 23-28. On current data Labour are 45 and Tories are 26.5

From here the Tories have little or no downside and Labour ditto upside. Personally I expect the polls to tighten quite a bit, and it's close as to whether Labour are + or - 325 seats. I think it's odds on Labour are under 325 seats, and there perhaps lies any value in the betting.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    10th. Like Australia in World Rugby rankings
  • Everton funded by Russian money. They need to get the full Chelsea treatment from the government.

Everton owner received £400m from Alisher Usmanov companies, documents suggest

Exclusive: Questions arise over ties between Farhad Moshiri and tycoon, before he was put under sanctions

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/26/everton-fc-owner-alisher-usmanov-farhad-moshiri
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,418

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Multiculturalism has failed according to Braverman failing to see the irony of her argument given she’s from immigrant parents !

I don't see the irony. She appears to be someone who has embraced British culture.
    So she’s saying that multiculturalism has failed but on the other hand she’s portraying herself as showing it hasn’t .
    Not sure these are mutually exclusive. Can a person not assimilate on the essentials (eg language and law) yet maintain some of their (other) cultural identity? Surely they can. If not it implies we're an intolerant mono kind of a place. Or that we want to be. That sounds a pretty grim prospect to me. I've always taken the 'multicultural society' to be just a fact of modern life. I'm quite suspicious of the message that it's
    'failed'. When I hear this I can't help wondering what exactly is meant. What has failed? The 'experiment' of modern life?
    There's something patronising about reducing other people's cultural identity to the things that are compatible with your own. When it comes to things like patriarchal values, I'm sure you'd be for assimilation.
    I don't see anything patronising in what I said there. Patriarchal attitudes should be resisted and argued against wherever they are and whoever holds them. One of the world's top evils, imo, the oppression of women.
    So on deep cultural issues you expect incomers to fit in with the norms that have been established here, but you're ok with them bringing superficial things like food and fashion.
    When it comes to things like - Gays, should we or shouldn't we throw them off buildings? - I'm quite a bigot.

I say that anyone who wants to live in this country will just have to suppress their gay lobbing instincts. If nothing else, it's a terrible H&S problem.

And if that's your culture, then fuck your culture. It's shit.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Penddu2 said:

actually 12th - where Australia will be by next weekend
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,194

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

I’m not certain your dichotomy of “deep cultural issues” vs. “superficial things” holds. I think what people eat is probably a deeper part of one’s culture than patriarchy. Certainly plenty of research shows that immigrant populations hold on to their food longer than they hold on to other cultural identifiers.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,064

If and when we see the first poll with a Labour lead of sub 10% then that's when things get interesting and I will be deploying my legendary modesty klaxon.

By Christmas.
  • If that’s all the Tories have after their wonderful IHT stuff..err..what’s left in terms of policy for them to announce?

Suella going full Enoch?
    kinabalu said:

No.

Very, very few policy announcements ever move the polls. A change of 3% is margin of error stuff. A change of 3% in one poll means nothing.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082
    edited September 2023
    Mystery over ‘secret’ BBC Panorama episode after bombshell Russell Brand Dispatches
    https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/26/bbc-panorama-special-mystery-russell-brand-dispatches-allegations-channel-4-19557320/

Looks like Auntie's found another wrong'un.
    Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

Given that.
    Does anyone see value in Portugal turning them over at the weekend?
  • Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

Remarkable to hear Braverman say multiculturalism has failed. She's a British Home Secretary descended from Goan Indians from Mauritius and Kenya, married to a Jewish husband, in a government headed by Britain's first Hindu PM. What would successful multiculturalism look like?

Well, we could try scoring the speech against Fundamental British Values:

Democracy, Rule of Law, Respect and Tolerance, Individual Liberty.

Actually, probably best not to.
  • Shows how far the LDs have fallen, that today was Davey's big speech and it has been met with complete indifference on here. Also not even a top story on BBC 6 (child vaping followed by Braverman).
    edited September 2023

kinabalu said:

No.

