Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

July 20th – the worst by-election day for the Tories ever? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,759
    nico679 said:

Robert Jendrick is a heartless cxxt .

Just how fucking soulless can you be to order the painting over a mural for children.

No. It’s far more complicated than that.

Foxy painted that mural himself, as his contribution to smashing the evil trafficking gangs.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,239
    edited July 2023

HYUFD said:

I think this straight down line is out of date now

At least half of recent polls show Tory’s on up compared to recent from pollster

Indeed the pollingreport seats has Tory’s on the rise again.

Why does polling report still have 44 SNP?

Rishi now getting more seats than Major 1997 and Hague 2001.

So much for the Tories heading for their worst defeat of all time!
    Don't worry. The full dire extent will sink in after a few weeks of the tedious leadership of Keir Starmer. If the Tories do lose the next GE, they won't have lost to Harold Wilson, Tony Blair, or even Clement Atlee.

They'll have lost to Keir Starmer. That will hurt.
    That's Sir Keir 'Hammer of the Tories, Vanquisher of the Corbynites' Starmer, thank you very much.

Edit: I jest, because to me he's just 'ok', but maybe those people putting him forward as a potential leader weeks after being elected in 2015 were right all along!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,056
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s amazing how many people had no problem admitting that Elon Musk is seriously smart - until he revealed that he is quite right wing. At which point he miraculously morphed into a stuttering moron who just keeps getting lucky

Musk strikes me as one of those super smart people who is also a bit dumb in certain respects, certainly in his dealings with people. Spending time in academia and then finance I have come across many people who fall into this category, Musk just seems one of the more extreme examples.
    He’s likes to think he's autistic and he’s confessed this. That’s the issue
    FTFY
    I know a fair few actually-diagnosed high functioning autistic people. Musk ticks all the boxes. Newton and Einstein were, it is thought, high functioning autistics

I also wonder about Gerard Manley Hopkins. Tremendous intelligent and an incredible focused talent. Genius. Yet apparently hopelessly awkward in society and prone to saying weird things and making terrible faux pas
    Firstly, thank you for a politer answer than my sarky response deserved.

Secondly, we are never going to agree on this. I am perfectly willing to believe in the existence of autism, but the medical paradigm should be limited to those who are significantly (life-changing) affected by it. Widening the definition to people who can cope well in normal life but just feel a bit off isn't a good idea:

For the medical paradigm to be useful it must meet certain criteria (can you diagnose it, can you measure the difference between the sick and the well, is the phenomenon a problem, and so on). What you refer to as high-functioning autisistic spectrum disorder doesn't really meet these criteria on a least one basic criteria (does the patient want to be cured) and more fittingly should be categorised as within normal (Gaussian, not acceptable) human variation.

I do however note your later (and previous) insistence that as you have a friend who feels better by identifying as an Aspie, then it is legitimate. God forbid I should ever disagree with the fads and fancies of the rich, but having an identity that makes you feel better is not the same as a disease and shouldn't be treated as such
    Autism is very much not a disease. It's intrinsic to one's very consciousness if present. Elon is quite clearly on the spectrum. That I felt was clear when I watched one of his presentations years back.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,107
    Fundamentally.
    Asperger's meant an intelligent* austistic person.
    That's why it was removed.

*Intelligent having many definitions.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,281
    Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s amazing how many people had no problem admitting that Elon Musk is seriously smart - until he revealed that he is quite right wing. At which point he miraculously morphed into a stuttering moron who just keeps getting lucky

Musk strikes me as one of those super smart people who is also a bit dumb in certain respects, certainly in his dealings with people. Spending time in academia and then finance I have come across many people who fall into this category, Musk just seems one of the more extreme examples.
    FTFY
    Do one, actually. Autism is hard enough to deal with without creepy insinuations that it's a lifestyle choice. And is there anything more pathetic than that ftfy thing?
    If autism is not a lifestyle choice then the diagnosis should not be widened to include people who wish to adopt it just to feel validated. Which was the point I was making.
    How do you know that is what Musk is doing?
    Because a man capable of forming relationships, fathering children and parenting them, forming companies, suborning existing ones, employing people and carrying on thru the day and his life does not have a problem that is tractable in medical terms. I'd believe him if he said he was socially awkward and says strange things. My issue arises when that condition is defined as an illness, because illnesses don't work like that. I'm not saying he hasn't got "it", I'm saying that "it" is not an illness.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,995
    dixiedean said:

Fundamentally.

