Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A suggested betting market for Mid-Bedfordshire – politicalbetting.com

Comments

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

We should build more British new towns is my preference. Not go two-footed into American cities, I never suggested that.

We should build more towns with public infrastructure and no cars from day one. I agree.

Cars are terrible.
    You are a fanatic and a zealot. Or trolling and taking the piss, I'm not sure.
    Just because I don't agree with you it doesn't make me a troll. This is just like Russia all over again. You're very dismissive of people that don't agree with you.

I am not taking the piss. Public transport is indeed the worst form of transport there is.
    "Public transport is indeed the worst form of transport there is."

Agreed. Expensive, slow, unreliable, doesn't even work without subsidies.

Private transport is much better. 👍
    ROFL, how much does the taxpayer pay for roads every year?
    The exchequer is about £24Bn in profit from drivers.

Expenditure:
    Road expenditure ~ £11.3 Bn

Revenue:
    Vehicle Excise duty ~ £7Bn
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn
    No consideration of negative externalities? Congestion (economic cost of commute and delivery times is enormous), noise pollution, carbon emissions, air pollution, road traffic casualties...
    There's VAT on new cars as revenue too, and the subsequent economic activity that being able to drive somewhere can generate.
    Can you put some numbers on the externalities ?
    Can you put a number on the additional economic activity you get from driving versus having a decent public transport system?
    Many tens if not hundreds of billions.

The Exchequer alone takes (net) many tens of billions from driving, and subsidises (net) public transport by many billions more. The public largely makes economically rational choices so are choosing the roads despite not because of the Exchequer's heavy hand because that is the rational choice and they'd be worse off with alternatives.

As for your supposed externalities you claimed, most of them aren't real for the future.

Congestion - This is largely BS as an externality since the ones who 'pay' for congestion are the ones using the road, if you're using a train, or working from home, then the fact that there was traffic on the road didn't affect you; plus with better infrastructure congestion can be eliminated or reduced anyway. Furthermore how do you measure it? EG if a journey takes 20 minutes in clear traffic, 25 minutes with traffic, or an hour on public transport - then does a 25 minute journey equate to 5 minutes "lost" in congestion? Or 35 minutes gained by not using public transport? Almost all reports into congestion will look at the 'cost' of the lost 5 minutes, and not the 35 more minutes lost had the car not been used.

Noise pollution - not an issue with electric cars.

Carbon emissions - not an issue with electric cars.

Air pollution - not an issue with electric cars.

Road traffic casualties - Roads in the UK are very safe and casualties are incredibly low and falling as cars have improved dramatically in quality and safety.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Did something just shift in world power?

No.

But it's an amazing achievement, especially as the failure rate of these missions is so high. It's also been done on a relative shoestring.

Congrats to ISRO.
    Yep it really is an amazing achievement.

I'm conscious that Modi was watching on from BRICS.

Just feels kind-of symbolic, with the US a mess (imho), but perhaps I'm reading too much into this.
    You are reading too much into it IMO. Iran probably could get a probe to the Moon (and perhaps even land on it) if it became a national priority. What matters is the science it can do. And as the Indian Mars orbiter shows, that can be problematic:
    https://blog.jatan.space/p/missing-science-from-mangalyaan

NASA's achievements are massive, and a significant part of that is the way they have shared vast volumes of data with the world. China is much less keen to (allegedly even when an instrument on a satellite was provided by a western country on the agreement data from the instrument would be shared), and I fear India might go the same way.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    edited August 2023
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

There must be a significant chance that the new CalMac ferry never sets sail.

BBC News - New CalMac ferries delay after safety changes ordered
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66585909

Did you read the piece which you link to? What in it suggested to you that the new CalMac ferry might never set sail?
    I did. Given the number of mistakes so far, the complexity of RORO ferries, and the political pressure on all this, I just wouldn't be surprised if there is something much more seriously wrong with them.

IANAE, but my friend in the MN is very cautious about working on ferries and has a lot of respect for the CalMac crews. I think MS Estonia has put the fear in him.
    I would have said the much bigger concern is they've not only missed every single deadline but as they put right each fault another one appears.
    There is a generic and unavoidable problem with the basic roro quick on/offloading concept. Vulnerability of bow and stern doors, free surface water on the car deck sloshing around and making momentary lists worse, taking in more water till it destabilises and turns turtle, etc. Princess Victoria foundered in the Irish Sea in 1946 after the stern doors were beaten in in a storm, so it's certainly been known about for at least that long - well before Herald of Free Enterprisea and Estonia. Careful operation is crucial as seen (or rather not) in HFE.
    Yes, I agree, but it's not as though this was unknown about when the ferries were designed, is it?

I mean, 1946 and even 1987 and 1994 were some time ago now.

Ferries of this size and design should not be six years late.
    Sure, but the ro-ro issue is not the immediate issue with the CalMac ship - or rather it is an issue, but it's something that can't be done much with*. It explains Eabhal's friend's comments re the basic concept and re the CalMac crews. Which would also apply to any decent ferry crew organization.

*Re Malmesbury's point earlier, I'm not sure if it is possible to design an "acceptable-to-market" civilian ferry with that inherent safety feature, as opposed to a Landing Ship Tank without the grey paint.

Well, in that case I think we're talking at cross purposes.

My point is that every time the yard thinks it's getting on top of things, it finds a new way to mess up.

You were saying that ROROs are so complex and things can go wrong so badly that they need to be careful.

To which my answer is, yes I know the design is vulnerable but they surely knew that at the time they designed it and it isn't an excuse for this many cockups.
    There are fundamental issues and there are detail issues (comparatively) which may or may not relate to the former.

Basically if you want a civilian Ro-Ro you're starting there: whatever happens in the yard design and fabrication is another matter, and well worthy of attention.

Though some of this is the [edit] kind of innovatory stuff which always causes problems. Not wise to rely on it without spare [edit] ships, that's for sure.
  • Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

We should build more British new towns is my preference. Not go two-footed into American cities, I never suggested that.

