Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Starmer is in tune with the nation – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,877

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

Cookie said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

148grss said:

Pagan2 said:

I suspect Starmer will be viewed as in tune with the nation right up until they publish their general election manifesto. The I suspect their poll ratings will do a Theresa May plummet.

Do you think that the manifesto will be to the right or left of where the public are? Because at the moment I think it's more likely to be to the right of public sentiment, and leave a wide area for left wing attacks on Starmer's Labour Party.
    No idea whether it will be right or left, I just think most people will look at it and go that isn't fixing any of our problems, the same will be true of the tory , green, snp and libdem manifestos
    That's a reasonable take - the problems in front of us are massive and nothing short of revolutionary change on par with war time economy moves will deal with them. I feel Labour's manifesto will be a dull turd, and it will disappoint a number of people on the left, whilst not actually having enough of the red meat stuff wanted by those who would typically vote Tory, and so the LDs and Greens will have an opportunity to suggest radical change and get interest from voters. If the Tories keep polling as badly as they are, potentially squeezing for votes becomes harder - if the electorate see Tory defeat as inevitable they might feel less likely that they need to vote Labour to get the Tories out and can afford to vote for one of the alternatives if they truly want to.
    I don't think the problems we face are that massive. We just need to face the fact that we are living beyond our means, and have been doing so since about 2001. And then we need to stop doing so. This isn't going to impoverish us - just make us realise that we aren't as rich as we thought.
    Except you look at the areas where the Government spends money and none of them are in a position where cuts can be made..
    Which is why I argue we need to reduce the number of area's the government spends money.

So pick a couple and watch the reaction....
    just did above
    No you didn't you picked the things you wish to priorities - tell me things you don't think money should be spent on...
    I said these should be the priorities for fully funding. When we see what we have left over is the time to think about what else to spend on.

When I budget I first spend on the must haves, then I see what is left and decide what else to spend money on. It maybe for example after these top 4 then we have no money left.

Until we know what is left how can you decide. The ones I mentioned are essentials for a functional society
    But countries aren't like individuals in their finances. It's a misleading analogy. You have an income. A country can raise taxes, but has much more flexibility in what those taxes are, yet also those taxes can have knock on effects on the economy. A country usually has its own currency. It can literally print money, although doing so can devalue everyone's holdings of that money through inflation. Countries can borrow comparatively cheaply over very long periods in a way a person can't. Countries are indefinite: they don't have to worry about a personal pension (although they do have to worry about paying many pensions all the time).
    The Weimar republic printed money, so did zimbabwe etc....remind us how that worked. Having your own currency does not mean you can print unlimited amounts with no consequence as both my examples found out. Taxes are already higher than they have been since the 70's I do not believe more can be raised in tax without pushing a lot of heads underwater.
    No, you can’t print unlimited amounts of money, but you can print limited amounts of money. I wasn’t intending to start a debate on monetary policy: just pointing out that it’s part of what makes a country running its finances different to a household running their finances.

Taxes are currently high. I suggest that’s because of austerity. Too much penny-pinching has ended up creating extra costs, whereas more investment would have put us in a better position. Or maybe it’s simply because the Tories are fundamentally bad at running the country, something easily solved at the next general election.

I think taxes can be raised, and can be raised in a manner that doesn’t impact on those struggling to keep their heads above water. There are plenty of people, including myself, who can afford to pay more in tax. There are plenty of companies that can afford to pay more in tax.
    37% of uk people over 16 pay no income tax currently
    How much can you raise corporation tax before we become unwelcoming to corporations coming here.

How many higher rate tax payers can you raise tax on before they go I can go elsewhere?

Sadly the truth is the only way to raise tax income is to raise the basic and 40% tax rates and those are also the people struggling to make the paycheque last till the end of the month.
    Taxes should ideally be low, consistent, evenly applied and unavoidable.

That makes them fair and not an inhibitor to growth.

The biggest problem in this country isn't that taxes are too high, or too low, its that they're too uneven. Some people can arrange their affairs so they essentially avoid taxes almost altogether [far too low], while others are facing marginal tax rates of 60-70%+ [far too high].

Tackling the inequities in the system would allow lower taxes on those paying too much, but would require wiping out the exemptions that exist in the system and require taxing those who are undertaxed more - and that will cause pain and cost votes.
    Yes agree our current tax sytem is a mess and needs sorting out and the cliff edges removing
  • Options
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

I've met Huw Edwards, lovely fella, knows his politics, even followed me on Twitter.

This situation is very dangerous for the Sun and the rest of the anti-BBC press (and I say that as someone who is opposed to the licence fee as a funding emchanism).

