Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Time is running out for Rishi to turn this round – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 2023 in General
imageTime is running out for Rishi to turn this round – politicalbetting.com

We are now seeing quite a lot of polls with the Tories 20% or more behind Labour and, of course, time is running out.

Read the full story here

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    His chance of a turn around is about as likely as England turning around the Ashes....
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    A year to fulfil his five pledges.

Unlikely.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited June 2023

His chance of a turn around is about as likely as England turning around the Ashes....

Luck and the weather give them at least a slither of a chance. Neither will fall in Rishi's favour.

He needed to have closed the gap a bit by now, not just stop the fall. As it is the odds are more in favour of things moving against him, not toward him, given how much pain is still to come.
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,759
    We deserve better, and from both major parties.

I think we might get better if we stopped fluffing our politicians with pet names. Let’s go back to the days of Wilson, Heath and Thatcher and start referring to them as Sunak and Johnson.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    FPT - from previous thread - why do you do this to me?

Evening all :)

Another busy day - I see my observations on the first hour of the cricket turned out to be valid.

I'd also make the same point about tomorrow - we had a torrid first hour today, I suspect it'll be the Australian's turn tomorrow. Two or three quick wickets and especially if we can keep the target below 300 and we'll have a sniff but we'll need to go back to batting the Boycott way and not the Bazball way.

Looking at the usual rush of mid to end of week polls. Savanta will no doubt have encouraged some Conservatives - it looks on its own but I've not yet seen the tables so I'll take more of a view after that.

Techne has the Conservatives down a couple of points but it's all MoE - among the 65+ age group, the Conservative lead is seven (41-34) down from 47 at the 2019 election so that's a 20% swing. The 2016 LEAVE voters still have the Conservatives ahead 48-27 so that's an 18.5% swing among LEAVE voters from 2016.

Omnisis have MoE moves as well - the supplementaries aren't too bad for Sunak - again we wait the detailed tabs.

I suspect we'll see a slight but gradual improvement in Conservative VI through the summer - people generally are more mellow before and after their holidays but we are now 42 months into the Parliament so notions of mid term are moving behind us. Time is running out in every sense - the next challenge will be July 20th (not trying to be Valkyrist here). MY assumption is holding any of the three seats will be seen by the Conservatives as a success - IF all three are lost and are lost badly, the question is whether that will produce a response in the Conservative Parliamentary Party.

That in turn pre-supposes if there is any fight left in Tory MPs or whether they are in effect resigned to defeat at the next election. I'm sure there will be plenty of defiance in forums like this and on Twitter and elsewhere but there comes a point when "sauve qui peut" takes over.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

Even less likely than that. He has absolutely no chance, whereas England could just about conceivably win the next three tests (c. 100-1).

Even less likely than that. He has absolutely no chance, whereas England could just about conceivably win the next three tests (c. 100-1).
    Checks Winviz, says Rishi has 99% chance of winning....
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    kle4 said:

Luck and the weather give them at least a slither of a chance. Neither will fall in Rishi's favour.

He needed to have closed the gap a bit by now, not just stop the fall. As it is the odds are more in favour of things moving against him, not toward him, given how much pain is still to come.
    He's just a kind of caretaker manager, isn't he?

He's just keeping an eye on things until the new management arrives. Shouldn't be more than about sixteen months.

I think we might get better if we stopped fluffing our politicians with pet names. Let’s go back to the days of Wilson, Heath and Thatcher and start referring to them as Sunak and Johnson.

The idea 'pet names' have any inherently positive, or fluffling, impact whatsoever is one of the more baffling ideas that will never die.

And we both do and do not deserve better. We reward them for bad behaviours, and for misleading us, and we egg on partisanship and simplistic solutions like the reform fairy. But they are our leaders, and they could make an effort to do better.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,705

Bit worrying if he's relying on help from the weather.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    edited June 2023

But “Maggie”. She started it.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    stodge said:

FPT - from previous thread - why do you do this to me?

