Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Slides from the latest Ipsos poll – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 2023 in General
imageSlides from the latest Ipsos poll – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    FPT
    nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Sunak has now decided after some fluke by-election win to become the motorists champion !

The poor thing seems to flailing around trying to find any cause where he can dupe the thick section of the public that he’s on their side.

Anyone believing his latest guff should be kept away from the polling booth and sterilized to stop the rising idiocy amongst the countries gene pool .

Too many educated people are having too few kids whilst Shazza keeps popping out babies at an alarming rate.

This is distorting the country moving forward . The government needs to start handing out sweeteners for those with a decent IQ to have more kids .

It’s a race against time !

The day before yesterday you were talking about Nazi ovens. Yesterday you were complaining post-brexit immigrants are less likely to be white. Today you are pushing eugenics.

Are you ok?
    I’m fine thanks . The day before I was criticizing the stain on humanity Braverman. Yesterday my comments shouldn’t be seen as having a problem with non EU immigration , I was merely pointing out that the Remain side didn’t have their own shock jock as in Farage , and could have done with someone to be controversial . As for today’s post which might seem unsavoury . It’s rather melodramatic I admit , I don’t really support eugenics but there’s a problem with birth rates for more educated people. I do believe the gene pool is being eroded by too many thick people having too many babies . So that needs to be re- balanced .
    That's eugenics.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Slides is the right word. Labour on the slide
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    geoffw said:

Slides is the right word. Labour on the slide

No! Broken, sleazy Labour on the slide!
    TimS said:

Weather looks on course for a proper u-turn from around the 10th August. Not before time.

You really trust the weather forecast that far out? :lol:
    edited July 2023
    It's like in the USA: both major parties would stand a better chance of winning if they ditched their current leader. Sunak is more likely to go than Starmer, though, because of the Tories' stab stab stab culture where the leadership is concerned. Labour don't have anything like that.
    Peck said:

FPT

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Sunak has now decided after some fluke by-election win to become the motorists champion !

The poor thing seems to flailing around trying to find any cause where he can dupe the thick section of the public that he’s on their side.

Anyone believing his latest guff should be kept away from the polling booth and sterilized to stop the rising idiocy amongst the countries gene pool .

Too many educated people are having too few kids whilst Shazza keeps popping out babies at an alarming rate.

This is distorting the country moving forward . The government needs to start handing out sweeteners for those with a decent IQ to have more kids .

The day before yesterday you were talking about Nazi ovens. Yesterday you were complaining post-brexit immigrants are less likely to be white. Today you are pushing eugenics.

Are you ok?
    I’m fine thanks . The day before I was criticizing the stain on humanity Braverman. Yesterday my comments shouldn’t be seen as having a problem with non EU immigration , I was merely pointing out that the Remain side didn’t have their own shock jock as in Farage , and could have done with someone to be controversial . As for today’s post which might seem unsavoury . It’s rather melodramatic I admit , I don’t really support eugenics but there’s a problem with birth rates for more educated people. I do believe the gene pool is being eroded by too many thick people having too many babies . So that needs to be re- balanced .
    That's eugenics.
    Idiocracy the movie!
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,540
    Peck said:

It's like in the USA: both major parties would stand a better chance of winning if they ditched their current leader. Sunak is more likely to go than Starmer, though, because of the Tories' stab stab stab culture where the leadership is concerned. Labour don't have anything like that.

Except neither party really has anyone obviously better. So we lumber on.

Meanwhile, The Star have got Rishi's number;

It's not entirely fair (though it wasn't strictly essential to go to Scotland for a photo op), but politicians who can't cope with unfairness should find another career. And any attempt to justify will come across as peevish defensiveness, so best not to bother.
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Peck said:

Sunak is impregnable. Move against me and I call a GE is unanswerable.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603

Peck said:

It's not entirely fair (though it wasn't strictly essential to go to Scotland for a photo op), but politicians who can't cope with unfairness should find another career. And any attempt to justify will come across as peevish defensiveness, so best not to bother.
    An essentially quality for a modern PM is to have a sense of humour, and failing that, not to take yourself too seriously. Sunak unfortunately fails on both counts.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited July 2023

Peck said:

I'm actually with the PM on this one, and feel it is a bit too 'mainstream' a complaint for the Star to run with, they are better when they are more creative, whilst complaining the head of government takes a plane (and a private one at that) rather than a train is more your standard, lame opposition line - and one that doesn't work since PMs would do it whatever party they are.

williamglenn may have a point about taking himself too seriously, but we all know there is a line there, since the last but one PM was not serious enough (and he was capable of it).

