Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The summer by-elections: the latest betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    19s
    Tory ministers who voted in favour of Privileges Committee report included:

Penny Mordaunt
    Alex Chalk
    Simon Hart
    Gillian Keegan
    Tom Tugendhat
    Chris Philp
    George Freeman
    Steve Baker
    Ed Argar
    Nick G
    Jesse Norman
    Guy Opperman
    Paul Scully
    Rebecca Pow
    Lee Rowley

Who is missing from this list....

A fair number of Tory MPs from Remain seats there with the LDs breathing down their necks like Pow, Chalk and Scully (plus May of course), Simon Hart, Lee Rowley. Chris Philp and Steve Baker in marginal seats Labour are targeting.

Mordaunt and Tugendhat position themselves as anti Boris candidates in the likely next Tory leadership contest if Rishi loses next year
    Weren’t Mordaunt and Tugendhat your favoured candidates for leader after Boris resigned?
    Then Sunak, now however I would make Barclay (who abstained tonight) the likely favourite to beat either of the above in the final round to become Tory Leader of the Opposition. Assuming Sunak loses the general election next year. Badenoch and Braverman also abstained and will compete to be the ERG candidate
    You said earlier that the membership will see to it that all those who abstained will not represent their seat at the next GE

None of these will be allowed to stand then
    Some of the 118 who voted for the report in very pro Boris seats in Brexit areas will face deselection attempts yes, those in Remain seats targeted by the LDs will likely survive to be candidates at the next election at least
    Is anyone "pro Boris"?
    Apart from Alex of course.
    You are fomenting Tory Civil War!
    Carry on. Re double your efforts. Youse out of power for 15 years puts a hearty smile on my raddled fizzog.
  • CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761

Serious.

Seriously?

Let's bring this one back.

If you did the same poster with Sunak it would risk looking racist.
    Seriously??
    William is just here to spin for his paymasters
    As are you though he is far more polite
    Yeah picked up my pay cheque this morning, they might pay you if anything you wrote was interesting
    You make my point for me
    The point is that you're a prat. Yes.
    Grow up and add to discussion rather than throw abuse to all and sundry as you have done today

It is rather sad you feel the need to respond the way you do at times
    Cheeky prat
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

HYUFD said:

Interesting that over 100 Tories did vote in favour.
    That needs to be the rump upon which the Tories regroup.

The rest should go, and soon.
    They simply don’t understand how to uphold parliamentary democracy.

Some of them will lose their seats to LDs and Labour. The Tory membership will ensure most likely anyone who voted for the report to convict Boris will lose to a leadership candidate who abstained
    That is your wish and clearly you are seeking the destruction of the conservative party

Your lack of support for honesty integrity and decency are the exact opposite of your so called Christian values

You and I do not belong in the same party
    Indeed, I have long wondered why you are in the Tory party G as you don’t present as in the least bit rightwing.
    He voted for Blair twice when almost a third of voters voted Tory, ideologically he is basically New Labour/One Nation Tory
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    RobD said:

So, what was Dorries’ excuse?

Detective Dorries is still on the hunt in the case of the vanishing peerage.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    RobD said:

Her Lord and Master told her not to vote.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    FF43 said:

I guess Sunak fears his own party more than he fears the voters.

Which is interesting at a couple of levels. His party is genuinely terrifying. And he's given up on the voters.

Rational, unfortunately.

The Conservative Party can make Sunak's life hell tomorrow morning.

The rest of us have to wait until he calls a General Election.

RobD said:

Her Lord and Master told her not to vote.
    Wonder if she has the toe ring?
    Help! I've turned into Leon.
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Some of them will lose their seats to LDs and Labour. The Tory membership will ensure most likely anyone who voted for the report to convict Boris will lose to a leadership candidate who abstained
    That is your wish and clearly you are seeking the destruction of the conservative party

Your lack of support for honesty integrity and decency are the exact opposite of your so called Christian values

Indeed, I have long wondered why you are in the Tory party G as you don’t present as in the least bit rightwing.
    He voted for Blair twice when almost a third of voters voted Tory, ideologically he is basically New Labour/One Nation Tory
    Those two philosophies have a habit of winning elections...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022

HYUFD said:

I have been either a member or supporter throughout my lifetime apart from Blair twice

I am utterly appalled at Johnson and his sycophants who are destroying the conservative party and I am certainly more centre left and reject the likes of @HYUFD and the 7 who voted tonight, they sicken me

I am very disappointed in Sunak tonight and have accepted that Starmer is likely to be the next PM but that prospect does not fill me with hope
    edited June 2023
    FF43 said:

Which is interesting at a couple of levels. His party is genuinely terrifying. And he's given up on the voters.

