Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Did You Really Mean To Say This? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,940

Foxy said:

theakes said:

Stopped at a friends house for a few weeks 30 or so years ago, whilst waiting to move home. They had two Rottweilers, a mother and son. First evening I walked through the door and they came charging at me down the hall, the lady owner shouted "Friend" and they froze, then retreated back to the Kitchen. They were as good as gold with me after that, slept on the floor across my bedroom door and did not budge when I was told to step over them. Then one evening I came back to the house when the owners were out and they sat with me whilst I watched football, one at my feet , the other on the settee next to me.
    This example offers clear support to the RSPCA case about good owners, but of course not everyone will be and stricter controls are obviously necessary.

Compare dogs and kids. Some kids you can be 'good' to, and they will learn good habits and become good members of society. But some kids... however good you are to them, they may turn out to be sh*ts. Whereas some kids have terrible parents, and end up good, despite some hideous experiences.

It's not nature vs nurture; it's both.

It'll be the same with dogs. But if you breed dogs to be bad, a bully, perhaps, the the chances are that nature will mostly overcome nurture.
    I have had dogs all my life, and different breeds, but Mrs Foxy hadn't. She never realised how bred for a purpose dogs were (being more a mad cat lady) so tried to choose by cuteness etc.

Different breeds have different characteristics that cannot be trained out for generations. My current dog is a sight hound and cannot resist chasing small mammals and birds, on the other hand doesn't like to be more than a few metres away as always wants to be by the "hunter". I had a labrador that you couldn't keep out of the water, a terrier who loved to dig, a sheepdog that herded everybody etc.

American Bully's are always going to have fighting instincts very difficult to overcome, so not safe in public.
    Even with breeding in of 'desired' characteristics, you don't necessarily get the desired characteristics as an output. For many farmers, dogs are working animals; yet despite a few hundred years of breeding, you can still get sheepdog pups who are useless around sheep as 'working' dogs. Ditto gundogs; an acquaintance had a gundog who was a great pet, but would run in the opposite direction and hide whenever a gun fired.
    Sure, there always throwbacks who regress to the mean, but breeds are very task specific.
  • Options
    I have used 8" floppy.

But I have not used paper tape or punch cards.

Am I a centrist Dad?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

Evening all. In something of a morose mood, so watching Deep Impact. Disaster movies always do the job and this one is one of the best.

The film is from 1998, released in my last year of university. I watch this and see some of the tech which was Cutting Edge at the time. The computer gear, the websites, saving the asteroid data to a floppy disc to go out in the mail...

You have got to see "WarGames". Eight inch floppies... 😀
    I have used a machine with an 8" floppy drive...
    New-fangled fancy tech. When I started in IT it was paper tape, punched cards and teletypes.
    I worked on an ICL mainframe with an unbelievably huge 192K of memory.
    A little before my time. I would love to get my hands on some old tech for me - a BBC B computer and a copy of Granny's Garden...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    Foxy said:

theakes said:

Stopped at a friends house for a few weeks 30 or so years ago, whilst waiting to move home. They had two Rottweilers, a mother and son. First evening I walked through the door and they came charging at me down the hall, the lady owner shouted "Friend" and they froze, then retreated back to the Kitchen. They were as good as gold with me after that, slept on the floor across my bedroom door and did not budge when I was told to step over them. Then one evening I came back to the house when the owners were out and they sat with me whilst I watched football, one at my feet , the other on the settee next to me.
    This example offers clear support to the RSPCA case about good owners, but of course not everyone will be and stricter controls are obviously necessary.

Compare dogs and kids. Some kids you can be 'good' to, and they will learn good habits and become good members of society. But some kids... however good you are to them, they may turn out to be sh*ts. Whereas some kids have terrible parents, and end up good, despite some hideous experiences.

It'll be the same with dogs. But if you breed dogs to be bad, a bully, perhaps, the the chances are that nature will mostly overcome nurture.
    I have had dogs all my life, and different breeds, but Mrs Foxy hadn't. She never realised how bred for a purpose dogs were (being more a mad cat lady) so tried to choose by cuteness etc.

Different breeds have different characteristics that cannot be trained out for generations. My current dog is a sight hound and cannot resist chasing small mammals and birds, on the other hand doesn't like to be more than a few metres away as always wants to be by the "hunter". I had a labrador that you couldn't keep out of the water, a terrier who loved to dig, a sheepdog that herded everybody etc.

American Bully's are always going to have fighting instincts very difficult to overcome, so not safe in public.

Mm. I used to take a friend's flatcoat retriever for walks - if we were in a group and it split in two it used to get very distressed as it didn't know what to do.

Trouble is some breeds have massive jaws. Staffies for instance. I was once on a walk and one ran up to me and started eating my hand. Very sharp teeth, didn't quite break the skin. Fortunately I didn't panic as I realised it was only a young one overjoyed at the opportunity to play and make friends with me, but even so ... I disengaged myself gently and did express my views to the owner - not loudly or aggressively.
  • Options
    Cracking game on Sky. Sunaks Southampton 1 Foxys Leicester 3. Comedy defending both ends, but especially Saints.
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 596

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

BBC 6 o’clock news report on the rollout of 20MPH speed limits in wales might as well have been written by the Welsh regime and Brake.

