Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Meanwhile Dorries STILL hasn’t resigned – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,199
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

According to ITV News Gillian Keegan wants to accept the independent pay review's 6.5% increase recommendation for teacher's pay. Rishi Rich currently believes it to be inflationary and is minded to reject the findings.

How can a pay increase below the rate of inflation be "inflationary"?
    Surely that is deflationary?
    A more fundamental question - and one that may show my ignorance so apologies in advance and thanks to anyone for putting me right

How can any pay rise to teachers in the public sector be inflationary?

As I understand it inflation is measured against the costs of things that we, as the public, buy. Different forms of inflation inlcude different things but in the end they are all about stuff we directly pay for.

But we do not buy state education - we pay for it out of our taxes. Yes ultimately we are paying for it but it is not something that is measured by any of the normal inflation criteria that I am aware of. At worst (and it is of course bad) pay rises for teachers means more Government spending leading to more debt, higher taxes or cuts elsewhere. But it does not mean that the price of anything we are directly paying for goes up.

So how is a public sector pay increase inflationary?
    PART 1

It's a hangover from previous times. Many of the ideas in people's heads about how to run an economy (what causes inflation, how to prevent unemployment, etc) were built in the 70's and 80s. The theory goes that inflation is driven by the "money supply" - the amount of money in the economy. The theory says that the amount of goods and services in an economy changes slowly, so if the amount of money in the economy goes up quickly, inflation inevitably grows. By restricting teacher's pay, he hopes to discourage others and prevent money supply from growing and hence kill inflation

But here's the problem... 1/n
    PART 2

In the 70's and 80's the UK economy, despite the inheritance of the British Empire, was still a closed economy compared to now. In the intervening years credit has become far more available and we have become far more open and we import far more: this is globalisation. In our present moment inflation is driven by a global rise in costs: Ukraine used to be the European breadbasket, China produced cheap chips, the US finds it increasingly difficult to maintain a global order, and so on. Inflation is no longer caused by an increase in money supply, it's caused by - drum roll - goods becoming rarer.

So combatting inflation by restricting teacher's pay just doesn't work any more. And the Conservative Party just doesn't realise it... 2/n
    PART 3

The Conservative Party no longer knows how to run an economy. Truss tried full-fat Thatcherism and it blew up on the pad. All the party theoreticians spent decades talking about the EU and now focus on cultural issues. They don't have a theory. Lacking a theory they fall back on fossil ideas in their lizard brain: clamp down on the unions, talk hard. But these techniques don't work in the 2020's. So they're flailing.

The reason why Con need to take time out and a time in opposition is not just because I want them to, it's so that they can rebuild ideas. All their theoreticians are fighting culture war, but these are luxury values in deglobalisation. They need to work out how to run an economy (or more likely, observe what works with others) so that they know what to do.

Because right now, they just don't...3/n
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,512
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

According to ITV News Gillian Keegan wants to accept the independent pay review's 6.5% increase recommendation for teacher's pay. Rishi Rich currently believes it to be inflationary and is minded to reject the findings.

A more fundamental question - and one that may show my ignorance so apologies in advance and thanks to anyone for putting me right

As I understand it inflation is measured against the costs of things that we, as the public, buy. Different forms of inflation inlcude different things but in the end they are all about stuff we directly pay for.

But we do not buy state education - we pay for it out of our taxes. Yes ultimately we are paying for it but it is not something that is measured by any of the normal inflation criteria that I am aware of. At worst (and it is of course bad) pay rises for teachers means more Government spending leading to more debt, higher taxes or cuts elsewhere. But it does not mean that the price of anything we are directly paying for goes up.

PART 1

It's a hangover from previous times. Many of the ideas in people's heads about how to run an economy (what causes inflation, how to prevent unemployment, etc) were built in the 70's and 80s. The theory goes that inflation is driven by the "money supply" - the amount of money in the economy. The theory says that the amount of goods and services in an economy changes slowly, so if the amount of money in the economy goes up quickly, inflation inevitably grows. By restricting teacher's pay, he hopes to discourage others and prevent money supply from growing and hence kill inflation

PART 2

In the 70's and 80's the UK economy, despite the inheritance of the British Empire, was still a closed economy compared to now. In the intervening years credit has become far more available and we have become far more open and we import far more: this is globalisation. In our present moment inflation is driven by a global rise in costs: Ukraine used to be the European breadbasket, China produced cheap chips, the US finds it increasingly difficult to maintain a global order, and so on. Inflation is no longer caused by an increase in money supply, it's caused by - drum roll - goods becoming rarer.

So combatting inflation by restricting teacher's pay just doesn't work any more. And the Conservative Party just doesn't realise it... 2/n
    Two excellent posts. Sorry three!

Post 2 suggests that the BoE are p*ssing up a rope by increasing mortgage rates to reduce spending capacity to reduce demand and hence the money supply to combat inflation.

It's forty years since I studied economics and I am a bit rusty, but generating a recession in the short term to reduce inflation when growth and productivity would resolve the issue in the medium term seems counter-intuitive.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,712

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

Two excellent posts.

Post 2 suggests that the BoE are p*ssing up a rope by increasing mortgage rates to reduce spending capacity to reduce demand and hence the money supply, to combat inflation.

It's forty years since I studied economics and I am a bit rusty, but generating a recession in the short term to reduce inflation when growth and productivity would resolve the issue in the medium term seems counter-intuitive.
    Increasing interest rates to reduce demand is silly but there is another problem, which is the exchange rate. The Bank of England does need to keep interest rates more-or-less in line with America in order to shore up the exchange rate. A lower rate means exports become cheaper and imports more expensive, and right now it is imports that are the problem.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,157
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Heathener said:

Ms. Heathener, while those are terrible numbers aren't they also par for the course at this point? A bit "Titanic still sinking"?

Hi MD. In as objective and empirical terms as possible, what is notable is a widening of the gap in recent weeks.

