Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Tories are having a bad September in the polls – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,769
edited October 2023 in General
imageThe Tories are having a bad September in the polls – politicalbetting.com

Over the past week also we have seen some fairly poor polls for the Conservatives. Quite why this is the case is hard to fathom but as each month goes by we are closer to the general election whenever Sunak decides to call it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,103
    Let's see if Sunak's can kicking speech has improved this or made things worse. Whatever it was it felt like an event.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,290
    edited September 2023
    Seen Sunak's new video released today. Where he announces he's abolishing seven bins and meat tax.

He's going full Johnson. Blatant lies, gambling that the voting public is thick.

Will it work? I think much depends on how journalists, and opposition, deal with it. As Johnson and Trump showed it can be very difficult dealing with a liar if they really double down on it.
  • Options
    Rishi "son-in-law of an Indian oligarch" Sunak :lol:
  • Options
    TimS said:

Seen Sunak's new video released today. Where he announces he's abolishing seven bins and meat tax.

He's going full Johnson. Blatant lies, gambling that the voting public is thick.

Will it work? I think much depends on how journalists, and opposition, deal with it. As Johnson and Trump showed it can be very difficult dealing with a liar if they really double down on it.

Those policies haven't been plucked from thin air but are actively promoted by some in global think tank circles as essential measures to reach net zero.

He wants to make the relationship between Starmer and the likes of the Tony Blair Institute a political issue.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,599

TimS said:

Those policies haven't been plucked from thin air but are actively promoted by some in global think tank circles as essential measures to reach net zero.

He wants to make the relationship between Starmer and the likes of the Tony Blair Institute a political issue.
    Does the latest incarnation of 'William Glenn' support the delay?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,801
    TimS said:

The Telegraph is hardly Fox News.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,919
    TimS said:

The really poor aspect is that these are pre-planned lies. They are though weak and probably forgivable lies.

Sunak's announcement contained nothing, but there may be an acknowledgement of economic reality behind it which could be a good thing.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,842
    fpt
    viewcode said:

darkage said:

Leon said:
    This correspondence is quite astonishing. It should be seen as a moment of national humiliation. A role reversal where an obscure upstart social media channel becomes the guardian of liberal democratic values, under assault from the 'mother of all parliaments' that has debased itself to such a degree that it has become a participant in a lynch mob.

It is creating political space for a Trump style protest, observing all this unfold, I would consider supporting it.

Rumble is a Canadian company with an American base in Florida. YouTube is an American company quartered in California. Twitter is currently based in San Francisco but by the time Musk is finished with it it'll be based in Texas or China. We are having this conversation on Vanilla Forums: Vanilla is a Canadian company in Quebec.

You want to join a Trump-style protest to fight for a Canadian company against an American company about what the American company wants to say.

We are all getting aereated by social media companies who are vastly outside our control but we still think we have some influence over the process
    @viewcode This isn't my point. It is about Parliament. It is no longer the defender of the rule of law and due process. The judgement of establishment politicians on this issue is so bad they have allowed themselves to get whipped up in to a lynch mob and just abuse whatever status their position affords them to try and get brownie points with the mob. This seems to me to be symptomatic of a very rapid decline in politics which people are either ignorant of or in denial over. It leads me to the position where - if there is some alternative - it is worth trying. I think some variation of this chain of thought is how people in the US end up supporting Trump... 50% according to some recent polls.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,675
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

“Who was going to introduce all of these taxes”?

“The b@stard Gvt. The one elected in 2019, or possibly 2010, or maybe 2015. The Chancellor in 2021 told me he was going to do it. Right slippery customer, he was. Vote for me, I want change”.
  • Options
    Krishnan Guru-Murthy Says Government Using Networks Like GB News As “Platform” To Avoid Scrutiny
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/other/krishnan-guru-murthy-says-gov-t-using-networks-like-gb-news-as-platform-to-avoid-scrutiny-rts-cambridge/ar-AA1h2YSc
  • Options
    The car industry was not universally negative wrt Sunak's plans - Stellantis and Ford expressed disappointment whereas Toyota and JLR were more positive.
  • Options

TimS said:

They are very much lies, every bit as much as if Starmer got into office and announced he was cancelling the reintroduction of the death penalty, and ditching plans to privatise the NHS. I mean that's the level here.