Evening all :)

Another busy day - I see my observations on the first hour of the cricket turned out to be valid.

I'd also make the same point about tomorrow - we had a torrid first hour today, I suspect it'll be the Australian's turn tomorrow. Two or three quick wickets and especially if we can keep the target below 300 and we'll have a sniff but we'll need to go back to batting the Boycott way and not the Bazball way.

Looking at the usual rush of mid to end of week polls. Savanta will no doubt have encouraged some Conservatives - it looks on its own but I've not yet seen the tables so I'll take more of a view after that.

Techne has the Conservatives down a couple of points but it's all MoE - among the 65+ age group, the Conservative lead is seven (41-34) down from 47 at the 2019 election so that's a 20% swing. The 2016 LEAVE voters still have the Conservatives ahead 48-27 so that's an 18.5% swing among LEAVE voters from 2016.

Omnisis have MoE moves as well - the supplementaries aren't too bad for Sunak - again we wait the detailed tabs.

I suspect we'll see a slight but gradual improvement in Conservative VI through the summer - people generally are more mellow before and after their holidays but we are now 42 months into the Parliament so notions of mid term are moving behind us. Time is running out in every sense - the next challenge will be July 20th (not trying to be Valkyrist here). MY assumption is holding any of the three seats will be seen by the Conservatives as a success - IF all three are lost and are lost badly, the question is whether that will produce a response in the Conservative Parliamentary Party.

That in turn pre-supposes if there is any fight left in Tory MPs or whether they are in effect resigned to defeat at the next election. I'm sure there will be plenty of defiance in forums like this and on Twitter and elsewhere but there comes a point when "sauve qui peut" takes over.

One leg of sauve qui peut is happening already, with the growing number of Conservative MPs deciding to get at the front of the queue in the Job Centre. The other is what happened in 1997, when individual Conservative MPs decide to gloss the manifesto in ways that they think their voters will like, but the PM won't. (See the Euro under Major.) That could get very ugly indeed.

But even if there was a collective will to do something, what could Conservative MPs do to reset the conversation? The five priorities were meant to do that, and they're going really badly.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Labour = Australia
    Tories = England
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

Labour = Australia
    Tories = England
    Except the Tories have won the last 4 general elections.

The last 4 Ashes series are Australia 2 wins, England 1 win and a draw
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,037
    TimS said:

Sunny Jim, Supermac, Winston...

Some of us have long memories.

TimS said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom

Duke of Newcastle - Hubble-Bubble?
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,759

TimS said:

Nobody called Callaghan Sunny Jim.

TimS said:

The No.10 website claims they did, but I don't trust them

https://web.archive.org/web/20111216134932/http://www.number10.gov.uk/history-and-tour/james-callaghan-2/
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    TimS said:

Dizzy demurs. Pam protests. And Winston winks.

As an aside, had a drink this evening with an ex-colleague who now works in a Planning department. He argued there was widespread ignorance of how the planning and development function operated.

Any sensible developer engages the Planning department at a very early stage and the process of submitting a development involves a number of meetings and iterations of schemes before something is agreed - this means an application which the Officer can recommend for approval.

Very often, astute developers will hold pre-application public meetings at which the locals will be informed of the thinking and asked to input to the plans - this teases out potential areas of objection before any application is submitted.

The problem is a good overall application can be wrecked by one or two small details and what happens is local objectors take to social media and form an "Action Group" (often with no legal basis like a Residents' Association) and proceed to use social media to build up a head of steam against the overall application and this can target local Councillors who feel politically intimidated into supporting the residents against the proposal).

My former colleague then said a perfectly good application will then be rejected for no other reason than targeted political pressure. His experience was most people weren't dyed-in-the-wool NIMBYs by any stretch - some were concerned about densities, being overlooked and in the case of larger applications, the impact on local amenities and infrastructures all of which were reasonable concerns.