Just heard Labour confirm on ITV it will not cancel Sunak's new North Sea licences even though it is against them

Gift to the Greens and SNP no doubt

But that's not news. Labour has always said they won't rescind any licences in place when/if they come to power; they just won't grant any more. So, no change in policy.
    Are you saying labour are in favour of these new licences or is it just another fudge
    I detest Starmer almost as much as you and BJO, but what do you expect Labour to do after the ink is dry?
    Starmer should not have made the commitment in the first place if he really had the country's interests at heart
    Starmer is a tedious tactical triangulator who's fumbling his way to an election victory.
    It's been a winning strategy in the past.
    "Latest" Ipsos poll meaning over a week old.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,674

Peck said:

An essentially quality for a modern PM is to have a sense of humour, and failing that, not to take yourself too seriously. Sunak unfortunately fails on both counts.
    Being PM just isn't for him.
    eek said:

Steve Barclay axes one in six of his civil servants in war on waste
    Health Secretary slashes bureaucracy so more money can be directed to front-line services

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/31/steve-barclay-cuts-civil-servants-roles-department-health/ (£££)

Oh good because this hasn’t gone wrong before
    Well it’s going to go wrong instantly because the one thing most international surveys show that the NHS doesn’t have enough admin staff…

And instead has very expensive doctors doing the paperwork..
    Admin is always an easy option in these situations, but you do need some of it, good admin is worth way more than you pay for it, and organisations appear to be universally bad at figuring out how much is too much or not enough.

When it is politicians making the call that judgement doesn't even come into it, it just plays better with the public than attempting something difficult and/or expensive. No one loves pen pushers, and then things go tits up because the CEO doesn't know where the pens are kept.
    Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

That depends if the rebellion is large enough to have a majority in the House. Then he can't call one.

Peck said:

Caretaker PM might not be an official role, but it fits the actual position he holds more than just PM.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,460
    I see we are at the 'massive crackdown on crime' stage of this administration's collapse into electoral oblivion.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Sunak is quite self deprecating. Makes moderately funny jokes about his lack of height

He’s ok. He just lacks anything special. And “special” is what the Tories need if they are to have any hope of retaining power, after 13 mediocre years in which they’ve achieved very little

Starmer it is then. Sigh
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    kle4 said:

eek said:

Steve Barclay axes one in six of his civil servants in war on waste
    Health Secretary slashes bureaucracy so more money can be directed to front-line services

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/07/31/steve-barclay-cuts-civil-servants-roles-department-health/ (£££)

Oh good because this hasn’t gone wrong before
    Well it’s going to go wrong instantly because the one thing most international surveys show that the NHS doesn’t have enough admin staff…

And instead has very expensive doctors doing the paperwork..
    Admin is always an easy option in these situations, but you do need some of it, good admin is worth way more than you pay for it, and organisations appear to be universally bad at figuring out how much is too much or not enough.

When it is politicians making the call that judgement doesn't even come into it, it just plays better with the public than attempting something difficult and/or expensive. No one loves pen pushers, and then things go tits up because the CEO doesn't know where the pens are kept.
    Seems to be confusion between DoH and NHS staff?
    I am beginning to think Rishi will be more upset at losing the next election than people think. I mean, the family is rich enough he never needed politics anyway, and it also means he won't derive as much benefit from being vastly overpaid on the speech circuit like Boris and May, or even Truss getting some gigs. Not that they all did it for the money, of course not, but their need for a living even though mostly well off is on another level to Rishi.
    kle4 said:

Peck said:

Caretaker PM might not be an official role, but it fits the actual position he holds more than just PM.
    The public deserves more than a seatwarmer. The parties should be fighting for votes every step - that's how democracy functions. They can't just expire with a fart and all agree it's time to give the other side a turn.

Just heard Labour confirm on ITV it will not cancel Sunak's new North Sea licences even though it is against them

Gift to the Greens and SNP no doubt

But that's not news. Labour has always said they won't rescind any licences in place when/if they come to power; they just won't grant any more. So, no change in policy.
    Are you saying labour are in favour of these new licences or is it just another fudge
    I detest Starmer almost as much as you and BJO, but what do you expect Labour to do after the ink is dry?
    Starmer should not have made the commitment in the first place if he really had the country's interests at heart
    Starmer is a tedious tactical triangulator who's fumbling his way to an election victory.
    "My opponent at the chessboard - he beat me, the boring woodpushing b*stard!"

I think the Tories will win though.

Peck said:

Except neither party really has anyone obviously better.
    Penny Mordaunt for the Tories.

Angela Rayner for Labour.

Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

That depends if the rebellion is large enough to have a majority in the House. Then he can't call one.
    The House need not be involved anymore. Though he'd be mad to call one in reaction to internal rebellion.
    Today’s cricket has been weirdly happy sad

Happy because it’s been a fantastic series, six weeks of remarkable sport, sad because it’s reminded me that most cricket isn’t like this, nor is most sport - ever

Plus half of them are now retiring

Only cricket has this eerie bittersweetness. I wonder if that’s because it was born as a game to be played in the English summer, which is itself a poignant thing - often disappointing, yet sometimes utterly joyous and perfect - for a few fleeting weeks

kle4 said:

Peck said:

The public deserves more than a seatwarmer. The parties should be fighting for votes every step - that's how democracy functions. They can't just expire with a fart and all agree it's time to give the other side a turn.
    They should, but the Tories look to be just going through the motions in resigned fashion interspersed with sporadic outbursts to show willing.