Other things promoted by right wing think tanks with cosy relationships with the Tories include cutting benefits almost to zero, removing almost all environmental regulations from industry, ceasing all aid to Ukraine, bringing back military service, bringing back corporal punishment and so on.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The car industry was not universally negative wrt Sunak's plans - Stellantis and Ford expressed disappointment whereas Toyota and JLR were more positive.

I wonder which ones have the most developed all EV slate, good to go for 2030?
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

They are very much lies, every bit as much as if Starmer got into office and announced he was cancelling the reintroduction of the death penalty, and ditching plans to privatise the NHS. I mean that's the level here.

Other things promoted by right wing think tanks with cosy relationships with the Tories include cutting benefits almost to zero, removing almost all environmental regulations from industry, ceasing all aid to Ukraine, bringing back military service, bringing back corporal punishment and so on.
    Careful. Some on here think that’s 50% of a sensible manifesto.
  • Options

Krishnan Guru-Murthy Says Government Using Networks Like GB News As “Platform” To Avoid Scrutiny
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/other/krishnan-guru-murthy-says-gov-t-using-networks-like-gb-news-as-platform-to-avoid-scrutiny-rts-cambridge/ar-AA1h2YSc

The only GB News presenter I have time for is Mark Dolan, if only for his previous incarnation as host of C4 prank show "Balls of Steel".
    Bev Turner looks OK
    Michelle Dewberry can't pronounce her "o's" properly
    Rees-Mogg too plummy
    Farage entertaining at times
    Wootton looks creepy!
  • Options
    biggles said:

Pulpstar said:

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-unveils-full-global-electric-vehicle-line-up/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthrough-electric-cars
  • Options

TimS said:

For boilers, yes, and for cars I don't think it makes much difference. If the aim of the previous policy was to encourage manufacturing in the UK then it would only have worked if it were accompanied by import restrictions.

For heating, it makes more sense to focus on improving the quality of the housing stock because retrofitting heat pumps isn't always sensible.
  • Options

TimS said:

For boilers, yes, and for cars I don't think it makes much difference. If the aim of the previous policy was to encourage manufacturing in the UK then it would only have worked if it were accompanied by import restrictions.

For heating, it makes more sense to focus on improving the quality of the housing stock because retrofitting heat pumps isn't always sensible.
    Or cheap!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,489

That's more than a bit rich, coming from the guy at Channel 4 News, otherwise known as the Broadcasting Wing of the Labour Party
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

A bit like Labour cancelling the privatisation of the NHS, was was a staple of their campaigns long before the supposed era of populism.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,279
    TimS said:

TimS said:

"ditching plans to privatise the NHS" - that's been in every Labour election campaign since I can remember.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

Boris used to beat Sir Keir on personality by 40pts

In this weeks IPSOS poll, Sunak & Starmer were tied at 21-21

To be able to lie and be believed, or to put it another way, to sell a policy, you need to be a charmer, and the Tories don’t have one anymore
  • Options
    I see Boats Week really did move the polls.
  • Options
    FPT
    Farooq said:

So do I have this right... India maybe assassinated a Canadian citizen in Canada?
    This is pretty bad stuff. We rightly condemned Putin for doing similar. Is Modi a bit out of control?

The Indian foreign ministry says that it's Canada that should worry about its international reputation...

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2265637955800
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,756
    Pulpstar said:

biggles said:

Pulpstar said:

https://mag.toyota.co.uk/toyota-unveils-full-global-electric-vehicle-line-up/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthrough-electric-cars
    Yes, but somewhat behind at present, due to the hydrogen bet. They could do with a few more years, to catch up. Not that they'll get that really, unless the others do, as it were, take their foot off the gas :wink:
  • Options
    TimS said:

As I said earlier we have 7 bins from the local authority

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Cardboard and glass - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    Garden waste (2) - fortnightly - (pay extra £52 pa)
  • Options
    Labour need to realise this is going to get dirty. Get Starmer on the telly saying if Labour are elected they will scrap the plan to remove the right to paid holiday for employees.

The Lib Dems can tackle the blue wall: get Davey on to announce that Lib Dem MPs in the SE would reverse the new Tory government policy to sell the green belt to Barratt homes.
  • Options
    FPT thread(s)

No optical illusion is better than this classic. The two squares with the red dot are the same colour.
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

A bit like Labour cancelling the privatisation of the NHS, was was a staple of their campaigns long before the supposed era of populism.