The developer may try to meet these concerns but reducing the number of dwellings and/or making additional local provision compromises the profitability of the site. Some of the big boys can carry loss leading sites but most can't or won't. The objection to the Secretary of State is very often at the point when the line between viability and meeting local concern becomes unbridgeable.

The aspect my former colleague was most concerned about was the impact of social media which he claimed radicalised and polarised opinion pushing individuals into ever more extreme positions.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited June 2023

TimS said:

Sailor Ted.

Edit - Radical Joe, the Goat, Dizzy, Mr G...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

TimS said:

If I ever get banned I just want the mods to know I’m going to try and come back as “The Turf Macaroni” a la the Duke of Grafton

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nicknames_of_prime_ministers_of_the_United_Kingdom
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Sailor Ted.

Radical Joe > Pushful Joe
    HYUFD said:

Labour = Australia
    Tories = England

Whoosh…

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Sailor Ted.

Radical Joe > Pushful Joe
    The Chamberlains of course are an interesting example of politicians who were commonly known by their first names, because there were so many of them.
    HYUFD said:

Labour = Australia
    Tories = England

Give it a week.
    DougSeal said:

TimS said:

If I ever get banned I just want the mods to know I’m going to try and come back as “The Turf Macaroni” a la the Duke of Grafton

The Sledgehammer for me. Better than H H Asquith's other purported nickname - squiffy.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Ozempic is weird but effective
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761

TimS said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2005/mar/28/uk.labour
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Leon said:

Did you just buy the starter pack, or are you all in?
    My tutor just sent back my essay and said I had an original idea. First of my life. If you see dogs and cats lying together you’ll know the end times are here. Doug Seal has risen above the middlebrow!
    edited June 2023
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

All in. Started on 0.5. Insanely expensive*

I briefly felt a little nauseous yesterday - day 2 - but nowt else. Fine otherwise

Today I got the first "positive" effects. My appetite has simple dropped away. You stop thinking about food and you feel full very quickly when you do eat. Just has Coquille St Jacques and a green salad, first and only meal of the day. Feel sated

*will be worth it, alone, if it reduces my crazily spendy wine habit
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

I briefly felt a little nauseous yesterday - day 2 - but nowt else. Fine otherwise

Today I got the first "positive" effects. My appetite has simple dropped away. You stop thinking about food and you feel full very quickly when you do eat. Just has Coquille St Jacques and a green salad, first and only meal of the day. Feel sated

I had to Google it. Do you need it or are you taking it recreationally? I picture you as some rakishly rake thin.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

I had to Google it. Do you need it or are you taking it recreationally? I picture you as some rakishly rake thin.
    I'm a little chunky. Could easily lose 10-12 pounds I put on in lockdown and just won't sod off. But I'm not obese and I don't really need it - so it is vanity, but it is also curiosity

These drugs could be revolutionary if they work. The NHS could save tens of billions if we can abolish severe overwight and obesity with mere pills and jabs (which will come down in price sharply and shortly)
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,056
    FPT @Carnyx
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

Very hard to induce real scares with mere words...

Charlotte Perkins Gilman's "The Yellow Wall-Paper" is psychological horror, presumably not scary enough for 2023, but interesting nonetheless. The text is here.

Neal Shusterman's "Unwind" is a YA novel (I haven't read it, just the online excerpt) which isn't scary but does have an unsettling passage when a character is unwound, and the table keeps getting smaller... Here is the text.

Nicholas DiChario’s “The Winterberry”. It helps if you don't know who the person is, although it is obvious. Here is the text..

