Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Did You Really Mean To Say This? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,719
edited October 2023 in General
Did You Really Mean To Say This? – politicalbetting.com

In case you missed it: The chief executive of BP Bernard Looney has resigned after admitting he had failed to disclose the extent of past personal relationships with colleagues. His departure has rocked the 113-year-old energy group https://t.co/1wQTXl1dwk

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First?
  • Options
    Still cannot get over that letter from Dr Peter Hilton.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    Can't help thinking that if I heard that sort of thing from an anaesthesiologist* I might not feel too jolly about being made unconscious.

*Any one. No particular one in mind.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Not sure if this is true or not but this account has been a reliable source previously. Ukraine hit and damaged another Russian warship yesterday. If it is true then Russia is clearly finding it almost impossible to defend its Black Sea fleet.

👍Experimental "Sea Kid" of the SBU damaged the Russian missile ship "Samum"

Yesterday, the SBU sea drone made a "cotton" attack on the Samum missile ship near the entrance to the Sevastopol Bay. "Sea Kid" hit the rear right part of the Rashist ship, causing significant damage, the ship lost speed.

The Russians had to tow "Samum" for repairs with a large trim to the stern and a list to starboard.

For this attack, the SBU used an experimental model of a marine drone, which is capable of operating in a storm, hiding from detection behind high waves. During the special operation, the height of the waves reached 1.5 - 2 m.

We are waiting for new and bright surprises from the Security Service for the vessels of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation.

https://x.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1702676211296547322?s=20
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,127
    FPT

In this interview by Chris Williamson, Niall Ferguson discusses historical modelling and why it's not a good idea, and instead recommends looking for close historical examples as a better guide. He also expounds on POTUS 2024. Whilst I agree with some of his points and not on others, the talk is interesting. Here it is.

"The Shocking Lessons Of History Everyone Has Forgotten - Niall Ferguson", Chris Williamson, YouTube, 20230902, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-XRR3z23tU , length 58 mins
  • Options
    A grammatical pedant writes: 'Bullying happens' is not in the passive voice.
  • Options
    Inappropriate.

Literally, not appropriate. So, we should strive to prevent things that aren't appropriate from happening.

How does that become:
    "It has always happened, it will always happen, just suck it up losers."
  • Options

People are at their most unguarded when they believe their behaviour genuinely is acceptable and normal; that *they're* the victim because of the - implicitly unfair - criticism.

I wonder whether any former colleagues of his will come forward with their own stories of him in the theatre?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,018
    It was, apparently an 'open secret' at BP.

Couple of other points - another demonstration of how meaningless are corporate slogans:
    ...That Looney appears to have engaged in more than one work-based relationship sends a worrying signal about the blurred lines between work and personal life, which speaks to BP’s corporate culture. A string of work-based relationships is not the message that should be emanating from the corner office of a CEO who oversees a modern company and speaks openly about being guided by values. Looney had said previously that BP’s code of conduct, which includes guidance on organisational culture and challenging inappropriate behaviour, was “at the foundation of all that we do in our roles”...
    (Guardian)

And secondly, a demonstration that whistleblowing can work.p
    ..Looney’s relationships were allegedly raised via BP’s internal whistleblower hotline, OpenTalk. ..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    I can't get my head around a police officer describing a rapist colleague as "a legend," Trump asking "Is it wrong to find your daughter more sexually attractive than your wife?", surgeons wiping their foreheads on womens' breasts, DSK jumping out on a chamber maid like a chimpanzee in rut, members of the Presidents' Club exposing themselves to waitresses.

I honestly can't think of anyone in my circle who behaves like that.
  • Options
    While we're talking about liars.

The casual falsehoods of the GOP’s impeachment inquiry leader
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/09/14/comer-biden-impeachment-inquiry/
  • Options
    European aid to Ukraine now surpasses US contributions – Kiel Institute

European nations, including both EU and non-EU countries, pledged a total of €156 billion in aid to Ukraine, nearly doubling the U.S.'s contribution of less than €70 billion

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1702616998705057967
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

European nations, including both EU and non-EU countries, pledged a total of €156 billion in aid to Ukraine, nearly doubling the U.S.'s contribution of less than €70 billion

Preparing for Inauguration Day 2025
  • Options
    AlistairM said:

Not sure if this is true or not but this account has been a reliable source previously. Ukraine hit and damaged another Russian warship yesterday. If it is true then Russia is clearly finding it almost impossible to defend its Black Sea fleet.

Yesterday, the SBU sea drone made a "cotton" attack on the Samum missile ship near the entrance to the Sevastopol Bay. "Sea Kid" hit the rear right part of the Rashist ship, causing significant damage, the ship lost speed.