🎶It's beginning to look a lot like Trussmas!🎶
    @DougSeal will be hailed as a prophet when Truss returns as Tory leader, albeit of a parliamentary party of 50.
    Complete with long beard and robes. Indeed, a Bearded Seal.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

The Conservative Party no longer knows how to run an economy. Truss tried full-fat Thatcherism and it blew up on the pad. All the party theoreticians spent decades talking about the EU and now focus on cultural issues. They don't have a theory. Lacking a theory they fall back on fossil ideas in their lizard brain: clamp down on the unions, talk hard. But these techniques don't work in the 2020's. So they're flailing.

The reason why Con need to take time out and a time in opposition is not just because I want them to, it's so that they can rebuild ideas. All their theoreticians are fighting culture war, but these are luxury values in deglobalisation. They need to work out how to run an economy (or more likely, observe what works with others) so that they know what to do.

PART 4: COMMENTARY

We are all working off ideas formed during the period known as "neoliberalism" (1979?-2019?). The world that existed during that period was increasingly globalised, a global market driving growth thru cheap goods, underpinned by a US enforcing the world order. But that world is on the downslope: US focussing on Pacific, Ukrainan wheat has gone, China isn't nice. In this dying world our ideas no longer work and politicians are flailing, retreating to populism or old ideas. We notice it because of Brexit, but it's a global thing.

Until things stabilize and politicians work out ideas that work, we will have this problem...4/n
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Teachers buy things, too.
    Also, if government is borrowing to pay public sector suffers, it is increasing the money supply in general.
    The increase in pay isn't, as you note, linked to any increase in goods or services.

The overall effect is small - but one public sector pay deal influences others.

Above inflation pay rises across the economy are the definition of wage inflation, if pay is increasing faster than the increase in gods and services. More money chasing the same amount of stuff pushes prices up.
    That doesn't mean I'm but in favour of a decent settlement fund teachers, btw.
    And definitely fully funded.
    The government's choice is either spend more money or have fewer teachers. Stuff costs what it costs.
    To use the language of the times, I think a lot in the public sector are "quiet quitting".

I notice that far more clinics in our outpatients finish by 1230, while previously they were still crowded at that time. A lot of my colleagues don't overbook urgent cases anymore, as was near universal a decade ago. It probably was just hiding capacity gaps in the past.
    Beyond a certain point, Aaron Bell's question, Does the Prime Minister think I'm a fool? becomes inescapable.

And whilst there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Rishi being a squillionaire, or having a squillionaire as Prime Minister, there is a problem with him telling other people they can't have an inflation-matching pay rise from his government.
    Having a squillionire as PM is a symptom that there's something fundamentally wrong.
    Hint: also, erm, this non-dom stuff not a million miles away ...
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,800
    RNLI accused of misogyny over response to sexual misconduct claim

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/08/rnli-accused-of-misogyny-over-response-to-sexual-misconduct-claim

staff (particularly females) are too intimidated to report abuse to their supervisors
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,512
    edited July 2023

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

Two excellent posts.

Post 2 suggests that the BoE are p*ssing up a rope by increasing mortgage rates to reduce spending capacity to reduce demand and hence the money supply, to combat inflation.

Increasing interest rates to reduce demand is silly but there is another problem, which is the exchange rate. The Bank of England does need to keep interest rates more-or-less in line with America in order to shore up the exchange rate. A lower rate means exports become cheaper and imports more expensive, and right now it is imports that are the problem.
    We also have the added bonus nugget of increasing gilt yields if we do nothing to bluntly combat inflation.

We do seem to be up an economic gum tree.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

Very true. We see that exemplified on here by that bastion of the Conservative Party, the only true Tory, HYUFD. Plenty to say on matters close to Tory members' hearts but no economic ideas whatsoever.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Farooq said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/08/rnli-accused-of-misogyny-over-response-to-sexual-misconduct-claim

staff (particularly females) are too intimidated to report abuse to their supervisors

• Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

We are all working off ideas formed during the period known as "neoliberalism" (1979?-2019?). The world that existed during that period was increasingly globalised, a global market driving growth thru cheap goods, underpinned by a US enforcing the world order. But that world is on the downslope: US focussing on Pacific, Ukrainan wheat has gone, China isn't nice. In this dying world our ideas no longer work and politicians are flailing, retreating to populism or old ideas. We notice it because of Brexit, but it's a global thing.

Until things stabilize and politicians work out ideas that work, we will have this problem...4/n
    PART 5: END

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. If you have any questions I will take them now...5/5
    Thought provoking. See my question in response to part 2
  • Options
    James_M said:

@Benpointer I am currently on the Zoe programme. I am finding it very useful. The tests showed my blood sugar control was poor and my blood fat control worse. This was subsequently backed up with some blood tests I had which showed elevated cholesterol; so that reassured me further about the Zoe programme.

It provides individualised scores on food to your biology. I find it useful and the lessons and support is decent. I am still struggling to manage my blood fats and understand why some meals work and don't work (although you can chat to support teams). But I have felt better on the scheme and lost some weight too.

It seems the most individualised system I've seen. Support can be a little slow at times, but they do score foods not in their system if you ask. Overall I am enjoying it and think gut science is increasingly key.

One thing they need to improve going forwards (which they are testing) is a follow up testing plan so users can assess progress over time.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response James, that sounds positive.

I have signed up now... but they have such demand I have been told I will not get my testing kit until October* :-(

(*Tbf that delay was made clear before I signed up.)
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785
    Most interesting aspect of Rutte government collapse in NL is WHY it collapsed. Immigration

The topic is going to haunt European politics for the foreseeable. NL was - I believe - one of the seven EU countries demanding a “Rwanda” solution
  • Options
    edited July 2023
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,695
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Also, if government is borrowing to pay public sector suffers, it is increasing the money supply in general.
    The increase in pay isn't, as you note, linked to any increase in goods or services.