To be fair Plaid forced Welsh labour this week into conceding it will keep it under review and allow councils more discretion

There is a lot of anger about it both in the media and social media

One local takeaway has advertised

Be sure to get your hot takeaway by tomorrow

After that it will be cold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley:
    If a bunch of Clarkson-worshiping gammons are getting irate, then it must be a good policy.
    Why would you insult the very many Welsh residents across the political spectrum who disagree with the policy ?
    If they disagree they need to vote out the Welsh government. Isn't that what those of us unhappy with the past 13 years of Tory mis-rule have been constantly told?
    Plaid effectively forced labour into a compromise solution this week, winning a vote on their amendment that the Welsh Government have to keep the policy under review, give local authorities more discretion, and pay for any further alterations

I am not anti 20mph, indeed I support it around schools and congested areas, but to force the whole Principality to default 20mph is causing considerable anger across the political divide especially when it is on roads that 30mph is reasonable
    A review is a big mistake. The opposition forced the same in Edinburgh, and the findings illustrated just how effective the 20mph limits were.

Now the council are using the same report to roll out even more 20mph limits. Woops!
    Isn’t this a bit like lockdown? Does locking down save lives? Yes. Do it, and ignore any other downsides.
    Does a blanket 20mph zone save lives? Yes. Do it, and ignore any potential downsides.

Personally think 20 is right in many built up areas, but depending on the road conditions, where it is etc. Blanket 20mph seems lazy.
    It is not a blanket......it is a default to be aplied under certain circumstances...with an alternative 30mph to be applied with local authority discretion.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,127

viewcode said:

Evening all. In something of a morose mood, so watching Deep Impact. Disaster movies always do the job and this one is one of the best.

The film is from 1998, released in my last year of university. I watch this and see some of the tech which was Cutting Edge at the time. The computer gear, the websites, saving the asteroid data to a floppy disc to go out in the mail...

Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?
    If he'd've gone for theaterwide biotoxic and chemical warfare, he would have won.

https://github.com/abs0/wargames/blob/main/wargames.sh
  • Options
    My point on technology was that we have come an awfully long way in 25 years, and some of the advances seemed to happen very quickly and are now slower.

I ordered an iPhone 15 Pro Max earlier. First ever iPoo. Colleague watched me briefly debate Pro vs Pro Max and said "do you even need a 15?"

No of course not. Its basically the same as the 14 which is basically the same as the 13 and so on. All of the great leaps forward are in the past.

What is next? 6G making the tinternet even quicker? Meh. We can't make screens any higher resolution as we already can't see the difference, and folding screens are a fad. Roll-up screens? Holo screens? What comes next?
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,017
    edited September 2023

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

BBC 6 o’clock news report on the rollout of 20MPH speed limits in wales might as well have been written by the Welsh regime and Brake.

To be fair Plaid forced Welsh labour this week into conceding it will keep it under review and allow councils more discretion

If a bunch of Clarkson-worshiping gammons are getting irate, then it must be a good policy.
    Why would you insult the very many Welsh residents across the political spectrum who disagree with the policy ?
    If they disagree they need to vote out the Welsh government. Isn't that what those of us unhappy with the past 13 years of Tory mis-rule have been constantly told?
    Plaid effectively forced labour into a compromise solution this week, winning a vote on their amendment that the Welsh Government have to keep the policy under review, give local authorities more discretion, and pay for any further alterations

I am not anti 20mph, indeed I support it around schools and congested areas, but to force the whole Principality to default 20mph is causing considerable anger across the political divide especially when it is on roads that 30mph is reasonable
    A review is a big mistake. The opposition forced the same in Edinburgh, and the findings illustrated just how effective the 20mph limits were.

Now the council are using the same report to roll out even more 20mph limits. Woops!
    Isn’t this a bit like lockdown? Does locking down save lives? Yes. Do it, and ignore any other downsides.
    Does a blanket 20mph zone save lives? Yes. Do it, and ignore any potential downsides.

Personally think 20 is right in many built up areas, but depending on the road conditions, where it is etc. Blanket 20mph seems lazy.
    The problem the anti-20mph campaigners have is that child pedestrian casualties tend to happen uniformly across neighbourhoods, not just outside schools.

So the data supports blanket 20mph. It's also cheaper to implement, easier for drivers to understand, and induces a "new normal". It increases journey times by only a marginal amount, and that's before you take into account reduced collisions and road closures.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

8" floppy drives and no hard drive.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

New-fangled fancy tech. When I started in IT it was paper tape, punched cards and teletypes.
    I also used paper tape...
    Me too ... wrote a program to run calculations for my physical chemistry refractive index practicals,* which was more than almost any of the other students could do.

*To five significant figures, ISTR. Which was a bit beyond my trusty British Thornton slide rule. The nect week I went out and bought a pocket calculator. 1977.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Eabhal said:

A young woman has been killed cycling in north-west London.