I think this hits the nail on the head. As stuartinromford notes it makes sense, if one is in such a weak position, but it makes for a rather drawn out conclusion to this government.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am a one nation conservative not a little Englander ERG and Johnson sycophant as you seem to be

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those two win elections...
    It's crazy how far down the "why don't you f&^% off and join the other lot" rabbit hole the modern Conservative Party has fallen.

Especially when there is such a recent example of what happens to parties that have that attitude to voters.
    They saw it, but could not resist the allure of that combination of superiority and victimhood that is so appealing to political parties thesedays. They know they are best and right, and anyone even in the same party is an enemy if they disagree, and everyone is just picking on them for speaking the truth all the time, probably that evil establishment (which does not include them, the 'natural party of government').
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Sunak = 🐓
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I think this hits the nail on the head. As stuartinromford notes it makes sense, if one is in such a weak position, but it makes for a rather drawn out conclusion to this government.
    Time to draw inspiration from Bazball?
    If you're going down, you might as well go down quirky and unconventionally. General Election September? Before the mortgages and continuing below inflation pay settlements kick in.
    Accept a close one, rather than a slaughter by playing to the conventional rules.
    Can't see a better chance for a win?
    I am Correct Horse Bat and I am a Tory
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    edited June 2023
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Yep. Sunak has gone from ship steadier to lamest of all ducks in just six months.
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

If you're going down, you might as well go down quirky and unconventionally. General Election September? Before the mortgages and continuing below inflation pay settlements kick in.
    Can't see a better chance for a win.
    I notice the RCN are worried they will not win their strike ballot this month

If true a big moment for both the public sector and the government
    Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

Farooq said:

Pagan2 said:

Farooq said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Theresa May next!

Will vote in favour; commends the committee. Looks like she is taking on the challenge of rising above the minutiae…

“debate strikes at the heart of the bond of trust between the public and this parliament”

Tobias Elwood intervenes to indicate his support.

May: “with leadership comes responsibility….”

Yes, May just confirmed she will vote in favour of the report condemning Boris.

I am sure the former PM will enjoy every moment of it too!
    And so she should. Amuses me that Johnson expected loyalty to him but has never shown loyalty to anyone else, including his own family
    Loyalty to people is a mugs' game. You're just giving them license to use you as a doormat. If you ever face a choice between abandoning a well-thought-out principle at the request of a person, treat the person as though they've been grooming you. Otherwise you'll be left clearing up the mess they caused you to make, looking like a twat because you knew better but did the wrong thing anyway.
    Okay not implying any judgement here..I have always assumed you to be fairly left wing. Is not what you are saying pretty right wing here....loyalty to self over loyalty to the collective. I am genuinely asking because to me left wing thought is you dont matter and you should subjugate what you want for the greater good?
    I'm not left wing, I'm a centrist liberal. Some of my beliefs fit well with the left and some of the fit well with the right.

There are two reasons why I often get mistaken for a lefty. One is that I desperately want the Tories out, but that's mainly an issue over standards in public life and the illiberal lurch they have embodied in recent years. I want the sensible people to take over again. The other reason is because I'm a constitutional radical. I don't believe in hierarchies, religion, monarchy, or generational inequality. I think people should be allowed to get rich through hard work or brilliance, and not through rentier capitalism and being born into the right class or caste.

Having said all that the idea you raise, of submitting to the collective, isn't just a left wing idea. It's a feature of some left wing thought, certainly. It's a feature of the authoritarian right and fascism, too. It's present in some forms of nationalism. I find all that stuff a bit distasteful. Yes, we are social beings, but all relationships should be voluntary and everyone should have the means and opportunity to shut other people out (almost) whenever they need to. I think this kind of individualism underpins liberalism, it's sort of a core assumption insofar as I understand liberalism, and I would encourage people to try to free themselves of relationship types that bind them into doing things that conflict with their own sense of right and wrong.
    You are Ed Miliband on economics and foreign policy, Jeremy Corbyn on the constitution and social issues basically
    Really? Tell me about my foreign policy beliefs then. I let you know what you get right and wrong.
    I can help you a bit here - if HYUFD says it, it's likely to be wrong.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,162
    The history books bumped Rishi Sunak down a few notches tonight.