We should build more towns with public infrastructure and no cars from day one. I agree.

Cars are terrible.
    Just because I don't agree with you it doesn't make me a troll. This is just like Russia all over again. You're very dismissive of people that don't agree with you.

I am not taking the piss. Public transport is indeed the worst form of transport there is.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn
    No consideration of negative externalities? Congestion (economic cost of commute and delivery times is enormous), noise pollution, carbon emissions, air pollution, road traffic casualties...
    There's VAT on new cars as revenue too, and the subsequent economic activity that being able to drive somewhere can generate.
    Can you put a number on the additional economic activity you get from driving versus having a decent public transport system?
    The cut in commute times for a start. Generally outside london central your commute time will double with public transport at the least. Time spent commuting is time not spent doing something that provides any economic gains
    I did say "decent public transport".

And a big reason for reducing the number of cars on the road is to reduce congestion. That's the main delay to buses in Edinburgh, for example.
    Even with decent public transport it will still be a hub and spoke system where to get from a to b you will likely need to go to c first and change. A car you can go straight from a to b. As I have mentioned before where I live has a fairly decent bus sytem. Most places I want to go would take 10 to 15 min by car. They all pretty much take an hour plus by public transport because I have to go somewhere else from a and then wait for another bus to take me to b.
    Fair enough. Even with improvements in public transport, there will always be cases where people still need a car.
    There will, but it also shows the limits of "just build everything with space for cars".

Once you start putting in enough road and parking space for cars to work well, other ways of getting around start to work pretty badly. That's especially true of edge-of-town offices and shopping centres. Once stuff is dispersed, walking and cycling distances increase and you also struggle to get enough passengers together for attractive public transport to be viable.

Hence town and city centres. And that agglomeration seems to drive productivity which we're going to need to get out of (sweeping gesture) all of this.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

But it's an amazing achievement, especially as the failure rate of these missions is so high. It's also been done on a relative shoestring.

Congrats to ISRO.

Just feels kind-of symbolic, with the US a mess (imho), but perhaps I'm reading too much into this.
    If it symbolises anything it's India no longer looking up to Russia.
    What amazes me is that 54 years ago a man landed on the moon, and 52 years ago a man was driving an electric car around up there. This was with significantly less computer power than is in an air fryer. Yet all this time later it makes headlines around the world when a craft just lands on the moon. Its like the ZX80 being released now and people being in awe at the 1KB of static RAM.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Did you read the piece which you link to? What in it suggested to you that the new CalMac ferry might never set sail?
    I did. Given the number of mistakes so far, the complexity of RORO ferries, and the political pressure on all this, I just wouldn't be surprised if there is something much more seriously wrong with them.

IANAE, but my friend in the MN is very cautious about working on ferries and has a lot of respect for the CalMac crews. I think MS Estonia has put the fear in him.
    I would have said the much bigger concern is they've not only missed every single deadline but as they put right each fault another one appears.
    There is a generic and unavoidable problem with the basic roro quick on/offloading concept. Vulnerability of bow and stern doors, free surface water on the car deck sloshing around and making momentary lists worse, taking in more water till it destabilises and turns turtle, etc. Princess Victoria foundered in the Irish Sea in 1946 after the stern doors were beaten in in a storm, so it's certainly been known about for at least that long - well before Herald of Free Enterprisea and Estonia. Careful operation is crucial as seen (or rather not) in HFE.
    Yes, I agree, but it's not as though this was unknown about when the ferries were designed, is it?

Sure, but the ro-ro issue is not the immediate issue with the CalMac ship - or rather it is an issue, but it's something that can't be done much with*. It explains Eabhal's friend's comments re the basic concept and re the CalMac crews. Which would also apply to any decent ferry crew organization.

*Re Malmesbury's point earlier, I'm not sure if it is possible to design an "acceptable-to-market" civilian ferry with that inherent safety feature, as opposed to a Landing Ship Tank without the grey paint.

My point is that every time the yard thinks it's getting on top of things, it finds a new way to mess up.

You were saying that ROROs are so complex and things can go wrong so badly that they need to be careful.

To which my answer is, yes I know the design is vulnerable but they surely knew that at the time they designed it and it isn't an excuse for this many cockups.
    There are fundamental issues and there are detail issues (comparatively) which may or may not relate to the former.

Basically if you want a civilian Ro-Ro you're starting there: whatever happens in the yard design and fabrication is another matter, and well worthy of attention.

Though some of this is the [edit] kind of innovatory stuff which always causes problems. Not wise to rely on it without spares, that's for sure.
    But that can neither explain, nor excuse, this level of delay, cost overrun and incompetence.

Because that was well known before they tendered for the contract.

If Ferguson Marine didn't know it, then that's yet more evidence they should not be building them.

To put it in context, this much larger and more complex vessel was laid down in 2020 and has just entered service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_P&O_Pioneer
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    The new number one in the United States, "Rich Men North of Richmond" by Oliver Anthony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqSA-SY5Hro
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    edited August 2023

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

The Exchequer alone takes (net) many tens of billions from driving, and subsidises (net) public transport by many billions more. The public largely makes economically rational choices so are choosing the roads despite not because of the Exchequer's heavy hand because that is the rational choice and they'd be worse off with alternatives.

As for your supposed externalities you claimed, most of them aren't real for the future.

Congestion - This is largely BS as an externality since the ones who 'pay' for congestion are the ones using the road, if you're using a train, or working from home, then the fact that there was traffic on the road didn't affect you; plus with better infrastructure congestion can be eliminated or reduced anyway. Furthermore how do you measure it? EG if a journey takes 20 minutes in clear traffic, 25 minutes with traffic, or an hour on public transport - then does a 25 minute journey equate to 5 minutes "lost" in congestion? Or 35 minutes gained by not using public transport? Almost all reports into congestion will look at the 'cost' of the lost 5 minutes, and not the 35 more minutes lost had the car not been used.

