Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mordaunt second favourite to succeed Sunak as CON leader – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    viewcode said:

...The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapors...

Um, wha? The thrusters on the Titan were electric and (I assume) powered by batteries. Unless they were referring to oily farts or they had taken certain foods or a can of oil, where would they come from?

Also, the maths doesn't really make sense. If the hull was collapsing at 2200 ft/sec (not that it would collapse at a constant speed), then it would collapse by 2.2 feet in 1 ms, which is a lot, but not yet complete collapse. Though I get the point that the resulting compression would cause an explosion, as in a diesel engine.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    OWLs hold in West Lancashire.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

viewcode said:

...The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapors...

Um, wha? The thrusters on the Titan were electric and (I assume) powered by batteries. Unless they were referring to oily farts or they had taken certain foods or a can of oil, where would they come from?

Also, the maths doesn't really make sense. If the hull was collapsing at 2200 ft/sec (not that it would collapse at a constant speed), then it would collapse by 2.2 feet in 1 ms, which is a lot, but not yet complete collapse. Though I get the point that the resulting compression would cause an explosion, as in a diesel engine.
    1 or 10ms, the point is it is a lot quicker than human perception.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,131

viewcode said:

Yes, plus 2.2 ft is about the same as 1-2 microwaves. You compress five people plus various onboard stuff down to that size in a moment, you end up with a hot red puree. They never knew what was happening.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,398
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Question Time from Clacton on BBC now, a 100% Leave voters audience examining their views of Brexit. John Redwood and Alistair Campbell in the audience

Anybody got a bomb to drop on the studio? It would increase the country’s IQ by 10% if you could get rid of some Brexiteers - especially Essex Brexiteers.
    What a repulsive comment? And you wonder why 52% voted Leave when you have such contempt for them!
    52% wouldn't vote leave now they know the consequences and mess Brexiteer politicians make of things. It'd be a remain landslide. Even rejoin, with all its complexities, would stand a pretty good chance given what a disaster Brexit has been for everyone except pensioners and the super rich.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Foxy said:

pigeon said:

Cyclefree said:

The problem for the Tories is not just mortgage holders but renters as well.

Rents are high, the quality of properties is poor and renters are treated badly by a lot of landlords. That is a very real issue for the young who cannot buy.

It's not just building properties for sale that is needed but a decent rental sector as well.

It is a vicious circle as buy to let landlords either sell up reducing supply or increase rents in line with their mortgage costs

Even at 300,000 homes a year it will take years when the crisis is now

Starmer is going to have a tough few years as interest rates are heading up towards 6% with no easing before 2025

The Fed have said tonight the US will also need further interest rate increases this year
    I wonder what will happen when there are (a) not enough renters left able to afford the excruciating sums being demanded by desperate landlords, and (b) not enough buyers left able to afford the prices that failed landlords demand when attempting to sell?

Then there's all the mortgage borrowers collapsing under the weight of hugely inflated repayments. The entire property market could easily crash land, and you have to wonder how much capacity the banks have to intervene to prop bad debtors up, even if being cajoled, threatened and begged by the politicians to do so. IANAE but surely if the lenders try to support too many distressed borrowers at once then we end up back in another banking crisis?
    Indeed, the GFC was caused by mortgages going bad, with the property not worth the debt. It could very easily happen again.
    That was the trigger not the cause. The cause was the misallocation of systemic risk

• Options
    Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

Reassuring this evening that the midsummer swallows are still looping overhead. And there are insects. If government wants a Brexit benefit then ban most insecticides and create maritime reserves around most of the coast.

I always find it a little sad that before we even reach the longest day most of the cuckoos are already on their way back across France to Africa. Such an iconic bird and yet it is here for such a short time. Just 8 weeks out of each year.
    A truly shit lifestyle, though, iconic or not.

I have just been in the Shiants surrounded by puffins.
    Did you actually land?!