If it turns out that Edwards has done nothing illegal then they will have driven a very popular man into a mental breakdown just for their own salacious or politically motivated benefit. As someone said earlier it would be lovely if the Liverpool attitude to the Sun was adopted by the whole country.
    And that is what seems to be the case - albeit in a way that means the Bun (unlike 100,000s of people on twitter) won't be spending money in libel payments...
    So what does the Sun do now? Presumably, their reports were written in such a way as to be libel-proof ("we just reported the concerns of a worried mother...") but they may have Ratnered their brand, as they did with the News of the World. Do they go for the kill or try to reverse ferret?

It may be my Centrist Dad bubble, but I'd like to think this costs them sales and advertising revenue. How many people want to pay to see wings pulled off butterflies like this?
    Let's say this wasn't Huw Edwards but a prominent Conservative politician. Would that make it okay?

Does the mother of the child deserve a platform? (honest question)
    1. If it's off-duty, no it shouldn't matter. If X is using their role to channel public favours to their private squeeze, or uses their public status to abusively snare a squeeze, that's different. But off-duty is off-duty. Recognition of that is one of the things that is better about now than the semi-recent past. "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone" is a good principle.

2. Lots of people have complaints that don't make the front pages, because they aren't salacious enough. And I'm not sure that going to the press is going to make a reconcilliation within the family easier.
    Huw was using our money - the licence fee money - to get his rocks off with a teen. Due to the unique way the BBC is funded I’m afraid this is therefore of public interest

The BBC cannot have it both ways
    What he does with his own money is his own business.

Had it been illegal, then it'd be public interest, but considering the Police have now investigated and said no crime committed then its much ado about nothing.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

I've met Huw Edwards, lovely fella, knows his politics, even followed me on Twitter.

This situation is very dangerous for the Sun and the rest of the anti-BBC press (and I say that as someone who is opposed to the licence fee as a funding emchanism).

If it turns out that Edwards has done nothing illegal then they will have driven a very popular man into a mental breakdown just for their own salacious or politically motivated benefit. As someone said earlier it would be lovely if the Liverpool attitude to the Sun was adopted by the whole country.
    And that is what seems to be the case - albeit in a way that means the Bun (unlike 100,000s of people on twitter) won't be spending money in libel payments...
    So what does the Sun do now? Presumably, their reports were written in such a way as to be libel-proof ("we just reported the concerns of a worried mother...") but they may have Ratnered their brand, as they did with the News of the World. Do they go for the kill or try to reverse ferret?

It may be my Centrist Dad bubble, but I'd like to think this costs them sales and advertising revenue. How many people want to pay to see wings pulled off butterflies like this?
    Let's say this wasn't Huw Edwards but a prominent Conservative politician. Would that make it okay?

1. If it's off-duty, no it shouldn't matter. If X is using their role to channel public favours to their private squeeze, or uses their public status to abusively snare a squeeze, that's different. But off-duty is off-duty. Recognition of that is one of the things that is better about now than the semi-recent past. "Let he who has no sin cast the first stone" is a good principle.

2. Lots of people have complaints that don't make the front pages, because they aren't salacious enough. And I'm not sure that going to the press is going to make a reconcilliation within the family easier.
    Huw was using our money - the licence fee money - to get his rocks off with a teen. Due to the unique way the BBC is funded I’m afraid this is therefore of public interest

Had it been illegal, then it'd be public interest, but considering the Police have now investigated and said no crime committed then its much ado about nothing.
    No it isn't

"Edwards facing 'yet more allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards colleagues' - BBC
    The BBC has just reported that Huw Edwards is facing "yet more allegations of inappropriate behaviour" this evening.

The fresh accusations are that he behaved inappropriately towards colleagues at the BBC, the broadcaster has reported"

Sky

That's all entirely new. They must be pretty confident of their case to put this out there at this stage
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,160
    Miklosvar said:

Sky 37 m ago

Edwards facing 'yet more allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards colleagues' - BBC
    The BBC has just reported that Huw Edwards is facing "yet more allegations of inappropriate behaviour" this evening.

The fresh accusations are that he behaved inappropriately towards colleagues at the BBC, the broadcaster has reported.

Sun may be on the back foot, BBC seems to be ploughing on.

We do need to get into a position, as a society, where inappropriate behaviour is reported as near the time it occurs as possible, for the good of both victim and perpetrator. Reporting early allows potential for training, guarding, and reduces the chances of escalation of bad behviour.