The public rarely get what it deserves.

Or rather, since the political culture we have has arisen because of what we reward or punish, we get exactly what we deserve.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

I am beginning to think Rishi will be more upset at losing the next election than people think. I mean, the family is rich enough he never needed politics anyway, and it also means he won't derive as much benefit from being vastly overpaid on the speech circuit like Boris and May, or even Truss getting some gigs. Not that they all did it for the money, of course not, but their need for a living even though mostly well off is on another level to Rishi.

What does he bring to his marriage ? he is never going to bring wealth compared to his wife so he brings power and status . Whilst being ex pm has some status of course , for a power family like they are , he probably feels he needs to keep being PM to keep his share of the contribution . So yes he will really want to win

Miklosvar said:

Peck said:

Ewe watt? Get with the program, boomer. He can call a GE entirely at his own discretion now the FTPA is history.

kle4 said:

What does he bring to his marriage ? he is never going to bring wealth compared to his wife so he brings power and status . Whilst being ex pm has some status of course , for a power family like they are , he probably feels he needs to keep being PM to keep his share of the contribution . So yes he will really want to win
    Not convinced of that. Ex Goldman ex pm can earn his way to parity with her I would have thought
    Political offer 2024:

Labour: Look, we ditched Corbyn, can you give us a go now?
    Lib Dems: So...we're all good about tuition fees now, right?
    SNP: We've never heard of Nicola Sturgeon. Independence by 2025.
    Green: The world is dying and you still won't vote for us? Well screw you then.
    Reform: Reform of what? Lord only knows, but we're an option, ok?
    Tories: Boat people. Communism. Wokenes...look, we've no idea either, just please don't ditch us so soon!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    Costa are doubling-down on their top surgery mural:

A @CostaCoffee spokesman: “The mural, in its entirety, showcases and celebrates inclusivity…to encourage people to feel welcomed, free and unashamedly proud to be themselves”.

https://twitter.com/jamesesses/status/1686108572474593280
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    Peck said:

Would they? Who in the current senior ranks of the Tory Party would do any better than Sunak? Mordaunt maybe, that is it and she is too woke for the members and Tory MPs.

I doubt anyone in Labour would be doing much better than Starmer either, though Streeting will fancy his chances as the Blairite heir apparent longer term.

Even in the US remember the only Democrat to beat Trump is Biden

A @CostaCoffee spokesman: “The mural, in its entirety, showcases and celebrates inclusivity…to encourage people to feel welcomed, free and unashamedly proud to be themselves”.

I assume wading in on things presumably plays well for enough companies to explain why they do it, but I do feel my inner old grump rise up in wishing corporate PR entities would stick to talking about their products and distracting from whether they pay people a living wage, or run sweatshops (through contractors of course) or whatever other skeletons they may have in their closets.

Climate change discussions I get, that touches on so much that most businesses can having something to say. The rest gets some positive or negative attention, then people on twitter can posture appropriately about it in support or against.

My god. That is mentally diseased
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

Peck said:

Would they? Who in the current senior ranks of the Tory Party would do any better than Sunak? Mordaunt maybe, that is it and she is too woke for the members and Tory MPs.

I doubt anyone in Labour would be doing much better than Starmer either, though Streeting will fancy his chances as the Blairite heir apparent longer term.

Even in the US remember the only Democrat to beat Trump is Biden
    Tory MPs don't have a unified idea of what to do, so any new leader would find it just as hard to agree on something. They might try something bolder to grab some initiative, which might have potential, but with the lack of unity what could realistically be enacted? Boris couldn't get planning reform through with a huge majority whilst he was still riding high!

I wonder if Starmer will need to watch his back once in - even though he's hardly very old, he will be the oldest PM at his start that we've had in a long time, so the Brown-esque whispers will probably be there.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Leon said:

Wait until you hear about tattoos and piercings.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

You need to learn from CV and up your game. If you want to derail every discussion into transphobic shit then you have to hammer away at with pneumatic drill frequency and intensity. Post after post. Day after day.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited July 2023

TimS said:

Weather looks on course for a proper u-turn from around the 10th August. Not before time.

Last July I raised the possibility of 40C here, a fortnight before it happened and pretty much to the day. In the face of another poster promising to eat his hat. So, you know..
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Leon said:

Today’s cricket has been weirdly happy sad

Happy because it’s been a fantastic series, six weeks of remarkable sport, sad because it’s reminded me that most cricket isn’t like this, nor is most sport - ever

Plus half of them are now retiring

Only cricket has this eerie bittersweetness. I wonder if that’s because it was born as a game to be played in the English summer, which is itself a poignant thing - often disappointing, yet sometimes utterly joyous and perfect - for a few fleeting weeks

Most test cricket since 2005 has been pretty interesting IMO. England in Pakistan recently was fascinating for instance.
    EPG said:

Leon said:

What immensely witty and amusing parallel are you actually asserting between those entirely superficial procedures, and mastectomy?