I'm jealous if so. Only ever seen them from a ferry across the Minch

Adam Nicolson's Sea Room, about his weird "ownership" of the Shiants, is excellent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sea-Room-Island-Adam-Nicolson/dp/0006532012
    Mate of mine (ex war correspondent I got to know in the line of duty as it were) owns Taransay if you want a change from your usual luxury travel pieces

• Options
    glw said:

dixiedean said:

Seems to me that the children of homeowners in their last days, who benefited from huge price rises and could afford to have their deposits financed, before they were left yet another hugely valuable house, are potentially forming a new social caste.
    With interests entirely opposite to those who didn't benefit.
    People have a tendency to marry within caste too.
    I don't like the implications of that.

Inheritance tax needs to be larger, and have no allowance for anyone other than a spouse/partner, or some dependents in particular circumstances. In fact have a maximum inheritance too, with a 100% rate above that.
    Why does the state have the right to confiscate someone’s savings (on which they have already paid tax) just because they are unfortunate enough to die?

It reverses the relationship between the individual and the state
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,195
    In Arizona, the Republican Recorder of Maricopa County is suing Kari Lake for defamation:

https://twitter.com/Garrett_Archer/status/1671991860573933568
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,946

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

Reassuring this evening that the midsummer swallows are still looping overhead. And there are insects. If government wants a Brexit benefit then ban most insecticides and create maritime reserves around most of the coast.

I always find it a little sad that before we even reach the longest day most of the cuckoos are already on their way back across France to Africa. Such an iconic bird and yet it is here for such a short time. Just 8 weeks out of each year.

Did you actually land?!

Adam Nicolson's Sea Room, about his weird "ownership" of the Shiants, is excellent

Mate of mine (ex war correspondent I got to know in the line of duty as it were) owns Taransay if you want a change from your usual luxury travel pieces

I assume that's the Harris Taransay (of Castaway fame)? Nice.

Shame about the crappy campsite opposite at Horgabost, though. Some idiot was razzing up and down the beach in a 4x4 when I was last there (at 11pm, naturally).

Much preferred it when it was just a few dunes and one small chod (allegedly by appointment to HM).
  • Options

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

Did you actually land?!

Shame about the crappy campsite opposite at Horgabost, though. Some idiot was razzing up and down the beach in a 4x4 when I was last there (at 11pm, naturally).

Much preferred it when it was just a few dunes and one small chod (allegedly by appointment to HM).
    Yep, that’s it. The properties he’s built at Borve are much more interesting than an old campsite

• Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,946
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

Did you actually land?!

Yep, that’s it. The properties he’s built at Borve are much more interesting than an old campsite

I was lamenting that it used to be an out of the way place, really, and no longer is (Calmac permitting). We had Luskentyre to ourselves the first time we visited.

The campsite is relatively new and has turned what was a quiet white sand beach into a zoo.

The houses at Borve do look amusing, though. How on earth do you get planning permission to turn an ancient broch into accommodation?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Tie in West Devon - Ind beats Lib Dem on tie break.
  • Options

Leon said:

Miklosvar said:

TimS said:

Did you actually land?!

I was lamenting that it used to be an out of the way place, really, and no longer is (Calmac permitting). We had Luskentyre to ourselves the first time we visited.

The campsite is relatively new and has turned what was a quiet white sand beach into a zoo.

The houses at Borve do look amusing, though. How on earth do you get planning permission to turn an ancient broch into accommodation?
    I think it’s “inspired by” rather than an *actual* ancient broch…

He calls them his hobbit homes…

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106
    glw said:

dixiedean said:

Seems to me that the children of homeowners in their last days, who benefited from huge price rises and could afford to have their deposits financed, before they were left yet another hugely valuable house, are potentially forming a new social caste.

Inheritance tax needs to be larger, and have no allowance for anyone other than a spouse/partner, or some dependents in particular circumstances. In fact have a maximum inheritance too, with a 100% rate above that.
    Why is it less selfish to spend all your money on yourself before you die than to pass it on to someone else? (I've asked this question before but seldom get an answer).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

glw said:

dixiedean said:

Why is it less selfish to spend all your money on yourself before you die than to pass it on to someone else? (I've asked this question before but seldom get an answer).
    I suppose the argument is that you have earned it and have the right to spend it. The alternative, landing an unearned windfall on a lucky person, is a negative to society because it entrenches inequality.

I disagree with that viewpoint but just trying to answer your question
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    edited June 2023
    Major news per The Times:

"An end to nurses’ strikes is likely to be confirmed this weekend with a ballot set to fall short of the threshold needed for a further round of industrial action.

