Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Good Deed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750

More on Ramaswamy (she's not a fan, but note the Iowa focus group report):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/aug/24/vivek-ramaswamy-demagogue-in-waiting

Not much movement on the Betfair GOP candidate market, though - Trump 1.5, Rama and de Santis 9, nobody else under 28. For overall winner Kamala Harris remains wildly underrated at 50 - if Biden didn't run she'd be favourite IMO.

I think Ramaswamy a clear lay for the Presidency at current odds, FWIW.

It's not completely inconceivable his getting the nomination, with the current state fo the GOP, but he ought to be 50/1 plus for the main event.
    Bluff called.

With eyes now pointed at Ken Chesebro's likely trial start date in Georgia.

Chesebro demanded: by Nov 3
    DA Willis now replied: Oct 23!

He is making a risky gamble.

Example: Judge David Carter said of one of Chesebro's memos: It "likely furthered the crimes" in federal case.

https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1694764093217857633
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

On bathroom scales (someone mentioned it but I can't see who) I pursue a strategy of extremes:

1 - I have a set of Maple & Co cast iron scales from an antique shop, vintage 1900, that read up to 20 stone, of which I have seen an identical set in at least one National Trust property - Calke Abbey iirc.

Strangely after I bought these the next 4 places I lived in London were all walk-up (ie carry up) flats.

2 - A modern hi-tec set of bathroom scales that have lasted fine for about 5 years so far, with an App on the phone that tells me BMI, %fat and other bits and pieces.
    I'd probably recommend at £17.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RENPHO-Bluetooth-Bathroom-Skeletal-Metabolic/dp/B077RXM292

No one needs "bathroom scales" unless they are competing.
    Hmmm. I appreciate why you are saying that but there can be lots of reasons for needing them. Here are a few for us:

a) My wife has the same back issue Mike has. Can't remember the name now. The travel insurance wanted to know her height and weight before insuring her. I guess they are ensuring she isn't over weight (which she isn't at all) with that condition

b) Weighing your luggage before a flight. Weigh you with and without bag

c) We have been asked the weight of the dog before for various requirements. Same process as b)

d) For my Pitts Special flight I had to lose weight - 90 kg limit

e) I also wanted to lose weight for my cycle trip. Weighing myself daily was a real motivator. I went from 96 kg to 88 kg. Sadly several kg have gone back on.

I'm sure others can add to the list.
    Lost 15kg a few years ago, daily measurements (and lots of data analysis with Garmin etc) is the best motivator for me.
    You can add most sportspeople involved in competition, especially eg boxing or weight-lifting where it is categories by weight.
    Joe Rogan said in a recent interview, that the UFC has now started doing the weigh-in for fights very early, usually the morning of the day before the fight, so 36 hours or so ahead. He said that the fighters can often get close to putting on 10% of their body mass in those 36 hours! They’ve starved themselves for a week beforehand, to make the required weight, and then go mad with food and water as soon as they’ve hit the scales. Basically, fighters who would usually weigh 180lb agree to fight at 160lb, and can get back pretty close to 180lb by the time they actually fight!
    Interesting.

It would seem obvious to also weigh them 30 minutes before the fight.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Like a mash-up of the Best of True Crime this morning.

Peter and I should do opposing thread headers on famous historic cases where the verdict has been questioned.

Hanratty. Armstrong. Crippen. Richard III

Think of the fun we could have putting the opposing cases and then arguing about them!
    A discussion on the trial of Roger Casement would be fun.

Grammar and punctuation matters.
    What about Lord Haw Haw?

As AJP Taylor famously said, 'he was hanged for making a false statement on a passport application, the usual penalty for which is a small fine.'
    It's a witty line from AJP Taylor, but not strictly true.

As I understand it, had Joyce not procured a British passport under false pretences, he'd not have been capable of being convicted for treason (you can't betray a country to which you don't owe allegiance). But the fact is that he did so and was therefore tried and convicted for treason. The charge was not making a false statement on a passport application, it was just that he couldn't use his own false statement as a shield against the treason charge (which is pretty common in various areas of law - you can't normally use your own misdeeds as a shield).
  • Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

Example: Judge David Carter said of one of Chesebro's memos: It "likely furthered the crimes" in federal case.

This gambit makes Ken Chesebro come across as an incompetent lawyer... which ironically could actually help his defence.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited August 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Peter and I should do opposing thread headers on famous historic cases where the verdict has been questioned.

Think of the fun we could have putting the opposing cases and then arguing about them!

What about Lord Haw Haw?

As AJP Taylor famously said, 'he was hanged for making a false statement on a passport application, the usual penalty for which is a small fine.'

As I understand it, had Joyce not procured a British passport under false pretences, he'd not have been capable of being convicted for treason (you can't betray a country to which you don't owe allegiance). But the fact is that he did so and was therefore tried and convicted for treason. The charge was not making a false statement on a passport application, it was just that he couldn't use his own false statement as a shield against the treason charge (which is pretty common in various areas of law - you can't normally use your own misdeeds as a shield).
    I think the issue is it was 'strictly' true. The point being that he had left himself wide open by his mistake.

If he hadn't done that, they would have had to find other grounds to convict him on...

They would have done.

Joyce himself had a quite witty line towards the end when offered confession by a Catholic priest. 'I've had enough trouble with false passports without trying to get one into heaven as well.'*

*At least, I think it was Joyce. It was a good line, anyway.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

What about Lord Haw Haw?

John Amery's last words were really quite brilliant.

"Ah, Mr. Pierrepoint, I have long wanted to meet you, but not, I'm sure you'll understand, under present circumstances."
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

I'm curious if Chesebro's demand, now met, will impact on any of the others. I still assume no way all or most will proceed as quickly as the DA has asked for, but if one defendant asked for speedy and it was possible, would the judge set a pretty ambitious schedule?

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

This gambit makes Ken Chesebro come across as an incompetent lawyer... which ironically could actually help his defence.
    Maybe. A lot of them seem to be relying on saying they believed they were right, or just dumb, but while that can save you from many crimes others it doesn't matter as you're still not allowed to do it.

If any of the cases don't convict just imagine the furore from the right demanding others be tossed out.

It's why Christie's position is better, in that crimes or not its wrong.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

Maybe. A lot of them seem to be relying on saying they believed they were right, or just dumb, but while that can save you from many crimes others it doesn't matter as you're still not allowed to do it.