The Russians had to tow "Samum" for repairs with a large trim to the stern and a list to starboard.

For this attack, the SBU used an experimental model of a marine drone, which is capable of operating in a storm, hiding from detection behind high waves. During the special operation, the height of the waves reached 1.5 - 2 m.

We are waiting for new and bright surprises from the Security Service for the vessels of the Black Sea Fleet of the Russian Federation.

That's interesting, and will have every large navy in the world *really* worried.

In the same way drones have got every large army in the world *really* worried.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I can't get my head around a police officer describing a rapist colleague as "a legend," Trump asking "Is it wrong to find your daughter more sexually attractive than your wife?", surgeons wiping their foreheads on womens' breasts, DSK jumping out on a chamber maid like a chimpanzee in rut, members of the Presidents' Club exposing themselves to waitresses.

I've seen terrible behaviour from a colleague towards a waitress during a business meal. I think he was trying to impress the clients.

Going away from the non-sexual, I've seen a fair amount of bullying (to various degrees) in the workplace, which is perhaps not as serious a problem as sexual matters, but still important to counter.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Europe is about twice as many people as the US and closer to the conflict. Sounds like non news to me.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nik-Nak from TMWTGG was famous for most of that.

Roger Moore wouldn't go near him off-camera. Said he was diseased.
  • Options
    BP really should have known better than trying to follow the Tory party by appointing loonies as their leader.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    edited September 2023

Sean_F said:

I've seen terrible behaviour from a colleague towards a waitress during a business meal. I think he was trying to impress the clients.

Going away from the non-sexual, I've seen a fair amount of bullying (to various degrees) in the workplace, which is perhaps not as serious a problem as sexual matters, but still important to counter.
    The worst ever behaviour on the part of a friend was his throwing a strop to a waitress, at being served carrots (he loathes them), and we told him not to be an arsehole.

But, then, Malmesbury's post explains it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,723

AlistairM said:

That's interesting, and will have every large navy in the world *really* worried.

Speaking of which -

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2023/09/army-to-showcase-jet-propelled-drone-with-laser-guided-missile/

The drone is an existing model. Heavy drones of this and related types are being using in Ukraine now. Add some launch tubes, duct tape....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,189
    Sean_F said:

I'm not sure that's exactly what happened with DSK.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014

AlistairM said:

War always causes innovation, and this one is no exception.

What must be really worrying governments everywhere, is the number of serious weapons able to be improvised from consumer-grade technology.

Very few people can get hold of Storm Shadow and a plane to launch it, but pretty much everyone can get hold of a large r/c boat and a satellite phone, or a DJI drone, mated to a few kilos of fertiliser or a grenade.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The worst ever behaviour on the part of a friend was his throwing a strop to a waitress, at being served carrots (he loathes them), and we told him not to be an arsehole.

But, then, Malmesbury's post explains it.
    The worst bullying I saw in a workplace was women bullying other women. It was savage stuff.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,189

Nigelb said:

Europe is about twice as many people as the US and closer to the conflict. Sounds like non news to me.
    It is news, because Europe has taken time to step up.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

It is news, because Europe has taken time to step up.
    Also that the cost of supporting Ukraine is a major political issue in the US, when domestic emergencies - such as the fires in Hawaii - are seen as not being treated with the same respect by those in charge.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

Hmmm, I think you're wrong here.

"X bullies Y" would be an example of active voice. "Bullying happens" does sound like passive voice to me.

X threw the ball to Y
    The ball was thrown to Y
    Ball-throwing happened

The last two seem to me like distinct examples of passive voice. Does agreement happen?
  • Options
    It is obliged, not 'obligated' - he deserves the push for that.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

"X bullies Y" would be an example of active voice. "Bullying happens" does sound like passive voice to me.

X threw the ball to Y
    The ball was thrown to Y
    Ball-throwing happened

The last two seem to me like distinct examples of passive voice. Does agreement happen?
    Isn't "Bullying happened" active but intransitive?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

Nigelb said:

It's news when Mr Trump and the nutty sections of the GOP are maundering on about how Europe is not pulling its weight relative to the USA.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

Sean_F said:

Nik-Nak from TMWTGG was famous for most of that.

Roger Moore wouldn't go near him off-camera. Said he was diseased.
    Yes, Hervé Villechaize was a sex addict in real life, who would sleep with several prostitutes a night (although some refused his custom) and would proposition female colleagues on set. Killed himself at 50, apparently because he was living in excruciating pain.
  • Options
    God, I love family values Conservatives.