She was in collision with a car in Harrow Weald, at the junction of College Hill Road and Kenton Lane, before 9am on Friday.

She was rushed to hospital but did not survive her injuries.

The woman, who was in her mid-twenties, is the fourth person to die cycling in London in 2023, the third in collision with a vehicle.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/harrow-weald-cyclist-death-junction-police-london-b1107407.html

A minor issue is how the media report this stuff. She was hit by a driver.
    No, she was hit by a car being driven by the driver. The driver will most probably be responsible, utimately the courts may have to determine that.

In the proposed future world of driverless cars, who would be responsible?
    "Knife stabs man outside pub"
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

theakes said:

Mm. I used to take a friend's flatcoat retriever for walks - if we were in a group and it split in two it used to get very distressed as it didn't know what to do.

Trouble is some breeds have massive jaws. Staffies for instance. I was once on a walk and one ran up to me and started eating my hand. Very sharp teeth, didn't quite break the skin. Fortunately I didn't panic as I realised it was only a young one overjoyed at the opportunity to play and make friends with me, but even so ... I disengaged myself gently and did express my views to the owner - not loudly or aggressively.
    Lots of dogs don't like their people to break up and go different places. It is very un-doglike. Packs should stick together.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

On topic, I think this just demonstrates why the culture war anti-trans nonsense is damaging and dangerous. The threat to women is predatory men. Always has been. Still is. Worse is when men in power think their power extends into being able to "grab them by the pussy".

As the father of a 12 year-old daughter, I get rather wound up by such attitudes.

Indeed. Alas one cannot tell the difference between those men who are predatory and those who aren't. If only one could, life for women would be a lot easier. But one clue is men who won't respect women's boundaries (or even their right to have boundaries) or men like this doctor who thinks women should learn to put up with male misbehaviour. He may not have misbehaved himself but Edmund Burke's dictum applies.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,813

viewcode said:

Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEFCON_(video_game)
  • Options

Evening all. In something of a morose mood, so watching Deep Impact...

Tasha Yar is Leeloo Sobieski's mum in that. I think Toby Ziegler is Frodo's dad.
  • Options

My point on technology was that we have come an awfully long way in 25 years, and some of the advances seemed to happen very quickly and are now slower.

I ordered an iPhone 15 Pro Max earlier. First ever iPoo. Colleague watched me briefly debate Pro vs Pro Max and said "do you even need a 15?"

No of course not. Its basically the same as the 14 which is basically the same as the 13 and so on. All of the great leaps forward are in the past.

What is next? 6G making the tinternet even quicker? Meh. We can't make screens any higher resolution as we already can't see the difference, and folding screens are a fad. Roll-up screens? Holo screens? What comes next?

It checks your botty whnen you go to the loo, tests the No 1 and No 2, and does a pic of your anus to confirm your identity. Vide the Ig Nobels this morning.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

A little before my time. I would love to get my hands on some old tech for me - a BBC B computer and a copy of Granny's Garden...
    You can play it here, along with loads of other BBC Micro games :)

https://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=3575
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

theakes said:

Even with breeding in of 'desired' characteristics, you don't necessarily get the desired characteristics as an output. For many farmers, dogs are working animals; yet despite a few hundred years of breeding, you can still get sheepdog pups who are useless around sheep as 'working' dogs. Ditto gundogs; an acquaintance had a gundog who was a great pet, but would run in the opposite direction and hide whenever a gun fired.
    Sure, there always throwbacks who regress to the mean, but breeds are very task specific.
    Our dog is part collie and when younger used to try and herd our cats ......

Anyway, it's very cool here, it's dark and so I shall take myself off to a warm bed.

Night all.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,447
    edited September 2023
    Eabhal said:

Taz said:

It is one thing applying it to a City a very different proposition applying it to a country (principality)

And by the way, it wasn't the opposition as Labour and Plaid have a signed a cooperation agreement in the Senedd

It passed 38 - 15 and is explained here by the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-66802342
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

Wait, no you can't, the company that made it are still enforcing their copyright! :(
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

Farooq said:

Taz said:

That's a pretty stupid advert to be honest. Once that limit is in place, they certainly won't want people to think that ordering from them will get you a cold takeaway, even if it's true, which it probably isn't.
    It is satire and is causing great mirth
    You folk in North Wales know how to have fun
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115
    AnneJGP said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

Much the same here. Assembly languages and machine code. Great fun.

Good evening, everybody.
    Amstrad 464 anyone?
    When we had the hurrah over Y2K all sorts of kit turned up in the hospital trust I worked for.
  • Options
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Long years when I ran the family company I used to host European students for a month in the summer, and at some point I would introduce them to the founder of the company, my mother.
    One year when I introduced the student to my parents at their home their Labrador attacked my guest. “Never done anything like that before!” applies.