If any of the cases don't convict just imagine the furore from the right demanding others be tossed out.

It's really quite worrying that needs to be said.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

What about Lord Haw Haw?

I think the issue is it was 'strictly' true. The point being that he had left himself wide open by his mistake.

If he hadn't done that, they would have had to find other grounds to convict him on...

They would have done.

Joyce himself had a quite witty line towards the end when offered confession by a Catholic priest. 'I've had enough trouble with false passports without trying to get one into heaven as well.'*

*At least, I think it was Joyce. It was a good line, anyway.
    It really wasn't "strictly" true as the charge was treason, not making a false statement on a passport application.

The reason I have a British passport is that I was born here. If I was ever convicted of treason, it'd be pretty misleading to claim I'd been convicted for being born in the UK.

Likewise, Joyce had a British passport because he applied under false pretences, but his conviction was for treason and it's ultimately misleading to say he was convicted for lying on a passport application.

I think AJP Taylor understood that, and it was just a witty one-liner that involved a bit of a distortion of the truth for the sake of the gag.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

FF43 said:

Chris said:

The reason given by the CCRC for not proceeding is very strange. The comment was that there was "no certainty" that the other DNA found on the victim's clothing was "crime specific".

That makes it sound as though they were asking the wrong question entirely. Certainty that someone else's DNA was crime-specific would have proved that Malkinson was certainly innocent (given that there was only one assailant). Obviously, reasonable doubt of guilt is the correct criterion.

Depending on what they discovered, that conclusion might be reasonable. I think the bar is set quite high for a CCRC referral. ...
    The criterion is just that "the Commission consider that there is a real possibility that the conviction, verdict, finding or sentence would not be upheld were the reference to be made ..."
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/35/section/13

The point I'm making is that standard of proof of guilt is "beyond reasonable doubt", so new evidence raising reasonable doubt should result in the appeal being upheld. But the CCRC comment makes it sound as they were dismissing the new evidence because it didn't provide certainty of innocence.
    Isn't it reversed after a conviction? You don't have the presumption of guilt any more, so you have to prove innocence?
    Not sure about the details of the provisions in England but in Scotland the test applied is has there been a miscarriage of justice which is very different from has something gone wrong?

It is therefore not enough to show 1 strand of evidence has become suspect or even wrong if there is other compelling evidence indicating guilt. I don’t know enough about the case to comment but it is likely that the CCRC took that view, at least initially.
    Well, I was thinking more of the Hanratty case, where AIUI the judges took the view that unless evidence proving him innocent was found, there was no reason to overturn the conviction. That's why the family took those DNA tests and were rather horrified when the results strongly suggested Hanratty was guilty.

I think also with Sion Jenkins once doubts had been cast on the evidence the Court of Appeal ordered a retrial not an acquittal, although I could be wrong about that.
    The Hanratty DNA results were on inspection rather less compelling than you might suppose but it is certainly true that it was impossible to prove Hanratty innocent and that is likely to remain the case forever, mainly because of the complete mess the police made of the investigation at the time.

Personally I think it unlikely he did do it, but I am sure the verdict will now never be overturned.
    Having looked into the case, I would disagree.

It wasn't maybe a brilliant police investigation, but the evidence against him is pretty much irrefutable. Just to run through it:

1) He was identified by the surviving victim who never wavered in her belief that he was the killer. Yes, she had wrongly identified somebody else in a different identity parade earlier, but she hadn't been told that if she didn't recognise anyone she didn't have to chose one. She thought they were asking 'what was the closest match to the person you saw?'

2) He stayed in a hotel room where two cartridge cases were found from the bullets used in the murders.

3) The gun used in the murder was found wrapped in a handkerchief that had mucus on it which matched his DNA profile. No other DNA was found on the handkerchief.

4) His semen was on Valerie Storey's knickers. There was some indication of a second sample of semen, but the question remains, why was his there?

5) He gave not one but two false alibis for the time of the murders.

6) About the only really odd feature of the case was that he told Gregston he couldn't drive, but there could be explanations for that including possibly laying a false trail.

7) Although Peter Alphon later confessed to the murder, leaving aside the fact he didn't match the description of the killer, wasn't identified in a parade and was well known as a psychotic attention seeker, he was paid to confess by Paul Foot as part of his campaign against the death penalty.

8) There was some confusion over the colour of the killer's eyes. However, Storey had in fact said 'blue' which was shortened to 'bl' and misread as 'br' ie 'brown' in the first press release.

Now it is impossible Hanratty was innocent? Not impossible, I suppose. In the sense it's not impossible that one day Boris Johnson might say something truthful.

But you are looking at not only a truly vast conspiracy but one which had knowledge of future DNA techniques to store his mucus and semen to be planted on the evidence at the right moment if he was innnocent.

He might have got away with it under today's rules (this being before the Police and Criminal Evidence Act) but bluntly I think it unlikely. Killers have been convicted on far less (Adrian Prout springs to mind) and Storey's evidence on its own was pretty compelling. Staying at a hotel habituated by criminals under a false name and lying about it is also not the smartest idea in the world.

Hanratty himself was said to have been quite open about his guilt when not under caution. He just didn't think it could be proved.
    It's a complex case, Ydoethur, and I haven't the time or the inclination to run through that lot right now. Maybe I'll come back to it later.

I will mention the DNA results, because they surprised me and rekindled my interest in the case long after I had first studied it.

DNA testing was of course unheard of at the time. It is not surprising therefore that the materials used for it had not been preserved in a way that would now be necessary. In fact very few physical items from the crime had been retained. The car, for example, in which the murder was committed had disappeared without trace. Bedforshire police came up with two items which were tested, and neither are terribly satisfactory for very different reasons.

The first item was Valerie Storey's panties which allegedly contained traces of the killer's sperm. The rape scene was part of the prosecution narrative but Hanratty was never accused of rape and it was little referred to at the trial. She did state however that the killer forced her at gunpoint to remove her panties before raping her on the back seat. It follows that she must have put them back on again in the brief moments before she herself was shot about ten yards away from the vehicle whilst attending to the dead body of her lover. This is possible, but unlikely. The many possible questions arising from the 'rape' scene were never asked at the trial because it was not a charge.

