Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Making An Offer They Cannot Refuse? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Selebian said:

TOPPING said:

Well done Rishi on pushing back those measures, they were always unattainable and performative and it was clear as day that this was the case.

As interestingly, where does Lab go with it. Vote for us to pay thousands more for boilers, house insulation, and cars.

This is at the intersection of saving the planet and saving for a new Playstation and I'm pretty sure I know which will win.

If Starmer follows Sunak on this, then there really is no point in Labour and I'll join BJO!

(As others have posted, I'm not sure Sunak follows through on this - this kite may not fly)
    Sir Keir may be wise not to go too mad about it - Blair has warned of going to big on Net Zero

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2023/07/28/tony-blair-warns-public-should-not-be-asked-to-do-huge-amount-to-reach-net-zero/
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,670

nico679 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Actually I think that spectator writer nailed it in this article...

"French food is the worst in the world: The country’s restaurants have become museums", by Sean Thomas, 15 September 2023, from the Spectator website, see Non-paywall link: https://archive.ph/yYrVq

For some unaccountable reason my partner bought the Spectator at the airport before our trip to Berlin. What a rag, designed solely to batter/massage the reactionary clitoris. The recurrence of Rod Liddle wasn't even the worst thing about it.
    Quite brilliant . The phrase “ reactionary clitoris “ should go down in the annals of PB history .
    PB has better writers than the Spectator.
    Often I find them weirdly similar in quality
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,749
    Carnyx said:

carnforth said:

Food inflation might not be quite so bad as it seems. Per BBC:

"The official inflation measure uses shelf prices, not the price you pay on the till. So, it misses loyalty card discounts offered by supermarkets.

This becomes more important when the number of people using loyalty cards increases or when the discounts get steeper, which is exactly what’s happened this year."

But I can't find a source which quantifies this effect.

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/supermarkets/article/loyalty-cards-compared-a4ERY9a5NFJd

NB the criticism of loyalty cards, not always all they are cracked up to be.
    The stuff I have been buying at Nectar pricing definitely has been discounted from the std price, not the price raised in the past few weeks, months, only to be dropped for a discount.

Pack of 3 peppers, tins of Heinz beans, eggs and there have been others. I know the regular prices as I buy them every week.

Now it may be a case of the supermarkets getting reductions from the manufacturers or producers and not passing them on to do this.

• TOPPING said:

Well done Rishi on pushing back those measures, they were always unattainable and performative and it was clear as day that this was the case.

As interestingly, where does Lab go with it. Vote for us to pay thousands more for boilers, house insulation, and cars.

This is at the intersection of saving the planet and saving for a new Playstation and I'm pretty sure I know which will win.

Whilst I don't really think Sunak has a chance his best bet is to offer common sense in contrast to the ideology/moral crusade of the left. It's a very old Tory playbook. Net zero, woke, immigration, politicised unions etc. He had some success - e.g trans women in prisons - pointing out that the facts have changed/net zero by 2030 is not going to save the planet

Where's the common sense is opting out of the green industrial revolution just as the US, the EU and the Chinese ramp up their efforts?

Where's the common sense in kicking the can down the road so that everything gets more expensive to do in five years time?

Where's the common sense in ensuring higher energy bills and more greenhouse gas consumption for longer?

• Leon said:

I had a weird dream last night about Fiona Bruce off Antiques Roadshow sitting on my lap and giving me a long lingering kiss, shocking everyone around me, then she gave me a tiny objet d’art which I didn’t understand but everyone around me went Oooh - like it was impressive

I have decided this means I have some hidden treasure in my possession, whose value is great but I don’t yet realise it. That’s the only possible interpretation (don’t really fancy Fiona Bruce)

But what the F is it?

I think it's obvious what this dream is about. Fear of death. You are on the Antiques Roadshow because you see yourself as an antique. To stave off oblivion you desperately seek affirmation from a woman, and this low level sexual contact briefly makes you feel alive, although the petit mort acts as an uncomfortable reminder of what must follow. The gift she gives you is the opportunity to embrace the yawning void of nothingness that awaits you, to shuffle off this mortal coil with some vestage of dignity and acceptance.
    Either that or you are just drunk under a tree in the afternoon.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,588
    Sandpit said:

darkage said:

With the cost of electricity - is owning an EV actually saving you any money over driving a petrol hybrid, IE a toyota Yaris that does 70 mpg, if you do 10000 miles a year?

Also if you buy a second hand EV - ie out of warranty - are you not at risk of something failing and it being uneconomic to repair? Usually you can repair ICE vehicles and keep them running, not sure it is quite the same with needing to replace a battery in an EV.

I'm just interested in what people think about this - I've been interested in EV's for a while but never seen them as feasible other than if you are happy to pay £300+ a month to lease one, which is way out of the reach of most people.

My sense is that in the real world people opt for old ICE cars and there is no viable EV option.

If the concern is about the environment, it seems to me that perhaps we could subsidise electric bikes and scooters and tax heavily large EV's and their ICE equivalents.

Battery replacements have existed for various EVs for a while.

The evidence from real world studies is that a well designed EV loses about 1% of range per year. so a 10 year old car will have 90% of the original range. a 20 year old car about 80%.

The electric motors don't seem to lose power the way that horsepower leaks out of old ICE.

A replacement battery for a Tesla is in the £10-15k range, including fitting, IIRC. It's much like replacing the engine in an old car - most people will probably never do it.
    There’s a market somewhere for private extended warranties aimed specifically at EVs.

AIUI these are not generally available at the moment, because of both a lack of data regarding battery replacement issues over time, and a concern that the manufacturers will make repair of battery packs impossible because these cars have data connections.

Once these two things are better understood and/or legislated for (Right To Repair!), a considerable amount of the uncertainty around used EVs should disappear.
    Manufacturer reconditioned second hand vehicles with an extended warranty....

