Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

July 20th – the worst by-election day for the Tories ever? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,724

To say he has a metal hip and is off aging years, Murray can't half still play same tennis.

COME ON ANDY!
    Or if we use Murray dialect...Come beep beep beep beeeeeeeeeeeep beep beeep beeeeeeeeeeeeep beeep beeep ON.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,287
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

I decided this was sufficiently insightful and have therefore decided to repost it:

There is a huge incumbency "bonus" for any social media platform. There are users, and an audience, and people post there already.

It is therefore extremely hard to replace an app with something essentially identical. I mean, what's the incentive to jump, as you lose all your followers, and you can't necessarily see all the things you used to.

Now, that's not to say that changes don't happen: whatever happened to Friends Reunited? Or MySpace? Or Flickr?

But they typically happen because someone else comes up with a better, different app, and people migrate because there is some feature that is missing.

Threads fails - for now - because it doesn't really offer anything particularly new.

That said... who on here pays for Twitter?

Because right now, the site is caught in limbo. It has massive debts. It's struggling to make new monetisation work. It's become a hotbed of IP theft (best place to stream pirated movies!). And Musk is stuck in a mindset where he's trying to cut costs to reach profitability, and that's making his systems less reliable.

So, what happens?

Hard to say, but there's a reason why Twitter debt trades at 50 cents in the dollar, and Fidelity has written down the value of its stake by two thirds.

I have given up on Twitter since it became pay to play. I have a moderate but not insignificant (four figure) number of followers, but since Musk started downgrading the visibility of anyone who hasn't paid for a blue tick, I get pretty much zero engagement.

It's gone from being a fairly lively place to share ideas and opinions to being completely dead. Now you could argue I should just pay the eight bucks or whatever it is a month but the problem isn't just me, the problem is it's also downgrading the visibility of a lot of other people I used to follow, thus making the platform less valuable.

Imagine if PB charged a $8 a month fee, I'd probably pay it as I enjoy the site (heck, I do donate when the paypal button goes up). But imagine if it also bunged interesting and insightful posts from some of my favourite posters down the bottom of the page because they haven't paid the $8 a month fee, and upgraded the site's shitposters jus because they have paid. That is twitter now, and that it is why it is not worth the eight bucks.
    I’ve not noticed my engagement go down. I have no blue tick and I certainly don’t pay

Musk has made innovations I dislike quite a lot. The cheap seat blue ticks are annoying. The 600 tweet thing was insane (and could have destroyed the site) but he backtracked

Other than that I still find it immensely useful and entertaining. Far more than any other social media. But it does suit my mindset
    It remains (for now) the best of a bad bunch. I'm more engaged with fintwit, and like talking about interest rates and oil prices. If I want to do the hard politics stuff I go here, where I find a much more reasoned and stimulating debate. Anything algorithmic just seems to push people into a left wing box or a right wing box with little room for nuance, because it pushes the stuff it thinks you want to see in order to keep you engaged, or keep you outraged.

Twitter does news well, but it does not do nuance well.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,116
    slade said:

Another delve into forgotten music. The 3rd piano concerto by Xaver Scharwenka is superb - but the 4th is better.

Thanks for the tip. I have listened to Scharwenka piano concerto’s before. They are lost/forgotten/overlooked pleasures.

Something not lost or overlooked, but, how highly to you place Liszt Piano Sonata in B minor, is it his best work, or only for aficionados who take time to get to know it? The more I once played it, the more beautiful and deep it became.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83vPgr7lKzs

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,232
    edited July 2023
    Apparently there's an opinion poll for Selby & Ainsty in the Yorkshire Post with the following figures.

Lab 41%
    Con 29%

Although 30% for other parties seems a bit high.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,475
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Also the idea that Musk is a lucky bullshitter is disproved as soon as you listen to him. He’s socially awkward and verbally hesitant. He struggles to follow conversations at times. He has, I believe, admitted he’s on the spectrum. Which all fits

That is the opposite of a plausible huckster

He got where he is by having tremendous insights, a willingness to imagine, a great gift for conceptual engineering, and a formidable work ethic

True. But he's made a right mess of Twitter and I'm glad to find what looks like might genuinely be a viable alternative. The ideal would be to have old Twitter back, but it's gone for good.
    Old Twitter was ruined before Musk got there. The censorship of ANY right wing voices became insane. Of course if you aren’t on the right that was never an issue
    Twitter wasn't really a political place for me - more a place where I discussed nerdy interests in a sort of similar way to Reddit, but with the advantage of e.g. watching a sporting event live or whatever, and also being able to connect with like-minded people. Now it feels like culture wars writ large - it is unavoidable, and amplified since the platform itself became a football in it - and it has just turned into depression fuel, really.

I spend much more time on Discord these days (and probably actually more time on here too), where the conversations can be more focused and you don't have to put up with a massive Roe v Wade debate when all you actually want to do is discuss the relative merits of different professional wrestlers, or who is likely to win Paris-Roubaix.

Threads already seems a lot closer to what I had with Twitter - but it is lacking search, and the feed algorithm is weird. I daresay these things will get fixed though.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    BBC doing Meta PR for them...

Instagram's Threads: 'Almost every influencer will be hopping on it'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66122246

Its like they really hate twitter.
  • Options
    I think this straight down line is out of date now

At least half of recent polls show Tory’s on up compared to recent from pollster

Indeed the pollingreport seats has Tory’s on the rise again.