The second item,the hankerchief, is even less satisfactory. Hanratty was staying at the time with the family of Charles France, a petty criminal. Mrs France did Hanratty's laundry. It would be a simple matter for anybody wishing to implicate Hanratty to take a gun and wrap it in one of his hankies and hide it somewhere it would likely be found soon.

In these two matters, and the case generally, I think you have to apply a certain amount of common sense. For example, if most of the evidence had long been lost or destroyed, how is it that a pair of panties relevant only to the highly marginal and untested rape aspect was retained? Why would the killer have wrapped the murder weapon in an item of his personal belongings and hidden it where it was certain to be found quickly, rather than say chucking it in the local river or a skip?

In fact the more you know about the case the more the implausibility of Hanratty's guilt becomes evident, but for sure he didn't help himself, as some of your points indicate.
    Expecting the rape victim to have a perfect memory for where her panties were at all times is preposterous. I don’t think the claim around minor inconsistencies in her memory is persuasive.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

I'm curious if Chesebro's demand, now met, will impact on any of the others. I still assume no way all or most will proceed as quickly as the DA has asked for, but if one defendant asked for speedy and it was possible, would the judge set a pretty ambitious schedule?
    As far as evidence, and witnesses being aired in court goes, there could be significant impact.
    Whether the trial proceeds speedily is beyond my limited comprehension to predict.

Trump's (and his alleged co-conspirators) are clearly vulnerable to one or more of their number making a deal with the prosecution. If things start looking bad for the small Chese, then there is a strong incentive for peripheral characters to start talking.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    edited August 2023
    MattW said:

Sandpit said:

MattW said:

Eabhal said:

kjh said:

TOPPING said:

MattW said:

On bathroom scales (someone mentioned it but I can't see who) I pursue a strategy of extremes:

1 - I have a set of Maple & Co cast iron scales from an antique shop, vintage 1900, that read up to 20 stone, of which I have seen an identical set in at least one National Trust property - Calke Abbey iirc.

Strangely after I bought these the next 4 places I lived in London were all walk-up (ie carry up) flats.

2 - A modern hi-tec set of bathroom scales that have lasted fine for about 5 years so far, with an App on the phone that tells me BMI, %fat and other bits and pieces.
    I'd probably recommend at £17.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RENPHO-Bluetooth-Bathroom-Skeletal-Metabolic/dp/B077RXM292

No one needs "bathroom scales" unless they are competing.
    Hmmm. I appreciate why you are saying that but there can be lots of reasons for needing them. Here are a few for us:

a) My wife has the same back issue Mike has. Can't remember the name now. The travel insurance wanted to know her height and weight before insuring her. I guess they are ensuring she isn't over weight (which she isn't at all) with that condition

b) Weighing your luggage before a flight. Weigh you with and without bag

c) We have been asked the weight of the dog before for various requirements. Same process as b)

d) For my Pitts Special flight I had to lose weight - 90 kg limit

e) I also wanted to lose weight for my cycle trip. Weighing myself daily was a real motivator. I went from 96 kg to 88 kg. Sadly several kg have gone back on.

I'm sure others can add to the list.
    Lost 15kg a few years ago, daily measurements (and lots of data analysis with Garmin etc) is the best motivator for me.
    You can add most sportspeople involved in competition, especially eg boxing or weight-lifting where it is categories by weight.
    Joe Rogan said in a recent interview, that the UFC has now started doing the weigh-in for fights very early, usually the morning of the day before the fight, so 36 hours or so ahead. He said that the fighters can often get close to putting on 10% of their body mass in those 36 hours! They’ve starved themselves for a week beforehand, to make the required weight, and then go mad with food and water as soon as they’ve hit the scales. Basically, fighters who would usually weigh 180lb agree to fight at 160lb, and can get back pretty close to 180lb by the time they actually fight!
    Interesting.

It would seem obvious to also weigh them 30 minutes before the fight.
    It's a thing. Make the weight then rehydrate (put weight back on) for the fight. It's why there was such a controversy over Chris Eubank's rehydration clause in the ill-fated Benn Eubanks fight.

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/1196632/what-is-the-rehydration-clause-in-boxing-eubank-jr-v-benn-eubank-sr/

People have been talking about MPs casework, and what happens when MP is defeated.
    In 2005 the then Labour MP for Braintree had been working on a case for me.

However he lost his seat and I raised the matter with his Conservative successor, had to start from square one again, and was told that my problem was all to do with the last Labour government. I pointed out that it wasn't; it was due to action taken under the Major government, and he wasn't interested.

When I took over from Sir Jim Lester he didn't (probably rightly) want to hand over all his files, but agreed to pass on info on specific cases where the constituent wished it - IIRC we did that a couple of times. I offered Anna Soubry the same but for whatever reason it wasn't taken up, and nowadays privacy rules make it harder (you're not supposed to sit on data for months in case your successor might want it). We did write to constituents who were in the middle of a case to tell hem how to contact her to pursue the issue further.

In short, I wouldn't expect the handover to be especially time-consuming.
    OK, here’s my radical idea for the day. Nationalise MP’s constituency staff. Staff in each constituency to be permanently employed civil servants. Just as a civil servant in, say, the Department of Health & Social Care works for a Conservative government today, but will work for a Labour government after the next election, so a civil servant in each constituency works for one MP today and a new one after the election. They provide continuity of support for constituents. There are no issues with MPs employing relatives or fiddling expenses. There’s a guaranteed level of service.

People have been talking about MPs casework, and what happens when MP is defeated.

However he lost his seat and I raised the matter with his Conservative successor, had to start from square one again, and was told that my problem was all to do with the last Labour government. I pointed out that it wasn't; it was due to action taken under the Major government, and he wasn't interested.

When I took over from Sir Jim Lester he didn't (probably rightly) want to hand over all his files, but agreed to pass on info on specific cases where the constituent wished it - IIRC we did that a couple of times. I offered Anna Soubry the same but for whatever reason it wasn't taken up, and nowadays privacy rules make it harder (you're not supposed to sit on data for months in case your successor might want it). We did write to constituents who were in the middle of a case to tell hem how to contact her to pursue the issue further.