In over 50 years of canvassing, I've only had a single nip once, and in general tell voters who try to reassure me that it's the humans I worry about, which generally evokes a laugh (they imagine, sometimes correctly, that I'm not talking about them). I'm very sorry for the handful of people who've been attacked, but on the list of things needing urgent government action it comes pretty low down.
    I was bitten once while canvassing by the Alsatian belonging to one of the local GP’s. It wasn’t severe and his nurse wife cleaned and dressed the wound.
    No idea if they voted for us, though.
    I've had a finger completely ripped open down to the bone delivering. Required stitches and the feeling is impaired due to scarring. They got their leaflet but I suspect it was somewhat blood stained. I have also been chased by 2 dobermans but made to the gate just in time.
    Reading this sort of thing makes me feel the lightweight I am. I'm a Labour member but my campaigning hasn't extended beyond filling envelopes and manning a tombola.
    I wasn’t campaigning for Labour. So don’t feel too bad.
    Back in the day I had the dobermans set on me as well - broke my personal 50 yard record by quite some way. I've had dogs come to the door while I deliver but if you do a round regularly, you get to know the "dog" houses and plan accordingly. I just wonder how the dog feels slamming itself into the door every time there's movement - subtle it isn't.
    A friend had a Labrador which by sone genetic mutation had a far deeper voice than normal. It didn't slam the door or anything, just bark to say someone was at the door. Of course if the house got burgled, the useless mutt would lick the burglar to death. But boy, it sounded like the Hound of the Baskervilles from outside. Must have intimidated a few leafleters in its time.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

On topic, I think this just demonstrates why the culture war anti-trans nonsense is damaging and dangerous. The threat to women is predatory men. Always has been. Still is. Worse is when men in power think their power extends into being able to "grab them by the pussy".

As the father of a 12 year-old daughter, I get rather wound up by such attitudes.

Indeed. Alas one cannot tell the difference between those men who are predatory and those who aren't. If only one could, life for women would be a lot easier. But one clue is men who won't respect women's boundaries (or even their right to have boundaries) or men like this doctor who thinks women should learn to put up with male misbehaviour. He may not have misbehaved himself but Edmund Burke's dictum applies.
    The problem is when people start trying to impose absolutes. People generally shouldn't have relationships with people they work with. I have seen such relationships become a horrible mess for the two, their colleagues, their organisation.

But the flip side is that for many people, a work relationship is their most accessible. And an approach from a man to a female colleague - or the other way round - doesn't have to be predatory. But so often is.

The doctor is one example. There are others. Was talking earlier to my padawan learner about dinosaurs in our industry. How when I first started work in it the first client I went to see bemoaned my presence as the company "used to employ dolly birds as reps".

Such attitudes are largely dead. Happily.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

Bless You!!!!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

theakes said:

Lots of dogs don't like their people to break up and go different places. It is very un-doglike. Packs should stick together.
    Yes our pointer gets very anxious if Mrs. P and I go separate ways on a walk. OTOH he's happy to be a couple of hundred metres ahead of us if given the chance.
  • Options
    Oh good. Drunks have gotten on the train. Happy place dissolves... ☹️
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

It is one thing applying it to a City a very different proposition applying it to a country (principality)

And by the way, it wasn't the opposition as Labour and Plaid have a signed a cooperation agreement in the Senedd

It's not being applied to the whole of Wales. Just your urban areas.

Yep, Labour are being smart. They know the review will show the 20mph limits are successful, allowing them to implement even more road safety measures in the future.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    XL Bully sob stories on BBC.

Ms Towner, who lives in Clacton-on-Sea in Essex, says Coco is well behaved around her 18-month-old daughter.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,039
    Penddu2 said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

It is not a blanket......it is a default to be aplied under certain circumstances...with an alternative 30mph to be applied with local authority discretion.
    Welcome to Tory/Plaid/LibDem/Independent* (*delete as appropriate) council area. You are now permitted to drive at 30mph.
  • Options

Well, if you want your mobile to sip even less juice, and hence be better for the environment, you could always choose a phone with Mrs J's circuitry in it. ;)

It's been interesting to see how batter capacity has slowly increased over the last decade, yet phones do so much more and have not lost too much battery life - or even gained it. That's down to some really good chip design; not just in the processor, but also ancillaries.

(Though the environmental advantage you get from buying a slightly more efficient phone is more than a little offset by the environmental damage caused by the idiocy of those who buy a new phone every year...)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Pulpstar said:

Ms Towner, who lives in Clacton-on-Sea in Essex, says Coco is well behaved around her 18-month-old daughter.

I hope they interviewed her neighbours for their views as well.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Yep, Labour are being smart. They know the review will show the 20mph limits are successful, allowing them to implement even more road safety measures in the future.
    It applies to the whole of Wales and is the first country to mandate it

There are going to be a considerable number of exceptions, and as it is applied more will be agreed by LA's despite your fervour

20mph have their place but so do 30mph
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,707

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

theakes said:

Yes our pointer gets very anxious if Mrs. P and I go separate ways on a walk. OTOH he's happy to be a couple of hundred metres ahead of us if given the chance.
    If we separate on a walk our dog won't move. We just can't do it. If one of us has to go back to get something the other has to wait. So frustrating.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This reminds me of this rather understated Guardian piece some weeks back:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2023/aug/16/the-alarming-rise-of-american-bully-xl-dogs-if-one-gets-hold-of-you-youre-in-trouble

'Many owners can’t imagine their pets becoming killers. Daren bought his two American bully XL dogs, siblings Elvis and Priscilla, when they were eight weeks old, after studying the breed for two years. Now two and half years old, they weigh about 68kg each, or roughly twice as much as a labrador.

