Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why I have doubts about Labour winning a majority – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Leon said:

The most amazing revelation in that seminal FT article is that Ireland’s economic stats are not just bullshit (we knew that) but outrageous bullshit

By GDP per capita the Irish are wealthier than the Swiss. Yet it certainly doesn’t feel like that if you go to Ireland. More like a reasonably affluent corner of the UK - but not as rich as London, say

It turns out the feels are better than the stats. The Irish are actually poorer than the West Euro average

The consumption data by country seems to match the real world experience:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/articles/actualindividualconsumptionperheadintheuk/2020

Though there will be varying differences within countries and countries will over or under consumer by varying amounts.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596
    edited September 2023
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Middle of the pack baby, that's where we shine.

Better than Trump's US, Bolsonaro's Brazil... Not the countries we like to compare ourselves to, are they?
    We grew faster than Germany and Spain throughout the pandemic, we had fewer deaths than Italy (and about the same as Spain)

These are indeed our peer countries

That whole article by J B Murdoch on the FT is notable (and brave from the Remoaner FT). Much of the Britain-is-fucked Remoaner narrative is, it turns out, based on false statistics - which have had real negative effects as investors turn away from a country they perceive as doing particularly badly (when we are not)

Remoaners are literally talking the country down, with lies. It’s time for them to stop
    You’d be less annoying if you just said Remainers . Not sure why you continue to drone on about Remoaners . As those who wanted to stay in the EU had to put up with 40 years of constant anti EU whining before Brexit then no we won’t stop trashing Brexit.

A few scraps of positive news are not going to change Remainers minds . Brexit remains a turd no matter how much desperate
    polish Leavers apply to it .
    You do understand that I TRY to be annoying, don’t you? I’ve been here a while. It’s my thing

I often succeed. This alleviates my chronic boredom, which is a real issue for me as I try to function in a world - even PB - where almost everyone has an IQ at least 30 points lower than mine, leaving me in a pit of desperate tedium. I’m like a teacher in a kindergarten who plays Stockhausen to the kids with a blank sincere face
    More you are like some American man-child who thinks comics are high art and taco bell is gourmet food. And will believe any old rubbish provided it is interesting.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Better than Trump's US, Bolsonaro's Brazil... Not the countries we like to compare ourselves to, are they?
    We grew faster than Germany and Spain throughout the pandemic, we had fewer deaths than Italy (and about the same as Spain)

That whole article by J B Murdoch on the FT is notable (and brave from the Remoaner FT). Much of the Britain-is-fucked Remoaner narrative is, it turns out, based on false statistics - which have had real negative effects as investors turn away from a country they perceive as doing particularly badly (when we are not)

Remoaners are literally talking the country down, with lies. It’s time for them to stop
    Here's the thing, though.

We used to look down on Italy and Spain as second tier Euro nations. Our comparators were Germany and France. Proper, well run nations, with a solid economic base.

Perhaps have a word with your stalker and that rag he writes for.

You mean the France where law and order had broken down so badly that state visits had to be cancelled on TWO occasions this year ?

The Germany with its dependency on cheap but insecure Russian gas and cheap but polluting domestic coal ?

As for the political parties of either they're a level of dreadfulness beyond the UK.

So all countries have problems, good aspects alongside bad aspects, advantages together with disadvantages.

And the 'every other country' is overtaking the UK has been a common theme since the 1970s, probably even before then.
    I've been in Turin for the last three days. Currently in Lingotto. Turin, Italy's fourth city is very lively. My only beef is the graffiti everywhere. Much brighter than the UK at present. Perhaps we need (beautifully put Dura Ace) a Fash Karen too.

Over to you Suella.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,128
    Leon said:

The most amazing revelation in that seminal FT article is that Ireland’s economic stats are not just bullshit (we knew that) but outrageous bullshit

By GDP per capita the Irish are wealthier than the Swiss. Yet it certainly doesn’t feel like that if you go to Ireland. More like a reasonably affluent corner of the UK - but not as rich as London, say

It turns out the feels are better than the stats. The Irish are actually poorer than the West Euro average

Ireland has higher saving rates than the Euro average too, so consumption figures are a big of distortion in the other direction.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

You’d be less annoying if you just said Remainers . Not sure why you continue to drone on about Remoaners . As those who wanted to stay in the EU had to put up with 40 years of constant anti EU whining before Brexit then no we won’t stop trashing Brexit.