He’s now confirmed to be sub-Theresa May.

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Can't see a better chance for a win.
    I notice the RCN are worried they will not win their strike ballot this month

If true a big moment for both the public sector and the government
    And yet the teachers will be out on co-ordinated strikes.
    Incidentally. No one was content with outing students to parents. Several mentioned it would be a resigning matter.
    That list in full (since 1979)

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss
    dixiedean said:

Disgraceful shambles.
    Time for a change.
    Couldn't be worse.

Will certainly be better.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

Serious.

Seriously?

Seriously??
    Cheap shot from one of the more partisan posters on the site. You may not agree with his view, but you don’t have to immune his motives.
    Everyone here is partisan, what a nonsense point. I note you're here to jump on when you fancy
    @CorrectHorseBat, @williamglenn is not paid for his contributions.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    I see people are bashing Rishi again.

So he didn't vote for the recommendations. Well it went through anyway. He's obviously trying to manage an almost unmanageable party. What else do people expect? I'd suggest history will likely be kinder to him than Johnson, Truss, May or Cameron.
    viewcode said:

Serious.

Seriously?

Seriously??
    Cheap shot from one of the more partisan posters on the site. You may not agree with his view, but you don’t have to immune his motives.
    Everyone here is partisan, what a nonsense point. I note you're here to jump on when you fancy
    I am not paid for mine either ROFL, you silly sausage
    viewcode said:

Serious.

Seriously?

Seriously??
    But, seeing what the man will do
    Unbribed, there's no occasion to.
    viewcode said:

Serious.

Seriously?

Seriously??
    You can get paid?
    I'll take 10p a post if that isn't pushy.
    Farooq said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

Is this intended to be for what they did as PM, or across the whole of their political career?
    As PM, or Brown would be third.
    edited June 2023

So he didn't vote for the recommendations. Well it went through anyway. He's obviously trying to manage an almost unmanageable party. What else do people expect? I'd suggest history will likely be kinder to him than Johnson, Truss, May or Cameron.

Yeah indeed.
    But that's not much.
    Least worst Tory PM of the last three decades.
    Some achievement.

he could have voted against.
    Quite simple, 100 of his colleagues managed it.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Who were the 7 renegades?
    edited June 2023
    This reminds me of when Frost resigned.
    Not really much noticed at the time (Christmas 21) but for me it was the end of whatever circus tent-show Boris was trying to erect. Only deflation from thereon in.

The same is true of Rishi today.
    Whatever he hoped to achieve in office is dead now. He’s missed his opportunity to make his stand and, even with the odds against him, add his contribution to the body politic.

It’s just a grim countdown now until election.

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

May already at mid table, I suspect she would have taken that when she went in mid 2019
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Andy_JS said:

Only 6 used their passes correctly to say who there were.

https://votes.parliament.uk/Votes/Commons/Division/1566#noes

Bill Cash
    Nick Fletcher
    Adam Holloway
    Karl McCartney
    Joy Morrissey
    Heather Wheeler

and 1 unknown..
    rcs1000 said:
    This is the key bit

Supporting Kennedy has become a trendy way to signal you have a rebellious streak.

That is obvious from the way others have jumped on the bandwagon, ostensibly not because they are anti-vaccine conspiracists, but because they are posturing as free speech and debate absolutists, and so they can claim anyone refusing to engage with RFK in the specific way he (and they) want, must be a coward or a liar.

Which rather overlooks that people have looked at and engaged with RFK's nonsense for many years, he is just getting more attention now because he is 'running' for President. It doesn't mean no one has every looked at what he says and rebutted before, but that is what the Roganites want to claim, because they are the cool rebels.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Bill Cash
    Nick Fletcher
    Adam Holloway
    Karl McCartney
    Joy Morrissey
    Heather Wheeler

and 1 unknown..
    Perhaps Dorries?

Whereas May is shaping up to be a rather good ex-PM. She's being given easy material to work with, but she's doing the right things with the right issues. (It's not a crowded field, it has to be said.)