Very, very few policy announcements ever move the polls. A change of 3% is margin of error stuff. A change of 3% in one poll means nothing.
    Hold on, but didn't some of the other polls move in a similar way ?

I think what Sunak may be tapping into is the small, strongly anti-environmental vote ; it's not big, but it might help in some key swing seats. The only problem with this for the Tories, though, is that, as mentioned, i a lot of people in some of their other sort of key, Lib Dem-friendly often Southern seats, hate this sort of thing, and the LD's may probably make hay with their great record of local campaigning. "Want your rivers and lakes to be dirty, and a government is clear that it doesn't care about pollution, or a warming planet ? Vote Sludge." etc.
    'Britain's average CEO is a 55-year-old privately educated white man who studied Economics at Cambridge and makes £4,196,000 a year.

Data from the FTSE100 - a list of the 100 biggest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange - has been used to work out the most common background for a UK CEO.'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12561907/Meet-Andrew-average-British-CEO-Study-reveals-typical-boss-55-year-old-white-Cambridge-educated-man-earns-annual-salary-4-196-000.html
  • If that’s all the Tories have after their wonderful IHT stuff..err..what’s left in terms of policy for them to announce?

Suella going full Enoch?
    Bad Enoch - with apologies to TSE (and Kemi)

Shows how far the LDs have fallen, that today was Davey's big speech and it has been met with complete indifference on here. Also not even a top story on BBC 6 (child vaping followed by Braverman).

Some coverage on BBC, mainly of cancer guarantee
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66926284
    President Biden joins UAW picket line in Michigan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-us-canada-66917039
    Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

Remarkable to hear Braverman say multiculturalism has failed. She's a British Home Secretary descended from Goan Indians from Mauritius and Kenya, married to a Jewish husband, in a government headed by Britain's first Hindu PM. What would successful multiculturalism look like?

Presumably she thinks the other second-generation immigrants haven’t integrated enough? Which is abject nonsense, of course.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    HYUFD said:

Shows how far the LDs have fallen, that today was Davey's big speech and it has been met with complete indifference on here. Also not even a top story on BBC 6 (child vaping followed by Braverman).

Some coverage on BBC, mainly of cancer guarantee
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66926284
    Good thing there is no media bias. It was a good speech and the Lib Dems are going to continue their recovery. A lot of Tory votes in play for them now.
    edited September 2023
    dixiedean said:

Penddu2 said:

Penddu2 said:

Given that.
    Does anyone see value in Portugal turning them over at the weekend?
    20-1 available.
    Value loser.
    Handicap is at the 23.5 point mark.
    Be tempted by the latter.
  • Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

Presumably she thinks the other second-generation immigrants haven’t integrated enough? Which is abject nonsense, of course.
    Does it include 2nd generation immigrants with green cards and second homes in California?

(One of the ironies of this government is how many of its members are the sort of global elite citizens of nowhere that Goodwinism hates.)

kinabalu said:

No.

I think what Sunak may be tapping into is the small, strongly anti-environmental vote ; it's not big, but it might help in some key swing seats. The only problem with this for the Tories, though, is that, as mentioned, i a lot of people in some of their other sort of key, Lib Dem-friendly often Southern seats, hate this sort of thing, and the LD's may probably make hay with their great record of local campaigning. "Want your rivers and lakes to be dirty, and a government is clear that it doesn't care about pollution, or a warming planet ? Vote Sludge." etc.
    Look at the last 5 polls on the Wikipedia table: Conservative are on 26, 28, 27, 28, 28, so average 27.4%.

Go back to the end of August: 30, 29, 28, 24, 26, so average 27.4%.

Nothing has changed.
  • algarkirk said:

By Christmas.
    This is why talk of who will get a peerage under Starmer's Labour government is foolish.

This is no way a done deal.

edited September 2023

kinabalu said:

No.

Look at the last 5 polls on the Wikipedia table: Conservative are on 26, 28, 27, 28, 28, so average 27.4%.

Nothing has changed.
    Hmm.