Above inflation pay rises across the economy are the definition of wage inflation, if pay is increasing faster than the increase in gods and services. More money chasing the same amount of stuff pushes prices up.
    The government's choice is either spend more money or have fewer teachers. Stuff costs what it costs.
    To use the language of the times, I think a lot in the public sector are "quiet quitting".

I notice that far more clinics in our outpatients finish by 1230, while previously they were still crowded at that time. A lot of my colleagues don't overbook urgent cases anymore, as was near universal a decade ago. It probably was just hiding capacity gaps in the past.
    Beyond a certain point, Aaron Bell's question, Does the Prime Minister think I'm a fool? becomes inescapable.

And whilst there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Rishi being a squillionaire, or having a squillionaire as Prime Minister
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. If you have any questions I will take them now...5/5
    Bravo. Two questions from a provincial science teacher:

What does "work" even mean in terms of economic ideas right now? A chunk of the lamentation on the right seems to be that the recent world (cheap usable hydrocarbons, easy compound growth) has gone and probably isn't coming back.

Was Trussonomics really full-fat Thatcherism, or uncomprehending cosplay Thatcherism? Truss seemed to jump straight to the Lawson boom, overlooking the austerity and tax rises of the early 80s. Sound Money and whatnot.
  • Options

Heathener said:

Ms. Heathener, while those are terrible numbers aren't they also par for the course at this point? A bit "Titanic still sinking"?

Hi MD. In as objective and empirical terms as possible, what is notable is a widening of the gap in recent weeks.

I'm concerned that those betting on the outcome of the General Election, which is now either 10 months or 15 months away should be as factually based as possible. For reasons previously stated, I think we make a mistake in using GE2019 as a benchmark for swing. December GE2019 was a unique 'Get Brexit Done' election against an unelectable anti-semitic trotskyite. The real GE benchmark, I have argued, is the June 2017 one, which was a hung parliament.

p.s. Saw loads of Morris Dancers in Teignmouth a couple of Saturdays back. Many wearing dark outfits which was new to me.
    Is there still a summer affect in the polls?

effect (sorry)
    'summer affect' is just a mistake. Far less ugly than 'summer impact'.

• Options

I'm not sure if it's just a senior moment but Biden answered as question from the press corps about why cluster bombs are now being sent to Ukraine by saying, "They've run out of ammunition."

This thread is the long-form version of that comment:
    https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1677435161514737665
    Such a shame that we can’t view twitter any more
    Sorry, I thought they'd reversed that. Try this:
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1677435161514737665.html
    We can see individual posts, but not threads or replies.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519
    Leon said:

Five hours ago I left my fat wallet at Camden Road station. En route to Richmond to get drunk with a friend by the river

I duly arrived, bereft, and got drunk, and it was all good and fun, but on the way back home just now, I began to tot up all the hassly expensive things I would now have to do, and how much it would all cost

At Camden Road station I discovered someone had handed in my wallet. Everything inside it intact

Thankyou London and Londoners and that lovely person. This one thing has restored my faith in my city, and in humanity. It doesn't take much, but TA

Bet it was somebody who voted Remain.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Five hours ago I left my fat wallet at Camden Road station. En route to Richmond to get drunk with a friend by the river

I duly arrived, bereft, and got drunk, and it was all good and fun, but on the way back home just now, I began to tot up all the hassly expensive things I would now have to do, and how much it would all cost

At Camden Road station I discovered someone had handed in my wallet. Everything inside it intact

Thankyou London and Londoners and that lovely person. This one thing has restored my faith in my city, and in humanity. It doesn't take much, but TA

Bit gammony having a wallet these days shirley, don't people put stuff in their phone case?

This happened to me twice in London in pre-phone days, wallet handed in intact except for cash.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    Leon said:

Most interesting aspect of Rutte government collapse in NL is WHY it collapsed. Immigration

The topic is going to haunt European politics for the foreseeable. NL was - I believe - one of the seven EU countries demanding a “Rwanda” solution

Leon said:

People from what we call the Middle East and North Africa have migrated north and west for millennia. It’s how our ancestors got here, after all.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

It was an Albanian taxi driver
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    I'm not sure anyone knows how to control inflation in today's economy now, other than replaying the greatest hits from the 1990s and crossing fingers that a scorched earth policy does the trick. There's a total lack of thinking and leadership.

It's no wonder voters don't warm to that.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.
    And note the likely pay review body recommendation - 6.5% - is likely to be rejected by government, despite being below inflation.
    Teachers have says they'll accept it, IF fully funded.

The government is simply wrong on this.
    Yes I think 6.5% is a fair compromise. This is not the 35% the doctors seem to be demanding
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

I can't think of a question that's both relevant and puts me in a good light so I'll just say ... cheers, an excellent read.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Bit gammony having a wallet these days shirley, don't people put stuff in their phone case?

This happened to me twice in London in pre-phone days, wallet handed in intact except for cash.
    Happened to me in La Rochelle in the 80s. Total panic, as I was going to have to cancel all my cards and we were wondering how we could pay to get home. Went to the local police station - someone had handed it in with all the cash intact. I bloody love the French!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Probably quicker to list the organisations which don't have this problem.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

Whilst I agree that traditional Keynesian economic models struggle to explain the modern world given the vast increase in international trade and the free flow of capital I think your analysis goes too far. If, taking your example, public sector pay is restricted that does reduce domestic demand. Not by as much as it might given the free access to credit but it does. If that happens internationally traded goods and services can either get a lower price here or go elsewhere. If they go elsewhere supply is reduced with demand and the implications for price are uncertain.

In short, the policy works to a degree but there are various inefficiencies that reduce its effectiveness. If you do the opposite, however, then you have excess demand which may be met by higher prices or additional supply or both. If we consume goods and services beyond what we produce we have a trade deficit and that, over time, reduces our wealth, our standard of living and our children's futures.