EXCLUSIVE: Married South Dakota governor Kristi Noem and Trump advisor Corey Lewandowski have been having a years-long clandestine affair

DailyMail.com uncovered evidence of Lewandowski and Noem's fling: Dozens of trips that mixed business with pleasure, private flights and luxury resort stays

The pair met up Friday for a Trump campaign rally in Rapid City, South Dakota, but were careful to have no public interaction – despite being close for years

The two were first suspected of being romantically involved in 2021, but Noem scornfully dismissed the story as 'total garbage and a disgusting lie' at the time

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12509093/Kristin-Noem-Corey-Lewandowski-secret-affair.html
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

X threw the ball to Y
    The ball was thrown to Y
    Ball-throwing happened

"to happen" is intransitive, but the way I understand it the passive voice creates distance between the action described and the subject that performed the action. In fact, the main action becomes a secondary verb or non-verb. "The ball was thrown"... the main verb here is "was".

I'm not fully convinced I'm right here, but even if I'm wrong I think we're way off the point. The way of speaking here performs the same action as the passive voice in depersonalising and distancing the actor from the action, which is to tacitly to partially absolve the perpetrator. Cyclefree's point stands whether or not it's technically the passive voice (I still think it is!)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

What must be really worrying governments everywhere, is the number of serious weapons able to be improvised from consumer-grade technology.

Very few people can get hold of Storm Shadow and a plane to launch it, but pretty much everyone can get hold of a large r/c boat and a satellite phone, or a DJI drone, mated to a few kilos of fertiliser or a grenade.
    You say "pretty much everyone" but I reckon I could get hold of an old bathtub and a few shovelfuls of cow shit from a nearby farm at best.

Don't put me in charge of the resistance when HYUFD leads the tanks north of the Central Belt.
  • Options

EXCLUSIVE: Married South Dakota governor Kristi Noem and Trump advisor Corey Lewandowski have been having a years-long clandestine affair

DailyMail.com uncovered evidence of Lewandowski and Noem's fling: Dozens of trips that mixed business with pleasure, private flights and luxury resort stays

The pair met up Friday for a Trump campaign rally in Rapid City, South Dakota, but were careful to have no public interaction – despite being close for years

The two were first suspected of being romantically involved in 2021, but Noem scornfully dismissed the story as 'total garbage and a disgusting lie' at the time

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12509093/Kristin-Noem-Corey-Lewandowski-secret-affair.html

Corey Lewandowski is probably the most odious person I have ever met. Governor Noem clearly has dodgy taste in men.
  • Options
    The Russians have said that mobilised forces won't return home until the end of the special military operation. There will be no rotation.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,091

It’s like the gay hating preacher who was regularly blowing two male escorts .
  • Options
    Love your stuff Cyclefree, but 'The last 2 days have given us 2 examples...'?! Oh dear, oh dear.

As I hurtle, with worrying rapidity, through my forties things which, even a few short years ago, would never bother me in the slightest now really grind my gears. Cars parking on grass verges, for example. Why, oh why must moronic motorists make grass verges resemble Passchendaele? Summary execution is too good for them.

One other minor, totally and utterly inconsequential thing that gets my blood pressure rocketing, that instantly gets the molars grinding away, is the use of the number two when the word 'two' should be, to my befuddled mind at least, always, always be used in cases like this.

No doubt some fancy-pants will be able to cite Shakespeare or some other venerable wordsmith doing it in an original manuscript - '2 be or not 2 be' in a spidery hand on some yellowed parchment somewhere perhaps, to give this travesty a sheen of respectability, a gossamer thin legitimacy but I don't care. I will not engage. I am embracing my incipient fogeyism, drawing a line in the sand, choosing this particular hillock to expire on, and issuing a firm 'No, Cyclefree, no!'

It's not that I'm angry, just disappointed. It'll probably cast an unwelcome pall over the entire weekend. I hope you can spend some quiet time to contemplate precisely what you have done.
  • Options
    With democracy on the ballot, the mainstream press must change its ways

US news organizations have turned Biden’s age into a scandal and continue to cover Trump as an entertaining side show
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/15/trump-biden-mainstream-politics-news-coverage
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

You say "pretty much everyone" but I reckon I could get hold of an old bathtub and a few shovelfuls of cow shit from a nearby farm at best.

Don't put me in charge of the resistance when HYUFD leads the tanks north of the Central Belt.
    In Ukraine, every drone hobbyist has become a weapons producer.