Sorry to sound dim.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Last July I raised the possibility of 40C here, a fortnight before it happened and pretty much to the day. In the face of another poster promising to eat his hat. So, you know..
    I'm sure you're right, the period of crappy weather was perfectly timed to coincide with our holiday, and undoubtedly I will be looking out of the office window at perfect blue skies during August.
    Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

What immensely witty and amusing parallel are you actually asserting between those entirely superficial procedures, and mastectomy?

Sorry to sound dim.
    Do you know the meaning of the word superficial?
    TimS said:

TimS said:

What do you make of the fact that the 40 degree temperature was measured on an airfield just as fighter jets were landing?

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/06/28/exclusive-three-typhoon-jets-landed-next-to-measuring-device-when-britains-record-temperature-of-40-3c-was-recorded/
    Dura_Ace said:

You need to learn from CV and up your game. If you want to derail every discussion into transphobic shit then you have to hammer away at with pneumatic drill frequency and intensity. Post after post. Day after day.
    I think Costa derailed this with the sickest, most disturbing advertising campaign I have ever seen. It is not “transphobic shit” to point this out

The advert is so depraved I thought it was a joke. An AI fake. Yet it is real

🤮
    Prediction: Costa Coffee will be hastily back-pedalling by tomorrow

“On reflection we think this campaign, while well meaning, has been counter productive and blah blah blah”
  • FPT:

kjh said:

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.
    To be fair, even I laughed at that one!

At least @Dura_Ace would offer me a bath, even if not a cucumber.
    Picture of a cucumber and the Queen wasn't it? :innocent:

Or was there a missing Oxford comma? :open_mouth:
    Not required.

I always carry a picture of the Queen with me.
    Paging @Anabobazina - we've got another cash user! :wink:
    Cash only at the Fairlop Waters fun fair!

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.
    Seen at Fairlop Waters fun fair a few days ago:

We keep 100% of cash probably means they don’t give any to HMRC.
    The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

Why the hell should it ever be compulsory to take cash?

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
    Well that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. As someone who lived through the 60s and 70s bank robberies and wages snatches with sawn off shotguns were a thing. Not now. All internet fraud now.
    Not now? You're kidding yourself.

Armed robberies happen routinely across Merseyside - and presumably elsewhere - all the time. That they don't get attention is sad, but it happens and only makes the news if someone actually dies and even then it doesn't typically stay in the news for long.

An average of 200 robberies a day happened last year, 365 days a year. Actual robberies with the threat of force involved, not simple theft.

And people here wonder why businesses don't want the burden of handling cash.
    Well that will teach me to agree with you 😀

Seriously though I assume you weren't around in the 60s and 70s. Much safer now. I think the stats support that or I might be basing it on reruns of the Sweeney.
    LOL. I don't know, the Sweeney is long before my time.

All I know is that robberies are very, very real. I've had 4 close friends who work in hospitality held up in separate armed robberies in the Merseyside area. One was a store I'd personally been in half an hour earlier.

Unfortunately there don't seem to have been serious data collected on it from the 60s and 70s to compare. None that I could find from Google anyway. But either way even nowadays its a very real threat to life, and a hassle far more serious than a mild inconvenience, especially when a much less deadly and more reliable alternative exists.
    I think that the misunderstanding is about scale.

The robberies you are talking of are for a few hundred pounds. Done by nutters who should have, as De Niro put it a “Born To Lose” tattoo.

The robberies he is thinking of were the major armed robberies. The equivalent, in todays money of a million or more. Done by semi competent criminals.

The later were made extinct by better security, and the modern armed police wiping out several gangs. MP5 vs sawn off….

The major gangs have moved to drugs and fraud.
    Well indeed, that's quite right. But for someone being held up at knifepoint and at risk of being stabbed - it doesn't make much difference if they're stabbed by someone desperate/stupid enough to do so for a few hundred pounds or millions of pounds.

A druggy trying to hold up a restaurant or similar at knife point holding someone by their throat to get the cash out of the safe is every bit as dangerous to those being held up as someone holding up a bank for higher volumes of cash. It isn't the volume of cash that's the biggest issue, its the serious risk of bloodshed.

Oh and of course a small business losing hundreds or thousands in a robbery can affect that small business (and its staff) every bit as much as a bank losing considerably more.

That's why small businesses are acting rationally in abandoning cash, if it doesn't cost them customers.
  • Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.
    A lot of people with mastectomies is because of either having or at major risk of having breast cancer.

Should they be ashamed of having had a mastectomy in order to stay alive?

Tattoos and piercings are certainly far less necessary.
    EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.
    I know Latin to PhD level, so yes.