And quite a few "Aspies" have reclaimed it, and use it for themselves, and you have no right to deny that
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    I know a fair few actually-diagnosed high functioning autistic people. Musk ticks all the boxes. Newton and Einstein were, it is thought, high functioning autistics

I also wonder about Gerard Manley Hopkins. Tremendous intelligent and an incredible focused talent. Genius. Yet apparently hopelessly awkward in society and prone to saying weird things and making terrible faux pas
    Firstly, thank you for a politer answer than my sarky response deserved.

Secondly, we are never going to agree on this. I am perfectly willing to believe in the existence of autism, but the medical paradigm should be limited to those who are significantly (life-changing) affected by it. Widening the definition to people who can cope well in normal life but just feel a bit off isn't a good idea:

For the medical paradigm to be useful it must meet certain criteria (can you diagnose it, can you measure the difference between the sick and the well, is the phenomenon a problem, and so on). What you refer to as high-functioning autisistic spectrum disorder doesn't really meet these criteria on a least one basic criteria (does the patient want to be cured) and more fittingly should be categorised as within normal (Gaussian, not acceptable) human variation.

I do however note your later (and previous) insistence that as you have a friend who feels better by identifying as an Aspie, then it is legitimate. God forbid I should ever disagree with the fads and fancies of the rich, but having an identity that makes you feel better is not the same as a disease and shouldn't be treated as such
    Autism is very much not a disease. It's intrinsic to one's very consciousness if present. Elon is quite clearly on the spectrum. That I felt was clear when I watched one of his presentations years back.
    Quite so. If you watch Musk's first 2 hour podcast with Rogan, it says I AM AUTISTIC from minute 1
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,777
    viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Do one, actually. Autism is hard enough to deal with without creepy insinuations that it's a lifestyle choice. And is there anything more pathetic than that ftfy thing?
    If autism is not a lifestyle choice then the diagnosis should not be widened to include people who wish to adopt it just to feel validated. Which was the point I was making.
    Because a man capable of forming relationships, fathering children and parenting them, forming companies, suborning existing ones, employing people and carrying on thru the day and his life does not have a problem that is tractable in medical terms. I'd believe him if he said he was socially awkward and says strange things. My issue arises when that condition is defined as an illness, because illnesses don't work like that. I'm not saying he hasn't got "it", I'm saying that "it" is not an illness.
    I don't think illness is the only paradigm through which you can view medically diagnosable states.

That's why it's called Autistic Spectrum Disorder and not Autistic Spectrum Disease.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Fundamentally.

And quite a few "Aspies" have reclaimed it, and use it for themselves, and you have no right to deny that
    I can think of a great many things where that is the case, yet people argue about it all the time.

As with any self label isn't the key thing about whether other people should be obliged to act in a certain way in reaction to a self labelling, beyond mere polite acceptance of that self label? Or, indeed, are people required to even accept someone else's label, particularly if it would cause confusion with something that is formally diagnosed?
  • Options
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Fundamentally.

You have made this point before today, I believe: can you remember when?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Fundamentally.

Are you drunk?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Absolutely right. It’s not fun and it’s something people admit easily and Musk has - as I correctly surmised - publicly discussed his autism. I salute him for that alone

Asperger's isn't even a term used these days.
    So that's profoundly unhelpful.
    Fuck me. So in leftieland he's not allowed to self identfy as Asperger's? tho it's OK for people with cocks to self identify as "women"?
    More that Asperger's isn't a term really used in clinical terms; it was merged into ASD for diagnostic purposes a few years ago I think.

Not everything has to be about culture wars y'know.
    Except that there are these people called "Aspies" who PREFER to identify as Asperger's as they believe the old category suits their character traits better. Musk is clearly an Aspie. Good luck to him

If he so wishes to identify, who the fuck has the right to say NO? Honestly. Lefties. They drive me insane
    I wasn't saying no?
    Hmm. Fair enough. But others were

How dare they say what Musk admits about himself is "profoundly unhelpful" simply because it doesn't fit some new diagnostic criteria which are:

1. controversial, and

2. rejected by many actually autistic people and

3. likely to be changed again in time, as they always are?

If someone came to you and said "I have cancer" but they used the wrong technical word for their tumour would you criticise them? How about starting off with "that's brave of you to admit, can't be easy"

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Fundamentally.