An “all or nothing” attempt for nurses to walk out of every hospital in England seems to have failed, with NHS insiders now expecting the number voting not to meet the required 50 per cent.

In a rare piece of good news for Rishi Sunak, the Royal College of Nursing is expected to call an end to its campaign of industrial action after the ballot closes at midnight tonight."
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,175
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's worth remembering that, excellent as she was at wielding a ceremonial sword, Penny Mordaunt was all over the place during the last-but-one leadership contest. Essentially, the more she spoke, the more her support faltered.

The last thing the Tories need is another vacuous blonde with no achievements to their name but with a great capacity for self-promotion, telling lies and being photographed. Aren't Johnson and Truss enough for them?

Badenoch had an an opportunity with the Post Office to do something worthwhile and just but has fluffed it.

I tend to the @Heathener view - that either because of disgust and anger or weariness with the whole shambolic lot of them the Tories could do very badly indeed. Why should anyone vote for a party which does not know its arse from its elbow.
    Your dislike of Mordaunt - and the reasons you give for it are stupid IMV.

"vacuous blonde" - wtf does hair colour have to do with it? You'd be the first person calling a man sexist for saying that. Vacuous - ditto.

'no achievements to their name' - the same is true for most politicians. Blair, for instance. Or Cameron.

'capacity for self-promotion' - ditto.

'telling lies' - ditto. And I think you're being a little unfair in that respect as well.

'being photographed' - a surprising number of politicians fail even that test.
    "Blonde" is an accurate description not a criticism. Who are you to tell people they can't use adjectives.

"Vacuous" - that is an accurate description of how she came across in the debates when she stood for party leader last time: her answers to questions were feeble, she had no policy positions to put forward, all she said was giddy.

"Self-promotion" - that is what she is good at hence all the nice articles about her. But there is no substance that I can see - and in that regard she seems rather more similar to Truss and Johnson and indeed Sunak than the break with them that is needed.

"Telling lies" - yes she lied over Brexit and her support for Brexit is not a sign of good judgment and she lied about what she tried to do over womens rights issues. She also dissembled about her time in the Navy. Small lies maybe but it is the fact that her default seems to be to lie when challenged which is the problem. Again it is reminiscent of Johnson. Integrity is something the Tories badly need.

She supported Truss pretty vocally during her ill-fated government and has Andrea Leadsom as her main advisor, which does not strike me as exhibiting good judgment. What achievements has she had in office?

As far as I can see the main reason so many men here like her is because they have the hots for her.

She does have presence which Sunak does not have. She can do jokes. Her response on the Privileges Committee report was well judged. So was Mrs May's and no-one is suggesting her.

But really it is not enough. Nowhere near. The current batch of senior wannabe leader Tories are all cut from the same cloth. The next leader with a chance of winning will be from the next generation not this one. They will need to be because they will need that time to rethink what Conservatism means and can offer in the 2030's and 2040's. I see no sign that Mordaunt or anyone else being touted is even beginning to think about this.

Oh and I criticise both men and women for how they look and dress because I think that when people go out in public they should make an effort to be presentable at the very least and elegant at best. If you cannot be bothered to make that effort stay at home.
    @Cyclefree :

Oh, come on. If a man said: "Vacuous blonde" he would rightly get told it's wrong.

"As far as I can see the main reason so many men here like her is because they have the hots for her. "

Really? I mean, talk about compounding offence. I get it - you dislike her. You've made your mind up. But claiming that people who disagree with your view are doing so because she's attractive is stupid and lazy thinking.

Now, my own view: she is the best of a poor lot. Unlike many of the other prospective candidates, she does have some positive skills - as you mentioned. Some of the negatives I can forgive (that's an important word, isn't it?) because of the frenetic times the party has been in.

"Oh and I criticise both men and women for how they look and dress because I think that when people go out in public they should make an effort to be presentable at the very least and elegant at best. If you cannot be bothered to make that effort stay at home. "

Isn't that nice of you. Anyone who does not fit *your* view on 'presentable' should just stay at home. Well, I'd probably noy match it a lot of the time as I quite like walker/runner comfort.