Whereas sadly we're in a situation where victims often do not report even minor issues, for understandable reasons, and behaviour just worsens.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,078

I have started to consider the possibility of leaving the country for the first time in my life in the last year. It’s not really the tax rate which is the problem, it’s just too low salaries and too high cost of living.

Maybe everywhere else is the same, maybe it isn’t, but maybe there’s a better life somewhere else.

Pity that I picked one of the only geographically limited (save for language) jobs for a new career :D

It is hard to find a place where the same job gets you a higher salaries and a lower cost of living. If you're a Western professional, it's true of the Gulf, because you can use the indentured servant class.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,405
    Farooq said:

Right, that's me off for a while.

Even though I won't be on here, I promise you it doesn't mean that I'm secretly Huw Edwards...

An effective shift. Take it easy.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916
    nico679 said:

The Sun was desperate to find criminality and to use Edwards as a stick to beat the BBC with.

The fact Edwards is now receiving treatment in a mental hospital should be the end of the media orgy . The BBC will conduct their investigation and I don’t want to hear any more about this case until that’s finished .

Surely the general public have had enough now !

They need to take it seriously and stop being cowed. Firstly get Katie Razzell off the story and put an adult onto it. Emily Maitless would be ideal. She should never have been driven out. Her position was untenable but it's really time to start behaving like the BBC again and to do that they need some cerebral anchors. You cant expect their entertainment corespondents to do Glastonbury one day and a serious news story the next.

And Tim Davie should be replaced immediately. He's hopeless

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,035
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

"Edwards facing 'yet more allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards colleagues' - BBC

The fresh accusations are that he behaved inappropriately towards colleagues at the BBC, the broadcaster has reported"

Sky

That's all entirely new. They must be pretty confident of their case to put this out there at this stage
    Or they are worried and trying to muddy the water.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

Which is an hr/police issue depending on the complaint. I am the first to complain about the misuse of public money. I don't see public money involved here in the alleged behavourior
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,677
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Sorry you are wrong, I say this as someone who has no truck with the bbc. If the BBC had been funding it to keep their talent you are right....however if you pay someone a salary and they spend it in a way thats less than optimal it is not down to the employer. It is the same if a civil servant uses their salary to pay for prostitutes...once its paid out as salary its no longer public money
    He just got £400,000 a year and a massive pay rise. Unfortunate timing
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,624
    I don't agree with removing the charitable status of public schools, but I do think they could be obliged to give more support to the care system, by taking on allocations of kids from childrens' homes. Take kids out of the care system and instead give them all the benefits of an education at Mallory Towers.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited July 2023

Miklosvar said:

Sky 37 m ago

Edwards facing 'yet more allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards colleagues' - BBC

The fresh accusations are that he behaved inappropriately towards colleagues at the BBC, the broadcaster has reported.

Sun may be on the back foot, BBC seems to be ploughing on.

We do need to get into a position, as a society, where inappropriate behaviour is reported as near the time it occurs as possible, for the good of both victim and perpetrator. Reporting early allows potential for training, guarding, and reduces the chances of escalation of bad behviour.

Whereas sadly we're in a situation where victims often do not report even minor issues, for understandable reasons, and behaviour just worsens.
    This was a key component of the Guardian / FT story. It went on for years and years and years, then somebody who was personally effected wanted to write about it and they got shut down at a different newspaper. And even more years passed.
  • Options

I don't agree with removing the charitable status of public schools, but I do think they could be obliged to give more support to the care system, by taking on allocations of kids from childrens' homes. Take kids out of the care system and instead give them all the benefits of an education at Mallory Towers.

Two very different sets of needs.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Sorry you are wrong, I say this as someone who has no truck with the bbc. If the BBC had been funding it to keep their talent you are right....however if you pay someone a salary and they spend it in a way thats less than optimal it is not down to the employer. It is the same if a civil servant uses their salary to pay for prostitutes...once its paid out as salary its no longer public money
    Once he is paid it however it is not public money. Argue he is paid to much I would probably agree...however how he spends it once paid it is a private matter
  • Options
    EPG said:

I don’t agree.
  • Options
    If Edwards hasn't done anything criminal, then it's none of my business, and I hope he can recover and find peace, even though I guess his career is now over. I get that it's a story for the Sun, and that the public like to hear about it but who amongst us hasn't done something a bit morally dubious when trying to get our rocks off or while seeking a bit of excitement? I'm just not feeling the outrage that twitter seems to be apoplectic about it.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033
    EPG said:

Isn’t that basically the origin of the Sardaukar in Dune?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Huw was using our money - the licence fee money - to get his rocks off with a teen. Due to the unique way the BBC is funded I’m afraid this is therefore of public

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Piss off you grubby fuck. By that principle the Egyptian/Kentucky tourism boards* should have a direct line to your questionable Thai outgoings.
    Jesus calm the fuck down. He’s a famous BBC tv dude
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,440
    Farooq said:

Even though I won't be on here, I promise you it doesn't mean that I'm secretly Huw Edwards...