Again and ignoring that fail, what parallel were you attempting to make?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

What do you make of the fact that the 40 degree temperature was measured on an airfield just as fighter jets were landing?

https://dailysceptic.org/2023/06/28/exclusive-three-typhoon-jets-landed-next-to-measuring-device-when-britains-record-temperature-of-40-3c-was-recorded/
    I make of it that some people really are desperate. I remember the day well as I was tracking public and private WSs all day. The record temperatures were in place from early on and throughout much of the afternoon. It even made it to 39C at my very much not aérodrome vineyard.

The same nonsense gets poured out every time there’s a record temperature at an airfield site (where temperatures have been recorded since the advent of aviation). This despite readings being pretty much identical to those predicted in high res models the day before, and consistent with other local stations.

Plane exhausts is up there with underwater volcanoes as one of the scientifically maddest yet superficially appealing sceptic talking points.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Whatevs.

I measured 40C+ here in the Flatlands on 3 different thermometers and 39.8C on another a little further north.

It was ridiculously hot.

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.
    A lot of people with mastectomies is because of either having or at major risk of having breast cancer.

Yes, but I think Costa are celebrating mastectomy for gender dysphoria.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,275

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Women who have masectomies for those reasons don't typically walk around topless like the person in the Costa ad.
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

I make of it that some people really are desperate. I remember the day well as I was tracking public and private WSs all day. The record temperatures were in place from early on and throughout much of the afternoon. It even made it to 39C at my very much not aérodrome vineyard.

The same nonsense gets poured out every time there’s a record temperature at an airfield site (where temperatures have been recorded since the advert of aviation). This despite readings being pretty much identical to those predicted in high res models the day before, and consistent with other local stations.
    Yes. Also it *felt* like 40C

I’ve experienced temps around 40C or above a fair few times, around the world. It is quite noticeable. The air switches from Phew what a scorcher to Ugh I’m getting a headache even when in the shade

That day was stifling - and brutally hot
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,267
    Been some chatter on PB re: Mississippi.

Interesting excerpt from wiki page on 2023 general election for governor in the great Magnolia State:

Most analysts consider [Republican Gov. Tate] Reeves to be a favorite to win reelection, given the state's partisan lean. Nonetheless, some consider the race to have the potential to become competitive, citing factors such as Reeves' narrow victory four years prior [52% v 47% for Dem] and the heavy criticism he has faced for his handling of the Jackson water crisis and for his ties to a welfare corruption scandal, both of which have led him to have the lowest approval ratings of any Republican governor in the country.

The presumptive Democratic nominee, Brandon Presley, is considered to be a potentially-strong general election candidate; he has represented the Northern district on the Mississippi Public Service Commission since 2008, despite that district having a strong Republican bent, and holds relatively moderate or even conservative views on social issues, thus fitting the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Mississippi_gubernatorial_election
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

The same nonsense gets poured out every time there’s a record temperature at an airfield site (where temperatures have been recorded since the advert of aviation). This despite readings being pretty much identical to those predicted in high res models the day before, and consistent with other local stations.

I’ve experienced temps around 40C or above a fair few times, around the world. It is quite noticeable. The air switches from Phew what a scorcher to Ugh I’m getting a headache even when in the shade

It was definitely something like 38 or 39 degrees in central England on that day. Dry heat, so it wasn't quite as bad as it might have been during the night IIRC.
    edited July 2023

Interesting excerpt from wiki page on 2023 general election for governor in the great Magnolia State:

Most analysts consider [Republican Gov. Tate] Reeves to be a favorite to win reelection, given the state's partisan lean. Nonetheless, some consider the race to have the potential to become competitive, citing factors such as Reeves' narrow victory four years prior [52% v 47% for Dem] and the heavy criticism he has faced for his handling of the Jackson water crisis and for his ties to a welfare corruption scandal, both of which have led him to have the lowest approval ratings of any Republican governor in the country.

The presumptive Democratic nominee, Brandon Presley, is considered to be a potentially-strong general election candidate; he has represented the Northern district on the Mississippi Public Service Commission since 2008, despite that district having a strong Republican bent, and holds relatively moderate or even conservative views on social issues, thus fitting the state.

Competitive is always better.

Any other interesting gubernatorials (love that word) coming up? Including any fun run off rules or the like?
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Previous record was 38.7 set in a fighter jet free botanic garden in 2019. Your link claims an anomaly of 0.6, so an actual temperature of 39.7. Leaving aside that meteorologists probably know how to isolate their thermometer from jet planes, what point do you think your link establishes?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959
    Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Presumably the purpose of that surgery is to no longer draw attention to your breasts, so the Costa mural maybe has a slight logic fail. Not at all bothered by it however.

