Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

An error of judgment – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23681865.despite-uk-attacks-holyrood-scots-want-powers-scottish-parliament/

MOST Scots believe the Scottish Parliament should have more powers than it does currently, according to a new poll which shows a majority opposed to “the Tories’ deliberate, co-ordinated attempts to reverse devolution”.

The research found that 51.8% of Scots were in favour of more devolution, with 17.7% in favour of powers being taken away from Holyrood.

Only 23.3% of Scots however in that poll think that the 'Scottish Parliament should have maximum powers, and Westminster Parliament no powers'
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

rcs1000 said:

We had neighbours who were quite strict vegetarians and brought their children up that way as well. For some reason the school decided they were under-nourished and contacted Social Services who paid them a visit and told them that the kids needed to be offered meat and fish as well.

Pesky interfering state telling people how to feed their kids???? :D
    One of the most tiresome people I know is a strict vegan. She eats vegan. Her husband eats vegan. Her daughter eats vegan. Even the bloody dog eats vegan.

And trust me, if you're not careful, you will end up on the receiving end of a lecture on the evils of eating any kind of animal product.

But their daughter is not malnourished. She's a 13 year old, five foot eleven girl, who is super fit, and plays basketball at an extremely high level.

It is perfectly possible, so long as you are careful to make sure you eat foods fortified with Vitamin B12, to have a very healthy vegan diet.
    I have noticed that most vegans will tell you they are vegan in about the first 5 minutes of conversation :smile: and having known several, I have yet to see any of them sit down at the table look at their dinner plate and rub their hands together in anticipation of a delicious repast. They look at their plate more like a difficult task they need to get through.

I could be a veggie, but never a vegan.
    I recently flourished a ham biscuit at a vegetarian friend, and asked him IF that constituted a hate crime.

He replied, hell yes! But that he would NOT press charges IF yours truly refrained from throwing it at him.
    Correction - I brandished that biscuit, thus a possible criminal violation IF a ham biscuit is indeed a weapon.
    Very confusing on a British forum - by 'biscuit', you mean 'scone' yes? Never had a ham one. Had a cheese one.
    In USA, a scone is a (usually) triangular SWEET pastry. Whereas (our) biscuits are (generally) square or round, usually made from wheat.

American biscuits typically plain that is zero filling UNTIL the eater adds butter, jam and/or honey.

OR alternatively, a slice of meat, most typically ham. Thus ham biscuit!

However, the biscuit I brandished, actually had bits of ham baked into it, so a variation on the theme.
    I used to rather like American biscuits when I lived in Georgia, particularly served with a cooked breakfast, or with meat and gravy.

There isn't really a British equivalent.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

stodge said:

Evening all :)

On topic, a fine example of nail-on-the-head from @Cyclefree. Mrs Stodge is in the world of AML, PEPs and the like and everything said in the thread she agrees.

The central point is the confidentiality between the customer and his/her bank isn't absolute until the bank has done its due diligence after which, once it accepts a customer, it applies. Banks are perfectly at liberty to refuse to take the funds of anyone (and it happens more often than we imagine) bit if you meet the bank's criteria, then you are a customer.

I don't know why Badenoch waded in - I've heard more intellectual heft from an empty bag of cheese and onion crisps.

Couldn't agree more, Stodgy.

As a latecomer to this story can someone please explain to me why the lady told the journalist about Farage's account? Was she mischief-making, or just plain ignorant of her obligations?
    I suspect they were being mischievous because Nige is an a***. I also suspect he was below the Coutts' threshold. He won't be now. But it looks like a black horse is coming to his rescue.

Rose was out of order, and Farage might have highlighted a hitherto little known, but unfortunate problem in the banking sector. But having to look at his smug mug on every TV bulletin bellyaching that the world is against this downtrodden national treasure is vomit inducing.
    Rose was out of order - there's clear confidentiality rules about identifying a partiular customer. Many organisations, both private and public, enforce confidentiality in employee contracts and some of these are quite stringent about what you can and can't do even after you've left an organisation.

This should apply from top to bottom and be enforced via the organisation's internal code of conduct and the disciplinary processes.

Rose broke the rules and had to go - I think Farage's demand the whole board should resign is too much. There's an acknowledgement he has been wronged and treated unfairly - a shade more dignity on his part would have allowed him to move on with his reputation enhanced but, as he has throughout his "political career", he's never been able to go past a microphone without wanting to tell everyone what he thinks about anything and everything.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited July 2023

ydoethur said:

That's child abuse. Kids need meat and fish when they're growing up.

Maybe Sir Kid Starver is apt.
    I am reminded of Lord Blake's acid comment on Sir Stafford Cripps:

'He was not only a vegetarian and teetotaller, he looked like one too.'

But whatever it is, it isn't child abuse, and I'm surprised as a parent yourself you would say that.
    It certainly is - children need proper nutrition to grow and develop properly.
    [Narrator: Sunak is a vegetarian and 5ft 6 inches tall]

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23682115.rigged-spray-portrait-king-charles-national-gallery/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=260723

Specially for our Royal Correspondent @HYUFD - does this constitute treason?