Haste Ye Back
  • Options

My old fee-paying school did exactly that, from memory. Only kids who could pass the entrance exam though.

The school had oodles of local kids, particularly as day pupils, on bursaries. Although to be fair it wasn't really the 'done' thing to discuss who was paying what.
  • Options

If Edwards hasn't done anything criminal, then it's none of my business, and I hope he can recover and find peace, even though I guess his career is now over. I get that it's a story for the Sun, and that the public like to hear about it but who amongst us hasn't done something a bit morally dubious when trying to get our rocks off or while seeking a bit of excitement? I'm just not feeling the outrage that twitter seems to be apoplectic about it.

I haven't but then I dont accept christian morality
  • Options

My old fee-paying school did exactly that, from memory. Only kids who could pass the entrance exam though.

The school had oodles of local kids, particularly as day pupils, on bursaries. Although to be fair it wasn't really the 'done' thing to discuss who was paying what.
    Yes, many public schools do it. I would like it to be done a lot more, as an agreed element of charitable status.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,535
    Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

Which is an hr/police issue depending on the complaint. I am the first to complain about the misuse of public money. I don't see public money involved here in the alleged behavourior
    Paying Huw Edwards an absolute shit tonne of money is a misuse of public money. Maybe that's why he always looked so smug.

Huw Edwards paying teenagers for naked pictures is a misuse of his own money. And maybe that's why he always looked so smug.

Neither are great, but they are separate issues.

I feel some sympathy for him. Clearly this isn't a great position for a middle aged family man to be going through, even without doing it in the public eye. But it was entirely self-inflicted by his own almost inconceivably stupid behaviour. It wasn't a sting or anything like that. The spin that this is some right-wing stitch up is preposterous.

And there's clearly a lot of people in the BBC not altogether averse to seeing him hung out to dry.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,033
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Huw was using our money - the licence fee money - to get his rocks off with a teen. Due to the unique way the BBC is funded I’m afraid this is therefore of public

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Piss off you grubby fuck. By that principle the Egyptian/Kentucky tourism boards* should have a direct line to your questionable Thai outgoings.
    Hold on, I think I caught sight of a social worker buying Heinz instead of own brand beans. Fire up an enquiry, it’s A Waste Of Public Money* 😂

*And YOU’RE Paying For It! (copyright, The Daily Mail)
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

EPG said:

Likely that was the stories of slave armies in the Near East like the Janissaries or the Mamluks.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Once he is paid it however it is not public money. Argue he is paid to much I would probably agree...however how he spends it once paid it is a private matter
    Bingo.

I think he (and other BBC "talent") is paid much too much money, and the BBC could do with paying less to fresh blood instead, but its none of our freaking business what private people do with their own money once it has been paid.

Whether he spent his money on charitable donations and trying to cure cancer, or booze, birds and fast cars, or just squanders it - its his to do as he pleases. And its too much because its too much and raised by threat of prison rather than voluntary subscriptions either way.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,242

Cyclefree said:

Starmer's policy is not to remove charitable status from private schools. It is to impose VAT on school fees. The reason there is no VAT at present is because under the relevant VAT legislation, provision of education by an “eligible body” (which includes a registered independent school) is an “exempt” supply for VAT purposes.

There is a separate VAT exemption for a charity or not-for-profit entity which supplies education or vocational training if it:

- Cannot and does not distribute any profit and
    - Any profit that does arise from is used solely for the continuation or improvement of such supplies.

But regardless of whether a school is a charity or not, if it charges fees it will have to charge VAT under Labour's proposed policy.

The amount Labour thinks it will raise is ca. £1.3 - 1.6 billion, which is a drop in the ocean. The education budget is the 2nd largest after health and in 2021-2022 its budget was £116 billion.

The school of which I am Chair of Trustees has been preparing for this for some time.

Regardless of what you think of the policy, it is delusional to think that the amounts raised by this will go anywhere near solving any of the problems in education. There have already been criticisms that Labour has allocated the money twice over.