Why does polling report still have 44 SNP?
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

He took their toy away.
  • Options

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Also the idea that Musk is a lucky bullshitter is disproved as soon as you listen to him. He’s socially awkward and verbally hesitant. He struggles to follow conversations at times. He has, I believe, admitted he’s on the spectrum. Which all fits

He got where he is by having tremendous insights, a willingness to imagine, a great gift for conceptual engineering, and a formidable work ethic

True. But he's made a right mess of Twitter and I'm glad to find what looks like might genuinely be a viable alternative. The ideal would be to have old Twitter back, but it's gone for good.
    Old Twitter was ruined before Musk got there. The censorship of ANY right wing voices became insane. Of course if you aren’t on the right that was never an issue
    Also it never made money....the two years it did, it was mostly accountancy trickery and was back to bleeding (before Musk) and massively overstaffed.
    Yes - and that is mostly, in truth, because their ad offering was garbage compared to FB and Google.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Foss said:

He took their toy away.
    It wasn't many years ago when they were telling us Meta were the worst people in the world. That Facebook enabled Trump and Brexit victories.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,097

They REALLY want Twitter to fail. Can't think why

To the extent that are pushing Zuckerberg and his super creepy Meta "Fediverse". UGH
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    I have not read any of the recent threads as they seemed to be exclusively about cricket, that unendurable borefest.

Anyway some reading for you all -

1. The decision to dismiss the government's challenge to the Covid Inquiry - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Cab-Off-v-Covid-Enquiry-6.7.23-approved-judgment-002.pdf.
    2. The Mermaids/LGBA decision - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Mermaids-v-Charity-Commission-judgment-060723.pdf
    3. The ACE/Fahmy judgment - https://didlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Fahmy-judgment-2.pdf
    4. The CGD/Forstater damages award - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z1zzc_88xaGp5VxXot6m6t_7JxT7wuQY/view?ref=forstater.com&pli=1.

Much to ponder in all of them.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Also it never made money....the two years it did, it was mostly accountancy trickery and was back to bleeding (before Musk) and massively overstaffed.
    Yes - and that is mostly, in truth, because their ad offering was garbage compared to FB and Google.
    This is the absolute key issue that twitter never managed to fix. Meta can literally deanonymize data because they already know so much about you. They are the world's big purchaser of data, which they then can deanonymize to feed into the personal profiles on you and I...which then allows hyper-targeted ad buys (for a fee obvs).

Where as twitter is, would you like to advertise, you probably going to get shown to a load of blank egg profiles. No idea if they are interested in Japan "back massagers" or not. Where as Facebook probably already know your sex toy of choice.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

They REALLY want Twitter to fail. Can't think why

To the extent that are pushing Zuckerberg and his super creepy Meta "Fediverse". UGH
    I thought it was funny today they had a big splash about MPs presenting activities on news channels need regulating written by a bloke who works for Sky News.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Come on Wimbledon do Murray a favour and accidentally on purpose make the lights fail....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,005

Come on Wimbledon do Murray a favour and accidentally on purpose make the lights fail....

2-1 in sets to British hero Murray! :lol:

Play suspended for the night.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,560
    edited July 2023
    ClippP said:

dixiedean said:

Can't see the Tories losing all three tbh.

Whyever not, Mr Dean? The Lib Dems seem to be moblising well for Somerton & Frome, and Labour seem to be making a big effort in Uxbridge. The Lib Dem campaign in Selby seems somewhat weak in comparison, and I am sure that the Labour campaign is taking advantage of that and producing appropriate bar charts.

Overall the public mood seems to be as it was at the time of the local elections, or perhaps even stronger. So the Tories are set for a proper drubbing - at the hands of the Lib Dems where they are strongly organised, and of Labour where they are not.

As Mrs Thatcher once said, "Rejoice, rejoice!"
    Think Selby may be a step too far.
    That's all.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s amazing how many people had no problem admitting that Elon Musk is seriously smart - until he revealed that he is quite right wing. At which point he miraculously morphed into a stuttering moron who just keeps getting lucky

Musk strikes me as one of those super smart people who is also a bit dumb in certain respects, certainly in his dealings with people. Spending time in academia and then finance I have come across many people who fall into this category, Musk just seems one of the more extreme examples.
    He’s likes to think he's autistic and he’s confessed this. That’s the issue
    FTFY
    Do one, actually. Autism is hard enough to deal with without creepy insinuations that it's a lifestyle choice. And is there anything more pathetic than that ftfy thing?
    Absolutely right. It’s not fun and it’s something people admit easily and Musk has - as I correctly surmised - publicly discussed his autism. I salute him for that alone

Asperger's isn't even a term used these days.
    So that's profoundly unhelpful.
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

This is the absolute key issue that twitter never managed to fix. Meta can literally deanonymize data because they already know so much about you. They are the world's big purchaser of data, which they then can deanonymize to feed into the personal profiles on you and I...which then allows hyper-targeted ad buys (for a fee obvs).

Where as twitter is, would you like to advertise, you probably going to get shown to a load of blank egg profiles. No idea if they are interested in Japan "back massagers" or not. Where as Facebook probably already know your sex toy of choice.
    Working as I do in advertising - honestly, Meta's targeting isn't really *that* good, and in any case outside of abandoned-basket type retargeting there isn't a great deal of value in that minute a degree of hypertargeting. A lot of it is unreliable, and unlike 'traditional' (i.e. properly regulated) media - where you have independent third party measurement bodies like BARB and Rajar - they mark their own homework on the data they share. However, most marketers will know that Meta and Google simply work - they get results that they see on their own platform, whether that be sales, brand equity or whatever. Meta's engine has alway been good *enough* - and has crucially always offered a wide array of characteristics by which to target. Age bands, location, parental status and so on.