The point about battery packs is interesting, most are being built to be a single unit.

We have decades of experience with battery wear at this point - 1% per year is pretty standard.

Replacing batteries is not going to be a big thing with that kind of lifespan. Anymore than changing engines in a 20 year old car.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,764
    So another day of shame for Britain.

Wishi washi really isn’t a leader.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,422
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

"The official inflation measure uses shelf prices, not the price you pay on the till. So, it misses loyalty card discounts offered by supermarkets.

This becomes more important when the number of people using loyalty cards increases or when the discounts get steeper, which is exactly what’s happened this year."

The tesco clubcard reduction on my weekly shop is normally around 15-20%
    That’s the price to them, of collecting your data.
    FWIW, the clubcard/nectar(?) price faff in Tesco and Sainsbury makes me less inclined to shop there. Neither are our main supermarket shop at the moment and I don't carry the cards, despite having accounts, nor have added to google wallet (which I assume is probably possible). I'm not going to pay the inflated non-loyalty price, so I'd rather shop somewhere that just has the same price for everyone.

(Our main shop is online, so I'm not really bothered about the retail data slurping, which no doubt happens just as much with the online account)

Leon said:

I had a weird dream last night about Fiona Bruce off Antiques Roadshow sitting on my lap and giving me a long lingering kiss, shocking everyone around me, then she gave me a tiny objet d’art which I didn’t understand but everyone around me went Oooh - like it was impressive

I have decided this means I have some hidden treasure in my possession, whose value is great but I don’t yet realise it. That’s the only possible interpretation (don’t really fancy Fiona Bruce)

But what the F is it?

I think it's obvious what this dream is about. Fear of death. You are on the Antiques Roadshow because you see yourself as an antique. To stave off oblivion you desperately seek affirmation from a woman, and this low level sexual contact briefly makes you feel alive, although the petit mort acts as an uncomfortable reminder of what must follow. The gift she gives you is the opportunity to embrace the yawning void of nothingness that awaits you, to shuffle off this mortal coil with some vestage of dignity and acceptance.
    But Fiona Bruce off of Antiques Roadshow came over to ME unbidden, at a family dinner, and sat on my lap and snogged me. In front of my family and friends. The slut

I didn’t come on to HER

Actually the presence of family and friends has given me a clue. I think it’s my memoir. Been sitting in a drawer for months and in my mind for years. I’ve neglected it coz so much else has happened

Fiona is telling me: that’s worth something, bring it to the roadshow of public attention
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,422
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Actually I think that spectator writer nailed it in this article...

"French food is the worst in the world: The country’s restaurants have become museums", by Sean Thomas, 15 September 2023, from the Spectator website, see Non-paywall link: https://archive.ph/yYrVq

For some unaccountable reason my partner bought the Spectator at the airport before our trip to Berlin. What a rag, designed solely to batter/massage the reactionary clitoris. The recurrence of Rod Liddle wasn't even the worst thing about it.
    Quite brilliant . The phrase “ reactionary clitoris “ should go down in the annals of PB history .
    PB has better writers than the Spectator.
    Often I find them weirdly similar in quality
    Or qualitatively similar in weirdness?
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Where's the common sense in kicking the can down the road so that everything gets more expensive to do in five years time?

It make a lot of sense from a tory perspective. They know they are fucked and this is just a core vote turnout strategy. A good many of that core vote will have been ferried across the Acheron and the Styx by Charon in five years so Sunak doesn't have to give one of his Malteser sized shits about the environmental impact of any of this. He isn't going to be PM or an MP in less than two years so none of it matters to him.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,495
    Eabhal said:

148grss said:

TimS said:

Here are the proposals:

"NEW: I’ve seen the agenda for today’s Cabinet

RECOMMENDATIONS INCLUDE

-“Delay the off-gas-grid fossil fuel ban until 2035 and relax the requirement from 100% to 80% of households”
    -“Relax the gas boiler phase-out target in 2035”
    -“no new energy efficiency regulations on homes”
    -“Increase the Boiler Upgrade Scheme grant by 50% to £7500”
    -“Announce the the requirement for all vehicles to have significant zero emission capability in the period 2030-35 is to be removed”

Bonfire of green measures…"

https://x.com/lewis_goodall/status/1704446221820018822?s=20

If you're in your early 30s, like myself, or younger - what do we really have to hope for? Why do I do my 9-5? Why should I care about saving a pension?

I can't save to buy a house, I can't afford a family, I don't believe I will see my pension because either the pension age will be so high or the economy will collapse in such a way my pension will be pointless, and the country and world will see environmental ravages annually that used to be once in a lifetime.

Why should my generation and those younger then us participate in a society that seems so gung ho in destroying any future for us?
    This is often my argument now - we have a party listening to a large proportion of older voters / older ERGers in the party without acknowledging there’s a real possibility lots of us under 40s will never “become conservative”.
    Millennials are not doing the traditional rightward shift. Indeed, it might be past 2050 when the Tories next get into power.

On the other hand, young voters in most mainland European countries are becoming more right-wing and populist.
  • Leon said:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/changi-airport-singapore-passport-free-travel-intl-hnk

Welcome to the future of immigration control.

The thing is, that such system will count people going out as well as in.

I predicted exactly this on Pb a year ago - when people were moaning about Brexit passport queues. Soon ALL passport queues will disappear

You will be facially scanned as you walk out of your plane and any miscreants will be apprehended at customs - everyone else will just waltz straight through

It’s the end of the passport, ultimately
    Cue brown eyed Brexiteers queuing up to get them replaced by blue eyes.
    "Where the hell can I get eyes like that?"

"Gotta kill a few people."

"OK, I can do it."

"Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs."

"So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?"