I notice the man who was so outraged in the quoted tweet claims to be "Commentator and Co-founder of Thoughtful Therapists. Focusing on the impact of ideology on society." And appears to have no self awareness.
    Wouldn't have it any other way

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419
    Peck said:

FPT

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Are you ok?
    That's eugenics.
    What’s the line about everything before the “but” ?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959

Peck said:

Really successful political leaders in my experience have no sense of humour at all. See Thatcher and Blair. SoH is for losers.
    Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Both tattooing and piercings involve, literally, non-surface level alteration of the body.
    edited July 2023
    EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Both tattooing and piercings involve, literally, non-surface level alteration of the body.
    Go tell a breast cancer victim who has had a double mastectomy - like my cousin, in her late 30s - that it’s “just the same as a tattoo or a piercing”

Stand well back when she reacts
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Western WA had a day like that, several years ago, temp exceeded 40C.

This as the peak of at least a week of very hot - for Pacific NW - days. Planning ahead, made reservation at a nice AIR CONDITIONED restaurant on other side of Puget Sound for late afternoon when heat would peak. Meaning an hour ferry ride there and back, across cool waters with the breeze of the boat, sitting on the shady side.

Which was great . . . until I got back to my Easy Bake Oven of an apartment . . . slept in the basement!
    Leon said:

“On reflection we think this campaign, while well meaning, has been counter productive and blah blah blah”

Eh, there's like a million Costa's out there, what are people going to do, avoid them? Sure, there are alternatives, but do they really need a PR team when ubiquity is the key?
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Go tell a breast cancer victim who has had a double mastectomy - like my cousin - that it’s “just the same as a tattoo or a piercing”

Learn not to use quote marks when the quote is a fiction, thanks.
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Eh, there's like a million Costa's out there, what are people going to do, avoid them? Sure, there are alternatives, but do they really need a PR team when ubiquity is the key?
    It’s a ridiculous PR fail. They will scramble towards a “retraction” tomorrow

The image has gone viral. Not in a good way

FPT:

kjh said:

kjh said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Selebian said:

Selebian said:

kjh said:

Dura_Ace said:

Put simply: I don't trust those who are pushing air-source heat pumps; they all have an agenda.

I'm not risking the comfort and wellbeing of my family and a warm home until I go round to a trusted friend or neighbours house (on a cold and dark night) and feel it for myself, including having a hot bath.

I now have an image in my head of a bloke of a certain age turning up on doorsteps in a frayed shorty terrycloth bathrobe and a towel over his arm, angrily demanding a bath. Not good.

Who's in the bathroom?
    That angry bloke from next door. He took a picture of the old queen and a cucumber in with him.
    I've just cried myself silly laughing. My wife and dog thought I was having a breakdown.
    To be fair, even I laughed at that one!

At least @Dura_Ace would offer me a bath, even if not a cucumber.
    Picture of a cucumber and the Queen wasn't it? :innocent:

Or was there a missing Oxford comma? :open_mouth:
    Not required.

I always carry a picture of the Queen with me.
    Paging @Anabobazina - we've got another cash user! :wink:
    Cash only at the Fairlop Waters fun fair!

My local Thai restaurant (very good, btw) has a sign saying they prefer cash, as the charges on card payments are many hundreds a month.
    That's funny because typical card handling charges dropped to less than cash handling charges about a decade ago.

If a business is trying to avoid card transactions nowadays its probably because they're seeking to evade (not avoid) HMRC rather than avoid bank charges.
    Let's not associate cash with dodgy practices when most fraud these days is probably electronic.
    Seen at Fairlop Waters fun fair a few days ago:

We keep 100% of cash probably means they don’t give any to HMRC.
    The counter revolution has begun. There was a thing a few days ago about traders in Suffolk suggesting use of cash.

It's a particular issue which divides opinion, including PB opinion, with no middle ground SFAICS.

Basically I think that up to amount £X (£500?) it ought to be compulsory to take cash in face to face transactions; the other side is happy to see the stuff abolished.

Why the hell should it ever be compulsory to take cash?

People get killed over cash. I had a friend, pregnant, working in retail in Liverpool who had a machete held to her throat by armed robbers to get the Manager to open the safe.

If both sides want to handle cash, that's their choice. If either side does not, then respect free choice.
    Well that is a very good point I hadn't thought of. As someone who lived through the 60s and 70s bank robberies and wages snatches with sawn off shotguns were a thing. Not now. All internet fraud now.
    Not now? You're kidding yourself.

Armed robberies happen routinely across Merseyside - and presumably elsewhere - all the time. That they don't get attention is sad, but it happens and only makes the news if someone actually dies and even then it doesn't typically stay in the news for long.

An average of 200 robberies a day happened last year, 365 days a year. Actual robberies with the threat of force involved, not simple theft.

And people here wonder why businesses don't want the burden of handling cash.
    Well that will teach me to agree with you 😀

Seriously though I assume you weren't around in the 60s and 70s. Much safer now. I think the stats support that or I might be basing it on reruns of the Sweeney.
    LOL. I don't know, the Sweeney is long before my time.