Patricia Highsmith's “The Quest for ‘Blank Claveringi’” is a horror story about giant snails, that got to me as a child. The snails are slow, but the island is small and you have to sleep sometime... I don't know what I'd think of it now and I don't have the text.
    Internet Archive (as so often) is your friend - in this case one of the 'borrowable' works rather than the ones permanently available/downloadable to keep.

https://archive.org/details/snailwatcherothe0000high
    Damn. Firstly thank you for being so kind. Secondly, it's a scary story and I remember the ending from last time... :(
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

I'm a little chunky. Could easily lose 10-12 pounds I put on in lockdown and just won't sod off. But I'm not obese and I don't really need it - so it is vanity, but it is also curiosity

These drugs could be revolutionary if they work. The NHS could save tens of billions if we can abolish severe overwight and obesity with mere pills and jabs (which will come down in price sharply and shortly)
    Side effects include constipation, diarrhoea and a general sense of nausea.

That's just too much comedic material for a Friday evening...
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Leon said:

Has it kept you har...

Oh hold on, wrong tablets 😆
    stodge said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Constipation and diarrhoea? What, simultaneously, or do they take turns!?
  • FossFoss Posts: 894

stodge said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Paradoxical constipation is the worst of both worlds...

stodge said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sounds like the time I got food poisoning after eating at an all you can eat Chinese buffet....
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,761
    edited June 2023

stodge said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Diarrhoea and nausea is a bad combination, unless the toilet is next to the basin.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

stodge said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Diarrhoea and nausea isa bad combination, unless the toilet is next to the basin.
    Or unless you're extremely flexible.

stodge said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sounds like the time I got food poisoning after eating at an all you can eat Chinese buffet....
    I'm sorry - was it the "all you can eat" bit that caused the problem?
    Some really quite horrifying imagery coming out of France

Macron will need to crack down hard, Marine Le Pen edges closer to victory, next time, with every burnt car, train, pharmacy, library, every injured priest and every shattered town
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

Macron will need to crack down hard, Marine Le Pen edges closer to victory, next time, with every burnt car, train, pharmacy, library, every injured priest and every shattered town

The level of violence really is another level of lawlessness. Macron going to see Elton John while France burns really was quite incredible.

Mbappe just tweeted calling for calm (it was a very sensible statement), but i don't think its going to have any effect.
    Some of you may know of the nitters, twitter mirrors that can be used to bypass twitter login details. Nitter.cz has put up this sign.

"...Nitter.cz is not working, just like all other Nitter instances. The reason is Twitter blocking all access to it's content without login.

We are sorry, but there is nothing we can do about it right now and we are not sure if the situation will change in the future.

Don't trust corporations, especially those where one egomaniac has all the power. Use open-source and community driven solutions if you can (like Mastodon).

Sincerely, NoLog.cz collective

PS: You can also donate to us to keep our other services running..."
  • Leon said:

Le Pen is routinely overegged on this site, only thing that rivals how much HYUFD pushes ReFUK or whatever they're called now.

She is never getting anywhere other than significant loser in the second round. Thank goodness.
    If you're going to drive into a French shopping centre to loot it, why choose..... Lidl?

https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1674678830190002177?s=20
  • Leon said:

If you're going to drive into a French shopping centre to loot it, why choose..... Lidl?

Reminds me of the London riots years ago, there was an image of shop after shop with windows smashed and looted and in the middle, untouched and pristine with no damage to their glass or anything else . . . Waterstones.
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

They heard the middle aisle was particularly good at the moment. They also did McDonald's and Five Guys

Obviously the mob have since done Louis Vuitton, high end car and motorbike dealerships, etc etc etc
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Leon said:

Be fair. Middle of Lidl is brilliant. And this store appears to be selling sports cars.
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

Reminds me of the London riots years ago, there was an image of shop after shop with windows smashed and looted and in the middle, untouched and pristine with no damage to their glass or anything else . . . Waterstones.
    Where as every JD Sports got done over.

Leon said:

The level of violence really is another level of lawlessness. Macron going to see Elton John while France burns really was quite incredible.

Mbappe just tweeted calling for calm (it was a very sensible statement), but i don't think its going to have any effect.
    Good job Letour starts in Spain tomorrow.
    edited June 2023
    Is France ungovernable? Macron agenda is hardly radical yet he has faced constant riots.