I'm not denying anyone anything.
    I'm not a medical professional.
    Every single one of your arguments can be layered over yours on self ID of gender.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,846
    So, anyone on here read The E-Mail?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,503
    I went over 10,000 comments today and didn’t notice. I’ve been on here 4 1/2 years. @MoonRabbit has been on just over 18 months and done far more than me. I am an amateur.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    I don't think illness is the only paradigm through which you can view medically diagnosable states.

That's why it's called Autistic Spectrum Disorder and not Autistic Spectrum Disease.
    OK: consider the above modified to say "disorder" instead of/as well as "disease"

[Addendum: Fair point, but we are now arguing about the boundaries of "disorder". Specifically, should the medical paradigm be used for this thing? At what point does it stop being "person with a real problem" and start being "vague feeling of unease". Can it be objectively diagnosed? What's the error rate of such diagnoses? Is there a treatment and if so, does it work? Does the person want to be cured? What purpose does defining it as a disorder serve?]

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Are you drunk?
    Me, no. I'm working and have just had a cheese toastie. You?

(it was a real question, btw)
  • Options
    Gosh.
    Imagine how it will kick off when I reveal there hasn't been any ADD for about a decade.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

I must have read hundreds of thousands of the fucking things
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I went over 10,000 comments today and didn’t notice. I’ve been on here 4 1/2 years. @MoonRabbit has been on just over 18 months and done far more than me. I am an amateur.

Thats nothing, Leon has 34k in 31 months.

I'm in no position to judge.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,286
    edited July 2023
    CatMan said:

Hah. I think TSE might ban us if we mention it.

Either the ramblings of a deranged schizophrenic, or the juciest gossip ever. Who knows?

I ain't linking to it. I like my PB account.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,846
    edited July 2023
    DougSeal said:

CatMan said:

I must have read hundreds of thousands of the fucking things
    This one refers to a former chancellor. It's all the rage on Twitter at the moment

(This link isn't the actual e-mail, you'll have to find it for yourself since TSE will lock me up with Max Verstappen and force feed me Pineapple Pizzas if I link to it)

https://twitter.com/nmsonline/status/1677018147897917440
  • Options
    A disorder is a disruption to regular bodily structure and function. A syndrome is a collection of signs and symptoms associated with a specific health-related cause. A condition is an abnormal state of health that interferes with normal or regular feelings of wellbeing
  • Options
    carnforth said:

CatMan said:

Either the ramblings of a deranged schizophrenic, or the juciest gossip ever. Who knows?
    Push the envelope: what email? PM me if you don't want to say out loud.
  • Options
    The full email is available, but I'm not linking to it. Twitter knows all.
  • Options
    Completely random, but I do love this giant sphereical display in Vegas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-66114544
  • Options
    viewcode said:

carnforth said:

CatMan said:

PM'd. Enjoy.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

If you’ve got something to say. Say it.

Here’s tonight’s paper round up

Good news.

Completed expected news.

Are you sure? News.

Never trust a Greek bearing gifts, News.

Why didn’t more papers cover this? News.

• Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

OK: consider the above modified to say "disorder" instead of/as well as "disease"

[Addendum: Fair point, but we are now arguing about the boundaries of "disorder". Specifically, should the medical paradigm be used for this thing? At what point does it stop being "person with a real problem" and start being "vague feeling of unease". Can it be objectively diagnosed? What's the error rate of such diagnoses? Is there a treatment and if so, does it work? Does the person want to be cured? What purpose does defining it as a disorder serve?]

All classifications have fuzzy boundaries, so you can look at any classification or diagnosis of a disorder or a disease and find people at the boundary where you might dispute if they really have a real problem. Many people applied your exact arguments over ASD to Covid-19.

That doesn't mean it isn't a real thing that is useful to be able to diagnose.

I have a diagnosis for ASD. It's useful for me, and for the medical professionals who help me with my mental health, to have that diagnosis as a core foundation on which to build an understanding of my psychology and to design coping strategies and anticipate difficult situations.

I've been married twice, have one child, have held down reasonably well-paid jobs, and sometimes react to stressful arguments by doing things like pouring a glass of water over my head.

I'm really not sure what your problem is with ASD as a diagnosis, but I find it quite hostile and unpleasant.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

CatMan said:

PM'd. Enjoy.
    Most kind, thank you. I've read it and, well, that's a bit of a bombshell and no mistake... :(
  • Options
    Quick thinking government minister saves children from freaky mural trauma, news.