Twitter has never had any of that - it is legitimately less nuanced than TV advertising, with vast wastage. And now frankly there is so much abusive and unpleasant content on there (coupled with the contempt with which Musk has treated his clients) that many of those advertisers who were still using it have just thought, 'fuck it, lets just shift the budget elsewhere and save ourselves a headache'.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

It’s amazing how many people had no problem admitting that Elon Musk is seriously smart - until he revealed that he is quite right wing. At which point he miraculously morphed into a stuttering moron who just keeps getting lucky

Musk strikes me as one of those super smart people who is also a bit dumb in certain respects, certainly in his dealings with people. Spending time in academia and then finance I have come across many people who fall into this category, Musk just seems one of the more extreme examples.
    FTFY
    Do one, actually. Autism is hard enough to deal with without creepy insinuations that it's a lifestyle choice. And is there anything more pathetic than that ftfy thing?
    Absolutely right. It’s not fun and it’s something people admit easily and Musk has - as I correctly surmised - publicly discussed his autism. I salute him for that alone

Fuck me. So in leftieland he's not allowed to self identfy as Asperger's? tho it's OK for people with cocks to self identify as "women"?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,176
    edited July 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Threads already seems a lot closer to what I had with Twitter - but it is lacking search, and the feed algorithm is weird. I daresay these things will get fixed though.

It's weird how search is/isn't prioritized:

- Threads (apparently, I haven't tried it) has no search
    - Bluesky has excellent search right from the start even though it has almost no other features, and doesn't even have a logo yet
    - Mastodon has no search built in, and when people tried to make their own search websites the admins of the biggest instances yelled at them on the grounds that it enables harassment or something
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Apparently there's an opinion poll for Selby & Ainsty in the Yorkshire Post with the following figures.

Lab 41%
    Con 29%

But how many of those asked refused to answer the question and shyly kept their vote secret?

I’m with the PB consensus, Labour will lose S&A, and Uxbridge is too tight to call.

Much to the embarrassment of PBs Ulez Fan Club, who daily try to bulldozer us with how it’s not a vote loser for Labour… a key North London Lawyer won’t come out and back its expansion now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66124191
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,939
    edited July 2023

At least half of recent polls show Tory’s on up compared to recent from pollster

Tories will be around 20% by the end of the year. Mortgage rates, CoL, NHS waiting times, piss-poor public services, etc. etc.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lab 41%
    Con 29%

But how many of those asked refused to answer the question and shyly kept their vote secret?

I’m with the PB consensus, Labour will lose S&A, and Uxbridge is too tight to call.

Much to the embarrassment of PBs Ulez Fan Club, who daily try to bulldozer us with how it’s not a vote loser for Labour… a key North London Lawyer won’t come out and back its expansion now.

I'm gonna vote for Wes at the GE, but I will NOT vote for Khan in the Mayoral. Probably just sit on my hands.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,995
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    'Absolutely right. It’s not fun and it’s something people admit easily and Musk has - as I correctly surmised - publicly discussed his autism. I salute him for that alone '

Least surprising news of the day. Mind you as probably at least half of PBers are likely also Aspies to some degree I am sure plenty on here can empathise
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Lab 41%
    Con 29%

I'm gonna vote for Wes at the GE, but I will NOT vote for Khan in the Mayoral. Probably just sit on my hands.
    Would you like to explain why?
  • Options

Rishi now getting more seats than Major 1997 and Hague 2001.

So much for the Tories heading for their worst defeat of all time!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,671
    Cyclefree said:

I have not read any of the recent threads as they seemed to be exclusively about cricket, that unendurable borefest.

1. The decision to dismiss the government's challenge to the Covid Inquiry - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Cab-Off-v-Covid-Enquiry-6.7.23-approved-judgment-002.pdf.
    2. The Mermaids/LGBA decision - https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/Mermaids-v-Charity-Commission-judgment-060723.pdf
    3. The ACE/Fahmy judgment - https://didlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/Fahmy-judgment-2.pdf
    4. The CGD/Forstater damages award - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z1zzc_88xaGp5VxXot6m6t_7JxT7wuQY/view?ref=forstater.com&pli=1.

AIUI, the Mermaids/LGBA decision was very simple: Mermaids has no standing to bring a case, because it cannot demonstrate how it is harmed by LGBA being charity status.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Twitter wasn't really a political place for me - more a place where I discussed nerdy interests in a sort of similar way to Reddit, but with the advantage of e.g. watching a sporting event live or whatever, and also being able to connect with like-minded people. Now it feels like culture wars writ large - it is unavoidable, and amplified since the platform itself became a football in it - and it has just turned into depression fuel, really.

I spend much more time on Discord these days (and probably actually more time on here too), where the conversations can be more focused and you don't have to put up with a massive Roe v Wade debate when all you actually want to do is discuss the relative merits of different professional wrestlers, or who is likely to win Paris-Roubaix.

