Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Hard to see a LAB overall majority with this poll – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,442

elister said:

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

Russell Brand has always been crazy and a knobhead. That's what he does, it's why he's famous, why is it news today?

It's like breaking news that Katie Hopkins has unpleasant views. Or that Jeremy Corbyn doesn't like Jews.

Breaking news Russell Brand is promiscuous shock horror.
    Must be much more for C4 to put on at 9PM on a Saturday surely.
    Unless its kids its a yawn fest. Russell Brand squeezed my bum no wont work.
    Assaulting women shouldn't be reported?

Or are you of the view that groping women without their consent isn't assault?
    Is it worthy of a 1 hour documentary on channel 4 though.
    Yes.

Maybe if they had documentaries about abuse on Первый канал then your standards wouldn't be so neanderthal.
    Now, now.

We all know that gang rape in the Russian army is just about discipline. And is completely anti-gay as well.
    edited September 2023
    elister said:

Interesting remarks from Andrew Bridgen.

was stopped by a man just outside Parliament yesterday evening. He introduced himself as a civil servant. He told me to ‘keep doing what you are doing, everyone knows it’s the truth. The establishment are very worried because they know what’s coming down the track for them!’ This is not the first civil servant to say this to me in private . They all know the truth and they all know it has to be exposed.

https://x.com/ABridgen/status/1700118446476804300?s=20

If a plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border, which side do you bury the survivors?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,603
    kjh said:

IanB2 said:

kjh said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

More than 1,000 people in each of Wansbeck, Blyth Valley and North Tyneside have signed a petition saying this:

"I believe that the XL bully is a kind, beautiful natured breed that loves children and people in general, and are very loyal and loving pets."

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/643611
    https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=643611

We are absurdly sentimental about animals in this country.

The breed isn't like that anyway but dogs don't "love children and people in general"; they are pack animals and to the extent they appear to be it's because they see themselves as part of that pack with a clear role in its pecking order, and are loyal to who leads it and feeds them. Sometimes this extends to jealously, and then more basic instincts can kick in, which is why they can attack kids. They won't generally attack the owner unless they are absurdly indisciplined and want to make a play for pack leader.

Either way, basic dog psychology needs to be considered here. It's an animal - not a person with four legs.
    Yes, but that’s dog psychology from the dark ages. As with your politics you seem to be way behind the times. Are you a relic from a bygone age?
    No, it's fact. That's what how dogs are. Dog psychologists describe them as such.

Just because you're personally in love with your dog and blind to it doesn't change the fact.
    No, really it isn’t. All that pack and owner-as-pack-Leader Cesar Milan stuff is widely discredited. Dogs know the difference between humans and other dogs, trust me.
    Interesting. I was unaware, but a quick bit of googling says you are correct. A dog is a domestic animal. A wolf isn't. Just because a the dog has derived from wolves, doesn't make it a wolf. Domestication has changed that. I'll bear that in mind in future when such referenced are made to training our dog. We are considering more advanced training as he is a spectacularly active dog and seems to enjoy puzzles particularly involving searching (probably the springer in him).
    Yes. The idea that the owner is pack Leader and needs to dominate their dog is the traditional form of training; many of us may dimly remember Barbara Woodhouse from our youth, and popularised more recently by Cesar Milan. Extending to punishing the dog when it steps out of line, with the shock collars and choke chains that are slowly being made illegal around the world.

In these more enlightened times, dog psychologists understand that dogs know humans are superior - pretty obvious as we start with almost total control over the key aspects of their lives - and don’t need to be ‘dominated’ to establish the owner as ‘alpha dog’, which is all nonsense. And indeed can be counter-productive, setting up the dog for one day reacting in precisely the violent way that we’re all trying to avoid.

Which isn’t to say that dogs don’t react to people through the prism of their instincts, just as humans often react to dogs as if they are merely little humans. That’s only natural. Yet sharing your life with a creature from another species is both a privilege and a hugely rewarding experience; the closest we will get to interacting with aliens (assuming that as usual Leon is wrong). Finding ways in which a dog can make his or her decisions, as far as possible, is a much better prism through which to see how to build a relationship of give-and-take with a dog. No creature likes to be told what to do all of the time.