:innocent:

• Options

I don't believe the public is even listening any more. The Tories could come up with a genuinely brilliant policy and everyone would shrug and say "meh, they won't actually do it", or "pff, it's a lie", or "whatever, just go"

They are written off, psychologically. Tough place to be. But they can blame years of over-promising and under-delivering, in the end that gets VERY stale
  • Options
    FPT

Spread on how many of them have connections to the Tory party?

There wouldn't be much point in them having connections with the Labour Party would there?
    Pretty sure the Labour Party has been accused of being in the pocket of the Kremlin throughout its long history (which mostly consists of them being in opposition). Some of the time it might even have been true.
    Tories need to be paid for, Labour comrades come free of charge.
    Mind you one of the most pitiful bouts of muck slinging in recent years was the suggestion that Michael Foot was in the pay of the Soviet Union. Total coincidence it was done when Foot was safely dead and therefore unable to sue.
    I am fairly certain it happened when he was alive and he was awarded damages.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/sunday-times-pays-foot-damages-over-kgb-claim-1590325.html
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,774

FPT thread(s)

No optical illusion is better than this classic. The two squares with the red dot are the same colour.

Is it necessary to have the blue cylinder to make it work?
  • Options

FPT

Farooq said:

So do I have this right... India maybe assassinated a Canadian citizen in Canada?
    This is pretty bad stuff. We rightly condemned Putin for doing similar. Is Modi a bit out of control?

The Indian foreign ministry says that it's Canada that should worry about its international reputation...

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2265637955800
    Canada isn't occupying Kashmir, nor does it have a Caste System.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,890
    edited September 2023
    Apparently Murdoch isn't a member of the elite, and believes in telling the truth

"*Murdoch hits out at 'elites' in letter*

More now from Rupert Murdoch's resignation letter to staff.

In it, he warned that "the battle for the freedom of speech and, ultimately, the freedom of thought, has never been more intense".
    His father, who owned newspapers in Australia that helped launch Murdoch's media empire, "firmly believed in freedom", he says, adding that his successor Lachlan "is absolutely committed to the cause".
    "Self-serving bureaucracies are seeking to silence those who would question their provenance and purpose.
    Elites have open contempt for those who are not members of their rarefied class," he says.
    "Most of the media is in cahoots with those elites, peddling political narratives rather than pursuing the truth."
    Murdoch goes on to says that in his new role he will be an active member of the companies' "communities", and will watch broadcasts with a critical eye and read news reports with interest.
    "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-66881282
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,756

Enhancing global warming could be a good way to stop the small boats. Crossing the 20 mile Channel in a dinghy is crazy enough, but you'd have to be really nuts to try it when the nearest above sea level land in France and England is 200 miles apart! :wink:
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,603
    Andy_JS said:

FPT thread(s)

To give a visually credible reason for the shadow, I expect. So the brain knows what to expect.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485
    Curse of the new thread:
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Why is Caroline Dineage MP trending in the US overnight?

I’m not sure what to think of this one, apparently genuine letter written to Rumble’s CEO in the US, from the head of the Culture, Media, and Sport Committee, coming very close to suggesting that Rumble should be demonetising Russell Brand - not for anything he’s posted on their site, but just because he’s a bad person.

The Rumble CEO published the letter, and a quite forthright reply about freedom of speech.

https://x.com/rumblevideo/status/1704584929026216118?s=61

Comments underneath very supportive of Rumble.

It's not just the alt-right. Freedom of speech matters to Americans, whereas here it is just a slogan wheeled out from time to time when convenient in the land of draconian libel laws, super-injunctions and now this. First Amendment and all that.
    Oh indeed, freedom of speech is quite literally written in their Constitution, and is taken much more seriously over there by everyone.

There’s a running theme on this subject through a lot of American discussion, mainly but not exclusively on the right and among libertarians, that social media platforms are trying to censor certain viewpoints ahead of the election next year.

Youtube especially is in the firing line, with their seemingly arbitrary demonetisation, shadow banning, and banning of accounts with little recourse. It was said to be one of the reasons behind Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter, and documents released by that company showed conversations with governments - including the US government - around certain specific accounts, as Rumble have released today.