Something like the staggering program setup by amateur telescope makers in the US to provide optical components to US military. Little known, this did stuff like virtually all the roof prisms in the Norden bombsights. And nearly all of the optics in the B29 optical fire control system. To name but a few.
  • Options
    Laurence Fox goes full; "Go back where you came from."

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1702695648083022218/photo/1
  • Options

Possibly relevant to anyone foolish enough to get involved in the quadrennial Veepstakes as Noem is about 8.2 on Betfair and may be a sell. I say "may" because this probably isn't disqualifying now, particularly with Trump. But it probably doesn't help her.
  • Options

Is he a London Mayor wannabe this time round?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

X threw the ball to Y
    The ball was thrown to Y
    Ball-throwing happened

I don't know the grammar but the important point is that it's impersonal. The event is described as happening without relation to either the bully or the victim.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Those Russian ships at dry dock - Entente cordiale.

We hang the British "Storm Shadow" under the left wing of the Su-24M, the French "Scalp" - under the right))
    https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1702683456612782150
  • Options
    Farooq said:

X threw the ball to Y
    The ball was thrown to Y
    Ball-throwing happened

No, the passive voice is simply when the grammatical subject is used as the logical object. In the passive 'He was bitten by the dog', 'He' is the grammatical subject but is the logical object because it names the entity being affected by the action of the verb. If 'Bullying happens' was in the passive voice you'd be able to change it to an active construction, but you can't. 'Fred happens bullying' is obvious nonsense.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

Something like the staggering program setup by amateur telescope makers in the US to provide optical components to US military. Little known, this did stuff like virtually all the roof prisms in the Norden bombsights. And nearly all of the optics in the B29 optical fire control system. To name but a few.
    Yep. If I were Ukranian, that’s exactly what I’d be doing right now, flying the drones.

(Mostly because, while I’m interested in aviation and can fly a plane, I’m too old and unfit for military flight school or infantry, haven’t fired a gun in decades, and quite like the idea of doing something that’s useful but slightly remote from the front line).
  • Options
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

It's news when Mr Trump and the nutty sections of the GOP are maundering on about how Europe is not pulling its weight relative to the USA.
    Trump's perception is unlikely to be much swayed by facts - and to the extent that it is, he'll believe his pressure was the crucial factor.
  • Options

You snowflake
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,367
    edited September 2023
    Carnyx said:

I don't think his Reclaim Party has announced a candidate and he's not said he's going for it, but obviously he stood in 2021 so it wouldn't be all that surprising.

The deposit (which he'd lose) is £10k plus the expenses of actually running a campaign might give pause for thought, but they pulled in a surprisingly high £700k in income last year so you'd think he'll have a go (I mean, they spent a similar amount so aren't sitting on piles of cash, but they clearly have some ability to raise money to campaign).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

US news organizations have turned Biden’s age into a scandal and continue to cover Trump as an entertaining side show
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/sep/15/trump-biden-mainstream-politics-news-coverage

OK, Biden is quite old, but so is Trump and Trump is overweight and less healthy.
    Biden can at least string a sentence together, Trump keeps interrupting himself.
    So, on a more serious note, will Trump get imprisoned for his many crimes?
    I'm wondering whether he may be offered an 'illness' get out - and if so is he sane enough to take it?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

I don't think his Reclaim Party has announced a candidate and he's not said he's going for it, but obviously he stood in 2021 so it wouldn't be all that surprising.

The deposit (which he'd lose) is £10k plus the expenses of actually running a campaign might give pause for thought, but they pulled in a surprisingly high £700k in income last year so you'd think he'll have a go (I mean, they spent a similar amount so aren't sitting on piles of cash, but they clearly have some ability to raise money to campaign).
    Even if they don't do any campaigning they have to pay for, £10k for the publicity boost of having a candidate looks like a reasonable blag.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,101
    "Ban will not stop dog attacks - animal groups

The UK's leading animal groups have issued a joint statement saying that banning American bully XLs "will sadly not stop" dog attacks.

The Dog Control Coalition is made up of RSPCA, Blue Cross, Battersea, Dogs Trust, Hope Rescue, Scottish SPCA, The Kennel Club and British Veterinary Association.

It's urging the government "to tackle the root issue by dealing with the unscrupulous breeders, who are putting profit before welfare, and the irresponsible owners whose dogs are dangerously out of control".

The coalition claims the proposed ban will have "significant impacts on owners, the animal welfare sector, vets, law enforcement and the public".

It adds that it's "deeply concerned about the lack of data" behind the decision to ban these types of dogs."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66818862
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Farooq said:

Sandpit said:

AlistairM said:

Yep. If I were Ukranian, that’s exactly what I’d be doing right now, flying the drones.