And that concludes the papers. No bad news.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

CatMan said:

PM'd. Enjoy.
    Most kind, thank you. I've read it and, well, that's a bit of a bombshell and no mistake... :(
    If it's not true, it's extremely well done.
  • Options

I'm really not sure what your problem is with ASD as a diagnosis, but I find it quite hostile and unpleasant.

It's not intended as such I assure you. My stance is as explained: by stretching the definition it falls outside the boundaries of medicine. It's not meant to insult you nor belittle you. It is meant to question the usefulness of the medical paradigm and consider whether we need another definition to cover cases like this.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,386
    edited July 2023
    Just caught up with the cricket score. Typical Headingley day. Relatively low scoring match with lots of wickets, although one or two batsmen have done well. Interesting how the stereotypes about particular grounds often seem to be true.
  • Options
    PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

CatMan said:

PM'd. Enjoy.
    If it's wholly the work of someone who's professionally disinterested, it's especially well done. Perhaps unbelievably so. But I wonder what the threat of "Just got to choose who’s next" is about.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,356
    Can someone enlighten me re the email
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,003
    Peck said:

carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

viewcode said:

carnforth said:

CatMan said:

PM'd. Enjoy.
    If it's wholly the work of someone who's professionally disinterested, it's especially well done. Perhaps unbelievably so. But I wonder what the threat of "Just got to choose who’s next" is about.
    Better than most average Russian trolls, certainly.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,356
    PM me you bastards
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,041
    rcs1000 said:

PM me you bastards

Just google George Osborne email. ;)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,000
    rcs1000 said:

You might find it if you GO through the names of former chancellors.
  • Options
    The E-Mail. TLDR. That’s my only comment.
  • Options
    Pm'd
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

PM me you bastards

If all hearts were open and all desires known — as they would be if people showed their souls — how many gapings, sighings, clenched fists, knotted brows, broad grins, and red eyes should we see in the market-place!
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    On second reading, I think it's fabricated or at least elaborated. The green room paragraph is a bit of a tell.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Certainly not something to revoke his CH over.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It’s just a standard thing, you know know, where people are passionate in their work, and try not to take it home with them, as that wouldn’t go down very well at all. In some jobs though, such as publishing, you have to shout “it’s a stop” otherwise what happens if you don’t?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,003
    edited July 2023
    carnforth said:

On second reading, I think it's fabricated or at least elaborated. The green room paragraph is a bit of a tell.

I think it would have been better displayed using cut out bits of newspaper.

It is a little worrying though that someone can produce this and by the end of tomorrow everyone will have read it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    carnforth said:

True in all details seems unlikely. If (Spartan) it's not professional work, the author may not be being 100% true to themselves about their motivation which is not a recipe for clear perception and analysis. Then again, 90% wouldn't be bad.

Skeletons dancing in closets is an unusual turn of phrase.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,004
    What's the story with the (BOY) George Osborne email that's been trending on Twitter? @TheScreamingEagles
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

What's the story with the (BOY) George Osborne email that's been trending on Twitter? @TheScreamingEagles

George Osborne is a good Muslim boy.

I have PM'd you the full email, if you haven't seen it.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    RobD said:

DougSeal said:

Certainly not something to revoke his CH over.
    My daughter is ringing the bells for a wedding tomorrow. I don't know who the couple are, but, given what we know about human relationships in general, the chances aren't that low that the email could have been written about that couple, or any one of the large number of other couples marrying this weekend.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

There is a bunch of corroborating evidence, so I am pretty sure some of it is true (and it chimes with gossip I have heard) BUT the whole thing reads too much like a vengeful, rather hysterical takedown, by some slighted person (an ex?) so I suspect there are enormous amounts of exaggeration, as well, if not outright lies
  • Options
    The email writer would have been better adopting a less catty, bitchy, hateful style of prose
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

There is a bunch of corroborating evidence, so I am pretty sure some of it is true (and it chimes with gossip I have heard) BUT the whole thing reads too much like a vengeful, rather hysterical takedown, by some slighted person (an ex?) so I suspect there are enormous amounts of exaggeration, as well, if not outright lies
    My guess is that the stuff involving ladies over 25 is true, and the stuff involving ladies under 25 is made up.