Definitely hunt out some good training; there’s tons of stuff you can do - agility is the obvious one but also scent work, man-trailing. My dog has his first man-trailing class next month.
    Just discussed with my wife. It seems she was a lot more informed than me. She was also aware of the Mexican trainer (I had never heard of him). The lesson I guess is not to make assumptions and jump to conclusions. Our sproodle is very affectionate so a joy, but also the most lively dog anyone seems to have come across to an extreme. The vet says this can be treated, but we have avoided this as he just seems to enjoy life and all we would be doing is making life easier for us, which seems wrong. It is also a pleasure to watch, even if it does present issues. We are looking at ways in which he can enjoy his excitement more. Man trailing classes seems interesting. The trouble with training with other dogs is he gets so excited and just wants to play and destroys the class. He got expelled as a puppy even though he could do everything, because he would reduce the class to mayhem with nobody able to control their dog.
    My dog is generally very calm - remarkably so and people comment on it all the time - but he gets over-excited with 'activities' such that he can be very noisy and lose concentration. During stuff like agility this can be inhibiting as well as annoying - talking to the trainer she says that any habits can be trained out of or into a dog with enough time and effort, but I should think about the extent to which I wish to change his essential character rather than just train him to do stuff. And tells some stories about owners who tried too hard to channel their dogs and lost good things about the pet they had. Which is all food for thought.

With an over-excitable dog the route would be to ignore it completely - not even telling it off - when it is being the most excitable and finding times when it is calm and relaxed to deliver all the good things in life, including attention. The question is whether you want effectively to punish your dog's exuberant character by sending him to Coventry whenever he displays it. I think you're better to look for positive outlets - my dog proves that they can be both very calm and very excited, but of course every breed and every dog has unique challenges
  • elister said:

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

Russell Brand has always been crazy and a knobhead. That's what he does, it's why he's famous, why is it news today?

It's like breaking news that Katie Hopkins has unpleasant views. Or that Jeremy Corbyn doesn't like Jews.

Yes.

Maybe if they had documentaries about abuse on Первый канал then your standards wouldn't be so neanderthal.
    Now, now.

We all know that gang rape in the Russian army is just about discipline. And is completely anti-gay as well.
    To be fair social attitudes in Russia are similar to those of the uk in the 1980s. Dont think the uk was a hellhole in the 1980s
  • I have always been opposed to HS2.

The environmental destruction caused by the project is unacceptable. And now we discover that it was all for nothing. No high speed trains linking anywhere in the North to That London. Indeed, no high speed trains even reaching London by the looks of it.

Meanwhile all those executives it was supposed to be speeding to their important meetings are sat at home in their keks meeting over Teams instead.

But we cannot reverse the destruction of the ancient woodland.

HS2 was badly miss sold. The real gains are in capacity on the old lines, not shaving a few minutes off from London to Manchester.

You have a point about environmental destruction but at some point, somewhere infrastructure must be built or we really are just in decline.
    You echo the point I made the other day. HS2 is primarily to benefit Home Counties commuters, not Northerners.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

So, Sir John Curtice (who is usually bloody accurate) thinks Labour's polling in Scotland is off the boil and they will fall short in Rutherglen and yet the SNP are still available at over 10/1 to take the seat. If so, that's superb value.

What am I missing?

Labour are so crap and over confidant in Scotland that they are very likely to blow it. People see them for what they are, London sock puppets and will do nothing for Scotland. Way they denigrated Ferrier was shocking. Much as I would like to see SNP beaten , certainly NOT by those Labour C****.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,930
    elister said:

elister said:

was stopped by a man just outside Parliament yesterday evening. He introduced himself as a civil servant. He told me to ‘keep doing what you are doing, everyone knows it’s the truth. The establishment are very worried because they know what’s coming down the track for them!’ This is not the first civil servant to say this to me in private . They all know the truth and they all know it has to be exposed.

Anti Vax already? You need to learn to play yourself in. A few posts on dogs, something about cricket, maybe mention that you are not sure Labour will get a majority, before opening the stance and going for the big swing.
    Bridgen also said a senior govt minister gave words of support to him.
    Sadly Bridgen is deranged. Currently no COVID restrictions in the UK, shops full, footy stadiums full, COVID still out there but vaccines have done the job.
  • elister said:

If a plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border, which side do you bury the survivors?
    Ukraine doesnt boder China lol
  • Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Ok, I'm going to say it. The rugby world cup is rubbish.
    After ten matches, the average points difference is over 30 points.

When perennial 6-nations no-hopers like Italy can run in 52 points, you've got a competition that is way, way, larger than the number of teams that should reasonably be there. There are at least ten countries that shouldn't even be there.