(Mostly because, while I’m interested in aviation and can fly a plane, I’m too old and unfit for military flight school or infantry, haven’t fired a gun in decades, and quite like the idea of doing something that’s useful but slightly remote from the front line).
    Too old and unfit for military service? Not for the Russians!

If you were a drunkard, a dwarf, have learning difficulties or are in prison, then the Russian army will welcome you with open casket! (*)

(*) Or mobile crematorium. Or meat cube...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The UK's leading animal groups have issued a joint statement saying that banning American bully XLs "will sadly not stop" dog attacks.

The Dog Control Coalition is made up of RSPCA, Blue Cross, Battersea, Dogs Trust, Hope Rescue, Scottish SPCA, The Kennel Club and British Veterinary Association.

It's urging the government "to tackle the root issue by dealing with the unscrupulous breeders, who are putting profit before welfare, and the irresponsible owners whose dogs are dangerously out of control".

The coalition claims the proposed ban will have "significant impacts on owners, the animal welfare sector, vets, law enforcement and the public".

It adds that it's "deeply concerned about the lack of data" behind the decision to ban these types of dogs."

It's dog racism. Plain and simple. You see a shape of dog and jump to conclusions irrespective of the individual dogs behaviour.

It's wrong.
    Responsible and innocent owners and dogs are likely to be the people who will lose most with this approach.

https://x.com/hectorcrosbie/status/1702638495603347651
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Singapore at night looks awesome. It was a decade ago that I went on holiday there for the F1 - and a month later, I met my wife!

Was she driving the Williams that year, and therefore had only just finished the race? ;)
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's dog racism. Plain and simple. You see a shape of dog and jump to conclusions irrespective of the individual dogs behaviour.

It's wrong.
    Responsible and innocent owners and dogs are likely to be the people who will lose most with this approach.

I'm nervous around large dogs, for reasons I've mentioned previously. When I'm out walking and running, I've occasionally had dogs come running and yapping at me, or jumping up at me with muddy paws. Something the owners often say to me is: "Oh, he's not normally like that!"

Now, either I attract mad dogs, or the owners have a blindness to their dogs poor behaviour.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429
    Much pedantry is happening on this thread.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    Andy_JS said:

It's easier to ban dogs with dangerous tendencies than to preemptively identity and ban people who will turn out to be dangerous owners.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Andy_JS said:

It's easier to ban dogs with dangerous tendencies than to preemptively identity and ban people who will turn out to be dangerous owners.
    It's quite simple then. If a dangerous dog attacks and injures someone, then the dog will be put into doggy jail and the 'dangerous owner' will be shot.

Princess Anne might not be best pleased, though.... ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

Would a responsible owner own a Bully XL? Or an ‘innocent’ one?
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Nigelb said:

OK, Biden is quite old, but so is Trump and Trump is overweight and less healthy.
    Biden can at least string a sentence together, Trump keeps interrupting himself.
    I'm wondering whether he may be offered an 'illness' get out - and if so is he sane enough to take it?
    I don't know how on earth we get there but I can foresee some sort of (implicit) trade whereby Trump avoids jail and the WH24 ballot paper in November avoids Trump.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,539
    There's a phrase, common in the US, that illusrates Cyclefree's central point: "Violence erupted."

It's used when a journalist wants to avoid blaming anyone in particular. For whatever reason.

(Having read many, perhaps too many, popular geology books, and living where I often see volcanos, the phrase always makes me picture a volcano -- which is probably not what the speaker or writer intends me to do.)
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

There's a phrase, common in the US, that illusrates Cyclefree's central point: "Violence erupted."

It's used when a journalist wants to avoid blaming anyone in particular. For whatever reason.

(Having read many, perhaps too many, popular geology books, and living where I often see volcanos, the phrase always makes me picture a volcano -- which is probably not what the speaker or writer intends me to do.)

Mistakes were made etc.

One example of where writing makes something that was completely passive more active is when journalists decide they want to evoke grassroots uproar that's actually just them being editorially against something.

"Fury as Starmer refuses to come clean on Donkey Sanctuary story".
    "Community in uproar as wind farms to be built miles away and out of sight"

The use of "refuses to" in cases where someone simply hasn't done something that nobody expected them to do in the first place is a regular press tactic.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

I'm nervous around large dogs, for reasons I've mentioned previously. When I'm out walking and running, I've occasionally had dogs come running and yapping at me, or jumping up at me with muddy paws. Something the owners often say to me is: "Oh, he's not normally like that!"

Now, either I attract mad dogs, or the owners have a blindness to their dogs poor behaviour.