Seriously, though, I wonder how they got the aerosol cans in.

Criminal damage certainly
    They've spray-painted the glass, not the actual canvas.
    Still damaged the glass
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Ken Clarke was on R4 earlier today. I like Ken Clarke. In amongst his reflections he said something along the lines of the best governments of 'recent' years being Thatcher's and Atlee's. In my view he's completely right on the first, but it caused me to reflect and do some small research on what I know of the Atlee government. On the face of it, it seems to have been entirely awful. Atlee just steered the cart into the wall.

What were Atlee's merits? (Let's leave the NHS aside because it's so emotive, and we all know)

Good point, what were Thatcher's merits (Let's leave tranforming the economy, because it's so emotive, and we all know).
    Here's an easy one, AIDS: as a scientist, and despite her methodist beliefs, she did what was effective at saving lives, not merely retreating in the comfort zone of "abstinence first".
    I'm not sure that's fair. Just as narratives of Reagan's role in the Falklands must include Caspar Weinberger who did a Leo on him, allegedly in the Oval Office, tales of Thatcher during AIDS must include people like Norman Fowler, and Edwina Currie and (I might be wrong here:swiss cheese memory) David Mellor who pressed for action when many did not.
    So, because she received good advice, we shouldn't give her credit?

That seems a little harsh.
    She also brought in Section 28, so a bit on the debit side too.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,139
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23681865.despite-uk-attacks-holyrood-scots-want-powers-scottish-parliament/

MOST Scots believe the Scottish Parliament should have more powers than it does currently, according to a new poll which shows a majority opposed to “the Tories’ deliberate, co-ordinated attempts to reverse devolution”.

The research found that 51.8% of Scots were in favour of more devolution, with 17.7% in favour of powers being taken away from Holyrood.

Only 23.3% of Scots however in that poll think that the 'Scottish Parliament should have maximum powers, and Westminster Parliament no powers'
    I believe a lot of Scots would like to see campervan regulations under the sole control of the SN.. oops I mean ther Scottish Assembly.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

stodge said:

On topic, a fine example of nail-on-the-head from @Cyclefree. Mrs Stodge is in the world of AML, PEPs and the like and everything said in the thread she agrees.

The central point is the confidentiality between the customer and his/her bank isn't absolute until the bank has done its due diligence after which, once it accepts a customer, it applies. Banks are perfectly at liberty to refuse to take the funds of anyone (and it happens more often than we imagine) bit if you meet the bank's criteria, then you are a customer.

I don't know why Badenoch waded in - I've heard more intellectual heft from an empty bag of cheese and onion crisps.

As a latecomer to this story can someone please explain to me why the lady told the journalist about Farage's account? Was she mischief-making, or just plain ignorant of her obligations?
    I suspect they were being mischievous because Nige is an a***. I also suspect he was below the Coutts' threshold. He won't be now. But it looks like a black horse is coming to his rescue.

Rose was out of order, and Farage might have highlighted a hitherto little known, but unfortunate problem in the banking sector. But having to look at his smug mug on every TV bulletin bellyaching that the world is against this downtrodden national treasure is vomit inducing.
    It’s quite probable that she didn’t know the exact circumstances of the Farage situation, due to data protection rules internally.

1) So she decided to mouth off to a journalist. 2) And tell him stuff that wasn’t true.
    3) And when the BBC rang up next day, said OK to running her comments.

Stupid^3 - getting into a bullshitting competition with Nigel Farage?
    Strong prospect - certain as it transpired - of Door Number 3 ought to have sent alarm bells ringing in her head.

Fact they did NOT ring, is why said head is rolling down the pike . . . with a few more to come?

To paraphrase Edith Cavell - sometimes connections are not enough.
    WHY does the counter on this thread, say they is just "1 Comment"?
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    Say what you like about Nigel Farage but he his bloody effective when he puts his mind to it
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

The number of on topic comments?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

We had neighbours who were quite strict vegetarians and brought their children up that way as well. For some reason the school decided they were under-nourished and contacted Social Services who paid them a visit and told them that the kids needed to be offered meat and fish as well.

One of the most tiresome people I know is a strict vegan. She eats vegan. Her husband eats vegan. Her daughter eats vegan. Even the bloody dog eats vegan.

And trust me, if you're not careful, you will end up on the receiving end of a lecture on the evils of eating any kind of animal product.

But their daughter is not malnourished. She's a 13 year old, five foot eleven girl, who is super fit, and plays basketball at an extremely high level.

It is perfectly possible, so long as you are careful to make sure you eat foods fortified with Vitamin B12, to have a very healthy vegan diet.
    It really isn't. Lots of vegans are chronically malnourished and there is plenty of evidence and research to support this fact.

Guess what? Humans need a balanced diet and thrive on such.
    I wouldn't disagree for a second that lots of vegans are malnorished.