I honestly don't get these issues with Twitter, to any great extent, For me it's down 10-20% in functionality, irritating but not critical. All you have to do is click the Following button, and be wary of (but don't dismiss) the For You button (it can sometimes be fun)

But then I LIKE arguments and politics and foul mouthed rants and weird memes and all that, and I love instant news and FAKE ALT RIGHTWING VIDEOS PUMPED OUT BY PUTINTRUMP HAHAHAHA

Don't over-invest emotionally in Threads. It ain't gonna do it. Fucking piece of shit, on day One? - not a hopeful sign
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,939
    Andy_JS said:

Lab 41%
    Con 29%

That will help Labour coalesce the anti-Tory vote. There was some talk that disaffected Tories would switch to LD, and some no doubt will, but those voters who just want to give the government a bloody nose will be encouraged to vote Labour by that poll.

Makes me think S&A may well go Labour.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Fuck me. So in leftieland he's not allowed to self identfy as Asperger's? tho it's OK for people with cocks to self identify as "women"?
    No. Nowt to do with politics. It's been removed as of 2013 from DSM-5, as no satisfactory distinction from other forms of autism could be made.
    Hence the term ASD which it was merged with in 2021 under ICD-11. Autistic Spectrum Disorder.
    So. From 2013 you couldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's. You can self identify as whatever you like as ever.
    But it ain't very helpful.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

More that Asperger's isn't a term really used in clinical terms; it was merged into ASD for diagnostic purposes a few years ago I think.

Not everything has to be about culture wars y'know.
    Except that there are these people called "Aspies" who PREFER to identify as Asperger's as they believe the old category suits their character traits better. Musk is clearly an Aspie. Good luck to him

If he so wishes to identify, who the fuck has the right to say NO? Honestly. Lefties. They drive me insane
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Andy_JS said:

Lab 41%
    Con 29%

That will help Labour coalesce the anti-Tory vote. There was some talk that disaffected Tories would switch to LD, and some no doubt will, but those voters who just want to give the government a bloody nose will be encouraged to vote Labour by that poll.

Makes me think S&A may well go Labour.
    Agree. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Labour win Selby more easily than Uxbridge.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

I honestly don't get these issues with Twitter, to any great extent, For me it's down 10-20% in functionality, irritating but not critical. All you have to do is click the Following button, and be wary of (but don't dismiss) the For You button (it can sometimes be fun)

But then I LIKE arguments and politics and foul mouthed rants and weird memes and all that, and I love instant news and FAKE ALT RIGHTWING VIDEOS PUMPED OUT BY PUTINTRUMP HAHAHAHA

Don't over-invest emotionally in Threads. It ain't gonna do it. Fucking piece of shit, on day One? - not a hopeful sign
    I have a functioning life away from the digital world, so don't worry on my behalf.

It sounds like Twitter basically evolved into something just right for you - fine. Carry on enjoying it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,146
    Wimbledon's 11 pm curfew demonstrates just how nimby this country is.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,675
    Frosty should stick to the day job, whatever the fuck that is.

https://twitter.com/DavidGHFrost/status/1677037404450877440?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    'Absolutely right. It’s not fun and it’s something people admit easily and Musk has - as I correctly surmised - publicly discussed his autism. I salute him for that alone '

Least surprising news of the day. Mind you as probably at least half of PBers are likely also Aspies to some degree I am sure plenty on here can empathise
    They won't empathise, precisely because they are so fucking autistic. Listen to them, already
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It was 10.30pm at Twickers when I saw Depeche Mode last month!
  • Options

Ghedebrav said:

- Bluesky has excellent search right from the start even though it has almost no other features, and doesn't even have a logo yet
    - Mastodon has no search built in, and when people tried to make their own search websites the admins of the biggest instances yelled at them on the grounds that it enables harassment or something
    I assume it's cos it's been built off Instagram, which has never had a great search functionality.

Mastodon was utterly baffling to me and tbh if I have to spend more than five minutes figuring it out I'm not going to use it.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

No. Nowt to do with politics. It's been removed as of 2013 from DSM-5, as no satisfactory distinction from other forms of autism could be made.
    Hence the term ASD which it was merged with in 2021 under ICD-11. Autistic
    Spectrum Disorder.
    So. From 2013 you couldn't be diagnosed with Asperger's. You can self identify as whatever you like as ever.
    It's his fucking choice. Dipshit

And there is massive controvery in autist-land over the removal of these terms: Asperger's, high functioning, etc
  • Options

Tories will be around 20% by the end of the year. Mortgage rates, CoL, NHS waiting times, piss-poor public services, etc. etc.
    A Con PV of 25% or less at the General Election? I really don’t think so.

However a PV of 26-30 and tactical voting reducing them to 150 MPs is quite possible.

The things you have listed are not enough to reduce them sub 25% election day. Mortgage rates, CoL, NHS waiting times are baked in to current polling and end result now, just like if all three very much improve it won’t move the dial much.

But the chaos of a stock market crash. And linking how poorer you feel in your pocket because of it, that could move the dial. A lot of blue on blue as discipline breaks down, could also move the dial.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

They won't empathise, precisely because they are so fucking autistic. Listen to them, already
    Anyone who's ever shown any interest in, say, constituency boundaries is probably at least slightly autistic by definition. I've tried talking about things like that with people who aren't and they lose interest after about 3 seconds, unsurprisingly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

More that Asperger's isn't a term really used in clinical terms; it was merged into ASD for diagnostic purposes a few years ago I think.

Except that there are these people called "Aspies" who PREFER to identify as Asperger's as they believe the old category suits their character traits better. Musk is clearly an Aspie. Good luck to him

If he so wishes to identify, who the fuck has the right to say NO? Honestly. Lefties. They drive me insane
    I wasn't saying no?
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I see Tom Hayes, the convicted LIBOR trader sentenced to 14 years, was aspergers.