"Exactly."
  • Andy_JS said:
    I agree. At the moment, we have the following situation:

A 15 year old sleeps with another 15 year old - they are both breaking the law but nothing will happen
    A 16 year old sleeps with a 15 year old - the 16 year old could be prosecuted as a paedophile but realistically wouldn't be
    A 40 year old sleeps with a 16 year old - perfectly legal.

I would introduce a 2 year rule for under 18s. Essentially it is fine for under 18s to have sex provided that both partners are within 2 years of age of each other. Outside of that then you crack down hard on the older partner, even if they are under 18 themselves.
  • So another day of shame for Britain.

It's utterly appalling. Sunak has totally lost the plot.

The GE can't come fast enough now.
  • carnforth said:

carnforth said:

The tesco clubcard reduction on my weekly shop is normally around 15-20%
    Incorrect. The non-clubcard prices have been raised 20%. Your discount is a chimera, they know that almost everyone will get a card to get this "discount". The discount price is the actual price, and they just happily pocket the extra profit for the few without the card.
    Yes, most people realise that. The point is that, if the "discount" has been growing over the last year, as the BBC says it has, there is a distorting effect on inflation, which is based on un"discount"ed shelf ticket prices only.
    No. There are official statistics, then there is real world. The official stats have been undercalling real world food inflation, not exaggerating it.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,219

TOPPING said:

Whilst I don't really think Sunak has a chance his best bet is to offer common sense in contrast to the ideology/moral crusade of the left. It's a very old Tory playbook. Net zero, woke, immigration, politicised unions etc. He had some success - e.g trans women in prisons - pointing out that the facts have changed/net zero by 2030 is not going to save the planet

Where's the common sense is opting out of the green industrial revolution just as the US, the EU and the Chinese ramp up their efforts?

Where's the common sense in ensuring higher energy bills and more greenhouse gas consumption for longer?

I'm hoping for good news when we see the fuller details of Sunak's proposals, because I assume - as a sensible quid pro quo - he will also legislate to postpone global warming by 5 years to allow for more time to adapt.

Climate change is bringing huge costs to consumers and insurance companies in the UK and elsewhere, so any move by this government to push back the date we hit 1.5C warming is to be welcomed.

There is precedent: authorities in South Carolina successfully outlawed climate change in planning rules for beachfront property a few years ago. All it takes is a bit of ambition.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,573

TOPPING said:

So far as I can tell we are not opting out of it. He's talking about a delaying certain measures by a few years.
  • TOPPING said:

Rishi takes some flak today for making the changes, but come the election, Labour has to justify if they wish to revert to where we are now.
  • Dura_Ace said:

It make a lot of sense from a tory perspective. They know they are fucked and this is just a core vote turnout strategy. A good many of that core vote will have been ferried across the Acheron and the Styx by Charon in five years so Sunak doesn't have to give one of his Malteser sized shits about the environmental impact of any of this. He isn't going to be PM or an MP in less than two years so none of it matters to him.

Yep - it was notable in the recent Ipsos polling that Sunak scored lower than Starmer on patriotism.

• glw said:

Bloody brilliant move by Sunak to get almost all UK car companies opposing government policy and siding with Labour and the Lib Dems. That might be a first.

Do you not understand? Thanks to Sunak telling BMW last week that we won't uturn, they committed to invest to keep making MINI in Britain. Now that he has broken that trust and done the uturn, they will invest even more money to develop newer ICE plants to build at Hams Hall.

These global car makers *need* the UK. We hold all the cards. They do whatever we tell them, especially when what we tell them changes completely from one week to the next.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,145
    Taz said:

This, as mentioned by Cyclefree, in the article is just staggering

Surely there has to be some comeback for the auditor for making, basically, untruthful statements to the high court or will it just be a case of "lessons will be learned" and kick it into the long grass again.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/auditor-made-inaccurate-court-statement-leading-to-bankruptcy-of-subpostmaster/ar-AA1gXcGS?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=7b7e06da97e7467693784fda8ee01427&ei=16

All together now...

...the rich do not shit on the rich. Rules are for little people, dahlink. We are a two-or-three-tier society.

Eighty years after Butskellism was supposed to shepherd in a more egalitarian society to satisfy the WWII generation, Neoliberalism has succeeded in re-establishing the class structure.
  • Much breathless comment about Mr Sunak but does anyone think he'll even be a MP come 2030? Telling that when he had to put someone out to sell this nonsense he could only dredge up Suella. No policy survives association with a politician as toxic as her. Where were the great communicators? All keeping their heads down knowing this is a career killer
  • Dura_Ace said:

Even better, the Sunak family will be living in California. So don't even have to think about the impact.

Absolutely sums up what is wrong with this Tory government that it sees the green transition as a cost, not as a huge growth opportunity. The short-termism that dominates so much of our political and business culture is unendingly harmful.

Not acknowledging the cost is silly. Why can't people say it'll be expensive but it's worth it?

Scrapping home insulation regulations isn't really a saving though. You pay less money for a lower quality home!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,490
    edited September 2023

TOPPING said:

Do any of those countries/areas have a ban on pure ICE vehicles after 2030 ?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,538
    edited September 2023

TOPPING said:

None of these policies will ever see the light of day. The car manufacturers have already told Sunak that they aren't reversing course - indeed expect a harsh reaction from BMW whose investment announcement last week was predicated on Sunak not doing what he now appears to be doing.

And the rest? Cost comes down as volumes go up. The idea that home insulation is a cost demonstrates just how stupid the right are. It is an investment - spend money then save more money.

We don't have enough power generating capacity. Have become reliant on import of electricity and gas and refined fuels. And have suffered the economic consequences of this.

What we should do is invest in green tech (is cavity wall insulation "tech"?) - create a load of jobs, drive new investment, make and export more. And thus wean ourselves off imports.