The clue is in the title. It is a World Cup, not an elite invitational.
    Ok just let every country in then. South Africa v Åland Islands. New Zealand v Vatican. England v Eswatini.
    The Vatican could be lively. Not just the hand of god, but God himself. Tough one to price.
    They are a bit weak in the Backs, but can usually be relied on to produce some quality Hookers.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

I was

Sandpit said:

My God, Sunak really is a 🔔 end.

That is an absurdly stupid idea.

The whole thing is pointless if it doesn't run into Euston.
    Actually, it shouldn't run into Euston; it should run into a new terminal between KX-StP, so as to link with Eurostar services without an annoyingly long transfer. But that's another story.
    Yes, the ideal station would be totally underground, and parallel with, or just north of, Euston Rd - perhaps underneath the Library - with exits to both Euston and KX/St.P, and through trains that run Birmingham>LHR>OOC>”London”>Stratford>Ashford>Paris.

Yes it’s going to be expensive, but it’s a once-in-a-century investment and will revolutionise rail travel.
    Absolutely right. HS2 should eventually connect all the major northern cities (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds) to the European High Speed network, with direct through trains. Anything less is a horrible British fudge. Just do it.
    And GLASGOW
    When he says British he means English. There was never any intention it would reach Scotland, only connection we have is paying for it.
    The SG did get consequentials for it, in the end.

But people routinely forget that Glasgow is one of the UK's most populous urban areas, and would be well served by an express link to London etc.
    Bollox, not been tuppence spent on Scottish rail infrastructure.
    elister said:

Dr Aseem Malhotra tweets his support of Russell Brand.

https://x.com/DrAseemMalhotra/status/1702836288116654080?s=20

Now there is a seriously unhinged chap.
  • elister said:

elister said:

Anti Vax already? You need to learn to play yourself in. A few posts on dogs, something about cricket, maybe mention that you are not sure Labour will get a majority, before opening the stance and going for the big swing.
    Sadly Bridgen is deranged. Currently no COVID restrictions in the UK, shops full, footy stadiums full, COVID still out there but vaccines have done the job.
    Why has long term sickness risen by 600000 in 2 years. And we woukd be back to normal by now even without a vaccine.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,459
    malcolmg said:

So, Sir John Curtice (who is usually bloody accurate) thinks Labour's polling in Scotland is off the boil and they will fall short in Rutherglen and yet the SNP are still available at over 10/1 to take the seat. If so, that's superb value.

What am I missing?

Labour are so crap and over confidant in Scotland that they are very likely to blow it. People see them for what they are, London sock puppets and will do nothing for Scotland. Way they denigrated Ferrier was shocking. Much as I would like to see SNP beaten , certainly NOT by those Labour C****.
    The issue at Ru'glen may be that the *Slab* candidate has been rather explicitly espousing SNP policies in contrast to SKS London HQ policies which do not play well north of the Border - Brexit, 2-child, etc. if I recall rightly. But I haven't been following the local campaign in recent weeks.
  • GIN1138 said:

Morning PB

One of those crazy days on Twitter where all sorts of rumours and allegations are flying around... Wonder how many people will find themselves being sued by the end of the day?

Too many Tweets make a...

Do you think they might be Finnished?
  • On the Russell Brand rumours would it not be better to wait the details from Channel 4

I did initially dismiss it as who cares about Brand, but maybe wise to see just what the allegations are
    elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

Yes.

Now, now.

To be fair social attitudes in Russia are similar to those of the uk in the 1980s. Dont think the uk was a hellhole in the 1980s
    According to people who saw the Russian army in the 80s and have seen it more recently, the stupid brutality hasn’t changed, certainly.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,603

IanB2 said:

kjh said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

More than 1,000 people in each of Wansbeck, Blyth Valley and North Tyneside have signed a petition saying this:

"I believe that the XL bully is a kind, beautiful natured breed that loves children and people in general, and are very loyal and loving pets."

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/643611
    https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=643611

We are absurdly sentimental about animals in this country.

The breed isn't like that anyway but dogs don't "love children and people in general"; they are pack animals and to the extent they appear to be it's because they see themselves as part of that pack with a clear role in its pecking order, and are loyal to who leads it and feeds them. Sometimes this extends to jealously, and then more basic instincts can kick in, which is why they can attack kids. They won't generally attack the owner unless they are absurdly indisciplined and want to make a play for pack leader.