A few scraps of positive news are not going to change Remainers minds . Brexit remains a turd no matter how much desperate
    You do understand that I TRY to be annoying, don’t you? I’ve been here a while. It’s my thing

I often succeed. This alleviates my chronic boredom, which is a real issue for me as I try to function in a world - even PB - where almost everyone has an IQ at least 30 points lower than mine, leaving me in a pit of desperate tedium. I’m like a teacher in a kindergarten who plays Stockhausen to the kids with a blank sincere face
    More you are like some American man-child who thinks comics are high art and taco bell is gourmet food. And will believe any old rubbish provided it is interesting.
    I do love me a Taco Bell
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,161

If people are going to advocate that I am somehow pro-Russia in every post in an effort to shut me down I am going to leave this board for good. I wish you all the best but I simply won't come in a place where any proposal is met with "you're just spinning for Russia".

Goodbye and best wishes.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, "pro-Ukraine bias". It's called a pro-peace and pro-self determination bias you tit. You've still got a lot of growing up to do CHB.
  • IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Under 40's now below 4% of total UK wealth. Despite being nearly half the population.
    (Yes I know this includes children. But even so).

I'm assuming the key to that is housing wealth. Lots of over 40s with houses (even with mortgages, and smaller the higher up the age range you get) very few under that age with any property at all.
    And the housing is owned by the elderly but rented by the young, hence it funnels the proceeds of the labour of the latter, after tax and NI, up towards the former, who don't pay NI
    There could well be an electoral opening for a party which advocates:

1) Massively increased house building
    2) Rental controls
    3) Increased spending on education
    4) Abolition of student debt
    5) Abolition of national insurance
    6) Subsidised childcare

To be paid for by cutting spending on health care and pensions and the introduction of an 'oldie tax' in place of NI.

Might do well in university constituencies and would certainly get votes under a PR system.
    That distressing video of a bully XL dog attack in brum has now gone totally viral

1.5 MILLION views

How long can the government ignore this and continue to pretend it isn’t happening? How long before Labour realise this is a massive open goal and score?

https://x.com/bullywatchuk/status/1700617924321443985?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    Leon said:

That FT article is brilliant. I did enjoy the lack of self awareness in it though, accusing others of building strong narratives from weak data. I've been reading those narratives from the FT day in day out for the last two years and now suddenly it's a stupid thing to do and we should probably just ignore quarterly GDP data because the ONS under rates our annual growth by 0.6% per year.

Leon said:

kle4 said:

We used to look down on Italy and Spain as second tier Euro nations. Our comparators were Germany and France. Proper, well run nations, with a solid economic base.

You mean the France where law and order had broken down so badly that state visits had to be cancelled on TWO occasions this year ?

The Germany with its dependency on cheap but insecure Russian gas and cheap but polluting domestic coal ?

As for the political parties of either they're a level of dreadfulness beyond the UK.

So all countries have problems, good aspects alongside bad aspects, advantages together with disadvantages.

And the 'every other country' is overtaking the UK has been a common theme since the 1970s, probably even before then.
    I've been in Turin for the last three days. Currently in Lingotto. Turin, Italy's fourth city is very lively. My only beef is the graffiti everywhere. Much brighter than the UK at present. Perhaps we need (beautifully put Dura Ace) a Fash Karen too.

Over to you Suella.
    Do the Torino fans still write 'Liverpool 39 Juventus 0' ?
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,596

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Under 40's now below 4% of total UK wealth. Despite being nearly half the population.

I'm assuming the key to that is housing wealth. Lots of over 40s with houses (even with mortgages, and smaller the higher up the age range you get) very few under that age with any property at all.
    And the housing is owned by the elderly but rented by the young, hence it funnels the proceeds of the labour of the latter, after tax and NI, up towards the former, who don't pay NI

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

To be paid for by cutting spending on health care and pensions and the introduction of an 'oldie tax' in place of NI.

Might do well in university constituencies and would certainly get votes under a PR system.
    2017 Labour

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

That's what the Lib Dems should be doing but they are the NIMBY party. My guess is that this type of party will emerge from the ashes of the huge 2024 defeat that is surely coming for the Tory party.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,510
    edited September 2023

Taz said:

Taz said:

If people are going to advocate that I am somehow pro-Russia in every post in an effort to shut me down I am going to leave this board for good. I wish you all the best but I simply won't come in a place where any proposal is met with "you're just spinning for Russia".

Goodbye and best wishes.