And I'm not going to stay ay home, just because I don't fit whatever the heck your image of 'presentable' is.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

It's worth remembering that, excellent as she was at wielding a ceremonial sword, Penny Mordaunt was all over the place during the last-but-one leadership contest. Essentially, the more she spoke, the more her support faltered.

The last thing the Tories need is another vacuous blonde with no achievements to their name but with a great capacity for self-promotion, telling lies and being photographed. Aren't Johnson and Truss enough for them?

Badenoch had an an opportunity with the Post Office to do something worthwhile and just but has fluffed it.

I tend to the @Heathener view - that either because of disgust and anger or weariness with the whole shambolic lot of them the Tories could do very badly indeed. Why should anyone vote for a party which does not know its arse from its elbow.

"vacuous blonde" - wtf does hair colour have to do with it? You'd be the first person calling a man sexist for saying that. Vacuous - ditto.

'no achievements to their name' - the same is true for most politicians. Blair, for instance. Or Cameron.

'telling lies' - ditto. And I think you're being a little unfair in that respect as well.

"Blonde" is an accurate description not a criticism. Who are you to tell people they can't use adjectives.

"Vacuous" - that is an accurate description of how she came across in the debates when she stood for party leader last time: her answers to questions were feeble, she had no policy positions to put forward, all she said was giddy.

"Self-promotion" - that is what she is good at hence all the nice articles about her. But there is no substance that I can see - and in that regard she seems rather more similar to Truss and Johnson and indeed Sunak than the break with them that is needed.

"Telling lies" - yes she lied over Brexit and her support for Brexit is not a sign of good judgment and she lied about what she tried to do over womens rights issues. She also dissembled about her time in the Navy. Small lies maybe but it is the fact that her default seems to be to lie when challenged which is the problem. Again it is reminiscent of Johnson. Integrity is something the Tories badly need.

She supported Truss pretty vocally during her ill-fated government and has Andrea Leadsom as her main advisor, which does not strike me as exhibiting good judgment. What achievements had she had in office?

As far as I can see the main reason so many men here like her is because they have the hots for her.

She does have presence which Sunak does not have. She can do jokes. Her response on the Privileges Committee report was well judged. So was Mrs May's and no-one is sugge
    Farooq said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

She supported Truss pretty vocally during her ill-fated government and has Andrea Leadsom as her main advisor, which does not strike me as exhibiting good judgment. What achievements has she had in office?

She does have presence which Sunak does not have. She can do jokes. Her response on the Privileges Committee report was well judged. So was Mrs May's and no-one is suggesting her.

But really it is not enough. Nowhere near. The current batch of senior wannabe leader Tories are all cut from the same cloth. The next leader with a chance of winning will be from the next generation not this one. They will need to be because they will need that time to rethink what Conservatism means and can offer in the 2030's and 2040's. I see no sign that Mordaunt or anyone else being touted is even beginning to think about this.

Oh and I criticise both men and women for how they look and dress because I think that when people go out in public they should make an effort to be presentable at the very least and elegant at best. If you cannot be bothered to make that effort stay at home.
    Oh come off it, you can't call someone a "vacuous blonde" and then not expect for it to be called out as sexist. It's an old misogynistic trope. "But adjectives" is a pretty feeble response.
    Bollocks. Johnson, Truss and Mordaunt are all in my view vacuous blondes. I have given you chapter and verse on why I think Mordaunt is vacuous and have done the same for Johnson as well, repeatedly, in numerous headers since 2018. Truss seemed to show some cunning but I decided that she was ghastly and said so.

And I am not taking any lessons on sexism from the misogynists on here who have attacked me repeatedly because I have been one of the few who has spoken up for women's rights.
    "misogynists on here who have attacked me repeatedly"

Care to name these 'misogynists"? Or are they just people who disagree with you on this matter?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,381
    MikeL said:

Major news per The Times:

"An end to nurses’ strikes is likely to be confirmed this weekend with a ballot set to fall short of the threshold needed for a further round of industrial action.

An “all or nothing” attempt for nurses to walk out of every hospital in England seems to have failed, with NHS insiders now expecting the number voting not to meet the required 50 per cent.