“They’re just beautiful dogs,” Daren says. “They are a big, strong, muscular dog … so powerful. It has got to the point now where they’re trying to ban the breed and everyone’s thinking: ‘Oh no, you’ve got an XL bully – that dog is an absolute lunatic.’ But I would be more frightened of my dogs licking you to death.” [...]

Daren says he takes his dogs to a caravan park every summer, where they have become well-known to the families who holiday there. “All my dogs want to do is play. My dogs have been around kids, my nieces and nephews, and they’ve never batted an eyelid, not a growl or a snarl.”'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

... so far ☹️
  • Options

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

theakes said:

My Podengo was quite stressed on the Isle of Wight on the beach in the summer. Some of the party went for a swim, some stayed above the high tide mark, just 50 metres inland. The dog shuttled between the two parties alerting us to this intolerable situation by yelping, until we gathered as a group once more. He settled down as job done.
  • Options

Well, if you want your mobile to sip even less juice, and hence be better for the environment, you could always choose a phone with Mrs J's circuitry in it. ;)

It's been interesting to see how batter capacity has slowly increased over the last decade, yet phones do so much more and have not lost too much battery life - or even gained it. That's down to some really good chip design; not just in the processor, but also ancillaries.

(Though the environmental advantage you get from buying a slightly more efficient phone is more than a little offset by the environmental damage caused by the idiocy of those who buy a new phone every year...)
    I just wish my phone wasn't out of updates, else I'd never buy a new one!

Now looking for a new one, with lifetime of updates the most important single factor.
  • Options

I have used 8" floppy.

But I have not used paper tape or punch cards.

Am I a centrist Dad?

I remember part of my job in the 1970s was, as I passed the airport on my way home, to deliver the punched and verified cards to the airfreight office to be delivered and processed overnight at head office, which was near Heathrow, and to collect the printout from the airport in the morning.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

192k? That were luxury we only dreamed of. I spent my first year as a programmer (1981) amending batch programs that had to run inside 16k on an ICL 1900 series machine (annoyingly, I can't remember which 1900). If a module got too big it had to be split into <16k modules.
  • Options

AnneJGP said:

Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

Much the same here. Assembly languages and machine code. Great fun.

Good evening, everybody.
    Amstrad 464 anyone?
    When we had the hurrah over Y2K all sorts of kit turned up in the hospital trust I worked for.
    Was it even more ancient than the kit usually used in hospitals?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

There are going to be a considerable number of exceptions, and as it is applied more will be agreed by LA's despite your fervour

Fervour? It's an entitled subset of drivers throwing a big strop. Everyone else is quite relaxed.

30kph (20mph) limits are pretty widespread in Europe. It's not particularly unusual.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ms Towner, who lives in Clacton-on-Sea in Essex, says Coco is well behaved around her 18-month-old daughterdinner.

FTFY.

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Fervour? It's an entitled subset of drivers throwing a big strop. Everyone else is quite relaxed.

30kph (20mph) limits are pretty widespread in Europe. It's not particularly unusual.
    Now now, you mean "the rest of Europe". Might as well wind up the Brexiters properly, with all this furrin stuff to challenge British exceptionalism.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

... so far ☹️
    I'll be honest I barely trust my 16 month old and grandparents border terrier with each other. She must have a particularly well behaved and non grabby toddler to have that level of trust with such an enormous dog.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,524

headhunters are offering Dominic Raab's CV to various City employers in a sign of what could be a frenzied search for new jobs as scores of (mostly) Tory MPs leave Westminster

https://www.ft.com/content/97164016-9f18-4139-8acf-867ff6a52234

That is in any case incorrect, as Butler was deputy to Eden and Macmillan, Curzon was deputy to Bonar Law and Baldwin, and Harcourt was deputy to Gladstone and Rosebery.
  • Options
    Deep Impact. We're at the part where the 16 year old Elijah Wood offers a wedding ring to his high school girlfriend where marrying him is "your only chance to survive". So we're back to Cyclefree's excellent essay again...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,604
    edited September 2023

She was in collision with a car in Harrow Weald, at the junction of College Hill Road and Kenton Lane, before 9am on Friday.

The woman, who was in her mid-twenties, is the fourth person to die cycling in London in 2023, the third in collision with a vehicle.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/harrow-weald-cyclist-death-junction-police-london-b1107407.html

Today crossing the pedestrian crossing outside London Zoo, I was nearly hit by a cyclist when the traffic phase was clearly red, who made no effort to slow down and even berated me for daring to start crossing.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

The vote in the Senedd was 38 - 15 for a sensible compromise

No idea what source you have for suggesting apart from an 'entitled subset' of drivers everyone else is quite relaxed

• Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,091
    Pulpstar said:

They need to call social services and have the child removed. So far those interviewed who own these dogs from hell fit the stereotype of thick , white trash . Earlier they interviewed another of these inbred morons who effectively threatened violence if anyone came around asking about their dog .