Rumble was deliberately set up to be resistant to censorship, hosting their own servers and payment processing, and designed as web-first rather than app-first. Freedom of speech is their philosophy.

Obviously, it goes without saying that the likes of Russell Brand and Andrew Tate are horrible human beings, but that doesn’t mean they can’t earn a living while they still have their liberty.
    I'm going to repeat a comment that got bugger all attention a few threads ago, but which is quite important:

It's in YouTube's financial interest to demonetize videos. They have a 6 adverts per hour of viewing policy. If you watch a demonetized video as part of your viewing habits, YouTube will still aim to show you 6 videos per hour. It's only that they won't be sharing the revenue with Russell Brand or with a history show maker that has slightly gory pictures or (as happened to me) where the conclude that you borrowed some music from an artist. (In the last case, YouTube strips me of the 0.1 cent I'd get for a view for my share of advertising so they can pay REM 0.01c for the streamed music.)

There is a simple solution to this problem; YouTube should be required to allow advertisers to publish next to "demonetized" videos. (And I would categorize demonetization as being due to one of a dozen easy to understand criteria.)

As there will be less competition for these placements, the revenue earned from them will be smaller than if you're next to a Mark Rober video. But it would mean that Google's power would be meaningfully reduced. Indeed, the power would move almost entirely to advertisers, and it would be their choice, not that platform's.

Given YouTube's near monopoly provision of video streaming, there is no reason why this could not be enforced by competition authorities in the US, UK and EU.
  • Options

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    And Sunak's announcement means what? You will no longer have 7 bins? Of course not: the council have decided that's what they want to do so that's what they'll keep doing.

Don't fall for this shit. The law as crafted proposes that waste be separated into 7 streams unless councils decide they are able to manage it in mixed streams, which of course most can.

So I have 4 bins - mixed recycling, waste, food caddy, and optional garden waste - and that's what I will keep having.

Or do you think the government should force councils to mix it up all together and dump it off the Lleyn Peninsula?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,651
    Leon said:

That's more than a bit rich, coming from the guy at Channel 4 News, otherwise known as the Broadcasting Wing of the Labour Party
    Such a quality gap, though, between Ch4 and GBnews. Perhaps indicative of the one generally between left and right.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Enhancing global warming could be a good way to stop the small boats. Crossing the 20 mile Channel in a dinghy is crazy enough, but you'd have to be really nuts to try it when the nearest above sea level land in France and England is 200 miles apart! :wink:
    Short term decisions for a hotter future.
  • Options
    Steady as she goes autumn statement and tax cut in the spring budget; election in May I think.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,603

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    But that's not quite fair. You asked for the second garden bin - and, of course, for the first one as well.

Interestingly we have a different combination of five bins in all (including one garden bin) and collections, but it seems to work well enough - it's not at all often we have an overload in any bin and usually that's because of a clearout or similar.
  • Options
    The XL Bully story is a classic example of Tory over-promising

Suella and then Sunak waded in with big emotional promises. These dogs will be banned. We've had enough. This ends NOW

And then it dribbles away and it's "around the end of the year" and "all rather complicated"

Meanwhile people (and animals) are still suffering

"Woman suffers facial injuries saving two dogs from XL bully attack
    Two friends tried to fight off the huge dogs, and thought their pets were going to die"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-face-mauled-trying-save-30987318?_ga=2.232744287.1966861547.1695309171-1132188263.1691503356
  • Options

FPT

There wouldn't be much point in them having connections with the Labour Party would there?
    Pretty sure the Labour Party has been accused of being in the pocket of the Kremlin throughout its long history (which mostly consists of them being in opposition). Some of the time it might even have been true.
    Mind you one of the most pitiful bouts of muck slinging in recent years was the suggestion that Michael Foot was in the pay of the Soviet Union. Total coincidence it was done when Foot was safely dead and therefore unable to sue.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/sunday-times-pays-foot-damages-over-kgb-claim-1590325.html
    It was sometimes tricky to tell.

*Said with nothing but affection for the gentleman.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Steady as she goes autumn statement and tax cut in the spring budget; election in May I think.