If you don't want to be accused of having a pro-Russia bias, then don't have a pro-Russia bias.

Helping Ukrainians is not "sickening".

You may wish to say that not helping others is sickening, but there is nothing sickening about helping Ukrainians.
    I really don’t think he has a pro Russian bias. Far from it.

I read his posts as why do we help Ukrainians but not others. It’s a fair point. He’s not made the point greatly but he’s also being trolled and baited.

All in all a pretty poor show all round on pb.com
    Certainly one aspect is compassion fatigue to do with anything MENA:

Palestinian refugees
    Lebanese refugees
    Algerian refugees
    Libyan refugees
    Kurdish refugees
    Sudanese refugees
    Somali refugees
    Syrian refugees
    Iraqi refugees
    Afghan refugees
    Yemeni refugees
    Yes, I do think compassion fatigue is a factor here. It’s easy for people just to dismiss it as racism but I think there’s far more to it.
    I think you've got to distinguish between the fatigued and those who never had a scintilla of compassion in the first place to get fatigued.
    Only if virtue signalling is important.

Some people like to boast about their extreme position, whether that is 'let everyone in' or 'let nobody in', but real world actions depend on real world practicalities.
    Wait a minute, you started off saying compassion fatigue was a thing, now you're saying distinguishing between that and callous rsoles is the remit of virtue signallers.
  • Andy_JS said:

You need to explain why they can't stay in France, a safe country.

Why are Ukranians coming here? There are plenty of safe countries between here and Ukraine.
    :innocent:

Why are Ukranian refugees any more refugees than people from Iraq? They aren't.

So why don't you address my question, why are Ukrainians able to come here despite the many safe countries between here and there and not Iraqis?

Your continued implication that I am somehow pro-Russia when I am obviously not is starting to seriously grate.
    Ukrainians are actually at war and being killed by Russians as we speak
    So it's OK for everyone from Yemen and Palestine to come?
    Or only white ones?
    Who is "Palestine" at war with? And when did that war happen?

Maybe my history books are flawed but I can't recall a state called Palestine ever being invaded by any country post-WWII.

Although the UN had intended to create a state called Palestine in 1948 but Egypt and Jordan invaded that land and prevented that state from ever being created.

I further recall Egypt and Jordan repeatedly declaring war on Israel, but those wars finished and Egypt and Jordan are both formally no longer at war with Israel anymore.
    Sophistry. Answer the actual question. Replace “Palestine” with Syria if it will stop you being pedantic.

To answer the question with Syria I will give the same answer I've given for about a decade with regards to Syria.

We should work with Turkey and the UN to ensure safe harbour for Syrian refugees and we should fly safely from Turkey some ('our share') safely and directly from Turkey who are most in need. Which will primarily be, as it is with Ukraine, women and children as most healthy young men will be fighting for their homeland.

What we should not do is turn a blind eye to the millions amassed in Turkey etc and instead have a Darwinian survival of the fittest that says "if you get here without drowning" then we will take you in, which primarily means the least in need and healthy young males are the ones who make it here while those most in need get abandoned to their fates in Turkey.

Any irregular migration of Syrians who have made deadly water crossings to get here should ideally be returned back to camps in Turkey, with Turkey's agreement, while we fly those who need it to come here instead in return. We should not be feeding people smugglers or deadly crossings as the way to get h ere.
    Great. Now why couldn’t you have said something like that in the first place rather than the pointless quibbling over Palestinian statehood?

So, to respond to your actual answer, while we don’t want to encourage people smugglers, it seems unnecessarily complicated (as well as possibly contrary to international law) to take a Syrian refugee who has arrived in the UK, fly them back to Turkey and then possibly fly them back to the UK under the scheme you’ve laid out. (We did have some similar arrangements when we were in the EU, but of course we left.) But, at a broad level, I agree with your proposal. Obviously the UK government does not.

BTW, is there any particular reason why the millions of Syrian refugees in Jordan, Lebanon and Iraq are ignored?
    I don't feel it is unnecessarily complicated, if all countries agree, to fly back those who have engaged people smugglers while flying others over, to be both humane (in accepting those in most need) and to discourage people smuggling. As for saying the UK government does not agree with my proposal, it is roughly what Cameron proposed in 2015 IIRC.

Nor can it be simultaneously contrary to international law and what we previously did while within the EU, unless of course you are suggesting the EU is or was operating contrary to international law.