OK, here’s my radical idea for the day. Nationalise MP’s constituency staff. Staff in each constituency to be permanently employed civil servants. Just as a civil servant in, say, the Department of Health & Social Care works for a Conservative government today, but will work for a Labour government after the next election, so a civil servant in each constituency works for one MP today and a new one after the election. They provide continuity of support for constituents. There are no issues with MPs employing relatives or fiddling expenses. There’s a guaranteed level of service.
    Yes, but what level of service?!!
    Trump bulls should take a close look at this poll.

Lock Him Up? A New Poll Has Some Bad News for Trump
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/25/ipsos-poll-trump-indictment-00112755

A significant majority of voters - and around a third of Republicans - want to see a trial before the election.
    Lancashire looking ominously comfortable here again.

Especially since we've only got another couple of hours today and tomorrow to finish the match.
    Nigelb said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/08/25/ipsos-poll-trump-indictment-00112755

A significant majority of voters - and around a third of Republicans - want to see a trial before the election.

A short combo of both Trump and Ramasw for the presidency at today's Betfair odds is worth a look, IMO.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    ydoethur said:

Yes, but what level of service?!!
    How will MP's cope when they can't pay their partner for "secretary" work...

And while on one hand I'm joking at least where the partner is getting a wage they are getting something for all the weekends lost in campaigning.
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

The case will be not about whether they believed the election to have been stolen - which is just opinion.
    It's about the efforts they made to try to overturn the result. The means that they used were, prime facie, fraudulent. I don't think a defence of incompetence will help them at all.
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

The case will be not about whether they believed the election to have been stolen - which is just opinion.
    It's about the efforts they made to try to overturn the result. The means that they used were, prime facie, fraudulent. I don't think a defence of incompetence will help them at all.
    Although their incompetence definitely did help America.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

The flaw in your argument is an assumption that the jury will approach the case logically and correctly. At least some will approach it emotionally and with significant baggage, any justification, however legally or logically spurious, is probably sufficient for a not guilty verdict.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    Russia is now destroying Wagner Group graves.

https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1695044436038693017

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

The flaw in your argument is an assumption that the jury will approach the case logically and correctly. At least some will approach it emotionally and with significant baggage, any justification, however legally or logically spurious, is probably sufficient for a not guilty verdict.
    The jury instructions will be pretty clear on what is and is not legally available, as opposed to the facts which the jury will judge on. Doesn't guarantee one person cannot scupper, but juries generally seem to get by.

They may even not be allowed to put forth some defences depending on pre trial motions and various legal points? Some charges might even get excluded for the same reason.

Russia is now destroying Wagner Group graves.

https://x.com/wartranslated/status/1695044436038693017

Watching the Russian army and Wagner go up against each other is like watching a cobra fighting a rattlesnake.

You want them both to die the most painful death the other can inflict...
  • Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

Belief does come into it though. Not about the underlying stolen election point, but on aspects. For example, Cheseboro may well argue that his legal advice, even if it can be shown to be incorrect (and I think it very obviously can), was genuinely incompetent legal advice rather than providing cover for a criminal scheme.
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Bluff called.

I think in one case looking to disbar one if the co defendants it basically said 'even if you thought x was unconstitutional and that y was therefore OK, that would be a matter for a court to rule on, not you to ignore the law preemptively.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Sunak speaks for Scotland, Tories gain all the Glasgow seats next year?

Poll shows most Scots back Sunak’s oil plans for the North Sea

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/poll-shows-most-scots-back-sunak-s-plans-for-the-north-sea-q23c2f0n7

Sadly not but it may improve their chances of holding their seats in the north east near Aberdeen.
    Its all in play - it depends how other factors play out. Supporting the oil and gas industry feels like an obvious thing to do. I keep having people trying to school me online about actually how much of the revenue goes into bigcorp pockets and how actualy we'll export much of the oil we drill actually. Yes I know, but as the world transitions away from oil why can't we make money selling whats left of ours rather than spending money buying from someone else?

Problem for the Tories is that being pro-oil is also them being anti farming and fishing and people and business and renewables. They have that one thing right for the local economy and everything else wrong for the local economy. So the question for Lickspittle Duguid etc is will people put king oil over everything else? Because whilst I agree with him on that he is wrong on every other subject.
    If Dolittle is the answer then Scotland is truly F**ked and people in North East are thicker than a bag of mince.
    Do you actually like anybody, Malc? (Other than Mrs G and Alex Salmond, of course.)
    Ydoethur, don't be a silly boy , it is politician's and that arsehole Foreskin that I don't like. There are a few exceptions as you say , I liked Ken Clarke, Lord Tonypandy, Betty Boothroyd , Harold Wilson and many others from the days when honest people were in politics not just to fill their own pockets.
    Interesting you include Wilson, one of the most duplicitous men (along with Arthur Balfour) ever to be PM in the list of honest politicians.

Shows how good he was at faking integrity.
    @ydoethur I was a young boy then and not versed in the wiles of politicians, too young and innocent. probably his pipe as my father smoked the pipe.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/Sam_Dumitriu/status/1694990887439233239?s=20

Sam Dumitriu takes a look at why nothing gets built in Britain.

THIS is the highlight of his work:

£267m has been spent on the Lower Thames Crossing’s 63,000 page planning application.

Norway built the world’s longest road tunnel and the world’s deepest subsea tunnel for less.

We aren't comparing Norwegian tunnelling and British tunnelling. We're comparing Norwegian tunnelling and British paperwork.

Isn’t the difference here the location? One is being built in the middle of the capital.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

£267m has been spent on the Lower Thames Crossing’s 63,000 page planning application.

Norway built the world’s longest road tunnel and the world’s deepest subsea tunnel for less.

We aren't comparing Norwegian tunnelling and British tunnelling. We're comparing Norwegian tunnelling and British paperwork.

Isn’t the difference here the location? One is being built in the middle of the capital.
    Are you an estate agent? Stretching it a bit to call Tilbury and Gravesend in the middle of the capital......
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Are you an estate agent? Stretching it a bit to call Tilbury and Gravesend in the middle of the capital......
    Hah, fair enough!
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

No planning application requires 63,000 pages - that's swamping people in paperwork to hide key facts..
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    edited August 2023
    Surely, in the UK, we talk about knickers rather than panties?

Panties is one of those odd Americanisms only familiar to us from sordid US crime reporting, and unsavoury pornography.
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,005
    This is just brilliant. Gave me goosebumps.