I’m not interested in sob stories from those who could have picked countless other breeds but decided to go for this abomination.

• Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    Pulpstar said:

Why on earth would anyone take that risk? I really, really hope that she is right.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Today crossing the pedestrian crossing outside London Zoo, I was nearly hit by a cyclist when the traffic phase was clearly red, who made no effort to slow down and even berated me for daring to start crossing.
    It's a bit strange to respond like that. Are you suggesting that the cyclist killed had it coming to them?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

No idea what source you have for suggesting apart from an 'entitled subset' of drivers everyone else is quite relaxed

The compromise will lead to more 20mph, not less. You've been suckered by some clever politics. The Drake.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Full name: Coco Kinnell
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

It's a bit strange to respond like that. Are you suggesting that the cyclist killed had it coming to them?
    I don't think Sunil is. But neither do you fully know the circumstances of what happened, the causal factors, or the amount of 'blame' that can be put on the relevant parties.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

The compromise will lead to more 20mph, not less. You've been suckered by some clever politics. The Drake.
    Drakeford was forced into it by Plaid and there cannot be more as all 30mph are deemed 20mph and the exceptions already agreed to will not change
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

And it happened to me on another occasion a few years back outside Elephant & Castle tube station. Traffic phase well past red, cyclist nearly hit me.
  • Options

EPG said:

If it's not dominated, it's not increasingly dominated.

Of course one family can't afford to pay for ten million flats. But as long as the family can pay for one house, sorted. And most can, with a mortgage. Another two big chunks will be bought by BTL and social landlords. So, I think the purported problem is miscalibrated.

As a broad generalisation, we can build upwards (yes, tall buildings with lots of flats) or outwards (goodbye Green Belt). Most countries in the West build up, far more than we do.

Of course there are issues of maintenance and nearby facilities asnd connections, and people who really want a nice detached house and garden won't be satisfied. But if the choice is an affordable good modern flat with a good view or a crumbling semi, enough people will decide on the former.
    If you work out the population of the planet vs the land area, we get about 4.6 acres each. If you say that only 25% of the land area of the planet is habitable, that's still a acre each, if we all live alone. We currently cram in 15 to 20 new homes on an acre.

The problem is not that people desire to live in nice detached houses and gardens - there is room for everyone on the planet to do that and more. The problem is that the UK has too many people (~2 per acre, 8x the global average) and this largely is because governments of every stripe have been running an immigration ponzi scheme to try and prop up the economy for over 50 years.

The only viable long-term solution is to target net zero or below immigration, not to pack people together on top of each other in foul boxes like battery hens. It will cause some economic pain when it first happens, but ever year we import another 600k people for whom we have no room the problem just gets worse and worse.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Full name: Coco Kinnell
    Is the Dad’s name Fu Kinnell?
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,337

Eabhal said:

And it happened to me on another occasion a few years back outside Elephant & Castle tube station. Traffic phase well past red, cyclist nearly hit me.
    So you've been "nearly hit" by a cyclist twice in several years? What are you trying to say? Do you think there's anyone on the planet who, say, commutes to work by bicycle, who isn't "nearly hit" by a motorist about twice a week? I suppose it's one of those "man bites dog" stories.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Drakeford was forced into it by Plaid and there cannot be more as all 30mph are deemed 20mph and the exceptions already agreed to will not change
    The Drake moves (slowly) in mysterious ways.

Incidentally, the top speed of a Mallard is about 60mph.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited September 2023
    ydoethur said:

headhunters are offering Dominic Raab's CV to various City employers in a sign of what could be a frenzied search for new jobs as scores of (mostly) Tory MPs leave Westminster

That is in any case incorrect, as Butler was deputy to Eden and Macmillan, Curzon was deputy to Bonar Law and Baldwin, and Harcourt was deputy to Gladstone and Rosebery.
    Were those formal appointments or just unofficial albeit accurate descriptions? Important point for accuracy of the CV.

Raab for instance was First Secretary of State and acted as a deputy but was not Deputy PM at first, which came later.

So a claim of Deputy PM is different to a claim to be deputy to a PM.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Eabhal said:

So you've been "nearly hit" by a cyclist twice in several years? What are you trying to say? Do you think there's anyone on the planet who, say, commutes to work by bicycle, who isn't "nearly hit" by a motorist about twice a week? I suppose it's one of those "man bites dog" stories.
    Er, are you really suggesting it's OK for cyclists to endanger themselves and others by jumping red lights?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Morals: Everyone tries to pad their CVs, but it's rarely a good idea.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

kamski said:

Eabhal said:

Er, are you really suggesting it's OK for cyclists to endanger themselves and others by jumping red lights?
    It’s an odd response to a story about a cyclist being killed by a driver.

Sort of implies she had it coming.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

ydoethur said:

Morals: Everyone tries to pad their CVs, but it's rarely a good idea.
    Looks like he's on solid ground, frankly, on a technical level. I'd have thought those looking for lawyers would appreciate a technically correct claim, even if in practice it's only because official recognition of the position was very recent and so no other deputies could have achieved it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    theProle said:

EPG said:

If it's not dominated, it's not increasingly dominated.