The stuff about his boring the pants off a whole dinner party in Italy by whinging about Brexit rings true though.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The email writer would have been better adopting a less catty, bitchy, hateful style of prose

On the other hand, the Daily Mail would love to hire them.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

My guess is that the stuff involving ladies over 25 is true, and the stuff involving ladies under 25 is made up.

The stuff about his boring the pants off a whole dinner party in Italy by whinging about Brexit rings true though.
    Yes that’s pretty much my take
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

I like it when people let rip as themselves. "To touch serenity with a finger wet with tears."
    But what if it's put on in this case, though, and the author is professionally disinterested? Pretty skilled piece of work if so.
  • Options
    Peck said:

carnforth said:

True in all details seems unlikely. If (Spartan) it's not professional work, the author may not be being 100% true to themselves about their motivation which is not a recipe for clear perception and analysis. Then again, 90% wouldn't be bad.

Skeletons dancing in closets is an unusual turn of phrase.
    Indeed. Lady Whistledown would be proud of it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,386
    edited July 2023
    O/T

Important witness at the Post Office Inquiry Gareth Jenkins was supposed to be giving evidence yesterday. He didn't do so because at the last moment the Post Office disclosed a further 4,767 potentially relevant documents which made it impossible to fairly hear his evidence. Head of the inquiry Sir Wyn Williams was not happy with this turn of events.

Video here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0VqwuOCm5I
  • Options
    @rcs1000, @RobD, @GIN1138, @TSE, @carnforth, @MoonRabbit, @Peck
    I've added you to a convo of you want to discuss THE EMAIL in private. Anybody else wanna play, just say.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Important witness at the Post Office Inquiry Gareth Jenkins was supposed to be giving evidence yesterday. He didn't do so because at the last moment the Post Office disclosed a further 4,767 potentially relevant documents which made it impossible to fairly hear his evidence.

Video here.

Isn't that tactic disallowed, or at least frowned on? Or am I just remembering legal dramas?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,876
    Cyclefree said:

I have not read any of the recent threads as they seemed to be exclusively about cricket, that unendurable borefest.

Anyway some reading for you all -

1. The decision to dismiss the government's challenge to the Covid Inquiry - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Cab-Off-v-Covid-Enquiry-6.7.23-approved-judgment-002.pdf.
    2. The Mermaids/LGBA decision - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Mermaids-v-Charity-Commission-judgment-060723.pdf
    3. The ACE/Fahmy judgment - https://didlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Fahmy-judgment-2.pdf
    4. The CGD/Forstater damages award - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z1zzc_88xaGp5VxXot6m6t_7JxT7wuQY/view?ref=forstater.com&pli=1.

Much to ponder in all of them.

Cricket's not half as tedious as you complaining about people talking about it.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I've added you to a convo of you want to discuss THE EMAIL in private. Anybody else wanna play, just say.

The entire thing is all over Twitter (not threads). I don’t think you are guarding a dragon’s lair of secret gossip. Sorry
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

I have not read any of the recent threads as they seemed to be exclusively about cricket, that unendurable borefest.

1. The decision to dismiss the government's challenge to the Covid Inquiry - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Cab-Off-v-Covid-Enquiry-6.7.23-approved-judgment-002.pdf.
    2. The Mermaids/LGBA decision - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Mermaids-v-Charity-Commission-judgment-060723.pdf
    3. The ACE/Fahmy judgment - https://didlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Fahmy-judgment-2.pdf
    4. The CGD/Forstater damages award - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z1zzc_88xaGp5VxXot6m6t_7JxT7wuQY/view?ref=forstater.com&pli=1.

Was that a complaint, or just a comment on what they think of cricket?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Thanks. I've read it now... 👍

Not sure what to make of it... BUT... here's what I think (and remember I'm no fan of George Osborne - OGH once banned for 12hrs me for calling him a "creep" - The first and only time I was banned here in 17 years)

If George is indeed a cheating son-of-a-bitch, the poster (whoever he/she/they/them) is should have messaged "Thea" privately with their "evidence" rather than sharing it all over the internet.