In the same way that everyone has an optimal age, where they are most authentically themselves, I suspect everyone has an optimal stage in their career. Johnson's was probably a young scallywag hack, where terrible behaviour was encouraged, or perhaps Mayor of London, where it didn't matter much. Part of his tragedy (and he is a human being, albeit a terrible one) is that he couldn't stop on those perches.
    edited June 2023

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

I am a one nation conservative not a little Englander ERG and Johnson sycophant as you seem to be
    You are a slightly centre right swing voter, a true Conservative would have voted Tory in 1997 and 2001 as you did not, as well as for Boris in 2019 and Sunak now.

Just as a true Labour voter would have voted for Corbyn in 2019 and Starmer now. Everyone else is a swing voter of some form
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Bill Cash
    Nick Fletcher
    Adam Holloway
    Karl McCartney
    Joy Morrissey
    Heather Wheeler

and 1 unknown..
    Joy Morrissey has the most oxymoronic name.
    dixiedean said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Bill Cash
    Nick Fletcher
    Adam Holloway
    Karl McCartney
    Joy Morrissey
    Heather Wheeler

and 1 unknown..
    Heaven knows she's miserable now.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Those two philosophies have a habit of winning elections...
    Just because you vote for parties that win elections does not make you a true Tory!
    edited June 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

You are a slightly centre right swing voter, a true Conservative would have voted Tory in 1997 and 2001 as you did not, as well as for Boris in 2019 and Sunak now.

Just as a true Labour voter would have voted for Corbyn in 2019 and Starmer now. Everyone else is a swing voter of some form
    I simply have no interest in your ridiculous habit of labelling people

You are a tribal little Englander with nothing in common with me, but it is true to say the conservative party will only ever be in power again when they move to the centre where I stand and utterly reject you and your like views

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

You are very kind to Cameron, who I think is the PM whose stock has fallen the most since leaving office.
    FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

You are very kind to Cameron, who I think is the PM whose stock has fallen the most since leaving office.
    My list would be

Blair (despite Iraq)
    Thatcher
    Major
    Brown
    May
    Sunak
    Cameron
    Johnson
    Truss

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

You are a tribal little Englander with nothing in common with me, but it is true to say the conservative party will only ever be in power again when they move to the centre where I stand and utterly reject you and your like views
    Mostly yes but Thatcher won from the right not the centre from 1979-1987, as arguably did Boris in 2019
    FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

He only pops up occasionally so his lesser points are more easily looked past. Truss and Boris are still right in the thick of it, and Brown is a bit more frequent with interventions so his detractors get more of a workout. May has actually had a pretty good post premiership, but the sheer chaotic futility of those years will colour things forever.

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Bill Cash
    Nick Fletcher
    Adam Holloway
    Karl McCartney
    Joy Morrissey
    Heather Wheeler

and 1 unknown..
    Heaven knows she's miserable now.
    When it comes to Boris There is a light and it never goes out.
    The Beatles have a new song out later this month.

Will be based on an old John Lennon demo which, pre-AI, was too messy to use.

A fan has had a go at his own version, which is actually not bad and quite haunting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OwZz26eIBbc
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

Mostly yes but Thatcher won from the right not the centre from 1979-1987, as arguably did Boris in 2019
    She won from the centre in 1979.
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

He only pops up occasionally so his lesser points are more easily looked past. Truss and Boris are still right in the thick of it, and Brown is a bit more frequent with interventions so his detractors get more of a workout. May has actually had a pretty good post premiership, but the sheer chaotic futility of those years will colour things forever.
    Actually I was a big supporter of Cameron, but his emptiness told in the end I guess. Ultimately he was responsible for two things: austerity and Brexit, both of which were big mistakes, with nothing else to make up for them. His corruption post premiership doesn't help his balance sheet.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

I agree with your top three, although I'd probably put Major ahead of Blair.

The next tier is right. But I'd put Sunak higher and May lower.

Of course, I'd also like to include Callaghan in there too.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

I would argue her 1979 manifesto was less right wing than the Selsdon man one from Heath in 1970.

Only one, for example, promised privitisations and trade union reform. And it wasn't Mrs Thatcher's.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    So Johnson now wants to mend his relationship with Sunak .

Does anyone believe this ?
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

Though the futility was more something that was done to May, I doubt anyone could have done significantly better.