But that is not my contention. I am saying that it is perfectly *possible* to eat a healthy diet as vegan.
    It isn't unusual for anorectics to go vegan as a way to lose weight, and refuse family meals etc. Sometimes it is the malnutrition that causes veganism rather than vice-versa.

There are ample numbers of healthy well nourished vegans, though few obese ones. That level of weight usually requires eating loads of saturated fat from meat or dairy.
    Pseudoscientific bullshit. Find any empirical evidence that saturated fat is 'fattier' than unsaturated, and how the alleged different pathway results in greater weight gain from eating the former as opposed to the latter.

As for the lack of obese vegans, who is going to abandon their life to the pleasures of food and then choose veganism as their preferred diet?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

Ken Clarke was on R4 earlier today. I like Ken Clarke. In amongst his reflections he said something along the lines of the best governments of 'recent' years being Thatcher's and Atlee's. In my view he's completely right on the first, but it caused me to reflect and do some small research on what I know of the Atlee government. On the face of it, it seems to have been entirely awful. Atlee just steered the cart into the wall.

What were Atlee's merits? (Let's leave the NHS aside because it's so emotive, and we all know)

Good point, what were Thatcher's merits (Let's leave tranforming the economy, because it's so emotive, and we all know).
    Here's an easy one, AIDS: as a scientist, and despite her methodist beliefs, she did what was effective at saving lives, not merely retreating in the comfort zone of "abstinence first".
    I'm not sure that's fair. Just as narratives of Reagan's role in the Falklands must include Caspar Weinberger who did a Leo on him, allegedly in the Oval Office, tales of Thatcher during AIDS must include people like Norman Fowler, and Edwina Currie and (I might be wrong here:swiss cheese memory) David Mellor who pressed for action when many did not.

She also brought in Section 28, so a bit on the debit side too.
    We're not evaluating her: the question was "What were her merits", and I came up with one that I would hope would be relatively uncontroversial.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

stodge said:

It’s quite probable that she didn’t know the exact circumstances of the Farage situation, due to data protection rules internally.

1) So she decided to mouth off to a journalist. 2) And tell him stuff that wasn’t true.
    3) And when the BBC rang up next day, said OK to running her comments.

Stupid^3 - getting into a bullshitting competition with Nigel Farage?
    Strong prospect - certain as it transpired - of Door Number 3 ought to have sent alarm bells ringing in her head.

Fact they did NOT ring, is why said head is rolling down the pike . . . with a few more to come?

To paraphrase Edith Cavell - sometimes connections are not enough.
    That moment when you realise that for all your self awarded genius you are Slotin. And the screwdriver has slipped.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23682115.rigged-spray-portrait-king-charles-national-gallery/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=260723

They've spray-painted the glass, not the actual canvas.
    Still damaged the glass
    It's a translation of the Scots Gaelic proverb:

"Is treasa tuath na tighearna"
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

eek said:
    Aw, shit. One of those amazing talents who you always felt could have been so much more. I'd say "rest in peace", but I don't think "peace" was anything she ever strived for.
    She did a song which was an attack on Thatcherism and racism in England and how awful we are called “Black boys on mopeds” but even though I was a staunch dribbling Tory boy at the time it is still an incredible song. Loved Mandinka too.

I remember a cover of Face magazine where she had been photographed in a long wig and she looked absolutely stunning. Hasn’t worked for Fabricant but can make a real difference.
    She was beautiful in any hair (or lack of it) cut. Quite ironical that she shaved it off to be less attractive but the camera in the Nothing Compares To You video still adored her.
    She was beautiful. Like Attlee's welfare state.
    Just as tragic but sadly not as durable.
    Taz said:

Mark Drakeford taking a leaf out of Sir Kid Starvers book and cutting funding for free school meals in wales for the poorest.

I’m sure Marcus Rashford can be mobilised to lobby against this !

What the fuck! The whole point about Welsh Labour is that it does the full old-fashioned tax-and-spend: free scrips, free school meals, etc. You also get the corruption and stupidity, but that's part of the package
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Omnium said:

She should not get the full credit, which is the point of the sentences I wrote.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

But whatever it is, it isn't child abuse, and I'm surprised as a parent yourself you would say that.

"Yeah, well I'm taller!" :lol:
  • MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

stodge said:

People bank at coutts for exactly one reason, which is: how can I look as much of a twat when I am not driving and nobody can see my personalised number plate?

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

It really isn't. Lots of vegans are chronically malnourished and there is plenty of evidence and research to support this fact.

But that is not my contention. I am saying that it is perfectly *possible* to eat a healthy diet as vegan.
    It isn't unusual for anorectics to go vegan as a way to lose weight, and refuse family meals etc. Sometimes it is the malnutrition that causes veganism rather than vice-versa.

There are ample numbers of healthy well nourished vegans, though few obese ones. That level of weight usually requires eating loads of saturated fat from meat or dairy.
    Pseudoscientific bullshit. Find any empirical evidence that saturated fat is 'fattier' than unsaturated, and how the alleged different pathway results in greater weight gain from eating the former as opposed to the latter.