It very much reads like a bitter, desperate and vengeful Corbynista (or one of George's original ex's) trying to ruin Thea's happy day (always remember the wedding day is the BRIDES day - which is a pretty scummy thing to do, whatever your politics, IMO)

Remember, everyone.... An eye for and eye... AND THE WHOLE WORLD GOES BLIND...
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

The entire thing is all over Twitter (not threads). I don’t think you are guarding a dragon’s lair of secret gossip. Sorry
    I was enabling a freer and more forthright discussion without exposing OGH to legal problems. Resorting to euphemism. circumlocution or innuendo is for children.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Was that a complaint, or just a comment on what they think of cricket?
    It was more of a gripe. Perhaps a moan. I was maybe bitching or whining or sounding off.
    But a complaint? Heavens no.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Not sure what to make of it... BUT... here's what I think (and remember I'm no fan of George Osborne - OGH once banned for 12hrs me for calling him a "creep" - The first and only time I was banned here in 17 years)

If George is indeed a cheating son-of-a-bitch, the poster (whoever he/she/they/them) is should have messaged "Thea" privately with their "evidence" rather than sharing it all over the internet.

It very much reads like a bitter, desperate and vengeful Corbynista (or one of George's original ex's) trying to ruin Thea's happy day (always remember the wedding day is the BRIDES day - which is a pretty scummy thing to do, whatever your politics, IMO)

It reads like a jilted ex to me. It feels very personal, not at all political.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I won't post here again before August, so I wish George and Thea all the best and hope their lives are full of love, joy and happiness...

BUT,,,

Thea...

If it turns out George is ultimately a lying, cheating, sniveling son-of-a-bitch who ***** you liked he ****** the British people from 2010 to 2015... make sure you take the b*stard for every penny you can! 😂

Otherwise, have a happy life! 🙏
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,563
    Correction: I said Dr. Wen's blood oxygen was down to 80 percent. She said it was in the 80's. (Still very worrying, as I understand it.)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,893
    edited July 2023
    The email is tawdry. George should sue.
  • Options
    See you all in September 🎸
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,703
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Er, it's the most boring sport ever invented!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,703
    viewcode said:

@viewcode Add me! Add me!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,762

The email is tawdry. George should sue.

Removed my like, though i agree with first part of your statement, disagree with second.
  • Options

viewcode said:

@viewcode Add me! Add me!
    Done
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,919
    The Tories will lose all of them, and clearly.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,044
    rcs1000 said:

PM me you bastards

All very unpleasant stuff, but I’ve no idea about it’s veracity.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,762
    Am amazed RCS has to ask a pack of PBers re the stupid email.

Seeing as how it took me all of 10 seconds worth of googling before I was reading it.

Or about half of it, gave up as it was way less than edifying, enlightening, entertaining or exciting (plus bunch of other e-words) than graffiti at a bus station toilet.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,044
    edited July 2023

Seeing as how it took me all of 10 seconds worth of googling before I was reading it.

Or about half of it, gave up as it was way less than edifying, enlightening, entertaining or exciting (plus bunch of other e-words) than graffiti at a bus station toilet.

Yes, you’d just press the delete button if someone sent you this.

Now, I have read some extremely funny hate mail from jilted ex’s, during my professional career, in which the miscreant partner’s shortcomings are laid bare pitilessly, but this isn’t one such.

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,560

That’s a great summary. I came across it on Twitter. It’s hardly earth shattering stuff. Or certainly the bit I read wasn’t.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,560
    GIN1138 said:

carnforth said:

GIN1138 said:

Are you sure that’s what the ban was for and not for a subtle reference to Radiohead’s seminal track which just happens to have the same name.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,163
    DougSeal said:

She’s also half your age and (probably) has done far more than you…
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,429

DougSeal said:

She’s also half your age and (probably) has done far more than you…
    She wasn't the first to recognise ex the remarkable comeback potential of Truss.

Let's draw a veil over who has done whom, shall we ?
  • Options
    Now that is interesting. The delay in Trump's trials is not popular with Republican voters.

A New Poll on the Trump Indictments Has a Surprising Result
    A new POLITICO Magazine/Ipsos poll finds one thing that unites people on the Trump indictments.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/07/06/trump-trial-poll-ipsos-00104772
  • Options