As for a leadership leaderboard,

Got on top of the job, until they want mad:
    Thatcher
    Blair
    Wrestled with the job, got some wins before it overwhelmed them:
    Major
    Brown
    Cameron
    The job beat them before they had a chance:
    May
    Sunak
    Calamitously unsuited:
    Truss, Johnson (hard to rank, since their terriblenesses were so different)

I'm much more confident about those categories than the ranking within the categories.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

I would argue her 1979 manifesto was less right wing than the Selsdon man one from Heath in 1970.

Only one, for example, promised privitisations and trade union reform. And it wasn't Mrs Thatcher's.
    In which case you can also say Heath won from the right in 1970 but lost from the centre in 1974 and 1966
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

She won from the centre in 1979.
    Callaghan was more centrist than Thatcher in 1979
    edited June 2023
    FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

Cameron was a decent chairman.
    We had reasonably stable government from 2010-2015c and some good reform, even if the latter was largely delivered by Lib Dems.

In hindsight, austerity looks ill-conceived, and of course Brexit was a disaster. And Cameron’s contributions since his premiership, such as they are, make him look lazy and venal.

But even with all that, he gets a mid-table position because both May and Brown just governed chaotically.

Both May and Brown are better than Sunak because they will be seen to have had longer premierships and even enjoyed some minor achievements. Sunak’s only record will be one of failing to move the needle post the Johnson-Truss disaster.

The real re-appraisal is Major, who managed to win an election, actually stood up to his own bastards, began the Northern Irish peace process, and bequeathed a growing economy to his successor.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Twitter thread on Debate Me You Coward: https://twitter.com/jeremylittau/status/1670801606986563584
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:
    This is the key bit

Supporting Kennedy has become a trendy way to signal you have a rebellious streak.

That is obvious from the way others have jumped on the bandwagon, ostensibly not because they are anti-vaccine conspiracists, but because they are posturing as free speech and debate absolutists, and so they can claim anyone refusing to engage with RFK in the specific way he (and they) want, must be a coward or a liar.

Which rather overlooks that people have looked at and engaged with RFK's nonsense for many years, he is just getting more attention now because he is 'running' for President. It doesn't mean no one has every looked at what he says and rebutted before, but that is what the Roganites want to claim, because they are the cool rebels.
    Reading the wiki piece he seems an odd mixture, with quite a lot of apparently genuine liberal environmentalism in the style of Gore (who he endorsed), plus the pacifist and anti-corporate themes that have reasonably wide sympathy on the American left. But he adds to that a host of conspiracy theories, notably on vaccines, and has a Trumpian willingness to embrace outright lies to further his argument. The general impression is that he was a mainstream leftist who has in recent years gone bonkers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Jr.

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

In which case you can also say Heath won from the right in 1970 but lost from the centre in 1974 and 1966
    Heath was sick in 1974, with an undiagnosed glandular illness that sapped his energy.

He went to the country because he was fighting the unions, on a platform of "who runs Britain?"

If you want to claim that was "centrist" then you are trying to twist history to match your preconceptions.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

If the HoC website is to be believed, it was actually only 6 Boris Backers, plus two Labour tellers;

Shame really. Seven is so much more evocative a number.

Envy, gluttony, avarice, lust, pride, sloth, and wrath...

Wot, no Jacob???
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I would likely have abstained like most Tory MPs, if you dislike that off you go to Starmer Labour or the LDs.

Jesus also preached forgiveness, Boris has already been fined, lost the premiership voters gave him a mandate for in 2019 and now even left Parliament too
    Boris is a proven liar. "Thou shalt not bear false witness" and all that.
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

Heath was sick in 1974, with an undiagnosed glandular illness that sapped his energy.

He went to the country because he was fighting the unions, on a platform of "who runs Britain?"

If you want to claim that was "centrist" then you are trying to twist history to match your preconceptions.
    Wilson was clearly more to the left than Heath was to the right in 1974
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

My list would be

Blair (despite Iraq)
    Thatcher
    Major
    Brown
    May
    Sunak
    Cameron
    Johnson
    Truss
    Surely if you are giving Blair a free pass over Iraq, it is only fair you allow Cameron the EURef. So that leaves Cameron somewhere around Major and Brown. Oh and Johnson is worse even than Truss.
  • Jonathan said:

Sunak = 🐓

Sunak may not be the best PM but there's no need to call him a cock.
    These Tories except Bart are happy to tell us how awful BoJo is now. Yet they voted for him and spent years telling us how great he was.