Road traffic casualties - Roads in the UK are very safe and casualties are incredibly low and falling as cars have improved dramatically in quality and safety.
    While I, like you, am an EV advocate, it's not fair to say that noise pollution, carbon emissions and air pollution are not an issue with electric cars:
    • noise: tyres/wind noise more of an issue than the ICE above a certain speed
    • carbon emissions: the UK grid is far from carbon neutral at present, albeit the potential is at least there, longer term
    • air pollution: still particulates from braking etc (but much better than ICE and regenerative braking helps too)
    EVs are much better, but all three issues still exist, to varying extents.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn
    The cut in commute times for a start. Generally outside london central your commute time will double with public transport at the least. Time spent commuting is time not spent doing something that provides any economic gains

And a big reason for reducing the number of cars on the road is to reduce congestion. That's the main delay to buses in Edinburgh, for example.
    Even with decent public transport it will still be a hub and spoke system where to get from a to b you will likely need to go to c first and change. A car you can go straight from a to b.
    If there's parking at A and B, which very often in city centres there isn't.

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Even with decent public transport it will still be a hub and spoke system where to get from a to b you will likely need to go to c first and change. A car you can go straight from a to b. As I have mentioned before where I live has a fairly decent bus sytem. Most places I want to go would take 10 to 15 min by car. They all pretty much take an hour plus by public transport because I have to go somewhere else from a and then wait for another bus to take me to b.
    Fair enough. Even with improvements in public transport, there will always be cases where people still need a car.
    There will, but it also shows the limits of "just build everything with space for cars".

Once you start putting in enough road and parking space for cars to work well, other ways of getting around start to work pretty badly. That's especially true of edge-of-town offices and shopping centres. Once stuff is dispersed, walking and cycling distances increase and you also struggle to get enough passengers together for attractive public transport to be viable.

Hence town and city centres. And that agglomeration seems to drive productivity which we're going to need to get out of (sweeping gesture) all of this.
    Not really. Its perfectly possible to have spread out with dedicated and safe cycle and pedestrian paths. Indeed trying to cram everything into a single space is what increases danger, having bikes, cars and pedestrians on top of each other is not as safe for any of them.

And if you look at the big picture, productivity for cities is much lower than it first appears. For one, look at transport, the Exchequer is heavily subsidising public transport in cities, while heavily taxing driving and more spread out transportation. Pay your own way on an even scale without the Exchequer tilting the scales, and then see how productive things are without the Exchequer picking winners and losers.

For another house price to earning ratios tend to be worse, not better, in the cities. If you can earn more in a city but need to spend it all subsidising your landlords lifestyle, while you can have a house of your own, with a garden and a driveway in a town, then are you really better off in the city?

I'd rather live in my area, where my kids can play outside safely to their hearts content, bounce and burn their energy on their 10ft trampoline in our garden etc, than be cooped up in a rented flat in a city.
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

Are we still giving foreign aid to India?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Though some of this is the [edit] kind of innovatory stuff which always causes problems. Not wise to rely on it without spares, that's for sure.
    But that can neither explain, nor excuse, this level of delay, cost overrun and incompetence.

If Ferguson Marine didn't know it, then that's yet more evidence they should not be building them.

To put it in context, this much larger and more complex vessel was laid down in 2020 and has just entered service.

Oh, quite so. And yet the same basic commissioning organization does a good job of the railways, certainly by UK standards. Which raises some ijnteresting questions in my mind.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Certainly the willingness of Russian soldiers to fight and die for a pointless imperialistic war continues to disappoint those of us hoping for a Ukrainian victory, but as long as China does not provide replacements for Russian losses in military equipment I am confident that Ukraine will prevail.

Apparently one of Russia's pilots just took advantage of the generous deal Ukraine is offering on used helicopters. Either that or he got very badly lost, which seems to be the story the Russians are going for.
    More information on this story. The pilot might have a book and film deal by the end of the day.A military helicopter loaded with spare parts and his family moved ahead of time. That's a lot of planning.
    That’s an awesome story! 🇺🇦
    Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

And once someone has a car, it becomes both the default and the cheapest marginal cost for almost every journey they make.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Oh, quite so. And yet the same basic commissioning organization does a good job of the railways, certainly by UK standards. Which raises some ijnteresting questions in my mind.
    I think in my mind it raises the question posed by Trajan to Pliny the Younger - could it be that someone has profited?
    Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

While I, like you, am an EV advocate, it's not fair to say that noise pollution, carbon emissions and air pollution are not an issue with electric cars:
    • carbon emissions: the UK grid is far from carbon neutral at present, albeit the potential is at least there, longer term
    • air pollution: still particulates from braking etc (but much better than ICE and regenerative braking helps too)
    I'd like to see some citation/numbers on those. As far as I'm aware with regards to noise and air pollution the EVs effectively eliminate the problems and claims that they don't are typically pushed by those with an agenda (either anti-EV/pro-ICE, or anti-car).

As for carbon emissions, yes our grid isn't neutral yet but it needs to get there, and cars will help it get there, as cars can take renewable energy that wouldn't be needed at off-peak times which allows us to build more renewable capacity for on-peak times too.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Even with decent public transport it will still be a hub and spoke system where to get from a to b you will likely need to go to c first and change. A car you can go straight from a to b.
    Strangely there are a lot of places people want to go that aren't city or town centres. The only time for example I am in them is to get public transport back out to where I actually want to go. If I could avoid either I would because they are generally ugly places to be
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

viewcode said:

As @Cyclefree often says, we don’t do enough gardening posts here

So I present my plum tomato update

Oh good. More pictures of food. Yay. Lucky us.

[Pokes needles in own eyes]

😀😀😀😀
    I can’t wait to show you what I do with them!
    Ah, the joyous tomato. They look splendid.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750

Just back from walking my folks’ dog

I love days off and getting to walk without houses in the way

Forgot to say that the little light blue blob in the centre, just on the green, was a butterfly

When I hold my finger down on the picture on my phone, I can see it flutter by
    So it's not the North Pole, then.