I expect there to be quite a lot in there on business taxation in the autumn statement including the long promised report back on the UK's response to the US IRA, but very little on personal taxes, keeping powder dry for next spring.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,660
    Given no party has won a general election after 13 years in power in the last 100 years it is not that surprising the Tories are likely to lose next year. However Sunak has increased the Tory voteshare from that Truss left it at, inflation is starting to fall, the economy grow and interest rates stabilise so there is plenty of time yet to st least squeeze DKs
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    And Sunak's announcement means what? You will no longer have 7 bins? Of course not: the council have decided that's what they want to do so that's what they'll keep doing.

Don't fall for this shit. The law as crafted proposes that waste be separated into 7 streams unless councils decide they are able to manage it in mixed streams, which of course most can.

So I have 4 bins - mixed recycling, waste, food caddy, and optional garden waste - and that's what I will keep having.

Or do you think the government should force councils to mix it up all together and dump it off the Lleyn Peninsula?
    I find it amusing at how rattled many are over Sunak's announcement yesterday, and the irony of some now saying Johnson was to be congratulated on his green policies when the same people were demanding his resignation (correctly)

I do not expect much change in the polls but certainty the starting gun has been fired on the next GE and who knows where this goes

And by the way it is the Llyn Peninsular
  • Options

The only GB News presenter I have time for is Mark Dolan, if only for his previous incarnation as host of C4 prank show "Balls of Steel".
    Bev Turner looks OK
    Rees-Mogg too plummy
    Wootton looks creepy!
    Wootton IS creepy!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

However Sunak has increased the Tory voteshare from that Truss left it at

Only slightly!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Suella and then Sunak waded in with big emotional promises. These dogs will be banned. We've had enough. This ends NOW

And then it dribbles away and it's "around the end of the year" and "all rather complicated"

Two friends tried to fight off the huge dogs, and thought their pets were going to die"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/woman-face-mauled-trying-save-30987318?_ga=2.232744287.1966861547.1695309171-1132188263.1691503356

Shoot every dog in the country or if you want to be really humane round up every dog in the country and sell them to the Koreans.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,399
    rcs1000 said:

Curse of the new thread:

[Snip]

You should have a word with the mods about that.
  • Options
    Just seen this on an envelope

How long ago did we celebrate natural gas on a stamp?

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,722
    edited September 2023
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    But that's not quite fair. You asked for the second garden bin - and, of course, for the first one as well.

Interestingly we have a different combination of five bins in all (including one garden bin) and collections, but it seems to work well enough - it's not at all often we have an overload in any bin and usually that's because of a clearout or similar.
    I have no problem with our waste disposal arrangements
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Such a quality gap, though, between Ch4 and GBnews. Perhaps indicative of the one generally between left and right.
    Heh. I don’t see a quality gap at all. Two cheeks. Same arse.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,585
    edited September 2023

FPT

Ah, even worse, the buggers had a second go when they knew he couldn’t sue!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/15/labour-figures-slam-claim-that-michael-foot-was-paid-by-soviets
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Apparently Murdoch isn't a member of the elite, and believes in telling the truth

In it, he warned that "the battle for the freedom of speech and, ultimately, the freedom of thought, has never been more intense".
    His father, who owned newspapers in Australia that helped launch Murdoch's media empire, "firmly believed in freedom", he says, adding that his successor Lachlan "is absolutely committed to the cause".
    "Self-serving bureaucracies are seeking to silence those who would question their provenance and purpose.
    Elites have open contempt for those who are not members of their rarefied class," he says.
    "Most of the media is in cahoots with those elites, peddling political narratives rather than pursuing the truth."
    Murdoch goes on to says that in his new role he will be an active member of the companies' "communities", and will watch broadcasts with a critical eye and read news reports with interest.
    "

The self-delusion is immense.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,458
    rcs1000 said:

...I'm going to repeat a comment that got bugger all attention a few threads ago...

I noticed it!

:)

• Options
    CatMan said:

"

Rupert is the biggest cuck in the world.