If people want more money spent on education, ordinary people who do not go to independent schools will have to put their hand in their pocket. Ditto re the NHS, transport, housing and pretty much any sector you care to mention. That is going to be the big issue for Labour. People want more government spending but don't want to pay the taxes necessary for this - and at a time when taxes are already high and the cost of living is high too, how is Labour going to persuade them? It won't even abolish the triple lock, for heaven's sake, and the squeals from Labour supporters when Mrs May proposed asking rich people to use their assets to pay for their social care were quite something.

Yes it was all the squealing Labour supporters that cost Theresa May her majority. All her Conservative supporters voted Tory as normal but MI5 rubbed out their votes. Use pens not pencils, sheeple!
    I was thinking of people @BJO here and Corbyn and very many Labour MPs attacked the "dementia tax".
    Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Starmer's policy is not to remove charitable status from private schools. It is to impose VAT on school fees. The reason there is no VAT at present is because under the relevant VAT legislation, provision of education by an “eligible body” (which includes a registered independent school) is an “exempt” supply for VAT purposes.

There is a separate VAT exemption for a charity or not-for-profit entity which supplies education or vocational training if it:

- Any profit that does arise from is used solely for the continuation or improvement of such supplies.

But regardless of whether a school is a charity or not, if it charges fees it will have to charge VAT under Labour's proposed policy.

The amount Labour thinks it will raise is ca. £1.3 - 1.6 billion, which is a drop in the ocean. The education budget is the 2nd largest after health and in 2021-2022 its budget was £116 billion.

The school of which I am Chair of Trustees has been preparing for this for some time.

Regardless of what you think of the policy, it is delusional to think that the amounts raised by this will go anywhere near solving any of the problems in education. There have already been criticisms that Labour has allocated the money twice over.

If people want more money spent on education, ordinary people who do not go to independent schools will have to put their hand in their pocket. Ditto re the NHS, transport, housing and pretty much any sector you care to mention. That is going to be the big issue for Labour. People want more government spending but don't want to pay the taxes necessary for this - and at a time when taxes are already high and the cost of living is high too, how is Labour going to persuade them? It won't even abolish the triple lock, for heaven's sake, and the squeals from Labour supporters when Mrs May proposed asking rich people to use their assets to pay for their social care were quite something.

Hang on the education budget is 116 billion? How does that make sense. Not saying you are wrong but there are 11.9 million kids in the state sector. We are told the spend is 7.2k a head which is 85 billion thats a 31 billion gap unless universities are included in that budget which I am not sure they are as universities get fees
    I got it from here - https://ifs.org.uk/microsite/education-spending#:~:text=Education spending is the second,about 4.6% of national income.

Even it's a lower amount my point is that the sums raised are nowhere near enough to make any sort of difference.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,052
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

So every time some Tory MP (for instance) has it off with saome teenager, we can specially complain because it's our tax money that is paying him? Interesting doctrine of locus standi.
  • Options
    Leon is misdirecting with the public money question - this would still be as "newsworthy" if it were an ITV celebrity.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes it was all the squealing Labour supporters that cost Theresa May her majority. All her Conservative supporters voted Tory as normal but MI5 rubbed out their votes. Use pens not pencils, sheeple!
    I was thinking of people @BJO here and Corbyn and very many Labour MPs attacked the "dementia tax".
    Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Hang on the education budget is 116 billion? How does that make sense. Not saying you are wrong but there are 11.9 million kids in the state sector. We are told the spend is 7.2k a head which is 85 billion thats a 31 billion gap unless universities are included in that budget which I am not sure they are as universities get fees
    I got it from here - https://ifs.org.uk/microsite/education-spending#:~:text=Education spending is the second,about 4.6% of national income.

Even it's a lower amount my point is that the sums raised are nowhere near enough to make any sort of difference.
    Wasnt arguing the sums are too small I was merely confused at the gap.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

Paying Huw Edwards an absolute shit tonne of money is a misuse of public money. Maybe that's why he always looked so smug.

Huw Edwards paying teenagers for naked pictures is a misuse of his own money. And maybe that's why he always looked so smug.

I feel some sympathy for him. Clearly this isn't a great position for a middle aged family man to be going through, even without doing it in the public eye. But it was entirely self-inflicted by his own almost inconceivably stupid behaviour. It wasn't a sting or anything like that. The spin that this is some right-wing stitch up is preposterous.