Jonathan said:

Sunak = 🐓

Sunak may not be the best PM but there's no need to call him a cock.
    Prick is better
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    Since you are discussing RFK and vaccines, I have two questions for all of you: Why did it take the Lancet so long to admit their error on the Wakefield piece?
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831678/

Did the editor, or anyone else at the magazine, pay an appropriate price for their mistakes?

People died because of that error.

(Full disclosure: Some years ago, I read the original piece -- and was struck by how flimsy it seemed, even to this amateur. I could not understand why it had been published by such a prestigious magazine, which must choose from hundreds -- at a minimum -- of papers every year.)

Since you are discussing RFK and vaccines, I have two questions for all of you: Why did it take the Lancet so long to admit their error on the Wakefield piece?

Did the editor, or anyone else at the magazine, pay an appropriate price for their mistakes?

(Full disclosure: Some years ago, I read the original piece -- and was struck by how flimsy it seemed, even to this amateur. I could not understand why it had been published by such a prestigious magazine, which must choose from hundreds -- at a minimum -- of papers every year.)

I didn't realise it had taken them so long to admit it was a mistake.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited June 2023

These Tories except Bart are happy to tell us how awful BoJo is now. Yet they voted for him and spent years telling us how great he was.

People jump to extremes.

Boris is a flawed individual. We knew that before he became elected.

He has his good traits and he has his bad ones.

People like to act as if politicians are all one or another. Nobody is. Not Boris, not anyone else. He has some very good traits, but he also has a lot of very bad ones too.

I wanted him elected as I thought the potential for his good outweighed his bad, then wanted him gone when I thought the opposite, but it was always a balancing act.

Nothings changed really. Blair was just the same and you still call him great.

It's an excellent question.

I think the answer is simple: people don't like to admit mistakes.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited June 2023
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

My list would be

Blair (despite Iraq)
    Thatcher
    Major
    Brown
    May
    Sunak
    Cameron
    Johnson
    Truss
    Fun game.

My list would be.

Thatcher
    Cameron
    Major
    Johnson
    Blair
    Sunak
    May
    Truss
    Brown

And yes, I wanted Johnson out before he left and would not want him back, but I'd say the same to everyone I ranked below him too.
  • rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

Anyone to the left of Franco is at most a centrist in his eyes though.
    I think I've finally got fed up with the Tories, and maybe it's time for Starmer to become PM.
  • I see people are bashing Rishi again.

Unmanageable?

All but six MPs voted or abstained to let the repor be accepted.

People are going crazy here acting like anyone who abstained was like Trumpists storming the Capitol on 6 January. In our adversarial Parliamentary system if people from one party abstain while the opposition is voting then that's effectively siding with the opposition by stepping out of their way and letting them win by default.

The number that matters is how many voted against and that was a pathetic, meagre 6.

6 oddballs is perfectly manageable in any party except the Lib Dems.

Unmanageable?

People are going crazy here acting like anyone who abstained was like Trumpists storming the Capitol on 6 January. In our adversarial Parliamentary system if people from one party abstain while the opposition is voting then that's effectively siding with the opposition by stepping out of their way and letting them win by default.

The number that matters is how many voted against and that was a pathetic, meagre 6.

I believe the Libdems have 12 oddballs.

Which is actually quite an improvement on the mid 70s, when they went for crooks and paedophiles.
    edited June 2023
    Question about test cricket umpiring: if both teams have used up all their reviews, should the on-field umpires have the choice of asking for a TV replay for close decisions? Because usually if they make a mistake, it'll be corrected by the players asking for a review, or it'll be the players' fault for not calling for a review when they had an opportunity to do so. But with no reviews left for either team, it means by definition there's no chance of the umpire's getting their decisions verified if they think it's too close to call.
    Managed to get a couple of photo credits (via his Facebook group) in this reviewer's Depeche Mode concert report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P1-W-eWX8I

Managed to get a couple of photo credits (via his Facebook group) in this reviewer's Depeche Mode concert report:

Some months ago I noticed that Jago Hazzard (https://www.youtube.com/@JagoHazzard ) used a picture that was credited to you. I meant to tell you but forgot

Everything Counts is my favourite DM song. Maybe they performed it at this concert.
    Andy_JS said:

Everything Counts is my favourite DM song. Maybe they performed it at this concert.
    I'm taking a ride with my best friend...