How many millions did he have to pay out for Fox repeating Trump’s election lies?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nah. Last possible moment. “Something will turn up”.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

Shoot every dog in the country or if you want to be really humane round up every dog in the country and sell them to the Koreans.
    I'd institute a strict lead rule for any dog over 20 kilos. It'd be unfortunate for some harmless fat old retrievers and labs but thems the breaks.
    Mind you the existing law around microchips could be enforced
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/compulsory-dog-microchipping-comes-into-effect
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,891
    edited September 2023

Leon said:

Dog curry, yummy!*

(* only kidding, I happen to be a vegetarian :lol: )
  • Options

Bev Turner looks OK
    Rees-Mogg too plummy
    Wootton looks creepy!
    It's all rather tawdry. Although like many tawdry things it can be hard to stop looking at it once you start. If you find yourself in that position what you have to do is imagine explaining yourself to someone you admire. That makes you change channels and watch something else.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

I'd institute a strict lead rule for any dog over 20 kilos. It'd be unfortunate for some harmless fat old retrievers and labs but thems the breaks.
    All dogs to be muzzled in public as well.
  • Options

How many centuries ago was postage a mere 11p :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,485

We should celebrate natural gas! It's clean, efficient, abundant, (usually) cheap and very good at providing intermittent power.

Until renewables are so abundant, and our energy storage incredibly bountiful, it is the perfect way to generate electricity. (And, for that matter, good scrambled eggs.)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Bev Turner looks OK
    Rees-Mogg too plummy
    Wootton looks creepy!
    It's all rather tawdry. Although like many tawdry things it can be hard to stop looking at it once you start. If you find yourself in that position what you have to do is imagine explaining yourself to someone you admire. That makes you change channels and watch something else.
    I can honestly say I do not watch GB news and have no intention to do so
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Given no party has won a general election after 13 years in power in the last 100 year

1992?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,453
    CatMan said:

"

No, it seems that the true elites are not billionaire media moguls who change nationality as often as their underpants, but are provincial doctors in unfashionable cities.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

Labour need to realise this is going to get dirty. Get Starmer on the telly saying if Labour are elected they will scrap the plan to remove the right to paid holiday for employees.

The Lib Dems can tackle the blue wall: get Davey on to announce that Lib Dem MPs in the SE would reverse the new Tory government policy to sell the green belt to Barratt homes.

If anything Sunak and Gove have abandoned the housing targets Johnson and Truss had.

Indeed if Starmer does become PM after the next general election and pushes through his plans to expand development on the green belt there may well be an alliance between southern Tory and LD MPs against it
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month

I find it amusing at how rattled many are over Sunak's announcement yesterday, and the irony of some now saying Johnson was to be congratulated on his green policies when the same people were demanding his resignation (correctly)

I do not expect much change in the polls but certainty the starting gun has been fired on the next GE and who knows where this goes

Isn't it Llyn if you have one of those fancy ys with a circumflex on it, and Lleyn if you don't (like Muller with an umlaut vs Mueller if not)?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,890

Bev Turner looks OK
    Rees-Mogg too plummy
    Wootton looks creepy!
    Wootton IS creepy!
    Speaking of Wootton...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/sep/21/gb-news-will-not-investigate-claims-against-presenter-dan-wootton

"GB News has said it will not investigate claims of inappropriate behaviour made against star presenter Dan Wootton because none of the accusations relate to his work for the channel."

Errr, ok then :confused:
  • Options

Leon said:

Rather brilliantly, the XL Bully-loving people have organised a special Bully XL Walk in Birmingham, which is really "freindly" (sic), and they've told everyone to bring as many kids as possible and as many dogs as possible!

.... except that now they've realised this is really dangerous and the dogs might attack the kids (as pointed out online) so the special Bully XL dogwalk is now saying "Bully dogs are not allowed" on the special Bully dog walk designed to show how gentle Bully dogs are

No joke:

https://x.com/pursuitofprog/status/1704806072832114750?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

If anything Sunak and Gove have abandoned the housing targets Johnson and Truss had.

Indeed if Starmer does become PM after the next general election and pushes through his plans to expand development on the green belt there may well be an alliance between southern Tory and LD MPs against it
    That's besides the point. I am suggesting they start lying.
  • Options
    darkage said:

fpt

viewcode said:

darkage said:

Leon said:
    This correspondence is quite astonishing. It should be seen as a moment of national humiliation. A role reversal where an obscure upstart social media channel becomes the guardian of liberal democratic values, under assault from the 'mother of all parliaments' that has debased itself to such a degree that it has become a participant in a lynch mob.

It is creating political space for a Trump style protest, observing all this unfold, I would consider supporting it.