Now it seems a US Court has ruled he was guilty of no crime on the law at the time and it is going to the Appeal Court here after he was recently released from jail. David Davis has also raised the case in Parliament
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,277
    Osborne's former chief of staff is running for Tories for Bicester & woodstock.

Rupert Harrison
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

To avoid disturbing residential areas I assume. It's slightly different in Australia where everything is more spread out, even if in a city centre.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Time for oldies to have their ovaltine.

Did anyone else notice, Manic Street Preachers at Glastonbury looked younger and fitter than they did in the nineties.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?
    Hmm. Fair enough. But others were

How dare they say what Musk admits about himself is "profoundly unhelpful" simply because it doesn't fit some new diagnostic criteria which are:

1. controversial, and

2. rejected by many actually autistic people and

3. likely to be changed again in time, as they always are?

If someone came to you and said "I have cancer" but they used the wrong technical word for their tumour would you criticise them? How about starting off with "that's brave of you to admit, can't be easy"

Jeez Louise
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,087
    Ghedebrav said:

Ghedebrav said:

I assume it's cos it's been built off Instagram, which has never had a great search functionality.

Mastodon was utterly baffling to me and tbh if I have to spend more than five minutes figuring it out I'm not going to use it.
    Mastodon is, to me, a series of small islands with some incidental chit chat at the harbours. The Indonesia of social media, in a sense.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

And there is massive controvery in autist-land over the removal of these terms: Asperger's, high functioning, etc
    Don't call me a dipshit. I don't identify as such.
    Glad to see you defend someone's choice to self identify in the teeth of medical opinion.
    Imho. As a professional working in the area, ADHD is under diagnosed. And ASD over. Like anxiety and depression a few years back. Similarly, the two are often
    overlapping and can be confused.
  • Options

Rupert Harrison

Is he up against a sitting MP?
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

You do realise that your deadpan commentary about the Duke of Sauchiehall conferring the Rings of Power on Our Sovereign Lord yesterday puts you front and centre here?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Anyone who's ever shown any interest in, say, constituency boundaries is probably at least slightly autistic by definition. I've tried talking about things like that with people who aren't and they lose interest after about 3 seconds, unsurprisingly.
    I sometimes think I am the only non autistic person on here, with the possible exception of @TSE and @Dura_Ace

However the former has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and the latter is Psychotic

I myself am Alcoholic, Pathologically Exhibitionist and obviously Bipolar. You're welcome
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,398
    Robert Jendrick is a heartless cxxt .

Just how fucking soulless can you be to order the painting over a mural for children.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

How dare they say what Musk admits about himself is "profoundly unhelpful" simply because it doesn't fit some new diagnostic criteria which are:

1. controversial, and

If someone came to you and said "I have cancer" but they used the wrong technical word for their tumour would you criticise them? How about starting off with "that's brave of you to admit, can't be easy"

Jeez Louise
    Entirely unrelated, but I meant to mention it in previous thread :

https://arxiv.org/abs/2307.02486

"Our work opens up new possibilities for modelling very long sequences, e.g., treating a whole corpus or even the entire Internet as a sequence."

As in, GPT4 can handle 30k or so words, now we can handle 1bn. In one second.

• Options
    Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

You do realise that your deadpan commentary about the Duke of Sauchiehall conferring the Rings of Power on Our Sovereign Lord yesterday puts you front and centre here?
    I believe he does know this, which is one reason I have a liking for @HYUFD

He can drive you insane, but he is absolutely self aware. And sharp
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

It's a spectrum. Which is why ASD is a better term. I would sink 12 pints discussing Boundary Reform with you and love it.
    But I'm not autistic. I can't sit still. Which is why I force myself to meditate every day. I'm hugely impulsive, such that I'd lived on three continents between ages of 18-26. But I don't have ADHD.
    The key word in both is Disorder.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,382
    Well.

• Options
    edited July 2023

Rupert Harrison

An increasingly rare exception. Even most Tory MPs are now ex councillors or Mayors, selected to be local champions rather than reaching the top of their careers or even being top SPADs before selection

https://conservativehome.com/2023/07/06/do-we-really-want-our-mps-to-be-local-councillors/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,671
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Can I have a full list of characteristics I am allowed to identify as, and those which are prohibited?

For example, I would suggest that you should not be allowed to self ID as female, or a lizard or a Tory.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same argument as self identifying as trans.
    As I'm sure su ch a steadfast logician as yourself will recognise.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    HYUFD said:

Except that the polling report seats I’m flagging here is a uniform swing model, zero tactical built into it.

And as Mike flagged in the previous thread, head, for Labour to get anything like 355 is Starmer taking more Con seats next year than Blair managed in 1997. So Sunak can return more MPs than Major, but lose more to Labour than Major. If you had to choose only one of the two definitions of a horrible night, I guess it would be the second, leaving less ground to make up?
  • Options
    Seeing as I seem to be on an off-topic roll, I came across this slight curio on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nuf-402VpRs&t=2075s

Canadian TV show with R. D Laing giving them a tour of his (mid 1970s version) hometown of Glasgow. Sound and video are a bit ropey at the start - but.. I'll take it.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

AIUI, the Mermaids/LGBA decision was very simple: Mermaids has no standing to bring a case, because it cannot demonstrate how it is harmed by LGBA being charity status.
    There is more to the judgment than that. The reasons why they were not "affected" have wide implications and link into the Miller ruling and our approach to "hate" crimes and even "hate" non-crimes. Those reasons say much about what pluralism in a free society means and should be considered carefully by more than just the immediate parties to the litigation.

• Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Glad to see you defend someone's choice to self identify in the teeth of medical opinion.
    Imho. As a professional working in the area, ADHD is under diagnosed. And ASD over. Like anxiety and depression a few years back. Similarly, the two are often
    Fair enough. But this issue makes me personally angry

Probably because a very close relative of mine has recently been officially diagnosed as ASD and this person was told "we would once have diagnosed you as Aspie, and high functioning, but this is no longer officially allowed even though we think it useful", then this person went away and read up on all of it and decided "fuck yeah, I'm Aspie": - ie: high functioning, socially awkward, doesn't need much or any help with daily living, but has real and grave problems in certain situations, highly intelligent etc

This person, close to me, has self identified as Aspie and it brings this person a lot of consolation - and also practical assistance: because this person now reaches out to other self-identified "Aspies" and finds common ground, AND a social network. And Elon Musk is therefore a bit of an inspiration. The richest-ish man in the world says he's Aspie. Yay

Good luck to them all
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I sometimes think I am the only non autistic person on here, with the possible exception of @TSE and @Dura_Ace

However the former has Narcissistic Personality Disorder and the latter is Psychotic

I myself am Alcoholic, Pathologically Exhibitionist and obviously Bipolar. You're welcome
    I'm not autistic.
    I've been tested.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,252

2-1 in sets to British hero Murray! :lol:

Play suspended for the night.
    Only one set away from being British hero Murray.
    Or two sets away from possibly being Scottish failure Murray.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I'm not autistic.
    I've been tested.
    Apologies to Sheldon Cooper.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,804
    Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’m in Boston, MA for a few days for the first time since 2019. Certainly a lot more vacant lots than before the pandemic, as everywhere, but can’t see any signs of Leon’s urban dystopia. Still a great city.

Are you going elsewhere in the US apart from Boston?
    New Haven, where the wife’s from
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,587

Pulpstar said:

Did anyone else notice, Manic Street Preachers at Glastonbury looked younger and fitter than they did in the nineties.
    Richy Edwards, unfortunately, not.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,596
    edited July 2023
    Off topic, for Dr. Foxy, and probably others: "When the doctor unexpectedly becomes the patient"

A regular columnist at the Washington Post, Dr. Leanna Wen, tells what happened to her:
    "Two weeks ago, something terrifying happened. I went to bed Sunday evening feeling fine, then woke up Monday morning gasping and with pressure across my chest. No matter how fast I breathed, I felt as though I couldn’t get enough air.

The days that followed were a serious wake-up call: Though I’m trained as an emergency physician, I wasn’t prepared to be on the other end of the stethoscope. It’s a reminder that no one — even healthy people — should let their guard down."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/07/05/health-care-emergency-room-hospitalization/

Wen admits she did not react as rationally as she should have (with her oxygen level as low as it was (80%), that doesn't surprise me), and was not an ideal patient.

The good news is that her case of pneumonia was cured quickly with antibiotics.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I believe he does know this, which is one reason I have a liking for @HYUFD

He can drive you insane, but he is absolutely self aware. And sharp
    "Let me put it this way, Mr. Leon. The HYUFD series is the most reliable computer ever made. No HYUFD computer has ever made a mistake or distorted information. We are all, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error!"
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,780
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Oh no, Andy JS. Don't say that. People who are interested in constituency boundaries are usually interested as well in voting systems, and they are the most interesting people around.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Autistic as well, given your obsessions with Twitter, AI and UAPs!
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’m in Boston, MA for a few days for the first time since 2019. Certainly a lot more vacant lots than before the pandemic, as everywhere, but can’t see any signs of Leon’s urban dystopia. Still a great city.

lol. Well, with luck, you should be able to avoid the total dystopia of Tranq zombies wandering the empty blocks. In Connecticut, the 6th richest state in the Union
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Well.

25% claim they are undecided. No surprise,

There are many people in parts of Yorkshire who will never vote Labour under any circumstances. It’s part of their DNA. they don’t even call them Labour, they call them the socialists, like the Soviet Union was.

This is where I keep explaining, Labours great polling helps the Tories. These people incapable of voting Labour could cast a protest vote for Lib Dem’s. But never for Labour.

Labours high polling and libdems low polling currently could put the LLG 60% total in the wrong piles to make a big difference come by elections and the GE.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,042
    Sneaky from Meta: if you install Threads, it puts a badge on your Instagram profile to say that you're the 34532532432532th person to sign up for Threads.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

lol. Well, with luck, you should be able to avoid the total dystopia of Tranq zombies wandering the empty blocks. In Connecticut, the 6th richest state in the Union
    I’ll bear it in mind
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,315
    edited July 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Whilst it is a spectrum, and self diagnosis will see many people think they are on it when not, I think it devalues things to assume any niche, usually nerdy hobby, is indicative of autism.

I don't think if done in good humour we need get precious about being labelled as aspies or something though. I'd just prefer to be called an anorak. Describing as being a bit OCD seems more common as a self label though.