Instead, the suggestion is that we sit cold in our uninsulated houses burning gas we can't afford which goes straight into the atmosphere as we rock gently chanting "we can't afford the green crap"
    How stupid the right are. How stupid you are, that said, for not realising that you need capital to start with to be able to save all that money you identify. Spend £10,000 now and the payback time will be what, five years? Seven years? Fantastic investment.

Because you have £10,000 burning a hole in your back pocket right now. Because you can't for some strange reason given that you are on the "left" that people don't have £12k for a new (to them) second hand Renault Zoe, or £10k to insulate their homes.

People could bulk buy any commodity straight off the containership for thousands of pounds and save hundreds but they might not have the thousands of pounds to start with. Which you fail to realise.

As I said, when it comes to real world experiences PB is not the best place to come.
  • TOPPING said:

So far as I can tell we are not opting out of it. He's talking about a delaying certain measures by a few years.
    If we delay as others move forward we are opting out - especially as we have a smaller economy and so need to offer something different in order to attract investment.

Andy_JS said:

A 15 year old sleeps with another 15 year old - they are both breaking the law but nothing will happen
    A 16 year old sleeps with a 15 year old - the 16 year old could be prosecuted as a paedophile but realistically wouldn't be

I would introduce a 2 year rule for under 18s. Essentially it is fine for under 18s to have sex provided that both partners are within 2 years of age of each other. Outside of that then you crack down hard on the older partner, even if they are under 18 themselves.
    It’s ludicrous. So you’re going to charge and prosecute and “come down hard” on a 20 year old girl for having consensual sex with a 17 year old boy? What are you gonna do, jail her? Or does it only work one way - only men get prosecuted? That won’t wash with the equalities act

So the whole idea is unworkable

The fact is you have an age of consent and that’s pretty much it (outside schools etc). There will be sexual relationships we all find questionable in different ways for different reasons but that’s life, you don’t get to prosecute on the basis of your prejudices
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    This announcement by Sunak is a complete waste of time. He is struggling to find something, anything, that might change the narrative. He may persuade a few people to switch their votes but it will not make a difference. At the next GE the Tories will lose, Labour will take power and go back to the old plans. All it does is reveal Sunak's desperation.
  • Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

148grss said:

TimS said:

Here are the proposals:

RECOMMENDATIONS INCLUDE

-“Delay the off-gas-grid fossil fuel ban until 2035 and relax the requirement from 100% to 80% of households”
    -“Announce the the requirement for all vehicles to have significant zero emission capability in the period 2030-35 is to be removed”

If you're in your early 30s, like myself, or younger - what do we really have to hope for? Why do I do my 9-5? Why should I care about saving a pension?

I can't save to buy a house, I can't afford a family, I don't believe I will see my pension because either the pension age will be so high or the economy will collapse in such a way my pension will be pointless, and the country and world will see environmental ravages annually that used to be once in a lifetime.

Why should my generation and those younger then us participate in a society that seems so gung ho in destroying any future for us?
    This is often my argument now - we have a party listening to a large proportion of older voters / older ERGers in the party without acknowledging there’s a real possibility lots of us under 40s will never “become conservative”.
    Millennials are not doing the traditional rightward shift. Indeed, it might be past 2050 when the Tories next get into power.

The Tory Pluto-gerontocracy doesn't care about the young.

Many of us older GenX rather want to leave a better world for our posterity.
    It's interesting that you say 'a better world' and not 'a better country'.

A day of shame. Utterly appalling. Get a sense of perspective. It is hardly either.
  • Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

No - we had a first mover advantage that we are now giving up.

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,026
    We're enjoying the debate here on PB, but the announcement on Net Zero is almost entirely inconsequential.

The really telling thing is that business, and some Conservatives in areas like Teesside, have felt free to pile in on Sunak. Everyone knows that Labour will get in, and market forces for EVs and other green measures are already in full swing. No stopping it now.

When the Tories return from the wilderness, the UK will be replete with electric cars, bicycles, LTNs, 20mph limits, possibly even HS2 and some light rail in the north.
  • Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

148grss said:

TimS said:

Here are the proposals:

RECOMMENDATIONS INCLUDE

The Tory Pluto-gerontocracy doesn't care about the young.

Many of us older GenX rather want to leave a better world for our posterity.
    It's interesting that you say 'a better world' and not 'a better country'.
    Britain has overseas territories all around the world.
    edited September 2023

Andy_JS said:

Also keep the voting age at 18.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

But Fiona Bruce off of Antiques Roadshow came over to ME unbidden, at a family dinner, and sat on my lap and snogged me. In front of my family and friends. The slut

I didn’t come on to HER

Actually the presence of family and friends has given me a clue. I think it’s my memoir. Been sitting in a drawer for months and in my mind for years. I’ve neglected it coz so much else has happened

Fiona is telling me: that’s worth something, bring it to the roadshow of public attention
    Your dream is about fear of castration

You offer her a gift so she does not take it from you.

Castration is your inner fear.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,376

Dura_Ace said:

Even better, the Sunak family will be living in California. So don't even have to think about the impact.
    I think they will have enough to worry about from nature with the Cascadia subduction Zone so cut him some slack.
  • Absolutely sums up what is wrong with this Tory government that it sees the green transition as a cost, not as a huge growth opportunity. The short-termism that dominates so much of our political and business culture is unendingly harmful.

Not acknowledging the cost is silly. Why can't people say it'll be expensive but it's worth it?

Scrapping home insulation regulations isn't really a saving though. You pay less money for a lower quality home!
    The fallacy is that all the cost assumptions sit on the action side, with the pretence that inaction is cost-free. We still spend, and usually the cost of inaction is more than acting. With less to show at the end of it.

Unfortunately the spivocracy who own the Tory party have successfully abolished capitalism. Why make money slowly when you can simply get your mates to give you money?
    Eabhal said:

We're enjoying the debate here on PB, but the announcement on Net Zero is almost entirely inconsequential.