As for the lack of obese vegans, who is going to abandon their life to the pleasures of food and then choose veganism as their preferred diet?
    Well quite obviously all fat is fat, by definition, but in practice a vegan diet is low in saturated fat, rich in fibre, rich in vitamins and other micronutrients. Pulses, nuts, vegetables etc are intrinsically more of a healthy diet than that of most Britons.
    I appear to have answered two distinct posts in the same post. Apologies. Yes I am on the train. How did you know?
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

I have noticed that most vegans will tell you they are vegan in about the first 5 minutes of conversation :smile: and having known several, I have yet to see any of them sit down at the table look at their dinner plate and rub their hands together in anticipation of a delicious repast. They look at their plate more like a difficult task they need to get through.

I could be a veggie, but never a vegan.
    I recently flourished a ham biscuit at a vegetarian friend, and asked him IF that constituted a hate crime.

He replied, hell yes! But that he would NOT press charges IF yours truly refrained from throwing it at him.
    Correction - I brandished that biscuit, thus a possible criminal violation IF a ham biscuit is indeed a weapon.
    Very confusing on a British forum - by 'biscuit', you mean 'scone' yes? Never had a ham one. Had a cheese one.
    In USA, a scone is a (usually) triangular SWEET pastry. Whereas (our) biscuits are (generally) square or round, usually made from wheat.

American biscuits typically plain that is zero filling UNTIL the eater adds butter, jam and/or honey.

OR alternatively, a slice of meat, most typically ham. Thus ham biscuit!

However, the biscuit I brandished, actually had bits of ham baked into it, so a variation on the theme.
    I used to rather like American biscuits when I lived in Georgia, particularly served with a cooked breakfast, or with meat and gravy.

There isn't really a British equivalent.
    For what it's worth, the slogan of flour-salesman-turned-politico W. Lee "Pappy" O'Daniel of Texas, reactionary "Regular" Democrat, in his successful campaigns for Governor and US Senator, was

"Pass the Biscuits, Pappy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxQmj788X2o

from his wiki page

In the late 1920s, O'Daniel assumed responsibility for [his then-employer's] company's radio advertising. To that end, he wrote songs, sang, and hired a group of musicians to form an old timey band to back his vocals. Originally called the Light Crust Doughboys, notable musicians such as Bob Wills got their start with O'Daniel.

After the Doughboys split up, O'Daniel formed the Western swing band Pat O'Daniel and his Hillbilly Boys. The new group was named after O'Daniel's own Hillbilly Flour Company. O'Daniel also hosted a regular noontime radio show heard statewide, which gave him his nickname after a catchphrase used frequently on air – "pass the biscuits, Pappy" – and propelled him into the public spotlight. By the mid-1930s, "Pappy" O'Daniel was a household name in Texas. As a national magazine reporter wrote at the time: "At twelve-thirty sharp each day, a fifteen-minute silence reigned in the state of Texas, broken only by mountain music, and the dulcet voice of W. Lee O'Daniel." The show extolled the values of Hillbilly brand flour, the Ten Commandments and the Bible.

My wife and her parents are having a heated argument in Bulgarian about Ukraine again.

"I Varna tell you a story!"
    Nothing compares to Sinead. RIP
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited July 2023

Say what you like about Nigel Farage but he his bloody effective when he puts his mind to it

If Victor Meldrew hadn't already been created some aspiring writer could have used Farage as a model for their miserable old curmudgeonly fictional character.

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well of course she had to go. But at the same time I don't see anything wrong with a private bank choosing who it wants to offer accounts to.

For this line to hold, society has to have an answer as to how someone without access to a bank account is supposed to work, find housing, energy, food and water. The only options I can see left available are homelessness, criminality or leaving the country.

Do you have an answer? If not, then there needs to be some way to protect, at a minimum, an individuals only/last bank account.
    Yes to function you need A bank account not any specific one.
    And if banks have the authority to close down accounts for their own purposes, why would any bank bother with the least attractive customers?
    By least attractive do we mean very poor or very right wing? Where is the actual in-practice big problem? I'm thinking the 1st category but it's not something I know much about.
    Poor, young, English as a second language, recent immigrants, anyone involved in crypto, gambling or small scale cash generative businesses.
    GAMBLING????????
    The Southland is THE cradle of the American biscuit.

Common elsewhere in USA, but ubiquitous south of the Mason-Dixon Line and east of El Paso.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172
    I suppose this month's assorted revelations have given us the Scooby Doo ending for GE24:

JRM is unmasked: And we would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you pescitarian Kid Starver.
    Miklosvar said:

stodge said:

People bank at coutts for exactly one reason, which is: how can I look as much of a twat when I am not driving and nobody can see my personalised number plate?
    I have one patient who always pays me by a Coutts cheque. Lovely old bloke, but perhaps the exception.
    Pro_Rata said:

I suppose this month's assorted revelations have given us the Scooby Doo ending for GE24:

JRM is unmasked: And we would have got away with it too if it wasn't for you pescitarian Kid Starver.