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

Long years when I ran the family company I used to host European students for a month in the summer, and at some point I would introduce them to the founder of the company, my mother.
    One year when I introduced the student to my parents at their home their Labrador attacked my guest. “Never done anything like that before!” applies.
  • Options

CNN’s “Firery, but mostly peaceful protests” when describing a riot in 2020, deserves special recognition.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=igzNAzcXNBA
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,539
    The Guardian urging US news organizations to attack Trump, and defend Biden makes me think those running the newspaper are unaware of recent poll findings, for example, this one:
    "Members of Generation Z in the U.S. -- those between the ages of 12 and 26 -- generally lack trust in political and societal institutions, according to a new study from Gallup and Walton Family Foundation. Among the institutions rated in the survey, youth express the lowest levels of trust in Congress, the news, the presidency and large technology companies, with one in six or fewer reporting they have “a great deal” or “quite a lot” of trust in each."
    source: https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/510395/gen-voices-lackluster-trust-major-institutions.aspx
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Singapore at night looks awesome. It was a decade ago that I went on holiday there for the F1 - and a month later, I met my wife!

Was she driving the Williams that year, and therefore had only just finished the race? ;)
    The lady driving the WIlliams that year, was the wife of the team’s new shareholder…

Still the last woman to drive an F1 car at a GP weekend.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 845
    The Guardian should have learnt its lesson in Ohio several elections back and keep its nose out of United States politics. It just rebounds back on them.
  • Options
    theakes said:

The Guardian should have learnt its lesson in Ohio several elections back and keep its nose out of United States politics. It just rebounds back on them.

Operation Clark County
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Operation+Clark+County
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Much pedantry is happening on this thread.

Whom would you say is being most pedantic today?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I don't know how on earth we get there but I can foresee some sort of (implicit) trade whereby Trump avoids jail and the WH24 ballot paper in November avoids Trump.
    I suspect we will see Trump in a Georgia jail by March next year
  • Options

The Guardian urging US news organizations to attack Trump, and defend Biden makes me think those running the newspaper are unaware of recent poll findings, for example, this one:
    "Members of Generation Z in the U.S. -- those between the ages of 12 and 26 -- generally lack trust in political and societal institutions, according to a new study from Gallup and Walton Family Foundation. Among the institutions rated in the survey, youth express the lowest levels of trust in Congress, the news, the presidency and large technology companies, with one in six or fewer reporting they have “a great deal” or “quite a lot” of trust in each."
    source: https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gallup/510395/gen-voices-lackluster-trust-major-institutions.aspx

A similar campaign worked EVER so well a few years ago as I recall.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

What about an emotional support salt water crocodile?

#TwoTonsOfCuteness
  • Options
    theakes said:

You means that “Lessons Will Be Learned” should mean lessons will be learned?

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. One careful-ish owner. In need of some TLC.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Mistakes were made etc.

One example of where writing makes something that was completely passive more active is when journalists decide they want to evoke grassroots uproar that's actually just them being editorially against something.

"Fury as Starmer refuses to come clean on Donkey Sanctuary story".
    "Community in uproar as wind farms to be built miles away and out of sight"

The use of "refuses to" in cases where someone simply hasn't done something that nobody expected them to do in the first place is a regular press tactic.
    Also if something hasn't been mentioned it means it hasn't explicitly been ruled out - 'Labour could ban hot tubs and oversized patios'
  • Options
    Saw this. Thought of y'all.

"How to invade France": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luNM61NMP6Q
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

What about an emotional support salt water crocodile?

#TwoTonsOfCuteness
    Crocodile Dundee says hello!
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect we will see Trump in a Georgia jail by March next year
    Jail is the preferred outcome but for now it resides in my 'believe it when I see it' bucket.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,936
    On Dr Hilton

The condemnation of his attitudes has been very vocal and widespread on medical social media. Not least by 55 Anaesthetists and Intensivists at his former Trust:

https://sbuhb.nhs.wales/news/swansea-bay-health-news/consultants-respond-to-retired-doctor-peter-hilton/

Sexual harassment in surgery clearly remains an issue, but those reporting it are taken very seriously in my experience as an investigator.
  • Options
    Botched mansion raid sinks case against Russian billionaire
    Officers admit armed move on sanctioned oligarch was unlawful

A ten-month criminal investigation into London’s last Russian oligarch has collapsed after the National Crime Agency admitted its armed raid on his mansion was unlawful.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russian-oligarch-london-investigation-raid-2023-pmdzmvvjn (£££)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Long years when I ran the family company I used to host European students for a month in the summer, and at some point I would introduce them to the founder of the company, my mother.
    One year when I introduced the student to my parents at their home their Labrador attacked my guest. “Never done anything like that before!” applies.