You ask “What is their Policy?”
    The best video put out by Ukraine in this war so far….

https://twitter.com/ManiatiGeorge/status/1694704347702083949?s=20
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

The... paperwork for Tilbury & Gravesend...
    eek said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

No planning application requires 63,000 pages - that's swamping people in paperwork to hide key facts..
    A snitch at £4,238 a page too.
    The Wilson/Heath/Callaghan years were a kind of low point in the UK’s 20th century history.

None really left a mark external to the British Isles.
    Yes, even allowing for entry into the European Community.

Wilson in particular seems disappointing.
    After years of tired Tory role, he bequeathed only a slogans about white heat, a retreat from “East of Aden”, a panicked devaluation, and shitty labour relations.

Yet he was an incredibly clever man.
    Where did it all go wrong?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    edited August 2023
    Should sane people actually be hoping Trump wins the nomination?

Seems that Ramaswamy and DeSantis may well be significantly worse.

Trump has already actually been President for four years and, as objectionable as he is, we've already seen him in action. For example, whatever he may have said, he didn't actually try to leave NATO.

He's also getting older and people tend to mellow with age. Plus the boredom factor - once you've done a job for a while you become more inclined to sit back and enjoy the office rather than bothering to do anything new.

In contrast, Ramaswamy or DeSantis taking office for the first time at a much younger age with much higher energy levels may be much more dangerous.

Comparing to the UK, it feels like Trump = Johnson whereas Ramas and DeSantis = Truss. Seems likely that Ramas and DeSantis may do on foreign policy what Truss did on economic policy. Trump didn't actually do that.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited August 2023
    Nigelb said:

87% of Democrats, 51% of Independents and 50% of US voters overall want to see Trump jailed if convicted.

However just 11% of Republicans want to see Trump jailed if convicted, 43% think even then he should face no penalty and 19% think he should face a financial penalty only
    Key moment potentially coming up in Ukraine.

Tokmak UPD ‼️

Houston! The Russians have a problem

Breakthrough by Ukraine reported

https://twitter.com/PStyle0ne1/status/1695058164448678030?s=20
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

The Wilson/Heath/Callaghan years were a kind of low point in the UK’s 20th century history.

After years of tired Tory role, he bequeathed only a slogans about white heat, a retreat from “East of Aden”, a panicked devaluation, and shitty labour relations.

He didn't take the UK into Vietnam.
    Carnyx said:

He also abolished the death penalty, decriminalised gay sex, started rebuilding the British railway system and began a serious effort at co-ordinated government.

He was also a liar, hypocrite, fantasist and cigar-smoking brandy-swilling poseur but it's a bit harsh to say he was 'disappointing.' Ultimately, the situation he faced was an impossible one for all sorts of reasons.
    Carnyx said:

A good decision, but kind of peripheral.
    Australia went into Vietnam and avoided the kind of national trauma suffered by the US.
    AlistairM said:

My eyes were welling up with tears by the end, and I don't even like Churchill.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

Panties is one of those odd Americanisms only familiar to us from sordid US crime reporting, and unsavoury pornography.

It's a word to avoid at all costs.
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

He also abolished the death penalty, decriminalised gay sex, started rebuilding the British railway system and began a serious effort at co-ordinated government.

He was also a liar, hypocrite, fantasist and cigar-smoking brandy-swilling poseur but it's a bit harsh to say he was 'disappointing.' Ultimately, the situation he faced was an impossible one for all sorts of reasons.
    He also began the process of replacing most of the grammar schools with comprehensives, was too cosy with the unions, taxed and spent too heavily and had to be bailed out by the IMF

Carnyx said:

Australia went into Vietnam and avoided the kind of national trauma suffered by the US.
    Canada under Trudeau like the UK under Wilson also didn't join the US in Vietnam and as a result got lots of draft dodgers. Bill Clinton of course conveniently got a Rhodes scholarship to Oxford in 1968
    edited August 2023

Carnyx said:

Doesn't mean the UK would avoid trauma. Being East of Suez, or not, was already a hugely controversial issue. The armed forces were already overstretched and running down, with major defence cuts necessary, helped by the Americans' efforts, not to mention the UK civil service and manufacturers*. And conscription had only just ended, in 1960, so there was a real risk of bringing that back in if it was anything more than the relatively small commitment of professional servicemen that the Aussies made (army contingent with armour and artillery; I don't recall any aircraft, possibly helicopters and tactical fixed wing transports).

I also suspect that the UK was more on the way to the youth vs the rest conflict than Australia, but may be wrong here.

*Notably the TSR.2/F-111/F-4/F-4K/M fiasco, ditto Skybolt.
    Pulpstar said:

World beating.
    edited August 2023
    MikeL said:

Should sane people actually be hoping Trump wins the nomination?

Seems that Ramaswamy and DeSantis may well be significantly worse.

Trump has already actually been President for four years and, as objectionable as he is, we've already seen him in action. For example, whatever he may have said, he didn't actually try to leave NATO.

He's also getting older and people tend to mellow with age. Plus the boredom factor - once you've done a job for a while you become more inclined to sit back and enjoy the office rather than bothering to do anything new.

In contrast, Ramaswamy or DeSantis taking office for the first time at a much younger age with much higher energy levels may be much more dangerous.

Comparing to the UK, it feels like Trump = Johnson whereas Ramas and DeSantis = Truss. Seems likely that Ramas and DeSantis may do on foreign policy what Truss did on economic policy. Trump didn't actually do that.

So Haley is Mordaunt and Pence is Sunak then?
    edited August 2023
    kinabalu said:

It's a word to avoid at all costs.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

He also began the process of replacing most of the grammar schools with comprehensives, was too cosy with the unions, taxed and spent too heavily and had to be bailed out by the IMF
    On a point of fact - it was Attlee 'began the process of replacing grammar schools with comprehensives,' although Wilson revived an idea that had gone nowhere from 1951-64 and ran with it.
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

It’s the lies, hypocrisy, fantasism and the rest that I’m interested in. I think he was economically extremely poor, despite economics supposedly being his special subject. Were his character defects and his economic policy connected somehow? And what really explains his character defects?

I’m bringing him up because Keir is said to view Wilson, rather than Blair or Attlee, as an inspiration.