Either way, basic dog psychology needs to be considered here. It's an animal - not a person with four legs.
    Yes, but that’s dog psychology from the dark ages. As with your politics you seem to be way behind the times. Are you a relic from a bygone age?
    No, it's fact. That's what how dogs are. Dog psychologists describe them as such.

Just because you're personally in love with your dog and blind to it doesn't change the fact.
    No, really it isn’t. All that pack and owner-as-pack-Leader Cesar Milan stuff is widely discredited. Dogs know the difference between humans and other dogs, trust me.
    Interesting. I was unaware, but a quick bit of googling says you are correct. A dog is a domestic animal. A wolf isn't. Just because a the dog has derived from wolves, doesn't make it a wolf. Domestication has changed that. I'll bear that in mind in future when such referenced are made to training our dog. We are considering more advanced training as he is a spectacularly active dog and seems to enjoy puzzles particularly involving searching (probably the springer in him).
    Yes. The idea that the owner is pack Leader and needs to dominate their dog is the traditional form of training; many of us may dimly remember Barbara Woodhouse from our youth, and popularised more recently by Cesar Milan. Extending to punishing the dog when it steps out of line, with the shock collars and choke chains that are slowly being made illegal around the world.

In these more enlightened times, dog psychologists understand that dogs know humans are superior - pretty obvious as we start with almost total control over the key aspects of their lives - and don’t need to be ‘dominated’ to establish the owner as ‘alpha dog’, which is all nonsense. And indeed can be counter-productive, setting up the dog for one day reacting in precisely the violent way that we’re all trying to avoid.

Which isn’t to say that dogs don’t react to people through the prism of their instincts, just as humans often react to dogs as if they are merely little humans. That’s only natural. Yet sharing your life with a creature from another species is both a privilege and a hugely rewarding experience; the closest we will get to interacting with aliens (assuming that as usual Leon is wrong). Finding ways in which a dog can make his or her decisions, as far as possible, is a much better prism through which to see how to build a relationship of give-and-take with a dog. No creature likes to be told what to do all of the time.

Definitely hunt out some good training; there’s tons of stuff you can do - agility is the obvious one but also scent work, man-trailing. My dog has his first man-trailing class next month.
    Hi Ian.

Well I was about to return to lurking, but while I'm here...

Yes, encouraging the dog to make his own decisions and rewarding him for doing so is key to good training. This is why it's best to capture a behaviour rather than e.g. lure or physically encourage it.

But Silvia Trkman is much more clued up than Cesar Milan. She's the best trainer in the world. What her dogs have achieved on the A-frame, for example, the other top trainers thought for decades was impossible.

There are many dog training videos out there, it's true, but most of them will only take you a small part of the way. Karen Pryor's book is good. She started with dolphins. Not that I like her praise for B F Skinner, but anyway.

As for Barbara Woodhouse, her problem is that she became a TV personality and she had to have a USP for the masses. And choke chains it was, which are cruel and the whole punishment (negative reinforcement) approach is rubbish anyway. Sure it works to some extent (see circuses) but cruelty can't be ethically justified and it won't get you to the higher levels because it doesn't hook the dog's intellect.

BUT....before Woodhouse became a TV personality she wrote her autobiography. It mostly covers the time she was in Argentina and it mostly talks about horses. It's much better than the stuff she did on British TV about yanking dogs' necks and "look at me, I bring my arm upwards not downwards when I say 'sit'". I can't recall any cruelty in it whasoever. Well worth a read if you haven't read it already.
    Most of those I know, not Trikman, however. I will look it up.

The other annoying twat is that idiot on Channel 5 (or is it 4), who makes essentially fake TV shows giving the impression he's cured long-standing behaviour issues with a brief intervention, sending all the wrong messages to owners and just playing on people's desire for easy entertainment
  • T

elister said:

elister said:

?

elister said:

elister said:

Sadly Bridgen is deranged. Currently no COVID restrictions in the UK, shops full, footy stadiums

Is the senior govt minister also deranged.

I have always been opposed to HS2.

The environmental destruction caused by the project is unacceptable. And now we discover that it was all for nothing. No high speed trains linking anywhere in the North to That London. Indeed, no high speed trains even reaching London by the looks of it.

Meanwhile all those executives it was supposed to be speeding to their important meetings are sat at home in their keks meeting over Teams instead.

But we cannot reverse the destruction of the ancient woodland.