And there's clearly a lot of people in the BBC not altogether averse to seeing him hung out to dry.
    Far more obviously an attack on the BBC timed to hit it at th etime of the pay awards news.
  • Options
    PB in one of its fits of lefty harrumphing at the plebby tabloids is always a spectacle

We have a free press in this country. They are free to publish whatever stories they want within the law. If people want to read them, they are free to do so

And if the media outlet libels someone, anyone is free to sue them into oblivion

Let the people decide
  • Options
    Leon said:

PB in one of its fits of lefty harrumphing at the plebby tabloids is always a spectacle

We have a free press in this country. They are free to publish whatever stories they want within the law. If people want to read them, they are free to do so

And if the media outlet libels someone, anyone is free to sue them into oblivion

Let the people decide

See there you are wrong, theoretically everyone is free to sue them into oblivion. In practise only the rich can. The sun can libel me all they like but I will never be in a position to see them in court
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

Far more obviously an attack on the BBC timed to hit it at th etime of the pay awards news.
    Except that it drowned out the pay awards news.

Had it been timed a week earlier so that the story had played out, then the awards were announced which brought it back up, then that would presumably have been bigger. Or if the awards were announced then a week later this happened it would presumably have been bigger too.
  • Options
  • Options

Cookie said:

Didn't he stand for Plaid Cymru?
    I have heard that the stood as a councillor in Aberystwyth on a promise to reinstate grammar schools.
    And re-establish the Anglican Church of Wales, surely?
  • Options

I'm afraid I've got to come clean. I was paid by the taxpayer, and on my stag do in Krakow I went to a lap dancing bar and looked at scantily clad women. I've also paid to fire an AK 74u in the Czech Repulic on another stag do.
    Forgive me.

you are a naughty twistedfirestopper stop misusing those public funds, apparently even though its payment for labour you did its still public funding of your misbehaviour
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

You reckon if it had been someone from ITV of a similar standing (the only example I can think of being, er, Schofield) they wouldn't have bothered? Really?

It's a story about Huw Edwards because stories about famous people behaving seedily sell newspapers.
  • Options

He has a wife and 5 children. Spare a thought for them and how they might feel about him and his activities "seeking a bit of excitement".

It's not really a matter of interest for the rest of us and if he is now ill let's hope he gets the help he needs and his family some privacy.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388
    How often does the Sun get its facts right? I wouldn't use the Sun to.wipe my bum..
  • Options
    Leon said:

Let the people decide

Lefty?

I think you'll find everyone on the libertarian right here seems to unanimously agree that what Huw Edwards does with his own money, in his own time, if its legal, is his own business and not ours.

If it was illegal it'd be news. If its not, then its Heat magazine trash.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

You reckon if it had been someone from ITV of a similar standing (the only example I can think of being, er, Schofield) they wouldn't have bothered? Really?

It's a story about Huw Edwards because stories about famous people behaving seedily sell newspapers.
    Timing. Which leads to the possible mens rea, given the known animus of the right-wing newspapers against the BBC.

It's not as if the offences happened yesterday.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Well, at least the news cycle moved on from Schofield.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

He has a wife and 5 children. Spare a thought for them and how they might feel about him and his activities "seeking a bit of excitement".

It's not really a matter of interest for the rest of us and if he is now ill let's hope he gets the help he needs and his family some privacy.
    Absolutely. And as you say, as a family they've got some tough times ahead and it's only just started.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,487
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

The government says spending on schools - as distinct from education as a whole - is £57 billion.

https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/find-statistics/school-funding-statistics

So if this policy raised £1.3 billion it would represent a roughly 2% increase in funding.

Which is not negligible but doesn't even begin to cover the funding shortfalls we have.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

Had it been timed a week earlier so that the story had played out, then the awards were announced which brought it back up, then that would presumably have been bigger. Or if the awards were announced then a week later this happened it would presumably have been bigger too.
    Doesn't mean they always get timings right. Some of the story was out of their control.

The overall timing is strongly suggestive.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Absolutely. And as you say, as a family they've got some tough times ahead and it's only just started.
    On the whole the world would be a lot better place if we all minded our own business about the private lives of others unless a crime has been committed
  • Options

I'm afraid I've got to come clean. I was paid by the taxpayer, and on my stag do in Krakow I went to a lap dancing bar and looked at scantily clad women. I've also paid to fire an AK 74u in the Czech Repulic on another stag do.
    Forgive me.

I've done things which wouldn't bear too much scrutiny.
    But nothing - and you haven't either, if your admissions are typical of the scale of immorality you achieve - on the scale of paying £35,000 for nude pictures of someone only just legal.
    It's not illegal, but you have to ask what your wife and kids would think if they knew - and if the answer is obviously negative, it's almost certainly something you shouldn't be doing. And if you're a high profile public figure, you have to be doubly careful.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

On the whole the world would be a lot better place if we all minded our own business about the private lives of others unless a crime has been committed
    Yes it would, but I am not sure that I want to live in a country where there's a ban on reporting such things.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

No it isn't

Sky

Doesn't mean they always get timings right. Some of the story was out of their control.