The thing that started this about Musk I think was addressed pretty quickly - he may be super smart, but even super smart people can be super dumb about other things (irrespective of whether they are on the spectrum or not). Their very self-confidence, due to be so smart, can lead them to say titanically dumb things.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

To avoid disturbing residential areas I assume. It's slightly different in Australia where everything is more spread out, even if in a city centre.
    I don't know why pop concerts have to start so late on a Saturday, after 8pm when the main gig started.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’ll bear it in mind
    You've just come from the 2nd richest state. Massachausetts. It is not surprising you are managing to elude the Apocalypse

It's like going to Cambridge and then a leafy bit of Surrey and saying Britain is "doing fine"
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pulpstar said:

Richy Edwards, unfortunately, not.
    I saw an interview with the band, and they were angry with how he did it. His body has never been recovered. His family in particular, but friends too have never had closure. Bodies were found in the Bristols Estuary, with could it be him, bringing back all the emotions, to not be him. And no closure. It is very sad.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’ll bear it in mind
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’ll bear it in mind
    You've just come from the 2nd richest state. Massachausetts. It is not surprising you are managing to elude the Apocalypse

It's like going to Cambridge and then a leafy bit of Surrey and saying Britain is "doing fine"
    We’re off to Gary, Indiana after that. Will report.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Probably because a very close relative of mine has recently been officially diagnosed as ASD and this person was told "we would once have diagnosed you as Aspie, and high functioning, but this is no longer officially allowed even though we think it useful", then this person went away and read up on all of it and decided "fuck yeah, I'm Aspie": - ie: high functioning, socially awkward, doesn't need much or any help with daily living, but has real and grave problems in certain situations, highly intelligent etc

This person, close to me, has self identified as Aspie and it brings this person a lot of consolation - and also practical assistance: because this person now reaches out to other self-identified "Aspies" and finds common ground, AND a social network. And Elon Musk is therefore a bit of an inspiration. The richest-ish man in the world says he's Aspie. Yay

Good luck to them all
    And that is all super. Brilliant. I rejoice if there is comfort there.
    But we don't differentiate between cancer sufferers who are super bright, and eat properly and go to therapy and adopt a positive mindset, and those who sink into a depression about it, do we?
    It really isn't political.
    I am working one to one with a kid who would have been diagnosed as Aspie. He's super bright. Way ahead of his mainstream cohort in English. Quite a long way ahead in Maths. Really nice and pleasant. A lovely, charismatic kid who wishes no-one any harm. He's also extremely employable cos he's got madly creative computer animation skills.
    Except
    When he gets dysregulated, he takes off all his clothes and urinates in public.
    Is he part of the Aspie subset or not?
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’ll bear it in mind

According to your good self “We have Brexited, rejoice!”. Surely everything is fine back home?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't know why pop concerts have to start so late on a Saturday, after 8pm when the main gig started.
    To give us and the band plenty of time to tank up.

I think Lana Del Ray was on LSD before her Glastonbury gig. She looked okay, but wasn’t delivering all her lines. It was very odd.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’ll bear it in mind
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

DougSeal said:

I’ll bear it in mind

We’re off to Gary, Indiana after that. Will report.
    That's fair. Gary should be very different. I'll be sincerely interested in what you find

Because I am finding it genuinely hard to reconcile what I have recently seen in the USA with the economic stats which tell me America is THRIVING (relatively)

I get that you can be unlucky, but i was "unlucky" in town after town after town, and this added to earlier experiences (eg the empty downtown of Denver)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Rupert Harrison

An increasingly rare exception. Even most Tory MPs are now ex councillors or Mayors, selected to be local champions rather than reaching the top of their careers or even being top SPADs before selection

https://conservativehome.com/2023/07/06/do-we-really-want-our-mps-to-be-local-councillors/
    Interesting. Is the day of the SPad over?

On should councillors be MPs, there are many would make fantasitc MPs. My worry is the ones who will get chosen are not those, since the better councillors are markedly less partisan than MPs - if for no reason other than even in a majority controlled council you probably do have plenty in common with the opposition, since you will be united a lot of the time in complaining about central government, whoever is in power.

Whereas the councillors who are super ambitious and see it as a stepping stone to become an MP, well, they are a different breed. And the point about local interests trumping national ones is a good one - MPs do have to do both, and there will be a balance for each of them, but ultimately it is the national ruling body, the balance has probably tilted too much in my view to listening to any NIMBY or malcontent and screw any national issue.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Good luck to them all
    But we don't differentiate between cancer sufferers who are super bright, and eat properly and go to therapy and adopt a positive mindset, and those who sink into a depression about it, do we?
    I am working one to one with a kid who would have been diagnosed as Aspie. He's super bright. Way ahead of his mainstream cohort in English. Quite a long way ahead in Maths. Really nice and pleasant. A lovely, charismatic kid who wishes no-one any harm. He's also extremely employable cos he's got madly creative computer animation skills.
    Except
    I've no idea. Impossible to say at this distance
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,407

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

An issue is that often acts appear somewhat later than the billed time.

Even in London, a 11pm or even 10.30 finish mean that many fans have to leave early so they can get home. If you know the act is going to start on time and finish say 10pm it makes planning the evening and getting home having seen the whole show do so much easier.
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    I know a fair few actually-diagnosed high functioning autistic people. Musk ticks all the boxes. Newton and Einstein were, it is thought, high functioning autistics

I also wonder about Gerard Manley Hopkins. Tremendous intelligent and an incredible focused talent. Genius. Yet apparently hopelessly awkward in society and prone to saying weird things and making terrible faux pas
    Firstly, thank you for a politer answer than my sarky response deserved.

Secondly, we are never going to agree on this. I am perfectly willing to believe in the existence of autism, but the medical paradigm should be limited to those who are significantly (life-changing) affected by it. Widening the definition to people who can cope well in normal life but just feel a bit off isn't a good idea:

For the medical paradigm to be useful it must meet certain criteria (can you diagnose it, can you measure the difference between the sick and the well, is the phenomenon a problem, and so on). What you refer to as high-functioning autisistic spectrum disorder doesn't really meet these criteria on a least one basic criteria (does the patient want to be cured) and more fittingly should be categorised as within normal (Gaussian, not acceptable) human variation.