Leon said:

Le Pen is routinely overegged on this site, only thing that rivals how much HYUFD pushes ReFUK or whatever they're called now.

She is never getting anywhere other than significant loser in the second round. Thank goodness.
    I'm really not so sure this time. Some of the videos. Jesus. Like this, if it is real

NSFW:

"Say it loud and say it clear …
    🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓
    Rioters beat up and cut off the hand of a French citizen, who tried to prevent his car from being burned. 😢 "

https://twitter.com/MarothiNagel/status/1674869365739511839/video/1

https://twitter.com/Tish000238142/status/1674895143059484672?s=20
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

Her solution seems to be more conflict with the banlieues. More powers to shoot folk, and fewer job opportunities for the residents of the most disadvantaged areas isn't going to work.
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Good job Letour starts in Spain tomorrow.
    Maybe they should just morph it into La Vuelta.
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm really not so sure this time. Some of the videos. Jesus. Like this, if it is real

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓
    Rioters beat up and cut off the hand of a French citizen, who tried to prevent his car from being burned. 😢 "

Its France. They have riots. What else is new?

The French rioting is up there with American school shootings or England collapsing as a dog bites man story. Some things never change.

Leon said:

She got 41% in the last presidential, a fair old increase from 34% the previous time, and her party increased from 8 seats to 89. Pretty good, all things considered.

But it remains pretty hard to see how she can go beyond that point - presumably she'd need just the right opponent to get through to the second round with her, and she only got through to the second round by like 1% in 2017 and 3% in 2022, it's not exactly impossible she doesn't make it next time if she goes again.

Leon said:

Leon said:

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓

The French rioting is up there with American school shootings or England collapsing as a dog bites man story. Some things never change.
    I remember some breathless excitement that Macron was facing real trouble over his pension reforms, as the protests weren't going away. Until they went away, seemingly.
    viewcode said:

Some of you may know of the nitters, twitter mirrors that can be used to bypass twitter login details. Nitter.cz has put up this sign.

"...Nitter.cz is not working, just like all other Nitter instances. The reason is Twitter blocking all access to it's content without login.

We are sorry, but there is nothing we can do about it right now and we are not sure if the situation will change in the future.

Don't trust corporations, especially those where one egomaniac has all the power. Use open-source and community driven solutions if you can (like Mastodon).

And the 12ft ladder has also stopped working. Ouch
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

And the 12ft ladder has also stopped working. Ouch
    Given the above, will those who post links to twitter please also copy the summary text at the beginning so we can get a flavor
  • Leon said:

Be fair to Macron, when else is he supposed to see Elton John?

He's used to France burning by now.
    For all those considering the impacts of the French riots with respect to the next POTFR electio, bear in mind that macron is term limited and isn't standing next time

Leon said:

Leon said:

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓

They chopped his hand off

They beat two policemen near to death

Smashing up the Marseilles Bourse

https://twitter.com/NationalIndNews/status/1674899287866523648?s=20

Far right vigilantes fighting back in Angers

https://twitter.com/darumafollower/status/1674876316892426241?s=20

But the rioters have guns and have taken up sniping positions

https://twitter.com/YashBarapatre6/status/1674864265235427328?s=20

An enormous fire.... somewhere?

https://twitter.com/OsintUpdates/status/1674842620496068608?s=20

This is a big test for Macron
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Leon said:

Leon said:

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓

Houellebecq's prescience about modern france continues...
    edited June 2023
    viewcode said:

For all those considering the impacts of the French riots with respect to the next POTFR electio, bear in mind that macron is term limited and isn't standing next time

What will happen to RE without him?