The really telling thing is that business, and some Conservatives in areas like Teesside, have felt free to pile in on Sunak. Everyone knows that Labour will get in, and market forces for EVs and other green measures are already in full swing. No stopping it now.

When the Tories return from the wilderness, the UK will be replete with electric cars, bicycles, LTNs, 20mph limits, possibly even HS2 and some light rail in the north.

Starmer and Reeves should do some photo-ops in hard hats with car manufacturers over the next few days. Labour will commit to a stable investment climate, new green industrial revolution, white heat of progress etc etc.
    Andrew Marr (for it was he) actually made a compelling argument for a spring '24 election in The New Statesman.

1. Rwanda might be legal by then and crossings will be down over the winter. They can claim that the drop is down to the Kigali Express and dare Labour to do away with the policy. This might work when you consider the analytical capacity of the median tory voter.

2. The tories are going to get fucked in the locals and London Mayoral which will establish a narrative of doom leading up to an Autumn GE.

3. Give away spring budget. Not Truss but not not Truss either.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Or if California's fucked, they could always go to live with Daddy-in-law in India.
  • Absolutely sums up what is wrong with this Tory government that it sees the green transition as a cost, not as a huge growth opportunity. The short-termism that dominates so much of our political and business culture is unendingly harmful.

Is it a growth opportunity overall though for the UK? Sure, the new technologies will see growth but that is counteracted by a decline in old technologies.

Bear in mind the Climate Change Committee still says Net Zero will cost £16 billion (down from £50 billion in the previous estimate).
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

None of these policies will ever see the light of day. The car manufacturers have already told Sunak that they aren't reversing course - indeed expect a harsh reaction from BMW whose investment announcement last week was predicated on Sunak not doing what he now appears to be doing.

And the rest? Cost comes down as volumes go up. The idea that home insulation is a cost demonstrates just how stupid the right are. It is an investment - spend money then save more money.

We don't have enough power generating capacity. Have become reliant on import of electricity and gas and refined fuels. And have suffered the economic consequences of this.

What we should do is invest in green tech (is cavity wall insulation "tech"?) - create a load of jobs, drive new investment, make and export more. And thus wean ourselves off imports.

Instead, the suggestion is that we sit cold in our uninsulated houses burning gas we can't afford which goes straight into the atmosphere as we rock gently chanting "we can't afford the green crap"
    How stupid the right are. How stupid you are, that said, for not realising that you need capital to start with to be able to save all that money you identify. Spend £10,000 now and the payback time will be what, five years? Seven years? Fantastic investment.

Because you have £10,000 burning a hole in your back pocket right now. Because you can't for some strange reason given that you are on the "left" that people don't have £12k for a new (to them) second hand Renault Zoe, or £10k to insulate their homes.

People could bulk buy any commodity straight off the containership for thousands of pounds and save hundreds but they might not have the thousands of pounds to start with. Which you fail to realise.

As I said, when it comes to real world experiences PB is not the best place to come.

People who live in the real world know that you do not need £12,000 of capital in your back pocket to purchase a car being sold for £12,000.

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

But she gave the “thing” to me

It was a very enjoyable dream. The kiss in the desk was decidedly sensuous and when I woke up and remembered it, the dream made me laugh out loud

So win win
    Nigelb said:

darkage said:

With the cost of electricity - is owning an EV actually saving you any money over driving a petrol hybrid, IE a toyota Yaris that does 70 mpg, if you do 10000 miles a year?

Also if you buy a second hand EV - ie out of warranty - are you not at risk of something failing and it being uneconomic to repair? Usually you can repair ICE vehicles and keep them running, not sure it is quite the same with needing to replace a battery in an EV.

I'm just interested in what people think about this - I've been interested in EV's for a while but never seen them as feasible other than if you are happy to pay £300+ a month to lease one, which is way out of the reach of most people.

My sense is that in the real world people opt for old ICE cars and there is no viable EV option...

That's because the mass manufacturing of EVs has barely started.
    Decisions like Sunak's will help delay that a bit. The early adopters are those with more cash to hand than you or I have.
    ie le tout PB.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,865
    On topic: Cyclefree - So, what do you think would be fair compensation? I'm not asking for exact numbers, just some idea of how you would judge all those different losses.

Second, what should the penalties be, for those who failed?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801

Absolutely sums up what is wrong with this Tory government that it sees the green transition as a cost, not as a huge growth opportunity. The short-termism that dominates so much of our political and business culture is unendingly harmful.

Put aside the economic stuff but how the hell anyone could have observed what has been happening with the weather and climate all over the world in recent months and then thought "we can wait a bit longer to act" is beyond me. I would have to assume that anyone thinking we can go slower is really quite stupid.

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Manufacturers are still free to make EVs, restricting consumer choice unnecessarily (We're in the orbit of the EU bloc wrt goods so I accept 2035 will probably still happen) is like the Brexiters who argued giving up freedom of movement with the EU was somehow gaining back our freedom.
    There was no need for the arbitrary 2030 ICE ban, and it is a good thing at least the Tories have binned it to align with the EU now.
  • Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

It was a very enjoyable dream. The kiss in the desk was decidedly sensuous and when I woke up and remembered it, the dream made me laugh out loud

So win win
    Maybe you subconsciously think Fiona looks OK!
    Sitting here swigging wine from a metal cup under a tree by rodez station I am SO low on the social hierarchy the hobo who wanders around picking up old cigarette butts has just stared at me in disapproval

True story. A definite grimace of contempt. He’s probably thinking “there but for the grace of god go moi”
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

So win win
    Whenever I have a dream like that, last one was Linda Thorson in her Avengers days, I always wake up before it gets interesting.
    Leon said:

But what the F is it?