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

It’s the lies, hypocrisy, fantasism and the rest that I’m interested in. I think he was economically extremely poor, despite economics supposedly being his special subject.

I’m bringing him up because Keir is said to view Wilson, rather than Blair or Attlee, as an inspiration.
    Despite? Possibly because of?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

It’s the lies, hypocrisy, fantasism and the rest that I’m interested in. I think he was economically extremely poor, despite economics supposedly being his special subject.

See my amend.
    edited August 2023
    The Price is on the money!

Edit - and with that caught and bowl Gloucestershire will be finding inventive ways to throw away their wickets for fewer than 177 runs.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.
    I'm still sticking with my comment.

Here is a serious question.

Can anyone name a really good economist who proved successful at running an economy?
    Pulpstar said:

World beating.
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

87% of Democrats, 51% of Independents and 50% of US voters overall want to see Trump jailed if convicted.

However just 11% of Republicans want to see Trump jailed if convicted, 43% think even then he should face no penalty and 19% think he should face a financial penalty only
    Yes, you're right to point out that the GOP is a disgrace in its current form.

The polling is no consolation for them, or for Trump, though.
    According to this study, British infrastructure projects are pretty much the most expensive ON EARTH.

https://x.com/sam_dumitriu/status/1694990887439233239?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

According to this study, British infrastructure projects are pretty much the most expensive ON EARTH.

https://x.com/sam_dumitriu/status/1694990887439233239?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

How do the ones on the Moon and Mars compare, then?
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

Can anyone name a really good economist who proved successful at running an economy?
    Keynes in the Great War? But I ask out of ignorance.
    Carnyx said:

Similarly costly, I'd expect.
    Im not saying that Russian air crash investigators aren’t concerned about preserving evidence, but:
    https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1695056208778977610
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

He was also pretty good with college finances.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Nigelb said:

Im not saying that Russian air crash investigators aren’t concerned about preserving evidence, but:

Is that an old video from the Handley Page factory production line?
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Similarly costly, I'd expect.
    Full Apollo program was $280 Bn, inflation adjusted (£222 Bn) so probably less than HS2 will arrive at.
    edited August 2023

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

It’s the lies, hypocrisy, fantasism and the rest that I’m interested in. I think he was economically extremely poor, despite economics supposedly being his special subject. Were his character defects and his economic policy connected somehow? And what really explains his character defects?

So if Sir Keir is Wilson and Rishi is Douglas-Home, who is the Tories' Ted Heath? Barclay?
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

Keynes wasn't running the economy in the Great War. He was a mostly fairly junior adviser to the Treasury. It was after the war as economic adviser to the Versailles Delegation that he became significant (and all his recommendations were ignored).
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

On a point of fact - it was Attlee 'began the process of replacing grammar schools with comprehensives,' although Wilson revived an idea that had gone nowhere from 1951-64 and ran with it.
    As far as I am aware there was not a single comprehensive introduced until after Labour won in 1964. Had Home been re elected in 1964 he had a manifesto commitment to keep selective education and grammar schools
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

Also the bureaucrats at MITI.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_of_International_Trade_and_Industry
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

As far as I am aware there was not a single comprehensive introduced until after Labour won in 1964. Had Home been re elected in 1964 he had a manifesto commitment to keep selective education and grammar schools
    Then you are aware wrongly. The first ones opened in 1950, including the former Newent Grammar School which first my father (1958-62) and somewhat later, I both attended.

They weren't called 'comprehensives,' they were called 'combined' schools, which may be throwing you off.

This article really is a keeper.
    Britain has been astonishingly badly served by a cabal of stupidity at Treasury and the Department of Transport, and no politician has ever cared enough to do anything about it.

Ironically, the closest we got to an infrastructure enthusiast was Johnson.

The good news is that Britain half looks like a developing country. If we can get infrastructure going, at a reasonable price, we should expect v good returns.

Look how astonishingly* popular Crossrail is.

*astonishing to anyone who works in Treasury.
  • Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

Britain's approach to conscription was notoriously undiscriminating in the First World War, so halfway through the war, John Maynard Keynes was called up. Luckily he was a conscientious objector so could carry on his outstanding work at the Treasury.
    Nigelb said:

What's the problem? They completed the report the day before yesterday anyway.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

World beating.
    There's lots to think about in that thread - and he is probably broadly right, but his comparing a cut & cover metro system in Madrid with the deepest tube line in london, the jubilee, is a bit off. I assume there are other similar uses of the broad brush.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Then you are aware wrongly. The first ones opened in 1950, including the former Newent Grammar School which first my father (1958-62) and somewhat later, I both attended.

They weren't called 'comprehensives,' they were called 'combined' schools, which may be throwing you off.
    Can't have been many of them then. 'Indeed, not only was the Attlee government fully committed to the tripartite system, it made matters even worse by restricting entry to grammar schools, by refusing to allow secondary modern schools to run exam courses, and by rejecting proposals from several local authorities to introduce comprehensive schools.'
    https://education-uk.org/history/chapter10.html
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

Keynes wasn't running the economy in the Great War. He was a mostly fairly junior adviser to the Treasury. It was after the war as economic adviser to the Versailles Delegation that he became significant (and all his recommendations were ignored).
    Arguably Keynes to some extent ran the world economy, posthumously, in the form of the economic institutions set up after WWII, which set some sort of consensus for how capitalism should be managed for most of the next three decades.

And the postwar boom is undeniable.
  • NEW THREAD

• glwglw Posts: 9,799

We have the world's best and most experienced NIMBYs, plus successive governments who claimed in opposition that they wanted to build, build, build, but get very cold feet once in office.
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Can't have been many of them then. 'Indeed, not only was the Attlee government fully committed to the tripartite system, it made matters even worse by restricting entry to grammar schools, by refusing to allow secondary modern schools to run exam courses, and by rejecting proposals from several local authorities to introduce comprehensive schools.'
    As against that, I give you Peter Mandler:

'Labour [under Attlee] was ambivalent about the grammar school...it was inherited by the Labour government and gingerly defended by Ellen Wilkinson...for the first few years after the war...[but] Labour party conference began to pass motions in favour of comprehensivations as early as 1950.'