What those in charge of the economy need to focus on is whether we are producing enough to satisfy our current standard of living. If not, we need to either increase output or reduce consumption. These are our choices.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,255
    Leon said:

It collapsed over a proposal put forward by Rutte to prevent asylum seekers (presumably those who were granted asylum) from then bringing their families into the country.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

But that’s even worse if you lose it. Phone AND everything else
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

:smile: - my money's on a superwoke progressive young Europhile. Aka your typical Londoner. They didn't realize the wallet belonged to a rancid old reactionary but it wouldn't have mattered one jot.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Dura_Ace said:

Heathener said:

🎶It's beginning to look a lot like Trussmas!🎶
    @DougSeal will be hailed as a prophet when Truss returns as Tory leader, albeit of a parliamentary party of 50.
    Lettuce pray it doesn't come to that.

(Truss returning, I mean - I'd be delighted to see the Tories down to 50 MPs obvs.)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

In the 70's and 80's the UK economy, despite the inheritance of the British Empire, was still a closed economy compared to now. In the intervening years credit has become far more available and we have become far more open and we import far more: this is globalisation. In our present moment inflation is driven by a global rise in costs: Ukraine used to be the European breadbasket, China produced cheap chips, the US finds it increasingly difficult to maintain a global order, and so on. Inflation is no longer caused by an increase in money supply, it's caused by - drum roll - goods becoming rarer...

That ignores the fact that it's caused by BOTH those things. An increased money supply still increases inflation - which is more ur less what the BoE is in about when refers to 'core inflation', which persists as commodity prices have come down.

It's not either or.

And has globalisation ended ? China's trade with the US, for example, is currently higher than it has ever been.

• Options
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

But you are monitoring it the whole time. I have to check about every 90 seconds for evidence of people being wrong on the internet.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

:smile: - my money's on a superwoke progressive young Europhile. Aka your typical Londoner. They didn't realize the wallet belonged to a rancid old reactionary but it wouldn't have mattered one jot.
    Or maybe a right wing travel writer-cum-novelist with a proclivity for progressive young women the age of his daughter. I understand that there are quite a lot of them in London.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,552

I'm not sure anyone knows how to control inflation in today's economy now, other than replaying the greatest hits from the 1990s and crossing fingers that a scorched earth policy does the trick. There's a total lack of thinking and leadership.

It is a mistake to think of inflation as a single thing. A price shock, such as happened to food prices when the Russian barbarians invaded Ukraine, creates inflation but the response to it has to be different because international prices are not affected by demand from the UK. If we cut our own demand we simply get less food. An internal labour shortage, however, can be moderated by reducing domestic demand which will reduce upward pressure on wages as the competition for labour becomes less intense. Much of our current inflation is in the first category and our responses have to acknowledge that.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    Cyclefree said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Probably quicker to list the organisations which don't have this problem.
    Having run a small organisation in the 70s, and having been involved with all sorts of public activities, I look back on some of the decisions I made, some of the questions I asked, with a certain degree of horror. I certainly wouldn’t ask them today, and I certainly wouldn’t have made some of the decisions that I then made in today’s climate.
    Given all that, I was always regarded as reasonably progressive, and sometimes foolishly so!
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

It collapsed over a proposal put forward by Rutte to prevent asylum seekers (presumably those who were granted asylum) from then bringing their families into the country.
    A perfectly reasonable proposal by Rutte

If you are lucky enough to be given asylum, the host country is not then obliged to allow your wife, kids, granny, and third cousins to join you

And if a country does do that, it is inviting every economic migrant in the world to try asylum seeking instead, as a brilliant route to chain migration for extended families

The asylum system is dead in the water. We have to harden our hearts and accept we 1. Can’t take everyone or 2. If we take everyone, the UK’s population will balloon to 100m and we will become majority black/Muslim very quickly

Let the voters decide
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,209
    edited July 2023

They never did back in the 90s, either.
    Interest rates are a very blunt policy tool, but pretty well the only one where government has sufficient room for manoeuvre.

Rapid rises to combat inflation are an admission they fucked up, but at this point they're also necessary, in all likelihood.

Good policy, like bad, takes decades to play out. What any one administration can do is limited.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,685

You supported the current lack of leadership.

This inflation is being lead by shortage in the supply of energy and food, fundamentally. Those shortages were being addressed by the Truss administration; Sunak's seems to actively embrace such shortages and demand a recession to stop the proles being able to put their heating on and buy so much food.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is a mistake to think of inflation as a single thing. A price shock, such as happened to food prices when the Russian barbarians invaded Ukraine, creates inflation but the response to it has to be different because international prices are not affected by demand from the UK. If we cut our own demand we simply get less food. An internal labour shortage, however, can be moderated by reducing domestic demand which will reduce upward pressure on wages as the competition for labour becomes less intense. Much of our current inflation is in the first category and our responses have to acknowledge that.
    I'm not sure our Lords and Masters share your intelligence, David.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

But you are monitoring it the whole time. I have to check about every 90 seconds for evidence of people being wrong on the internet.
    lol true. But losing your phone is nonetheless quite traumatic. I had mine snatched a few months ago. Not nice

Tho I did admire the skill with which this Remainery young kid sailed his e-bike past me and plucked the phone from my hand with nary a wobble, and sped away. I could see the phone on my map as it disappeared into Belsize Park. @kinabalu-land. Woke Central
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.
    And note the likely pay review body recommendation - 6.5% - is likely to be rejected by government, despite being below inflation.