Rumble is a Canadian company with an American base in Florida. YouTube is an American company quartered in California. Twitter is currently based in San Francisco but by the time Musk is finished with it it'll be based in Texas or China. We are having this conversation on Vanilla Forums: Vanilla is a Canadian company in Quebec.

You want to join a Trump-style protest to fight for a Canadian company against an American company about what the American company wants to say.

We are all getting aereated by social media companies who are vastly outside our control but we still think we have some influence over the process
    @viewcode This isn't my point. It is about Parliament. It is no longer the defender of the rule of law and due process. The judgement of establishment politicians on this issue is so bad they have allowed themselves to get whipped up in to a lynch mob and just abuse whatever status their position affords them to try and get brownie points with the mob. This seems to me to be symptomatic of a very rapid decline in politics which people are either ignorant of or in denial over. It leads me to the position where - if there is some alternative - it is worth trying. I think some variation of this chain of thought is how people in the US end up supporting Trump... 50% according to some recent polls.
    50% of Trump's supporters are driven by reverence for the rule of law and due process?
  • Options

CatMan said:

"

Rupert is the biggest cuck in the world.

How many millions did he have to pay out for Fox repeating Trump’s election lies?
    Just the $787.5m... and that was just to Dominion, with the Smartmatic case still outstanding, I believe.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

FPT thread(s)

Good question. The cylinder doesn't have to blue (see this other example, where it's green https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion#/media/File:Checker_shadow_illusion.svg).

But I think you do have to have a vertical object depicted so the brain is expecting it to cast shade.
  • Options
    £15bn of public assets sold by English councils since 2010 amid budget shortfalls
    An estimated 75,000 assets including community centres, libraries and swimming pools have been sold, thinktank says
    A change in the law in 2016 meant councils no longer had to buy new public assets with money made from selling them and instead could use the money to make up for shortfalls in funding.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/21/15bn-of-public-assets-sold-by-english-councils-since-2010-amid-budget-shortfalls

Selling off the family silver, as Macmillan warned.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month

Isn't it Llyn if you have one of those fancy ys with a circumflex on it, and Lleyn if you don't (like Muller with an umlaut vs Mueller if not)?
    Commonly known as Llyn with or without the circumflex

I spent all my young childhood holidays there in the 1950s as my Aunt and Uncle ran the Warren (as tenants) and long before it became a millionaires paradise
  • Options
    I'm still of the opinion that Lab will garner a smallish majority of no more than 35-40, though there is a distinct possibility of them requiring minority party support to form a govt; this most likely coming from the Libs who will do moderately well also. I can see them on 30 seats (possibly more if the "blue wall" really begins to collapse). Whatever happens, it'll be one of the more interesting elections to watch of recent years, given the rollercoaster we've all been on in recent years.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,965
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Rather brilliantly, the XL Bully-loving people have organised a special Bully XL Walk in Birmingham, which is really "freindly" (sic), and they've told everyone to bring as many kids as possible and as many dogs as possible!

.... except that now they've realised this is really dangerous and the dogs might attack the kids (as pointed out online) so the special Bully XL dogwalk is now saying "Bully dogs are not allowed" on the special Bully dog walk designed to show how gentle Bully dogs are

No joke:

Come friendly dogs and walk through Brum...
  • Options
    "The casual authoritarianism of Caroline Dinenage
    Why is the head of parliament’s culture committee calling on tech firms to unperson Russell Brand?
    Laurie Wastell"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/09/21/the-casual-authoritarianism-of-caroline-dinenage/
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,919

Royal Mail - It was great. The workers broke it though, and that was entirely the dismal influence of the unions.

That decline may have been inevitable, and nobody would ever re-invent such a spectacular wheel.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Pulpstar said:

Leon said:

All dogs to be muzzled in public as well.
    I think it was David Herdson on the previous thread who raised the point about government needing to win hearts and minds for new measures. A blanket requirement for leads and muzzling would be ignored on a grand scale.

For a start it's disproportionate: it would be like banning all cars because some minute percentage of cars are involved in hit and run deaths.

For the record, I support the ban on dangerous dogs, I support extending that to all dogs bred for fighting or from fighting breeds, and I support compulsory dog licensing and insurance.

(PS Trying to remember who the awful PM who did away with dog licences was.)
  • Options
    edited September 2023

HYUFD said:

Given no party has won a general election after 13 years in power in the last 100 year

1992?