The media narrative is certainly that it has, though.
    HYUFD said:

'Britain's average CEO is a 55-year-old privately educated white man who studied Economics at Cambridge and makes £4,196,000 a year.

Data from the FTSE100 - a list of the 100 biggest companies listed on the London Stock Exchange - has been used to work out the most common background for a UK CEO.'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12561907/Meet-Andrew-average-British-CEO-Study-reveals-typical-boss-55-year-old-white-Cambridge-educated-man-earns-annual-salary-4-196-000.html

That average person sounds a lot like me! Oh, except the income…
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

If all the immigrants voted Tory, perhaps.

HYUFD said:

That average person sounds a lot like me! Oh, except the income…
    Looks like PPE at Oxford may get you to power and the Cabinet but Economics at Cambridge is the way to go to make money and get to the top in the corporate world in the private sector
    edited September 2023
    That income level is absurd, and not only considering the quality of leadership on offer.

British inequality marches on, while economic performance lags.
  • Ed Davey finally on at 6:22. Conference Hall doesn't exactly look packed
  • HYUFD said:

#CambridgeTheBestJustLookAtOurNobels

kinabalu said:

No.

Nothing has changed.
    Hmm.

Is it? I’ve not seen the media talk much about polling at all. I think maybe the social media narrative among Conservative supporters is saying that, but they’re just clutching at straws.
  • HYUFD said:

The alumnae of Girton and Newnham?

Oh, you said No Bels....
    edited September 2023

kinabalu said:

No.

Nothing has changed.
    Hmm.

Is it? I’ve not seen the media talk much about polling at all. I think maybe the social media narrative among Conservative supporters is saying that, but they’re just clutching at straws.
    Maybe just the narrative here on PB, then ?

That does seem to have been the leading type of perception here, particularly since the Uxbridge vote.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,596

Everton funded by Russian money. They need to get the full Chelsea treatment from the government.

Exclusive: Questions arise over ties between Farhad Moshiri and tycoon, before he was put under sanctions

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/26/everton-fc-owner-alisher-usmanov-farhad-moshiri

Relegate them to the National League, or whatever the conference is called these days
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,221
    Lumme. I'd forgotten how good GPT4 is

Ed Davey finally on at 6:22. Conference Hall doesn't exactly look packed

Gutted to be missing it, I’ve been watching an old Crown Court story.
  • Leon said:

Oh fuck, he's off again. Brace.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454

kinabalu said:

No.

Nothing has changed.
    Hmm.

I haven’t heard anything about polling in the media either. Maybe I have missed it.
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

ConHome with you, right now. Don't come back.
    Women's colleges, in terms of the cohorts you find in CEOs. It's perfectly accurate, being the feminine gender of the adjectival root alumn-, in the nominative plural.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,902
    For those interested the governments appeal against the High Court re Rwanda will take place at the Supreme Court from the 9th to 11th of October .

It will be heard by 5 SC judges .

HYUFD said:

#CambridgeTheBestJustLookAtOurNobs
  • HYUFD said:

I suspect the Mail are full of shit with that figure.

The average CEO is heading a business that looks nothing like a FTSE firm.

I can't find the UK figure, but there are over 200,000 CEOs in America.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    HYUFD said:

Including undecideds, Yougov has Labour just 11% ahead now on 29% to 18% for the Tories, 7% for the LDs, 5% for RefUK and the Greens and 17% DK. Of those who are DK 21% voted Conservative in 2019, 14% LD and just 9% Labour.

Sunak also is generally closer to Starmer as preferred PM than the Tories are to Labour overall
    It does look like a 1992 style result. Tory majority still on at 9/1
  • Taz said:

Everton funded by Russian money. They need to get the full Chelsea treatment from the government.

Relegate them to the National League, or whatever the conference is called these days
    And take away the fun of them earning their spot in the National League by their on the pitch results?
    Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

This is Dua Lipa, a second generation Kosovar Albanian: https://youtu.be/OiC1rgCPmUQ Look at that video: typical behaviour of a Muslim Albanian woman. No evidence of integration.