In over 50 years of canvassing, I've only had a single nip once, and in general tell voters who try to reassure me that it's the humans I worry about, which generally evokes a laugh (they imagine, sometimes correctly, that I'm not talking about them). I'm very sorry for the handful of people who've been attacked, but on the list of things needing urgent government action it comes pretty low down.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

Yet as we saw here earlier, RSPCA pet insurance has no issues discriminating against the breed by refusing to ensure American Bully dogs.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

Yet as we saw here earlier, RSPCA pet insurance has no issues discriminating against the breed by refusing to ensure American Bully dogs.
    That's not a RSPCA tweet??
  • Options
    "Labour backs ban but criticises 'dithering' PM

Labour has reacted to today's announcement by supporting a ban on American bully XL dogs, while also criticising the prime minister for "dithering" over outlawing the cross-breed. Shadow Environment Secretary Steve Reed believes the dogs leave "a trail of destruction in communities up and down the country". "Labour MPs have long called for these dogs to be banned," he adds. "Families will be furious that it has taken this long for Rishi Sunak to finally act. "But, if Rishi Sunak continues to dither, the next Labour government will do the right thing and ban these dogs causing terror.""

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Andy_JS said:

Labour has reacted to today's announcement by supporting a ban on American bully XL dogs, while also criticising the prime minister for "dithering" over outlawing the cross-breed. Shadow Environment Secretary Steve Reed believes the dogs leave "a trail of destruction in communities up and down the country". "Labour MPs have long called for these dogs to be banned," he adds. "Families will be furious that it has taken this long for Rishi Sunak to finally act. "But, if Rishi Sunak continues to dither, the next Labour government will do the right thing and ban these dogs causing terror.""

So fucking typical of Starmer's Labour. "We'd do exactly the same as the Tories. But not like the Tories, because they are bastards. We will be non-bastard Tories."

Colour me underwhelmed.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

If a dog looks threatening, then turn sideways on and don't stare at it. Running triggers their prey drive to chase and staring seems aggressive. Back away slowly. Few can outrun them. Bulldogs and similar will latch on with their jaws, so having something in hand to block them such as backpack or jacket.

My dog is just 6kg and nervous of many bigger dogs, though plays nicely with others such as a Rottweiler cross that he has known since a puppy. His nervousness can make him a bit defensive and even aggressive with big dogs, though never with people.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

They have a blindness to their dog's poor behaviour. I've experienced it a few times when walking along country lanes.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

So fucking typical of Starmer's Labour. "We'd do exactly the same as the Tories. But not like the Tories, because they are bastards. We will be non-bastard Tories."

Colour me underwhelmed.
    I am truly shocked that you are not happy with a Labour spokes person. So out of character!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

It's wrong.

They have a blindness to their dog's poor behaviour. I've experienced it a few times when walking along country lanes.
    There are certainly a lot of owners with poor knowledge of their dog, and of its body language.
  • Options
    A ten-month criminal investigation into London’s last Russian oligarch has collapsed after the National Crime Agency admitted its armed raid on his mansion was unlawful.

Allegations of conspiring to circumvent sanctions, money laundering, fraud and perjury against Mikhail Fridman, 59, have been dropped. The NCA will have to pay damages for trespass, cover Fridman’s legal bills and return seized cash.

The abandonment of the case is an embarrassment for the NCA’s Combating Kleptocracy Cell, which was set up in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to investigate sanctions evasion.

More than 50 officials, including armed police, specialist search teams, Europol officers and a lawyer, took part in the raid on Fridman’s home — the £65 million Athlone House in Highgate, north London — last December.

In court papers the NCA said the mansion was believed to be “the largest property ever searched by UK law enforcement in terms of warrant execution”.....

...The case unravelled as lawyers for Fridman — who moved to the UK in 2014 and helped to set up the LetterOne group, which owns Holland & Barrett — pulled apart the NCA case.

It emerged that a judge had entered the wrong date on the search warrant, writing 2021 instead of 2022, and the document was neither signed by an identifiable NCA officer nor specified the area to be searched.

Material in support of the warrant appeared to have been cut and pasted from a dossier posted on the internet in 2008 to discredit Fridman and alleging he had “historical and ongoing involvement in organised crime”. It is an allegation he totally rejects.

NCA officers claimed Fridman jumped out of a window and attempted to run away but his lawyer testified that CCTV showed him “walking calmly and slowly towards the officers with his arms raised”.