Perhaps - but if you're using Twitter efficiently, you wouldn't have seen it, unless you glanced at 'trending'.
    Didn't appear on my feed.
  • Options
    Cost of Euston HS2 terminus could race past £4.8bn estimate, MPs say
    Overspend blamed on government indecision
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jul/07/cost-of-euston-hs2-terminus-could-race-past-4-point-8bn-estimate-mps-say
    ...In a highly critical report, MPs on the committee said the Department for Transport (DfT) was yet to “establish the design and expectations for the station” against what it was “willing to spend”, despite spending more than eight years planning and designing the London terminus...
  • Options
    Biden didn’t authorise secret US-Russia talks over Ukraine war, White House says
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jul/07/russia-us-talks-ukraine-war-biden
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,828
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    Absolutely right. It’s not fun and it’s something people admit easily and Musk has - as I correctly surmised - publicly discussed his autism. I salute him for that alone

Fuck me. So in leftieland he's not allowed to self identfy as Asperger's? tho it's OK for people with cocks to self identify as "women"?
    No. Nowt to do with politics. It's been removed as of 2013 from DSM-5, as no satisfactory distinction from other forms of autism could be made.
    Hence the term ASD which it was merged with in 2021 under ICD-11. Autistic
    Spectrum Disorder.
    So. From 2013 you couldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's. You can self identify as whatever you like as ever.
    But it ain't very helpful.
    It's his fucking choice. Dipshit

And there is massive controvery in autist-land over the removal of these terms: Asperger's, high functioning, etc
    Don't call me a dipshit. I don't identify as such.
    Glad to see you defend someone's choice to self identify in the teeth of medical opinion.
    Imho. As a professional working in the area, ADHD is under diagnosed. And ASD over. Like anxiety and depression a few years back. Similarly, the two are often
    overlapping and can be confused.
    Fair enough. But this issue makes me personally angry

Probably because a very close relative of mine has recently been officially diagnosed as ASD and this person was told "we would once have diagnosed you as Aspie, and high functioning, but this is no longer officially allowed even though we think it useful", then this person went away and read up on all of it and decided "fuck yeah, I'm Aspie": - ie: high functioning, socially awkward, doesn't need much or any help with daily living, but has real and grave problems in certain situations, highly intelligent etc

This person, close to me, has self identified as Aspie and it brings this person a lot of consolation - and also practical assistance: because this person now reaches out to other self-identified "Aspies" and finds common ground, AND a social network. And Elon Musk is therefore a bit of an inspiration. The richest-ish man in the world says he's Aspie. Yay

Good luck to them all
    Self-diagnosed Aspergers has been fashionable amongst a certain type of tech nerd since the internet decided decades ago Bill Gates had it (also the "richest-ish man in the world"). Self-diagnosed ADHD was also popular in the United States after the amphetamines used to treat it became known as "smart drugs".
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,458
    What was Osborne's alleged safe word, Louise wasn't it?
    Don't know if it'll do much good but maybe worth a try..
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,107

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

No. Nowt to do with politics. It's been removed as of 2013 from DSM-5, as no satisfactory distinction from other forms of autism could be made.
    Spectrum Disorder.
    So. From 2013 you couldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's. You can self identify as whatever you like as ever.

And there is massive controvery in autist-land over the removal of these terms: Asperger's, high functioning, etc
    Glad to see you defend someone's choice to self identify in the teeth of medical opinion.
    Imho. As a professional working in the area, ADHD is under diagnosed. And ASD over. Like anxiety and depression a few years back. Similarly, the two are often

Probably because a very close relative of mine has recently been officially diagnosed as ASD and this person was told "we would once have diagnosed you as Aspie, and high functioning, but this is no longer officially allowed even though we think it useful", then this person went away and read up on all of it and decided "fuck yeah, I'm Aspie": - ie: high functioning, socially awkward, doesn't need much or any help with daily living, but has real and grave problems in certain situations, highly intelligent etc

This person, close to me, has self identified as Aspie and it brings this person a lot of consolation - and also practical assistance: because this person now reaches out to other self-identified "Aspies" and finds common ground, AND a social network. And Elon Musk is therefore a bit of an inspiration. The richest-ish man in the world says he's Aspie. Yay

Good luck to them all
    Self-diagnosed Aspergers has been fashionable amongst a certain type of tech nerd since the internet decided decades ago Bill Gates had it (also the "richest-ish man in the world"). Self-diagnosed ADHD was also popular in the United States after the amphetamines used to treat it became known as "smart drugs".
    People often like to validate themselves with a medicalised diagnosis. Sometimes it is helpful in accessing support, sometimes it is an obstacle and people say "I can't do that because I am X diagnosis" or just a licence to behave in an unusual manner

A label like this can be quite restricting, and not all personality traits need to be medicalised. We should treat people as they are, whether they carry a medical label or not.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,943
    On topic, this would help:

Labour gain from SNP in East Kilbride West on a swing of 14%. SNP in 3rd place BEHIND THE TORIES on first preferences

https://twitter.com/themajorityscot/status/1677095791133958150?s=20
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,611
    Have to say that SKS was presumably grateful for the interruption of his speech by protesters yesterday as it broke the tedium and made it vaguely newsworthy.
    He didn’t have that advantage on R4 in the morning and boy that was grim. Platitudes and generalities piled high with not a detail in sight. He’s going to be poor in the election campaign, possibly even worse than Sunak if you can imagine such a thing.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,021
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Important witness at the Post Office Inquiry Gareth Jenkins was supposed to be giving evidence yesterday. He didn't do so because at the last moment the Post Office disclosed a further 4,767 potentially relevant documents which made it impossible to fairly hear his evidence.

Video here.

Isn't that tactic disallowed, or at least frowned on? Or am I just remembering legal dramas?
    I would think that some quite important people involved are getting desperate. Despite a number of attempts at Lessons Will Be Learned* and It Has Been An Awful Experience For Everyone** some impertinent people are still wanting actual people to pay an actual legal price for what happened.

*No lessons will be learned. Now shut up , headcount, and let me carry on as if nothing happened
    **I was a victim too. The biggest victim. Now shut up, headcount, and let me carry on as if nothing happened. Copyright Alistair Campbell
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,123
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Good luck to them all
    People often like to validate themselves with a medicalised diagnosis. Sometimes it is helpful in accessing support, sometimes it is an obstacle and people say "I can't do that because I am X diagnosis" or just a licence to behave in an unusual manner

A label like this can be quite restricting, and not all personality traits need to be medicalised. We should treat people as they are, whether they carry a medical label or not.
    Yes, but more. Labels help because they reify a set of traits, making it easier to connect with other people with a similar experience and to look up information. (I say that as someone with a physical health spectrum disorder.)
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,900
    edited July 2023

Agreed. I can't be bothered working out whether it's genuine or not.

OTOH Robert Jenrick is genuinely and quite luridly evil when he has the children's Disney art painted over in the refugee centres because it might make the place too "welcoming". He's Cruella De Vil. Probably kills puppy dogs for fun.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,340
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Good luck to them all

I'm far from being an expert on autism and Asperger's, but many people I know in tech are probably in some ways on the spectrum. Mrs J probably is, as she readily acknowledges.

Perhaps people go into tech because the sort of laser-focus the job requires suits certain autism traits?

But what annoys me is people using such diagnoses (esp. self diagnosis) as an excuse for sh*tty behaviour. Something that makes other people think such sh*tty behaviour is typical of people with that diagnosis, when it is not.
  • Options

On topic, this would help:

Labour gain from SNP in East Kilbride West on a swing of 14%. SNP in 3rd place BEHIND THE TORIES on first preferences

https://twitter.com/themajorityscot/status/1677095791133958150?s=20

I've noticed that tweets are back again without having signed on to twitter (or even being a member in my case). Presumably the protests reached even Musk, particularly with the advent of a potential competitor in nuclear war and the end of the world as we know it or Threads for short.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Agreed. I can't be bothered working out whether it's genuine or not.

OTOH Robert Jenrick is genuinely and quite luridly evil when he has the children's Disney art painted over in the refugee centres because it might make the place too "welcoming". He's Cruella De Vil. Probably kills puppy dogs for fun.
    We already have Cruella in the cabinet. Maybe the Grinch? I do think that this competition to be the most obnoxious member of the cabinet is getting slightly out of hand. It is not entirely clear to me that it was even a good way of winning votes in the first place, to be honest.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,107

Foxy said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Good luck to them all

Yes, but more. Labels help because they reify a set of traits, making it easier to connect with other people with a similar experience and to look up information. (I say that as someone with a physical health spectrum disorder.)
    Sure, labelling can be useful, but it can also be restricting. People sometimes use it as an excuse to avoid an activity, rather than a spur to work harder than most at an activity.

Some people find reading and writing difficult, some people find social interaction difficult, some people find unpredictability difficult, some people find noise difficult. Labelling these personality traits can help people mitigate the traits, but it can also cause people to retreat from their potential.

In any case, a lot of people do search for these medical labels. No one is allowed to simply be "eccentric" any more.
This discussion has been closed.