Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This will make you even more confused about HS2 – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,188
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Suella Braverman says there are 780 million potential asylum seekers in the world. UN says there are 35 million. Slight difference in numbers...

Braverman goes on about being gay. Only 1.5% of asylum seekers in the UK have put being gay as part of their claim for asylum, and that might not be their only reason.

You're conflating different things. 35 million is the current number of refugees. Suella Braverman's figure is an estimate of the number of people who could claim under the current rules, or our current interpretation of them.
    And everyone in England is eligible under current rules to move to Newcastle.
    There are different pull factors involved, and if you turn up in Newcastle, they won't put you up in a 3-star hotel at taxpayers' expense.
    But otoh the trip is easier. Rather than a 3000 mile trek plus a treacherous small boat across the Med and the Channel, it's a 125 from Kings Cross.
    Pedantic betting, and before Sunil, JJ, et al get upset: not a 125. They moved them to GWR long ago (and I think the last ran a month or so back?).
  • Options

Suella Braverman says there are 780 million potential asylum seekers in the world. UN says there are 35 million. Slight difference in numbers...

Braverman goes on about being gay. Only 1.5% of asylum seekers in the UK have put being gay as part of their claim for asylum, and that might not be their only reason.

You're conflating different things. 35 million is the current number of refugees. Suella Braverman's figure is an estimate of the number of people who could claim under the current rules, or our current interpretation of them.
    It's not an "estimate" at all, it's a scary figure plucked from nowhere.
    That's what an estimate is.
    Not according to my dictionary.
    Obviously you've never used a builder.
  • Options

Maybe it's in the Trussonomic dictionary?

Just heard from a relative whose pension got the Truss/Kamikwazi treatment. I couldn't repeat his views even on PB as I don't want to upset you.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Multiculturalism has failed according to Braverman failing to see the irony of her argument given she’s from immigrant parents !

I don't see the irony. She appears to be someone who has embraced British culture.
    So she’s saying that multiculturalism has failed but on the other hand she’s portraying herself as showing it hasn’t .
    No. She is demonstrating assimilation, not mutilculturalism.
    Not sure these are mutually exclusive. Can a person not assimilate on the essentials (eg language and law) yet maintain some of their (other) cultural identity? Surely they can. If not it implies we're an intolerant mono kind of a place. Or that we want to be. That sounds a pretty grim prospect to me. I've always taken the 'multicultural society' to be just a fact of modern life. I'm quite suspicious of the message that it's
    'failed'. When I hear this I can't help wondering what exactly is meant. What has failed? The 'experiment' of modern life?
    There's healthy assimilation, and less healthy over-compensation, sometimes among people who may have some other issues in some place of their background, identity/ and or upbringing, and personal psychology.

From the way they conduct themselves, and their general style, I would say Priti and Suella are much more likely to have some connections with the latter group.
    That's quite a racist perspective, well done.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited September 2023

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Multiculturalism has failed according to Braverman failing to see the irony of her argument given she’s from immigrant parents !

I don't see the irony. She appears to be someone who has embraced British culture.
    So she’s saying that multiculturalism has failed but on the other hand she’s portraying herself as showing it hasn’t .
    Not sure these are mutually exclusive. Can a person not assimilate on the essentials (eg language and law) yet maintain some of their (other) cultural identity? Surely they can. If not it implies we're an intolerant mono kind of a place. Or that we want to be. That sounds a pretty grim prospect to me. I've always taken the 'multicultural society' to be just a fact of modern life. I'm quite suspicious of the message that it's
    'failed'. When I hear this I can't help wondering what exactly is meant. What has failed? The 'experiment' of modern life?
    There's healthy assimilation, and less healthy over-compensation, sometimes among people who may have some other issues in some place of their background, identity/ and or upbringing, and personal psychology.

From the way they conduct themselves, and their general style, I would say Priti and Suella are much more likely to have some connections with the latter group.
    That's quite a racist perspective, well done.
    It really isn't. There are plenty of Asian Tories who don't have this extreme over-compensating factor. Baroness Warsi was also always one, for instance, even when she was fully on board with the Tories, and not complaining about Islamophobia in their ranks.

Munira Mirza was another, much as I disliked her Brexit-revolutionarism.
  • Options
    This thread is still ending north of Euston (and south of Manc, never mind Glasgow).
  • Options

Isn't a builder's estimate a number plucked from the air to sound less scary?

See Blair in 2003(?)
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 828
    kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

More to the point, why have the Tories persisted with this "failed" model for the past 13 years (and indeed, theoretically, remain in favour)?

It was one thing for Boris to present himself as being in opposition to his own party in the run-up to hist 2019 election as he personally had spent a year on the backbenches, from where he had opposed May's policies.

But it's quite another for a current Secretary of State to slam her own government and her own department's current policy like this.

Is this now to become the government's policy? If so, why wasn't parliament informed of the change? If not, will Braverman be resigning to campaign in favour of the change?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,539

kinabalu said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

There's something patronising about reducing other people's cultural identity to the things that are compatible with your own. When it comes to things like patriarchal values, I'm sure you'd be for assimilation.
    I don't see anything patronising in what I said there. Patriarchal attitudes should be resisted and argued against wherever they are and whoever holds them. One of the world's top evils, imo, the oppression of women.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,788
    edited September 2023

NEW THREAD

• Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

And everyone in England is eligible under current rules to move to Newcastle.
    People in Scotland massing at the border waiting to be allowed to live there. Sunderland and Middlesbro also top targets.

I've been smuggling people across the Tweed for a few months now. Sure, one or two boats have sunk along the way, but please don't worry, it's not serious: they all paid me in advance.
    It's been two months since I paid LNER to smuggle me into Edinburgh to ride the new tram extension, so extortionate! And that was BEFORE they abolished return fares.
    Return fares? Why would you ever want to leave?
    What was the Fry/Laurie sketch where they play the WWII prisoner and camp commandant? At the end the prisoner has helped everyone else to escape and replaced them with sandbag dummies. The commandant points out his soldiers are all sandbag dummies as well.
    I think that describes a Ripping Yarn's episode "Escape From Stalag Luft 112B"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdC2aMIXvDw
This discussion has been closed.