Oh, God, this is worse. Second generation Greek immigrant, Charles something, not integrating at all: https://youtu.be/18d79QpyAOc
  • Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct as Girton and Newnham were all ladies colleges.

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

And of course by the time in question, Fenland Tech had just about got round to letting the poor girls have the degrees for which they worked. 1947 or something like that?
  • Is this pawn-ography?

Chess grandmaster Hans Niemann denies using vibrating sex toy to cheat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66921563

Leon said:

Oh fuck, he's off again. Brace.
    You can get it to write erotic fiction, if you are REALLY careful and cautious. It has to be coaxed

I'll spare you the examples
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454

HYUFD said:

Bedwetting, trolling, reverse psychology… or your house on it?
  • Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.
    For an individual graduate, an alumnus is a single male, an alumna is a single female, and an alum is the gender neutral term. For the plurals, alumni refers to multiple male or gender neutral graduates, alumnae is for multiple female grads, and alums is the gender neutral plural. These terms are often used loosely and their strict definitions are in flux.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/alumni-or-alumnus-usage-guide#:~:text=For an individual graduate, an,is the gender neutral plural.
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Women's colleges, in terms of the cohorts you find in CEOs. It's perfectly accurate, being the feminine gender of the adjectival root alumn-, in the nominative plural.
    "Alumnus" here is a noun!
    Adjectival noun in both Latin and English, with alumna the widely used feminine version.
    edited September 2023
    nico679 said:

For those interested the governments appeal against the High Court re Rwanda will take place at the Supreme Court from the 9th to 11th of October .

So that's when we'll have a final decision as to how well Braverman has "assimilated" as regards obeying the law of the land.
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

And of course by the time in question, Fenland Tech had just about got round to letting the poor girls have the degrees for which they worked. 1947 or something like that?
    1948, to our shame.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    edited September 2023
    HYUFD said:

The FTSE100 does not contain "average" CEOs.

Edit to add: from a compensation perspective, anyway.

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

1948, to our shame.
    Thanks. Was looking up an alumna's biographical details recently and that bit of information emerged when trying to make sense of what I was seeing.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited September 2023

Is this pawn-ography?

Chess grandmaster Hans Niemann denies using vibrating sex toy to cheat

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-66921563

Get your fix at https://www.redhotpawn.com

Anyway, I thought this was old news. Didn't Magnus Carlsen claim as much about a year ago?

HYUFD said:

Nothing would surprise me anymore . But after 13 years not a single public service is better but much worse and I think at the end that will cost the Tories their majority .

I’m not convinced Labour will get much of a majority themselves but we live in hope that at least the Tories won’t be able to form a government.

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.
    For an individual graduate, an alumnus is a single male, an alumna is a single female, and an alum is the gender neutral term. For the plurals, alumni refers to multiple male or gender neutral graduates, alumnae is for multiple female grads, and alums is the gender neutral plural. These terms are often used loosely and their strict definitions are in flux.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar/alumni-or-alumnus-usage-guide#:~:text=For an individual graduate, an,is the gender neutral plural.
    One might note that Girton went mixed in 1976 and uses “alumni” for its alums: https://www.girton.cam.ac.uk/alumni-community They’ve also sadly dropped the use of “portress”.

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.

Coo, what's wrong with alumnum for the gender neutral term, or is that for castrated/spayed graduates only?!

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

This is Dua Lipa, a second generation Kosovar Albanian: https://youtu.be/OiC1rgCPmUQ Look at that video: typical behaviour of a Muslim Albanian woman. No evidence of integration.

Oh, God, this is worse. Second generation Greek immigrant, Charles something, not integrating at all: https://youtu.be/18d79QpyAOc
    Due Lipa did a track a few years ago with Calvin Harris. Dreadful. Annoyed the hell out of me whenever I heard it.

In terms of annoyance stakes it’s on a par with Rihannas Only Girl.