Yes I think 6.5% is a fair compromise. This is not the 35% the doctors seem to be demanding
    6.5% is pretty much the pay rise the rentier class has been awarded, being the interest you can now get on a 1 year deposit
  • Options
    Thunder rumbling around here. Backs up windy which looks similar for Headingley. Can't see too much play today at the cricket
  • Options
    "This country isn't racist"
    vs
    "I'm desperately afraid of being outnumbered by Black people"

These two views can, apparently, coexist in one mind.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thunder rumbling around here. Backs up windy which looks similar for Headingley. Can't see too much play today at the cricket

https://www.netweather.tv/live-weather/radar

Lorra rain marching northwards.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241
    Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Only fannies put stuff in their phone case, mainly because they have little to put in. How would a real person like Leon get his huge wad and stack of cards into a stupid phone case. Grow up.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

vs

That really depends on your definition of racism. There are many people across the world who would not describe themselves as racist, yet would be uncomfortable with the idea of becoming a minority culture or race within their own country.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

These clowns are not too bright.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,872
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

In the 70's and 80's the UK economy, despite the inheritance of the British Empire, was still a closed economy compared to now. In the intervening years credit has become far more available and we have become far more open and we import far more: this is globalisation. In our present moment inflation is driven by a global rise in costs: Ukraine used to be the European breadbasket, China produced cheap chips, the US finds it increasingly difficult to maintain a global order, and so on. Inflation is no longer caused by an increase in money supply, it's caused by - drum roll - goods becoming rarer...

That ignores the fact that it's caused by BOTH those things. An increased money supply still increases inflation - which is more ur less what the BoE is in about when refers to 'core inflation', which persists as commodity prices have come down.

It's not either or.

And has globalisation ended ? China's trade with the US, for example, is currently higher than it has ever been.

Yup - pay rises are inflationary. Doesn’t mean that pay rises are good or bad. Just that they are inflationary.

What has changed in globalisation is that the instant, easy win of “post the factory to China. Hire a design team in Latvia, we’ll keep the boardroom in London” is no longer there.

COVID had broken some things at the low end of labour market as well. From the point of view of the employers.

For governments - the endless fall in the prices of low and mid range consumer goods are gone. As is the phenomenon of endless cheap labour in delivery etc. which means a big chunk of the deflationary component of the basket of prices has disappeared. Inflation was always there - but masked by deflation of other components.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

PART 1

PART 2

It's not either or.

High-water mark, the tide's turned imho.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,872

Farooq said:

vs

That really depends on your definition of racism. There are many people across the world who would not describe themselves as racist, yet would be uncomfortable with the idea of becoming a minority culture or race within their own country.
    I wonder what the Tibetans think about this.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,932

DavidL said:

Yes but what @DavidL seems to be suggesting is economic and physical contraction. We eat less to reduce our demand on imported food and we do less to reduce domestic demand.

Yet when South Cambridgeshire Council runs a 4-day week, that silly old fool Gove stamps on it with some ludicrous argument about how if the Council Tax payers are working five days a week (many of them don't I'd argue), the Council staff have to.

As for eating less, I know that's an undercurrent meme on this site - the country's full of fat people and we get the occasional numpty boasting about they've run 10 miles or cycled 100 miles - but there are solutions about using agricultural land better which could create more food - albeit more of the turnipy type favoured by one Government Minister and as Coffey found out, trying to sell a 1920s diet in the 2020s isn't going to be welcome.

How do you "moderate domestic demand"? How would British companies react? You could substantially increase taxes - perhaps 15p on high rate - that would slow the economy down. The problem with interest rates is they arne't the powerful mechanism they were back when most of us were mortgagees. Many home owners now live mortgage free so are delighted when rates go up as their savings do better, they have more money to spend - oh wait.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Only fannies put stuff in their phone case, mainly because they have little to put in. How would a real person like Leon get his huge wad and stack of cards into a stupid phone case. Grow up.
    The card is on the phone, and I carry one £5 and one £10 in case I am in a good mood and see an indigent like you begging by the roadside.
  • Options
    An interesting parliamentary exchange between John Redwood and a certain sword-bearer:

John Redwood (Wokingham) (Con):
    It would be better to get inflation down by expanding supply, rather than hitting mortgage holders again to get them to spend less. Can we have an urgent statement, before the summer recess, from the Government on measures to expand our domestic output of food, oil and gas, and industrial products with suitable incentives and facilitations?

Penny Mordaunt, Leader of the House:
    I thank my right hon. Friend for that very helpful suggestion. He will know that, as Treasury questions are not until after the summer recess, he will have no opportunity to raise it there, so I will make sure that the Chancellor has heard his suggestion. I know that that will be welcomed by many Members across the House.

Penny on manoeuvres?

• Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Miklosvar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.

6.5% is pretty much the pay rise the rentier class has been awarded, being the interest you can now get on a 1 year deposit
    Meanwhile, junior doctors in Scotland have been offered 14.5%, plus inflation plus for the next three years. Difficult to see English doctors accepting less.
  • Options

Farooq said:

vs

Quite. Or American Indians for that matter.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The card is on the phone, and I carry one £5 and one £10 in case I am in a good mood and see an indigent like you begging by the roadside.
    LOL, jog on sunshine I could buy and sell lowlifes like you.
  • Options

This inflation is being lead by shortage in the supply of energy and food, fundamentally. Those shortages were being addressed by the Truss administration; Sunak's seems to actively embrace such shortages and demand a recession to stop the proles being able to put their heating on and buy so much food.
    You're a nutcase on Truss.
  • Options
    stodge said:

DavidL said:

Yes but what @DavidL seems to be suggesting is economic and physical contraction. We eat less to reduce our demand on imported food and we do less to reduce domestic demand.

Yet when South Cambridgeshire Council runs a 4-day week, that silly old fool Gove stamps on it with some ludicrous argument about how if the Council Tax payers are working five days a week (many of them don't I'd argue), the Council staff have to.

As for eating less, I know that's an undercurrent meme on this site - the country's full of fat people and we get the occasional numpty boasting about they've run 10 miles or cycled 100 miles - but there are solutions about using agricultural land better which could create more food - albeit more of the turnipy type favoured by one Government Minister and as Coffey found out, trying to sell a 1920s diet in the 2020s isn't going to be welcome.

How do you "moderate domestic demand"? How would British companies react? You could substantially increase taxes - perhaps 15p on high rate - that would slow the economy down. The problem with interest rates is they arne't the powerful mechanism they were back when most of us were mortgagees. Many home owners now live mortgage free so are delighted when rates go up as their savings do better, they have more money to spend - oh wait.
    What does the panel make of this theory?