We never get anything as exciting as someone founding a new party and it winning a majority a year later.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Leon said:

A French friend (Macron voter) worries about what follows on after Macron *and* Le Pen leave the stage. She thinks that an effective non-Le Pen will get the extreme right over the line.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Mbappe just tweeted calling for calm

:#
  • Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓

Ah is there a far right angle to all this? No wonder your tingly bits are so excited.

Still not seeing any difference between this riot and all the other riots France has had. Except that you seemed to be keener on the yellow jacket ones.
    Sacre bleu

There are HUNDREDS of these videos, from towns and cities all across France. And the police look badly rattled and outnumbered. And this is the fourth and worst night of violence

https://twitter.com/ConvictFluffy/status/1674885867523932161?s=20

Yes, France can be turbulent, but this seems to be a pretty dramatic new level, and of course it has the poisonous element of race and religion making it all very toxic
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

We never get anything as exciting as someone founding a new party and it winning a majority a year later.
    I think Renaissance (En Marche! in old money) is a subscription party, like the Brexit Party was/is: it doesn't have members in the way that Lab or Con do: the "members" give money but don't have a say in policy or the manifesto, like a fan club. I think it's had some local councillors but it's basically a shell. (Happy to be contradicted, btw). I should imagine it'll go the same way as UKIP: a succession of less charismatic successors will bleed away the brand and somebody else will win.
    Leon said:

Sacre bleu

There are HUNDREDS of these videos, from towns and cities all across France. And the police look badly rattled and outnumbered. And this is the fourth and worst night of violence

Yes, France can be turbulent, but this seems to be a pretty dramatic new level, and of course it has the poisonous element of race and religion making it all very toxic

France has a strong military still. If push and shove come the6 can head back from the non wagner bits of Africa. Macron could also hire Prigozhin directly if he wants though it'd be a bit humiliating.
  • Leon said:

Sacre bleu

Has there ever been a riot where the Police haven't seemed outnumbered? That's kind of the point normally. How is that 'new'?

As far as race is concerned, it seems that the French have successfully integrated people into partaking in their national past-time.
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

I think Renaissance (En Marche! in old money) is a subscription party, like the Brexit Party was/is: it doesn't have members in the way that Lab or Con do: the "members" give money but don't have a say in policy or the manifesto, like a fan club. I think it's had some local councillors but it's basically a shell. (Happy to be contradicted, btw). I should imagine it'll go the same way as UKIP: a succession of less charismatic successors will bleed away the brand and somebody else will win.
    Yes, the Macron party dies with Macron

The next election will surely see France swing right (like Italy, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, everywhere in Europe)

The question is: how far right? The Republicans have adopted some very Le Pen positions, to squeeze her vote. Le Pen also faces the far far right on, er, her right - the Zemmour types

So it seems France will either get Le Pen Light, Le Pen Classic, or Ultra Le Pen

Leon said:

viewcode said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Yes, the Macron party dies with Macron

The next election will surely see France swing right (like Italy, Sweden, Spain, Denmark, everywhere in Europe)

The question is: how far right? The Republicans have adopted some very Le Pen positions, to squeeze her vote. Le Pen also faces the far far right on, er, her right - the Zemmour types

So it seems France will either get Le Pen Light, Le Pen Classic, or Ultra Le Pen

Remember Le Pen being accused of being soft on Islam?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9256651/French-far-right-leader-Marine-Le-Pen-accused-soft-Islam-election-debate.html
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓

Ah is there a far right angle to all this? No wonder your tingly bits are so excited.

Still not seeing any difference between this riot and all the other riots France has had. Except that you seemed to be keener on the yellow jacket ones.
    The Yash guy seems to have a bit of a general downer on Muslims... The video could be anyone, anywhere at any time, of course. Can you be a rioter when there is no riot?

What's happening looks bad, but there are plenty out there who want to stir things up for their own purposes
    Quite striking

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

NSFW:

🇫🇷 🖐🏼 🪓

The Yash guy seems to have a bit of a general downer on Muslims... The video could be anyone, anywhere at any time, of course. Can you be a rioter when there is no riot?