Government lawyers concede the raid was “unlawful and the NCA is liable in damages for trespass to land and goods”, and Fridman is “not currently subject to any NCA criminal investigations of conspiracy to circumvent sanctions”.

His passport has been returned and bail conditions requiring him to report to police twice a week have been dropped.

However, Fridman — who described the invasion of Ukraine as “a tragedy” last year — remains under UK and European Union sanctions as one of the ownership board of Russia’s giant Alfa Bank.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russian-oligarch-london-investigation-raid-2023-pmdzmvvjn
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Colour me underwhelmed.
    Starmer and Sunak both share the same delusion: that the system is fundamentally sound and all that is needed in politics is a managerial approach: triage the problems as they arise and fix the ones with most media noise/electoral salience. Neither understand that the problems we have are structural and the tools we have don't work any more.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

It's fairly rare to come across such views without some kind of obscuring language.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Colour me underwhelmed.
    Starmer and Sunak both share the same delusion: that the system is fundamentally sound and all that is needed in politics is a managerial approach: triage the problems as they arise and fix the ones with most media noise/electoral salience. Neither understand that the problems we have are structural and the tools we have don't work any more.
    I think many of our problems can be dealt with through a competent managerial approach. I agree there are structural problems as well which require more, but significant improvements which will be felt will still be possible through the managerial approach.

The problem of course with radical solutions even for radical problems is that if you get it wrong the results are even more disastrous. And since radical solutions are usually ideologically based not evidence based they go wrong more often than not.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Colour me underwhelmed.
    I am truly shocked that you are not happy with a Labour spokes person. So out of character!
    Enjoy Starmer's take on a Tory government.
  • Options

Allegations of conspiring to circumvent sanctions, money laundering, fraud and perjury against Mikhail Fridman, 59, have been dropped. The NCA will have to pay damages for trespass, cover Fridman’s legal bills and return seized cash.

The abandonment of the case is an embarrassment for the NCA’s Combating Kleptocracy Cell, which was set up in the wake of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine to investigate sanctions evasion.

More than 50 officials, including armed police, specialist search teams, Europol officers and a lawyer, took part in the raid on Fridman’s home — the £65 million Athlone House in Highgate, north London — last December.

In court papers the NCA said the mansion was believed to be “the largest property ever searched by UK law enforcement in terms of warrant execution”.....

...The case unravelled as lawyers for Fridman — who moved to the UK in 2014 and helped to set up the LetterOne group, which owns Holland & Barrett — pulled apart the NCA case.

It emerged that a judge had entered the wrong date on the search warrant, writing 2021 instead of 2022, and the document was neither signed by an identifiable NCA officer nor specified the area to be searched.

Material in support of the warrant appeared to have been cut and pasted from a dossier posted on the internet in 2008 to discredit Fridman and alleging he had “historical and ongoing involvement in organised crime”. It is an allegation he totally rejects.

NCA officers claimed Fridman jumped out of a window and attempted to run away but his lawyer testified that CCTV showed him “walking calmly and slowly towards the officers with his arms raised”.

Government lawyers concede the raid was “unlawful and the NCA is liable in damages for trespass to land and goods”, and Fridman is “not currently subject to any NCA criminal investigations of conspiracy to circumvent sanctions”.

His passport has been returned and bail conditions requiring him to report to police twice a week have been dropped.

However, Fridman — who described the invasion of Ukraine as “a tragedy” last year — remains under UK and European Union sanctions as one of the ownership board of Russia’s giant Alfa Bank.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russian-oligarch-london-investigation-raid-2023-pmdzmvvjn

Lots of little errors and unnecessary, easily disprovable lies that build and build.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Colour me underwhelmed.
    The same as the Tories but less bastardy sounds like a winning election platform though, in historical terms, given the party's success over the decades.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706

In over 50 years of canvassing, I've only had a single nip once, and in general tell voters who try to reassure me that it's the humans I worry about, which generally evokes a laugh (they imagine, sometimes correctly, that I'm not talking about them). I'm very sorry for the handful of people who've been attacked, but on the list of things needing urgent government action it comes pretty low down.
    I was bitten once while canvassing by the Alsatian belonging to one of the local GP’s. It wasn’t severe and his nurse wife cleaned and dressed the wound.
    No idea if they voted for us, though.
    I've had a finger completely ripped open down to the bone delivering. Required stitches and the feeling is impaired due to scarring. They got their leaflet but I suspect it was somewhat blood stained. I have also been chased by 2 dobermans but made to the gate just in time.
This discussion has been closed.