But my sour contention is that there are real, important economic goods that we do need more of – and the crud-production described above is in no useful sense fungible with that.

https://freethinkecon.wordpress.com/2023/05/27/the-crud-economy-and-the-rationale-for-industrial-strategy

Podcast conversation with Giles Wilkes here: https://megaphone.link/PMO8720123054
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    edited July 2023
    Farooq said:

vs

I don't mind what ethnic background or colour people are, or their individual religion but I would not want to live in a country with a majority fundamentalist religion. I don't think of that as racist but in favour of pluralism.

FWIW I don't think it at all likely to happen in the UK before the AI takes over and doesn't care about any of this stuff.....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited July 2023

FPT

dixiedean said:

My objection is more basic.

The purpose of pay is to hire and retain the people you need to do the job. It has bugger all to do with inflation.

There are two big reasons for inflation:

(a) the external shocks caused by Covid and the Ukraine War.

(b) the government showered the economy with money during the pandemic. They weren’t wrong to do so, but there’s a price to be paid.

But inflation will fall sharply in coming months, and pay rises will outpace it. That is good news, not bad.
  • Options

I acknowledge her failings but considered her overall mission to be vital. Sunak has utterly wasted everyone's time as was clear from the outset.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interest rates are a very blunt policy tool, but pretty well the only one where government has sufficient room for manoeuvre.

Rapid rises to combat inflation are an admission they fucked up, but at this point they're also necessary, in all likelihood.

Good policy, like bad, takes decades to play out. What any one administration can do is limited.
    It worked in the 1990s because more housing stock was mortgaged, ownership was higher, the vast majority were on variable rates (so interest rate rises took effect immediately) and our economy was less globalised. It's easy to forget just how much more global (and less Western) our economy has become in the last 30 years.

My frustration is the lack of quality, intellect and integrity at the top of government and our institutions who are prepared to do fresh thinking.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

The purpose of pay is to hire and retain the people you need to do the job. It has bugger all to do with inflation.

(b) the government showered the economy with money during the pandemic. They weren’t wrong to do so, but there’s a price to be paid.

But inflation will fall sharply in coming months, and pay rises will outpace it. That is good news, not bad.
    Good for the ones getting the big pay rises , not so for the other poor sods.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,059
    edited July 2023

Farooq said:

vs

That it's negative karma ripening?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

You get the £10 if you are busking on the bagpipes, and/or have a fetching doggie on a piece of string. Just so you know.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

VVD and D66 are a bad fit, despite both being Liberals.
  • Options
    John Goodenough, who has died aged 100, was a materials scientist who became the oldest winner of a Nobel Prize at 97, when he won a third of the £740,000 2019 Prize in Chemistry for his contribution to the development of the lithium-ion battery.

The rechargeable battery has helped to fuel the global revolution in portable electronics, transforming technology with power for devices ranging from cellphones, computers and pacemakers to electric cars – and its development, much of which took place at Oxford University, should have been a British success story.

Instead, like computers, the internet and civil nuclear power, it became an example of the country’s failure to commercialise its scientific innovations. British companies remain bit players in a global lithium battery industry dominated by Japan, South Korea and China.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/07/06/john-goodenough-nobel-lithium-battery-cellphones-obituary/ (£££)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.

Teachers should have rejected the 6.5% - that's roughly a 5% real terms pay cut. They have been beyond reasonable in agreeing to a pay cut, and are getting taken for a ride as a result.

It is interesting as a follow-up to @Richard_Tyndall 's question earlier that many have argued the Triple Lock and associated rises should be kept as they're supposedly 'not inflationary' as there's no business seeing its cost increase to pay for pension increases, so won't pass on the higher wages, so won't feed an inflationary spiral. As Mr Tyndall implies, that's the case for teachers too, but a 5% real terms pay cut is supposedly "inflationary" according to Rishi Rich? Its nonsense.

Of course any money the government pays out can boost money supply circulation, so can be theoretically inflationary, but that applies to the triple lock and benefits and everything else they're doing too equally.

Those who are working for a living should be at least as well off as those who are not, that should be a reasonable Conservative principle - and that should apply to teachers etc too.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

You get the £10 if you are busking on the bagpipes, and/or have a fetching doggie on a piece of string. Just so you know.
    You are a real wit , well half at least.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Good for the ones getting the big pay rises , not so for the other poor sods.
    Workers, pensioners and depositors form a large majority of the population.
  • Options

stodge said:

DavidL said:

But my sour contention is that there are real, important economic goods that we do need more of – and the crud-production described above is in no useful sense fungible with that.

https://freethinkecon.wordpress.com/2023/05/27/the-crud-economy-and-the-rationale-for-industrial-strategy

Podcast conversation with Giles Wilkes here: https://megaphone.link/PMO8720123054
    He objects to the fact that modern life is complicated. All his points have the same flaw, but the most obvious is (example of undesirable crud) "Straightforward crime and the anti-crime measures. Constantly upgraded IT systems to fight cyber attacks are the most obvious example." Yes, this is bad, but how does he propose to stop it? Abolish crime by statute, persuade all the criminals to give it up voluntarily, desist from countermeasures and let the criminals win, or carry on roughly as we are?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cyclefree said:

Leon said:

A perfectly reasonable proposal by Rutte

If you are lucky enough to be given asylum, the host country is not then obliged to allow your wife, kids, granny, and third cousins to join you

And if a country does do that, it is inviting every economic migrant in the world to try asylum seeking instead, as a brilliant route to chain migration for extended families

The asylum system is dead in the water. We have to harden our hearts and accept we 1. Can’t take everyone or 2. If we take everyone, the UK’s population will balloon to 100m and we will become majority black/Muslim very quickly

Let the voters decide
    Labour will almost certainly open up immigration and asylum rules upon taking office.