In a rare piece of good news for Rishi Sunak, the Royal College of Nursing is expected to call an end to its campaign of industrial action after the ballot closes at midnight tonight."

Surely the position of the head of the RCN is completely untenable now, if this is the case.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843
    edited June 2023

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree :

Oh, come on. If a man said: "Vacuous blonde" he would rightly get told it's wrong.

"As far as I can see the main reason so many men here like her is because they have the hots for her. "

Really? I mean, talk about compounding offence. I get it - you dislike her. You've made your mind up. But claiming that people who disagree with your view are doing so because she's attractive is stupid and lazy thinking.

Now, my own view: she is the best of a poor lot. Unlike many of the other prospective candidates, she does have some positive skills - as you mentioned. Some of the negatives I can forgive (that's an important word, isn't it?) because of the frenetic times the party has been in.

"Oh and I criticise both men and women for how they look and dress because I think that when people go out in public they should make an effort to be presentable at the very least and elegant at best. If you cannot be bothered to make that effort stay at home. "

Isn't that nice of you. Anyone who does not fit *your* view on 'presentable' should just stay at home. Well, I'd probably noy match it a lot of the time as I quite like walker/runner comfort.

And I'm not going to stay ay home, just because I don't fit whatever the heck your image of 'presentable' is.
    I see that the SNP MP John Nicolson has just been cleared of bullying Nadine Dorries by calling her a "vacuous goon" on twitter.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65960992

So "vacuous" and "goon" are OK. :smile:

Personally, I think the Baroness of Mid-Bedfordshire is a bit of a bully herself, having observed her behaviour since about 2007.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673
    New thread.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944
    dixiedean said:

Traditionally have an ante post football Yankee across the four divisions.
    Am thinking.
    City 4-6. (Combine that with one other and I'm in profit).
    Leicester 6-1
    Bolton 8-1
    Notts County 10-1 (Wrexham are ridiculously short).
    Haven't thrown a big wild card outsider this year.
    What do others think?
    Would appreciate any reasonably specialist info @foxy and others. Don't know if our Forest fans know much about County?

I think Leicester mid table this year. The team needs a full rebuild, and has neither reliable goalscorer or defence. Play off place at best IMO.

Not that we have made any signings, but Maddison and Barnes are certain to go, and Ianacho very likely too.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

@Cyclefree :

I see that the SNP MP John Nicolson has just been cleared of bullying Nadine Dorries by calling her a "vacuous goon" on twitter.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-65960992

So "vacuous" and "goon" are OK. :smile:

Personally, I think the Baroness of Mid-Bedfordshire is a bit of a bully herself, having observed her behaviour since about 2007.
    There's an interesting question here (at least, it's interesting to me): we need robust debate, and we need to be able to challenge the views of others. But when does that cross the line into bullying and/or being acceptable?

"It also said he had not taken into account Ms Dorries' own record of tweeting, which the panel said was relevant when considering whether it was reasonable for her view of Mr Nicolson's conduct as bullying."

So it looks as though Ms Dorries might have been somewhat hoisted by her own petard.

Incidentally, I think the article has a mistake.. "The commissioner's decision to uphold Mr Dorries' complaint "
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944

Farooq said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Wowzers. More than 70% of people who voted Leave want a closer relationship with the EU. 15% want straight up Rejoin. ~AA

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1671934799555051545

Only 15% want to rejoin is devastating for those who make a daily effort to promote everything pro EU
    Huh? 15% of people who voted leave want to rejoin the entity they expressly voted to leave? That’s brilliant for Rejoiners. Because they are now in the Rejoin camp. Do you see how this works?
    I do and it does not change my view it is not likely in the foreseeable future

Indeed did you not recently post in this vein
    If I read a poll saying that 15% of 2019 Labour voters were switching to the Tories I’d revise my opinion on the next General Election. And equally this poll has made me drastically reconsider the question
    Hmm. Very partial reading of the poll from you there Doug I am afraid.

15% of Leave voters want to rejoin.

But

Just eyeballing that poll from the tweet, something like 12% of Remain voters do not even want to rejoin the Single market.

Indeed only 75% of Remain voters want to now rejoin the EU.