Of course one family can't afford to pay for ten million flats. But as long as the family can pay for one house, sorted. And most can, with a mortgage. Another two big chunks will be bought by BTL and social landlords. So, I think the purported problem is miscalibrated.

As a broad generalisation, we can build upwards (yes, tall buildings with lots of flats) or outwards (goodbye Green Belt). Most countries in the West build up, far more than we do.

Of course there are issues of maintenance and nearby facilities asnd connections, and people who really want a nice detached house and garden won't be satisfied. But if the choice is an affordable good modern flat with a good view or a crumbling semi, enough people will decide on the former.
    If you work out the population of the planet vs the land area, we get about 4.6 acres each. If you say that only 25% of the land area of the planet is habitable, that's still a acre each, if we all live alone. We currently cram in 15 to 20 new homes on an acre.

The problem is not that people desire to live in nice detached houses and gardens - there is room for everyone on the planet to do that and more. The problem is that the UK has too many people (~2 per acre, 8x the global average) and this largely is because governments of every stripe have been running an immigration ponzi scheme to try and prop up the economy for over 50 years.

The only viable long-term solution is to target net zero or below immigration, not to pack people together on top of each other in foul boxes like battery hens. It will cause some economic pain when it first happens, but ever year we import another 600k people for whom we have no room the problem just gets worse and worse.

If it were that simple, it would be that simple.

The problem isn't so much the numbers but the demographic profile - we are an ageing population and we are not replacing those who are becoming economically inactive through our own actions - we import people in effect like any other commodity to fulfill a need or a demand.

The only way the supply of cheap labour can meet the demand for economic growth currently is by augmenting the labour supply via immigration.

To reduce the numbers coming in, as we've seen, leads to shortages and wage inflation as industries chase a diminishing supply of labour (both skilled and unskilled and even professional).

You can try to make those in work work longer - deferring the state pension is one way but for many the pension is in the property asset and once that's been released the state pension is just a top up.

How to resolve this ? I'm tempted to say if there were an easy or simple answer, we'd have done it but we've struggled with immigration for at least 60 years and unless there are some dramatic changes, it's going to be part of our politics for decades to come.
  • Options

kamski said:

Eabhal said:

No. Not sure where you get that from???

I'm suggesting that being "nearly hit" by a cyclist twice in several years is worth posting (under a report about a cyclist being killed!) because it's far far far less common than a cyclist being "nearly hit" by a motorist.
    As in "dog bites man" isn't news but "man bites dog" is.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

No it's not

It was 126 mph and on one occasion we were allowed out of our classroom in the 1950s in Berwick to witness Mallard pass on her way over the Royal Border Bridge
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

Were those formal appointments or just unofficial albeit accurate descriptions? Important point for accuracy of the CV.

Raab for instance was First Secretary of State and acted as a deputy but was not Deputy PM at first, which came later.

In the case of Curzon and Butler, formal appointments.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

There isn’t a blanket 20mph in Wales, or Scotland, is there? The M8 and M4 aren’t subject to 20mph limits. I presume this is just in urban areas, which makes sense. It’s been 20mph pretty universally around me in north London for ages. If anything, it’s made driving more pleasant because people are more courteous.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

There isn’t a blanket 20mph in Wales, or Scotland, is there? The M8 and M4 aren’t subject to 20mph limits. I presume this is just in urban areas, which makes sense. It’s been 20mph pretty universally around me in north London for ages. If anything, it’s made driving more pleasant because people are more courteous.
    Do you mean the M48, which is one of two motorways in Wales?

And the M4 is subject to a 20mph limit for much of its length in Wales. Not because of a speed limit, but because it's badly built, horrendously congested and desperately needs replacing, which Twatface has refused to do.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

My name is George Nathaniel Curzon,
    I am a most superior person.
    My cheeks are pink, my hair is sleek,
    I dine at Blenheim twice a week.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

No it's not

It was 126 mph and on one occasion we were allowed out of our classroom in the 1950s in Berwick to witness Mallard pass on her way over the Royal Border Bridge
    Er, he means the kind designed by N. Selection. Not N. Gresley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbLb8XKiYzA
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

I'm loving the wikipedia page on this which shows in notations the academic wrangling various notables engage in.

1 Both Brazier and Norton include Clement Attlee in their lists. However, Hennessy says that Attlee's inclusion in the 1942 minute signed off by The King simply read "Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs" and that it was on separate paper that Winston Churchill wrote "Deputy Prime Minister". Bogdanor similarly asserts that the change was in form rather than fact and that Attlee was never formally appointed deputy prime minister.

2 In his list of official deputy prime ministers, Brazier includes Geoffrey Howe. However, Norton doesn't in his. Norton explains that Buckingham Palace took issue with appointing Howe "Deputy Prime Minister" and proposed "Sir Geoffrey will act as Deputy Prime Minister". On the other hand, in a 1995 (rather than 2020 publication) Bogdanor, asserts that no application to the Palace to appoint Howe deputy prime minister was made at all.