The overall timing is strongly suggestive.
    If I was cynical I'd suggest the story was leaked to time now by someone else on the awards list, so that the story was about Edwards rather than everyone else on the list.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,659
    edited July 2023

Forgive me.

Sort of on topic.

My father and grandfather were paid by the taxpayer, so my private education was paid for by the state.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Forgive me.

But nothing - and you haven't either, if your admissions are typical of the scale of immorality you achieve - on the scale of paying £35,000 for nude pictures of someone only just legal.
    It's not illegal, but you have to ask what your wife and kids would think if they knew - and if the answer is obviously negative, it's almost certainly something you shouldn't be doing. And if you're a high profile public figure, you have to be doubly careful.
    Should you need to be though? More careful that is. If what you are doing is not illegal then frankly it is no one elses business and we would be better off if we stopped prying
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,539
    Huw and cry?

Didn't see that one coming!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,397
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

eek said:

I find Edwards irritating to the point where don't like him, but I don't want a Caroline Flack outcome.

If he didn't break any laws the business is between him and his employer.

Sack him and send him to the Schofield wilderness if that's what is required, but the family grief is none of our concern.

I find the fact that the Sun busted him to be offensive. The Sun generated 40 years of popularity as a vile conduit for exposing images of 16-17 year old girls to grubby, raincoated perverts.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,702
    Farooq said:

Come back soon. I enjoy your sense of humour and cute observations.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes it would, but I am not sure that I want to live in a country where there's a ban on reporting such things.
    I didn't call for a ban, I just think we would be better of if even so the media went...is this legal what they did....if so well really not our business. A ban would unfortunately lead to things being covered up that shouldn't be and yes there is a line here and I don't know how to reconcile it
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,091
    Ghedebrav said:

EPG said:

Not unless Mam'zelle was a member of the Bene Gesserit, no.
  • Options
    What I don't want to see is Edwards making an apology along the "I'm sorry....error of judgement...under pressure...stress...self medicating..." lines. He's just got to own it. No excuses, just say "I've let my family down, and the BBC down. Sorry, can't help what my kink is, thats just how I am"
    No one else is to blame, he was doing what he wanted.
    I get sick of celebrities moaning and whining when they get found out. Just own it and then fade away.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,397
    Off topic

Has Johnson handed over his phone yet?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I didn't call for a ban, I just think we would be better of if even so the media went...is this legal what they did....if so well really not our business. A ban would unfortunately lead to things being covered up that shouldn't be and yes there is a line here and I don't know how to reconcile it
    The best way to have the media cease to be interested is to not be interested in it ourselves.

Just say no to salacious gossip.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,337

What I don't want to see is Edwards making an apology along the "I'm sorry....error of judgement...under pressure...stress...self medicating..." lines. He's just got to own it. No excuses, just say "I've let my family down, and the BBC down. Sorry, can't help what my kink is, thats just how I am"
    I get sick of celebrities moaning and whining when they get found out. Just own it and then fade away.

What’s he got to apologise for?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,406
    Leon said:

Let the people decide

That is all true. The question that arises is what happens to the people like your good self who wank themselves into such a frenzy that even the facts don't stop them.

Huw Edwards is not - despite The S*n clearly suggesting he is - a paedophile. Man looks at pictures of men shock. Man pays for sexy photos shock. You could argue there is a story because he's a public figure and married, but this is 2023.

Why - despite knowing the truth- did the S*n go after this well-paid BBC anchor? Do we need to draw crayon pictures? The right hates the BBC, hates dogooders, hates people who don't parrot support for that git Jenrick. What Edwards did isn't their concern - especially having been told by the so-called victim that it was a pack of lies.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,659

NEW THREAD

• Options

How often does the Sun get its facts right? I wouldn't use the Sun to.wipe my bum..
    How often does any newspaper get its facts right? The Guardian's journalists put a family member in danger.

But my point remains: if the Sun had been listened to back then, Savile might have faced justice for his crimes - and his victims better closure.

Now, imagine if his crimes continued *after* the Sun's stories were spiked...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Ghedebrav said:

EPG said:

Not unless Mam'zelle was a member of the Bene Gesserit, no.
    The fallacy in Luckyguy's argument is that he thinks that Mallory Towers and Eton aren't part of the care system.
  • Options
    To give an example if king charles likes to be sodomized by large cocks while camilla watched. It is not illegal and I think it would be a benefit to the whole world if people didn't report it and just went nah none of our business if thats what they like.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,099
    Does look as his wife and family are standing by him.
    Almost looks as though she knew.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Forgive me.