Rita Ora is also of Kosovar Albanian heritage. I knew a few when I worked in London. Nice enough chaps.
  • Farooq said:

I'm going to banish myself to ConHome for 2 hours

Relatedly, absolutely FUCK the English language :lol:

You must spend those two hours listening to Radiohead.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.

Coo, what's wrong with alumnum for the gender neutral term, or is that for castrated/spayed graduates only?!
    We say “aluminium” in this country!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,247

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

You're like a supercondensed UnHerd article sometimes. :smile:

But no, that isn't an accurate summary of what I think. What you eat and wear, the music you listen to, your calendar of special days, your religion, your attitude to family, to old age, etc etc, these aren't superficial things imo. Where I expect (or maybe 'hope' is a better word) not just incomers but everyone in the UK (and indeed elsewhere) to play ball is on basics such as racial and gender and LGBT equality (if that's what you have in mind with 'deep cultural issues', which I sense it is).

HYUFD said:

I wouldn’t put any of my cash on it

HYUFD said:

Cambridge tends to do best at producing top scientists and businessmen (and monarchs), Oxford tends to do best at producing top politicians and civil servants, lawyers, journalists and figures from the arts and humanities
    edited September 2023
    Don't think people realise what a mahoosive deal it is, that ChatGPT will - very shortly - respond to pictures and/or voice as part of a natural conversation. Clearly it's not as mahoosive as the rumours of genuine AGI (technically that's a mahoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoosive deal) but it's still pretty mahoo etc

EG if they put ChatGPT in an Alexa Show type device you'll be able to stand in front of it and ask it questions, then it will reply, then you can literally SHOW it the contents of your fridge, and it will advise you what to do with the contents, you could show it photos of potential lovers, getting an opinion, you can discuss your graphic design work (and it will reply with visual improvements you might do), you could show it a face and ask it to do a cartoon version, a Raphael version, or make it animated, and all of this as part of a normal ongoing potentially endless dialogue which can be done in a trillion languages and with access to all the world's information and literature...

It wll be like talking to a weirdly retarded Renaissance-style genius in your kitchen, no one need ever be lonely again

Rob Ford’s latest Swingometer substack post is interesting on English vs. Scottish views on immigration: https://swingometer.substack.com/p/why-are-views-about-immigration-different?publication_id=1186392
    Chris said:

nico679 said:

So that's when we'll have a final decision as to how well Braverman has "assimilated" as regards obeying the law of the land.
    They’ll take some time to make a decision which could take weeks . I followed the two big cases of recent years and so will definitely be following this one .

And there’s the chance that whoever loses could still appeal at the ECHR .

I fear the 2019 Brexit election is going to be replaced by the ECHR . The Tories can’t run on their record so will instead need a deflection from that .
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited September 2023

HYUFD said:

If you look at the headers from the last few months the advice is simple Labour are about to **** the bed.

Andy JS predicted Brexit to a tee and he is adding Reform to Con which gives Labour a lead of just 8. HY has come to a similar conclusion and he is adding in DKs. Many on here are also predicting a much improved economic picture. Do you remember the nightmare of 1992? A little flutter softens the blow for the inevitable 5 more years of Tory s***e. Should Sunak be replaced and it could be game over for Labour.
    edited September 2023
    Taz said:

Chris said:

Scott_xP said:

@hugorifkind

Due Lipa did a track a few years ago with Calvin Harris. Dreadful. Annoyed the hell out of me whenever I heard it.

In terms of annoyance stakes it’s on a par with Rihannas Only Girl.