You're gay. The tiny objet d’art is your penis and your lack of understanding is your inability to maintain a heterosexual relationship. You must now go off and find a retired antiques dealer who swallows and has neo-nazi porn on his laptop, so you can travel the world together. That will be £750 please and same time next month?
  • Commentators seem to be suggesting a May election is more likely now

Maybe
  • Commentators seem to be suggesting a May election is more likely now

Maybe

The last May election saw her lose her majority!
    edited September 2023

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

People who live in the real world know that you do not need £12,000 of capital in your back pocket to purchase a car being sold for £12,000.

Ah yes. You can get it on the never never. Because interest rates are now at an historic low. It's free money.

Have I got that right?

Edit: plus credit scores, existing outstanding obligations, plus...plus...

Another example of PB thinking it all so very simple.

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

So win win
    Maybe you subconsciously think Fiona looks OK!
    She has a MILFish quality about her.
    edited September 2023

Commentators seem to be suggesting a May election is more likely now

Maybe

The last May election saw her lose her majority!
    What's the linguistic word for that type of sentence? Something like zeugma.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,560
    edited September 2023

That’s assuming he ever had it.

When one looks back at the political career of Rishi Sunak, one sees a lot of opportunistic posturing that’s generally backfired but not really any shred of principle or belief. He made one big call right - the immediate pandemic support (which then went on too long, by the way). Even then I suspect a lot of that was dreamt up by treasury supremos who put it in front of him and told him to sign off furlough or the economy would implode within a week. Everything else has been pretty much dross.

Is it a growth opportunity overall though for the UK? Sure, the new technologies will see growth but that is counteracted by a decline in old technologies.

Bear in mind the Climate Change Committee still says Net Zero will cost £16 billion (down from £50 billion in the previous estimate).
    A 50bn to 16bn swing hardly inspires confidence in the budgeting abilities of the Climate Change Committee.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

So win win
    Whenever I have a dream like that, last one was Linda Thorson in her Avengers days, I always wake up before it gets interesting.
    I once had a wet dream about my mum. Ok I was about 15 and constantly tumescent - just the word “thigh” could leave me on the edge of climax - but it was still deeply disturbing. Couldn’t look her in the eye for about a week

I wonder if sometimes the human subconscious is just trying to wind us all up for bantz
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,026
    TimS said:

Eabhal said:

Starmer and Reeves should do some photo-ops in hard hats with car manufacturers over the next few days. Labour will commit to a stable investment climate, new green industrial revolution, white heat of progress etc etc.
    An open goal: "Labour to save Green jobs on Teesside"

"Labour to stop closure of Mini factory in face of Sunak attack on electric cars"
  • Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Manufacturers are still free to make EVs, restricting consumer choice unnecessarily (We're in the orbit of the EU bloc wrt goods so I accept 2035 will probably still happen) is like the Brexiters who argued giving up freedom of movement with the EU was somehow gaining back our freedom.
    There was no need for the arbitrary 2030 ICE ban, and it is a good thing at least the Tories have binned it to align with the EU now.

The argument for 2030 is that it put the UK ahead of everyone else and so made us a more attractive investment opportunity - a place to develop technologies against a set timeline, with a supportive government in the back ground, that could then be rolled-out more widely. By doing what everyone else is doing while also looking entirely unreliable, we remove a reason to come here.

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,315
    I watched episode 1 of the BBC’s “State of Chaos” last night. It’s good, but it also feels like it could have been 5 times longer. It’s a bit more interested in shock revelations than in analysis.

I suppose the main theme out of episode 1 is that referendums often don’t work. A party at a general election has a manifesto and then wins a majority to enact that. But a referendum hands the politicians an order from the populace that they then have to enact. Having won the referendum, there was no Leave party holding a majority in the Commons with a plan for how to deliver it. The implication is that maybe it would have been better if Gove took over after Cameron and had picked a Leave Cabinet. The problem with that is there still wouldn’t have been a Parliamentary majority for a specific Brexit because people had voted for very different kinds of Brexit.

The sub-theme of episode 1 is that, out of the chaos of a referendum result untethered to a Commons majority, we got Boris Johnson and Dominic Cummings, and Cummings was a full-on nihilist. Cummings was simply untethered from democratic norms. The rule of law was irrelevant to him, which makes him a revolutionary and not a conservative.
    glw said:

Put aside the economic stuff but how the hell anyone could have observed what has been happening with the weather and climate all over the world in recent months and then thought "we can wait a bit longer to act" is beyond me. I would have to assume that anyone thinking we can go slower is really quite stupid.
    Yet you keep on using your computer thereby wasting valuable resources and contributing to the forthcoming anti-cyclone heading towards Lincolnshire.
    edited September 2023

On topic: Cyclefree - So, what do you think would be fair compensation? I'm not asking for exact numbers, just some idea of how you would judge all those different losses.

Second, what should the penalties be, for those who failed?

Looking forward to Cyclefree's reply.

I'd say you'd have to assess the lost earnings for each person, and add compensation on top of that, which would probably be over a million in most cases. And the people most responsible need to get prison sentences.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,167
    edited September 2023
    Rishi looks very desperate right now.

But, according to the polls which now have the Tories in the low twenties, is it any surprise?
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

So win win
    I once had a wet dream about my mum. Ok I was about 15 and constantly tumescent - just the word “thigh” could leave me on the edge of climax - but it was still deeply disturbing. Couldn’t look her in the eye for about a week

I wonder if sometimes the human subconscious is just trying to wind us all up for bantz
    WHAT !!!!! That trumps the NPxMP threesome I would have thought.

As for your conclusion, it must have been in that case !!!!

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

I'd quite like an electric car.

To buy a small one (for example a Fiat 500 electric) I would need £26k to £34k. Plus - I think - £1,500 for a home charger inc installation.

Or I could by a small petrol (e.g. the excellent Hyundai i10) for £15k+.