As for why just ignoring other countries, Turkey was just used as short-hand for neighbouring countries. Jordan, Lebanon etc are other neighbouring countries too and we should be working with the UN and them to help provide safe harbour there and support the millions there too.

Flying everyone over isn't a realistic option though. And saying we will ignore the millions there, while accepting those who engage people smugglers only isn't a humane solution. Flying over those in most need, safely and humanely, while providing support to the millions in neighbouring countries, is a humane and balanced solution.
    A lawyer on why these dogs can and should be banned

“As a barrister who has worked on dangerous dog cases, we need much tougher penalties for irresponsible owners, restrictions on dog breeders and, most importantly, a ban on XL bullies. The statistics are overwhelming, these dogs are too big and too aggressive to be family pets. “

https://x.com/douglaslloyduk/status/1700745991995961400?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

And an illuminating thread

“Just how dangerous is the American Bully?

Is this an isolated incident?

I've been focused on this issue for months and here's what we know about the most dangerous dog breed in British history 🧵👇”

https://x.com/pursuitofprog/status/1700746239363465423?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Goodbye and best wishes.

If you don't want to be accused of having a pro-Russia bias, then don't have a pro-Russia bias.

You may wish to say that not helping others is sickening, but there is nothing sickening about helping Ukrainians.

I read his posts as why do we help Ukrainians but not others. It’s a fair point. He’s not made the point greatly but he’s also being trolled and baited.

Always the way on here. If you want a bukkake of likes post some Ukrainian psy op (Euromaiden, etc). If you want a ban post some equally unlikely shit from RT, Sputnik, etc.

It the histrionic reaction of the Armchair Azovs and their Millenerian outriders who want to immanentise the eschaton that sets the tone.
    Since you're here, what's your opinion of Aprilias? In my quest for something automotive that's stupid and impractical I've tried to winnow out all the scams and bullshit, and Aprilias seem very good value; I can get an RSVR Factory for £3500. The equivalent Ducati, a 999R, would be 6 times the price, and while it's a rare & desirable bike I don't know if that justifies the differential.
    Very good, in my opinion. I've never had one but I've ridden a V4 (never a Mille) and that thing was a great road bike. They are generally quite well screwed together as they are owned by Piaggio who certainly know how to do mass production.

Haga or Edwards rep would be where the investment potential would be. The 999R will never be worth less than you paid for, as long you don't stuff it into a dry stone wall at 110mph. I don't think I could make such an unequivocal claim for an RSV-R.

Good video on the RSV-R here by Chris from 44Teeth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIbW4vhGQA

There are loads of fake 'Factory' RSV-Rs out there so do your homework and be skeptical.

Thanks for that, v.useful.
    The one I'm interested in is described as a Haga/Edwards limited edition, a bit more digging needed I think.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,599
    edited September 2023
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

As an intellectual snob once said "think of how stupid the average person is and remember that half the people are even more stupid than that".
    That snob can't be very intellectual if he said that. Massive statistical fallacy there, bearing in mind a lot of people are effectively of zero intelligence (dementia, in particular).
  • kle4 said:

It's been obvious for ages that, despite a poor start, the UK had an average time of it during Covid, which perhaps becomes OKish when you consider population density. But it was a political stalemate anyway: the Right credited insightful and inspiring Boris; the Left, the skill and dedication of the NHS workers. No side could claim an irrefutable win.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Taz said:

Goodbye and best wishes.

Always the way on here. If you want a bukkake of likes post some Ukrainian psy op (Euromaiden, etc). If you want a ban post some equally unlikely shit from RT, Sputnik, etc.

It the histrionic reaction of the Armchair Azovs and their Millenerian outriders who want to immanentise the eschaton that sets the tone.
    Since you're here, what's your opinion of Aprilias? In my quest for something automotive that's stupid and impractical I've tried to winnow out all the scams and bullshit, and Aprilias seem very good value; I can get an RSVR Factory for £3500. The equivalent Ducati, a 999R, would be 6 times the price, and while it's a rare & desirable bike I don't know if that justifies the differential.
    Very good, in my opinion. I've never had one but I've ridden a V4 (never a Mille) and that thing was a great road bike. They are generally quite well screwed together as they are owned by Piaggio who certainly know how to do mass production.

Haga or Edwards rep would be where the investment potential would be. The 999R will never be worth less than you paid for, as long you don't stuff it into a dry stone wall at 110mph. I don't think I could make such an unequivocal claim for an RSV-R.