Which raises the question why you needed to plant a flag ?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

While I don't disagree with the thrust of your comments, in the spirit of pedantic arguing that truly represents the PB way, electric cars do have carbon emissions at present because much of our electricity comes from fossil fuels. This is decreasing and will, hopefully, decrease to zero or near zero, but it certainly isn't there yet.

Likewise, there is air pollution associated with our current electricity generation (again, decreasing). It does help that that air pollution is moved away from the vehicles, which are generally where people are, to electricity generating plants, which are generally further away from people. There is also some air pollution, with particulates, that are associated with tyres on a road -- these remain even with electric cars.

• MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I am looking for a way to screw up this afternoon in the confident expectation that someone kind* is going to pay me £2.4m for doing so. What are the chances?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66590997

*or even a bank, for goodness sake.

Work in banking/financial services regulation for a bank.

Easiest job in the world.

When I screw up I just blame bloody bankers.

(Not that I have ever screwed up, my record is near perfect.)
    If it's only 'near' perfect that implies you have screwed up at least once.
    I once used an apostrophe incorrectly in a report.
    Surely misuse of the apostrophe can be explained away by auto correct. So no error.

Imagine if you lived and worked in Wales with autocorrect adding apostrophe's (thank you
    autocorrect) wi'lly-ni'lly to all those place name spe'llings inclusive of double 'lls

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

I'd like to see some citation/numbers on those. As far as I'm aware with regards to noise and air pollution the EVs effectively eliminate the problems and claims that they don't are typically pushed by those with an agenda (either anti-EV/pro-ICE, or anti-car).

As for carbon emissions, yes our grid isn't neutral yet but it needs to get there, and cars will help it get there, as cars can take renewable energy that wouldn't be needed at off-peak times which allows us to build more renewable capacity for on-peak times too.
    I don't know the actual numbers for comparative noise but having lived near major roads beforeit is certainly true that wheel noise is a far greater part of noise pollution than people seem to realise.

But that is by no means an argument against EVs. Getting rid of the engine noise is still a great leap forward.

I struggle with the idea of air pollution being a serious issue with EVs. Water pollution certainly will be though just as it is with ICEs. There is a staggering amount of microplastic/synthetic rubber that ends up in our water courses from tyre wear.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

(Snip)
    From memory, at any decent speed the majority of noise from a road car comes from wind and road resistance, so that will be approximately the same for EV or ICE-powered cars for any speed above typical city speeds. Although this depends so much on the design of cars and the type of tyres.

As for pollution; you get it from tyres and brakes as well. This *should* be increased as EVs are considerably heavier than ICE's of the same type, but brake wear might be reduced due to regen braking.
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

The new number one in the United States, "Rich Men North of Richmond" by Oliver Anthony.

First song ever to debut at #1 in the US from an artist with no record label. No promotion for it at all, just word of mouth. Brilliant to see cultural moments like that.

See also the film “Sound of Freedom”, which is one of the top films of the summer in the US, made on a tiny budget.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    Speaking of poles, successful landing by India on the Moon.
    https://twitter.com/isro/status/1694327198394863911

Pretty impressive achievement.

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

This, on noise, is quite interesting:
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003682X13000790
    (does seem to suggest that engine/exhause - i.e. ICE in combination - is the largest component, although perception at different frequencies may also be important)

EVs certainly help (as stated) but they don't eliminate all issues. I'd much rather live next to the M62 with all EVs than with ICEVs, but I'd still prefer not to live there. EVs will however make a big positive difference on our residential A-road (30mph limit) both in noise and pollution.
  • I concede to @BartholomewRoberts having changed his mind on a number of occasions.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

It is an achievement by India to land on a part of the Moon that has not been explored before.

However it is NASA which has launched the only 2 craft to travel beyond the solar system still, Voyager 1 and Voyager 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-66408851
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    The West has astronauts.
    The Russians have cosmonauts.
    The Chinese have taikonauts.

Apparently the Indians have vyomanauts.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

(does seem to suggest that engine/exhause - i.e. ICE in combination - is the largest component, although perception at different frequencies may also be important)

EVs certainly help (as stated) but they don't eliminate all issues. I'd much rather live next to the M62 with all EVs than with ICEVs, but I'd still prefer not to live there. EVs will however make a big positive difference on our residential A-road (30mph limit) both in noise and pollution.
    It's the motorbikes, at 2 in the morning on my quiet street, that could really do with being forced EV. That would eliminate about 99% of the ridiculous noise they make.
    edited August 2023
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

First song ever to debut at #1 in the US from an artist with no record label. No promotion for it at all, just word of mouth. Brilliant to see cultural moments like that.

See also the film “Sound of Freedom”, which is one of the top films of the summer in the US, made on a tiny budget.
    Both are alt-right nutjob affairs.

I concede to @BartholomewRoberts having changed his mind on a number of occasions.

Has anyone ever seen Keir Starmer and Bartholomew Roberts in the same room?

The West has astronauts.

Which is one of those great mysteries because they all use the greek suffix -naut even though taiko and vyomano (new to me) aren't greek.

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

So the far-left nutjobs have been saying.
  • TimS said:

The West has astronauts.

Which is one of those great mysteries because they all use the greek suffix -naut even though taiko and vyomano (new to me) aren't greek.
    Vyomanonautgate?

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

What amazes me is that 54 years ago a man landed on the moon, and 52 years ago a man was driving an electric car around up there. This was with significantly less computer power than is in an air fryer. Yet all this time later it makes headlines around the world when a craft just lands on the moon. Its like the ZX80 being released now and people being in awe at the 1KB of static RAM.
    "54 years ago a man landed on the moon"? Have you never seen Capricorn One?

The first moon landing was Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece.
    edited August 2023
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Strangely there are a lot of places people want to go that aren't city or town centres. The only time for example I am in them is to get public transport back out to where I actually want to go. If I could avoid either I would because they are generally ugly places to be
    There are also many beautiful city centres, but aside from a handful in Britain (Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, York, one or two other small cathedral cities and er, that's it) most of them are on the continent or in North Africa and the Middle East. The vast majority of beautiful city centres around the world are wholly or mainly pedestrianised. The medinas of North Africa being probably the apotheosis of the 15 minute city.