Alongside their desire to socially engineer, regulate, hector and nanny us, nationalise industry to placate their union client base, and up debt and tax, it creates a heck of an opportunity for a rapid Conservative comeback.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

It worked in the 1990s because more housing stock was mortgaged, ownership was higher, the vast majority were on variable rates (so interest rate rises took effect immediately) and our economy was less globalised. It's easy to forget just how much more global (and less Western) our economy has become in the last 30 years.

My frustration is the lack of quality, intellect and integrity at the top of government and our institutions who are prepared to do fresh thinking.
    Big cuts in standards of living for thee but not for me, seems to be the orthodoxy among central bankers.
  • Options

Farooq said:

vs

I don't mind what ethnic background or colour people are, or their individual religion but I would not want to live in a country with a majority fundamentalist religion. I don't think of that as racist but in favour of pluralism.

FWIW I don't think it at all likely to happen in the UK before the AI takes over and doesn't care about any of this stuff.....
    Andrew Neil recently suggested the difference between Britain and Europe is their immigration tends to be uniformly from one region, whereas ours is from everywhere. Whether there's anything in that, especially beyond France, I'm not sure. Germany is quite diverse, at least in my experience of working for multinational and global megacorps.
  • Options

stodge said:

DavidL said:

Agree completely. Not all economic activity is valued fairly or equally useful - and I say that as someone whose career has mostly been in industries with no or little net benefit for society yet I've been relatively well paid, certainly in relation to many key workers.

The free market economy is best when it is not 100% free but directed, not a lot, but "a bit". It is just that finding the correct level and content of "a bit" is hard. Doesn't mean governments shouldn't try though.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Big cuts in standards of living for thee but not for me, seems to be the orthodoxy among central bankers.
    It's analogous to their attitudes on climate change, where it's perfectly acceptable for them to jet around the world- and go on exotic holidays- because they're important, but not the average Joe.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.

Teachers should have rejected the 6.5% - that's roughly a 5% real terms pay cut. They have been beyond reasonable in agreeing to a pay cut, and are getting taken for a ride as a result.

It is interesting as a follow-up to @Richard_Tyndall 's question earlier that many have argued the Triple Lock and associated rises should be kept as they're supposedly 'not inflationary' as there's no business seeing its cost increase to pay for pension increases, so won't pass on the higher wages, so won't feed an inflationary spiral. As Mr Tyndall implies, that's the case for teachers too, but a 5% real terms pay cut is supposedly "inflationary" according to Rishi Rich? Its nonsense.

Of course any money the government pays out can boost money supply circulation, so can be theoretically inflationary, but that applies to the triple lock and benefits and everything else they're doing too equally.

Those who are working for a living should be at least as well off as those who are not, that should be a reasonable Conservative principle - and that should apply to teachers etc too.
    6.5% going forward should be a real pay increase. And, the government ought to honour it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,071
    Pulpstar said:

Silverstone doesn’t know whether to be wet or dry. It just went from wet, to dry, to wet, and to dry again, in the space of an 18-lap Fromula 3 race. Somewhat chaotic!
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096
    Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The wallet struck me as anachronistic. Was he riding round on a velocipede when it fell out of the pocket of his frock coat?

Why the fuck do you need anything but a phone? It's got multiple cards in it and copies of all the documents/ID I'll ever need.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

"People need to accept that we are poorer".

"By we, I of course mean you".
    “Some of you are going to die.

That is a sacrifice I am prepared to make.”
  • Options

I acknowledge her failings but considered her overall mission to be vital. Sunak has utterly wasted everyone's time as was clear from the outset.
    Truss was just applying dogma, not intellect. It's one I'd dearly have loved to be true, because I liked the tax policies, but it's fingers in the ears approach to the real world was neither clever nor responsible.

Sunak is clever and works hard, and I think gets some good results, but I don't think his core political skills are sharp enough and he hasn't thought creatively enough on this one and isn't leading from the front

Fixing things one by one behind the scenes isn't enough.
  • Options

An interesting parliamentary exchange between John Redwood and a certain sword-bearer:

John Redwood (Wokingham) (Con):
    It would be better to get inflation down by expanding supply, rather than hitting mortgage holders again to get them to spend less. Can we have an urgent statement, before the summer recess, from the Government on measures to expand our domestic output of food, oil and gas, and industrial products with suitable incentives and facilitations?

Penny Mordaunt, Leader of the House:
    I thank my right hon. Friend for that very helpful suggestion. He will know that, as Treasury questions are not until after the summer recess, he will have no opportunity to raise it there, so I will make sure that the Chancellor has heard his suggestion. I know that that will be welcomed by many Members across the House.

Penny on manoeuvres?

Not really, or at least, not here. It is her job as Leader of the House. Redwood requests a debate and LoH Mordaunt says she'll pass it on. As an aside, PMQs used to be similar in that the Prime Minister would divert questions to the relevant departments, until Mrs Thatcher decided she needed to run everything from Number 10.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    edited July 2023
    Sean_F said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.

6.5% going forward should be a real pay increase. And, the government ought to honour it.
    6.5% won't make up for the inflation that has happened, so will be a real pay cut. Even if inflation is sub-6.5% going forwards, real-terms pay will still be lower than it was, which is why we look back at inflation and prior inflation is taken into account with uplifts normally.

Yes it should be honoured, but its less than it should have been and shows remarkable restraint from teachers to have been willing to accept so much less than inflation, at a time so much more was being offered to others.

Not to forget of course that even if pay had been uplifted all the way by inflation, then the freezing of tax allowances means take home pay would have gone down in real terms still anyway.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The wallet struck me as anachronistic. Was he riding round on a velocipede when it fell out of the pocket of his frock coat?

Why the fuck do you need anything but a phone? It's got multiple cards in it and copies of all the documents/ID I'll ever need.
    I find functioning without a phone liberating.

I don't want to be compelled to spend my whole life craning my neck at a tiny screen that I have to continually tap at and charge.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Miklosvar said:

malcolmg said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I find functioning without a phone liberating.