What's with this "Kid Starver" bollocks?
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    I looked up the Rose apology letter and agree it's in rubbish English but it's no worse than much of the material that's written by officials and senior figures nowadays:

https://archive.is/OEXOl

They'll be hard pressed to find somebody who's willing to give them English lessons. There's a general feature of the culture here...

But anyhow, let's dig the way the Torygraph refer to Nigel Farage as "the former UKIP leader". He resigned from that position 7 years ago and from the party itself 5 years ago which was also when he founded a new party. A year after its foundation that party won the EU election in Britain, knocking the Tories into fifth place, even behind the snots.

I've just read the Refukers' policy document which is the nearest thing they've got to a manifesto in the current mid-term. Wow, what it says about NHS waiting lists! They say other countries don't have them. They're right. It's unfortunate they don't point to the filthy corrupt reason why waiting lists exist here, but still. I've never seen any political party even begin to tell the truth in this area, not even the Labour party which goes on and on about how it cares so much about the health of the proletariat, nurses, and hospital construction contracts the state health service. I really hope RefUK shout their message about waiting lists during the election. If they further try to educate people on how your average British person is up to his eyeballs in debt to a far greater extent than your average person in an otherwise comparable foreign country, then it will be as if they're trying to win my vote. I have to admit that they're looking far less insular than the other political parties including the pro-EU Liberal Democrats and the globalistic snots.

But yeah yeah, Torygraph, Farage is the "former UKIP leader"...and you too, CycleFree, what you say about him and the EU.

As a conspiracy nutter and leftwing loony - truly the most classy of all combinations, much classier than the Coutts CEO or other posh guttersnipes from military families could ever manage in a thousand years - I don't think Farage or his party will be big players in the next election. In fact I suspect he knows a bit about Russian gold and I wonder whether there's a connection between the Knifing of the Dame at Coutts and the unsanctioning of Oleg Tinkov, but....what if?
    Miklosvar said:

stodge said:

That’s not the only reason. For a while, Coutts employed young, naive idiots as personal bankers. They would sign off just about any loan after a meal at half decent resteraunt.

A friend had to deal with the wreckage from this.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,172
    She did make that song.

Prince's original version is bobbins.

RIP.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    edited July 2023
    maxh said:

Cyclefree said:

Off topic, has anyone ever clad in wood a Portakabin?

I have lots of information on types of wood etc but less on how one attaches the fixing battens on the Portakabin without compromising it.

@Cyclefree great header, thanks.

I didn’t see anyone reply to this. I’d be tempted to use Hippo PRO3 adhesive. It’s my go-to for gluing pretty much anything to anything else and won’t compromise the portakabin. You could just glue the battens to it.

ETA: ah I see viewcode got there before me.
    This post has made me disproportionately happy. It is found poetry. Peak pb.com for today.

EDIT: I am amusing myself even more now by re-reading it in the Sprechgesang style of Mark E Smith.
    Foxy said:

Miklosvar said:

stodge said:

I have one patient who always pays me by a Coutts cheque. Lovely old bloke, but perhaps the exception.
    They have a core of people who bank there because their grand parents did. NatWest tried to sell the brand to all the tossers.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited July 2023
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well quite obviously all fat is fat, by definition, but in practice a vegan diet is low in saturated* fat, rich in fibre, rich in vitamins and other micronutrients. Pulses, nuts, vegetables etc are intrinsically more of a healthy diet than that of most Britons.
    *Saturated fat has no more calories than unsaturated fat, surely?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,533
    edited July 2023
    Sorry to derail the thread so early, but https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66318626.

"Sinéad O'Connor: Irish singer dies aged 56"

[Edit: sorry - thread only had one comment before I ever-so-slowly pasted things in]
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Pro_Rata said:

She did make that song.

Prince's original version is bobbins.

RIP.

It’s not bobbins but not as good as her cover. Similar situation with Manic Monday where the Bangles smashed it in a way he couldn’t.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    kle4 said:

My wife and her parents are having a heated argument in Bulgarian about Ukraine again.

What is the point of contention, if you are willing?
    Usual. Ukrainians brought it on themselves/they are not innocent etc. versus my wife giving the full Churchill treatment.

Older generation very successfully gaslit by the old communist regime here. Mainly affects over 50s.

If Victor Meldrew hadn't already been created some aspiring writer could have used Farage as a model for their miserable old curmudgeonly fictional character.
    It seems to me that Coutts made 3 massive mistakes:

1) They correctly identified that Farage wouldn't take the account closure lying down and still did it anyway. There was nothing to gain for the bank by closing his account.
    2) Having decided to close the account they put their reasons down IN WRITING (clearly no-one understood about SARs). If they had discussed in a meeting but put the written reason down as lack of funds, Farage wouldn't have had a case.
    3) The CEO then told a lie that was easily exposed by the written materials. Not only that but she made the BBC look like dupes.
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Imagine doing something like that in support of the position that the government should do what it's doing but even more so. What a Kitsonian pseudogang these revolting types are.