All I know is that robberies are very, very real. I've had 4 close friends who work in hospitality held up in separate armed robberies in the Merseyside area. One was a store I'd personally been in half an hour earlier.

Unfortunately there don't seem to have been serious data collected on it from the 60s and 70s to compare. None that I could find from Google anyway. But either way even nowadays its a very real threat to life, and a hassle far more serious than a mild inconvenience, especially when a much less deadly and more reliable alternative exists.
    I think that the misunderstanding is about scale.

The robberies you are talking of are for a few hundred pounds. Done by nutters who should have, as De Niro put it a “Born To Lose” tattoo.

The robberies he is thinking of were the major armed robberies. The equivalent, in todays money of a million or more. Done by semi competent criminals.

The later were made extinct by better security, and the modern armed police wiping out several gangs. MP5 vs sawn off….

The major gangs have moved to drugs and fraud.
    Well indeed, that's quite right. But for someone being held up at knifepoint and at risk of being stabbed - it doesn't make much difference if they're stabbed by someone desperate/stupid enough to do so for a few hundred pounds or millions of pounds.

A druggy trying to hold up a restaurant or similar at knife point holding someone by their throat to get the cash out of the safe is every bit as dangerous to those being held up as someone holding up a bank for higher volumes of cash. It isn't the volume of cash that's the biggest issue, its the serious risk of bloodshed.

Oh and of course a small business losing hundreds or thousands in a robbery can affect that small business (and its staff) every bit as much as a bank losing considerably more.

That's why small businesses are acting rationally in abandoning cash, if it doesn't cost them customers.
    In fact, your chances of death and injury are higher with the fuckwits stealing a few hundred. They aren’t really into consequential self audits of their actions.

I remember reading a book by a leading QC, later a judge. He defended a gang of armed robbers (old style, organised) on a charge of murder (common cause). Their defence was that they’d agreed that the guns would be empty, they shown them to each other as empty in the van, and the new guy who shot someone must have loaded his gun after that. They’d pretty much beaten him to a pulp after the robbery as well.
    "Social media could be as harmful to children as smoking or gambling – why is this allowed?
    Devi Sridhar"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/04/smoking-gambling-children-social-media-apps-snapchat-health-regulation
    FF43 said:

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Presumably the purpose of that surgery is to no longer draw attention to your breasts, so the Costa mural maybe has a slight logic fail. Not at all bothered by it however.

I notice the man who was so outraged in the quoted tweet claims to be "Commentator and Co-founder of Thoughtful Therapists. Focusing on the impact of ideology on society." And appears to have no self awareness.
    I think the objection is probably about the girls who are persuaded to have their breasts cut off, and later regret it. If you are not at all bothered by that, kudos for zen imperturbability.
    Here's an example of a quote where the person actually wrote the thing: "I consider the modern young Woke lefty to be the most despicable form of western humanity we have ever seen ... basically Nazis with pronouns ... I am beginning to hate them with all the individual bile the left has usually reserved for the right. So maybe things will balance out soon. Woke Skum"
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

I would suggest that people avoid Costa on the grounds that they sell shit coffee at high prices.
    EPG said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Go tell a breast cancer victim who has had a double mastectomy - like my cousin - that it’s “just the same as a tattoo or a piercing”

You are going to need some sort of mineral extraction licence if you dig any deeper.
    Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

You are going to need some sort of mineral extraction licence if you dig any deeper.
    Your pal Leon openly says he thinks Nazis were better than woke kids. Reflect on that.
    FF43 said:

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

I’m outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about the people outraged by the people outraged about … something.

Can’t we just ignore the clown show and buy another round before the bar shuts?
    EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

Your pal Leon openly says he thinks Nazis were better than woke kids. Reflect on that.
    Point of order. I described extreme Wokesters as “Nazis with pronouns”. I didn’t say they were WORSE than Nazis
    EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

It's the woke boomers I have a problem with. The sight of middle aged men applauding the mutilation of teenage girls brings out my inner Godwin.
    Andy_JS said:

"Social media could be as harmful to children as smoking or gambling – why is this allowed?
    Devi Sridhar"

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jul/04/smoking-gambling-children-social-media-apps-snapchat-health-regulation

A guard: I don't watch TV. It's a cultural wasteland filled with inappropriate metaphors and an unrealistic portrayal of life created by the liberal media elite.
    Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

It's the woke boomers I have a problem with.
    Woomers?
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Peck said:

FPT

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Are you ok?
    That's eugenics.
    Indeed. Poor people are allowed to have children. A baby is not a problem
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

Competitive is always better.

Any other interesting gubernatorials (love that word) coming up? Including any fun run off rules or the like?
    Only three total, including Mississippi, in 2023, others being Kentucky and Louisiana, both interesting AND competitive, but in different ways. AND both currently held by Democrats, so chances for GOP pickup(s) that might, could offset a possible MS upset.