So you have won 15% of Leave voters but lost 25% of Remain voters. Indeed only around 45% of those polled (in the poll you are quoting) actually want to rejoin the EU in the next 10-15 years.

If you are going to trumpet a poll as game changing, best look at the whole poll not just the bit you agree with.
    This discussion appears to revolve around a hypothetical in/out rejoin question that this poll does not ask. Nevertheless, if a ballot was presented with the 6 options given, rejoin would win with a clear plurality, with a lead of 21% over the next preferred option.

But perhaps we should look at the binary question, in/out, we are discussing, a question conveniently answered in the same paper the previous poll was taken from -

https://www.institute.global/insights/geopolitics-and-security/moving-forward-path-to-better-post-brexit-relationship-between-uk-eu

Scroll down to figure 3, voting intention in a hypothetical in/out referendum today, you’ll see that 71% of leavers would vote to stay out compared to 84% of remainers who would vote to rejoin. That means that remain has hung onto significantly more of its 2016 voters than leave has done which, given the clusterfuck the whole thing has been, is hardly surprising.
    Given the way in which the Goverment is viewed I would say it is very surprising. I would have expected the Rejoin number to be far higher.

As I have said on here regularly before, much of the antipathy towards Brexit currently is a substitute for animosity towards the Tories who have performed so badly in the years since. Once they are gone and we have a vaguely competant (or at least not so obviously corrupt) Government again I suspect Brexit will cease to be the toxic subject it is at the moment. Not least because I expect Starner to have a transfomative attitude to his relationship with the EU.

Also worth remembering that there are plenty of people out there who would be happy with the EFTA/EEA option going forward including many Brexit voters. (Your annual reminder that I did a PB thread header on this very subject the day after the vote in 2016.)
    On the flip side, to have a government in power that is not ideologically wedded to Brexit means a space opens up for the government to start shifting blame* for problems it faces onto Brexit.

To have ministers talking much more about challenges created by Brexit could easily have a transformative effect on the state of the rejoin debate without even that government endorsing such a goal.

*whether or not it's justified
    The problem you have is that you already have lots of people blaming Brexit for everything and, even though the Government - the main advocate of Brexit - is vastly unpopular, they are still not making headway. Unless Starmer intendds to start talking about rejoin within the first year of his forst term he will miss any opptyunity to play teh 'Brexit caused this' card. From that point on it will be a toxic card to play as more and more people turn against the Govenment (as they inevitably do no matter how unfair it is).

Right now we are at peak rejoin (at least until a few months after the next election). From that point on Rejoin is screwed.
    No , we are seeing increasing and growing recognition that Brexit was a disastrous mistake. Starmer has promised to soften it, but that will only drive further questioning of the point of Brexit.

Rejoin will be the centrepiece of the 2029 GE.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    MJW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Question Time from Clacton on BBC now, a 100% Leave voters audience examining their views of Brexit. John Redwood and Alistair Campbell in the audience

Anybody got a bomb to drop on the studio? It would increase the country’s IQ by 10% if you could get rid of some Brexiteers - especially Essex Brexiteers.
    What a repulsive comment? And you wonder why 52% voted Leave when you have such contempt for them!
    52% wouldn't vote leave now they know the consequences and mess Brexiteer politicians make of things. It'd be a remain landslide. Even rejoin, with all its complexities, would stand a pretty good chance given what a disaster Brexit has been for everyone except pensioners and the super rich.
    Well that's a lie. Average wages have risen post Brexit for the lowest skilled as they face fewer competition

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-sees-fastest-wage-rises-sectors-most-reliant-eu-workers-indeed-2022-02-25/
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797
    HYUFD said:

MJW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Well that's a lie. Average wages have risen post Brexit for the lowest skilled as they face fewer competition

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-sees-fastest-wage-rises-sectors-most-reliant-eu-workers-indeed-2022-02-25/
    Real wages have fallen, and Brexit has contributed to inflation. It's no good your wages going up 7% if cost of living has gone up 15%.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

MJW said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Real wages have fallen, and Brexit has contributed to inflation. It's no good your wages going up 7% if cost of living has gone up 15%.
    The restrictions on energy and food supplies after the Ukraine war and the lost production due to the Covid lockdowns contributed to inflation far more than Brexit
This discussion has been closed.