Good video on the RSV-R here by Chris from 44Teeth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIbW4vhGQA

There are loads of fake 'Factory' RSV-Rs out there so do your homework and be skeptical.

Thanks for that, v.useful.
    The one I'm interested in is described as a Haga/Edwards limited edition, a bit more digging needed I think.
    Has to be one or the other, it cannot be both. The Edwards 'Replica' (it's not really a replica as the RSV-R is completely unrelated to the Cube that CE raced in MotoGP) has a few different parts to the Haga Replica.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,949

AnneJGP said:

Morning all!

Yesterday I had, for the first time for years, an electoral communication from the Labour Party. In my inbox.
    I pointed out that it was actually irrelevant, because it related to a neighbouring MP, and actually got a chatbot reply.

I didn't get even a reply from my local Labour party when I emailed them asking for information.

Good morning, everyone.
    Good morning Anne. If you'd like to email me (nickmp1@aol.com), I'll sort that out.
    Thank you, Nick, that's kind. But it's too long ago now and I've become one of the Plague on all your houses brigade.
  • MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

That's what the Lib Dems should be doing but they are the NIMBY party. My guess is that this type of party will emerge from the ashes of the huge 2024 defeat that is surely coming for the Tory party.
    I would love to think you're right, but who?

The Tories in Opposition are going to struggle to embrace that.

Labour if office will probably take the 'easy' headline 1% NI rise again and again meaning a real 2% tax rise but only on workers, as they did last time and as Rishi tried.

Who is going to embrace fixing the problem?

Anyone who did would deserve to be in Downing Street, but I can't see anyone actually doing so.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,432
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I do love me a Taco Bell
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-LzYwbYkQs
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Manchester United announce that Antony is going on indefinite leave whilst he addresses his issues

What with Greenwood and falling out with Sancho the club is in a really poor place

Fear they are taking their search for a replacement for Ryan Giggs a little too seriously.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    edited September 2023
    They’ve started in Southampton and England are 8-3!

It’s SUPPOSED to be 34 overs!
  • Taz said:

Taz said:

Goodbye and best wishes.

Certainly one aspect is compassion fatigue to do with anything MENA:

Palestinian refugees
    Lebanese refugees
    Algerian refugees
    Libyan refugees
    Kurdish refugees
    Sudanese refugees
    Somali refugees
    Syrian refugees
    Iraqi refugees
    Afghan refugees
    Yemeni refugees
    Yes, I do think compassion fatigue is a factor here. It’s easy for people just to dismiss it as racism but I think there’s far more to it.
    I think you've got to distinguish between the fatigued and those who never had a scintilla of compassion in the first place to get fatigued.
    Only if virtue signalling is important.

Some people like to boast about their extreme position, whether that is 'let everyone in' or 'let nobody in', but real world actions depend on real world practicalities.
    Wait a minute, you started off saying compassion fatigue was a thing, now you're saying distinguishing between that and callous rsoles is the remit of virtue signallers.
    You expect consistency on this site ?

My point is sort of that while there are, often loud, extremes on an issue that there are also less committed/interested people who are affected by real world developments.

And these moderate/middling types would like to help but are increasingly put off so doing as they become fatigued by an issue.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,432
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

Rent controls would be a good way to reduce the amounted of rented accommodation.

It has happened everywhere they have been used to significantly reduce rents.

Cutting NHS spending is political suicide in the UK.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    This thread has succumbed to its own self-doubts.
  • MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

There are certainly votes for such a political program - as the LibDem showed in 2010 and Labour in 2017.

And the Conservatives will need to incorporate aspects of it.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,559
    edited September 2023

NEW THREAD

• MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

Rent controls would be a good way to reduce the amounted of rented accommodation.

Housing benefit is pretty much the opposite of rent controls and creates a false, higher, floor for rents.

So significantly reducing housing benefit would have similar positive effect on rents without many of the negative unintended consequences.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,510
    edited September 2023

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

And it would mean a POGROM of the rentier class!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    NEW THREAD
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

PB's favourite sport , pensioner bashing. Always wishing pensioner's were in poverty. Will be different story when they get there , the greed will be turned the other way.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,871

Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Speaking of grifters and brass neck, this is an interesting little thread:

The road you can see below is Henry Drive in Leigh-on-Sea, Essex.

It's a typical seaside town, not far from Southend.

Except since 8 June 2023, seventy new companies have been registered to seventeen different addresses in this road.

https://twitter.com/greybrow53/status/1700426422941106265

What's the point I wonder? I vaguely read the thread but I don't know what the 'scam' here is?
    Attempts to obtain government support and then just running off with the money (leaving an unaware householder to pick up the pieces)?