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Seems to be very popular, Rich Men North of Richmond.
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

The thing that intrigues me is the hair-beard colour discontinuity. I haven't been so distracted by something like that since Alistair Darling was in his pomp.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited August 2023
    We should all be getting 1 hour of exercise a day (or at least 150 mins a week). That means that most people with a commute less than 10km (6 miles) should be cycling or walking to work.

In England and Wales, 65% of commuters are within 10km of their workplace. 43% are within 5km. Yet only 14% walk or cycle.

Whatever happened to "protect the NHS"?
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

The singer seems to subscribe to 9/11 conspiracy theories, and has been heavily promoted by popular Covid fantasist Joe Rogan.

There are an awful lot of alt-right nut jobs in the US, and a couple on this board.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375
    edited August 2023

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

Maybe, I just find it completely bizarre. Walter Kronkite covered the Apollo 11 take off, his ending comment that day was that the Astronauts were embarking on a journey which their children will consider normal and mundane.

That is genuinely what people thought in 1969. 54 years later and an unmanned spacecraft landing on the moon is considered an amazing achievement.
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

He presumably hasn't realised that Sunak is in Richmond (well, actually Kirby Sigston is east and a little south or Richmond) when he's not south of there, in London. :wink:

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

The thing that intrigues me is the hair-beard colour discontinuity. I haven't been so distracted by something like that since Alistair Darling was in his pomp.
    Alistair Darling had a pomp? Are you sure it wasn't just wind?
  • Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

Oooh! I might have to watch that again. Haven't seen it in years. Don't think Kubrick directed it though...
    edited August 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Watching the media and cultural Establishment reaction, to independent artists having success on their own terms, is rather amusing. They’re saying all sorts of things to try and discredit independents, especially conservative independents.
    TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

There are also many beautiful city centres, but aside from a handful in Britain (Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge, Bath, York, one or two other small cathedral cities and er, that's it) most of them are on the continent or in North Africa and the Middle East. The vast majority of beautiful city centres around the world are wholly or mainly pedestrianised. The medinas of North Africa being probably the apotheosis of the 15 minute city.
    Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool each have their merits. Bristol and Newcastle too.

Birmingham and Portsmouth not so much.

Not sure about Sheffield, Leeds, and Southampton.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited August 2023
    Selebian said:

Selebian said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

EVs will certainly help with pollution, but I'm not sure they'll make a huge difference to noise. With the odd exception, the engine/exhaust noise from most modern ICE cars is pretty low for most of the time. As I sit here in my home office, the noise coming from the busy road outside is mostly tyre noise, to the extent that it is often difficult to distinguish EVs from ICEVs.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Nigelb said:

Speaking of poles, successful landing by India on the Moon.
    https://twitter.com/isro/status/1694327198394863911

Pretty impressive achievement.

Let's not forget that the Russian moon mission this week.
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Watching the media and cultural Establishment reaction, to independent artists having success on their own terms, is rather amusing. They’re saying all sorts of things to try and discredit independents, especially conservative independents.
    It’s mostly because the people involved are conspiracy-spouting loons.
  • Carbon emissions - not an issue with electric cars.

While I don't disagree with the thrust of your comments, in the spirit of pedantic arguing that truly represents the PB way, electric cars do have carbon emissions at present because much of our electricity comes from fossil fuels. This is decreasing and will, hopefully, decrease to zero or near zero, but it certainly isn't there yet.

Likewise, there is air pollution associated with our current electricity generation (again, decreasing). It does help that that air pollution is moved away from the vehicles, which are generally where people are, to electricity generating plants, which are generally further away from people. There is also some air pollution, with particulates, that are associated with tyres on a road -- these remain even with electric cars.

Well indeed our general electric supply does emit emissions, and would even if transportation stopped overnight. But as I've said, I believe here that cars are part of the solution, not part of the problem, when it comes to climate change which probably requires a complete change in mindset.

We need to scale up our renewable electricity supply in order to be able to cope with peak demand, without relying upon coal or gas, in order to have zero-carbon energy. But to have reliable peak supply would leave us with far too much off-peak supply. So there needs to be some sort of offsetting.

Cars at home are the perfect solution to that conundrum. Being large scale batteries they can be charged off-peak while leaving peak supply available for that which unavoidably needs it. In this way we balance peak and off peak supply and demand, which allows for a cleaner, greener future.

Without cars, getting to net zero would be much harder, not easier.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Yep, shocking how edgy independent musical talents like Right Said Fred have been discredited.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited August 2023
    Eabhal said:

We should all be getting 1 hour of exercise a day (or at least 150 mins a week). That means that most people with a commute less than 10km (6 miles) should be cycling or walking to work.

In England and Wales, 65% of commuters are within 10km of their workplace. 43% are within 5km. Yet only 14% walk or cycle.

Rather assumes the only time to exercise is on the commute, rather than other times.

Many people exercise while at work, a lot of people are on their feet much or all of the day and not just sat behind a desk.

While others might want to exercise before or after work instead.

A 5 mile commute can be driven in 10-15 minutes which leaves you plenty of day to get your exercise in when not driving.

Plus exercise makes you sweaty which isn't an ideal way to start your workday.

Personally I'd rather exercise by going for a jog or ride my bike to and around the park near where I live, or a jog along the river I live near, than go for a jog or cycle in my work clothes before work.
    edited August 2023

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

Oooh! I might have to watch that again. Haven't seen it in years. Don't think Kubrick directed it though...
    No, the legend has it that Kubrick filmed the actual moon landings.