The ghost of Mary Richardson, slasher of Velasquez's Rokeby Venus, defecates on them. (Never mind the later part of her life. Celebrate the earlier part.)

@Carnyx - One of them probably just walked in with a can under his clothes or in a plastic bag, sauntering in with privately schooled confidence, maybe nodding at the security checker in his partly polyester jacket to communicate "Keep up the good work, George". It's not as if there's airport type security there. Then again, perhaps they were like those poshonky foxhunter types who got into the Commons.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680
    Can I assume that Coutts Bank has the photographs of Nigel Farage on Epstein Island??

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Quite horrendous actually. The fact he didn't subject them to full veganism is the only saving grace. Let's hope their development hasn't been affected too badly.
    Do you expect vegetarians like the Sunaks to feed their children on meat, or is it just white folk that should?
    Cultures with a long-standing vegetarian tradition have developed strategies to compensate for the lack of meat in their diet - liberal use of spices and butter/ghee being too examples I can think of within many dishes from India. That is different from faddish UK vegetarians - though I believe a diet that includes meat and fish to be the healthiest available for everyone, yes.
    As the Starmers have been vegetarian for decades and SKS is not noticeably cachectic or suffering from beri-beri, do you not think that they are capable of a varied vegetarian diet, as much as any Hindu?
    He apparently eats fish, so what's correct here?
    He eats fish, his wife does not, so at home they are vegetarian. It seems quite unremarkable to me.

His wife is Jewish, and several Jews that I know go veggie when out or travelling as automatically kosher. Perhaps as well as the ethical considerations of Kosher slaughter she simply got to like it.
    It also seems completely different to what you said when you were trying to make Starmer out to be the adonis-like poster child of senior vegetarians.
    If he is then it begs the question of why he wouldn't let his kids eat the fish he enjoyed himself.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

A lot more than the opposite extreme. A lot more.

Only a small minority want fewer or no powers.

1) They correctly identified that Farage wouldn't take the account closure lying down and still did it anyway. There was nothing to gain for the bank by closing his account.
    2) Having decided to close the account they put their reasons down IN WRITING (clearly no-one understood about SARs). If they had discussed in a meeting but put the written reason down as lack of funds, Farage wouldn't have had a case.
    3) The CEO then told a lie that was easily exposed by the written materials. Not only that but she made the BBC look like dupes.
    Apart from that though - you'd trust them with your millions?
    Miklosvar said:

stodge said:

To save money on expensive private number plates I changed my name by deed poll to EU23POA.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Quite horrendous actually. The fact he didn't subject them to full veganism is the only saving grace. Let's hope their development hasn't been affected too badly.
    Do you expect vegetarians like the Sunaks to feed their children on meat, or is it just white folk that should?
    Cultures with a long-standing vegetarian tradition have developed strategies to compensate for the lack of meat in their diet - liberal use of spices and butter/ghee being too examples I can think of within many dishes from India. That is different from faddish UK vegetarians - though I believe a diet that includes meat and fish to be the healthiest available for everyone, yes.
    As the Starmers have been vegetarian for decades and SKS is not noticeably cachectic or suffering from beri-beri, do you not think that they are capable of a varied vegetarian diet, as much as any Hindu?
    He eats fish, his wife does not, so at home they are vegetarian. It seems quite unremarkable to me.

His wife is Jewish, and several Jews that I know go veggie when out or travelling as automatically kosher. Perhaps as well as the ethical considerations of Kosher slaughter she simply got to like it.
    It also seems completely different to what you said when you were trying to make Starmer out to be the adonis-like poster child of senior vegetarians.
    If he is then it begs the question of why he wouldn't let his kids eat the fish he enjoyed himself.
    Might have been chips only. You can't tell from the photo.

Yours is the only comment - all the others you 'see' are part of the Matrix.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Well quite obviously all fat is fat, by definition, but in practice a vegan diet is low in saturated* fat, rich in fibre, rich in vitamins and other micronutrients. Pulses, nuts, vegetables etc are intrinsically more of a healthy diet than that of most Britons.
    *Saturated fat has no more calories than unsaturated fat, surely?
    Yes, but most fat in a vegan diet is unsaturated (olive oil, sunflower oil etc) so intrinsically less of it in a typical meal, while the fat in meat and dairy is served in much larger portions, as it is saturated and hence solid.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You mean, regurgitate it, like a bird? Doubt they'd have enjoyed it near as much as he did.

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting that a clinical endocrinologist, specialising in diabetes in *Leicester*, in your view doesn't know anything about vegetarianism and suitable diets.
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

He's teetotal and doesn't eat beef as a Hindu. Not sure that means he's always vegetarian.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    Peck said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Imagine doing something like that in support of the position that the government should do what it's doing but even more so. What a Kitsonian pseudogang these revolting types are.