HS2 was badly miss sold. The real gains are in capacity on the old lines, not shaving a few minutes off from London to Manchester.

You have a point about environmental destruction but at some point, somewhere infrastructure must be built or we really are just in decline.
    You echo the point I made the other day. HS2 is primarily to benefit Home Counties commuters, not Northerners.
    Where do you think the old lines are? Hint, not the Home Counties.
  • Read Ed Dowds work on vaccine injuries. Massive increase in cancers in uk.
    elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

Why has long term sickness risen by 600000 in 2 years. And we woukd be back to normal by now even without a vaccine.
    Be sure COVID is a nasty disease, and many were harmed before vaccines were available. There are likely other factors too, but the vaccine is unlikely vto be the cause.
    Undoubtedly some people did due as a result of the vaccine. That's accepted. But it is likely no more than hundreds, Vs the thousands that were saved and the return to normality.
  • Seems to be an organized campaign on twitter now in support of Russell Brand.

They’re coming for Russell Brand now. He’s a rare voice of reason and can see clearly through the bullshit we are all being spoon fed. He’s vocal and has millions of viewers so therefore a threat. They don’t like it. Get behind him #RussellBrand

https://x.com/angrydadd/status/1702949129268113597?s=20
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,376
    elister said:

elister said:

Ukraine doesnt boder China lol
    Oh it does.
  • elister said:

Seems to be an organized campaign on twitter now in support of Russell Brand.

Organized, eh? Makes you think.
    Vanilla....
  • elister said:

Read Ed Dowds work on vaccine injuries. Massive increase in cancers in uk.

Is this "Ed Dowds" who is an investment specialist and not a doctor?

You might find this link very helpful...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/96/ee/a1/96eea10de6d6f4e51e6775fc7337cf4c.jpg
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,922
    edited September 2023
    malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

Eabhal said:

I was

Sandpit said:

My God, Sunak really is a 🔔 end.

That is an absurdly stupid idea.

The whole thing is pointless if it doesn't run into Euston.
    Actually, it shouldn't run into Euston; it should run into a new terminal between KX-StP, so as to link with Eurostar services without an annoyingly long transfer. But that's another story.
    Yes, the ideal station would be totally underground, and parallel with, or just north of, Euston Rd - perhaps underneath the Library - with exits to both Euston and KX/St.P, and through trains that run Birmingham>LHR>OOC>”London”>Stratford>Ashford>Paris.

Yes it’s going to be expensive, but it’s a once-in-a-century investment and will revolutionise rail travel.
    Absolutely right. HS2 should eventually connect all the major northern cities (Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds) to the European High Speed network, with direct through trains. Anything less is a horrible British fudge. Just do it.
    And GLASGOW
    When he says British he means English. There was never any intention it would reach Scotland, only connection we have is paying for it.
    The SG did get consequentials for it, in the end.

But people routinely forget that Glasgow is one of the UK's most populous urban areas, and would be well served by an express link to London etc.
    Bollox, not been tuppence spent on Scottish rail infrastructure.
    That's on the SG (though, to be fair, there is stuff like Levenmouth happening).

It's Wales where there is some controversy over the consequentials. And I'd argue the north of England on a fairness basis, even though they don't have a devolved financial settlement.
  • elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

Yes.

Now, now.

According to people who saw the Russian army in the 80s and have seen it more recently, the stupid brutality hasn’t changed, certainly.
    Hows Peru these days Malmesbury.
    elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

Yes.

Now, now.

Ha - I’ve made it to The Roster.

Yet another shit government in Peru. They are less competent at stealing than Putin. Though they start a lot less stupid wars that fuck the country up than ol’ Vlad.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,975

This thread is being cancelled after an expose

• elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

Yes.

Now, now.

Ha - I’ve made it to The Roster.