The truth is that actually the Butler act was deliberately vague in terms of what education should look like - the key was that all areas should provide an education up to the age of 15 from the rates. In most cases that was based on selection, but it did not have to be and Labour (and for the matter of that, the Conservatives, but I imagine you don't want to mention that) had quite a long tradition of doing that through single schools rather than a split system.

The comprehensive system as it began in 1950 was actually a compromise put forward between those who thought there should be no selection at all and those who thought secondary moderns (as your author notes) shouldn't be forbidden to run courses other than practical ones (which I might add very rapidly became Conservative policy in the 1950s because it was far too many of their target vote in the lower middle class had children who did perfectly well in the 11+ but couldn't find a place at a grammar school).

https://www.jstor.org/stable/26360498
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

See my amend.

The shire squire Tory answer would probably be that instincts, hard work and bottom are better than ideas.

It's possible- if you don't start the job with ideas, you're less likely to treat the system as your kit to experiment with. (Yes, Kwarteng, I am looking at you.) See also Gove at education.

And Clarke and Healey didn't start with much economic background, did they?
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

'Labour [under Attlee] was ambivalent about the grammar school...it was inherited by the Labour government and gingerly defended by Ellen Wilkinson...for the first few years after the war...[but] Labour party conference began to pass motions in favour of comprehensivations as early as 1950.'

The truth is that actually the Butler act was deliberately vague in terms of what education should look like - the key was that all areas should provide an education up to the age of 15 from the rates. In most cases that was based on selection, but it did not have to be and Labour (and for the matter of that, the Conservatives, but I imagine you don't want to mention that) had quite a long tradition of doing that through single schools rather than a split system.

The comprehensive system as it began in 1950 was actually a compromise put forward between those who thought there should be no selection at all and those who thought secondary moderns (as your author notes) shouldn't be forbidden to run courses other than practical ones (which I might add very rapidly became Conservative policy in the 1950s because it was far too many of their target vote in the lower middle class had children who did perfectly well in the 11+ but couldn't find a place at a grammar school).

Yet the Tories retained the existing grammar schools still throughout their period in office from 1951 to 1964 regardless of cross party agreement to allow academic subjects to be studied in secondary moderns.

The 1964 Tory manifesto was clear 'The Socialist plan to impose the comprehensive principle, regardless of the wishes of parents, teachers and authorities, is therefore foolishly doctrinaire. Their leader may protest that grammar schools will be abolished ' over his dead body", but abolition would be the inevitable and disastrous consequence of the policy to which they are committed. Conservative policy, by contrast, is to encourage provision, in good schools of every description, of opportunities for all children to go forward to the limit of their capacity.'
    http://www.conservativemanifesto.com/1964/1964-conservative-manifesto.shtml#:~:text=Their leader may protest that,to which they are committed.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

This article really is a keeper.
    Britain has been astonishingly badly served by a cabal of stupidity at Treasury and the Department of Transport, and no politician has ever cared enough to do anything about it.

Ironically, the closest we got to an infrastructure enthusiast was Johnson.

The good news is that Britain half looks like a developing country. If we can get infrastructure going, at a reasonable price, we should expect v good returns.

Look how astonishingly* popular Crossrail is.

*astonishing to anyone who works in Treasury.
    I believe that every new railway line that has opened since 1990 has exceeded its passenger targets. That's a very low number, though.

The Ebbw Valley line reopened in 2008.

". In 2002, passenger journeys were forecast at 22,000 per month. Whereas by 2008, 44,000 journeys had been made on the service each month; also exceeding the monthly target of 33,000 set for 2012. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbw_Valley_Railway

JFBI. (Just F***ing Build It)
    edited August 2023
    This thread has crashed like a TSR.2 project manager's wallchart.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Yet the Tories retained the existing grammar schools still throughout their period in office from 1951 to 1964 regardless of cross party agreement to allow academic subjects to be studied in secondary moderns.

The 1964 Tory manifesto was clear 'The Socialist plan to impose the comprehensive principle, regardless of the wishes of parents, teachers and authorities, is therefore foolishly doctrinaire. Their leader may protest that grammar schools will be abolished ' over his dead body", but abolition would be the inevitable and disastrous consequence of the policy to which they are committed. Conservative policy, by contrast, is to encourage provision, in good schools of every description, of opportunities for all children to go forward to the limit of their capacity.'
    http://www.conservativemanifesto.com/1964/1964-conservative-manifesto.shtml#:~:text=Their leader may protest that,to which they are committed.
    Although again, it was actually Edward Boyle who laid the groundwork for their abolition under Macmillan. When Boyle replaced Eccles in 1962, he was told 90 of 163 LEAs were planning to abolish the 11+ and just 33 planned to retain it - but he did nothing to stop it. Be careful of just taking one slightly atypical manifesto under Home as gospel.

(In fact, I should point out that the Borough of Southampton effectively abolished selection by moving it to 16 in 1959, and Leicestershire moved it to 14 in the same year, with the approval of the then minister David Eccles which involved the conversion of a number of schools to de facto comprehensives. So your statement is not entirely true.)
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Carnyx said:

This thread has crashed like a TSR.2 project manager's wallchart.

That's a bit like throwing a grenade into a locked room. You could only have made it worse by saying 'Avro Arrow' ...
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Although again, it was actually Edward Boyle who laid the groundwork for their abolition under Macmillan. When Boyle replaced Eccles in 1962, he was told 90 of 163 LEAs were planning to abolish the 11+ and just 33 planned to retain it - but he did nothing to stop it. Be careful of just taking one slightly atypical manifesto under Home as gospel.

(In fact, I should point out that the Borough of Southampton effectively abolished selection by moving it to 16 in 1959, and Leicestershire moved it to 14 in the same year, with the approval of the then minister David Eccles which involved the conversion of a number of schools to de facto comprehensives. So your statement is not entirely true.)
    Home's manifesto was quite clear, had the Tories been re elected they would not have allowed conversion of grammars to comprehensives. Hence in 1964 the vast majority of LAs still had grammars and secondary moderns but by 1970 a majority had already moved to comprehensives. Selection at 14 or even 16 is still selection, it is not comprehensive.