(NLMD, Paris, date unknown)
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Any news from the Baroness of Mid-Bedfordshire?
  • WestieWestie Posts: 426
    Does any pollster adjust for likeliness to vote by "likely to have acceptable ID and to take it to the polling station"?
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    rcs1000 said:

Unmanageable?

I believe the Libdems have 12 oddballs.

Which is actually quite an improvement on the mid 70s, when they went for crooks and paedophiles.
    Most people think that's the Conservative franchise these days.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

table

Wilson was clearly more to the left than Heath was to the right in 1974
    In the end though, the Barbour boom was a more conventionally left wing policy than the discipline of Denis Healey, albeit that such discipline was imposed by the IMF.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,572
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Bill Cash
    Nick Fletcher
    Adam Holloway
    Karl McCartney
    Joy Morrissey
    Heather Wheeler

and 1 unknown..
    Plus two tellers?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    @BloombergUK
    Britain has fallen six places down the global economic competitiveness rankings, due in part to “government incompetence”

https://twitter.com/BloombergUK/status/1670946191113060352
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:
    This is the key bit

Reading the wiki piece he seems an odd mixture, with quite a lot of apparently genuine liberal environmentalism in the style of Gore (who he endorsed), plus the pacifist and anti-corporate themes that have reasonably wide sympathy on the American left. But he adds to that a host of conspiracy theories, notably on vaccines, and has a Trumpian willingness to embrace outright lies to further his argument. The general impression is that he was a mainstream leftist who has in recent years gone bonkers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy_Jr.

I think it overgenerous to say he's gone bonkers.
    The antivaxx stuff is a very profitable gig for him, and he's made money on it for years. Cynical liar is more likely than 'bonkers'.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849

Nah. History won’t care about tonight’s vote (or not). It’s a paranthetical remark at most
    Farooq said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

Is this intended to be for what they did as PM, or across the whole of their political career?
    It looks like a really weak list of leaders when you just write it out.

But Thatcher/Blair/Major/Cameron must have been 70%+ so we’ve done ok as a whole
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

Actually I was a big supporter of Cameron, but his emptiness told in the end I guess. Ultimately he was responsible for two things: austerity and Brexit, both of which were big mistakes, with nothing else to make up for them. His corruption post premiership doesn't help his balance sheet.
    I’d tend to go with naïveté and greed rather than corruption… but still not a good look for an ex PM

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

Farooq said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

But Thatcher/Blair/Major/Cameron must have been 70%+ so we’ve done ok as a whole
    Major and Cameron 70%+ looks generous.

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

I’d tend to go with naïveté and greed rather than corruption… but still not a good look for an ex PM

David Cameron's evidence to the Covid Inquiry yesterday was uneventful. Apparently every decision he or his governments reached was correct. Of course, if you'd read his memoirs, you'd know that.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Nah. History won’t care about tonight’s vote (or not). It’s a paranthetical remark at most
    It’s all a sideshow for political obsessives. It doesn’t matter a hot to most people, I think the mortgage time bomb is of far greater concern and impact to people, along with other issues like cost of living and energy.

Farooq said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

To be clear was meaning that 70% of the time we’ve been led by 1 of those 4 all of whom were ok as PM regardless of your views on their politics
    Taz said:

It’s all a sideshow for political obsessives. It doesn’t matter a hot to most people, I think the mortgage time bomb is of far greater concern and impact to people, along with other issues like cost of living and energy.
    It does not even matter to Boris Johnson, as he has already left the Commons.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Taz said:

It does not even matter to Boris Johnson, as he has already left the Commons.
    Very true.

Farooq said:

Thatcher
    Blair
    Major
    Cameron
    May
    Brown
    Sunak
    Johnson
    Truss

To be clear was meaning that 70% of the time we’ve been led by 1 of those 4 all of whom were ok as PM regardless of your views on their politics
    Ah right. I misunderstood. But were they OK? David Cameron was our worst Prime Minister since Lord North. (Boris is sui generis; Liz Truss barely in office.) Cameron lost Europe and would have lost Scotland barring last minute interventions from Gordon Brown and Ruth Davidson. Austerity was at best misguided; NHS reorganisation disastrous; UC undermined by his own Chancellor; student loans; supporting house price inflation. Worst of all, though, is putting his thumb on the scales of democracy.
This discussion has been closed.