To my mind these dudes are going a little broad with their criteria for proper recognition, but I would think 'official' designation by the PM, even without the Monarch saying so or an official title, would probably pass muster, since if a PM says 'This person is Deputy PM' that's pretty compelling.

In an academic article first published in 2015, Jonathan Kirkup and Stephen Thornton used five criteria to identify deputies: gazetted or styled in Hansard as deputy prime minister; 'officially' designated deputy prime minister by the prime minister; widely recognised by their colleagues as deputy prime minister; second in the ministerial ranking; and chaired the Cabinet or took Prime Minister's Questions in the prime minister's absence.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

The problem the anti-20mph campaigners have is that child pedestrian casualties tend to happen uniformly across neighbourhoods, not just outside schools.

So the data supports blanket 20mph. It's also cheaper to implement, easier for drivers to understand, and induces a "new normal". It increases journey times by only a marginal amount, and that's before you take into account reduced collisions and road closures.
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

The Drake.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Did anything interesting happen at 3pm, as rumoured?
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

The 30mph limit becomes 20mph by default and some exceptions have been made with Plaid forcing a sensible change in the Senedd this week, as I posted earlier

I am not opposed to it by schools, hospitals, and congested areas but here in our area there are many 30mph roads that do not need to be 20mph and the LA has recognised it, but it is likely that more areas will regain the 30mph status as practicality steps in and to be fair Plaid recognised this in their amendment to labour's proposals and is a sensible compromise
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429
    Pulpstar said:

Perhaps Coco could be exempted from the ban then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

Do you mean the M48, which is one of two motorways in Wales?

And the M4 is subject to a 20mph limit for much of its length in Wales. Not because of a speed limit, but because it's badly built, horrendously congested and desperately needs replacing, which Twatface has refused to do.
    No, I meant the M4 and M8 (Scotland) as I wrote.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

No it's not

We were taken out of our classroom to watch a Concorde test flight.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

No it's not

Er, he means the kind designed by N. Selection. Not N. Gresley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbLb8XKiYzA
    Can't you recognise a joke
  • Options

Tomorrow I think
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    This video, if real (I’ve no reason to believe it’s not) is one of the most brutal expositions of the dehumanising effect of war and occupation I’ve seen

https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1702732753689575897?s=46

We think we are moral beings, but are we really? Or animals who are primarily motivated by incentives and disincentives? In normal peacetime societies there’s a strong social incentive to stop and help after a traffic accident, and the danger of social condemnation if you don’t. In somewhere like occupied Luhansk it seems no such incentives apply. So people walk past.

These people are Ukrainians. They’re the ones being occupied. But whether through fear, disinclination to get involved with the occupier’s state apparatus, or simple callous indifference they’re choosing to disregard a death straight in front of them. It’s pretty hard to watch.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,102
    "Welsh Government is 'absolutely insane' to bring in 20mph speed limit, says senior Tory

Penny Mordaunt made the comments in the House of Commons"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/welsh-government-absolutely-insane-bring-27715714
  • Options
    The pro-XL Bully petition approaches 200,000 signatures.

"I'm concerned the the toddler population will spiral out of control with their main predator taken out of the food chain"
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Taz said:

The 30mph limit becomes 20mph by default and some exceptions have been made with Plaid forcing a sensible change in the Senedd this week, as I posted earlier

I am not opposed to it by schools, hospitals, and congested areas but here in our area there are many 30mph roads that do not need to be 20mph and the LA has recognised it, but it is likely that more areas will regain the 30mph status as practicality steps in and to be fair Plaid recognised this in their amendment to labour's proposals and is a sensible compromise
    To be honest, you’ll find that 20mph throughout residential areas works better. Everyone grows to understand it, drivers are more relaxed, motorists become more courteous. It’s Zen for roads. The differences in real journey times are trivial.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Welsh Government is 'absolutely insane' to bring in 20mph speed limit, says senior Tory

Penny Mordaunt made the comments in the House of Commons"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/welsh-government-absolutely-insane-bring-27715714

What has it got to do with her?
  • Options
    Cashless 20mph Ulez.

Heaven.
  • Options
    edited September 2023

Cashless 20mph Ulez.

Heaven.

Also no XL bullies.
  • Options
    Trump lawyer Jenna Ellis turns on ‘malignant narcissist’ ex-president

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/sep/15/trump-lawyer-jenna-ellis
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

"I'm concerned the the toddler population will spiral out of control with their main predator taken out of the food chain"

Are Bully XL’s really that popular? I’d never heard of the breed until I read about them on here about four weeks ago
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

Tomorrow I think
    The internet thinks it's an exposé of a moderately famous comedian whose wife has recently deleted her social media accounts. I shall refrain from saying which one, but it wouldn't surprise you.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Banning SUVs would save more children's lives than banning XL Bullies.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-ban-huge-suvs-built-30418187
  • Options
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    kamski said:

Eabhal said:

Banning SUVs would save more children's lives than banning XL Bullies.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/calls-ban-huge-suvs-built-30418187
    So what? We're talking about dangerous dogs atm.
This discussion has been closed.