> in Kentucky, incumbent Democatic Gov. Andy Breshear faces Republican state Attorney General David Cameron, an African American; July Public Opinion Strategies poll of 400 LV = Brashear 49% v Cameron 45%

> in Louisiana, incumbent Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards is term-limited; as of now most likely finishers in October Top 2 primary (based on July polling for state conservative group) are Republican state Attorney General Jeff Landry (30%) and Democrat Shawn Wilson (25%) an African American and former state transportation director under Bel Edwards.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Leon said:

Only cricket has this eerie bittersweetness.

So does properly made blackberry vinegar.

It is English sweet and sour.
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

Ok, on a technicality here. If you have an airport runway and a measuring device, I assume it would be far enough away to withstand fluctuations in temperature from aircraft, otherwise it would be up and down like the proverbial.

As for the Typhoon, yes it has powerful engines but you don't land with the afterburners on and any hot exhaust would rise backwards and upwards, not sideways. If you stand near a runway you don't melt.

Perhaps you are of an age to remember Whicker's World, one of the title sequences of which climaxed with Alan Whicker walking beside a runway as Concorde landed/took off. Concorde's four Olympus engines were enormously powerful, easily the equivalent of fighters (even nowadays).
    kle4 said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Miklosvar said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Sorry to sound dim.

It's the woke boomers I have a problem with.
    Woomers?
    Boowokers? Woboomers?
    O/T

BBC4 showing The Ascent of Man presented by Jacob Bronowski atm.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    viewcode said:

Peck said:

FPT

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Are you ok?
    That's eugenics.
    You don't have children, I take it.
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Peck said:

FPT

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

Are you ok?
    That's eugenics.
    You don't have children, I take it.
    I meant conceptually. Pun not intended.
    Dura_Ace said:

Your hero Vladimir isn't exactly a fan of the LGBT community.
  • Andy_JS said:

Devi Sridhar"

Well, yes, it could be but I'm wary of the question-begging headline that equates children gambling and smoking.
  • How the Russian propaganda machine works in Africa
    The Wagner Group has conquered the continent with the help of its mercenaries, as well as fake news outlets and influencers, drawing on a strong rejection of the West in general – and France in particular.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international/article/2023/07/31/how-the-russian-propaganda-machine-works-in-africa_6074552_4.html
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Um I'm confused. Town centres are wall-to-wall coffee shops, vape shops and charity shops, occasionally enlivened by something useful. If one wants to avoid Costas, finding an alternative would involve a long trek of about ten feet.

Or you could join a library, many of which have little coffee shops. Although the opening hours are rather arbitrary, tbh.

Andy_JS said:

Devi Sridhar"

Well, yes, it could be but I'm wary of the question-begging headline that equates children gambling and smoking.
    See also PB's incongruous and depressing conviction that gambling is a bad thing...☹️
    edited August 2023

How the Russian propaganda machine works in Africa
    The Wagner Group has conquered the continent with the help of its mercenaries, as well as fake news outlets and influencers, drawing on a strong rejection of the West in general – and France in particular.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/international/article/2023/07/31/how-the-russian-propaganda-machine-works-in-africa_6074552_4.html

CaspianReport video on Wagner in Africa. Think East India Company with added sadism. State-level power without state-level constraints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydH39HjuFZs
    Musk refuses to let Ukraine use Starlink to pilot drones.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-refuses-turn-starlink-195716991.html
  • Will The Hottest July On Record Affect Views Of Climate Change? | FiveThirtyEight Politics Podcast
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSu1IaQ1wio
    [deleted]
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Interesting to see that at least one person has read "The Marching Morons". Recently.

Which reminds me of the conclusion that the "Freakonomics"people came to some years ago: As I recall, they concluded that a drop in crime in the US had been caused by legalized abortion. And I think the Notorious RBG once said something supporting that conclusion. Somthing like we only kill the bad ones.

Whether or not you agree with that conclusion, I hope you will agree with me that that kind of thinking is, well, more than a little creepy. Not necessarily false, but creepy.

(For the record: I haven't looked at the study. But I found the positive reactions to it troubling. Especially since a disproportionate number of abortions in the US (30%?) are performed on black mothers.)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743
    Dura_Ace said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

TimS said:

This is a fucking stupid article. As might be expected from that site which is by and for the fucking stupid.

First, ambient temperature isn't affected by aircraft activity unless you're stood behind the exhaust.

Second, the RAF monitor the temperature on the runway because it has an effect on engine performance, among other things, and therefore influences T/O and other performance calculations. It is directly contrary to their best interests (not losing aircraft and killing crew) to have an unrepresentative reading.
    Extra marks for the use of "the fact that", though.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743
    Incredibly, despite Trump's cash crunch, his Save America leadership PAC shelled out another $108,000 in the first six months of the year for Melania Trump's stylist, Herve Pierre Braillard, while insisting to the FEC that it's for 'strategy consulting'.
    https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1686158398608310272
This discussion has been closed.