Rita Ora is also of Kosovar Albanian heritage. I knew a few when I worked in London. Nice enough chaps.
    I didn’t think the track with Calvin Harris was her or his best work, but I love Future Nostalgia.
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

You're like a supercondensed UnHerd article sometimes. :smile:

But no, that isn't an accurate summary of what I think. What you eat and wear, the music you listen to, your calendar of special days, your religion, your attitude to family, to old age, etc etc, these aren't superficial things imo. Where I expect (or maybe 'hope' is a better word) not just incomers but everyone in the UK (and indeed elsewhere) to play ball is on basics such as racial and gender and LGBT equality (if that's what you have in mind with 'deep cultural issues', which I sense it is).
    On migrants and food, I hjappened upon this brilliant tiny skit by Rowan Atkinson this morning. He's satirising Tories yet also treading a fine line with the satire, I doubt he would risk something like this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sorZS5RmDCM
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Cambridge tends to do best at producing top scientists and businessmen (and monarchs), Oxford tends to do best at producing top politicians and civil servants, lawyers, journalists and figures from the arts and humanities
    Cambridge has Pink Floyd, Henry Cow and Clean Bandit, so win on music.
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.

'Alumnum' would never do. It's grammatically correct.
  • HYUFD said:

Oxford tends to do best at producing top politicians

The evidence suggests otherwise
    Not half. At least in recent years.
  • nico679 said:

Chris said:

nico679 said:

They’ll take some time to make a decision which could take weeks . I followed the two big cases of recent years and so will definitely be following this one .

And there’s the chance that whoever loses could still appeal at the ECHR .

I fear the 2019 Brexit election is going to be replaced by the ECHR . The Tories can’t run on their record so will instead need a deflection from that .
    Not a chance.

People have had enough about banging on about Europe. Anyone who tries to run on that would be a complete turnoff.

People are worried about paying their bills more than the ECHR.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,212

HYUFD said:

If you look at the headers from the last few months the advice is simple Labour are about to **** the bed.

Andy JS predicted Brexit to a tee and he is adding Reform to Con which gives Labour a lead of just 8. HY has come to a similar conclusion and he is adding in DKs. Many on here are also predicting a much improved economic picture. Do you remember the nightmare of 1992? A little flutter softens the blow for the inevitable 5 more years of Tory s***e. Should Sunak be replaced and it could be game over for Labour.
    It would be quite amusing if the tories are forced to keep going. They desperately want opposition and one response is to vote for them to stop it happening, just force them to try and keep dealing with the mess they have made, a perpetual hell of their own making, until such point as completely destroy themselves and they get wiped out and politics changes on a more fundamental level.
  • Leon said:

Don't think people realise what a mahoosive deal it is, that ChatGPT will - very shortly - respond to pictures and/or voice as part of a natural conversation. Clearly it's not as mahoosive as the rumours of genuine AGI (technically that's a mahoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoohoosive deal) but it's still pretty mahoo etc

EG if they put ChatGPT in an Alexa Show type device you'll be able to stand in front of it and ask it questions, then it will reply, then you can literally SHOW it the contents of your fridge, and it will advise you what to do with the contents, you could show it photos of potential lovers, getting an opinion, you can discuss your graphic design work (and it will reply with visual improvements you might do), you could show it a face and ask it to do a cartoon version, a Raphael version, or make it animated, and all of this as part of a normal ongoing potentially endless dialogue which can be done in a trillion languages and with access to all the world's information and literature...

It wll be like talking to a weirdly retarded Renaissance-style genius in your kitchen, no one need ever be lonely again

As long as all these devices have a massive red off switch so Dave Bowman doesn't have to climb into the innards and start pulling memory sticks out.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Paging C P Snow.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

It would be quite amusing if the tories are forced to keep going. They desperately want opposition and one response is to vote for them to stop it happening, just force them to try and keep dealing with the mess they have made, a perpetual hell of their own making, until such point as completely destroy themselves and they get wiped out and politics changes on a more fundamental level.
    Which of course was more or less what happened in 1992. By 1997 the Tories were exhausted and begging to be thrown out.

Nigelb said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Oh, you said No Bels....
    alumnae?!

Alumnae is correct ...
    Er, no.

One might note that Girton went mixed in 1976 and uses “alumni” for its alums: https://www.girton.cam.ac.uk/alumni-community They’ve also sadly dropped the use of “portress”.
    That's shite. The founder should have insisted in the statutes.
This discussion has been closed.