At not after 13 years in power and the Tories were behind in most polls then too. Albeit Starmer polled better as preferred PM than Kinnock
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Why is the head of parliament’s culture committee calling on tech firms to unperson Russell Brand?
    Laurie Wastell"

https://www.spiked-online.com/2023/09/21/the-casual-authoritarianism-of-caroline-dinenage/

She's not even a Minister - not sure she'll even get support from the Culture Committee.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

According to this page, an ordinary first or second class stamp was never 11 pence. First class went from 10p to 12p on 4th February 1980, and second class went from 10p to 11.5 pence on 26th January 1981. So it must have been a heavier letter.

https://www.gbps.org.uk/information/rates/inland/letters-1968-2006.php
  • Options

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month

We have three. One more than my Mum!

• Options
    edited September 2023

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    7 is far too many if they're the large wheelie bin type. We have 3 plus a smallish bag thing for paper recycling.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Laurie Wastell"

She's not even a Minister - not sure she'll even get support from the Culture Committee.
    I'd missed the fact she wasn't even a minister, just assumed she was either the SoS (They change so fast these days) or a junior minister within culture.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,579
    Off topic, but I am semi-serious when I repeat this suggestion: If those dogs are really that good fighters, why aren't you sending them to Ukraine?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,942

The principal scrutiny of government is called the House of Commons and its select committees. Government is not remotely accountable to the media. If the media reported properly on parliament and its committees it would help.

BTW the PM was interviewed on R4 Today this morning (I think). I didn't listen to it as generally they are not good enough at framing the questions or ensuring there is an answer. This is a worse state of affairs than government not appearing at all. The BBC would do well to stop bothering to interview people who characteristically evade questioning.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

That's besides the point. I am suggesting they start lying.
    “Start”? They are politicians….
  • Options

I'm still of the opinion that Lab will garner a smallish majority of no more than 35-40, though there is a distinct possibility of them requiring minority party support to form a govt; this most likely coming from the Libs who will do moderately well also. I can see them on 30 seats (possibly more if the "blue wall" really begins to collapse). Whatever happens, it'll be one of the more interesting elections to watch of recent years, given the rollercoaster we've all been on in recent years.

It may well be Labour win most seats in England but fall short of a majority but win a UK majority thanks to gains from the SNP
  • Options

£15bn of public assets sold by English councils since 2010 amid budget shortfalls
    An estimated 75,000 assets including community centres, libraries and swimming pools have been sold, thinktank says
    A change in the law in 2016 meant councils no longer had to buy new public assets with money made from selling them and instead could use the money to make up for shortfalls in funding.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/sep/21/15bn-of-public-assets-sold-by-english-councils-since-2010-amid-budget-shortfalls

Selling off the family silver, as Macmillan warned.

That might be worrying, but rather annoyingly the article omits to mention how much of that £15bn was in fact used to plug holes in revenue budgets, and how much was just replacement (if you sell a community centre to move to a better site, that isn't a problem, whereas selling it because you're funding a deficit is).

It does irritate me a bit when an article misses the crucial point. I suspect there is a genuine issue there, but the Guardian simply haven't provided the key bit of information needed to judge that, instead opting for a large but fundamentally pretty meaningless number.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It may well be Labour win most seats in England but fall short of a majority but win a UK majority thanks to gains from the SNP
    Starmer’s worst nightmare.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Bev Turner looks OK
    Rees-Mogg too plummy
    Wootton looks creepy!
    I can honestly say I do not watch GB news and have no intention to do so
    Well that's a very solid call. Eg Lozza Fox has his own show which he always starts with a 'monologue'. That's him talking direct to camera for about 5 minutes on something or other, giving his take on it basically. It's a long 5 minutes.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Paper waste - weekly
    Plastic - weekly
    Food - weekly
    Main Bin - once a month
    7 is far too many if they're the large wheelie bin type. We have 3 plus a smallish bag thing for paper recycling.
    Recycling would be a lot easier if we chucked it all in the same bin and had it sorted at the recycling centre. It would also end complaints about householders separating waste only to see the council mixing it all up again.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No joke:

Come friendly dogs and walk through Brum...
    Dr Lawrence Newport deserves far more than his 2,536 followers. He did an excellent Youtube vid a while back on the effective banning of onshore wind in the UK.
This discussion has been closed.