I do however note your later (and previous) insistence that as you have a friend who feels better by identifying as an Aspie, then it is legitimate. God forbid I should ever disagree with the fads and fancies of the rich, but having an identity that makes you feel better is not the same as a disease and shouldn't be treated as such
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

rcs1000 said:

I decided this was sufficiently insightful and have therefore decided to repost it:

There is a huge incumbency "bonus" for any social media platform. There are users, and an audience, and people post there already.

It is therefore extremely hard to replace an app with something essentially identical. I mean, what's the incentive to jump, as you lose all your followers, and you can't necessarily see all the things you used to.

Now, that's not to say that changes don't happen: whatever happened to Friends Reunited? Or MySpace? Or Flickr?

But they typically happen because someone else comes up with a better, different app, and people migrate because there is some feature that is missing.

Threads fails - for now - because it doesn't really offer anything particularly new.

That said... who on here pays for Twitter?

Because right now, the site is caught in limbo. It has massive debts. It's struggling to make new monetisation work. It's become a hotbed of IP theft (best place to stream pirated movies!). And Musk is stuck in a mindset where he's trying to cut costs to reach profitability, and that's making his systems less reliable.

So, what happens?

Hard to say, but there's a reason why Twitter debt trades at 50 cents in the dollar, and Fidelity has written down the value of its stake by two thirds.

I have given up on Twitter since it became pay to play. I have a moderate but not insignificant (four figure) number of followers, but since Musk started downgrading the visibility of anyone who hasn't paid for a blue tick, I get pretty much zero engagement.

It's gone from being a fairly lively place to share ideas and opinions to being completely dead. Now you could argue I should just pay the eight bucks or whatever it is a month but the problem isn't just me, the problem is it's also downgrading the visibility of a lot of other people I used to follow, thus making the platform less valuable.

Imagine if PB charged a $8 a month fee, I'd probably pay it as I enjoy the site (heck, I do donate when the paypal button goes up). But imagine if it also bunged interesting and insightful posts from some of my favourite posters down the bottom of the page because they haven't paid the $8 a month fee, and upgraded the site's shitposters jus because they have paid. That is twitter now, and that it is why it is not worth the eight bucks.
    Whoa, hold on - most of us are not charged $8 per month already?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

These have been very watchable cricket matches, full of exciting momentum swings. I was wrong, I thought the pitch would be deader from the start and not swinging as much. England bowled very well. Come Sunday it may look like their rubbish catching day 1 may have cost them the match, if it’s a 60 run or less loss.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    I know a fair few actually-diagnosed high functioning autistic people. Musk ticks all the boxes. Newton and Einstein were, it is thought, high functioning autistics

I also wonder about Gerard Manley Hopkins. Tremendous intelligent and an incredible focused talent. Genius. Yet apparently hopelessly awkward in society and prone to saying weird things and making terrible faux pas
    Firstly, thank you for a politer answer than my sarky response deserved.

Secondly, we are never going to agree on this. I am perfectly willing to believe in the existence of autism, but the medical paradigm should be limited to those who are significantly (life-changing) affected by it. Widening the definition to people who can cope well in normal life but just feel a bit off isn't a good idea:

For the medical paradigm to be useful it must meet certain criteria (can you diagnose it, can you measure the difference between the sick and the well, is the phenomenon a problem, and so on). What you refer to as high-functioning autisistic spectrum disorder doesn't really meet these criteria on a least one basic criteria (does the patient want to be cured) and more fittingly should be categorised as within normal (Gaussian, not acceptable) human variation.

I do however note your later (and previous) insistence that as you have a friend who feels better by identifying as an Aspie, then it is legitimate. God forbid I should ever disagree with the fads and fancies of the rich, but having an identity that makes you feel better is not the same as a disease and shouldn't be treated as such
    No. This person has a deeply significant handicap in social situations, it is not some "fad for the rich"

I shall refrain from further comment else I lose my temper
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    If autism is not a lifestyle choice then the diagnosis should not be widened to include people who wish to adopt it just to feel validated. Which was the point I was making.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 16,132
    Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

For Leon it is . . . or some reason . . .
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

I wasn't saying no?

1. controversial, and

Jeez Louise
    Precisely the same a
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY

Spectrum Disorder.

Good luck to them all
    Except
    I've no idea. Impossible to say at this distance
    Precisely. Because Asperger's was a way of defining certain autistic people within thethparameters of acceptability in a Neurotypical society.

If he holds down a job that's great.
    Pisses on the floor not.
    Earns money for the company. Super.
    Sits at home too anxious to leave his home. Benefit scrounger.
    Sometimes the latter two can exist simultaneously. Great.
    Not great at computing. Bad.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,343
    HYUFD said:

Don't worry. The full dire extent will sink in after a few weeks of the tedious leadership of Keir Starmer. If the Tories do lose the next GE, they won't have lost to Harold Wilson, Tony Blair, or even Clement Atlee.

They'll have lost to Keir Starmer. That will hurt.
  • Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    viewcode said:

Miklosvar said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

FTFY
    If autism is not a lifestyle choice then the diagnosis should not be widened to include people who wish to adopt it just to feel validated. Which was the point I was making.
    How do you know that is what Musk is doing?
This discussion has been closed.