There are two points:-

1. Companies House does very few checks and verifications when new companies are registered. This makes it very quick and easy to set up companies but it also makes it very easy for fraudsters of all types and this has been criticised by many. There is a case for increasing the checks without hampering business.

2. This sort of pattern in private houses suggests a scam which can affect the householders living there, as well as others affected by those operating these companies.
    Tell me about it.

1. It's £12 to set up. No checks, nothing. If you get the Company Authentication code, you can basically do what you like.
    2. If *I* received post about a new company, I'd take great delight in changing everything straight away, but for the average joe on the street, they'd either ignore it, or start the exceptionally slow process of trying to get the Company removed properly (take years).

Companies House is a chocolate fireguard. In fact, its worse than that, as the fireguard would last a few minutes. There is basically no guard at all.
    Jobsworthism. It’s not in the remit of Companies House to do checks, therefore they don’t.

Perhaps they need a team meeting to work out what they do?
    Well, in Companies House defence, they do say they are merely a record keeper and its up to the individual to do their own due diligence.

However, its also a criminal offence to file incorrect information (for which no one prosecutes, or even investigates) so it then means that third parties suddenly place 'reliance' on this information.
    Before you know where you are, you've created a fictitious web of 'reputable companies' with a history of filing and give off the air of upstanding business people. Banks will loan you money, companies will send you stock, all with no further checks on their part.

Everyone's a winner, especially Companies House who get all those lovely £12 incorporation and £13 confirmation statement fees for over 10 million companies.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,590

Andy_JS said:

You need to explain why they can't stay in France, a safe country.

Why are Ukranians coming here? There are plenty of safe countries between here and Ukraine.
    :innocent:

Why are Ukranian refugees any more refugees than people from Iraq? They aren't.

So why don't you address my question, why are Ukrainians able to come here despite the many safe countries between here and there and not Iraqis?

Your continued implication that I am somehow pro-Russia when I am obviously not is starting to seriously grate.
    Ukrainians are actually at war and being killed by Russians as we speak
    Do you know anything about the Middle East at all? This is legitimately one of the most ignorant posts I've ever seen on this board.
    Did you not see my graph? Russia is occupying 22 times as much territory as Israel is.

Russia is occupying territory from not only Ukraine, but also Moldova and Georgia, and a case can also be made for the South Kuril islands claimed by Japan.
    Got nothing to do with Israel, stop making everything about Israel for goodness sake.

Yemen is currently in the middle of a war, do you agree that those refugees should be allowed to come here or do you think certain refugees are more valuable than others?

Ukraine doesn't get special treatment, their refugees aren't unique.
    Of course he doesn't Sunil has pulled up the drawbridge after his family arrived.

Mind you SKS doesn't believe in equal treatment either.
    My parents didn't sneak into the country uninvited. Why would legal immigrants to this country (and their descendants) support illegal immigration to this country?
    Thats because there were legal routes available then.

Ubder which legal route would they get in now?

I think you are a hypocrite

You do know a lot of these people who want to stop brown people coming also want to send those already here "home"

Also it will be progressive people like me defending your right to stay and not those you side with over brown people in strife

• IanB2 said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

I thought that Taco Bell was a telephone company.

Truly.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,631

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

Even though it’s a failed policy people who advocate it think this time will be different. It never is.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

As an intellectual snob once said "think of how stupid the average person is and remember that half the people are even more stupid than that".
    and then remember the average staff member of the DfE is only half the intelligence of average person, and half of them are stupider than that...
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Over to you Suella.
    Do the Torino fans still write 'Liverpool 39 Juventus 0' ?
    I don't know.

I am not sure how to read that comment.

Do we still remember Heysel with a tasteless rewrite of Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall"? I hope not.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    edited September 2023

My parents didn't sneak into the country uninvited.

Did they keep the invite? I should imagine it would be a family heirloom by now.
  • IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

2) Rental controls
    6) Subsidised childcare

What about the introduction of national insurance on private pension and other earned income over and above the state pension?
    It's not double taxation, because pension contributions go before NI. And, in theory if not in practice, NI pays for more than the state pension, it covers NHS and any other befefits pensioners might be entitled to

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Over to you Suella.
    You do realise that the pejorative "Karen" is RACIST against the KAREN people of Burma?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_people
This discussion has been closed.