I am not a conspiracy theorist generally, but cotton suits, shadows of the astronauts and flags blowing in the breeze. Do me a favour. Oh, and Richard Nixon was President.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s mostly because the people involved are conspiracy-spouting loons.
    It helps that they're been presented as "The thing the Woke Liberal Elite don't want you to see", so when you point out the faults with that movie for example, they're just dismissed.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Attention seeking former eighties and nineties cult singer Billy Bragg has done a counter song to one of them.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited August 2023

Well indeed our general electric supply does emit emissions, and would even if transportation stopped overnight. But as I've said, I believe here that cars are part of the solution, not part of the problem, when it comes to climate change which probably requires a complete change in mindset.

We need to scale up our renewable electricity supply in order to be able to cope with peak demand, without relying upon coal or gas, in order to have zero-carbon energy. But to have reliable peak supply would leave us with far too much off-peak supply. So there needs to be some sort of offsetting.

Cars at home are the perfect solution to that conundrum. Being large scale batteries they can be charged off-peak while leaving peak supply available for that which unavoidably needs it. In this way we balance peak and off peak supply and demand, which allows for a cleaner, greener future.

More accurately, having a load of large batteries scattered around the country should make it easier to get to net zero. From a net zero point of view, there's no need to have said batteries mounted on wheels and zooming around; they could just as well be static home batteries. But if we are to have batteries on wheels, we may as well also use as storage them to help us reach net zero.

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Glasgow, Manchester and Liverpool each have their merits. Bristol and Newcastle too.

Southampton doesn't really have a well defined centre (at least, that was my experience when living there). Rather a few different areas where you might end up on e.g. a night out or a shopping trip (notably, those two purposes would be in quite different areas). That also has it's appeal, of course.

Leeds has nice bits in the middle, but not a compelling centre (possibly related: traffic is very much a part of the city centre).
  • TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Portsmouth is a lot better than it used to be. Gunwharf Quays is bog standard outlet village, but it has opened up that bit of the waterfront and Old Portsmouth proper. The Spinnaker is dumb, but fun.

Meanwhile the Tricorn was demolished in 2004, once the city worked out how to do without the parking. And Jonathan Meades ("You don't go knocking down Stonehenge or Lincoln Cathedral. I think buildings like the Tricorn were as good as that.") can get into the sea.

Fairly easy to do in Portsmouth.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited August 2023
    Selebian said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Southampton doesn't really have a well defined centre (at least, that was my experience when living there). Rather a few different areas where you might end up on e.g. a night out or a shopping trip (notably, those two purposes would be in quite different areas). That also has it's appeal, of course.

Leeds has nice bits in the middle, but not a compelling centre (possibly related: traffic is very much a part of the city centre).
    Gloucester was lovely and walkable. Pedestrianised centre and quays area. Chester and York too.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Greetings from the Pravda Brewery Beer Theatre, Market Sq, Lviv - where there’s 56 beers on tap!

What a lovely old city, cobbled streets, trams, dozens of street bars. We went to the national museum, but sadly most of the old stuff there had been removed for safety, there was an old Jesuit church basement which was quite funky, and there’s an Apple Museum we’re going to see this afternoon. That’s a museum of old computers, not old apples!

Cheers!

IIRC the Apple Museum had a hefty entry fee why I walked past, years back.

Are you going to Saints Cyril and Methodius Church on Resslova Street? The museum in the basement is worth it.

It was a bit spooky to have seen the film Anthropoid the week before we went - they used a fair bit of actual Prague in it.

The old synagogue isn’t far away from that as well.
    Thanks for the suggestions, only here for one day so will see how things go!
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Baker, who pretty much invented modern military RoRo, designed all his vessels to float and be stable with the vehicle deck artificially flooded. That is, if the doors were
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

DK Brown observed it was perfectly possible to enforce RoRo vehicle deck flooding safety, for commercial vessels

Just that all existing ferries on a given route would have to be replaced, and either ticket prices would rise a bit or a subsidy would be required.
  • Carbon emissions - not an issue with electric cars.

More accurately, having a load of large batteries scattered around the country should make it easier to get to net zero. From a net zero point of view, there's no need to have said batteries mounted on wheels and zooming around; they could just as well be home batteries. But if we are to have batteries on wheels, we may as well also use as storage them to help us reach net zero.
    Well yes, indeed, batteries without the wheels would work too - but people buy the batteries because of the wheels, without the wheels few would have or buy the batteries.

40 million vehicles on the road. Lets say 30 million become electric at an average of 100 kWh capacity. That's 3 billion kWh, 3 million MWh, 3,000 GWh or 3 TWh of distributed energy storage.

There's currently 16 GWh of energy storage operating across the UK, so adding 3 TWh of distributed storage would utterly dwarf that and make the switch to renewables almost infinitely easier.
  • Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn
    Do UKers riding on public transit ever take out their phones and other devices, and do something approaching work while commuting?

Commonplace, indeed the norm, in Seattle. Which surely accounts for some "economic gains".
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    edited August 2023

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Dore, in Sheffield, is fabulous. Unbelievably posh. Leeds has a fine Victorian city centre.

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Portsmouth is a lot better than it used to be. Gunwharf Quays is bog standard outlet village, but it has opened up that bit of the waterfront and Old Portsmouth proper. The Spinnaker is dumb, but fun.

Meanwhile the Tricorn was demolished in 2004, once the city worked out how to do without the parking. And Jonathan Meades ("You don't go knocking down Stonehenge or Lincoln Cathedral. I think buildings like the Tricorn were as good as that.") can get into the sea.

Fairly easy to do in Portsmouth.
    Used to be a grim trek round the Gunwharf wall to the Harbour station, Gos\port ferry for the assorted heritage there, Common Hard and Dockyard, if you were staying at the Point like we used to (by far the best tourist accommodation area for the character). Sounds a huge improvement to be able to go direct on the seafront. Must go again.
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Attention seeking former eighties and nineties cult singer Billy Bragg has done a counter song to one of them.
    That is very unfair on Billy Bragg. Attention seeking? Cult singer?