What's happening looks bad, but there are plenty out there who want to stir things up for their own purposes
    It looks bad because it is bad. If people are chopping hands off in your country of fellow citizens, something has gone badly wrong.
    Leon said:

Quite striking

Not rioting...its mostly peaceful protests...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

Leon said:

Quite striking

I’m picturing someone being be-handed (I’m sure that’s a word) behind you as you say this.

Leon said:

Quite striking

I like the use of 25km dots to (over) represent each riot
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    What does this mean for The Fifth Republic?

The Sixth Republic.
    Riots APPARENTLY spreading to Belgium

https://twitter.com/theinformantofc/status/1674798565128822785?s=20

And the Netherlands

Meanwhile back in France:

"Rioters dressed in all black drag a truck driver out of his vehicle and beat him.

Police have largely been unable to stabilize the situation in France, however the French Gov has held an emergency meeting today saying “all options” are on the table."

https://twitter.com/LeilaniDowding/status/1674879763167473664?s=20

It will be remarkable if there aren't deaths tonight. Marseille looks especially bad
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

Leon said:

Quite striking

Ah, those aren’t blast zones for Macron’s retaliatory strike?

Leon said:

Quite striking

A peaceful protest is merely a riot in potentia - break out the rubber bullets!

The Sixth Republic.

“How can you govern a country which has 246 varieties of cheese?
    RobD said:

Leon said:

Quite striking

Ah, those aren’t blast zones for Macron’s retaliatory strike?
    Not unless he is using crowd pleasers....
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    Leon said:

Quite striking

I feel an on-the-spot report from Roger is in order.
    edited June 2023

The Sixth Republic.

The British Cheese Board (now part of Dairy UK) states that "there are over 700 named British cheeses produced in the UK
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

I don't believe them.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

And the Netherlands

"Rioters dressed in all black drag a truck driver out of his vehicle and beat him.

Police have largely been unable to stabilize the situation in France, however the French Gov has held an emergency meeting today saying “all options” are on the table."

It will be remarkable if there aren't deaths tonight. Marseille looks especially bad

I wrote on here that there was a menacing atmosphere in quite a lot of places in Paris when I was there a few months ago, and was glad to get back to London.
    kle4 said:

The Sixth Republic.

The British Cheese Board (now part of Dairy UK) states that "there are over 700 named British cheeses produced in the UK
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_cheeses

I don't believe them.
    Creating new cheeses became a thing, a while back. Part of the whole artisan food thing. So every enterprising farmer with an interest is getting into it.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited June 2023
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

And the Netherlands

I wrote on here that there was a menacing atmosphere in quite a lot of places in Paris when I was there a few months ago, and was glad to get back to London.
    Yes, the racial tension is much worse.

I've noticed this just at random moments in the Metro, as I've mentioned more than a few times on here. We may be behind the French on all sorts of other indicators at the moment, but we're managing this much, much better.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

And the Netherlands

I've noticed this just at random times in the Metro. We may behind the French on all sorts of other indicators at the moment, but we're managing this much, much better.
    Well, let's see what happens next time a Duggan incident happens.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358

Leon said:

The most recent opinion polls for the next election put her on 56% in the second round if I recall correctly.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

And the Netherlands

I've noticed this just at random times in the Metro. We may behind the French on all sorts of other indicators at the moment, but we're managing this much, much better.
    The levels of integration in the UK are much, much higher.

In addition (no laughter at the back, @Cyclefree) the UK police and state system is much less racist.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

And the Netherlands

Yes, France is racially more troubled than the UK, I suspect. Tho they could equally argue that they have had nothing as scandalously tragic and evil as the Asian Grooming Gangs

Every European country confronts this in different ways. The Polish-Hungarian Visegrad group are likely feeling quite vindicated in their simple slogans: no Muslims, no migrants. But then they have bad demographics
This discussion has been closed.