The ghost of Mary Richardson, slasher of Velasquez's Rokeby Venus, defecates on them. (Never mind the later part of her life. Celebrate the earlier part.)

@Carnyx - One of them probably just walked in with a can under his clothes or in a plastic bag, sauntering in with privately schooled confidence, maybe nodding at the security checker in his partly polyester jacket to communicate "Keep up the good work, George". It's not as if there's airport type security there. Then again, perhaps they were like those poshonky foxhunter types who got into the Commons.
    Fun fact (fun for me, anyway): Velasquez is an ancestor of mine.

(The mathematics of this sort of thing being what they are, chances are he's an ancestor of quite a few of us.)

kle4 said:

Usual. Ukrainians brought it on themselves/they are not innocent etc. versus my wife giving the full Churchill treatment.

Older generation very successfully gaslit by the old communist regime here. Mainly affects over 50s.
    Well the older generation here were successfully gaslit by the right-wing media about the 'evils' of Europe. You'd think the older people get the susceptible they'd be to that sort of thing, but no.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

You mean, regurgitate it, like a bird? Doubt they'd have enjoyed it near as much as he did.
    You don't see a red spot on his chin, do you? *worried about my eyesight*
  • ohnotnow said:

Apart from that though - you'd trust them with your millions?
    Haha:-)

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I was vegan for many years and I'm a fat f**k. 100% of science right there.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

His wife is vegetarian.

The Starmer children have also been brought up Jewish, despite Starmer being Atheist. Maybe she calls the shots on these things, and as he isn't too bothered is quite willing for her to do so.
    Penddu2 said:

Can I assume that Coutts Bank has the photographs of Nigel Farage on Epstein Island??

Do you feel under pressure not to wonder in public whether the bankers to the royal family have the king's brother and Britain's former "trade envoy" Andrew as a client?
    ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am not saying it is impossible to be a fat vegan, but it is rare.

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Alicia Silverstone (the actress in "Clueless") chews her child's food for him and moves it into their mouth, I think in a motion similar to a kiss.
    Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Do we need to preserve Ohnotnow in the hospital museum, then?
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Any good lip readers?

The K9 officer at the end of this line said something to Trump and didn’t shake his hand.[VIDEO]

https://twitter.com/patriottakes/status/1684247211503124483?s=20

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Interesting that a clinical endocrinologist, specialising in diabetes in *Leicester*, in your view doesn't know anything about vegetarianism and suitable diets.
    I find it very interesting (though not terribly surprising) that such a person is spouting such disprovable nonsense.
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Alicia Silverstone (the actress in "Clueless") chews her child's food for him and moves it into their mouth, I think in a motion similar to a kiss.
    Indeed. How does one think they made baby food in the old days? Exchange some mammoth meat for Gerbers at the local shop?

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

He's teetotal and doesn't eat beef as a Hindu. Not sure that means he's always vegetarian.
    As I remember, Gandhi wondered if not eating meat was one of the reasons India kept getting conquered. Tried some and thought it was dreadful and gave up on the idea.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Mitch McConnell seems to be having health problems judging by this appearance.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1684262402664038405

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I find it very interesting (though not terribly surprising) that such a person is spouting such disprovable nonsense.
    What's disprovable about it? The amount of fat in a large steak would require drinking several tablespoons of olive oil to get the vegan equivalent.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wait: I thought @Foxy was an eye doctor.
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Indeed. How does one think they made baby food in the old days? Exchange some mammoth meat for Gerbers at the local shop?
    I must confess I did not know that.
    edited July 2023
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Wait: I thought @Foxy was an eye doctor.
    Reasonably sure he isn't - I recall him [edit] mentioning his clinic for elderly monks from the local abbey, for instance, and (separately) the effects of exercise on Type 2 diabetes. But he can speak for himself.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    This is ridiculous:

New: Officials say the government's approach to Alison Rose's position at NatWest damaged UK Plc by causing a disorderly removal of a CEO at a major bank.

https://twitter.com/annaisaac/status/1684262179392847894
    viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I must confess I did not know that.
    Reasonable inference, I think. Certainly in the early days of H. sapiens (which is to say, same as us).

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

He has said he is a vegetarian in a number of interviews. Many Hindus are.

His SPAD on environmental issues is a vegan.

This is ridiculous:

New: Officials say the government's approach to Alison Rose's position at NatWest damaged UK Plc by causing a disorderly removal of a CEO at a major bank.

What a load of bollocks. Is commenting on someone doing something stupid damaging the country now?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069

Yes. He has that rare quality; when he speaks you listen. Very few have it to the degree he has. Blair. Clinton. Thatcher. Ken Clarke. Obama. Salmond. Boris (of course). Of current performers there are traces of it in Badenoch, Gove, Streeting. Best of the current bunch is Kate Forbes.

As to the opposite quality; when they speak you go to sleep. The choice is endless. Right at the top: SNP leader (can't recall his name), Barclay, Sir K (sadly), Jenrick, Reeves, Hands, Dowden, Davey, Ashworth, Thomas-Symonds.