Yet another shit government in Peru. They are less competent at stealing than Putin. Though they start a lot less stupid wars that fuck the country up than ol’ Vlad.
    Some nice easy women over there too lol.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,236

Pagan2 said:

I don't really see why people are paying so much attention to polls....may was 20 points ahead till the election campaign started. When labour and tories publish manifesto's I expect polls to change

You make a good point but then again if we can't discuss polls here, what is PB.com for?
    Discussing the forthcoming Slovak parliamentary election?
    Speaking of which, it's looking quite exciting. The populist left (really a vehicle for ex-PM Fico) narrowly ahead of mainstream liberals and social democrats. Various conservative/nationalists parties some way behind, but no obvious majority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2023_Slovak_parliamentary_election
    Indeed. Complicating matters, the populist left are also pro-Russia, while the social democrats, a recent split from the populist left party, are, as I understand it, mired in corruption.
    Do you have a link to a more detailed discussion? Wikipedia's summary https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Slovakia is uncharacteristically brief on the issues.
    The Wikipedia pages for the individual parties have more details, and there’s a TLDR video on the election at https://youtu.be/m_QMnFOE5uA
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited September 2023

isam said:

isam said:

ClippP said:

I think that Labour's antics in the Mid Beds byelection are putting people off. The top priority is to get rid of this corrupt, incompetent Conservative Government. And yet Labour's approach - a mixture of arrogance and greed - shows that their top priority is not to get the Tories out, but the grab power for themselves. In Mid Beds their priority is to prevent the Lib Dems from winning, rather than to get the Tory out themselves.

This is very much a mistake on their part. If they fail to win an overall majority, and try to start cosying up to the Lib Dems for support, what kind of reaction will they expect? If Labour had any sense at all, they would wind down their campaigning in Mid Beds and concentrate their efforts and resources on Rutherglen and Tamwoth to make sure of those, and leave it to the Lib Dems to put an end to Tory domination in Mid Beds.

Sigh. If we want to play rhetorical games, Labour was and is the obvious challenger in mid-Beds and the LibDem effort from 12% was the spoiler, complete with personal attacks on the Labour candidate. I've not been bothering to make the case since in truth both parties were always going to go for it in the absence of a pact, but this sort of partisan whinge is just silly.

Labour's campaign is now getting serious front-bench engagement (Wes Streeting today) as well as a punishing effort - five canvass sessions plus 7 leaflet rounds today.
    Wes Streeting seems a popular fellow but, if he is a decent bloke, I just can’t figure why he has left a misleading (at best) tweet up from last year, claiming Tories were nursing hangovers from a lockdown party whilst he was having a cancer op.

The party was in 2020 & his op was a year later. Dozens of people have pointed this out yet he has not corrected or deleted the tweet. I don’t want to be having a go at someone who has had a serious illness, but at best he hasn’t noticed, at worst he is weaponising his condition for political point scoring.

https://x.com/wesstreeting/status/1480901993526968328?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Nonsense on stilts. It would be mindless pedantry even if what you say is true, since it would not alter the gist of Wes Streeting's tweet, but in any case Number 10 partied on into 2021. You might remember the contrast drawn at the time between Her Majesty the Queen sitting alone in the chapel mourning the death of Prince Philip, and the two (two!) parties in Downing Street the same evening.
    If that’s true, why would he specifically use the date of his operation? Because he thought it was the same day as the hangovers from the 2020 Garden Party.

I thought politicians were held to account on here for what they said, not given a huge margin of error to be able to crowbar fiction into reality
    There was more than one Downing Street party in more than one year. Even if Streeting had in mind the wrong year, it does not matter since parties extended into the following year anyway. I have mentioned the two parties while the Queen mourned alone, which pictures everyone in the land will remember. Prince Philip died in April 2021. So if Streeting says Number 10 partied in 2021, he is entirely correct, even if he thought he was talking about earlier parties in 2020. Basically, there were lots of parties.
    He’d like you on the jury if he was ever on trial
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,815

elister said:

malcolmg said:

elister said:

What have I missed?

I don't know if he's another bloody anaesthetist, but elister is definitely a yawn.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,087

What am I missing?

I don't know.
    • He may be extrapolating from a single poll (bad Sir Curtice!).
    • He may have a bigger overview than us (good Sir Curtice!).
    • Or it may be simply that the betting odds are skewed by a differential between gamblers. As you know, in EURef the odds were skewed by the fact that Remainer gamblers were wealthier than Leave gamblers and could bet more.
    In this specific instance we know that there are more non-Scottish gamblers (who disproportionately dislike SNP) than Scottish ones (who do the opposite). It is also the case that political gamblers find it very difficult to get to grips with the SNP - see PB's conviction that Kate Forbes was in with a shout in March. We badly need a SNP fan on PB capable of arguing the case and we don't have one.

Consequently if there is a mispricing in effect it may stay up for a long time.

Myself, being risk averse, I'll wait for a couple more polls (and definitely a local one(s)!) before slapping cash down. YMMV and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.