I agree, and as he's so high profile, he's got to expect greater scrutiny and face the shame of what he's putting his family through. But as far as we know, he's not Savile or Harris, no one's died.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

What’s he got to apologise for?
    He'll apologise. It's what naughty celebs do.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,881
    NEW THREAD
  • Options

The S*n quite clearly put it about that Huw Edwards was a paedophile, paying an under-age child for illegal sex photos. This was explicitly not true, and I hope that he now sues the living shit out of them.

What is the story here - that a man pays to see saucy images of another man? So if I go and pay twinky (but legal) goodness on OnlyFans for access to images, or subscribe to someone's channel having found them on PornHub, how is that any different?

The S*n printed straight lies- that the man was a child - despite them being denounced by the supposed victim. So malicious falsehood, designed specifically to destroy his image and career.

Some of our more excitable posters occasionally respond to non-libellous statement about their side which they dislike with "thats libel". It isn't. But this is.

Park your opinions about the BBC. About lefties. About married men getting secretly turned on by hot male bodies. And look what happened here. If Huw isn't completely broken by this, and can recover himself back to mental fitness, I hope he destroys them.

When he recovers he needs to be thinking about his wife and children first and foremost. Not about suing newspapers. I don't suppose any of this is nice for them.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    Evening all :)

I suspect latest developments at the BBC won't impinge too much on tomorrow's by-election in my patch of Wall End, Newham.

We've had leaflets from Labour, Conservative, LD and Reform and I've no hesitation in saying the most coherent was from the Reform candidate. The Labour leaflet was a self-congratulatory rant about how wonderful Labour has been though oddly enough the "achievements" in Wall End seem to be thin gruel.

The Conservative candidate (the obligatory Hindu business man) claims we are all so terrified of crime we'd support CCTV on every street corner while the LD leaflet was a questionnaire so that was pointless. Nothing from the Greens who are putting all their effort into Boleyn.

The Reform candidate, a local man, advocates the return of free parking permits for the first car in any house (I have to pay £60 for the privilege of parking in the road outside my front door)

He opposes low traffic neighbourhoods (there aren't any in Wall End) and wants development on brownfield rather than greenfield sites (bit of a given in Newham to be honest). As I said to Mrs Stodge "if they developed the parks, where would the drunks, druggies and doggers go?"

The Reform candidate is also the only one publicly stated as living in the Ward - the LD lives in Plashet and the other candidates simply say they live in the Borough.

None of it matters - Labour will win big on a small turnout (probably 25%). Conservatives probably second in front of Greens, LDs and Reform.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,079
    edited July 2023
    What I didn’t like about this whole episode was the attempts to suggest those involved were some tragic victims who were corrupted by some creepy older man , the Sun was desperate to paint Edwards as some pedo.

The law is the law . They were over 16 . End of ! Whether people think it’s questionable morally for an older man to pay for a 17 year old to perform on camera is irrelevant to the police . If there was a crime they would have said so .

I also found it somewhat strange that another of those who came forward was surprised that the presenter might react badly to threats of being outed to the media . Wtf did he expect !

Then we had the other person who allegedly met Edwards during covid restrictions and who was happy to do so but now is trying to play the martyr about lockdown rules .

• Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 596
    EPG said:

I have started to consider the possibility of leaving the country for the first time in my life in the last year. It’s not really the tax rate which is the problem, it’s just too low salaries and too high cost of living.

Maybe everywhere else is the same, maybe it isn’t, but maybe there’s a better life somewhere else.

Pity that I picked one of the only geographically limited (save for language) jobs for a new career :D

It is hard to find a place where the same job gets you a higher salaries and a lower cost of living. If you're a Western professional, it's true of the Gulf, because you can use the indentured servant class.
    I can highly reccomend it.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882

Just re-upping this.
    I am fucking fuming.

This entire “story” is essentially an attack by Rupert Murdoch on the BBC and it seems the entire country has been happy enough to play along.

Poor Huw.
    This is awful.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,882

Try to get to the States. Do it for a while to save up some money and then you’ll have options.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,405

Just re-upping this.
    I am fucking fuming.

This entire “story” is essentially an attack by Rupert Murdoch on the BBC and it seems the entire country has been happy enough to play along.

Poor Huw.
    This is awful.
    Ghoulish isn't it.
This discussion has been closed.