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Do we need to preserve Ohnotnow in the hospital museum, then?
    The poor bricky whi'd have to re-enforce the floor. Let's spare them that horror.
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

He surrounds himself with some total shockers. Another one (maybe the same?) is a rabid euro-nutter.
    algarkirk said:

Yes. He has that rare quality; when he speaks you listen. Very few have it to the degree he has. Blair. Clinton. Thatcher. Ken Clarke. Obama. Salmond. Boris (of course). Of current performers there are traces of it in Badenoch, Gove, Streeting. Best of the current bunch is Kate Forbes.

Trump. Unfortunately.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    rcs1000 said:

Isn't Djokovic vegan ?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited July 2023
    Re Starmers wife is that because in Judaism the mothers religion is how the children will be brought up . I found this aspect nice in that it’s one of the few religions where on that fundamental area it’s not patriarchal.
    nico679 said:

Is that because in Judaism the mothers religion is how the children will be brought up . I found this aspect nice in that it’s one of the few religions where on that fundamental area it’s not patriarchal.

I have a very dim memory that one of the reasons the Pict's 'died out' was that they were Matriarchal but surrounded by people who were Patriarchal. So the names and customs just faded over the generations due to intermarriage.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't Djokovic vegan ?
    I think he’s gluten free . He said that change really helped him in terms of his conditioning.
    edited July 2023
    ohnotnow said:

nico679 said:

Is that because in Judaism the mothers religion is how the children will be brought up . I found this aspect nice in that it’s one of the few religions where on that fundamental area it’s not patriarchal.

I have a very dim memory that one of the reasons the Pict's 'died out' was that they were Matriarchal but surrounded by people who were Patriarchal. So the names and customs just faded over the generations due to intermarriage.
    You have a memory of it? Blimey, I didn't figure you for that old. Move over Geoffw.
    Foxy said:

Miklosvar said:

stodge said:

I used to receive exactly one Coutts cheque per year, but recently some footman or butler must have worked out how to press buttons and pull the levers so it goes direct into my Plebeian Wasters Bank basic account.

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

You'd be surprised at the number of Hindus in India who eat beef.

kle4 said:

Well the older generation here were successfully gaslit by the right-wing media about the 'evils' of Europe. You'd think the older people get the susceptible they'd be to that sort of thing, but no.
    Nope. Proper gaslit from an authoritarian non-democratic non-free regime.

Not petty domestic partisan point-scoring stuff, like you just did.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    nico679 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't Djokovic vegan ?
    I think he’s gluten free . He said that change really helped him in terms of his conditioning.
    So he's not competing on paniagua?
    edited July 2023
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Trump. Unfortunately.
    Yes, point taken. For me he is on a slightly different list. He has a different skill. Unlike all the people I mention his intentions are wholly malign and self interested. Dangerous demagogues are a separate group. Putin, Trump, obvs a number of German leaders from 1930s to 1945, a rich choice in the middle east. There are no positive reasons that make them listenable. Only bad ones.

By UK standards Boris made the bad list, but not by world standards.
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

Isn't Djokovic vegan ?
    Yes, has been for 15 years. Venus Williams and Lewis Hamilton too.

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

You'd be surprised at the number of Hindus in India who eat beef.
    I hear rumours that at least one good Muslim boy on this site occasionally enjoys a beer.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Your point (3) is the key one, but not what people are picking up on this story .

Making sure staff understand that it is not enough to get decisions done for the right reasons. They must also be accurately recorded and in a way that won’t cause problems if made public

There are genuine issues with banks apparently arbitrarily closing people's accounts, but Farage isn't one of those.
    edited July 2023
    Labour announce their 'Non Priority seats Parliamentary candidates selection process is open'. List of seats below for any Labour candidates seeking to earn their spurs before seeking a safer or better prospect, unless the odd 197 style shock

https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Seats-Open-For-Selection.pdf
    maxh said:

Cyclefree said:

Off topic, has anyone ever clad in wood a Portakabin?

I have lots of information on types of wood etc but less on how one attaches the fixing battens on the Portakabin without compromising it.

@Cyclefree great header, thanks.

I didn’t see anyone reply to this. I’d be tempted to use Hippo PRO3 adhesive. It’s my go-to for gluing pretty much anything to anything else and won’t compromise the portakabin. You could just glue the battens to it.

ETA: ah I see viewcode got there before me.
    Bookmarked ...
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

This is ridiculous:

She’s the victim here !
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

Lol.

Who cares about the SPAD?

Mitch McConnell seems to be having health problems judging by this appearance.

https://twitter.com/frankthorp/status/1684262402664038405

Perhaps he's been dining out at Starmer's gaff.
    UK projected to be 10th largest economy by 2075 just behind Germany at 9th. China biggest, US second, India 3rd, Indonesia 4th and Nigeria 5th.

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/status/1684144351239196672?s=20
This discussion has been closed.