He didn't want to change the world, he wasn't looking for a new England.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Yep, shocking how edgy independent musical talents like Right Said Fred have been discredited.
    Some have gone so far as to accuse them of being too sexy, I believe.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,565

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

The singer seems to subscribe to 9/11 conspiracy theories, and has been heavily promoted by popular Covid fantasist Joe Rogan.

There are an awful lot of alt-right nut jobs in the US, and a couple on this board.
    The title "Rich Men North of Richmond" is not exactly hiding that tendency, is it?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

I am not a conspiracy theorist generally, but cotton suits, shadows of the astronauts and flags blowing in the breeze. Do me a favour. Oh, and Richard Nixon was President.
    I think the 'Moon Landing' set in Diamonds Are Forever (Bond steals the moon buggy for reasons that escape me) is a reference to the moon landing conspiracy.
  • Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

I am aware of that particular legend. There is an awful lot of misinformation set out as "fact" and misunderstanding of how things work as "proof".

It was the middle of the cold war so I get the reason why a desperate administration might fake some piece of propaganda. But having beaten the Soviets to land on the moon, why repeatedly keep faking it?

The reason we can't go back now is simple - we're not crazy enough to take the same risks and spend the same money. We can't replicate the old analogue technology (such as a Rocketdyne F5 engine), and we're unwilling to burn oceans of cash to ask men to take absurd risks.

We'll make it back. Eventually.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Off topic, but this brief description may interest most of you:
    "MEXICO CITY — Xóchitl Gálvez is a Mexican original. She’s a radiant, broad-faced Indigenous woman who grew up in extreme poverty, studied math over the protests of her abusive, alcoholic father, and battled her way to building a prosperous tech company and becoming a senator. Now she is rocking Mexican politics.

Gálvez is the leading opposition candidate running to succeed President Andrés Manuel López Obrador. Clothed in a simple embroidered dress during an interview here, she is by turns funny, profane and inspiring. As she explains how she battled off an attacker as a girl in the barrios, you can see why the populist autocrat López Obrador seems worried about her.
    . . .
    “I have the ovaries to confront him. I hope you have the balls to follow me,” she recently told an audience in Chihuahua, according to one of her advisers."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/08/20/mexico-presidential-elections-galvez-interview/

According to columnist David Ignatius, she has, among other things, dressed up as a T. Rex to protest 'Obrador’s proposed election-law changes that she claimed bring back the “Jurassic era.”.

(Yes, I know, T. Rex lived in the Cretaceous period, but, thanks to the movie, more people would recognize "Jurassic".)

I was in Portsmouth not so long ago.
    The Mary Rose and HMS Victory are deservedly famous. The rest is an embarassment, including the bathetic Spinnaker Tower.

In theory, Hampshire has a great coastline.
    (I am currently on the beach on the other side of the Channel) but the actualité is profoundly crap.
  • To further the point on how cars are the solution to climate change, not the problem, consider this.

EVs could provide the entire globe's short-term grid storage needs by 2030. https://thedriven.io/2023/01/20/evs-could-provide-entire-global-short-term-grid-storage-needs-by-2030-study-finds/#:~:text=The report's findings include both,term storage globally by 2050.

This is with just a fraction of EVs participating in vehicle-to-grid.

Do this and there is no limit to how much we can rely upon renewable energy, and save the planet. Completely eliminate gas from our energy supply, and free ourselves from relying upon imports from the Middle East/Russia, and stop climate emissions.

What's not to like about that?
  • Interesting article in NYT this morning, on how the present Polish government is stoking fears of an apparently non-existent threat of imminent invasion by Belarus via the "Suwałki Gap" in leadup to October parliamentary election.

Polish regime may be IHMO characterized as anti-Putin Putinists, who aside from Mad Vlad's invasion of Ukraine, are aligned with the rest of his program, including:

> hyper-populism
    > mega-nationalism
    > aggressive anti-Wokeism
    > crony capitalism writ large
    > fake news as instrument of power
    > disrespect (to put it mildly) for rule of law

Any of this sound familiar to UKers?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705

The West has astronauts.

The West has astronauts.

And the Brits have cupofteanauts.
    Lee-on-Solent, for example, has a fine prospect even if the beach is pebbly.

But the architecture of Marine Parade is like Noddy Town as dreamt up by Barratt Homes.
  • The West has astronauts.

The West has astronauts.

And the Brits have cupofteanauts.
    We also have acabinetofnauts.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    People living in shanty towns with open sewers . I would have thought that the Indian government might have more important priorities . Instead the Putin arse licker Mohdi decides to spend money on some moon mission!

The Mary Rose and HMS Victory are deservedly famous. The rest is an embarassment, including the bathetic Spinnaker Tower.

(I am currently on the beach on the other side of the Channel) but the actualité is profoundly crap.

I quite like the Spinnaker Tower. Queen Victoria would have had an excellent view from Osborn.

I quite like Portsmouth, often a socialist oasis in a Tory desert.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    Eabhal said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Gloucester was lovely and walkable. Pedestrianised centre and quays area. Chester and York too.
    Norwich is good bit of townscape. England's speciality is not the larger cities, which are more or less uniformly bits of wreckage accompanied by cars and litter, but small towns especially off the beaten track. Stamford is the best of all.

A

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

I am aware of that particular legend. There is an awful lot of misinformation set out as "fact" and misunderstanding of how things work as "proof".

It was the middle of the cold war so I get the reason why a desperate administration might fake some piece of propaganda. But having beaten the Soviets to land on the moon, why repeatedly keep faking it?

The reason we can't go back now is simple - we're not crazy enough to take the same risks and spend the same money. We can't replicate the old analogue technology (such as a Rocketdyne F5 engine), and we're unwilling to burn oceans of cash to ask men to take absurd risks.

We'll make it back. Eventually.
    You mean the F1

And yes, we could replicate it - NASA had a brief look at building some more of the F1A, which was a far better engine.

But it’s a 1950s design - chamber size and pressure right in the middle of the instability zone.

We can do far better today.