You can get a second-hand Jag for about £5-10K and posh people will want to do rude things with you in [heavily redacted] ways. Or so I am unreliably informed.

https://www.youtube.com/@HighPeakAutos/search?query=jaguar
    You will need to spend that much each year, keeping it on the road.
    Well, yes. The British drink warm beer because Lucas make fridges. But the solution is to use the car for just the weekly shop, use taxis for everything else, and make sure the driveway can absorb oil leaks. A Jag is for owning, not actually driving. That would be silly. :)
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 4,155
    TOPPING said:

glw said:

Yet you keep on using your computer thereby wasting valuable resources and contributing to the forthcoming anti-cyclone heading towards Lincolnshire.
    https://thenib.com/mister-gotcha/
  • Nigelb said:

darkage said:

My sense is that in the real world people opt for old ICE cars and there is no viable EV option...

That's because the mass manufacturing of EVs has barely started.
    Decisions like Sunak's will help delay that a bit. The early adopters are those with more cash to hand than you or I have.

The Total Cost of Ownership for EVs is falling.
    Quite soon the upfront cost will be comparable and there's nothing to stop EVs being cheaper than ICE cars. Compare an all electric MG4 with a Golf, there's not much in it.
    EVs are starting up the steep part of the adoption 'S' curve. Sunak can slow that a bit but it's inevitable that EVs will become the standard choice. Watch for cheaper and desirable EVs to arrive in the next few years, I'm interested in seeing what the electric Renault 5 will look like.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ah yes. You can get it on the never never. Because interest rates are now at an historic low. It's free money.

Have I got that right?

Welcome to how most people buy big ticket stuff in the real world. That is not going to change.

And 2030 is seven years away. Is the government telling us that the cost of living crisis has at least another seven years to run?

viewcode said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

You're gay. The tiny objet d’art is your penis and your lack of understanding is your inability to maintain a heterosexual relationship. You must now go off and find a retired antiques dealer who swallows and has neo-nazi porn on his laptop, so you can travel the world together. That will be £750 please and same time next month?
    Not bad

I have wondered about “becoming gay” in recent years. I wouldn’t do the whole gay sex thing (not my cup of camomile tea) but I quite like the whole “wear orange jeans and have a tiny dog and live in Sitges and make random waspish remarks” kind of vibe

It’s a good look for the ageing English gent
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Baffling. Genuinely. Most cars are "bought" on finance. An awful lot of metal being "bought" firmly in EV cost range, and almost none of them are bought for cash. So instead of £400 a month on a petrol BMW, spend £400 on an electric one.

And home improvements are things that people already do now. New windows. Doors. Boilers. Loft conversions. Again, most of it is financed. So we're talking about shaping and targeting what people are financing, not demanding 10 large in cash.
    I wonder if a few pbers are personally invested in the green transition? And when I say invested I mean monetarily.

How are we going to compete with Joe Biden's green subsidies? We can't. Better to focus on something else and get the benefit of importing things American taxpayers have paid for. Corporate producers should not be prioritised over consumers.
    The tory leadership contest which is going to take place in opposition after defeat is really going to be quite something. It'll be like being trapped in a burning lunatic asylum.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,865
    In the US, and, as far as I know, in the UK as well, the air and water have become cleaner in recent decades. The amount of human-produced CO2 has declined in the last decade in the US. Food has gotten better, and cheaper, relative to incomes. From these good trends, some people conclude that we are doomed, Doomed, DOOMED!

I can't say I can follow the "logic" in their thinking.

But I do think those costumes the Extinction Rebellion girls wear are cute.

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,992
    The Ford company declaring that delaying the phase-out of ICE vehicles is not very positive for the Sunak Hail Mary Pass hunt.

'We want amibition, commitment, and consistency".

Ooops.

Howard Cox continues to be a Neanderthal.
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

But what the F is it?

I didn’t come on to HER

So win win

WHAT !!!!! That trumps the NPxMP threesome I would have thought.

As for your conclusion, it must have been in that case !!!!
    Tbh I really don’t think it’s that unusual, as Dr Freud revealed, about 100 years ago

The number of girls who will confess to fantasies about Dad is quite extraordinary. If you are brave enough to ask, and she’s had several glasses of bubbles
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Baffling. Genuinely. Most cars are "bought" on finance. An awful lot of metal being "bought" firmly in EV cost range, and almost none of them are bought for cash. So instead of £400 a month on a petrol BMW, spend £400 on an electric one.

And home improvements are things that people already do now. New windows. Doors. Boilers. Loft conversions. Again, most of it is financed. So we're talking about shaping and targeting what people are financing, not demanding 10 large in cash.

Ah, the real world.

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Stocky said:

I'd quite like an electric car.

To buy a small one (for example a Fiat 500 electric) I would need £26k to £34k. Plus - I think - £1,500 for a home charger inc installation.

Or I could by a small petrol (e.g. the excellent Hyundai i10) for £15k+.

You can get a second-hand Jag for about £5-10K and posh people will want to do rude things with you in [heavily redacted] ways. Or so I am unreliably informed.

https://www.youtube.com/@HighPeakAutos/search?query=jaguar
    You will need to spend that much each year, keeping it on the road.
    Well, yes. The British drink warm beer because Lucas make fridges. But the solution is to use the car for just the weekly shop, use taxis for everything else, and make sure the driveway can absorb oil leaks. A Jag is for owning, not actually driving. That would be silly. :)
    Jaguar are going to be 100% electric by 2025 so they are no longer the tory chariot of choice.
    This is PB at its finest. Incest, public drinking, and a detailed discussion of electronic vehicle legislation relative to the 2035 deadline for phasing out non-compliant automobiles

Doesn’t get better than that
  • Invest in Britain - it is a medium-sized economy with a government that will change its mind on key policy commitments at the drop of a hat if it thinks there is short-term political advantage in doing so.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Have I got that right?

Welcome to how most people buy big ticket stuff in the real world. That is not going to change.