Now of course you can't even ballot to open new grammars, only petition to ballot to close the few remaining
    Carnyx said:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/08/24/exp-india-space-manish-purohit-intv-082410aseg1-cnni-world.cnn

"India's budget of around $74 million for the successful landing of a spacecraft on the Moon was less than half of the price tag for Hollywood blockbuster "Interstellar.""
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Home's manifesto was quite clear, had the Tories been re elected they would not have allowed conversion of grammars to comprehensives. Hence in 1964 the vast majority of LAs still had grammars and secondary moderns but by 1970 a majority had already moved to comprehensives
    In fact, a majority still had not, but almost all of them were planning to. Thatcher rescinded Labour's order to LEAs to bring forward plans for comprehensive systems, but she didn't order them to stop. In fact, in overseeing the conversion of over 2000 schools, she proved more energetic in conversions than Labour had even though she was personally in favour of grammars.

The more amusing story is that where referendums were held on retaining grammars they were usually lost.

Even more amusingly, one of the counties where such a referendum was held (and lost) - Gloucestershire - was both one of the earliest adopters of the comprehensive model and is now one of the last counties with significant numbers of grammars.
  • People have been talking about MPs casework, and what happens when MP is defeated.

Brooks Newmark ex-MP, the rich little rich boy from the mean tennis courts of Fairfield County, Conn.

Now (according to wiki) lecturing at U of Ox on political science.

Would love to catch his graduate seminar on constituent relations by elected representatives!
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Home's manifesto was quite clear, had the Tories been re elected they would not have allowed conversion of grammars to comprehensives. Hence in 1964 the vast majority of LAs still had grammars and secondary moderns but by 1970 a majority had already moved to comprehensives
    In fact, a majority still had not, but almost all of them were planning to. Thatcher rescinded Labour's order to LEAs to bring forward plans for comprehensive systems, but she didn't order them to stop. In fact, in overseeing the conversion of over 2000 schools, she proved more energetic in conversions than Labour had even though she was personally in favour of grammars.

The more amusing story is that where referendums were held on retaining grammars they were usually lost.

Even more amusingly, one of the counties where such a referendum was held (and lost) - Gloucestershire - was both one of the earliest adopters of the comprehensive model and is now one of the last counties with significant numbers of grammars.
    1970 was different as by then over half of LAs had already converted to comprehensives and Heath, in whose government Thatcher was Education Sec, had no manifesto commitment to stop grammars being turned into comprehensives, especially by Labour councils, as Home had had in 1964.

Not true to say that referendums on retaining grammars were all lost. Ripon had a ballot on retaining its grammars in 2000 and parents voted 2:1 to keep them

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/mar/11/grammarschools.secondaryschools
    edited August 2023

Brooks Newmark ex-MP, the rich little rich boy from the mean tennis courts of Fairfield County, Conn.

Now (according to wiki) lecturing at U of Ox on political science.

Would love to catch his graduate seminar on constituent relations by elected representatives!
    I campaigned in Braintree for Brooks in 2001 when he lost by just 358 votes before winning in 2005, he does a great deal for Ukranian refugees now, he is a good man despite his 'incident'
    AlistairM said:

Needs a pearl harbour variant for tge US Market- they are the vulnerable link as the GOP turns against Ukraine.
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

1970 was different as by then over half of LAs had already converted to comprehensives and Heath, in whose government Thatcher was Education Sec, had no manifesto commitment to stop grammars being turned into comprehensives, especially by Labour councils, as Home had had in 1964.

Not true to say that referendums on retaining grammars were all lost. Ripon had a ballot on retaining its grammars in 2000 and parents voted 2:1 to keep them

No, Hyufd, that was under different legislation. I was talking about the 1960s.

(Also reading comprehension fail - I said 'usually' not 'all.')

You may have forgotten - or not known - that Heath was personally in favour of comprehensives.

If you are really interested, this is quite a good summary of teh complexities and it's free to read.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/111049918.pdf

Basically - there were around 200 comprehensives in England and Wales by 1964, following an early tranche opened in 1949-50 (he mentions London, but there were others as I noted) and many of them were opened by Conservative councils, including Anglesey and West Yorkshire where it was nearly impossible to maintain two systems, never mind three.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

You may have forgotten - or not known - that Heath was personally in favour of comprehensives.

If you are really interested, this is quite a good summary of teh complexities and it's free to read.

Basically - there were around 200 comprehensives in England and Wales by 1964, following an early tranche opened in 1949-50 (he mentions London, but there were others as I noted) and many of them were opened by Conservative councils, including Anglesey and West Yorkshire where it was nearly impossible to maintain two systems, never mind three.
    Thatcher was Education Secretary in the 1970s not the 1960s.

Heath was a hypocrite, having come from a working class background and used the grammar he attended to get to Oxford, the civil service and Parliament he then did nothing to preserve them as Tory leader and PM. He was more of a liberal than conservative there as in most else.

With a few exceptions it was Labour councils which mostly pushed comprehensives, the few remaining grammar schools today are almost all in areas with Conservative councils not Labour councils
    edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Thatcher was Education Secretary in the 1970s not the 1960s.

Heath was a hypocrite, having come from a working class background and used the grammar he attended to get to Oxford, the civil service and Parliament he then did nothing to preserve them as Tory leader and PM. He was more of a liberal than conservative there as in most else.

With a few exceptions it was Labour councils which mostly pushed comprehensives, the few remaining grammar schools today are almost all in areas with Conservative councils not Labour councils
    [Deleted because I know full well the answer to the question was 'yes.']

We were talking about the original mass transformation of the grammar/secondary modern schools. That lasted from around 1958 to about 1975. Most of the actual conversions happened in the period 1966 to 1973, for practical reasons. But there were a significant number of earlier ones, numbering in the hundreds by 1964, which flatly contradicts your earlier claim that the transformation happened only after 1964 (which is where we started). Many of them were in Conservative-run areas, because actually where you don't have enough children to justify two sets of schools, it makes sense to go with one combined school, which also exploded your claim that it was only Labour that wanted them. Finally, even where selection was maintained there were places where it was moved so far as to be effectively eliminated, further damaging your claim that it was all pickled in aspic from 1951-64.

Thatcher was the longest serving EdSec in that period, so oversaw much of them.

But there were some LEAs which tried to resist the Labour pressure for uniformity, via referendums, which were usually lost. The irony being that one of those areas is still selective.

I hope that is now clear for you. Sorry if the facts conflict with your deeply held beliefs. They remain facts.
This discussion has been closed.