Especially since we have conquered the FFSC cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BE-4
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_Raptor

Oh, and the next moon landing by humans is pencilled in for 2025 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis_3
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,565
    Eabhal said:

It's that kind of hectoring tone, particularly when combined with a message that (1) tells people that they're not good enough - for themselves and for humanity - and (2) wants to make their life less pleasant*, that makes them want to go and order a big fat pizza just out of spite.

* There's a reason people drive or take a bus/train and it comes down to the traditional four metrics of modal choice: cost, speed, convenience and pleasantness. Granted, cost will always tend to weigh for cycling and will always do so for walking; the other three, however, usually more than offset it.
    algarkirk said:

Eabhal said:

Selebian said:

TimS said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pagan2 said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Cars are terrible.

Expenditure:

Revenue:
    Fuel duty/VAT ~ £28Bn

Norwich is good bit of townscape. England's speciality is not the larger cities, which are more or less uniformly bits of wreckage accompanied by cars and litter, but small towns especially off the beaten track. Stamford is the best of all.

London’s actually pretty good.

Britain’s unique feature is the “urban village” typology which you don’t really get Paris (save maybe Montmartre), New York, or Tokyo.

Of course London lacks the sheer drama of New York skyline, and the graceful order of Parisian boulevards, but you can’t have it all.
  • Eabhal said:

It's that kind of hectoring tone, particularly when combined with a message that (1) tells people that they're not good enough - for themselves and for humanity - and (2) wants to make their life less pleasant*, that makes them want to go and order a big fat pizza just out of spite.

* There's a reason people drive or take a bus/train and it comes down to the traditional four metrics of modal choice: cost, speed, convenience and pleasantness. Granted, cost will always tend to weigh for cycling and will always do so for walking; the other three, however, usually more than offset it.
    Before we moved up here I occasionally took the car close to the kids school, which was otherwise an easy walking distance across the park. Not because lazy or ignorant, because I was travelling to/from elsewhere.

So many parents sadly are lazy and ignorant, but not all. School parking seems to wind so many people up (especially the poor sods unfortunate enough to live near a school) - all of which could be solved by the parents parking slightly further away. A few more steps won't kill them.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    Lots of Daily Mail readers wondering in the Comments while the UK is still sending foreign aid to India if it can afford to land on the Moon
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12436887/Indias-Chandrayaan-3-makes-history-landing-moons-South-Pole-time-beating-Russia-China-USA.html?openWebLoggedIn=true&login
    A

Eabhal said:

Prudential Vitality plan waves hello
    edited August 2023

I quite like the Spinnaker Tower. Queen Victoria would have had an excellent view from Osborn.

I quite like Portsmouth, often a socialist oasis in a Tory desert.
    Spinnaker Tower is awful.
    Let’s build a tower, they said. But make it cheap, uninspired, and useless!

Its sole benefit is to make the disgraceful high rise council blocks over in Gosport seem less dominant.
  • Eabhal said:

We should all be getting 1 hour of exercise a day (or at least 150 mins a week).

Well, which is it? One hour a day or 150 mins a week? The former is getting on for three times the latter.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    edited August 2023

Interesting article in NYT this morning, on how the present Polish government is stoking fears of an apparently non-existent threat of imminent invasion by Belarus via the "Suwałki Gap" in leadup to October parliamentary election.

Polish regime may be IHMO characterized as anti-Putin Putinists, who aside from Mad Vlad's invasion of Ukraine, are aligned with the rest of his program, including:

> hyper-populism
    > mega-nationalism
    > aggressive anti-Wokeism
    > crony capitalism writ large
    > fake news as instrument of power
    > disrespect (to put it mildly) for rule of law

Any of this sound familiar to UKers?

Yes, that's a fair description. Poland has always has a strain of nationalist and authoritarian politics (and there were plenty of examples of anti-semitism before and during the war), partly at least because they've always had aggressive neighbours in Germany and Russia. (Having an aggressive neighbour doesn't necessarily mean you're nice yourself.)

Cosmopolitan Warsaw is very different, with lots of liberal and open-minded people who view their government with as little enthusiasm as most Londoners view Nigel Farage, but parts of the countryside are another matter.

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Why are you celebrating a film (and also to a degree a song) that are QAnon-adjacent? How is it brilliant to see conspiracy theories flourish?
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705
    HYUFD said:

Lots of Daily Mail readers wondering in the Comments while the UK is still sending foreign aid to India if it can afford to land on the Moon
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-12436887/Indias-Chandrayaan-3-makes-history-landing-moons-South-Pole-time-beating-Russia-China-USA.html?openWebLoggedIn=true&login

...past guilt?....
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Do you believe large numbers of children are being abducted by organised sex traffickers who control the media?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Afternoon all :)

Transport - it's a difficult one, isn't it? As others have said, the choices available to some aren't the choices available to all. Having a bus at the end of every street would be nice but we know it isn't practical. Travel is often time sensitive - "I have to be at x by 9am" for example and local knowledge/experience/expediency will dictate whether it's a drive, a bus, a walk, a cycle or whatever.

Transport policy should be first about providing the maximum amount of choice for all rather than favouring one mode over another. The second aspect of transport should be reliability (both private and public) followed by affordability and integration.

Even in the purified sanctum of ULEZ inner London, there are journeys I would make by car rather than use public transport for convenience or necessity or time.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Andy_JS said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

No.

Congrats to ISRO.

Are we still giving foreign aid to India?
    A bit - £33 million this year, or 40p for each of us. We were going to phase it out, but still send some technical assistance and aid for finance. Here's a piece attacking it, though a bit of a hatchet job:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/18/britain-foreign-aid-india-space-rocket-launch/#:~:text=The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development,57 million in 2024/25.

edited August 2023
    HYUFD said:

As I heard the news on heading back to the hotel earlier I thought to myself "Daily Mail readers will be demanding we slash the foreign aid budget". Daily Mail readers really are w,,,,,,,
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    HYUFD said:

Well, at least it means the British Empire has a space programme.
This discussion has been closed.