And 2030 is seven years away. Is the government telling us that the cost of living crisis has at least another seven years to run?

It might not change but it is still a huge deal for people on the average wage. £200/month after tax to finance a £12k car. More if their credit score is wonky.

But no issue whatsoever for PB.
  • murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,067
    edited September 2023
    A day of shame for the UK. The slimy dweeb from Number 10 trying everything to save his pants. Think it is far too late. The Tory filth will hang on to the bitter end scorching the earth as they go. Sadly we will have to wait until January ‘25 before this madness ends.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,384
    edited September 2023
    Dura_Ace said:

Pretty much. I remember Corbyn and McDonnell scrabbling around for things (anything) to announce in a last desperate bid to stave off a thrashing at GE19. This reminds me of that. No doubt there'll be more reactionary 'wedge seeking' to come. It's tawdry and embarrassing (like the type of voters it's looking to appeal to) but I guess they have no better option, politically. The alternative is to focus on Competence: a non-starter because they don't have any. Three years of Boris Johnson made sure of that. Will it work? IMO yes - it might limit Starmer's majority to 75.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

£400/month. What percentage of post tax earnings would that be for someone on the average wage.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,764
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Have I got that right?

Indeed I had the misfortune of my pc breaking completely last week, I earn a chunk more than average wage yet i am wondering where I am going to find 2k to replace the damn thing and get off the crappy laptop I dug out of storage. With my outgoings such as rent, council tax, water, power etc I can't really afford to take out a bank loan for it so "just get a 12k car" is totally out of reach even with borrowing for it
    edited September 2023
    Would it be good for the environment if everyone stopped using smartphones?

https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/science/environment/the-hidden-environmental-toll-of-smartphones/

Leon said:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/changi-airport-singapore-passport-free-travel-intl-hnk

Welcome to the future of immigration control.

The thing is, that such system will count people going out as well as in.

I predicted exactly this on Pb a year ago - when people were moaning about Brexit passport queues. Soon ALL passport queues will disappear

You will be facially scanned as you walk out of your plane and any miscreants will be apprehended at customs - everyone else will just waltz straight through

It’s the end of the passport, ultimately
    Cue brown eyed Brexiteers queuing up to get them replaced by blue eyes.
    "Where the hell can I get eyes like that?"

"Gotta kill a few people."

"OK, I can do it."

"Then you got to get sent to a slam, where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. You dig up a doctor, and you pay him 20 menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your eyeballs."

"So you can see who's sneaking up on you in the dark?"

"Exactly."
    https://www.quotes.net/mquote/73530

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

The argument for 2030 is that it put the UK ahead of everyone else and so made us a more attractive investment opportunity - a place to develop technologies against a set timeline, with a supportive government in the back ground, that could then be rolled-out more widely. By doing what everyone else is doing while also looking entirely unreliable, we remove a reason to come here.

Against that it's denying choice for the UK consumer and likely will/would have introduce(d) a significant amount of inflation into the second hand car market in the lead up to the 2030 ban.
    I do not think on balance the announcement should have been made in the first place as the effect of looking unreliable to car manufacturers with the inevitable rowback was entirely forseeable. But on balance it should not have been a part of our strategy, instead we should have/should go for something far more based on carrot like Biden's various green measures.
  • Why Rishi, it profit a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. . . but for the Tamworth by-election!'
  • 148grss148grss Posts: 4,155

In the US, and, as far as I know, in the UK as well, the air and water have become cleaner in recent decades. The amount of human-produced CO2 has declined in the last decade in the US. Food has gotten better, and cheaper, relative to incomes. From these good trends, some people conclude that we are doomed, Doomed, DOOMED!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276629/global-co2-emissions/

In the 30 years years after the first IPPC result humans released more CO2 into the atmosphere than the rest of human history. It is still increasing year on year.

Once in a lifetime weather is now happening all the time. Summer in this country regularly has multiple days over 30 degrees Celsius.

If we do not put the breaks on CO2 emissions - we are doomed.
  • 148grss said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/276629/global-co2-emissions/

In the 30 years years after the first IPPC result humans released more CO2 into the atmosphere than the rest of human history. It is still increasing year on year.

Once in a lifetime weather is now happening all the time. Summer in this country regularly has multiple days over 30 degrees Celsius.

If we do not put the breaks on CO2 emissions - we are doomed.
    Jim doesn’t actually get out much.
  • I wonder if a few pbers are personally invested in the green transition? And when I say invested I mean monetarily.

How are we going to compete with Joe Biden's green subsidies? We can't. Better to focus on something else and get the benefit of importing things American taxpayers have paid for. Corporate producers should not be prioritised over consumers.

Our carbon footprint is a drop in the ocean compared to America's (and China's and India's).
    I notice no-one has answered my question on the cost of energy for EV cars versus petrol cars. I genuinely don't know the answer so I'd appreciate a response.
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

If we had just committed to the same targets as the EU in the first place, including a complete phasing out of ICE in 2035 (unlike our phase out which still allows hybrids) and stuck with it, nobody would be particularly peeved. Some would be arguing it should be quicker but that's all.

But no, we committed to a 2030 date, reiterated it in election pledges and then promised a number of automotive OEMs and suppliers that this was cast in stone. Those companies then started planning for this, a couple of them committed to manufacturing investment based on business cases with assumptions on UK demand in the 2030s. Then we decided to change the rules again. It's something this government has done over and over again. Keep changing the playing field.

The same on a smaller scale with boilers, insulation and heat pumps. Just like they built up then destroyed a solar installation industry by messing around with the subsidy regime at the drop of a hat.

That's not just a net zero issue either. They've also done it repeatedly on corporation tax and with the North Sea oil tax regime too. And of course we had 4 years of it over Brexit. It's not quite Argentina but it's really not good for the investment climate.
This discussion has been closed.