I don't want to be compelled to spend my whole life craning my neck at a tiny screen that I have to continually tap at and charge.
    I find functioning with a phone liberating.

I don't look at the screen except for when I need to. And I never carry my wallet with me anymore, I keep my wallet safe and secure at home and only take it out if I have a special reason I think I might need it, like my passport.
  • Options

Farooq said:

vs

Andrew Neil recently suggested the difference between Britain and Europe is their immigration tends to be uniformly from one region, whereas ours is from everywhere. Whether there's anything in that, especially beyond France, I'm not sure. Germany is quite diverse, at least in my experience of working for multinational and global megacorps.
    I keep being astonished that France have managed to hold onto French Guiana in South America.

It's a proper colony but they've got away with it by folding it into metropolitan France.

One wonders why on earth we didn't do the same, for example, Malta.
  • Options

Truss was just applying dogma, not intellect. It's one I'd dearly have loved to be true, because I liked the tax policies, but it's fingers in the ears approach to the real world was neither clever nor responsible.

Sunak is clever and works hard, and I think gets some good results, but I don't think his core political skills are sharp enough and he hasn't thought creatively enough on this one and isn't leading from the front

Truss screwed up but was at least asking the right questions. And while her budget collapsed, she did try to course-correct in replace Kwasi with Hunt though by then it was too little, too late.

I am not sure where this notion that Sunak is clever and gets good results comes from.

He's sticking rigidly to dogmas that are not suitable for today, any more than Truss. The problem is that his dogmas are less explosive, but that doesn't mean they're any less flawed.

Those of us who are working and have decades of career still left ahead of us are really getting screwed over by Rishi's failed dogmas.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited July 2023

Farooq said:

vs

I am not sure I agree with Neil's point, but I believe Germany immigration was until very recently overwhelmingly Eastern Europe particularly a large Turkish population. More recently obviously they took a large number of Syrians. But I don't believe they have ever really had substantial immigrant populations from places like South Asian, Caribbean or Chinese, or even former African colonies.

Here in the UK, we definitely have the large Eastern European immigrant population plus all of those listed previously and dating back 50+ years with likes of the Windrush generation.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,012
    franklyn said:

Miklosvar said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

dixiedean said:

Quite.

Meanwhile, junior doctors in Scotland have been offered 14.5%, plus inflation plus for the next three years. Difficult to see English doctors accepting less.
    Not quite, this is the deal that the BMA is putting to its Scottish members, and calling off the strike there:

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Silverstone doesn’t know whether to be wet or dry. It just went from wet, to dry, to wet, and to dry again, in the space of an 18-lap Fromula 3 race. Somewhat chaotic!
    Prost and Piquet racing on the F1 channel at the moment sponsors include Marlboro and Campari. No spoilers please 😅
  • Options

Truss screwed up but was at least asking the right questions. And while her budget collapsed, she did try to course-correct in replace Kwasi with Hunt though by then it was too little, too late.

I am not sure where this notion that Sunak is clever and gets good results comes from.

He's sticking rigidly to dogmas that are not suitable for today, any more than Truss. The problem is that his dogmas are less explosive, but that doesn't mean they're any less flawed.

Those of us who are working and have decades of career still left ahead of us are really getting screwed over by Rishi's failed dogmas.
    Truss fans seem to give her a load of credit for understanding that the UK is in a state of managed decline.

Nearly everyone agrees there is managed decline, the differences are on how we deal with that. No credit for "asking the right questions" or "understanding the problems the UK faces".
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096

It's difficult to tell how old JR is because he looks like a Cyberman constructed from Pek luncheon meat. I looked it up and the prick is 72! We could have to put up with his prolix Nacht und Nebel decrees for another 10 years.
  • Options

Is it dogma, or just deeply cynical politics?

Sunak's desperation to cut the basic rate of income tax is palpable. Whether that's because he thinks that "RISHI TELLS BRITAIN: 2p OFF" headlines will stop Britain telling him much the same, or whether he just wants to salt the ground for the next government, I don't know or particularly care. But he, and the rest of the Conservative party, want a tax cut, even if it leaves people paying more tax.

The numbers don't really add up for that now. They certainly won't add up if he has to pay public sector workers more. And the cads don't even vote for him, so who gives a stuff what they think?
  • Options

Farooq said:

vs

I keep being astonished that France have managed to hold onto French Guiana in South America.

It's a proper colony but they've got away with it by folding it into metropolitan France.

One wonders why on earth we didn't do the same, for example, Malta.
    Trucial States would have made our finances look slightly different!
  • Options
    Puncture for Mansell in the ferrari
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

lol true. But losing your phone is nonetheless quite traumatic. I had mine snatched a few months ago. Not nice

Tho I did admire the skill with which this Remainery young kid sailed his e-bike past me and plucked the phone from my hand with nary a wobble, and sped away. I could see the phone on my map as it disappeared into Belsize Park. @kinabalu-land. Woke Central
    Presumably you were able to track it on your other phone.
  • Options

Truss fans seem to give her a load of credit for understanding that the UK is in a state of managed decline.

Nearly everyone agrees there is managed decline, the differences are on how we deal with that. No credit for "asking the right questions" or "understanding the problems the UK faces".
    How has Rishi attempted to deal with that?

Over the last few years his big ideas seem to be.

1. To increase National Insurance, a tax only paid by those who work for a living.
    2. To massively increase Income Tax and National Insurance via fiscal drag, lifting more into higher rates of tax.
    3. To increase Corporation Tax
    4. To put the burden of dealing with inflation almost solely on those paying mortgages and those who are working.
    5. All while increasing welfare by inflation to shield those on welfare from the charges.

How does any of that arrest a manage in decline? How is it even trying to?

And if a Labour Chancellor had done all that, then @Casino_Royale would quite deservedly be screaming blue murder at it, not saying its getting good results.
This discussion has been closed.